Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020891 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5500 on: February 01, 2016, 01:42:49 PM »
I'm trying to get started bringing lunch to work - finally have both a microwave and working fridge in the office for the first time in years! I didn't have the right size tupperware to bring food in, so it was difficult to do on a regular basis. But I just found some perfect lunch-sized containers on sale for about 85 cents each at Rite Aid, so I should be set!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5501 on: February 01, 2016, 06:13:01 PM »
I went back to YNAB after skipping a few months and realizing we were spending way more than we thought we were spending on some things. Sigh. It takes time to track money, but given how much we DONT save when we don't spend the time, it's time well-spent.

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #5502 on: February 01, 2016, 11:33:52 PM »
I'm working on eliminating food waste at home, so that means keeping in mind what we've got in the fridge/freezer and eating it before it spoils. Today, this meant switching the menu plan around when I realized that we had hamburger buns that were going to go moldy soon; tonight was homemade Sloppy Joe night (buns dispatched); tomorrow will be Fattoush, to use up the leftover naan I made on Saturday.

Was rushed for time when I came home today between Job 1 and Job 2, but I went ahead and packed a lunch instead of grabbing something at the school cafeteria. It turns out my pre-class office hours were held outside on a sunny bench while my students and I ate lunch together -- worked great!

Organizing tomorrow's Book Swap at the kids' school -- kids bring in books they no longer read, and a couple of days later can pick up and take home an equal number of new-to-them books. It's relatively easy to organize, fun for the kids, and frugal for everyone. Triple win! This doesn't save me money, but I feel like when we organize events that tie into the sharing economy, we help the kids and our community develop patterns and systems of sharing and frugality that serve us all well.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5503 on: February 02, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »
Rental house had an electrical problem yesterday. I have no electrical experience, but at a cost of 2 hours and $15 for a multimeter I fixed the problem! No electrician required! :D

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5504 on: February 02, 2016, 11:28:10 AM »
Got accepted in a summer study program in Europe! This will cost me, but because I got all my paperwork in early I got a small discount. I also did some legwork and essay writing and got a $1200 scholarship and am working on a few more.

Now I need to look into credit card airfare bonus points....

I renegotiated my participation in the family cell phone plan. Brother was splitting the bill evenly however several members upgrade regularly but two of us are contented with old phones and shouldn't be subsidizing their upgrades. All parties happy now.

Heat off the past several days during a warm spell.

Another week soda free!

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #5505 on: February 02, 2016, 12:36:36 PM »
Weekend round-up:

-Got my eyes checked for the first time in about 4 years and between benefits and money set aside in HSA, I didn't pay a thing, but got new glasses and new Rx sunglasses. Less than $5 left in FSA so that's the max I'll lose if I don't use it (can only go on eye or dental since I also have an HSA).

-Didn't drive anywhere Sunday - stayed in and made a large batch of sour cream enchiladas that were dinner, and also lunch for the rest of the week.
-repaired DD's skirt (sewed)

-got pulled over by military police but avoided a citation (I swear I stopped at that four-way) and he also pointed out that my out-of-state registration expired several months ago (holy shit!). He didn't call the county police (thank you, thank you, thank you) but warned me to get it taken care of right away. (Sir, yes sir!) So he saved me an expensive ticket there. Will have to pay for new plates and registration this week, but it could have been WAY WORSE.

Wooh!  You are blowing my mind here.  I thought you could have an FSA or an HSA, but not both.  Is there a way to get both?  I have an HDHP and HSA, but will need some expensive dental work in the next few years.

YES. You can have both, HOWEVER, if you do have both, you can only use the FSA for vision and dental expenses. Because my basic dental is covered by my dental insurance, I only set aside enough in the FSA for glasses. If you knew you needed major dental work, you could get a quote and then set that aside in an FSA. Just be sure to use it all. :)

I thought it had to be an FSA that was specifically limited to vision and dental, not a regular one that you choose to only use for vision and dental.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5506 on: February 02, 2016, 08:23:59 PM »
Weekend round-up:

-Got my eyes checked for the first time in about 4 years and between benefits and money set aside in HSA, I didn't pay a thing, but got new glasses and new Rx sunglasses. Less than $5 left in FSA so that's the max I'll lose if I don't use it (can only go on eye or dental since I also have an HSA).

