Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020735 times)

Ebrat

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5250 on: January 05, 2016, 12:15:02 PM »
I'll join in, since I'm recently on a mission to make better use of our money (we're pretty good but could be better).

Yesterday, I used Youtube to learn how to turn down my water heater, and also started turning it off during the day.  Our electricity usage is fairly high considering that we have a small house and keep the heat lowish (64 most of the time, sometimes up to 66, or 68 if we're feeling crazy!).  I'm setting a goal to lower our usage by at least 10% to start.  Sealing the windows and doors better will be the next step.

I also evaluated our car insurance today.  Turns out we're doing about as well as we can there for now.

We switched to Kirkland Signature TP when we got a free pack for joining Costco last year.  I couldn't believe my DH, who is a TP snob, actually finds it acceptable!  It's going to take us about 16 months to use the whole pack.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5251 on: January 05, 2016, 06:42:22 PM »
Christmas pattern Kleenex were on sale for $0.50 per box. I only got one box, although in retrospect, should have grabbed a couple. They're the nice fluffy fancy ones.

Selling my old Ski Boots on craigslist for $100. I had no interest, and then the recent snowfall hit. BOOM, 7 emails is 24 hours. Good timing for selling!

DH continues to improve his hypermiling skills in the new-to-us TDI. Went to see a relative in the hospital, 2 hrs each way. He averaged 54.6 mpg the whole trip, and was at 60mpg before we hit rush hour on our way home. This is a far cry from the 16mpg car we were borrowing from relatives.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5252 on: January 05, 2016, 11:02:56 PM »
Harvested four lemons from the tree in the front yard before the rains came, and harvested some parsley from the back garden to top black bean tacos. #tacotuesday

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." --Ron Finley
https://www.ted.com/talks/ron_finley_a_guerilla_gardener_in_south_central_la?language=en

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5253 on: January 06, 2016, 01:54:00 AM »
1) Trying to be diligent about using meat from the freezer -- I have to be 2 days ahead in my mind in order to get it thawed. (Did a whole chicken in the crockpot today, tomorrow will make the bones into soup stock in the same crockpot. Tomorrow is beef stew.)

2) Following up on older teen and young adult children to pay me back when they borrow money or use my cc to order something. They're a sneaky bunch and seem to conveniently forget to pay me back.

3) Used up heaps of questionable/sad vegetables tonight with 2 cookie sheets full of roasted vegetables.

4) Trying to drop the heat by 1 degree. No one seems to be complaining yet. "Put on a freaking sweater!"

5) Donated canned goods to the foodbank to eliminate library fines -- LOVE this program but really should be more diligent and have no library fines.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5254 on: January 06, 2016, 07:42:37 AM »
Figured out how to use ground in my curry recipe, rather than strip steak, as we're running low on steak but still have plenty of ground in the freezer.

Got frozen veggies for $1 off per bag, bought 3 bags.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5255 on: January 06, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »
Called my auto insurance agent and got $112/year reduction in insurance cost.  Took all of 6 minutes (she was very good), so I made $1,120/hour for that work.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #5256 on: January 06, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »
Dropped the heat to 62 from the usual 64 and am using an electric blanket while I work from home.  I actually got too warm, so I turned off the heat altogether :)  Every time I heard it kick on it sounded like dollar bills being sucked out of the house.

Most food today is leftovers from other meals or the last bits of things.

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5257 on: January 06, 2016, 11:04:28 AM »
Went to work without a wallet and brought leftovers so I wouldn't be tempted to get anything.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5258 on: January 06, 2016, 12:34:12 PM »
Not only did I bring lunch to work today (and yesterday)...I brought lunch for my roommate/coworker/carpool partner yesterday, and he decided to start packing lunches too (as of today). :D

His wife is packing lunches, too - so it seems I may have influenced the whole house!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5259 on: January 06, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »
More of an ATTEMPT to save money that highlights a different success!

I'm working from home today, and it's almost 0F outside (ugh, Quebec). We have central heating, but we specifically had a baseboard put into the office so that we could heat JUST the home office and lower the rest of the heat in the house while working from home - don't heat the entire place instead of just the room you're in, basically. The programmable thermostat is set to drop the temperatures mid-day and kick back in just before we get home (and then again during the night), ideally to save money.

