Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020649 times)

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6800 on: August 13, 2016, 07:51:09 AM »
Went out to lunch at a cafe with work friends today. I had my daughter with me and knew in advance. So we ate a bit at home first. Worked a treat. She didn't want any food! So she just had a juice, I had a water adn a light meal. Probably saved us at least $16 over what we would have normally spent in such a situation.

Went past cheap country fruit and veg prior to visiting my brother and got great prices on small pineapples (Childcare loves them, we have to supply fruit), bananas, carrots and potatoes. The Potatoes were small, but much cheaper than the more regular sized ones. I don't mind, I mostly cook them whole anyway (can't actually thinking of much that really requires big ones, apart from maybe chips).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6801 on: August 13, 2016, 08:58:34 AM »
Decided to just buy a light kit for the existing ceiling fan rather than replace the whole unit. We weren't sure on how the aesthetic would come together, but it looks great. $49 vs ~$150. And DH's electrical knowhow may have saved us bringing in an expert, or giving up and replacing it anyway. They had the lighting wires going to the fan doing funky things (technical term there...), but he was able to sort it out and get it working properly.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6802 on: August 13, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »
Spent the morning at the library getting books I wanted to read (free!) with my daughter, and then at the farmers market (acquired fresh cantaloupe, cherry tomatoes, and a pastry to share, for the exact amount of the milk bottle deposit we got back at the market). And instead of continuing on errands that might have cost Money, we both went home and had naps.

The toddler is still sleeping, and I just woke up and am having a cup of tea and a book. Glorious.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6803 on: August 13, 2016, 02:14:44 PM »
Really, really wanted to order a pizza for dinner this evening but finally dragged myself closer to the kitchen and instead made myself up a plate with some of the last bits left. Pitta bread with butter, a hard-boiled egg and the rest of a jar of olives. Not the most gourmet meal in the world but has filled me and further emptied the fridge. If I can manage to finish off the rest of the roasted veg, a tub of quark and the rest of the milk tomorrow, I won't have anything left that won't survive me being away for the week. And it also means today was a no-spend day. I need to have more of those.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6804 on: August 13, 2016, 04:23:20 PM »
I've been looking for  a new piece of horse equipment, but realized that I could fix the problem with my current equipment with a simple velcro strap I had laying around.  Saved probably $100-200, depending on what I might have decided on for a replacement.

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #6805 on: August 13, 2016, 05:50:37 PM »
Fixed the dishwasher!     It was an electronics fault, but a bit of research and about an hour of my time, I replaced a 30 cent resistor that had burned out, and it's back in action!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6806 on: August 13, 2016, 06:43:14 PM »
*went shopping in my freezer and pulled out: a Costco sized package of wraps, a bag of Costco salmon, a six pack of bagels, 2 loaves of raisin bread and 4 bags of frozen vegetables! Jackpot!

*helped adult son think of frugal, practical birthday gift for his girlfriend

*used a dried bean mixture languishing in the pantry to make a bean trio salad

*quinoa salad to go with salmon for dinner

*made ice cream from cream that I'd previously frozen when it was about to expire (got a Cuisinart ice cream maker years ago with points. Haven't used in two years)

*started a new routine of making steel cut oats in the crockpot for breakfasts. Made a little collection of toppings in jars that I will put out the night before.

*broke down and put on the a/c but can justify the cost because I was So. Much. More. productive today;-)

*Olympics! Go Canada!

*Husband and I used our free cup of tea coupons before they expire in 2 weeks - didn't buy loose tea there even though I'm out of my favourite blend

*Made a batch of black beans in the crockpot from dry. Will bag up when they are cool for instant beans for upcoming meals.

*harvested cilantro from my garden for dinner salads 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6807 on: August 13, 2016, 09:06:50 PM »
Did three loads of washing (cold water) and pegged them all outside to dry.

Pegging washing on my sunny new balcony (moved a fortnight ago) might just be my new favourite thing.

Things are drying so quickly, and standing outside with the sun on my back while I peg is just glorious.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6808 on: August 13, 2016, 09:32:09 PM »

Pegging washing on my sunny new balcony (moved a fortnight ago) might just be my new favourite thing.

Things are drying so quickly, and standing outside with the sun on my back while I peg is just glorious.

Now you've guilted me into hanging out the load of washing currently washing.

My work here is done. :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6809 on: August 13, 2016, 09:33:38 PM »

This is why I LOVE this sub-forum!!! So awesome!!

