Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3916371 times)

SimpleCycle

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12850 on: March 15, 2019, 07:58:03 AM »
Walked home from work yesterday, saving $2.75 and getting some exercise.

Arbitrage

• Bristles
« Reply #12851 on: March 15, 2019, 08:51:29 AM »
Gradual change I'm working on that carries the greatest level of delicacy - very subtly encouraging DW to trim back her work lunches out.  She used to bring lunches or stop home for lunch almost all of the time, but as her job responsibilities/stress grew, she converted to eating out at work basically every day, often with a friend or two.  Since her pay was going up as well, and she seemed to be using it as a coping mechanism, I didn't object in any way.  Over the past year I've been trying to whittle away at this cost without overtly criticizing or even pointing it out directly.  More of a leading by example, but without any preachiness.

Some progress - she now seems to be eating at home 1-2 times per week, and actually considered occasionally eating at work (with her office door closed, as she needs some time to escape the incessant demands of her co-workers). 

Man, those lunches get expensive, and as I've sliced our food costs elsewhere, they're really starting to stick out like a sore thumb.

Kookaburra Risotto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12852 on: March 15, 2019, 09:24:39 AM »
Bought several boxes of generic greetings cards. Works out between 25p and 40p per card rather £2+.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12853 on: March 15, 2019, 10:47:31 AM »
i guess this counts, paradoxically:

playing 1230$ for repairs to my old car in hopes i can get it to pass inspection, be safe, and get another 100k miles

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12854 on: March 15, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »
Two days ago I scored 10 boxes of childrens valentines for $0.10 a package. I got stuff that was relatively timeless, generic unicorns/superheroes/snoopy. I'm set for several years of valentine exchanges for my children.

At the same time I bought 11lbs of bananas for $0.216/lb, normally its $0.77/lb. They were overstocked and needed to clear them out. Some were perfectly ripe, others needed an extra day. They're all going in my belly or the freezer for smoothies or shakes. Freezing them at the perfect ripeness is a life hack I started a few months ago.

This weekend I'll try some Banana Ice cream recipes I found online.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #12855 on: March 15, 2019, 05:00:16 PM »
Went to the service desk a few weeks ago to get a raincheck for a sale item that the store ran out of and today redeemed it for two of the item.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12856 on: March 15, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »
Not me but husband: fixed my daily driver today with parts he got at a junkyard in the outskirts of the nearest city yesterday. We hit a deer on the way home Wednesday night, and it needed the front grill, both headlights, the AC fan, and a variety of other expensive piddly bits. Would have been thousands at a collision center (would have totalled it, really, and it's a diesel Jeep we searched months for). We paid $168 plus the fuel to the junkyard. And his time, which was really the biggest sacrifice just now.

MoolahLula

• Stubble
« Reply #12857 on: March 15, 2019, 07:04:47 PM »
I visited the grocery before work partly because I knew I would not have the energy after work, and so that I could get something decent for my lunch.  I bought some salami/mozzarella roll ups and a couple bananas.  Stocked some snacks away for future crisis days. 

Tomorrow Iíll be awaiting delivery of my new washer and dryer.  I used Ebates to make the purchase and cashed in some airline miles on gift cards to pay down $200 of the total price.  Ebates owes me a about $17 cash back for the purchase.  Iím looking forward to clean, thoroughly rinsed clothes again. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12858 on: March 16, 2019, 02:02:15 AM »
Pegged my washing on airers as it's very wet in Sydney today, and rain is forecast all week.

Pulled two half-portions of leftovers out of the freezer and ate them for a late lunch.

Washed two large coffee jars for pantry storage.

