Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020626 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9900 on: November 05, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »
Actively managed my travel rewards (hotel + airline) on my business trip, and will convert all of that into a free flight on my preferred domestic airline. I currently have platinum hotel status, which generates additional points bonuses. Trying to take advantage while I can.

I got in from my work trip yesterday afternoon & was incredibly jet lagged. Convinced my husband to pick up a prepared lasagna from Costco, vs all of us going out. Saved a good $30.

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9901 on: November 05, 2017, 02:46:16 PM »
I've been reading this thread for probably 2 years without ever bothering to register and start commenting.  I find everyone's everyday ideas so inspiring!  I'm a teacher, and this fall, I found myself in an untenable situation at my school.  Thus, after this school year, I will quit one half-time job and start scrapping together (hopefully) equivalent income via some online teaching and a lot of eBay.

We're still about 7 years short of our FIRE date, and I don't want to lose our steam, so I'm super dedicated to continuing to be Mustache-y.  I need to really push myself to boost our earnings this year, and I want to continue to trim our expenses as much as possible.

What did I do today to save money?  Well, it's National Guard drill for my husband, and on those weekends, the kids and I stay home and watch church via live stream.  Then we hang out and do household chores and projects. 

--Today I went for a rainy walk, gathered pop cans to sell to the metal man, gathered pine cones to make kindle cones with left-over candle wax. 
--I hung 2 loads of laundry
-- Did a Youtube yoga video, and used my Instapot to cook 2 squash from my garden.  They were damaged and needed used up right away.  I'm making some squash souffle as a side dish to go with pork chops. 
--Ate some leftovers that were going to go bad soon. 
--Counted cut patterns I'd thrifted (while watching church) so I can sell cut-but-complete patterns in eBay store. 
--Cleaned out 3 garden beds.  Found a handful of tomatillos and 2 cups of peppers still hanging out in the frost-shriveled plants.
--Sent off for 2 freebies I saw on Hip2save.com (possible stocking stuffers).
--Did some meal planning around current contents of pantry and freezer. 
--Husband is bringing home food from Army that likely has been out all day at the buffet and is non-edible.  Our chickens will love it, which saves on feed.

There you go!  I plan to be a regular contributor since it is such a great accountability tool. 

Horsepoor -- I live in Caldwell, and I'd love to meet up some time.  I have loved reading your posts in particular. : )

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9902 on: November 05, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
I've been reading this thread for probably 2 years without ever bothering to register and start commenting. 

Welcome aboard Mele!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9903 on: November 06, 2017, 02:58:13 AM »
Yesterday when I took a plane at around dinner time, I made a quick pasta meal with some blue cheese, cream, dried selfpicked mushrooms, and some spinage. Took it along in an old icecream container and found a plastic spoon at home. At this cold at the airport where all the food is very expensive.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9904 on: November 06, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »
(Welcome Mele!)

-Saved $75. We got a set of very nice dishes for our wedding a couple years ago. Since we eat alarming amounts of food (including big salads and stuff like that), we used two serving/fruit size bowls for eating from for a long time. Alas, this came to an end over the past two weeks when first one, then the second, met untimely demises. (Note to self: replace sink of doom with aluminum at next bout of DIY energy). When we looked up replacing these bowls? Drumroll please... $40 per. =0 And this is where the REAL win comes in. I had us go to a couple stores and we couldn't find good cheap replacements. We didn't want them tall/skinny like a mixing bowl, and those dimensions are hard to find. And then my husband, who classically has avoided thrift stores with all his might, suggested goodwill. Brilliant! $4.98 later, we have two fair replacements, made of pyrex. So not only is the win the money, the win is realizing just how much of a true mustachian my husband is now! To think, he would suggest Goodwill and I wouldn't even think of it!
-Once again prepped a metric amount of food for the work week. (This week: burgers, sausage breakfast sandwich, chicken pesto rice bowls, cranberry applesauce (with free apples!), and pulled pork).
-Resisted coffee while out and about yesterday. Going on a couple months without buying coffee out (for me. Husband has once, but just black drip, and only on 14+ hr travel work days). 
-Picked up a $6 long sleeve base layer at Costco yesterday that DH will try as a rashguard work around for BJJ. They're normally $20-40 per, so if this works, it'll be big savings. Especially since they don't have that long of life spans generally, they get pretty abused.