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6810 on: August 13, 2016, 09:34:53 PM »
A squirrel has been sneaking into my mother's garage and getting into the bags of bird seed.  So I looked on the local Facebook yard sale page and found a sturdy large tote with a good lid for $5.  Perfect for making a squirrel free zone in the garage.  Take that you little sneaky bastard.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6811 on: August 13, 2016, 09:36:06 PM »

There is almost nothing better than the smell of clothes dried on the line.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #6812 on: August 14, 2016, 12:16:08 AM »

I lied. They're still sitting in the machine. Who knows...maybe tomorrow.

Hang them up! They'll get icky in there and you'll have to wash them again!

This forum is not your mother ;-)

I too, hung my washing today, we've had a lot of bad weather the last couple of months and I seemed to always time bad weather with when I needed to wash. So glad I could hang today outside

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6813 on: August 14, 2016, 12:28:56 AM »
Feeling blergh so I reeeaaally didn't want to do anything except lie on the couch, but I forced myself to put together a curry in the slow cooker so that I'll have lunches for the week. Maybe I will even rustle up the willpower to bake bread today.

Ordered a heap of ovulation and pregnancy tests on ebay. So much cheaper than in the shops!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6814 on: August 14, 2016, 01:13:50 AM »
Needed a new powerboard for new apartment, so I bought one with individual switches. Makes it easier to turn on/off multiple devices at the wall.

Listed a few more little things on eBay. Decided to list a big thing on eBay but missed my chance to take photos now that the sun has gone down. A project for another day.

Parcelled up lunch leftovers for work lunches.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #6815 on: August 14, 2016, 10:52:05 AM »
Hung out laundry yesterday. The weather was just perfect, and it was a nice Zenny couple of minutes.

Also picked about 3 cups of raspberries from the garden, ate one, froze two. And made a cheap but surprisingly good lentil thing with bacon, canned tomatoes, and Korean chili flakes.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6816 on: August 14, 2016, 11:16:50 AM »
Found really good scrubs at Goodwill. $4.99 each for pants and a top (wink brand) and the top still had tags on. Was getting ready to drop $30-40 per piece at a scrub shop for exactly the same things. Very excited.

Buying a reel mower, like new, from CL today. $100. Would be $200+ to get new. And it'll save us $ in the long run not to have a motorized one.

My favorite way to save money: relative just had a *very* successful alaskan fishing trip, but his storage freezer is still pretty full from a couple years ago. He doesn't want to rent a new one, and since it's "old" meat, he doesn't want to gift it to friends. I think I can figure out something to do with all that extra fish ;) THIS is why I have a chest freezer. Will probably be getting 2 full coolers of alaskan halibut and salmon. And he's acting like I'm doing HIM a favor. Sometimes, I really really love family. (And fish tacos. I really love fish tacos).

A couple of these might be repeats, but have been in the past week:
Giving up drinking. Short term spending (bought some bitters so we can make mocktails- $20 for two different types), but long term we will save lots! ...we really like wine haha.

Got our home gym set up and running after our move. Will save $40/month. (This is cheating savings though, we've been doing this for over a year now).

I did a good enough job with the steam cleaner I borrowed from my in laws that we aren't going to get professional cleaning after all. Also, looking for a runner rug to cover the one area of wear so we don't have to replace the carpets right away.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6817 on: August 14, 2016, 11:35:42 AM »
I hung the towels out in the sun just to air them out and stretch time between washes.

I'm making a few custom storage boxes, covering them with inexpensive fabric I've had around for years. I made handled with twill tape I saved from a gift someone gave me.  These will match all the boxes I made last year. ;) and help the place look a little more tidy. Equivalent of about $60 at target.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6818 on: August 14, 2016, 01:59:54 PM »
Cheap cover I bought for my phone when I bought it a couple of years ago was looking very, very bad so I've been thinking for a while I should get a new one. Then I decided to see if I could DIY it. Found some old craft glue (I got it to make something for my sister's wedding and she just celebrated her 10th anniversary so I'm pleased that it still works) and some material and just glued it into place. Won't win any prizes but from the outside it now looks much more respectable.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6819 on: August 14, 2016, 02:47:03 PM »
Brackenjoy - good score on the fish!!! A thought on the giving up of wine. Husband and I used to have the (bad) habit of having a Diet Pepsi together when he got home from work every night. I thought I loved the Pepsi, but actually it was mostly just the relaxing and unwinding together that I was enjoying. First we substituted 100% juice and now it has evolved to tea time for us. YMMV

So far today:

*used up a ton of leftovers at lunch today - chicken and rice became
Wraps for lunch, some of us had leftover quinoa salad

*made a big jug of ice tea

*husband and I had a complimentary cup of tea at church this morning

*making ice cream again today with leftover cream

*collected all the money from our adult kids who had outstanding IOU's .. Grrr

*a/c is on but set 4 degrees warmer than I used to set it pre-MMM

*chicken from the deep freeze along with a corn and black bean salad I've been working on. May put in a loaf of bread from fridge dough.