Stocked up on a couple of toiletry items that were on sale this week.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12859 on: March 16, 2019, 05:09:58 AM »
Gradual change I'm working on that carries the greatest level of delicacy - very subtly encouraging DW to trim back her work lunches out.  She used to bring lunches or stop home for lunch almost all of the time, but as her job responsibilities/stress grew, she converted to eating out at work basically every day, often with a friend or two.  Since her pay was going up as well, and she seemed to be using it as a coping mechanism, I didn't object in any way.  Over the past year I've been trying to whittle away at this cost without overtly criticizing or even pointing it out directly.  More of a leading by example, but without any preachiness.

Some progress - she now seems to be eating at home 1-2 times per week, and actually considered occasionally eating at work (with her office door closed, as she needs some time to escape the incessant demands of her co-workers). 

Man, those lunches get expensive, and as I've sliced our food costs elsewhere, they're really starting to stick out like a sore thumb.

It's a luxury that she can get home during the workday! For days that she can't, is it an option that you box lunches for the two of you so that both of you can bring your own lunch?

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12860 on: March 16, 2019, 06:19:00 AM »

It's a luxury that she can get home during the workday! For days that she can't, is it an option that you box lunches for the two of you so that both of you can bring your own lunch?
Funny, I was just going to ask the same thing.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12861 on: March 16, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
- We did a big grocery shop today and stocked up on items that were on sale.
- I darned a sock that had a hole in it. It's a hiking sock so it's pretty expensive to replace. They are also way easier to darn than regular, very thin socks.
- Had a free lunch at work yesterday and the lunch was so big that I didn't eat a real dinner yesterday, just a bit of yoghurt.
- We're having a friend over tomorrow and we are able to make all food from items in the freezer / pantry.
- I worked on a sewing project

This is not strictly saving, but a customer for my side hustle reached out to me and asked if I could do a small thing for him over the weekend. No problem, I was just going to hang out, watch Netflix and do some cleaning, so one or two hours of billable work is actually a nice break. I have only started less than a year ago and for both tax and business purposes I try to invest most of what I make back into the business. I need a new laptop within the next 3 months, so I can use the extra money :)

Arbitrage

• Bristles
« Reply #12862 on: March 16, 2019, 08:30:17 PM »

Funny, I was just going to ask the same thing.

My lunch is pretty simple and not something to box up for her, unfortunately.  I work out/lift weights at the gym at work during my actual lunch period, and then my lunch is a post-workout protein shake, a granola bar or two, and some nuts at my desk.  Not a lunch I would foist upon her.  Not a bad idea, though, to explore whether she would be more inclined to try lunches at work if I would put forth the effort to box something up for her.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12863 on: March 17, 2019, 12:29:03 AM »
I've posted elsewhere that my department at work has been sold.

As part of this, my manager has resigned.

This week she asked if I would continue to work for her in a freelance capacity for a couple of hours a month (in a way that doesn't conflict with my ongoing role with the new company).

I would have done it for free (it's worth much more to me to maintain this professional relationship, in case I decide the new company isn't for me).

But she insisted on paying me and offered me $200 a month. Not a bad side hustle, for work I was doing anyway.

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12864 on: March 17, 2019, 12:40:25 AM »
Itís finally getting warm and DD wanted ice cream from McDonalds. We went home and I blended a banana, a mango, and a cup of yogurt together, and made popsicles. Gave the leftovers to DD as ďmelted ice creamĒ. She loved it.

35andFI

• Stubble
« Reply #12865 on: March 18, 2019, 10:32:49 AM »
Went to NYC, took a self-guided walking tour, explored Central Park, and ate in Times Square all for $18 out of pocket.

A friend had to drive into the city for work so gas, tolls, and parking were reimbursed.
He invited me to tag along so all that I had to pay for was food.

Considered throwing a can of soup in my pocket (half joking) but felt that the experience of eating at a Times Square restaurant was worth $18 including tip.

Got a pulled pork sandwich with fries and a cup of water.