-Didn't drive anywhere Sunday - stayed in and made a large batch of sour cream enchiladas that were dinner, and also lunch for the rest of the week.
-repaired DD's skirt (sewed)

-got pulled over by military police but avoided a citation (I swear I stopped at that four-way) and he also pointed out that my out-of-state registration expired several months ago (holy shit!). He didn't call the county police (thank you, thank you, thank you) but warned me to get it taken care of right away. (Sir, yes sir!) So he saved me an expensive ticket there. Will have to pay for new plates and registration this week, but it could have been WAY WORSE.

Wooh!  You are blowing my mind here.  I thought you could have an FSA or an HSA, but not both.  Is there a way to get both?  I have an HDHP and HSA, but will need some expensive dental work in the next few years.

YES. You can have both, HOWEVER, if you do have both, you can only use the FSA for vision and dental expenses. Because my basic dental is covered by my dental insurance, I only set aside enough in the FSA for glasses. If you knew you needed major dental work, you could get a quote and then set that aside in an FSA. Just be sure to use it all. :)

I thought it had to be an FSA that was specifically limited to vision and dental, not a regular one that you choose to only use for vision and dental.

Yes, it has to be a special one. I ran into trouble setting up an HSA through MY employer because I could in theory be covered by my husband's FSA, which is not restricted. My employer offers a vision-and-dental FSA, but there's no reason for us to mess with that because we are not maxing out the HSA anyway.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5507 on: February 03, 2016, 08:51:35 AM »
I'm working on eliminating food waste at home, so that means keeping in mind what we've got in the fridge/freezer and eating it before it spoils. Today, this meant switching the menu plan around when I realized that we had hamburger buns that were going to go moldy soon; tonight was homemade Sloppy Joe night (buns dispatched); tomorrow will be Fattoush, to use up the leftover naan I made on Saturday.

Was rushed for time when I came home today between Job 1 and Job 2, but I went ahead and packed a lunch instead of grabbing something at the school cafeteria. It turns out my pre-class office hours were held outside on a sunny bench while my students and I ate lunch together -- worked great!

Organizing tomorrow's Book Swap at the kids' school -- kids bring in books they no longer read, and a couple of days later can pick up and take home an equal number of new-to-them books. It's relatively easy to organize, fun for the kids, and frugal for everyone. Triple win! This doesn't save me money, but I feel like when we organize events that tie into the sharing economy, we help the kids and our community develop patterns and systems of sharing and frugality that serve us all well.

LOVE this idea! I don't know if my kids' school would go for it, but I bet the Daisy Girl Scouts troop would be manageable.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5508 on: February 03, 2016, 09:31:58 AM »
I am sick at home today, so all I got was a "feel better" Starbucks coffee this morning when walking the dog. All meals will be at home and since I am going on vacation next Monday I am working on eating whatever is in the fridge.

- Pillsbury biscuits had to be used and I had an open bag of shredded cheddar. Voila: cheddar biscuits for dinner and probably for lunch today with a baby spinach salad.

- breakfast - open cereal box and milk that would otherwise spoil

- dinner - probably pancakes since I have to use up the eggs.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5509 on: February 03, 2016, 10:45:22 AM »

I love this idea, and it might be too late - but do you have the opportunity to add a few books to the pile for the kids who don't have many at home to give away? 

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5510 on: February 03, 2016, 01:42:22 PM »
I went back to YNAB after skipping a few months and realizing we were spending way more than we thought we were spending on some things. Sigh. It takes time to track money, but given how much we DONT save when we don't spend the time, it's time well-spent.

I need to get back to YNAB, too. I've been away a long time, and I'm back to my old habits of eating out very cheaply but much too often.

On the bright side, I've been car free for a week, and I've got a container of ice cream in the freezer which saves money by incentivizing not eating out for dessert or snacks.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5511 on: February 03, 2016, 02:54:01 PM »
- homemade lunch (sushi rice and edamame) and snack (dates!)
- received tax refund deposit and sent it directly to savings
- looked on amazon for free kindle books on a topic I wanted (and found several!)

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5512 on: February 03, 2016, 03:52:32 PM »
DH fixed two things that would have otherwise cost us much more money:

built-in microwave handle broke.  No way you could just replace the handle, but DH used a bolt and epoxy to fix it.  (He fixed a prevous micorwave with the same problem and it lasted years until replaced for other reasons.

