Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020759 times)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13750 on: April 16, 2020, 05:58:35 AM »
I refied my mortgage (30 yr 3.625% to a 15 yr 2.75% no points).

Also I pulled out my bread maker and have learned to make home made bread. I haven't run the math to see if it's actually cheaper, but it saved me from running to the grocery store to buy a loaf of rye bread to eat with our ham leftovers from Easter.

I'm kind of jealous that you can find bread yeast.

I saved the yeast from my last batch of homebrew and keep it in the fridge.  I feed it every few days with a few teaspoons of flour and water.  It takes a little longer for the bread to rise, but tastes great.  Its been working for me for three weeks now.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13751 on: April 16, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »
Used radish tops to make a kind of pesto - radish tops, garlic, oil and parm.  Tastes much better today than yesterday.  Making homemade pizza tonight.  Filled out a couple Anheuser Busch no beer purchase rebates online.  I've probably collected over $70 this year just from submitting rebates for things I already purchased.  Helps of course that I live in a state (NC) where the liquor laws allow for submitting the rebates without purchasing the beer. 

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13752 on: April 16, 2020, 02:39:26 PM »
I refied my mortgage (30 yr 3.625% to a 15 yr 2.75% no points).

Also I pulled out my bread maker and have learned to make home made bread. I haven't run the math to see if it's actually cheaper, but it saved me from running to the grocery store to buy a loaf of rye bread to eat with our ham leftovers from Easter.

I'm kind of jealous that you can find bread yeast.

Just in case it helps anybody:

https://www.boredpanda.com/yeast-shortage-life-hack/

https://zerowastechef.com/2015/02/10/happy-birthday-eleanor-how-to-make-a-sourdough-starter/amp/

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13753 on: April 16, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »
Taught one of the granddaughters (who is off to college this fall) how to make your own overnight oats. We had a grand and glorious mess with dates, pecans, brown sugar, chia seeds and leftover bits of blueberries and strawberries, all now jarred and ready to have the milk (powdered since we are on a stay home order) added at bedtime.

I love overnight oats. But I don’t bother to overnight them. Old fashioned oats are exceptional with the milk poured right on them. A great way to get rid of excess fruit and bananas. You should try it with almond milk.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13754 on: April 17, 2020, 07:35:10 AM »
Taught one of the granddaughters (who is off to college this fall) how to make your own overnight oats. We had a grand and glorious mess with dates, pecans, brown sugar, chia seeds and leftover bits of blueberries and strawberries, all now jarred and ready to have the milk (powdered since we are on a stay home order) added at bedtime.

I love overnight oats. But I don’t bother to overnight them. Old fashioned oats are exceptional with the milk poured right on them. A great way to get rid of excess fruit and bananas. You should try it with almond milk.
I like them a little crunchy too, but the consensus from Mr. Z and the grands is that the mushier the better! Thus the overnight...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13755 on: April 17, 2020, 09:02:46 AM »
Found some edible plants.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13756 on: April 17, 2020, 09:07:13 AM »
I prefer dry fiber one as the base, but rolled oats + water + microwave for a minute or two + add fruit and nuts is perfectly acceptable as well.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13757 on: April 17, 2020, 11:30:52 AM »
I just shaved my head for the second time since quarantine so my Wahl clippers have now paid for themselves.  I stayed home all day yesterday feeling ill with stomach distress, and I only spent money in the wee hours on an Amazon purchase of some new clothes.  When I do my essential weeks we’ve gone to business casual and so I needed some better blouses and a pair of new jeans to replace some of my thrift store purchases that are now worn out.  I’ve finished some craft projects that provided cheap entertainment as I chilled at home this week.  The yarn was a gift so even cheaper.
Beautiful work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13758 on: April 17, 2020, 05:41:32 PM »
Juiced oranges & lemons, given to us by a neighbor as thanks for walking her dog. We'll use the lemon juice in salads, and the orange juice for the kids smoothies.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13759 on: April 19, 2020, 05:58:22 PM »
Salvaged a set of sheets by repairing the hem. Dug up some lilac bush starts to send home with my daughter in law. The garden is sprouting! Have radishes, lettuce and squash coming up.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #13760 on: April 20, 2020, 06:15:32 AM »
Made hummus from dried chickpeas.  It was super tasty.  I just used the ingredients I had - and that didn't include tahini.  Turns out - I don't like the flavour of tahini.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13761 on: April 20, 2020, 08:04:37 AM »
Another neighbor offered us the oranges off of her tree. I picked the amount she'd requested, and then picked all that I could reach. We now have about 45 huge oranges to juice. They are very fresh & taste great. Yum!