So much fun!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12866 on: March 18, 2019, 02:41:55 PM »
My son earned some money raking yards and I matched his earnings so he could deposit them all in his Roth IRA. 

middo

• Pencil Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12867 on: March 18, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »
I saw that fuel price in Melbourne was on it's way up again.  I filled the motorbike for $1.22 per litre, rather than the new pricing of $1.55 per litre.  I only put $16 in the bike, which will do me for a couple of weeks.  I figure it saved me about $4.20, just for being observant. 

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #12868 on: March 18, 2019, 07:57:34 PM »
Yesterday/today: actually meal prepped for lunches. My husband and I have a new rule where he cooks all the dinners (he's an amazing cook), and I'm on breakfast (cereal + nuts + fruit + yogurt or mylk) and lunches. I've struggled on the lunches side, but yesterday I roasted two huge trays of root vegetables, made an Instant Pot batch of Mexican style black beans, and sauteed a bunch of onions and peppers.

Put them together with some feta, cilantro and salsa verde and it was a delicious lunch... that I'll eat all week!

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #12869 on: March 18, 2019, 09:58:38 PM »
Waited until 8 p.m. to start the dishwasher (my utility company recently implemented higher rates from 5-8).

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12870 on: March 19, 2019, 01:45:12 AM »
I walked to work and will walk back in the afternoon. The part that goes through the forest was still with deep snow. One person walked before me with a longer pace length than I have. So it was a bit tiresome to walk that stretch.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12871 on: March 20, 2019, 11:55:12 AM »
A friend was decluttering and dropped off an unopened baby wash gift set to me... ordinarily I wouldn't have taken it, but I was able to turn around and give it as a present at a baby shower for a refugee mom-to-be.  I am also giving a cash gift (much more useful) but I felt obliged to present a wrapped gift, so I saved this way.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #12872 on: March 20, 2019, 12:11:13 PM »
I walked to work and will walk back in the afternoon. The part that goes through the forest was still with deep snow. One person walked before me with a longer pace length than I have. So it was a bit tiresome to walk that stretch.

You didn't ski?

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12873 on: March 20, 2019, 12:25:33 PM »
Saved $22 in parking by taking transit to my doctor appointment.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12874 on: March 20, 2019, 06:10:18 PM »
I started to change the rear shocks on my car.  There's an occasional rattle.  The Ford dealer said it's the shock.  They quoted me $700 to change the shocks.   I declined their offer.  I used YouTube to confirm there's nothing special about my shocks or how they're replaced.
Today, I was just going to take the wheel off and spray the bolts with penetrating fluid.
But I couldn't get the wheel off.  I couldn't get any of the lug nuts off, because the lug nuts are swollen. They have a chrome 'cap' on them, and (according to the internet) the caps swell when water gets in them and then freezes.
Rather than take it to a mechanic, I ordered an 'emergency lug nut remover' socket and solid lug nuts online.  Yes, I bought enough lug nuts to replace them all.
I priced them at two auto part stores.  The socket was only $2 more, but the nuts are almost $20 more (and I'm not sure if they are solid).

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12875 on: March 20, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »
Husband replaced a fuel sensor on his (18-year-old) car and borrowed the necessary tools from a friend.

middo

• Pencil Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12876 on: March 20, 2019, 09:32:08 PM »
Over the last couple of weeks I have contacted the company that sold us our washing machine with a warranty claim.  It is making a horrible bearing whine on the spin cycle.  Only 7 months old.  We have now a technician coming out on Monday to look at it.  No cost so far, and I'm going to make sure it stays at no cost.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12877 on: March 21, 2019, 02:43:43 AM »
I heard that it is smart to repeat children's vaccine as an adult, if it is more than 10 ago you last had them. I am currently 45 and didn't have those for some decades. I needed a doctor to make the prescription. Instead of going to my own GP and paying there, I contacted a doctor on an app. My company's health insurance pays for a free consult. I also ordered a prescription for free on that app. Now I just need to pay for the medicine, as I would have had to do otherwise. But saving for the doctor's bill.

