Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3020017 times)

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9900 on: October 05, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
Learning to make beans in my instant pot.  I've got a 20 pound sack of pinto beans from Sam's club that's just been sitting around waiting for me to get going. 

So far I've learned that 35 minutes high pressure is not long enough.  Close, but not quite.  I'll do it 40 next time.  And use a bit more stock/water.
Frugalite in training.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9901 on: October 05, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »
Learning to make beans in my instant pot.  I've got a 20 pound sack of pinto beans from Sam's club that's just been sitting around waiting for me to get going. 

So far I've learned that 35 minutes high pressure is not long enough.  Close, but not quite.  I'll do it 40 next time.  And use a bit more stock/water.

wow.  Each bean is different, but I do black beans all the time in my instant pot.  Soak for about an hour, rinse, then 2 minutes on high with a natural release.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9902 on: October 05, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »

Pintos always take longer than I expect (45+ min unsoaked). And it varies depending on how much you make, I think (if you're doing natural release, anyway - more volume = longer release = more time under heat). 

PMG, are you cooking canned beans or something? :-/ 2 minutes seems crazy!
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9903 on: October 05, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »
-Took free carpool to & from work today (via my employer)
-Ate free breakfast, lunch & snacks at work
-I've given a lot of thought to our vacation next week, and have started compiling snacks & healthy options to bring with us for breakfast, eliminating the need to eat out for at least that meal. (We'll also pick up lunch stuff at the store when we arrive).
-I've been researching vacation options for a girls trip, and figured out that by swapping months, we can get 3 free nights & a $400 credit at the resort. (Las Vegas). Done & booked!
-Defrosted taco meat before I left the house, so we can have "Taco Thursday". The kids love it, and we'll be using up the remaining guacamole, sour cream, & shredded cheese.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #9904 on: October 05, 2017, 08:38:54 PM »

PMG, are you cooking canned beans or something? :-/ 2 minutes seems crazy!

IDK about 2 minutes, but after suffering through a batch of apparently old black beans, (where it seemed like 10% stayed crunchy no matter how long they cooked) I just got a fresh package from Natural Grocer.  Soaked about 18 hours and they were totally cooked after 90 minutes on medium slow cook in the IP.  I'm guessing 15-20 under pressure will do it for these if they're soaked.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9905 on: October 06, 2017, 12:57:08 AM »
It is nice autumn weather, so I walked to work for 75 minutes, while listening to a podcast. Will eat my homemade sandwiches for lunch and the free bananas provided by my employer. As it is Friday and autumn holiday for school children, a lot of colleagues have the week off. Therefore there is a lot of fruit left. I might take some apples home if they are still there at the end of the day. Otherwise they will be thrown away on Monday. I can make apple stew that I can use for an apple cake of just as a vegetable serving for dinner.

We are not going to our cabin this weekend as planned, because DH currently has so much pain in his leg when he sits that it is not possible for him to sit in a car for 5 hours. Therefore we will save a lot of fuel, time and toll money and can eat the leftovers in the fridge before they perish.

Apropos: DH has been seeing a doctor a few times since May without his leg improving, but he managed to google himself to a very plausible diagnosis. He will soon get an MRI that might confirm it (Paid for by his health insurance).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:02:15 AM by Linda_Norway »

gutts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9906 on: October 06, 2017, 01:38:26 AM »
If I don't swipe my credit card (which I treat like a debit one and always keep positive balance) anywhere tomorrow, it will be 5 days without spending a penny.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9907 on: October 06, 2017, 06:17:37 AM »
Teamwork: I remembered to send the $5 dog food coupon with DH last night, AND he remembered to use it.

Eggs were .48/dozen this week at Aldi, so we have been eating lots of them. I hard boiled 9 earlier this week and made tuna salad for lunches and left a bunch for breakfasts on the go. All of them have been consumed as of yesterday. I have 2.5 dozen left in the fridge, so I will be boiling some more. And also baking lots this weekend.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9908 on: October 06, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »
If I don't swipe my credit card (which I treat like a debit one and always keep positive balance) anywhere tomorrow, it will be 5 days without spending a penny.

