Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021034 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7400 on: November 12, 2016, 07:24:10 PM »
Listing items on eBay. I should be able to make a couple of hundred dollars.

I finalised my husband's expenses, $470 back from his company.

Lunch was courtesy of a baker friend, who brought me a huge bag of freebies.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #7401 on: November 12, 2016, 08:01:29 PM »
Used the last of our turkey meatloaf to make deeeelicious meatloaf sandwiches instead of caving and buying take-out.

Dinner, I finally used our cauliflower to make a nice curry cauliflower dish with some brown rice on the side.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #7402 on: November 12, 2016, 09:59:52 PM »
Have wanted adirondak chairs for our deck for a while, but they are low on the budget priority list. Last night, neighbors put out stuff for junk collection this morning. Among the piles were two huge Jimmy Buffett themed chairs, painted with lyrics, giant cheeseburgers, salt shakers. It is hard to overstate the awesome craziness.

Somehow, my husband had no idea who Buffett is, so they really made no sense to him.

Currently in the garage but once we figure out their new color they will grace our deck.

Also, picked up a bunch of extra bread from a German celebration tonight and will make a bread pudding tomorrow.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7403 on: November 12, 2016, 10:03:35 PM »
I just googled Jimmy Buffet... Crap.  He looks so old!

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7404 on: November 13, 2016, 12:26:12 PM »
Biked to Aldi today and found that it's cheaper than where I have been shopping.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7405 on: November 13, 2016, 12:33:03 PM »
Fingers crossed, but it looks like my husband successfully fixed our HVAC woes. It looks like, in spite of how several thermostats are advertised, they don't actually handle the hand off for dual fuel aux heat properly. As a result, our high pressure switch kept tripping. Previous home owner had HVAC company out 6 times since January. We had them out once. Luckily no cost to us on that visit since they didn't figure out what was wrong and just checked their old fixes. Anyway, after getting really into the weeds on the controls stuff (thank god I'm married to an electrical engineer) a super customizable $250 thermostat was able to solve the problem! We have receipts from previous owners, and they'd put over $450 into the various visits. I'll be very happy to have this resolved. PLUS, we can go back to the heat pump doing most of the work, so it should be cheaper in the long run.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7406 on: November 13, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »
I'd run out of lunch makings today. I heated up a quarter jar of Classico pasta sauce (a leftover) and the same amount of water, and ended up with a large bowl of tasty tomato soup, with nice bits of tomato and Italian sausage.  A little salty as an everyday lunch item, but I'd definitely do this again in the last day or two before a grocery order.

This afternoon, I am baking bread and muffins and tonight cooking tomato, onion, ginger and garlic sauce for some lentils and rice. This will all happily mix with other food on hand and get me to the grocery order.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7407 on: November 13, 2016, 03:11:15 PM »
My husband's phone is off plan as of last week.

He's thinking of changing telcos for better coverage but hasn't made up his mind, so I'm switching him to a month-to-month plan and saving $75/month till he decides.

His phone plan is expensive, the phone (and data) is necessary for work, and it is subsidised by his company, but I'm still trying to get the costs down.

Jschange

« Reply #7408 on: November 13, 2016, 06:04:14 PM »
I joined bookbub and downloaded 6 free books. Exciting times ahead!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7409 on: November 13, 2016, 11:55:57 PM »
At my current job that I have since 2 years, I buy food in the canteen. We have to buy day-tickets in a pack of 10. Recently the price was increased by 20%. In a previous job, where I always ate my own sandwiches brought from home, I missed eating in the canteen sometimes. So now I have decided to bring along sandwiches from home on some of the days, and eat in the canteen on other days. To save again some money.

Since I am in this job, I have also started shopping groceries in a more expensive grocery store, because it has the most convenient parking. I can save a minute in time. I will from now on shop more often in the grocery store that is generally cheaper, which is just down the road, equally far.

Those are 2 new habits that could save me money and that aren't difficult to overcome. :-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7410 on: November 14, 2016, 02:02:27 AM »
A local cinema had a discount on gift cards so I bought one for a friend for Christmas.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #7411 on: November 14, 2016, 11:02:24 AM »
I reviewed the family health plan for 2017 and saved around 800$ / year

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #7412 on: November 14, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
I'm eating my feelings a lot lately, but I resisted buying expensive food and stuck with what we had in the house. :-\

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7413 on: November 14, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
Forgot to add... had to leave work early yesterday, so I saved $1.45 on transit.