*planned out a week's worth of meals

*working on a precise grocery list for tonite

*helped two sons order fall books for university - looking for used books on Craig's List and Used Bookstore on campus as well as textbook rental from Amazon

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6820 on: August 14, 2016, 03:34:29 PM »
Made another $30 on eBay overnight.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6821 on: August 14, 2016, 04:07:16 PM »
Having a big family dinner tonight.  To brighten up the tables I took the gardening shears and cut a bucket full of sunflowers, wheat grass, and other weeds from along side the road that I will arrange in old blue canning jars.  They are perfect for a country dinner under the big willow tree by the back porch.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6822 on: August 14, 2016, 07:28:25 PM »
Last night I cut Mr Happier's hair, tonight he will cut mine.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6823 on: August 14, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
We just made an arrangement with our neighbors to have the wife to drop off/pick up our daughter when it starts in a few weeks. Our childcare cost just dropped from a minimum of $355 a month to $125. She'll just be driven, no other childcare responsibilities are involved.

She will still have to have other arranged childcare on school off days, but makes no real difference because those days were always charged in addition to the flat $355 at $25 a day. She will also have to still go to summer camp. But still, very pleased. It would be nice if she could ride the bus, but there are way too many utterly irresponsible dog owners on the road. It is why our neighbor also does not let her son ride the bus and drives him.

Not really for financial reasons, but we have sadly decided that we can't in good conscious keep eating as much factory farmed meat. So we are cutting way back. Not giving it up meat completely, but not eating it every single night anymore. This weekend, I've been batch cooking some things like vegetarian chili, chana masala, and I just ate these black bean burgers, which were really good. Though note, I used bulgur instead of quinoa and added some ras al hanout (first time I used this spice mix in anything and it was so good!).

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6824 on: August 14, 2016, 08:58:51 PM »
Didn't get around to eating anything before I had to go to a volunteer event at a street festival  yesterday. Was there from 2 to 8:30, smelling funnel cake and grilled meats and pizza the whole time. Managed to walk past half a mile of food stalls and restaurants and food trucks to the El without giving in to temptation. Too tired to cook, so had a kefir smoothie to stave off temptation of ordering pizza.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6825 on: August 14, 2016, 10:49:41 PM »
* Picked up two pennies.

* Saved $1.50 on shampoo using a CVS store coupon.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6826 on: August 15, 2016, 03:41:43 AM »
I used a money off voucher in my grocery shopping, only £2.50, but every little helps. I bought a new toilet paper which was much cheaper so it all only came to £60.

Not really for financial reasons, but we have sadly decided that we can't in good conscious keep eating as much factory farmed meat. So we are cutting way back. Not giving it up meat completely, but not eating it every single night anymore. This weekend, I've been batch cooking some things like vegetarian chili, chana masala, and I just ate these black bean burgers, which were really good. Though note, I used bulgur instead of quinoa and added some ras al hanout (first time I used this spice mix in anything and it was so good!).

Good for you.:)

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6827 on: August 15, 2016, 06:48:48 AM »
Didn't get around to eating anything before I had to go to a volunteer event at a street festival  yesterday. Was there from 2 to 8:30, smelling funnel cake and grilled meats and pizza the whole time. Managed to walk past half a mile of food stalls and restaurants and food trucks to the El without giving in to temptation.

That is superhuman willpower.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6828 on: August 15, 2016, 07:11:40 AM »
Not giving it up meat completely, but not eating it every single night anymore. This weekend, I've been batch cooking some things like vegetarian chili, chana masala, and I just ate these black bean burgers, which were really good. Though note, I used bulgur instead of quinoa and added some ras al hanout (first time I used this spice mix in anything and it was so good!).