...we won't talk about how this will all be heavily offset by me dropping down from my FT schedule to a PT one at a lower pay rate ;) haha

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #9905 on: November 06, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »
Let's see.
-Yesterday I made dinner from the freezer (post travel, too jet lagged for any real meal prep).
-Went through the kids ski clothes to try on & assess what we still needed. Net/net, no clothes, but short one helmet. We will return the two pair of ski pants my husband bought & get a helmet instead.
-Sold & mailed three things on eBay.
-Today will eat breakfast, lunch & all snacks at work
-Charging our electric car for free at my office
-Converted international air miles (work travels) into a $250 Amazon gift card, & two $15 movie gift cards. All will be used for Christmas. Woohoo!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:21:26 PM by MaybeBabyMustache »

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9906 on: November 06, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »
Picked up someone's collection of vintage cast-iron skillets at the thrift store. Will refurbish for Christmas gifts and/or to resell online.

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9907 on: November 06, 2017, 07:01:20 PM »
I'm back!  Thanks for the welcomes : )

Today I hung a load of laundry, handwashed some cashmere sweaters, and made a meatloaf and improvised when I found myself short of some ingredients. 

I sold some boots on Craigslist for $100 (thrifted them for $25) and will apply it all toward a mortgage paydown (that's what I do with all C-list sales).

Leftovers for lunch.  Snack was apples I scored at local orchard for 30 cents a lb.  Kept the thermometer at 62 while we're at home, 57 if we're not.

My kiddo had a super awful day at school (fish sandwich for lunch, gasp! can you imagine!?) and then we had to go to urgent care because he had a stabbing ear infection.  After his rough Monday, I felt that motherly urge to take his sad little 7 year old face out for ice cream or some other guilty-parent splurge, but instead, I gave him extra snuggling and a long game of I Spy.

My day was off too.  Mostly related to being a parent of small children trying to adjust to the new time (+ some asthma attack issues).  Their sleep patterns are totally off which affects my work-at-home capabilities...and makes them naughty and grouchy.  On days like this, many people cave and go get takeout to make the day easier.  I didn't get everything on my list done, sure, but I also didn't ease today's stress by throwing money at it.  So that's win!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9908 on: November 07, 2017, 03:11:13 AM »
Checked my mobile phone provider (Amaysim) for any updates to data plans.

Currently paying $24.90 for unlimited calls/text & 1.5GB data every 28 days.

New plan available is $20.00 for unlimited calls/text & 2.5GB data every 28 days.

Going to switch as soon as the current billing cycle expires in 10 days.

I'm switching from amaysim too, but based on my usage I only need 1.5gb so I'm switching to Bendigo bank Telco, $14.50 per month for unlimited call/text and 2.0gb.  https://www.bendigobanktelco.com.au/sim-only-plans

Ahh I meant I'm switching between Amaysim plans.

I can't believe I didn't know about Bendigo Bank Telco! Thanks for the tip!

Not sure if I posted it earlier but I was looking at switching energy providers to Amaysim as well. Filled out the online forms and today got an an email from the current provider that they would like me to call them and they will offer incentives to stay.

After going through the sales pitch I've decided to stay, after having bagged a larger discount and $100 credit off my next bill. Given my usage is so low, that $100 credit is about an 11-12% discount off my annual power and gas expenses!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:19:04 AM by marty998 »

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #9909 on: November 07, 2017, 03:42:01 AM »
I live in New Hampshire, about 45 minutes north of Boston and I haven't turned my heat on yet. It's getting into the 30's at night. Indoor temperature has been low 60's (15°c).

I'm getting acclimated to a cooler house.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9910 on: November 07, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
I live in New Hampshire, about 45 minutes north of Boston and I haven't turned my heat on yet. It's getting into the 30's at night. Indoor temperature has been low 60's (15°c).

I'm getting acclimated to a cooler house.

Yes, me too. We're not at home most of the day and we're actively trying to get used to a lower temperature. And it works. This is the first home we have lived in with a programmable thermostate that show the temperature in the living room. The first winter, we maintained 17 degrees C (63F) and the roommate we had then kept complaining about the cold and turned it to 20 (68F) whenever he was home alone.