Since in 8 hours, the temperature in the house has dropped by less than 2 degrees.

So: I doubt that turning the heat down is saving all that much money, but man, money spent on decent insulation is paying off! :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5260 on: January 06, 2016, 03:21:42 PM »
1) Made kids ham sandwiches for lunch today with leftover ham. Used the ham bone in a crockpot split pea soup that is simmering now for future meals. Will also add last dregs of edible ham to the soup.

2) Chicken carcass going in the other crockpot for stock and future soup.

3) Beef stew for dinner - using up meat from the freezer. I sense a soup theme going here!

4) Keeping heat one degree lower is still working and no one is complaining or has noticed the gradual change.  Next week I will drop it another degree. We live in the PNW, so its not that cold, just damp and wet.

5) Made mayo today - far superior to store bought, IMHO.  The recipe is here if anyone is interested.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5261 on: January 06, 2016, 06:12:54 PM »
After I dropped off the car at the garage, I jogged home from the garage instead of taking the bus.

Since it was less than a mile and a half, taking the bus would have been facepunch worthy, but it was still my first impulse!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5262 on: January 06, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »
One flavor of Lara bars were being cleared out for 60 cents each, so grabbed a box of 16.  Caught themy ringing up at regular price and got it corrected.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5263 on: January 06, 2016, 11:05:40 PM »
horsepoor! That's a fantastic price for Lara Bars!

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #5264 on: January 06, 2016, 11:34:24 PM »
took the kids downtown to an indoor winter fest event that had rides and fun stuff.
carpooled with friend and split parking fee.
used groupon for kids wristband entry
used rebate gift card for my entry
brought our own lunch and drinks from home
refilled our water bottles at the water fountain

kids had a blast!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5265 on: January 07, 2016, 10:06:20 AM »
Big one--FIXED MY DISHWASHER!

So I had accidentally disabled it trying to clean it. Had to replace an $18 nut. Whatever.

Then I couldn't get the spray arm back on. A kindly Mustachian talked me through how to fix the spray arm (it was bent the wrong way) so I could get it back on. Total cost to me of $21 (also had to buy mini-hacksaw). No repair bill!

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #5266 on: January 07, 2016, 11:55:36 AM »
I went to my grocery store today for fun and happened to see canned Mexican-flavored pinto beans on sale. In addition, some of the cans in the front had $1 off coupons stuck to them, so I took all 8 of them. Came out to $0.25/can from a retail price of $1.79(!). This is great for me because I hate cooking dry beans even though they're usually cheaper.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5267 on: January 07, 2016, 02:21:55 PM »
Free lunch today, courtesy of a friend who is trying out some new recipes and made way too much.  Awesome!  And delicious!

Added a little extra to the credit card payment rather than buying that darn camera I am still coveting.

Attending free exercise class this evening.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5268 on: January 08, 2016, 01:27:06 AM »
Was surprised to actually receive a $10 check for answering a phone poll. Deposited the check right into Ameritrade for a future investment.

Line-dried a load of laundry.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #5269 on: January 08, 2016, 06:02:14 AM »
I'm getting our car's tires rotated this morning.  I learned the hard way several years ago how expensive it can be to not rotate your tires when mine wore out prematurely and had to be replaced.  I also go to a place that does it for free.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #5270 on: January 08, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »
Bought a refurbished ooma thing so we can drop our land line fees. I used recycled money to buy it (money from grocery rebate apps).

Found a local welder willing to fix the blade assembly in my vitamix. (and I found directions online for welding it that I'll print off and bring.

Processed more pumpkin, biked to the store for milk, yogurt, and a grapefruit soda. Thanks to cans I found while biking and cashed in, I spent nothing, got back $1.40 in change, and am getting a few bucks back in rebates. Included in the purchases - new yogurt starter because my existing batch is carbonated again. I hate when that happens.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #5271 on: January 08, 2016, 09:00:07 PM »
Caught them ringing up at regular price and got it corrected.

This is why I always put sale/clearance stuff at the very end of the conveyer belt, so I can watch and make sure it rings up at correct price, and point it out when it doesn't.  This has saved a lot of money over the years.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #5272 on: January 08, 2016, 10:01:35 PM »
One flavor of Lara bars were being cleared out for 60 cents each, so grabbed a box of 16.  Caught themy ringing up at regular price and got it corrected.