Garbage disposal started leaking.  We don't use a lot (compost most things) but it was 10+ years old so exceeded its useful life.  Replaced it himself even though he hates plumbing projects.  Saved $200 - the installation cost if done by a plumber. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5513 on: February 03, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »

Garbage disposal started leaking.  We don't use a lot (compost most things) but it was 10+ years old so exceeded its useful life.  Replaced it himself even though he hates plumbing projects.  Saved $200 - the installation cost if done by a plumber.

Basic plumbing skills save so much money it's ridiculous. My parents call a plumber for a leaking tap, and seemed to think we were incredibly handy for hooking up our new dishwasher ourselves... I can't imagine paying a plumber for those tasks!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5514 on: February 04, 2016, 02:37:50 PM »
Attending potluck tonight.  Chose to make a dish (hummus and veggie pinwheels) that can also serve as m  lunch for today and tomorrow - for a total cost of about 5 bucks. 

(Bonus:  I expect that there will be tons of leftovers at the potluck that people will be begging others to take away . . . . so breakfast and dinner for tomorrow will probably be handled, as well.)

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5515 on: February 04, 2016, 08:13:56 PM »
Not really saving money. But did not know where to put this.

I am going to meet my ex-colleague for lunch tomo. Last I went out for weekday lunch was with this guy in Sept 2015. Am proud of myself for not eating out during the weekdays for straight 5months \mm/

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5516 on: February 04, 2016, 10:37:23 PM »
Went in to Time Warner to remind them that we are supposed to get a monthly $5 credit because we own (rather than rent) our cable modem. The gal and I hit it off and she ended up "rebundling" our bill which dropped the total cost down by $10 a month. Yay for decreasing one of our fixed expenses/utilities for the foreseeable future.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5517 on: February 05, 2016, 07:40:51 AM »
Did the week's groceries for the family: 60$CAD (or about 40USD). 20$ of that is for 3 gallons of milk, which is the lowest they can legally sell it.

Thank god for a well-stocked freezer and pantry. Meals planned include a Swiss chard and Gruyere focaccia, kale salad, chicken soup with veggies and rice, lamb and orange stew (the lamb is from the one we had butchered in the fall)... Basically, we're eating super well for that amount!

Also, I made a commitment to go check out the local wine-making place where I can get bottles of wine for 3.40(in a batch), rather than paying 10$/bottle at the SAQ (govt-run liquor store, yay Quebec...) We enjoy wine and are running low, so, after that MMM article from a while back, I wanted to give this a try. I'll update on how it turns out!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5518 on: February 05, 2016, 08:47:04 AM »
Found a Trader Joe's wine that is $3.99 and quite good. The Green Fin Cabernet Sauvignon, if anyone is curious. It's tart- I find most cheap reds are either syrupy or watery (bota boxes fall in to the bit watery camp, IMO). Not quite as excellent as their Coastal Cab ($5.50 per bottle here), but still very drinkable! Normally Grocery Outlet is our sub-$5 a bottle wine source, but most at my local location are in the $7.99-11.99 range the past couple weeks. The horror.

Pestered my work people until they paid the $75 gas stipend they missed from last month. Since gas is currently so cheap, this is essentially a freebie stipend. (Although the stipend doesn't scale with gas cost, so I need to enjoy this while it lasts!)

Found out DH's gas reimbursement (which is tied to actual mileage, not flat rate like mine), only reimburses at $0.50/mile, whereas the current IRS rate is $0.575/mile. Going to have him start tracking his odometer/mileage this year so we can write off the remainder there.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5519 on: February 05, 2016, 09:02:48 AM »
Yesterday: nabbed some free food after a work luncheon (that I was not invited to).  On the negative side, I ate a small sandwich and some mac and cheese and a blueberry muffin AFTER eating my full lunch (no bueno).  Although I did swim yesterday, and I'm super hungry on swim days.

On the plus side, there was SO MUCH LEFTOVER, that I filled my salad tupperware with more mac and cheese for dinner.  (There was still some left!) And I filled my smaller tupperware (2 cups) with leftover kale salad.  I'll eat that for lunch today.

Today: well, Fridays used to be the time when we ate out (pre-kid) because we were too tired to cook.  I am out of leftovers.  I have some brown rice/ quinoa that I cooked two nights ago.

