Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020869 times)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #14200 on: December 10, 2020, 10:48:26 AM »
Waiting until 7pm to charge my car.  But an alarm on my phone to remind me to plug it in after supper. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14201 on: December 10, 2020, 02:37:17 PM »
Thank you, @MaybeBabyMustache.

Since my last post:
~I put my hairdresser on hold until further notice.  :(  She was understanding, so I know it's not just me.
~Reduced next week's grocery order by about $100.
~Reduced the remaining Christmas gift list to $100.

Here's to a new year indeed.

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
« Reply #14202 on: December 10, 2020, 05:47:24 PM »
Turned off all the Thermostats.   Offered the kids a $20 bonus each if we can get the electric bill under $100 for the month & they are into it!   They're making sure everything is off & unplugged when not used.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14203 on: December 10, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
-Last night - 13 y.o prepped free meal kit, for a delicious dinner. Tonight - I put together dinner using fridge options & random leftovers
-I keep all of our bows after we open gifts. We do this largely for environmental reasons, but there are financial benefits as well
-Found a perfect gift bag for my husband's work gift he needed (recycling & frugal for the win)
-Went through 2020 budget, (almost) EOY spending recap & building a plan for additional frugality in 2021

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #14204 on: December 11, 2020, 11:15:10 AM »
I use my deck in the winter for putting large pots out to cool overnight. I have a pot with a locking top to prevent animals from tipping it over. I call it my alternate refrigerator!

Hmm, absence of a locking top, that's where I went wrong...

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #14205 on: December 12, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »
Traded vegetables from my farm share, with a friend who has a farm share with a different farm, so we get different things. 
Also traded leftover Christmas cards from past years with same friend, so neither of us had to buy new ones to send this year.
Helped another friend cut their cat's nails, in exchange for a haircut - I haven't paid for a haircut since last December.
Finished making some Christmas gifts from odds and ends left from previous years' gift-making: total cost $0. Just labor.
Got a +/- $25 dividend from my home/auto insurance company.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14206 on: December 13, 2020, 12:28:01 AM »
Bought a year’s worth of cleaning supplies on 12.12. Saved 25 rmb for every 200 rmb that I spent.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14207 on: December 13, 2020, 03:27:03 AM »
I use my deck in the winter for putting large pots out to cool overnight. I have a pot with a locking top to prevent animals from tipping it over. I call it my alternate refrigerator!

Hmm, absence of a locking top, that's where I went wrong...

Think pressure cooker pot with lid.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14208 on: December 13, 2020, 04:12:34 AM »
I stayed home all day yesterday and a friend came over.  I ordered us Indian food to be delivered and the portions were so large and the food tasted so good.  Today my Prius is gonna turn 60000 miles and the idiot light has been saying "Maintenance Required Soon" so I will tend to that with Valvoline's help, ideally before it snows this week.  Snow = yuck. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14209 on: December 13, 2020, 09:02:01 AM »
-Sold two crystal glasses on eBay yesterday. Will package them up with all recycled packaging, and request a free package pickup to save on a trip to the post office
-Son made the last of the free meal kits, and we have at least another dinner's worth of leftovers for the week
-Made my husband a hat. We decided on no "gifts" this year, and hand made or experiences only. It's been pretty fun to get creative

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #14210 on: December 13, 2020, 10:08:50 AM »
Mr. Z saves the string on the top of the large dog food bags...I pick up sticks under our maple trees. Together we make bundles of firestarters for our woodstove, as Mr. Z says, "free, free, free!"
I made a stir fry out of leftover chicken and the very last of our fresh garden produced spaghetti squash and green peppers. Time to move on to the ones that we bagged and froze this summer.
We are making gnomes for some of our Christmas gifts...styrofoam cones covered with felt, fur and fleece left over from other projects. (Bless my darling daughter in law for the gnome making lesson.)

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #14211 on: December 13, 2020, 06:37:45 PM »
Finished the demo on a sorely needed bathroom project. Wife picked out fixtures and tile that should come in well under the allowance, so we should be under budget for the overall project.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #14212 on: December 15, 2020, 02:36:54 PM »
* Made two loaves of bread to go with our lunches (soup and grilled cheese, yum).

* Made a triple batch of seitan sausages. It's much cheaper than buying vegetarian sausages and they freeze well.

* I made too much rice for a meal a few weeks back, so I just stuck it in the freezer since we rarely eat leftover rice. Tonight is the night when I turn it into delicious fried rice for dinner.

* We desperately needed new windshield wipers, so I ordered on Sat and they arrived last night. Found out you can get refillable wipers -- they have super sturdy arms and you just swap out the blades. A pack of 10 blades was only $8 (the starter kit was $25). I usually spend $20 a pop on new wipers every 10-12 months here in the rainy PNW, so this is a major savings. I bought the starter kit and a pack, just in case the product disappears in a few months. The reviews were excellent and I'm thus far impressed with apparent quality and the performance.