Last winter, we tried to keep it at 16C (61F) but sometimes when we were cold we would turn it up to 18C (65F) for a short time. This year, we haven't used it yet. Tonight we had the very first frost of the year and when we woke up, it was 14,5 C  (58F) downstairs and probably much colder in the bedroom.

Of course, it helps that we're not at home during the day and we leave the curtains open so warmth from the sunlight can come in. The room gets warmer when we get home and start cooking, it will naturally go up to about 17C. When it starts to feel cold at night, we get a blanket and some hot tea and when it gets too cold it's usually bed time. It's a fun experiment, but you need to keep an eye on the humidity levels. You don't want to live in a humid house and risk mold.

Other than not turning on the heat, what I did last night to save money is canning a load of pears. In my country we like to eat stewed pears and they are very easy to can. I found 4 kgs of pears that were 50% off. All in all I spent €7,25 on all the ingredients (pears, berry juice and cinnamon, with some cinnamon left over) and I canned 4 jars and we also ate approx 1 jar.  That's a cost of €1,45 per jar while they cost €2 in the shop and mine taste better too.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9911 on: November 07, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »
I also have not turned on the heat yet, we live about 20 mins north of Boston. It's the first year we've made it past Nov 1st.

Made myself a latte and save $5 not going to Starbucks , I'm starting to get pretty good at frothing :)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9912 on: November 07, 2017, 08:47:20 AM »
No-spend this week so that’s how I’m saving money! Grabbed a food bar I kept in my car for breakfast, have homemade caprese salad for lunch and plenty of leftovers for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #9913 on: November 07, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
-This one is truly small, but my husband runs the dishwasher after every meal. Even when it's not full. He's out of town this week, so I've already saved the cost/energy of two dishwasher loads, plus two dishwasher cleaning tablets. The tablets are $.08/each.
-As per usual, eating breakfast, lunch, snacks & drinks for free at work.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9914 on: November 07, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »
-This one is truly small, but my husband runs the dishwasher after every meal. Even when it's not full. He's out of town this week, so I've already saved the cost/energy of two dishwasher loads, plus two dishwasher cleaning tablets. The tablets are $.08/each.

Far be it for me to stick my nose in someone else's marriage, but ... you couldn't just suggest he wait till it's full?

We run our dishwasher when it's full, then save more power by turning it off and opening the door at the start of the dry cycle. It cuts 40 minutes off the full cycle.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #9915 on: November 07, 2017, 04:00:13 PM »

Far be it for me to stick my nose in someone else's marriage, but ... you couldn't just suggest he wait till it's full?

We run our dishwasher when it's full, then save more power by turning it off and opening the door at the start of the dry cycle. It cuts 40 minutes off the full cycle.

It doesn't even have to be all the way full. I generally run it once a day (unless it's so hilariously not-full that I hand-wash). I used to run it after every meal because my mother did and those things stick with you. What eventually got me was a really really loud dishwasher. Don't want to listen to that all day!

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9916 on: November 07, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
Ate up the last of some forgotten cereal that was slightly stale.  With yogurt, it wasn't bad at all.

Fed lots of scraps to the chickens to stretch our feed.  A few leftovers that didn't get eaten up, some apple cores, egg shells, that sort of thing.

Keeping house at 62 degrees.  Husband turns it up to 65.  I turn it back down. He doesn't notice.  Happy dance of marital bliss : )

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #9917 on: November 07, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »

It doesn't even have to be all the way full. I generally run it once a day (unless it's so hilariously not-full that I hand-wash). I used to run it after every meal because my mother did and those things stick with you. What eventually got me was a really really loud dishwasher. Don't want to listen to that all day!

I'm definitely the one who worries about the small things. My husband typically follows my gentle persuasions, but for whatever reason (habit, and a general love of constantly clean dishes?), this one is harder. We also have ants in the summer & they will get into the dishwasher (*shivers* So gross) if we don't run it right away.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9918 on: November 07, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
Tried making a pumpkin spice latte at home to avoid going to Tim Horton's and buying one. Not that great, let me tell you. Need to refine this more.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #9919 on: November 07, 2017, 05:50:34 PM »
Every darned day, I resist walking to Starbucks and buying a hot cup of mint tea.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9920 on: November 08, 2017, 06:43:59 AM »
Almost ignored a spammy looking email this week, but realized it was from my insurance company, offering a $5 starbucks card for registering on their website. So I did it in less than 3 minutes, got my gift card and it is printed out and set aside for husband's stocking.

