Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020945 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12550 on: March 03, 2019, 06:33:29 PM »
-Batch prepped meals for the week
-Used a gift card that had been floating around my purse forever
-Used up pantry ingredients in a recipe (a bottle of bruschetta that I impulse bought at Trader Joes)
-Arranged for carpools for several activities
-Drove our electric car all weekend. Will charge for free at work tomorrow.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #12551 on: March 03, 2019, 10:29:23 PM »
Well this took a couple of days but.....

I cooked a pig's head!

We were gifted a pig's head and had little idea on what to do with it.  Researched online while it was defrosting and it actually was not hard at all.  The biggest headache was that it didn't fit in our big canning pot so I had to split it in half.  I used a heavy cleaver and a hammer for that but any strong knife, sharp hatchet or saw will cut through the bone.

We wound up with over 6 quarts of the best jellied stock imaginable and a bunch of delicious meat.  Start to finish it took about 7 hours the first day, cleaning,boiling and dissembling the head.  On the second day we finished up the stock, made two batches of head cheese and started really enjoying the results of our work! So delicious!

Google an YouTube are your friends for recipes and ideas.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12552 on: March 04, 2019, 01:11:49 AM »

I cooked a pig's head!

We were gifted a pig's head and had little idea on what to do with it.  Researched online while it was defrosting and it actually was not hard at all.  The biggest headache was that it didn't fit in our big canning pot so I had to split it in half.  I used a heavy cleaver and a hammer for that but any strong knife, sharp hatchet or saw will cut through the bone.

We wound up with over 6 quarts of the best jellied stock imaginable and a bunch of delicious meat.  Start to finish it took about 7 hours the first day, cleaning,boiling and dissembling the head.  On the second day we finished up the stock, made two batches of head cheese and started really enjoying the results of our work! So delicious!

Google an YouTube are your friends for recipes and ideas.

That sounds badass for modern society standards.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12553 on: March 04, 2019, 04:35:31 AM »

I cooked a pig's head!

Awesome.  Good job. 

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #12554 on: March 04, 2019, 03:44:00 PM »
Combined a coupon with a sale to get a pound of free butter.

Put oatmeal in the blender and made oat flour. A dollar a pound or less for oatmeal vs several dollars a pound for oat flour. We use quite a bit.

(Both of these were my wife's efforts, not mine)

Geosoxs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12555 on: March 04, 2019, 03:58:33 PM »
Walked to work, ate a food prep meal for lunch and some fruit I bought at  Costco

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12556 on: March 04, 2019, 07:08:13 PM »
This is an accumulation of things from the past week. I took several bags of aluminum cans I've picked up on my daily walks, and sold them at the metal scrapper. $12 in free money!
I went through the cabinets and pantry and have been creating meals from what we have, not just what sounds good that day. I've got several repurposed containers full of boxed lunches and portable breakfasts. I even went one step further and filled some lunch bags with fruit, cheese, and the boxed entrees so there's a complete, healthy meal I just have to grab from the fridge. Part of it is changing my mindset to "what I have sounds good". My entire grocery bill last week was $5.30! Just the ingredients I needed to bridge the gaps between ingredients I already have. I'm also continuing to take advantage of the numerous snacks offered by my job to keep my grocery costs down.
It's been very cold here lately, and I've felt the lack of long-sleeved layering shirts. I used a $60 reward to order the shirts I wanted plus a baby gift for a friend.
I've been reading through Cait Flanders' blog and getting inspired to save more. I've been using my local library's app to download e-books directly to my Kindle (that I received as a gift several years ago).
Now I've just got to do my taxes and buy some more index funds with the refund! :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12557 on: March 05, 2019, 08:00:50 AM »
This month, and probably also the next 2, I can register all my extra hours as paid overtime (50% extra). Normally I can only register then as normal hours, which I can later take off.
Overtime hours can either be taken off at some more quiet time, then I get paid out the 50% only. Or I can have them paid out and receive 150%.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12558 on: March 05, 2019, 09:56:18 AM »
Bought coffee on the run but darn it at least I got the $0.10 cup discount.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12559 on: March 05, 2019, 03:10:58 PM »
Rode my motorcycle into work today for my 35 km commute.  It was raining, so I thought about the car or train.  But - I have the wet weather gear, so this saved money compared to the other options.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12560 on: March 05, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »
this is a loss but:
met up w friends over wknd.  they wanted to meet up at a kids play area that is inside and you have to pay $30 to get in and romp around with their costumes, etc

it was nice outside, 40F, we tried to get them to go outside.  but they're inside folks. so we did the inside thing.

the whole process just made me so damned sure that we are doing the right thing by being outside alot of the the time and not being so connected to this consumer culture

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12561 on: March 05, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
I sold some of my media to the local used bookstore and got $7 cash and $18 store credit in return.  Then InI bought a new to me fleece bath robe and sweater dress from Goodwill for $7.  I also got my cat groomed (yeah, not very Frugal but neither are stitches and tetanus) and because I paid cash I got 5% off. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #12562 on: March 05, 2019, 04:42:49 PM »
Stayed home :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12563 on: March 06, 2019, 01:50:32 AM »
Walked to work and will walk back this afternoon.