I never used to pay much attention at the grocery store.  Then one day I noticed a large error and went to customer service to have it corrected.  Now that I'm paying attention, I'd say I end up having to go up to customer service ~10% of the time to have something corrected.   Annoying.  Especially when I think of how many times I must have been being overcharged before I was paying attention.

In frugal grocery wins, I stopped by today to take advantage of Super Doubles (double coupons up to $2 each).  I ended up spending $4.44 to get: yogurt cups x 10; taco seasoning packs x 2; small box of organic chicken soup; jar of pickles; 2 boxes of frozen egg rolls; 30ct cough drops x 2; and a cucumber.  Plus I should get a $1 SavingStar rebate for the yogurts.   Not a bad haul for $3.44 net.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5273 on: January 08, 2016, 10:50:47 PM »
Caught them ringing up at regular price and got it corrected.

This is why I always put sale/clearance stuff at the very end of the conveyer belt, so I can watch and make sure it rings up at correct price, and point it out when it doesn't.  This has saved a lot of money over the years.

That's a good idea!  I'm not very good about watching the cash register for errors, but I do try to alert the cashier when something is clearanced.

Went to Natural Grocer today and happened to notice that they had a bunch of pork in the freezer at half off, and $1 off coupons on each package, so bought 8 packages, plus half price chicken drumsticks.  Luckily we have space in the freezer.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #5274 on: January 08, 2016, 11:55:15 PM »
Fixed my washing machine with my father's help and a YouTube video. Very satisfying and saved a couple of hundred bucks in labor, plus not needing to get a new machine out of frustration.

Got books from the library.

Rode my bike a lot.

Didn't buy anything.

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5275 on: January 09, 2016, 12:06:55 AM »
Shoved a bunch of tea in my purse before I left the house and didn't get sucked into going for coffee or lunch.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5276 on: January 09, 2016, 07:54:57 AM »
Switched my AmazonPrime account to an AmazonStudent account. Pushed back the renewal date (March to June), halved the renewal cost ($99 to $49) and received a $16 reimbursement from Amazon for the difference (the next two months through which my full-price Prime account would've taken me). Easy peasy.

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #5277 on: January 09, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »
Saved $198 (compared with Aus prices) by putting in an Amazon order to be sent to my husband's hotel while he's in the US for work next week.

Brilliant!

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #5278 on: January 09, 2016, 02:27:56 PM »
Earlier this week: bumped up DH's contribution to his 401(k) by 2%.  Made that happen by getting more serious about our food budget and setting strict $$ limits on going out to eat each month.

Today:

A friend with kids the same age (pre-teen) has organized a group of families to go on backpacking camping trips together.  This works out very well, since we have no experience and he is a seasoned pro.  He spent one evening going over all the gear needed (which we currently have very little of) and the group has been emailing when they find good deals.  This will be kind of pricey to start as a hobby, but we like car camping and hiking, so I am hopeful this can turn into a life long hobby.  Part of RE is I would like to spend time backpacking in National Parks.

So, today at the thrift store I went into a section of the store that I didn't need to go into - and it had a 7lb, 2/3 man backpacking tent for $10!!  The cheapest I have seen them used on CL is about $60.   New ones are at least $140ish.  I was very happy that I make it a rule to go into every section of a thrift store knowing an unexpected deal could be lurking.  I set the tent up and it was in fantastic condition.  I also saw the wicking types of shirts in the women's exercise clothes section and will be going back for those.

Also at the thrift store, I scored some shoes for my son (men size 11) for $7.  He is changing shoe sizes about every 3 months, so shoes are becoming a big expense.

Dinner tonight will be tacos with leftover beans from rice and beans earlier this week, and chicken from the last time I roasted and chicken and picked off the little bits and froze them.  I also typically use the fat and skin from those and cut it up and give it to the cats.