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #7414 on: November 14, 2016, 06:52:56 PM »
I bought clear plastic shower rings for $1.50 instead of $8 or so for color coordinated ones.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7415 on: November 14, 2016, 07:06:37 PM »
Turned down a job that would have required a 1+hr commute each way. As a result, they countered and there's a chance they'll open the office in my town, instead of the town they had planned on! If so, I'll be saving big money (and TIME). Plus, it's always awesome to feel this sought after, even if they opt not to move the planned office! Still cool they're considering.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7416 on: November 14, 2016, 11:54:27 PM »
* Sold an article for $75. When the money comes in it will go straight to an investment fund.
* Got a starting bid on a glazed flowerpot I picked out of a dumpster and cleaned up for sale.
* Found a dime on the ground; found four pennies in the change bowl of a self-checkout machine.
* Met a friend at Starbucks for coffee (facepunches!) but at least got the $0.10 reusable mug credit.
* Went running for free instead of joining a gym.
* Cooked dinner at home using homegrown spaghetti squash.
* Line-dried several loads of laundry.
* Breastfed, cloth-diapered, used cloth wipes.
* Fall cleanup compost pile is now five feet high. By springtime it will have decomposed down into rich black soil that we will use as seed-starting mix and to side-dress fruit trees.
* Dried chicken bones in a low oven and crushed them for use as a soil amendment.
* Supplemented chicken feed with backyard-grown sorrel and food trimmings from the kitchen

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7417 on: November 15, 2016, 12:46:39 AM »
Today I'll get a free lunch at a hotel because of a job conference that is close by. Tonight when I go to my weekly (free) course around dinner time, I will not buy the usual cookies, but eat a left over portion at home later.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #7418 on: November 15, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »
* Sold an article for $75. When the money comes in it will go straight to an investment fund.
* Got a starting bid on a glazed flowerpot I picked out of a dumpster and cleaned up for sale.
* Found a dime on the ground; found four pennies in the change bowl of a self-checkout machine.
* Met a friend at Starbucks for coffee (facepunches!) but at least got the $0.10 reusable mug credit.
* Went running for free instead of joining a gym.
* Cooked dinner at home using homegrown spaghetti squash.
* Line-dried several loads of laundry.
* Breastfed, cloth-diapered, used cloth wipes.
* Fall cleanup compost pile is now five feet high. By springtime it will have decomposed down into rich black soil that we will use as seed-starting mix and to side-dress fruit trees.
* Dried chicken bones in a low oven and crushed them for use as a soil amendment.
* Supplemented chicken feed with backyard-grown sorrel and food trimmings from the kitchen

^ This is brilliant. I am trying to move towards zero waste, but not willing to give up meat. I have been roasting chicken, then saving the bones and other meat scraps for slow cooker broth, but then putting the remaining bones in the trash.
Last time I bought chicken thighs I did gently pan fry the skins, which I didn't need for my recipe, rendered out the chicken fat to store in the fridge for other frying jobs, and my wife was happy to eat the crispy chicken skins as a snack :)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7419 on: November 15, 2016, 11:03:29 AM »
Left the office late yesterday and discovered two leftover catered "box" meals, each with a cup of fresh fruit and a sandwich. One had a cookie, but I think the other had its cookie taken. Shoved in backpack and had free dinner last night and free lunch today, supplemented with "clean out the freezer" chicken-and-stuff soup.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7420 on: November 15, 2016, 11:26:54 AM »
-Trying a new coffee we got through amazon subscribe and save. Coffee Direct "poor man's blend", came to like $5/lb. It's okay, lighter roast which we like, but pretty muted flavor compared to the super fancy local stuff we have done in the past. We will use the 5lbs we got, and we'll see for future times if we're going to stick to this. I'm undecided, but it is literally half the price, so...
-Instead of going and buying full price coffee at the store, we successfully waited for subscribe and save to ship us cheap coffee and held off using instant coffee we had on hand. That was a long 3 days.
-Used the "air dry" on my dishwasher instead of the heated dry.

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #7421 on: November 15, 2016, 11:54:30 AM »
Not a coffee drinker, so I may be totally wrong, but maybe it would work to mix the cheaper stuff with a little of the good stuff?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7422 on: November 15, 2016, 12:05:52 PM »
Not a coffee drinker, so I may be totally wrong, but maybe it would work to mix the cheaper stuff with a little of the good stuff?