Wait. So are you prepaying on your credit card?

...why? You're basically giving the CC company a loan. Just pay off the balance in full each month when the statement comes in, and you'll never accrue interest. It doesn't instantly start charging you interest! It's not until after the statement period comes to a close.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9909 on: October 06, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »

Wait. So are you prepaying on your credit card?

...why? You're basically giving the CC company a loan. Just pay off the balance in full each month when the statement comes in, and you'll never accrue interest. It doesn't instantly start charging you interest! It's not until after the statement period comes to a close.

I don't pre-pay on my credit card, but my credit card company pays me interest if I keep a positive balance! And while I get 0,05% on my savings account, my credit card company pays me 0,3%  (interest rates are crazy low in here).

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9910 on: October 06, 2017, 11:01:47 AM »
Yesterday was really craving chips and dip.  Did not go buy any.  Went home and ate random bits of leftovers.  Later made myself nachos.

Today basically the same.  Made a weird lunch salad concoction when I realized I only had 2 lettuce leaves.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9911 on: October 06, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »
-Unfortunately, had to drive to & from the office today, instead of using free carpool. (Times didn't work with unexpected childcare swap with husband's work schedule). Bummed, because I have really been enjoying it!
-On the plus side, ate free breakfast/lunch/snacks at the office
-We've gone two years without a Friday afternoon nanny, as my work schedule has been flexible. (I work Asia/EMEA hours typically, and everyone is already gone by the time Friday afternoon rolls around).
-Made almond butter for the first time yesterday, with almonds that have been lingering in the pantry. Bonus is that we're out of peanut butter, and I need it for a recipe this weekend. Will swap instead!

And, by far my favorite-I'm helping (per their ask) my best friend & sister with some financial challenges. I'm putting together sort of a "best practices tool kit", helping them review expenses, etc. I'm building a multiweek strategy for tackling things. It feels so nice to help, and I'm super excited about it to share what I've learned.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9912 on: October 06, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »
Eating the beans I made in the Instant Pot yesterday.
Frugalite in training.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #9913 on: October 06, 2017, 04:05:39 PM »
Walked to the market, even though it was hooooooot at over 90F. Just took a more shaded route and it wasn't too bad. I'm starting to really not like driving.

Cooked a crazy good lunch and had a nice craft IPA. I get almost sick when I see the prices of a beer at places around here. Same goes for coffee. So we save money and eat better than if we were like the rest of these sucka's who eat out every single day and night.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9914 on: October 06, 2017, 04:37:03 PM »
Noticed the daycare has a sign for a discount for biotech employees.
Asked if that was only for new registrations, and apparently it isn't.
Had my husband send an email that will save us $1,300 a year :)
Mega score!!

Called credit union that was charging me $3/month for paper statements, showed that I had asked for e-statements in July, got all fees reversed.

Have been helping out some WOHM friends with pick up and emergency babysitting. One stopped by with two pizzas. Thankful not to have to cook tonight!

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #9915 on: October 06, 2017, 10:00:35 PM »
Meal planned for the first time in FOREVER (like, since before I was pregnant). Made a point of "shopping our kitchen" - using our freezer meat for one meal per day, and at least 2 ingredients from our pantry for each meal. Our grocery trip tomorrow will be mostly fresh fruit/veggies and a few pantry items I didn't have on hand, so I'm looking forward to a cheap run for once.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9916 on: October 06, 2017, 10:37:30 PM »
Trying the dog on CostCo Nature's Domain dog food instead of Taste of the Wild.  $28.99 for 35# vs. $29.99 for 15#.  Managed to get out of CostCo without buying anything else.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9917 on: October 06, 2017, 10:57:55 PM »
Managed to get out of CostCo without buying anything else.