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13762 on: April 20, 2020, 08:15:21 AM »
Made hummus from dried chickpeas.  It was super tasty.  I just used the ingredients I had - and that didn't include tahini.  Turns out - I don't like the flavour of tahini.
I love the taste of tahini...but couldn't find it in my small rural town. Ordered some from Amazon...then found it on the top shelf at Walmart! I use the canned chickpeas, tahini, salt, garlic and olive oil. If I'm feeling fit and fabulous, I eat it with celery or green peppers. If I'm feeling like I need comfort food...pretzels or tortilla chips.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13763 on: April 20, 2020, 08:56:41 AM »
I really wanted roast chicken today from one particular restaurant. Instead of ordering in, I googled how to make roast chicken, and then baked/roasted a whole chicken for dinner. Come to think of it though, I may not have saved much money, as we ended up eating the entire chicken in one sitting because it tasted so good.

Goatee Joe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13764 on: April 20, 2020, 09:40:36 AM »
Went to the grocery store with no list.  Just bought anything that happened to be on sale.  Got some cool stuff we don't normally buy, and saved a good chunk of $$.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13765 on: April 20, 2020, 08:40:32 PM »

Brilliant idea to prepackage the overnight oats mix you like, then add the milk at bedtime! I love the mushier oatmeal, but didn't think to batch the dry ingredients and then just add the milk as needed.

My little former-flowerbed-turned-victory-garden is doing well. We had a good soaking rain today.  There are cucumbers, radishes, sunflowers, onions, and lettuce coming up. No luck on the corn or the beans, but they were free seed so no harm done.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13766 on: April 21, 2020, 03:17:28 AM »
Got a free bookcase today. Picked it up on my push scooter. Probably looked very strange pushing an ikea bookcase precariously balanced on a scooter down the street.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13767 on: April 22, 2020, 02:49:15 PM »
Gave Mr. Z one of my amateurish, but better than they used to be, haircuts. Will be using the leftover marinara sauce on some pasta with ground venison for supper.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13768 on: April 22, 2020, 02:56:20 PM »
Read that last one kind of fast and I'm thinking "what kind of haircut involves leftover marinara suace?" Thanks for the chuckle.

travelbug

• Bristles
« Reply #13769 on: April 23, 2020, 11:27:07 PM »

I don't like tahini either, so I always make hummus with a nut butter instead. Usually almond or most often with peanut. yum!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13770 on: April 24, 2020, 03:42:07 AM »
We are not eating a ton of food anymore now we're home. When I'm in the office I need to get up really early and I rely on coffee and a large breakfast to wake me up. Now I'm home I wake up naturally, drink one cup of coffee and then have brunch around 11, so I only eat twice a day now.

Now we have so much time on our hands we are doing a lot of DIY and so far we haven't bought any supplies. I will eventually need some extra paint because the leftovers cans of paint from last time will not be enough to paint all 10 doors, but I think we won't have to buy any new wall paint.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13771 on: April 24, 2020, 05:59:53 AM »
Shot a 24 LB turkey yesterday.  Have him all plucked and dressed to make a couple dandy meals.
All it cost was a couple hours of my time and one shotgun shell.   Didn't even have ti buy a license since it was on our own property.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13772 on: April 24, 2020, 06:17:39 AM »
Called insurance company and put one of our cars "in storage" for next two months (won't be driving it anyways given pandemic) -- saved $100.  Also went ahead and dropped comprehensive on an older car and upped the deductible on our homeowners insurance -- will save another $250.

There's a few other tweaks we may use to cut down on insurance costs -- I try to save them for catastrophic risk only and rely on emergency funds for smaller risks. 

Best would be to shop policies rather than just call and reduce coverage, but it's a start. 