Yes, but they both come in 5lb sizes for that price, so at that point you're dealing with major flavor loss due to age. I suppose upping my game on air tight containers could help, but that's a pretty high upfront cost.

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #7423 on: November 15, 2016, 12:33:08 PM »
Coworker birthday at a restaurant in driving distance, I was going to offer my car but someone else did so I'm saving on gas and getting a free ride to the restaurant :)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7424 on: November 15, 2016, 09:17:41 PM »
Didn't have time for a real lunch today but I rushed a couple bites of Greek yogurt and grabbed a bag of pistachios and my "emergency" store bought iced tea out of the cupboard. I was quite hungry by the time I got home at 7.

Anagnorisis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7425 on: November 15, 2016, 10:25:11 PM »
Whew.  It took me a month but I worked my way through all 153 pages of this thread.  Nice work everyone!

Went into the office even though working from home was tempting so that I could charge my car at the free station near the train.  I can also expense the commute mileage, which more than covers the train ticket.
Turned the temps up on my fridge and freezer to 5 and 38 degrees respectively.
Researched and ordered a dual flush system for my toilet.
Packed a lunch for work, left my wallet at home to avoid temptation.
Read a library book on the train instead of using Republic's cellular data to entertain myself.
Exercised at home.
Invited to my parents for dinner and hockey.  Free beer and mushroom risotto!!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7426 on: November 15, 2016, 11:45:50 PM »
I made a home cooked dinner - again-- that is at least three weeks in a row now, without having my kids or DH make dinner, nor getting take out or a deli chicken.  Even on date night I managed to make a lovely dinner than just go to movies to save a bit.

I know few of you will be impressed, but when the other family members make dinner, they use much more expensive groceries so my dinners cost half of theirs, and taste better too.  Three weeks straight is a good run (I work full time).

Had handmade meatballs with mushroom cream sauce over pasta and fresh frozen (from my summer yard) yellow beans.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #7427 on: November 16, 2016, 12:27:46 AM »
Road edition:

-drank half a bottle of cheap wine our excellent airbnb host had left over from a celebration.

-instead of having supper out, bought broccoli in SF's Chinatown (28 cents!) and cooked it for dinner with previously-bought bacon, pasta, and Manchego.

-researched museums we can get into for free with the reciprocal feature on my local museum membership... man, there are a lot of them.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #7428 on: November 16, 2016, 11:38:30 AM »

- Starting conversations with family members about doing a "Secret Santa" gift exchange amongst the adults instead of the usual gift extravaganza.  We'll see how it goes.

Happy to report that my family has agreed to the Secret Santa! The price range that was agreed to was higher than I would like ($150), but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #7429 on: November 16, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »

- Starting conversations with family members about doing a "Secret Santa" gift exchange amongst the adults instead of the usual gift extravaganza.  We'll see how it goes.

Happy to report that my family has agreed to the Secret Santa! The price range that was agreed to was higher than I would like ($150), but at least it's a step in the right direction.
Well done! secret santa is much more exciting, too! :)

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7430 on: November 16, 2016, 08:01:05 PM »
I looked at my local Buy and Sell site, saw a coffee table for $30 that would look great in my living room, proceeded to not buy it.  I have a coffee table and it looks fine.

I also saw a set of nice alloy rims that would fit my little Toyota complete with almost new snow tires for $300, proceeded not to buy it.  I have 2 sets of steel wheels with good tires for that car, and i barely drive it anyway. 

I pretty much only buy anything these days if it's replacing something broken or worn out, or if i can resell it for a profit. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7431 on: November 16, 2016, 08:03:17 PM »
Had gotten a $20 off $20 purchase card for a local hardware store. Went out and got vinyl insert replacements for the door bottoms on our exterior doors, and got spare keys made. Came to only $8 with the card. Woo. Now to just swap out all the vinyl bits.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7432 on: November 17, 2016, 01:32:56 AM »
Battled my inner demons today, badly wanted a burrito but talked myself into eating my small emergency can of beans instead. Glad I did, as I ended up supervising a BBQ, where they had free vegetarian hotdogs! Had two, which were great, and popped my head back in at the end of the day to help cleanup- there were three unopened packs of vegetarian hotdogs that I was invited to take home- with a salad that's 9 meals for me!  Also sold DS old school uniforms for $40, will use that to pay for my boxing classes for the next two weeks.