I also dug carrots and beets out of the garden to be used this week.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5279 on: January 09, 2016, 02:31:37 PM »
Yesterday:

- walked to the library to pick up books
- walked to the post office to collect a parcel - a friend just got a food dehydrator so she sent me a bunch of sachets of homemade granola, jerky, etc, that she has been experimenting with
- set up travel packs for my husband's phone (he gets unlimited texts, unlimited calls and 50mb data per day while overseas. Previously this was $10/day, but I renegotiated his phone plan late last year, and he now gets 10 free travel packs per month.)

thingamabobs

• Stubble
« Reply #5280 on: January 09, 2016, 03:16:56 PM »
checked out the clearance cart at the supermarket, they had the Starbucks instant peppermint mochas on clearance (3.49 each) and I remembered that I had a coupon for $2.25 off for buying 2. So I got 8 fancy pants drinks for $4.73!! They are good to keep in my bag for when I need a caffeine fix at work! If I can find more coupons, I"m going back for the rest of them.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5281 on: January 09, 2016, 04:02:44 PM »
I just had myself a BND and only ate stuff from the fridge.  :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5282 on: January 09, 2016, 06:59:50 PM »
Took DS1 on an errand and a mommy-son lunch date by walking and bus. Good exercise, good kid bonding, lower carbon footprint.

Dinner is a dish I call "MFK Fisher's Leftover Casserole" using homegrown (fresh thyme), homemade (bread crumbs, chicken stock), pantry ingredients (whole wheat pasta, canned diced tomatoes, parmesan cheese) and leftovers (dry-ish roast chicken, onion soup packet a friend left here at Halloween). Came out delicious. Now working on a pot of 10-bean soup in broth made half from homemade chicken stock, a quarter from pasta water and a quarter from canned tomato water, as inspired by Tamar Adler's An Everlasting Meal.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5283 on: January 09, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
Came home and made the kids sandwiches even though hubby wanted to take them to Mcd for a quick burger and fries after free skating today.

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5284 on: January 09, 2016, 11:43:15 PM »
I didn't spend any money today

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5285 on: January 10, 2016, 01:30:58 AM »
Furnace wouldn't work this evening and it was -10C outside and falling. After trying the obvious thing to fix the problem (clean the flame sensor) it still didn't work. I called the emergency company to come out, but he said it was a $200 fee to come out during non business hours. I almost said 'fine', but instead I asked what had changed from last time we called and it was a free service and I only had to pay for parts. He said oh that's the other company, I can give you their number if you like. Called the other company, tech came out within an hour (at 11:30pm), fixed the problem, no parts required, no cost to me. AND I learned a new trick to check next time the furnace stops working. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5286 on: January 10, 2016, 09:27:09 AM »
Furnace wouldn't work this evening and it was -10C outside and falling. After trying the obvious thing to fix the problem (clean the flame sensor) it still didn't work. I called the emergency company to come out, but he said it was a $200 fee to come out during non business hours. I almost said 'fine', but instead I asked what had changed from last time we called and it was a free service and I only had to pay for parts. He said oh that's the other company, I can give you their number if you like. Called the other company, tech came out within an hour (at 11:30pm), fixed the problem, no parts required, no cost to me. AND I learned a new trick to check next time the furnace stops working. :)

That's actually pretty cool of the first company to tell you who it was/number! Glad it all worked out alright.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5287 on: January 10, 2016, 10:11:23 AM »

That's actually pretty cool of the first company to tell you who it was/number! Glad it all worked out alright.
Awesome!

This morning I decided to make a fancy brunch for myself instead of going out.  I made chocolate banana pancakes with whipped cream.  I had all of the items in my kitchen from various other baking activities.  I was able to use up a few things, and not be tempted by a decadent brunch. 

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5288 on: January 10, 2016, 10:43:45 AM »
*  drove a little bit further to fill up the gas tank a lot cheaper.
*  donated a bunch of stuff to thrift shop
*  carefully made list before going to the store

NewMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5289 on: January 11, 2016, 10:34:52 AM »
Started washing my hair every other day.  Pleasantly surprised to find that it looks better both days!