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13773 on: April 24, 2020, 06:44:18 AM »
Husband and son walked in the woods behind the house last night and found a small amount of good-sized morel mushrooms! First of the season...dipped in egg and flour, fried crisp with a shake of salt, gourmet food for a pauper price!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13774 on: April 24, 2020, 07:24:51 AM »
How did I save $ today?  Well first thing this morning I reorganized my refrigerator and put small containers of yogurt, pudding & Jello into a glass container so that they’re not loosely falling behind other bigger things. This should make it easier to pack my work lunches too.  I am also gathering up some things to donate to a nearby Catholic Church tomorrow that organizes food drives.   I threw out some sketchy opened tomato sauce and whipped cream before they made me ill.  Then around 9 AM Safeway delivered $247 worth of foodstuffs to my doorstep.  A good percentage was cat litter and other heavy stuff,then allergy meds,  milk, cream, Listerine, sausage, shrimp and dish soap.  (I’m only 1 person but I seem to be running the dishwasher every other hour!)  now to start the day’s eating and cooking!  Staying home can be fun.  I’m finishing a crocheted Afghan today too.  Saving $ at home and feeling sufficiently entertained. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #13775 on: April 24, 2020, 07:27:49 AM »
Last night we were greatly entertained and moved watching King Lear on YouTube from the Stratford Festival with Colm Feore playing Lear.  They are sharing a new play every so often. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13776 on: April 24, 2020, 05:20:56 PM »
Yesterday I salvaged a bunch of tomatoes from work. Today, I made homemade tomato sauce with a recipe from allrecipes.com. It only took olive oil and pantry spices and an hour of simmering. For the cost of one store bought jar I got three and half quarts! I don't have an immersion blender, so I MacGuyvered a solution with a bullet blender.
I poured the sauce into reused plastic bags. The bowl, ladle, and spoon were all trashpicked, and the apron was my first sewing project nearly 30 years ago. Frugality all around!
Hope I can get some more tomatoes this weekend. I'd like to do some salsa next!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13777 on: April 24, 2020, 06:18:50 PM »
I just mended two re-useable shopping bags. One from Costco, one from Trader Joe's. I think they have a new lease on life now. I found the heavy duty needle in my mom's sewing kit. Thanks, mom!

I also folded a bunch of zip-type bags and put them away. I always wash, line dry and re-use them until they fall apart. My clothesline is a couple of long shoestrings joined with spring clips. I clip it onto the bottom of the folding chairs that live on hooks on the wall of the garage. I have about 14 folding chairs, all of which were bought second hand or given to me. We found the brackets that serve as chair hooks in a box in the garage when we bought the house. I get a mildly subversive thrill out of hanging plastic bags to dry on an improvised line inside the cavernous garage of our stupidly HCOLA house.

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #13778 on: April 24, 2020, 10:46:28 PM »
My old pickup truck had flickering lights and a twitchy voltmeter. Decided that since it's for sale, I oughta look into it. Found the alternator was randomly over & undercharging, indicating a bad circuit board. Aha, I have a used alt on the parts shelf. Took apart spare and found the reason it was taken out of service was the brushes were worn out. Pulled spastic alternator off truck, opened it up, found brushes had plenty of life left. Desoldered brushes from alternator with bad diode/regulator board, soldered brushes into alt with good board, reassembled.  Installed "new" alt, works perfect, out of pocket expense = zero.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13779 on: April 25, 2020, 05:20:05 AM »
Felt like pizza today. DH made the dough, sauce, everything from scratch. Flour, oil, and tomatoes were all purchased on sale or in bulk. Dined al fresco on our balcony. Best pizza we have ever eaten. DD states that she never wants to eat pizza at a restaurant again. It was glorious!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13780 on: April 27, 2020, 09:52:16 AM »
Refinanced our mortgage again.  Was a bit weird signing paperwork with the notary in our garage at tables 6 feet apart, but we made it work.  Other than the closing, it was all done electronically, and was a piece of cake.  Refinanced from a 20-year fixed, 3.375% (about 3 years in), into a 30-year fixed, 3.125%, with negative closing costs (lender credit exceeds costs). 

Unsure yet if I'm going to pay a bit extra on the mortgage to make me feel better about the slowdown in principal payoff, but it's relatively immaterial in the big picture.  Either way, we'll be saving at least on the quarter point rate cut.  Still hoping to move within 2 years, despite the coronavirus hit to our FIRE timeline. 

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13781 on: April 27, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »
Today I didn't order any takeout or delivery food. Actually, I haven't ordered anything from restaurants since this whole Covid social isolation started. I cook each and every meal, most of them from scratch. My grocery bill is pretty high because I don't cheap out on groceries and buy what i want. Doesn't have to be organic but no rice and beans either. I'm learning how to cook and getting pretty good at it. I can make better meals than many local restaurants.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 10:02:43 AM by Padonak »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13782 on: April 27, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
-Sold an item on eBay
-Sold an item on our neigborhood swap
-Ate leftovers for breakfast
-Juiced lemons gifted from our neighbor. They were the biggest lemons I've ever seen!