Lincolnshire Girl

• Stubble
« Reply #12564 on: March 06, 2019, 02:22:52 AM »
Car Insurance

Renewal quote came through at £385 annual price. As usual I ring them up to ask them to give me a better deal. He checks through a few details and quotes me £318 just for phoning and staying loyal. Having already filled in a comparison site in my name rather than my husband's, I ask for a quote for me as the main driver and OH as the second driver, new quote comes through at £216. The computer system now shows that our house insurance, also in my name, means we can combine our policies. Car Insurance policy will now be £154. Saved £231, same company, no paperwork!

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12565 on: March 06, 2019, 06:10:54 AM »
dropped comprehensive coverage on my 18 year old vehicle, saved me $98 every 6 months! Also lowered the usage, which saved me an additional $20 every 6 months. I think my bill will be somewhere around $550 for the year now.

The Keen Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Striving for FI, no plans to RE yet.
« Reply #12566 on: March 07, 2019, 02:24:13 AM »
  • Walked in to work
  • Brought in my own lunch
  • Work provides free fruit, I have 2 apples and 2 kiwis a day
  • Work provides free tea, I have two cups of tea a day minimum.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12567 on: March 07, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »
Not so small (to me anyway), but my roommate asked if her girlfriend could move and I said yes!  They're a great couple and she's around all the time anyway.  It's going to save me almost $300 a month in rent, which will fast-track my goal of killing my remaining student loans.  :D

Geosoxs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12568 on: March 07, 2019, 01:58:39 PM »
Walked to work, packed a premade veggie and chicken lunch that cost about $2.50 to make, chose not to buy gum when coworker was going to the store. Asked library on their suggest a book to order a book I've been wanting to read versus buying it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12569 on: March 08, 2019, 04:55:08 AM »
I went skiing without driving. I had to walk the first part, carrying skis under my arm. Then switch shoes. And then partly over a road that was not cleared for snow until I reached some unprepared trails.

Kookaburra Risotto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12570 on: March 08, 2019, 08:02:40 AM »
Just the usual stuff today - made lunches at home to take to work, made coffee in the office rather than buying it. These small things add up though!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12571 on: March 08, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »
Found a cheaper decaf that is still water processed. Not nearly as tasty as my more expensive one, but I'm mixing them and it's still okay.

Making, not saving, but still. I haven't deactivated my dog sitting/walking profile, I just haven't actively been using it. However, someone reached out to me about walking her dog this week, and it turns out she's right across the street from me. $66 for 3 walks, and it's all in my neighborhood anyway. I look for excuses to go on walks regularly anyway. Bonus to make money for it!

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #12572 on: March 08, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »
I went skiing without driving. I had to walk the first part, carrying skis under my arm. Then switch shoes. And then partly over a road that was not cleared for snow until I reached some unprepared trails.

That's awesome!

----------

Today I'll be biking to/from a nice gym (membership paid for by my company) about 5 miles each way.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #12573 on: March 08, 2019, 09:46:09 PM »
Finally caught up on this thread over the last few days! Was behind from August.

We had a big snowstorm here today so I avoided what would have been an endless, frustrating commute and took a snow day. Got the taxes done and filed and refund should be in the bank within a couple of weeks.

As for saving: went nowhere and spent nothing. Drank coffee and ate all meals at home.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12574 on: March 09, 2019, 12:18:23 AM »
Had to take my kid to the pediatrician. Parking on the street versus the underground lot saved $9.

The pharmacy forgot to apply our insurance at first so protesting gently “saved” $50.

Took out the ELF twice today. Saved about $2 in gasoline by going electric/solar instead.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12575 on: March 09, 2019, 04:06:52 AM »
Sold my piano. We used a Norwegian payment app that will charge you 1% over a certain amount. I let the buyer split the sum and pay the amount over the threshold to my husband. So we don't pay the 1%.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12576 on: March 09, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »
Found ground beef on sale for $.99, bought 3 lbs. Found ground turkey for $.50/lb. Bought 5 lbs.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12577 on: March 10, 2019, 09:19:15 AM »
We had company on Friday who brought us a whole pile of food and generously let us keep the leftovers. That's dinner covered for the weekend + more leftovers for the freezer. We both have been tired for the last couple of weeks so we slept in both days and had brunch instead of breakfast and lunch, saving us one meal. We bought a small 0,5 liter carton of milk that was 35% off because it's nearly out of date. We baked blueberry pancakes for lunch and had all the other ingredients in the pantry / freezer. Pancakes are one of my favourite foods to make for weekend brunch (that and waffles or banana bread). The ingredients are cheap, they are quick to make, you can add a lot of different toppings depending on what you have on hand, and almost everyone likes them.