35andFI

• Stubble
« Reply #12878 on: March 21, 2019, 07:25:00 AM »
Needed a polo shirt and some black shoes for a new side-gig.

Soooo I rode my bike 2.5 miles each way to get the polo shirt then 9 miles each way to get the shoes.

The shoes are gym shoes so they can be used not only for this job but also as my main sneakers when my current ones wear out.

If I were to have driven, it would have been about 22 miles so I estimate that I saved ~$3.74 and had a great adventure doing it!

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12879 on: March 21, 2019, 08:06:02 AM »
Fell in love with an image of a tiled kitchen island on Apartment Therapy, it was using these gorgeous stark black and white spanish style tiles. Decided I wanted to recreate it in my kitchen.
Priced out the tile (in a similar, but cheaper style) at around $80. We've never tiled before so we would need to buy/rent a tile cutter, buy grout, spacers, thinset...etc somehow this became a $200 project. Plus the danger of it looking terrible since we've never tiled before.

Decided to be crafty. Convinced husband to let me stencil the tile look with the premise that if it looked bad, we could just paint over it and no one would be the wiser. Bought some stencil blanks, a hot tool and a foam roller. Total cost $21. One weekend later, it came out great. Husband is very impressed and I love how much money we saved on it.

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12880 on: March 21, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
Fell in love with an image of a tiled kitchen island on Apartment Therapy, it was using these gorgeous stark black and white spanish style tiles. Decided I wanted to recreate it in my kitchen.
Priced out the tile (in a similar, but cheaper style) at around $80. We've never tiled before so we would need to buy/rent a tile cutter, buy grout, spacers, thinset...etc somehow this became a $200 project. Plus the danger of it looking terrible since we've never tiled before.

Decided to be crafty. Convinced husband to let me stencil the tile look with the premise that if it looked bad, we could just paint over it and no one would be the wiser. Bought some stencil blanks, a hot tool and a foam roller. Total cost $21. One weekend later, it came out great. Husband is very impressed and I love how much money we saved on it.

Nice job!  Care to share a pic?

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12881 on: March 21, 2019, 08:36:30 AM »

Nice job!  Care to share a pic?

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12882 on: March 21, 2019, 08:39:08 AM »
That looks fantastic, very nice job!

rivendale

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12883 on: March 21, 2019, 09:03:55 AM »
Very nice job!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12884 on: March 21, 2019, 04:31:29 PM »
Put in a health insurance claim from last year.

Normally I would have claimed it on the spot but it was tied up with a car accident and the other driver's insurance.

Glad to have it sorted.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12885 on: March 22, 2019, 07:05:45 AM »
Met my carpool buddy's at a free charger and left the electric car there to charge all day.

I do this 5 days a week, every other week so it isn't a NEW thing I did TODAY to save money but it is a thing I did TODAY to save money!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12886 on: March 22, 2019, 10:03:32 AM »
I've been busy with work, so this is a recap of a few things:
-Arranged for a variety of carpools & trades, to cover a day when my nanny had a conflict. Saved ~$50
-Same as above, but for a day off of school for the kids. Traded with other parents, my husband & I each did creative scheduling for work,etc. Saved ~$150? over a day camp for the kids
-Found $20 on the ground at an industry event I attended.
-Even though I had late nights all week, no eating out, as I'd prepped meals during the weekend

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12887 on: March 24, 2019, 08:06:18 PM »
I baked a cake for my husbandís birthday instead of buying one from the store. I originally told myself I didnít have time to make one but when I decided I didnít want to spend the money I magically found time for it.

middo

• Pencil Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12888 on: March 24, 2019, 08:15:27 PM »
I baked a cake for my husbandís birthday instead of buying one from the store. I originally told myself I didnít have time to make one but when I decided I didnít want to spend the money I magically found time for it.