Impressive. Teach me your ways.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9918 on: October 07, 2017, 07:11:14 AM »
Last night I wanted takeout soooooo bad. I almost gave in, and then I came home and ate popcorn.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #9919 on: October 07, 2017, 09:42:34 AM »

Go with a list and stick to it, no matter what. The same as going to the market. We have done the same and get incredulous looks from others in line and cashiers. Always like "that's it?!?"

So far this morning I have saved money by drinking coffee at home and plan on eating breakfast at home as well. It would be super simple to walk to the numerous tasty breakfast options around, but homemade breakfast and homebrewed cold brew is top notch. Saving money is fun.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9920 on: October 07, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »
Shopped at the farmer's market with a prioritized list, and a budget.

Baked my own bread and pumpkin pie granola.

Spending the day close to home instead of going out and paying for an activity.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9921 on: October 07, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »

Go with a list and stick to it, no matter what. The same as going to the market. We have done the same and get incredulous looks from others in line and cashiers. Always like "that's it?!?"

Yes, what Thinkum said.  I've had an eye out casually for new soup bowls, and I spied and fondled a nice set there that I now want to go back and buy.  Resisted once, but should have gone straight to the dog food then GTFO.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9922 on: October 07, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
Had friends over and cooked dinner and dessert from scratch. I'm not sure if it was actually much cheaper to make the cake instead of buying one, but baking is more fun. I baked my grandma's variation on a traditional Dutch cake. It's incredibly easy and my grandma's cakes are famous. Plus, I love baking recipes that my grandma taught me because I have so many good childhood memories of being in the kitchen together. She's well in her 80s now and I saved her a few slices because she doesn't make it anymore. She still bakes a bit, but this cake requires some physical strength.

By cooking from scratch from the pantry I have also avoided going to the grocery store and buying things I don't need.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9923 on: October 07, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »
-Went for a hike with a friend. Free, and an opportunity for exercise+chatting
-Avoided lunch for myself at Costco by grabbing a sandwich from the fridge on my way out the door.(The boys did get lunch, so $5 on that). Had I planned ahead, I could have made & packed a lunch for everyone. So, fail on that part.
-Carefully reviewed/trimmed our Costco list, as we're leaving for Hawaii on Wednesday, and my parents will be at the house with the kids. They eat different things than us, so it's less wasteful to leave money for groceries, vs trying to guess.
-Made cashew butter for a recipe.
-Used up almond butter in a protein ball recipe, to bring with us on our trip, and reduce eating out
-Used up a variety of pantry items that I've been trying to get rid of, in a granola bar recipe. Felt so good to empty out a few bags of lingering items.
-Redeemed Bing rewards for a $5 Amazon gift card
-Combined errands to reduce gas costs
-Price checked mushrooms at Costco, and determined I didn't need the giant package. Picked up just a handful at the produce stand, saving $3.50
-Bought laundry pods (which are, IMO, a giant waste of money) for our trip to Hawaii. We have a free washing machine in the hotel, and will make use of it. The laundry pods are lighter than soap, and easier to transport. Shopped around for the "best" deal possible, even though it was still pricey.
-Making dinner at home tonight, and serving with a bottle of wine purchased on sale. No date night, but a fabulous evening at home. We may even get crazy & play Monopoly with the kids.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9924 on: October 07, 2017, 03:55:29 PM »
I wanted to buy ice cream while I was out and walking around.  I resisted.  My neighbor dropped off some cookies her daughter made...score!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9925 on: October 07, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »
Bit of a breakdown so I decided I wanted to dye my hair. Got a quote from a salon for $160.

Went to Sally's spent $15 and DH bleached it tonight and I'll dye it tomorrow

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9926 on: October 07, 2017, 10:03:46 PM »
Bought laundry powder at 50% off today. Enough to last me to mid next year.