With only 3 weeks left of work this year, I'm making sure to wear my work clothes that are towards the end of their lives (shoes with a small hole in the sole, faded pants, shirts that have shrunk a bit too much) as I plan to visit the secondhand store over Christmas to update my work wardrobe, and want to be able to get rid of my worn out stuff without guilt.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7433 on: November 17, 2016, 01:39:00 AM »
I almost went out for dinner. Price would have been between $5-$15 depending on fast food vs sit down. Instead I made an interesting dinner with leftovers from yesterday. Cost savings between $2-$13. But calorie and nutrition wise, the home cooked meal  was far superior. Calorie difference between 300-500 calories.   

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7434 on: November 17, 2016, 05:00:35 AM »
After watching a TV program yesterday where they reminded me of having to do this regularly, I went checking whether I still pay a good price for my insurance. And whether we still get the best rent on our money. It turns out that we save save several 1000 NOK per year (several 100 dollars) on swapping insurances to another company. And maybe use another bank for savings. It set myself a goal to do the swapping definitively this weekend (due date Sunday evening).

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7435 on: November 17, 2016, 09:22:01 AM »
Our small village has a small monthly magazine with topics regarding the village. I read the old issues and found out that they sell cinema vouchers for 10 CHF. The normal price is 17 CHF. As we were planning to go to the cinema soon that is very welcome.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7436 on: November 17, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
I need a new pair of maternity tights (preferred leaving-the-house clothing is dresses right now, and I've been using last pregnancy's dresses and 2 pairs of tights, but one of the pairs just gave out completely). I went online, searched for a coupon for the local store, and can now get the 1 item of clothing I need to make it through the next 3 months of pregnancy at 40% off. Not quite as good as not needing to buy it at all, but the alternative was needing to buy some maternity shirts (I have 4 dresses and 2 pairs of pants that fit, plus 2 pairs of leggings, but only ONE shirt that's presentable for work. It's cheaper to buy tights than shirts!)

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7437 on: November 17, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »
I need a new pair of maternity tights (preferred leaving-the-house clothing is dresses right now, and I've been using last pregnancy's dresses and 2 pairs of tights, but one of the pairs just gave out completely). I went online, searched for a coupon for the local store, and can now get the 1 item of clothing I need to make it through the next 3 months of pregnancy at 40% off. Not quite as good as not needing to buy it at all, but the alternative was needing to buy some maternity shirts (I have 4 dresses and 2 pairs of pants that fit, plus 2 pairs of leggings, but only ONE shirt that's presentable for work. It's cheaper to buy tights than shirts!)

Could you just wear the leggings under the dresses?

Comfort is key!

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #7438 on: November 17, 2016, 09:45:34 AM »
I had been browsing for a quality winter coat for more than a year and the one style I liked was $90 last year. I kept browsing the website and finally got it last week for $50.
It'll last me years and I'm very pleased with my purchase :)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7439 on: November 17, 2016, 09:46:06 AM »

Comfort is key!

At home, yeah, and I do.

At work, well... nice dress + wool blazer + heels + leggings just doesn't work super well together, y'know? (Director-level corporate job. I wear leggings and tunics when I have no meetings, and work from home half the week, but I do need to pull it together for contract negotiation meetings and client walk-throughs and the like. Pregnancy does not seem to excuse me from this.)

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7440 on: November 17, 2016, 09:51:25 AM »

Comfort is key!

At home, yeah, and I do.

At work, well... nice dress + wool blazer + heels + leggings just doesn't work super well together, y'know? (Director-level corporate job. I wear leggings and tunics when I have no meetings, and work from home half the week, but I do need to pull it together for contract negotiation meetings and client walk-throughs and the like. Pregnancy does not seem to excuse me from this.)

Yeah, kind of need to wear boots. Though I hear pregnancy can fuck up your feet and how shoes fit....