Hanging laundry today, telecommuting and keeping warm by the fireplace. Tons of leftovers in the fridge from an open house at my mom's business this past weekend. She sent home loads of cut veggies, cheese, breads, and dips. I made vegetable soup for dinner last night to use up a lot of the veggies.

ForeverFrugal47

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • A Lannister always pays his debts
« Reply #9921 on: November 08, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »
I have some errands to run after work, so I brought my meal to eat before heading out instead of getting fast food.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #9922 on: November 08, 2017, 11:13:02 AM »
I've had a good couple of days:

-Eating breakfast, lunch & all snacks at work today
-Narrowly avoided a meal out last night, as we got home super late from kids soccer. I only avoided this by pre-prepping what I could in advance. Knowing that I had prepped fruit, veggies, set the table, etc meant I felt too guilty to bail & waste that effort by going to dinner.
-Charging my electric car for free at work
-Filled out power rebate for our electric car
-Consolidated old hotel points from a chain I never use for airline milesage. It wasn't a huge amount, but better than expiring.
-Converted mileage from last business trip to $280 worth of gift cards. (Best conversion is always a flight, but I don't use that airline for personal travel). Will use the gift cards for Christmas.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #9923 on: November 08, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
Changed my 403(b) contribution--upped it by 2%.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9924 on: November 08, 2017, 09:04:25 PM »
Biked to work instead of paying for public transit.

Cooked at home. Again.

Turned the thermostat down. Settled in with a sweatshirt on and a cup of hot water with lemon.

Life is good.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9925 on: November 08, 2017, 09:55:11 PM »
I was ready to give in and take a rideshare car home due to really overdoing it today (resulting in foot swelling and pain), but I ran into a friend who (through a truly unlikely series of events) had his car parked right outside the front door of the building we were in, and he gave me a ride to a subway station with an elevator, so I was able to go home on my transit pass with minimal pain. Savings of $20.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9926 on: November 09, 2017, 06:20:37 AM »
Yesterday - but biked to the pool hall where I play on a team. I ended up riding like 12 miles instead of 8 overall because my phone died and I only knew how to get there with a longer route. Yay for extra exercise?

My phone battery is complete crap. I've had it die literally within 15 minutes after having 100%. I was starting to consider a new phone because I thought it was software related and I'm tired of getting into these potentially dangerous situations without a phone. However, some people online have had luck with replacing the battery. Which is apparently only $10 online. $10 is much less than a new phone! I was fully ready to pay $50 if it meant the phone was as good as new.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9927 on: November 09, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »
Yesterday - but biked to the pool hall where I play on a team. I ended up riding like 12 miles instead of 8 overall because my phone died and I only knew how to get there with a longer route. Yay for extra exercise?

My phone battery is complete crap. I've had it die literally within 15 minutes after having 100%. I was starting to consider a new phone because I thought it was software related and I'm tired of getting into these potentially dangerous situations without a phone. However, some people online have had luck with replacing the battery. Which is apparently only $10 online. $10 is much less than a new phone! I was fully ready to pay $50 if it meant the phone was as good as new.

Yes, it is well worth investing in a new phone battery. DH's iphone4 had two new batteries during it's lifetime. My Samsung also has it's second.

shawn77777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9928 on: November 09, 2017, 02:47:34 PM »
Stayed inside today it gonna be a expensive day on Sat and my kids are out of school tomorrow already started some oven baked fries our local grocery has them for .98 for a 10 lb bag.  it my new fav recipe with paprika, cumin, S&P.  Also gonna make some bean and lentils meals this wknd!  Also worked out at home I've been fighting the urge to get a gym membership at golds.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:49:18 PM by shawn77777 »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9929 on: November 09, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
Had to work from home this morning so I had time to wash and peg the sheets before heading into the office.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9930 on: November 09, 2017, 05:13:20 PM »
Had numerous errands to run so I tool the bicycle. Got a nice 30 mile ride in and avoided driving. I think I ate more though, so maybe a wash - except the environment didn't have to absorb my exhaust from burning gas.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9931 on: November 09, 2017, 06:46:28 PM »
Made beer bread to go with dinner. Used a very old can of beer that had been languishing in the garage.