Hula Hoop

• Bristles
« Reply #9927 on: October 08, 2017, 02:22:58 AM »
I'm packing lunch to eat on the train for the out of town excursion we're planning today.  As usual, we'll also bring refillable water bottles for the whole family.  On the way home we plan to spend the gift card that my boss gave me for Christmas on dinner at a nice place.  The gift card should cover the 4 of us.  Unfortunately, the gift card is to a restaurant that's quite far from where we live and we don't own a car.  However, the train home from our destination stops right next to it.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9928 on: October 08, 2017, 06:48:01 AM »
Today no money is being spent, did a long run, then plan to rest, clean, cook and eat.

Yesterday went scrumping, to an abandoned orchard; it's great fun, you get the most out of it with old hiking clothes, so you can confidently wade in amongst the nettles and brambles...I was a bit too late for apples, but got loads of pears. Now I need pear recipes, thinking a pear tart? Stopped in Lidl to pick up mozzarella, also picked up some bargain beetroot and tomatoes for lunches next week and no other unnecessary purchases. 

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9929 on: October 08, 2017, 07:01:47 AM »
Just a little buy nothing day - only eating from the fridge and only activities are free like reading and exercise.

For cooking, I've started to get really hooked on my Sous Vide gear - soo easy to get great results, and SO EASY to heat up frozen leftovers.  Today - steak that was orginally cooked a week ago.

nick663

• Stubble
« Reply #9930 on: October 08, 2017, 07:06:51 AM »
Switched car insurance.  Geico raised our rate close to $100 from 6 months ago and Progressive came in $322 less.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9931 on: October 08, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »
-Offered a soccer carpool to another parent (saving them money, and time). We tradeoff, so it all works out
-Wanted to make muffins to bring as breakfast for our upcoming vacation. We were out of all of the standard fruit mixins (how are the freezer bananas all gone?!), so I dug deep & used our "smoothie fruit bag". The smoothie fruit bag contains all uneaten fruit. It's a wild assortment of fruit, so I wasn't sure how it would play out in muffins. I defrosted 4 cups, ran it all through the Pulse setting on the food processor, and followed my standard muffin recipe. Success! My husband, 2 kids, & bonus friend have been raving about the muffins.
-I usually get a pedicure about 1x/year, before a vacation. My toes are in rough shape following a long run, but I'm going to give myself a pedicure this afternoon, saving around $35
-After an issue with over watering (someone forgot to turn off our hose), we decided to invest in a timer for the water system. It's about $150. I happened to research our local water utility, and they are offering $125 rebates! Woohoo!
-Making dinner at home tonight. My husband is grilling burgers & potatoes (it's still really warm here in NorCal). I'll make a salad, and we'll drink a few more glasses of the wine we opened yesterday.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9932 on: October 08, 2017, 04:52:56 PM »
Guys, we've hit 200 pages!

My small thing: I worked my way through a tube of hand cream at work, then five little airline bottles, now I've refilled one of the little bottles from my big pump pack of moisturiser at home.

(I probably sound like some kind of skincare fiend, posting about hand cream all the time, but the industrial grade hand soap at work seems to be just this side of acid.)

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9933 on: October 09, 2017, 01:09:32 AM »
I things go as planned today, DH and I will skip phones in the afternoon. That way I can use the electronic train ticket on his phone to travel to the city and back for free. This is the first time I am travelling to the city in the evening/weekend that we can do this trick, it was about time.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9934 on: October 09, 2017, 06:02:04 AM »
Weekend recap: Hit up thrift stores to get the kids' halloween costumes; got the youngest done for under $6 and the oldest for $4.50!

Took the family to a Fly In, where we ogled the planes, ate lunch, played in the kids area, fished, rode horses and a little train, pet goats, painted pumpkins, etc. Hours of fun. Admission cost was a side dish and a 2 litre of soda. Took an unopened bottle of ginger ale left over from our last bout of stomach bug and made a .99 box of brownies and a pumpkin cake I had been craving, but didn't want a whole cake sitting around the house. Hubs and I also volunteered working a few stations, so will return in a few weeks for a free thank-you lunch for volunteers.