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #7441 on: November 17, 2016, 02:04:55 PM »
I made an oatmeal, honey, etc dog shampoo and washed the pooch. Saved $40 and not only is he all soft now, but he was SUPER happy afterwards. Go figure.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7442 on: November 17, 2016, 02:08:03 PM »
Wanted a house plant. Instead of going and buying one, asked on Buy Nothing Group. Three different people with neglected house plants replied! And this is on a verrrry slow group (I'm working on that, sigh). Picked up a spider plant today! I'm gonna name him Peter. Like Peter Parker. Because... spider plant.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7443 on: November 17, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »
I didn't think I had anything left for dinner, and I was tempted to go out to eat. But by the time I biked home, I thought of a couple things I could make. Then I looked around in the cupboards and freezer, and I thought of a few more meals. I ended up just having pasta with pesto and peas for dinner, but I've got enough other things for a week of dinners.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7444 on: November 17, 2016, 05:04:57 PM »
My patience paid off. I put together a shutterfly calendar in August with plans to give it to my parents and grandparents for Christmas.  I just had to wait until they sent me good enough to discounts codes. Full price is 29.99 plus shipping. Today they sent the right one sale and code. A free calendar, and 50% off additional items (my second calendar).  I am paying about $7 each. This also counts as fulfilling my families requests for souvenirs from my Europe trip this summer, as I made it out of some art photos I took there. Money spent, but purposefully spent.

For dinner I ate the last of a bean and lentil mix I don't like. It's been in my cupboard at least three years.  Now it is done!!  Hallelujah.

Did a load of laundry to take advantage of the gorgeous weather.

It's my SOs birthday this weekend.  I had really wanted to take him out to a great seasonal foodie place here, but I decided it's just not the best way to spend money right now. So I'm planning lots of good food at home. Then my schedule got too full for a lot of cooking, so I splurged on some fancy cheeses and nuts and salad fixings and got some of the "fresh" ravioli from the grocery.  Quick, easy, but special. And I'll use nice dishes and make it look good.

I wanted to buy him flowers (men like flowers, too....) then I noticed all the fall leaves in the park.  I picked up a small pile today and am gonna dig out the fancy table cloth and candle holders too.  No one said low-budget living can't look good.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7445 on: November 17, 2016, 07:09:22 PM »
It's my SOs birthday this weekend.  I had really wanted to take him out to a great seasonal foodie place here, but I decided it's just not the best way to spend money right now. So I'm planning lots of good food at home. Then my schedule got too full for a lot of cooking, so I splurged on some fancy cheeses and nuts and salad fixings and got some of the "fresh" ravioli from the grocery.  Quick, easy, but special. And I'll use nice dishes and make it look good.

I wanted to buy him flowers (men like flowers, too....) then I noticed all the fall leaves in the park.  I picked up a small pile today and am gonna dig out the fancy table cloth and candle holders too.  No one said low-budget living can't look good.

Sounds like a great night, PMG. Enjoy!

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7446 on: November 17, 2016, 07:13:18 PM »

Sounds like a wonderful time.

And wanted to add: Some women do not like cut flowers ... I learnt this after a few tries.

eeho

• Stubble
    • Check out my MMM journal - Stubblefaced-aussie-girl-with-a-five-year-deadline-for-fire!
« Reply #7447 on: November 17, 2016, 11:22:26 PM »
Battled my inner demons today, badly wanted a burrito but talked myself into eating my small emergency can of beans instead. Glad I did, as I ended up supervising a BBQ, where they had free vegetarian hotdogs! Had two, which were great, and popped my head back in at the end of the day to help cleanup- there were three unopened packs of vegetarian hotdogs that I was invited to take home- with a salad that's 9 meals for me! 

This is awesome; nice work 11ducks!

eeho

• Stubble
    • Check out my MMM journal - Stubblefaced-aussie-girl-with-a-five-year-deadline-for-fire!
« Reply #7448 on: November 18, 2016, 12:54:35 AM »
Today I went to the Oxfam shop VIP night where they had 20% off everything. Even though Oxfam is an amazing charity and if I was going to be a spendipants I'd want to do it there, I wasn't going to buy things for myself. Instead I had volunteered to buy a couple of items for a colleague that he had selected for Christmas presents as he was away this weekend.
So, Oxfam got some money, my colleague got 20% off his Christmas shopping, I got credit card points and lots of delicious food samples that I didn't feel guilty about eating because I was actually buying things! Scones with jam, bread and dukkah, crackers cheese and chutney, carrot sticks and dip, brownies, chocolate and champagne! Delicious.

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #7449 on: November 18, 2016, 04:21:16 AM »
Picked up a spider plant today! I'm gonna name him Peter. Like Peter Parker. Because... spider plant.

LOL

Thank you for making me laugh today!!!