So I put my last pound of dried chickpeas in the crockpot this morning.  I'll turn it into something for dinner!

TheBeardedIrishman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5520 on: February 05, 2016, 09:11:47 AM »
One of my clients  brought me in homemade enchiladas  so I ate it for dinner last night and have it for lunch today I'd why but I get a big kick out of free meals

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5521 on: February 05, 2016, 09:26:41 AM »

I've also been cutting down on my coca-cola consumption and drinking free water while at work. I still like a soda with my dinner, but I'm going to investigate prices for the smaller cans since I've not been finishing the 12 oz ones. Baby steps...

Yes! Fight the fight!

I went grocery shopping last night and did not buy soda. I literally salivated when I saw the boxes on the end cap but I kept my eyes on the veggies! 

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #5522 on: February 05, 2016, 09:40:48 AM »
Went in to Time Warner to remind them that we are supposed to get a monthly $5 credit because we own (rather than rent) our cable modem. The gal and I hit it off and she ended up "rebundling" our bill which dropped the total cost down by $10 a month. Yay for decreasing one of our fixed expenses/utilities for the foreseeable future.

NICE!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5523 on: February 05, 2016, 09:53:19 AM »
Haircut day.  Flowbee special for the two of us.  Saved $30+ just on haircuts today.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #5524 on: February 05, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
Booked a hair appointment for a new place that just opened using a coupon, $2.99 haircut! Better than my usual $20.

Brought my lunch/snacks to work, homemade southwestern chilli, salad, veggies and an apple.

Did my taxes last night, found out I am getting $250 which is going directly towards my emergency fund.

This is a Frugal February for me, I am trying to do a no spend month (except for necessities) and after doing an inventory of my freezer and pantry I realized I can probably go two months, buying only a few fresh things. I also have $40 in grocery points, so that is my February grocery budget.

I did spend $50 to unlock my phone but that’s because I am trading phone plans next month to save $30 a month (hopefully)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5525 on: February 05, 2016, 12:46:57 PM »
Found a very sprouted red onion in the cupboard so took it out and planted it in the garden. It will make a seedhead this year; I can collect the seeds and use them to try to grow red onion next year.

Made a batch of Erica's window cleaner recipe to use some incredibly disgusting blueberry-flavored vodka that we had in the house for some reason. Cleaned bedroom windows and sprayed down bedroom screens while I was at it.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5526 on: February 05, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
*  potluck leftovers for lunch today

*  put a crisp 100 bill in my wallet :)  It is a mind trick - when I start to feel "poor" I can remind myself that I am rich enough to walk around with a 100 bill in my wallet (yet being a large bill, I am extremely unlikely to spend/break it).

*  Going to a play tonight - I am helping with some set up, so get in for free.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #5527 on: February 06, 2016, 01:19:51 AM »
My husband and I like to go out for breakfast on the weekend but this morning I woke up early and was very hungry and had a protein shake, as A result when we went out for breakfast I only had a coffee saving $8 for my eggs breakfast I would normally have gotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5528 on: February 06, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »
Made a batch of Erica's window cleaner recipe to use some incredibly disgusting blueberry-flavored vodka that we had in the house for some reason. Cleaned bedroom windows and sprayed down bedroom screens while I was at it.

I haven't tried the window cleaner but I looooove the peppermint-scented all-purpose. It has revolutionized how I feel while cleaning the kitchen. For my wood floors, though, I just use vinegar and vegetable oil (smells like nasty salad dressing) because they are not sealed and really need to be refinished.

Used them today, in fact--Little Brother spilled milk eeeeeeverywhere and I used all-purpose to clean his chair and my salad dressing cleaner for the floors. So I guess that's my savings.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5529 on: February 06, 2016, 11:52:21 AM »
This was a somewhat spendy day for me because I rode into London. But apart from the train ride, I only spent money for a sandwich, two coffees, and a little pack of strawberries. I joined a free walking tour and explored more on foot by myself afterward. I'm planning to do more tourist things when I have relatives or friends visit, but I got some nice photos.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5530 on: February 06, 2016, 12:04:31 PM »
Boxed up camera lenses to send to KEH; should get a $35 check in the mail.  Also listed some 35mm film on eBay for a few bucks.