Today starts husband's lay off, so he is spending it fixing the brakes on our truck, replacing a lock on one of the rental garages, and starting his "to do" list on our home.  A penny saved is a penny earned!

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9935 on: October 09, 2017, 06:17:54 AM »
I washed all of our cleaning cloths / rags. I always wash them, many people think that's crazy.

I have been advised by our washing machine repair man (having a washing machine repaired is apparantly also crazy, but the repair added 3 years to the machine's life so far for €35) to run a cycle at maximum heat without soap but with vinegar every month or so. I use a clean rag every time I clean, and I dry the used rags and then collect them in a bucket. Every time I run a maximum heat cycle I throw all the rags in the bucket in the machine. They get boiled for two hours so I'm sure they're clean enough to be used again. I know the hottest cycle is pretty bad for the environment, but so is replacing a broken washing machine. This way, I can re-use my cloths and keep my machine in a good shape for a longer time. It's 11 years old now and still working fine.

Hula Hoop

• Bristles
« Reply #9936 on: October 09, 2017, 06:32:23 AM »
Imma - is this a front loading machine?  We have one of those and now I'm wondering if we should do the same.  We have reusable rags too - mostly recycled from old clothes, sheets and towels.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9937 on: October 09, 2017, 06:42:07 AM »
Yes, it's a front loading machine.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9938 on: October 09, 2017, 06:49:21 AM »
I washed all of our cleaning cloths / rags. I always wash them, many people think that's crazy.

I have been advised by our washing machine repair man (having a washing machine repaired is apparantly also crazy, but the repair added 3 years to the machine's life so far for €35) to run a cycle at maximum heat without soap but with vinegar every month or so. I use a clean rag every time I clean, and I dry the used rags and then collect them in a bucket. Every time I run a maximum heat cycle I throw all the rags in the bucket in the machine. They get boiled for two hours so I'm sure they're clean enough to be used again. I know the hottest cycle is pretty bad for the environment, but so is replacing a broken washing machine. This way, I can re-use my cloths and keep my machine in a good shape for a longer time. It's 11 years old now and still working fine.

The vinegar is probably to solve problems with chalk.
Running a hot laundry is probably good from time to time.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:19:01 AM by Linda_Norway »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9939 on: October 09, 2017, 05:02:29 PM »
-Carpooled to work with my husband today. We don't normally work near each other, but he had a meeting
-Ate free breakfast, lunch, & snacks at work
-Took free (temporary) work carpool back to my house.
-Sold an ugly yard ornament for $5 on local Facebook swap. (It came with the house when we bought it.)
-Having leftovers for dinner. A yummy rice pilaf + chicken dish that is sort of fallish.
-Investigated getting the incentive for having a health physical. They cancelled it for 2017, but I still made my appointment. One yearly physical is covered 100% by my insurance, so no reason not to get checked out.

Larsg

• Stubble
« Reply #9940 on: October 10, 2017, 01:26:38 AM »
We reviewed all online subscriptions and cancelled anything we have not been using. This includes Netflix, any 30 day free trials we signed up for with no intention of keeping unless it knocked our sox off; reviewed our monthly amazon subscribe and save items and moved out anything we don't need or cancelled anything we no longer use or found at a better price; Performed out weekly food inventory of the fridge to see if we really needed to go to the store this weekend and determined we had plenty for a few more days; scrubbed sales for stores near us where we can buy those sale items in bulk; clean out the cars, backpacks, purses, briefcases of "Things" we hard in there that become "product replacements" on the shopping list - e.g. pens, pencils, sunscreen, hand wipes, snacks, etc. They get put away and counted back in our "in stock" inventory. This is a typical, exciting weekend routine for us, keeping track of our stock and re-evaluating if we really need to replace it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9941 on: October 10, 2017, 08:01:45 AM »

My strategy is to not get a cart - mostly to save time but it also means I can't get anything extra.  I'll happily be that moron carrying around 35lbs of dog food (that I buy for a friend), 2L of olive oil, 4lbs of bacon, half a gallon of heavy cream, 4lb of frozen broccoli, and 2 dozen eggs.