Made braised sea scallops for dinner with a garlic-lemon-butter wine sauce; the garlic and lemons came from our own garden.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9932 on: November 09, 2017, 07:50:56 PM »
Neighbour asked if we could collect their mail while they were away for two weeks.

They gave us a bottle of wine as a thank you.

jaronb14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9933 on: November 09, 2017, 08:16:34 PM »
Today I decided to cancel my cable subscription and stop wasting money on channels I don't watch. Going to stream what I want and use an antenna for local channels.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9934 on: November 10, 2017, 06:09:08 AM »
My s/o had invited me out for dinner (which we don't do a lot) but as I had to work overtime last night, I was home pretty late and he made a big batch of chili instead. We have leftovers too.

On my way home from work yesterday I stopped by the grocery store and bought some pre-packed food and drinks as I had to go to court for work today. We didn't know about the court case until yesterday (which is why I worked late) and I didn't have time to prepare something in advance. At least this way I avoided having to grab food and drinks on the go which is way more expensive. I think I spent something like €3,50 for drinks and snacks for the whole day and I drank water from the free water cooler.

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9935 on: November 10, 2017, 06:39:25 AM »
Yesterday I made a pot of venison soup.  It was last season's deer, so it needs to be used up.

Made $20 at plasma, which I use for buying treasures at thrift stores.  After that I thrifted for a few minutes, got $6 worth of stuff that I should be able to sell on Ebay for $90 or so.

Yoga on Youtube, saves a gym membership.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9936 on: November 10, 2017, 07:28:15 AM »
Neighbour asked if we could collect their mail while they were away for two weeks.

They gave us a bottle of wine as a thank you.

Must be in the water =) Our neighbor had knee surgery, and so my husband helped him move some heavy stuff and raked his leaves and took his bins out/then back in, and helped him tarp his truck for winter. Neighbor gave us whiskey. Then last night he was home alone bored and butchering the venison he got this year. We went over (sharing some of the whiskey he gave us) and went home with some great cuts- tenderloin and backstrap.

Making small amounts (vs saving): dog sitting again this weekend. Also posted about my experiences with it and shared my referral link to the website I use on facebook. A couple people expressed interest, so maybe I'll get amazon gift cards if they sign up and dog sit.

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9937 on: November 10, 2017, 09:56:47 AM »
Situation: I have a Samsung Note 4 refusing to hold a charge and my wife has a failing LG G2.

Former Me: Pick up a couple of iPhone X's on a monthly payment plan.

Aspiring Mustachian Me: Purchased a $10 replacement battery for my Note 4 and am eying the Moto G5S Plus for my wife. It's hovering around $250 on Amazon but I'll wait until Black Friday to see if I can get a better deal.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:05:54 AM by Crease »

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9938 on: November 10, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
Buying group tickets for the train with strangers so it will cost me 14 euro rather than 50 to visit my parents over the weekend :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #9939 on: November 10, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »
-Received a $125 rebate for 5 minutes of work for a timed sprinkler system we were going to buy anyway
-While on rebate web site, discovered that our Nest thermostat (purchased earlier this year) also has a rebate. Fingers crossed we still qualify (it appears so), which is $50 for another 5 minutes of work
-Dropped off library books on the very last day, to avoid a fine
-Prepped food for tomorrow's soccer tournament, saving food & drink costs
-Drove my electric car for errands with the kiddos. Too far to bike.
-Ate a random assortment of freezer things I didn't really want for lunch today.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #9940 on: November 11, 2017, 05:30:17 AM »
Was thinking about buying a down vest.  (We are in the middle of a crazy house renovation.  Place is torn apart and it's freaking cold in here.).  On a whim I tried on my 11 year old son's down vest (thrift store purchase) which he rarely wears. It is a little short in the torso but otherwise fits perfectly.   He told me I could have it, and I've been wearing it as an extra layer under sweaters.  Avoided buying an expensive item and repurposed what we have. Score!