Breakfast was homegrown eggs with the ham I bought on sale before Christmas, sauteed frozen spinach and leftover homemade cornbread.

Left the thermostat at 56. 

Last night I used a coupon for a free bottle of Tabasco sauce

Staying home today and recreation will consist of puttering  around the yard and going for a long run.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5531 on: February 06, 2016, 04:35:21 PM »
Yesterday we took a homemade salad (tabbouleh with homegrown tomatoes and parsley in it) and homemade muffins to a potluck dinner instead of buying something to bring.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5532 on: February 06, 2016, 05:37:20 PM »
Back here after a couple of weeks off due to a weird and distracting situation.

This weekend's 'small things':

- having a long weekend away for a three-day event. Husband scored corporate passes through work, saved $160 on tickets and $100+ on food, bottled water, etc. Staying with a mate so accommodation is free.
- visited my grandfather yesterday, and he put together a box of goodies from his veggie garden: tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, etc.
- donated $50 to a charitable fundraising campaign hosted by a work contact. When I mentioned it to my boss he told me to claim it through expenses.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5533 on: February 06, 2016, 06:10:33 PM »
Started kombucha. "Bloomed" from one plain bottle I bought. 1 gallon for ~$4, instead of buying individual bottles.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5534 on: February 07, 2016, 03:22:41 AM »
Sold a fretless bass guitar I don't use.  $150 in my wallet, more space in the apartment.  :)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5535 on: February 07, 2016, 06:41:25 PM »
Cut DH's hair at home.

Made Super Bowl food from leftovers. Meat and beans from Friday's taco night went on the nachos, and we made a BBQ chicken pizza using leftover roast chicken and an open bottle of sauce that was in the refrigerator.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5536 on: February 07, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »
Made homemade energy bars using cashews and dates! :) Threw 'em in the freezer for this weekend when I'll be out of town.
Saving money on road trips and while stuck in hotels during a convention = planning ahead.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #5537 on: February 08, 2016, 06:24:38 AM »
Started kombucha. "Bloomed" from one plain bottle I bought. 1 gallon for ~$4, instead of buying individual bottles.

Tell us more!

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #5538 on: February 08, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
Didn't have the regular dinner leftovers for lunch today (was over at friends' for the superbowl yesterday). Shopped my pantry for a tuna wrap instead of going to Subway for lunch. Sent the BF off with a 2 for 1 Subway coupon for his own lunch, so that he can share with a collegue.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #5539 on: February 08, 2016, 07:22:16 AM »
I've been craving Chinese food and wanting to order take out from my favorite Chinese place, which ends up costing about $25. I will splurge on this occasionally but this time I bought frozen Kung Pao chicken on sale at Trader Joe's for $4.99 and made brown rice that I already had in my cupboard. It was every bit as good as the take out would have been, just $20 cheaper and no containers to recycle.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5540 on: February 08, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »
Eating from the pantry and not spending any money today.  (Fingers crossed that my attempt at vegan/gf "sweet potato cookies" turn out okay.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5541 on: February 08, 2016, 07:24:43 PM »
Had some milk that wasn't bad, but is past when I want to drink it (I'm very picky about milk... bad childhood experiences, lol). Using the InstantPot for my first attempts at yogurt making. If it fails, no loss. But otherwise- yogurt!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5542 on: February 08, 2016, 07:39:44 PM »
* Installed a new 21-shelf wall-mounted bracket bookshelf ALL BY MYSELF. Saved on the "installer" fee (minimum install fee $180) and used purpose-cut coated plywood instead of the store's premade shelfing (saved probably $10 per shelf).

* Made veggie stir-fry for dinner with some homegrown cauliflower and broccoli.

* Took the kids for free cups of Yogurtland frozen yogurt, as apparently National Frozen Yogurt Day is a thing.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5543 on: February 08, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »

Tell us more!

I'm not bracken, but you can definitely make a kombucha SCOBY starter from a regular bottle of kombucha. Best instructions are in Sandor Ellix Katz book The Art of Fermentation.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5544 on: February 08, 2016, 07:51:21 PM »

Tell us more!

I'm not bracken, but you can definitely make a kombucha SCOBY starter from a regular bottle of kombucha. Best instructions are in Sandor Ellix Katz book The Art of Fermentation.

Oh, I completely missed this!