Yum!  I love chana masala and it's an excellent left over meal for lunch.  I'm also a big fan of black bean burritos -- super easy to make your own taco-style spice mix and takes almost no time to put together.

tortoiseshell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6829 on: August 15, 2016, 07:23:45 AM »
*Finished reading this entire 141-page thread
*Turned off the A/C (this was the first weekend we've ran it all summer, but what a weekend it was!)
*My in-laws are taking us out to lunch at a diner we've wanted to try but couldn't justify eating out ourselves for my husband's birthday
*Day 23 of no coffee.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6830 on: August 15, 2016, 08:09:43 AM »
Didn't get around to eating anything before I had to go to a volunteer event at a street festival  yesterday. Was there from 2 to 8:30, smelling funnel cake and grilled meats and pizza the whole time. Managed to walk past half a mile of food stalls and restaurants and food trucks to the El without giving in to temptation. Too tired to cook, so had a kefir smoothie to stave off temptation of ordering pizza.

We have similar victories! I wasn't able to get out to a festival in a nearby town that makes one of the most amazing food items ever that comes in a pastry crust. Instead of driving out last minute (gas) and standing in a hot like for 45+ min, and then paying for one, I found a pretty good copycat recipe and made them at home. Bonus: deliciously used up a fair amount of lard I rendered last year, AND I have two left over. I am delighted.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6831 on: August 15, 2016, 08:34:53 AM »
Didn't get around to eating anything before I had to go to a volunteer event at a street festival  yesterday. Was there from 2 to 8:30, smelling funnel cake and grilled meats and pizza the whole time. Managed to walk past half a mile of food stalls and restaurants and food trucks to the El without giving in to temptation.

That is superhuman willpower.

+1 on the superhuman willpower. No way could I have done that.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6832 on: August 15, 2016, 09:03:13 AM »
Went without A/C yesterday. 

Though it was mostly because we found out we can't get NBC reception if the A/C is on, and we wanted to watch the Olympics...so we turned it off entirely.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6833 on: August 15, 2016, 10:01:23 AM »
In Massachusetts the public transit system has temporary paper stored-value fare cards and plastic cards. The paper cards expire. BUT you can mail an expired card in to the MBTA and get the balance added to your plastic card. So I did.

A friendly bus driver told me this. It's not on their site anywhere.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6834 on: August 15, 2016, 10:11:43 AM »
Are the food still there today? My willpower went up in poof as I was reading your post...haha.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6835 on: August 15, 2016, 11:15:27 AM »
In between two weekends away, so the food supply is bleak at our house.  I scrounged together stuff for dinner last night.  I also made breakfast this morning and packed my lunch. 

I think dinner this evening will be quinoa with frozen vegetables and a homemade vinaigrette.  I need to stretch the food at home for another 3 days.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6836 on: August 15, 2016, 12:18:09 PM »
Apparently the festival took up the last of my willpower. Stopped for breakfast on the way into our downtown office this morning. However, instead of following my plan to stop at Starbucks for coffee+sandwich, I went to the Dunkin next door instead. I mean it was still spendypants, but slightly less so. I also brought some tea bags from home so I'm not tempted to repeat-offend today.

Good news is hubs is working almost every night this week, so we're less likely to eat out. He's super picky, so cooking for myself means I can be adventurous and actually incorporate vegetables.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6837 on: August 15, 2016, 12:36:38 PM »
Was working from home today, so I made a mindblowing cream of tomato soup with fresh bread and brie for lunch (well, ok, the brie was leftover from a party cheeseplate). Total cost of lunch including the portion of cheese: 1$. AND we have leftovers for 3 more lunches.

Better still, I ate lunch on the porch overlooking the lake, listening to birds signing and not having to interact with a single person. If that's not happiness, I dunno what is.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6838 on: August 15, 2016, 12:40:17 PM »
DH's high school reunion was poorly attended, so he brought home leftover food. It fed him dinner on Saturday night, and both of us plus the little man and a visiting sibling for lunch today.

I picked up a mattress for my brother via the neighborhood buy/sell group. It came with a simple metal frame, which he doesn't need but we do. I'd planned to buy one for $20 at Goodwill, but free is better.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6839 on: August 15, 2016, 03:17:43 PM »
Leftover night at the Toffeehouse.  We have coconut curry soup, a couple hamburgers, and I'm frying up some tofu for kid #1 who won't eat the other options.  I raised the thermostat 4 degrees(hubby likes it at 73 during the weekend, yikes!).  Working to put together a school storage solution that doesn't look hideous in the living room, preferably from whatever's out in the garage.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6840 on: August 15, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
Made another $20 on eBay overnight.