I am making banana bread for the freezer later today, we have some overripe bananas that need to be used.

I went to a free event this morning and ran into several acquintances. I was planning to ask one for a coffee, but she'd just had coffee with someone else when I ran into her and didn't have a lot of time, so we just talked. Socializing is important to me so I didn't save money on purpose, but I still had a nice chat with them and saved a little bit of money.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12578 on: March 10, 2019, 11:21:41 AM »
I had a successful thrifting day yesterday with 5 new to me clothes that all fit when I got home.  I am pretreating a stain in one dress.  I also used a coupon that I had been given when I donated there previously for 20% off.  I am filling out a survey receipt from said favorite thrift store for a free $2 for a future visit.  I’ve lost 50 lbs since December and my work clothes are kinda falling off. 

Aaaaaand I just switched to Mintmobile for a cheaper bill than what ATT has been giving me.  Here’s my referral code if anyone’s interested.  http://fbuy.me/mdrlu

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12579 on: March 10, 2019, 12:13:40 PM »
I’ve lost 50 lbs since December and my work clothes are kinda falling off. 

Well done!!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12580 on: March 10, 2019, 02:48:37 PM »
*Making sourdough bread for dinner, used the excess starter to make pancakes for breakfast
*Returning a sweater I bought on clearance but decided I won't wear often
*Used Hilton points from a work trip to knock a few bucks of my Amazon order this morning (LED grow lights, which in the long run will be cheaper than what I currently use for my veggie seedlings, both in electricity and bulb replacements)
*Built a seed-starting bench out of cheap lumber, mixed a couple kind of leftover stain together to finish it, and mounted it with old shop shelf brackets that I spray painted to make them blend better/be less ugly, using a can of paint I already had.
*Starting a bunch more seedlings for the garden.
*Working with Stanley customer service to hopefully get a replacement lid for my travel mug instead of replacing the whole mug.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12581 on: March 11, 2019, 02:16:48 AM »
Walked to work today and will walk back in the afternoon. Washed my hair at work and stood a big a few minutes longer under the warm shower to enjoy the luxury. I don't do that at home.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12582 on: March 11, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »
*Working with Stanley customer service to hopefully get a replacement lid for my travel mug instead of replacing the whole mug.

Update:  I just got an email from their customer service department saying they are sending me a new lid for free.  Awesome!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12583 on: March 11, 2019, 07:32:07 PM »
* Someone was giving away arugula—I used it in a pasta dish for dinner.

* Breakfast was coffee and pastries leftover from my mom’s birthday.

* Took the solar e-bike to pick up the kids, saved $1 in gasoline and got a better view of the butterfly migration in our city right now

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12584 on: March 12, 2019, 06:42:46 PM »
I noticed an Amazon Prime charge on my credit card, went into my account, and what do you know?  I somehow got signed up for the monthly Prime membership in January.  Cancelled, called, and they are refunding the 3 months I was charged for.  $38.97 back to me for <10 minutes of effort.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12585 on: March 12, 2019, 09:09:31 PM »
I'm on a roll today... last month I bought a barn door hardware kit and when I opened it, it was really crappy, and looked nothing like the photos.  I requested a return today after two unanswered requests over the past couple weeks.  Suddenly, they responded, said they'd issue a refund and keep the kit.  So there's another $40 back.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12586 on: March 14, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
In the truly small stuff vein, I bought my son's birthday gift through ebates before clicking through to Amazon. Amazon almost never has an ebates deal that works with any of my purchases. But, I do it whenever I remember, just in case. Saved $.39.

And, found $.11 on the ground over the last couple of days. #rich

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12587 on: March 14, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »
defrosted fridge that we thought was broken.  it works now
we were ready to buy another

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12588 on: March 15, 2019, 07:58:03 AM »
Walked home from work yesterday, saving $2.75 and getting some exercise.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12589 on: March 15, 2019, 08:51:29 AM »
Gradual change I'm working on that carries the greatest level of delicacy - very subtly encouraging DW to trim back her work lunches out.  She used to bring lunches or stop home for lunch almost all of the time, but as her job responsibilities/stress grew, she converted to eating out at work basically every day, often with a friend or two.  Since her pay was going up as well, and she seemed to be using it as a coping mechanism, I didn't object in any way.  Over the past year I've been trying to whittle away at this cost without overtly criticizing or even pointing it out directly.  More of a leading by example, but without any preachiness.

Some progress - she now seems to be eating at home 1-2 times per week, and actually considered occasionally eating at work (with her office door closed, as she needs some time to escape the incessant demands of her co-workers). 