Yes, it's SHOCKINGLY easy.

1. Buy a bottle of plain (not flavored) store bought kombucha. I have had good luck with Origin and Synergy in the past.
2. Pour into a clean glass jar
3. Cover with a papertowel and rubberband
4. Leave for 2 weeks. Come back, and your weird alien pancake is all ready!

To make your 'bucha:
Prep 1 gallon sweet tea- best results with black or green tea. Chai and herbals have compounds which inhibit bacterial growth, and you can end up with the wrong things growing instead. I do 4 cups water, steep 5 bags in for 15 min, then mix into a large glass jar (I saved a massive olive jar, works great). I mix with 1.5 cups sugar. Then add cold water to fill to 1 gallon. Be sure the tea isn't hot, or your Scoby will die. Once cool enough, with very clean hands, gently lower the scoby into the tea. Add the liquid it was floating in, too- good beasities still in there. Cover with paper towel and stick it in the back of a cupboard somewhere. Obvious things to consider- it'll absorb whats in the air. Don't stick it in with the cleaning supplies.
It'll take anywhere from 1 week to 1 month to ferment adequately. Just taste and see. Depends on temp, your culture, etc etc.
When it's done fermenting, take your scoby out and move it to the fridge. Your scoby will have grown a second scoby- the "baby". I usually keep the new one and compost the old one or give it away. Or, if we're doing lots of kombucha (ex was a huge fan), I would wait a week and stagger my batches with the mother and baby, until I had multiple jars in cycle.

Always store your scoby between batches in some of the finished liquid. Be sure to do a new batch every once in a while, or the scoby will "starve:

If you rebottle from the big jar:
a- do not use metal. For any of this. Acid + metal = bad
b- do not screw on any lids too tightly. Pressure can build. This can be disasterous (think glass exploding in fridge)

Anyway, it's pretty easy all in all. No fancy lids or one way valves required =)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5545 on: February 08, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »
Resisted  going to Chipotle for lunch when out running game errands.  Went back to the office and ate the leftovers I brought instead.

Didn't buy a jacket or any of the other stuff I'm sort of in the market for.

Made a delicious curry for dinner using up lots of random ingredients.

Packed some snacks to take on my work trip this week.  DH will drop me off early, so I'll have my yogurt and coffee before going through security.  Will also bring a steel water bottle and fill it at the airport.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #5546 on: February 09, 2016, 07:03:06 AM »
My driver's side windeshield wiper stopped moving yesterday. Took 5 minutes out of my work day to explore online forums, confirmed my assumption that it was just a loose lug-nut (not sure of the actual term), took another 5 minutes before leaving for work this morning to tighten it, boom, done. Colleague's reaction at work «wow, how did you know how to do that?». *Facepalm*

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5547 on: February 09, 2016, 08:45:28 AM »
Had some milk that wasn't bad, but is past when I want to drink it (I'm very picky about milk... bad childhood experiences, lol). Using the InstantPot for my first attempts at yogurt making. If it fails, no loss. But otherwise- yogurt!

Yogurt turned out great. Also, there is something delightfully cathartic about squeezing whey through flour sack cloth. I felt simultaneously domestic and dangerous. =P Lots of fun.

Now to convince DH that the left over whey is even better than the whey we take after working out, and he should use it for "protein shakes"!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5548 on: February 09, 2016, 12:43:18 PM »
Working from home.  I've got a pot of beef and barley soup simmering on the stove.

I recently discovered how easy homemade granola is. When I made granola before it took stovetop and oven cooking and several pans and required a dozen odd or expensive ingredients. And made more than a single person could eat in a year!   I've made it twice now melting a little coconut oil while the oven preheats in the pan I'll bake it in, mix all ingredients in that pan and just make a couple cups at a time. Perfect. I reduced ingredients to what I had on hand. Oats. Flax seeds. Pecans. Oil. Molasses. Spices.  Maybe if I can make this habitual I will add a few more ingredients for variety but it's nice to know I can just make toasted oats if I want and get a little cereal fix.

Oh!  And I got another $500 scholarship towards my summer in Paris. Boo yah!

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5549 on: February 09, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »
Today I went to the post office to send a parcel. After paying the human behind the counter asked me if I'm interested in their credit card. I declined as I already have one which gives me more benefits and doesn't cost anything.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!