That spurred me on to come up with even more things to list.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #6841 on: August 15, 2016, 07:43:38 PM »
Dammit. Woke up realising I'd forgotten to soak my Rolled oats overnight.
So I got a couple of hashbrowns and coffees at Maccas on the way. Damn.
So tonight I'm going to get a big jar at home and fill it with Rolled oats (dry) to leave at work. I can use boiling water to soak them for half an hour when I get to work if I forget to do it at home. Doesn't work as good but will save me money (and time) in the future.

ElGrillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6842 on: August 15, 2016, 08:30:31 PM »
Sold a couple of things on Ebay for about $93, which after shipping and the Ebay/PayPal fee comes out to $75!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6843 on: August 15, 2016, 09:06:54 PM »
* Discovered that I can access the NYT.com for free using my public library card so called to cancel paid account. This will save $15 a month or $2,595 over 10 years, as per the great MMM post Short-Term-Itis, the Bankruptcy Disease.

* Had $14.72 refunded on another purchase by emailing and asking if a coupon code could be applied retroactively.

* Picked up a $1 parking refund I was owed.

* Sharpened Fiskars hand pruner all by myself using a gizmo I just discovered called Speedy Sharp. This should save me the cost of an annual trip to the lawnmower repair shop for tool sharpening.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6844 on: August 15, 2016, 09:20:35 PM »
I couponed!
I needed Cetaphil cleanser for me face.. normal price 11.99 - but printed 2x 2$ off coupons from coupon.com
Also had a 30% off cvs coupon
Went to CVS and saw if you bought 20$ worth of cetaphil you got 10$ back.
So all in all 2 Cetaphils had 7$ something off, then 4$ off and a 10$ ECB back.
So they cost only 3$ something for the two.. NICE! :)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6845 on: August 15, 2016, 09:25:15 PM »
* Discovered that I can access the NYT.com for free using my public library card so called to cancel paid account. This will save $15 a month or $2,595 over 10 years, as per the great MMM post Short-Term-Itis, the Bankruptcy Disease.

There's an app called Zinio For Libraries where, if your library is signed up with them, you can get free digital access to tons of magazines. Info: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-check-out-free-zinio-digital-magazines-from-your-library/

Apparently the festival took up the last of my willpower. Stopped for breakfast on the way into our downtown office this morning. However, instead of following my plan to stop at Starbucks for coffee+sandwich, I went to the Dunkin next door instead. I mean it was still spendypants, but slightly less so. I also brought some tea bags from home so I'm not tempted to repeat-offend today.
Made up for my earlier transgression by scavenging some sandwiches and fruit that somebody had catered in (I was the last person to leave the office, and they were just out on the counter). Dinner handled!

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #6846 on: August 16, 2016, 03:24:19 AM »
I made up for my Maccas breakfast indiscretion this evening by having microwaved potato with beans and cheese tonight. Made more than enough for work lunch tomorrow too.

Today found out that we are finally moving work office locations around November. This is several km closer to home for me, so close in fact that I will be able to walk every day to work (its about 4.3-4.8km depending on the route-the longer routes are nicer, mostly through parks and quiet suburbs). I'm working hard to make this work move happen as my quality of life will much improve, and I'll save at least $10 a week just in fuel costs (and probably double the life expectancy of my car in years).

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6847 on: August 16, 2016, 05:30:02 AM »
Dammit. Woke up realising I'd forgotten to soak my Rolled oats overnight.
So I got a couple of hashbrowns and coffees at Maccas on the way. Damn.
So tonight I'm going to get a big jar at home and fill it with Rolled oats (dry) to leave at work. I can use boiling water to soak them for half an hour when I get to work if I forget to do it at home. Doesn't work as good but will save me money (and time) in the future.

Ha! I can top that. I put my rolled oats and water and sultanas in a bowl, carefully calculated the time needed to preset the timer on my pressure cooker, put the lid on, pressed start, woke up and rolled out of bed this morning when it beeped to find... the bowl with the rolled oats and water and sultanas sitting on the bench (yes, outside the pressure cooker) and a nice hot bowl of water.

I still got it, I just had to cook it again.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6848 on: August 16, 2016, 09:23:58 AM »
I drove about 2 miles out of my way so I could go to the Kroger gas station and use my fuel points.  Probably spent about 20 cents in gas to get there (max) and saved about $4.20.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6849 on: August 16, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »
Last night, I cooked dinner with the ingredients I had in the house. 
I also made several loaves of zucchini bread because my zucchini plant is producing like crazy! 
I ran out of flour, so I froze the remaining shredded zucchini and pineapple to make another batch of zucchini bread after I buy flour.
I packed my lunch with leftovers from dinner.
I made all of my tea today from gifted tea leaves.  I have great friends!