* Wife just took on a small part time side hustle. Flexible hours, no customer interaction, decent hourly rate. This will pad out the house down payment fund nicely.

* The boy busted a part on one of his RC planes yesterday during a rough landing. $20 to order in a new one. He successfully modeled it and was able to print it at my wife's shop for free. His savings, but it counts!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14213 on: December 15, 2020, 07:39:39 PM »
Lunch was provided by work unexpectedly so I got a free lunch and brought my packed one home to eat for dinner. There should be enough for lunch tomorrow, too!

Took my gifts to mail to the PO today. I'd read that today was the last day to ship them regular post without paying for expedited shipping. Used the flat rate boxes with repurposed packing material and xmas stickers I already had. Tucked their holiday cards into the packages instead of mailing them separately.  That's $2 in postage saved over mailing those cards with a stamp on their own.

I knew I was mailing presents this year, so got smaller, easily mailable items that didn't require special packaging or large boxes.  I had to count the shipping costs in the budget for gifts, so they were naturally smaller anyway.

Ironed a piece of wrapping paper and used it to wrap a gift. It was a scrap that got bent in the storage bin and now it looks great. (It was very satisfying to use up that big scrap that perfectly fit a gift box from my stash!)Taped a reused bow on top and a tag made from an old Christmas box. Most of my gift tags are made from past year's holiday cards or pretty packaging cut into shapes and hole-punched to thread a ribbon through.

Found the Xmas cards I'd gotten for free from work this spring. New in package, expensive cards that I'd tucked in my xmas box and forgotten about. It worked out so nicely that I have very pretty cards to mail since I won't see many people in person this holiday. I still have some left for next year, too.

Paid two medical bills as soon as they came in. Apparently the local hospital offers a 10% discount if you pay before the due date. $8 saved

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14214 on: December 16, 2020, 10:19:34 AM »
Last night was the first time of picking up the monthly grocery order for under $300.  Based on the proteins and produce purchased, this amount will be sustainable in the future.  On the ap, I was able to add or remove items to make budget, and took into account added taxes.

I said goodbye to the office window decorators this morning.  I tipped/gifted them $20 and two gift cards.  I hope things will pick back up mid-2021.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14215 on: December 16, 2020, 04:59:52 PM »
I saved money by driving safely in slush on the commute home.  I bought a full tank of gas last night to make my car heavier.  I used an app to save on said gas and hopefully I bought gas cheap before the prices go up closer to Christmas. 

I spent money buying stamps online with a $1.30 shipping charge after 3 brick and mortar stores told me they had no postage stamps to sell me.  At least this way I can get the cheerful kind of stamps I prefer.  I also attempted to reduce the amount of junk mail I receive in my mailbox cubby—Valpak coupons I will never use, for example. 

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #14216 on: December 16, 2020, 10:42:08 PM »
I ordered some napkins for my daughter from Zazzle. I did not like the way they looked ( stitching was not good) and asked for authorization to return them. They told me to keep them and refunded my money!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #14217 on: December 17, 2020, 05:55:28 AM »
I darned four socks.  I love these wool socks but have worn out the heels in them all.  I am wearing one of the pairs this morning - and the darning is working.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14218 on: December 17, 2020, 06:24:56 AM »
Was on the verge of buying 2 new plastic sippy cups for the granddaughters.  They would have replaced two which had rolled under the seat in the car and were undiscovered for about a week. 
That sour milk smell wasn't coming out until Google came to the rescue with suggestions of soaking in water and baking soda.  Worked perfectly, would definitely recommend for anyone else who has the same issue.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14219 on: December 17, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »
-Eating out of the fridge & freezer, ahead of a trip
-Made the decision to fly instead of drive this weekend. It's an unpleasantly long road trip (12 hours each way), & staying safe during COVID was the main factor, not money. But, we'll save about $1k, factoring in flight credits & no rental car. We'll also avoid an Uber to/from the airport, which we would also want to avoid during COVID. We'll be staying at our own house once we get there, so not at risk & will quarantine.
-Saved Christmas gift mailing packages/envelopes for future eBay sales

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14220 on: December 17, 2020, 08:58:29 AM »
I caught the fact that the MRI that my husband has scheduled next week is at an out-of-network facility.  His doctor is going to have to send new orders to an in-network facility.  Hoping we can get it done before the end of the year.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #14221 on: December 17, 2020, 12:33:08 PM »
I caught the fact that the MRI that my husband has scheduled next week is at an out-of-network facility.  His doctor is going to have to send new orders to an in-network facility.  Hoping we can get it done before the end of the year.

Good catch @Sugaree

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14222 on: December 17, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »

* We desperately needed new windshield wipers, so I ordered on Sat and they arrived last night. Found out you can get refillable wipers -- they have super sturdy arms and you just swap out the blades. A pack of 10 blades was only $8 (the starter kit was $25). I usually spend $20 a pop on new wipers every 10-12 months here in the rainy PNW, so this is a major savings. I bought the starter kit and a pack, just in case the product disappears in a few months. The reviews were excellent and I'm thus far impressed with apparent quality and the performance.