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13783 on: April 27, 2020, 02:50:57 PM »
Vacuumed the car and truck at home, rather than the carwash. Saved at least a handful of quarters! As soon as its a little warmer out, I'll wash them here instead of paying $10 to $15 for it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13784 on: April 27, 2020, 09:16:49 PM »
Vacuumed the car and truck at home, rather than the carwash. Saved at least a handful of quarters! As soon as its a little warmer out, I'll wash them here instead of paying $10 to $15 for it.
Hahaha, I wanted to line up all our cars (!) in the driveway and give them a thorough cleaning,  but DH and DSS looked at me and said, "What for? They'll be dirty before we can use them again." Alrighty then. Hard to argue with that logic.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13785 on: April 29, 2020, 06:29:01 AM »
Hahaha, I wanted to line up all our cars (!) in the driveway and give them a thorough cleaning,  but DH and DSS looked at me and said, "What for? They'll be dirty before we can use them again." Alrighty then. Hard to argue with that logic.
Very true, but just think how long they will stay clean!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13786 on: April 29, 2020, 02:51:26 PM »
It probably would have been good to mention that we park our cars outside ;-)

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13787 on: April 29, 2020, 03:19:26 PM »
It probably would have been good to mention that we park our cars outside ;-)
OOPS! You have my sympathy...we built a large garage 2 years ago, but up until then my car was always the one sitting outside...at the mercy of every diarrhea-prone blackbird and cat with dirty feet!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13788 on: April 29, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »
-Cancelled & rebooked our flights for December, saving a couple hundred dollars
-Likewise, cancelled & rebooked flights for a relay for August. Seems unlikely it will happen. I'll save a $350 if the trip happens.
-Mailing masks to my sister using a really old stamp I found lingering around the house

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13789 on: April 29, 2020, 11:01:02 PM »
I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast for over a week and finding some delicious combinations.
Ate lunch at work. Filled up the gas tank for *18 dollars*. Used my Chase rewards card to get 5% cash back on it. 90 cents, which will almost get me another gallon of gas.
Been putting the saved money actually in my savings, which is getting close to a year's worth of living expenses.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #13790 on: May 02, 2020, 04:55:26 PM »
Went out for an early-morning easty-to-distance walk, and lucked into excellent curb shopping! Good-as-new Mac keyboard and a fairly powerful blender.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13791 on: May 03, 2020, 05:31:56 AM »
I love curbside shopping. The expats are starting to sell off / give away their stuff and will likely continue to do so until end of June. We found two purses today. Another house was giving away an Ikea chair. I wanted it but have no good place to put it, meaning that it would just be clutter, so I passed on it. I suppose I could have taken it and then sold it in August when the new expats arrive and are looking for furniture.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13792 on: May 04, 2020, 06:54:01 AM »
The power was knocked out by a storm yesterday. The last time that happened (early March), it took a couple days to get it back, resulting in us throwing out everything in our fridge.

So we loaded up everything in our fridge and took it to my in-laws' house for the night, saving about $150.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13793 on: May 04, 2020, 07:14:04 AM »
I salvaged the broken and crumbling post to an old birdbath (a tree trunk with a squirrel and dove on it) painted it limestone grey, and placed it in the flowerbed as a sculpture. Painted some dollhouse sized gargoyles, fountains and columns to match, added small geodes and succulents that I already had, and built a miniature sculpture garden in a flower box for the porch.

AnxietyFly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13794 on: May 04, 2020, 07:53:17 AM »
Updated my phone service from unlimited to 2GB. This saved fifty bucks per month. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13795 on: May 04, 2020, 11:59:55 AM »
We bought a newer car. Instead of a new one, we bought a one year old that had not driven a lot of kms. It had a loan on it, which scares away most people, as a loan folows the car. We removed the loan and transferred the car to us in the same process. We got wintertires and a roof box included in the transaction. It was by far the cheapest occasion we have seen in weeks.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13796 on: May 04, 2020, 12:06:37 PM »
Called the water company to request the yearly "summer watering discount." 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13797 on: May 04, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »
Is anyone here from CT and if so do you lock in on your heating oil price for the year? I have to lock in by June 30th and I have plenty of time. However, the lock in price right now is $1.00 less per gallon than last year. We use about 800 gallons a year for heat and hot water. I am tempted to lock in now but there is so much talk about oil prices being low. I am hoping for a further drop. I don't want to be greedy but I also will hate myself if I lock in and the prices go down further. Once I lock in, I am stuck. Does anyone think oil prices are going to go down further for home heating? Last year the price went down and I locked in early. Then shortly after the prices went down a bit.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13798 on: May 04, 2020, 02:36:47 PM »
-Continued listing items on eBay
-Leftovers for lunch, for everyone
-Continued yard project, so we don't have to pay someone else to do it. Removing ivy is a terrible project, I'm reminded
-Made a list of items I need to use up in the pantry & freezer

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #13799 on: May 04, 2020, 05:32:58 PM »
I sold three dozen eggs

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!