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9941 on: November 11, 2017, 07:24:40 AM »
We have our own version of an urban tribe in my neighborhood, and we get together every Friday night for a pizza potluck.  Last night we hosted.  We've been doing this for 2.5 years now, and it's a great way to have a thriving social life without spending weekend entertainment $$.  (Plus, we've learned to utilize people in the group for house-sitting, babysitting, garden sharing, truck borrowing, moving help, etc).

Took my 4 year old to work (half day teaching) when his school was closed for PT conferences.  Saved probably $20 in daycare, and he played legos happily in a corner.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money
« Reply #9942 on: November 11, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
I picked a few kilos of frozen mushrooms today, cantharellus tubaformis. They taste very good. Half of them are in the food dryer right now. The rest will have to wait until tomorrow. They can be stored for years.

DH found out that gentleman's trousers have a very borad seam in the back. So he opened up a pair of 25 year old trousers that still look neat, made the seam narrower and now they fit him again.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9943 on: November 11, 2017, 09:23:16 AM »
I am currently sitting on a boat as a time keeper for a navigation rally. In return for accepting this free boat ride, I will also be given a free lunch later.

Volunteering is so rough.

TrademarkTer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9944 on: November 11, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »
My biggest vice is Dunkin' Donuts---none of the fancy stuff, just a large coffee every morning. Usually it runs me about $2.50 a cup (expensive, I know). Today I bought 4 holiday cards they are selling that give you 6 large coffees for $10. I also got a free beverage out of it from paying with my DD Perks card, and getting enough points for a free one. This drops the price to about $1.60 each. The cards don't seem to have any expiry date so I may pick up a few more tomorrow to stock up.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #9945 on: November 11, 2017, 07:36:05 PM »
-Got up at the crack of dawn (4:45) so I could get prepped for an all day soccer tournament (for kids). Made lunch, snacks & bottled water. Did buy the kids a bagel between games (it was a social event at Panera), but kept the cost to $4.50. All of the rest of the food & drinks were covered + free parking!
- Defrosted a leftover casserole from the freezer as soon as we got home, saving the cost of takeout or potentially eating out.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9946 on: November 11, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »
-Fortuitous timing- did coffee with a friend today. American Express had an offer of 15% off every starbucks purchase up to $5 until mid december. So I made sure to put my coffee on that card.

-Went to a store to buy flats for a job interview. Was shocked at the $60+ price tag. Instead of biting the bullet, I went to a store across the road (I even walked to it) and found a pair for $20. These shoes should also work for formal events- I had 3 times this summer I was very frustrated I didn't have good flats for, so these will also fill that role.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9947 on: November 12, 2017, 12:15:36 AM »
*Rejuvenated a beef stew from a few days ago by dicing the meat tiny, adding a can of fire roasted tomatoes and a can of water, some Worchestershire sauce and some beef bouillon...it was terrific!

*Baked a loaf of bread for tomorrow

*Picked up a free pair of socks at Eddie Bauer with a $10 gift certificate they emailed me Bonus: the socks are extra warm and fuzzy and I stayed cozy all night

*Baked a cake for company

*Drank homemade tea - I have some lovely Earl Grey which is $7.99 for 100 tea bags

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9948 on: November 12, 2017, 06:45:40 AM »
Yesterday we took advantage of free Veterans Day specials, combined with gift cards earned from work and customer loyalty rewards.  This meant a free coffee from Starbucks, 2 free Cold Stone ice creams, a full family lunch at Applebees for $6 total with tip and tax, and a free hair cut.

I normally want to hunker down on the weekends and work on my savings / income generation, so when my husband (the free spirit) suggested a family fun day, I thought, well, this is the day to go be spendypants without actually spending too much.  So we made a day of it, even took the littles to the cheap seats for a matinee.  Also did some good thrifting at 50% off, which is excellent inventory boosting for my eBay business, which I hope can provide 50% of our income by this time next year.

DayLight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9949 on: November 12, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »
I did 180 jumping jacks to get warm instead of turning up the heat! (That's my formula for body warmth production while working on my laptop. Apply every two hours.)