Man, those lunches get expensive, and as I've sliced our food costs elsewhere, they're really starting to stick out like a sore thumb.

Kookaburra Risotto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12590 on: March 15, 2019, 09:24:39 AM »
Bought several boxes of generic greetings cards. Works out between 25p and 40p per card rather £2+.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12591 on: March 15, 2019, 10:47:31 AM »
i guess this counts, paradoxically:

playing 1230$ for repairs to my old car in hopes i can get it to pass inspection, be safe, and get another 100k miles

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12592 on: March 15, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »
Two days ago I scored 10 boxes of childrens valentines for $0.10 a package. I got stuff that was relatively timeless, generic unicorns/superheroes/snoopy. I'm set for several years of valentine exchanges for my children.

At the same time I bought 11lbs of bananas for $0.216/lb, normally its $0.77/lb. They were overstocked and needed to clear them out. Some were perfectly ripe, others needed an extra day. They're all going in my belly or the freezer for smoothies or shakes. Freezing them at the perfect ripeness is a life hack I started a few months ago.

This weekend I'll try some Banana Ice cream recipes I found online.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #12593 on: March 15, 2019, 05:00:16 PM »
Went to the service desk a few weeks ago to get a raincheck for a sale item that the store ran out of and today redeemed it for two of the item.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12594 on: March 15, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »
Not me but husband: fixed my daily driver today with parts he got at a junkyard in the outskirts of the nearest city yesterday. We hit a deer on the way home Wednesday night, and it needed the front grill, both headlights, the AC fan, and a variety of other expensive piddly bits. Would have been thousands at a collision center (would have totalled it, really, and it's a diesel Jeep we searched months for). We paid $168 plus the fuel to the junkyard. And his time, which was really the biggest sacrifice just now.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12595 on: March 15, 2019, 07:04:47 PM »
I visited the grocery before work partly because I knew I would not have the energy after work, and so that I could get something decent for my lunch.  I bought some salami/mozzarella roll ups and a couple bananas.  Stocked some snacks away for future crisis days. 

Tomorrow I’ll be awaiting delivery of my new washer and dryer.  I used Ebates to make the purchase and cashed in some airline miles on gift cards to pay down $200 of the total price.  Ebates owes me a about $17 cash back for the purchase.  I’m looking forward to clean, thoroughly rinsed clothes again. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12596 on: March 16, 2019, 02:02:15 AM »
Pegged my washing on airers as it's very wet in Sydney today, and rain is forecast all week.

Pulled two half-portions of leftovers out of the freezer and ate them for a late lunch.

Washed two large coffee jars for pantry storage.

Stocked up on a couple of toiletry items that were on sale this week.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12597 on: March 16, 2019, 05:09:58 AM »
Gradual change I'm working on that carries the greatest level of delicacy - very subtly encouraging DW to trim back her work lunches out.  She used to bring lunches or stop home for lunch almost all of the time, but as her job responsibilities/stress grew, she converted to eating out at work basically every day, often with a friend or two.  Since her pay was going up as well, and she seemed to be using it as a coping mechanism, I didn't object in any way.  Over the past year I've been trying to whittle away at this cost without overtly criticizing or even pointing it out directly.  More of a leading by example, but without any preachiness.

Some progress - she now seems to be eating at home 1-2 times per week, and actually considered occasionally eating at work (with her office door closed, as she needs some time to escape the incessant demands of her co-workers). 

Man, those lunches get expensive, and as I've sliced our food costs elsewhere, they're really starting to stick out like a sore thumb.

It's a luxury that she can get home during the workday! For days that she can't, is it an option that you box lunches for the two of you so that both of you can bring your own lunch?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12598 on: March 16, 2019, 06:19:00 AM »

It's a luxury that she can get home during the workday! For days that she can't, is it an option that you box lunches for the two of you so that both of you can bring your own lunch?
Funny, I was just going to ask the same thing.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12599 on: March 16, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
- We did a big grocery shop today and stocked up on items that were on sale.
- I darned a sock that had a hole in it. It's a hiking sock so it's pretty expensive to replace. They are also way easier to darn than regular, very thin socks.
- Had a free lunch at work yesterday and the lunch was so big that I didn't eat a real dinner yesterday, just a bit of yoghurt.
- We're having a friend over tomorrow and we are able to make all food from items in the freezer / pantry.
- I worked on a sewing project

This is not strictly saving, but a customer for my side hustle reached out to me and asked if I could do a small thing for him over the weekend. No problem, I was just going to hang out, watch Netflix and do some cleaning, so one or two hours of billable work is actually a nice break. I have only started less than a year ago and for both tax and business purposes I try to invest most of what I make back into the business. I need a new laptop within the next 3 months, so I can use the extra money :)