That's great.  I baked on for my wife's birthday a couple of weeks ago, as she specifically asked for it.  However, mine sunk terribly in the middle.  It looked terrible, but was fantastically like a brownie, and we filled it with ice cream.  A few dollars only for a fantastic treat.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12889 on: March 24, 2019, 08:18:42 PM »
-Used up food from the freezer for dinner.
-We are slowly making progress on our yard. We bought it from someone who had a weekly yard service, and a bunch of high maintenance plants. We are our own yard service, so it's taken some time to get it into shape, and we're definitely not there yet.
-Arranged a carpool to a soccer game that was an hour's drive each way yesterday.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12890 on: March 25, 2019, 03:33:01 AM »

That's great.  I baked on for my wife's birthday a couple of weeks ago, as she specifically asked for it.  However, mine sunk terribly in the middle.  It looked terrible, but was fantastically like a brownie, and we filled it with ice cream.  A few dollars only for a fantastic treat.

Do you remember to keep the oven door closed during the whole baking process?

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12891 on: March 25, 2019, 03:34:39 AM »
Walked to work today, in nice weather. Most of the snow on the roads is gone, so it walks easily. Now just the stretch through the forest is left with a thick pack of snow. This morning the snow was crusty and unproblematic to walk on.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12892 on: March 25, 2019, 04:21:38 AM »
Met my carpool buddy's at a free charger and left the electric car there to charge all day.

I do this 5 days a week, every other week so it isn't a NEW thing I did TODAY to save money but it is a thing I did TODAY to save money!
Wait! Don't your chargers have time limits? You leave your EV there all day so no one else can use it? 

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12893 on: March 25, 2019, 06:17:08 AM »
-Had a hospital appointment that took longer than expected, so they offered me free lunch.
-Was able to travel to and from hospital off-peak which means I saved 40% on the price of the train ticket
-Went bra shopping and they had a buy two, get the third for free - deal. I needed two basic bra's and got a nice one for free.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12894 on: March 25, 2019, 09:18:55 AM »

Wait! Don't your chargers have time limits? You leave your EV there all day so no one else can use it?
Here at work we have 2 free chargers with a 4 hour time limit. There aren't so many people with electric cars here so they get to know each other and will try to time it so they can switch the spots when the time limit is up. Parking is difficult here so it works out for them. Not sure how it will go once we get more people with EVs.

middo

• Pencil Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12895 on: March 25, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »

Do you remember to keep the oven door closed during the whole baking process?

Yes. Thanks for the tip, but the issue is the oven runs a bit hotter than the one  in our last house.  I forgot about it and saved ut before it burnt, but soggy middle.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12896 on: March 26, 2019, 01:37:13 PM »
I cooked up a bunch of veggies before they went bad. I cut them up, put olive oil, salt and pepper on them and roasted them in the oven. So often my veggies go bad but I am trying to stop cash in the trash. I roasted beets, onions, cabbage and carrots.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12897 on: March 26, 2019, 06:02:18 PM »
I finally ditched my well-worn work pants which have been worn at least twice a week for two years.

On top of being worn out, they fell down if I even thought about wearing them without a belt, as I've lost some weight.

I found the same pants on eBay last night, in a smaller size, for $38. So relieved to be able to avoid going shopping!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12898 on: March 26, 2019, 06:33:12 PM »
* took the ELF on all my errands today so saved probably $2 or $3 in gasoline

* harvested chives from our herb bed for salmon cakes for dinner

* made an egg sandwich and coffee at home so stayed out of the drive-thru

Dianalou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12899 on: March 29, 2019, 12:34:53 PM »
Packed my lunch and augmented with snack items my office provides. Bought cards at the dollar store for a co-worker who just lost her sister and a family member recently diagnosed with cancer. Really doing a good job of combining trips so I'm not back tracking around town and wasting gas. Oh and I have .50 off each gallon of my next fill up from saving grocery rewards I get from buying the snack foods for work! My tank is almost empty, so most bang for my buck.