The trickiest part is holding/balancing all that shit while trying to show the receipt to the person at the door on your way out.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9942 on: October 10, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »

My strategy is to not get a cart - mostly to save time but it also means I can't get anything extra.  I'll happily be that moron carrying around 35lbs of dog food (that I buy for a friend), 2L of olive oil, 4lbs of bacon, half a gallon of heavy cream, 4lb of frozen broccoli, and 2 dozen eggs.
WOW!  I'm impressed!

Took my car to get an oil change and resisted all of the upsell items.  This is the thing that I'm most proud of because I struggle to say no to "preventative maintenance."
Used a free shuttle to get to work
Packed breakfast, lunch, and snacks

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9943 on: October 10, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »
I took the leftover apples and pears from work and am currently cooking the pairs so we can have them for dinner as a veggie dish.

The previous owner of our house is going to pay us 18.000 Norwegian crowns (2000 USD), because he promised us cheap electricity that we didn't get. This is 40% of our electricity bill for the last two years. (We do not have natural gas).

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9944 on: October 10, 2017, 12:20:42 PM »
I convinced my wife to take home made coffee in a travel mug to a meeting she's having at a coffee shop.  She has lots of coffee shop meetings, if I can get her to keep it up it'll save us a nice bit of money.
Frugalite in training.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9945 on: October 10, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »
The organizers of the Fly In I posted about yesterday (one of whom is my sister in law) ended up with a bunch of leftovers, so she has been dropping stuff off to us. Last night it was 3 bottles of ketchup, a large bottle of mustard, a jar of salsa and a bag of tortilla chips. Tonight it was 64 sausage patties, 4 huge onions, a bag of apples, about 8 potatoes, and 2 full loaves of Texas toast. They were so happy to get rid of stuff, and we are thrilled to take it off their hands.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9946 on: October 10, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
Husband got trapped unexpectedly out of town due to work, and will be gone the next day or two minimum. I also had a long, tired day at work. But I drove straight home and immediately showered and put on PJs so I wasn't tempted to go buy something to eat out. Instead, found leftover roast and chimichurri in the fridge, and will follow up with some oatmeal with peanut butter and jelly in it. Weird meal, but way cheaper and healthier, I'm sure.

(Downside is husband had to go out to eat, so we won't pocket his per diem. But since this is turning into about 90 million hours of work, that will more than balance out).
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

FrugalAussie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9947 on: October 11, 2017, 05:45:57 AM »
Best ever buy from Aldi for me today, a ROTI MAKER.  It's awesome! 
I made 15 smallish rotis for a cost of about $2.  We ate three each and froze the cooked surplus. I cook a lot of vegetarian Indian food and have tried many time to make accompanying breads, no luck.  I'm thrilled, more than happy to pay the $25.
One more thing I can cook from scratch at home.
FIRE'd in 2017, aged 51. Not bored yet!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9948 on: October 11, 2017, 05:48:49 PM »
Negotiated down my car insurance, again.

We changed cars last year and the insurance company set up the policy to insure what we paid for the car, not what it would cost to replace it.

I finally convinced my husband to call and increase the agreed value (I wanted him to be part of the process so he's more aware of what we pay).

The agreed value increased by $15,000, and the premiums increased by $10 a month.

Me: Did you try to get that down?
Him: No, why would I do that?
Me: Well now our insurance has gone up.
Him: Yes, but the car is insured for more.

So I phoned them, asked what we could do to lower the premiums, and they dropped it by a little over $10 a month. I'm now paying less then I was before.

Him: Is this what you do, just call people and say, 'Yeah, I don't want to pay this much anymore?'
Me: Pretty much!

Saving $120+ a year and car is now insured properly.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9949 on: October 11, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »
I needed a few things for a birthday present, and the store offers buy 3, get 3 free. So I picked up a few Christmas things too!