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5290 on: January 11, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »
Weekend wrap-up:

*Stuck to a New Year's resolution and only bought kids' clothes at a consignment store (using Christmas money from Grandma)
*Scored a KitchenAid salad spinner for $4 (retail $35) at a thrift store
*Bought bread at a local bakery outlet (GIANT sourdough loaf, 6-count rosemary ciabatta rolls, cinnamon-raisin loaf, Italian bread loaf) for under $5
*Instituted a "no-waste" policy - no food gets wasted/thrown away (especially produce). Ended up eating leftovers, threw in some almost-past-peak produce in a pasta dish, and turned brown bananas into banana-nut muffins.
*Packed lunches for all four of us to take to work/school
*Sewed on Cub Scout/Girl Scout patches instead of farming it out
*Took two pairs of boots to a shoe repair place - will cost $8 per pair, instead of buying new boots/shoes

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5291 on: January 11, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »
-Picking up free beef from a neighbor on the Buy Nothing Group today. It's been in their freezer over a year, but that doesn't matter if it goes into a curry =)

-Planning to eat leftovers for lunch. Even though I don't really want to.

-Making a Costco trip today for eggs. It can be overwhelming, but their price on organic local eggs just can't be beat. And since I eat 2-3 eggs per day... it adds up. I'll also get cheap gas while I'm there. I should probably do this a lot more often, since the Costco is only ~3 miles away, and is a good $0.30-50 less per gallon than anything else around here.

-Home day otherwise: living room yoga and a nap are in the plans for today. And prepping for snowshoeing tomorrow! Cheapest snow sport available I think. Relatively low start up costs, and then it's just the gas and trail pass.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5292 on: January 11, 2016, 11:05:23 AM »
I HATE the phone (hate, hate, HATE it, why can't people work by text or email, ugh, HATE), but I sucked it up and spent a half-hour calling 3 different companies to fix billing issues I've noticed over the past week and a half. Total of 120$ back after that half hour.

Now on the phone with a 4th company to get a warranty honoured on our woodstove (the ceramic plate on the front of the catalyzer broke) and to get it fixed so we can go back to using it and sitting in front of the fire and not paying through the nose for electric heating. (If we have to pay, it'd be approximately 100$ fix).

Less than an hour on the phone; 120$ in money back plus 100$ in money not spent. 220$/hour - totally worth doing something I hate. ;)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5293 on: January 11, 2016, 01:17:41 PM »
Froze tomato paste ice cubes so that I will use the whole damn can this time--no waste!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5294 on: January 11, 2016, 01:19:36 PM »
-Picking up free beef from a neighbor on the Buy Nothing Group today. It's been in their freezer over a year, but that doesn't matter if it goes into a curry =)

Ended up all being local meat! One pack organic, one not. 1.75lbs of flank steak (organic) and 0.8lb stew meat. And a 5.5lb bag of frozen green beans, to boot!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5295 on: January 11, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »

Ended up all being local meat! One pack organic, one not. 1.75lbs of flank steak (organic) and 0.8lb stew meat. And a 5.5lb bag of frozen green beans, to boot!
Nice!

I packed leftovers from a party for lunch.  One of my friends left a ton of fruit that I had for breakfast and dessert. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5296 on: January 12, 2016, 01:44:52 AM »
1) Back to using the Sham-free method of hairwashing. Slipped back to shampoo use over Christmas. Its simply 1 T. baking soda in 1 C. of water. Works wonders on my hair and scalp (and husband and daughter too). 

2) Used day old bread that daughter baked to make a simple lunch of cheese and lettuce sandwiches for the kids.

3) Stretched the ground beef for tacos tonight by adding cooked rice. Probably increases volume by 1/3.

4) Stood and did calculations of price/units at store today to figure out that the sale price on a smaller bag was better than the regular price on a bigger bag.

5) Had hubby sign claim forms for orthodontics for kids right away so we can send away for our reimbursement.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5297 on: January 12, 2016, 08:30:45 AM »
I went into NYC last night and stayed too late to catch the bus that goes right by my house - I ended up taking one to a train station about 1.5 miles away. I walked home at 1am instead of spending the ~$8 for an Uber.

It was actually a rather pleasant walk.

jordanread

« Reply #5298 on: January 12, 2016, 09:01:31 AM »
1) Back to using the Sham-free method of hairwashing. Slipped back to shampoo use over Christmas. Its simply 1 T. baking soda in 1 C. of water. Works wonders on my hair and scalp (and husband and daughter too). 

What is 1 C. of water? I've been using bar soap for my hair, but I'd like to know your recipe. Is it really that simple?

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5299 on: January 12, 2016, 10:34:34 AM »
*  Packed homemade lunch (and dinner) and snacks for the day.
*  Will turn in receipts for a $60 reimbursement tonight