Another tip to make the wiper blades last longer - apply Rain X to the windshield every few months.  I've found I hardly have to use the wipers much in the rain as it just beads and rolls off, thus preserving the blades.  With snow it isn't quite as effective, but if the windshield is warm from defroster it still works well.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #14223 on: December 20, 2020, 07:36:37 PM »
My young horse has already outgrown the blankets I bought her this fall. I found a new one in a bigger size on sale, but it occurred to me today that my old retired horse has lost a lot of muscle, and might wear a smaller size now. Sure enough, her outgrown blankets fit him perfectly, and she can inherit his bigger, perfectly good blankets!

Put together a gift bag for the lady who cares for my retired horse. Homemade apple butter, homegrown garlic, horseradish and specialty dried peppers in a gift bag that probably held a gift from my MIL. She will be thrilled and it cost me $0!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14224 on: December 20, 2020, 08:56:48 PM »
My young horse has already outgrown the blankets I bought her this fall. I found a new one in a bigger size on sale, but it occurred to me today that my old retired horse has lost a lot of muscle, and might wear a smaller size now. Sure enough, her outgrown blankets fit him perfectly, and she can inherit his bigger, perfectly good blankets!

Put together a gift bag for the lady who cares for my retired horse. Homemade apple butter, homegrown garlic, horseradish and specialty dried peppers in a gift bag that probably held a gift from my MIL. She will be thrilled and it cost me $0!

Your gift may have not cost you in money, but it cost you time and effort.  Which makes it even more valuable, in my estimation.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14225 on: December 21, 2020, 06:15:38 PM »
Planned to get a few more items to round out a Xmas gift basket. Found a useful item on Amazon instead. I strategically signed up for a free 30-day Prime trial to order a ton of Kindle Unlimited books and have free Xmas gift shipping.

Got a Xmas gift in the mail that replaces an item I was almost out of. Perfect timing makes for a perfect gift, even though it's not elaborate or expensive. I didn't have to spend anything to replace it.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14226 on: December 21, 2020, 06:37:44 PM »
My husband had a doctor's appointment today, so while he was doing that I wandered around the unclaimed baggage place.  I found a replacement for my many-generations old e-ink Kindle for $15.  The Fires were still basically the same as retail and more expensive than Prime Day prices, so I passed on that (I had a rough year with Kindles and broke both of mo e).  Also found a brand new with tags pair of steel toe Keen boots for my husband for $100+ less than retail.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #14227 on: December 23, 2020, 09:08:14 AM »
* Making tamales for our holiday dinner (our traditional feast is tamales and posole. Spouse is from New Mexico and would have it no other way). Love tamales, inexpensive, easy to veganize and can be made ahead.

* Also baking one last batch of cookies to fill up the almond tins I saved last spring and decorated to make festive. We don't normally buy nuts in tins, but had to at the beginning of the pandemic due to bulk options being a no-go, so I have saved them for nine months simply so I could fill them with cookies and use them as one more gift under the tree!

* Had a substantial sum unexpectedly deposit into the account this morning (legitimate windfall, not a banking error). Quickly transferred it over to savings before I was tempted to buy any books on my wishlist or pad out the gifts under the tree.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14228 on: December 23, 2020, 09:30:20 AM »
Got my house/car/umbrella policy annual bill and they are offering, for the first time I believe, a 5% discount if you pay a year in advance rather than doing a budget program. That will save me $70.55 plus, if I used my Costco Visa card I will get 1% bonus bucks of about $14. So, I think I will go that route this year.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14229 on: December 23, 2020, 09:57:48 AM »
-Answered a question on Swagbucks to get enough for a $15 Amazon gift card. I don't use the site often, but bought a few Home Depot gift cards there when they were having a promotion. We needed the Home Depot gift cards for a new dryer, which wasn't terribly frugal.
-Froze a few things we're not going to eat before the holidays

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #14230 on: December 23, 2020, 10:17:54 AM »
The local feed store chain has been offering $30 gift cards for $25 for Christmas, so I bought 10 of them. That will save me $50 on feed and supplies I would buy anyway over the next few months.

Also stopped at the grocery store and stocked up on Christmas specials - .88c/# Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower and a fresh, organic turkey for $1.49/#. I'll smoke the turkey quarters this weekend, season and freeze the breast to cook sous vide later, and then make a big batch of stock from the carcass

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14231 on: December 23, 2020, 01:35:25 PM »
I got my car fixed before it became much worse.  For some wacky reason my front end became “unclipped ” in many spots as I was driving through multiple states this week.  Maybe this will make the ol Prius even more aerodynamic. The dealership here seemed ridiculously cheap compared to where I live...labor costs I gather. 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #14232 on: December 25, 2020, 01:16:09 PM »
Not really a small thing, but a big victory for me and my moustache

I convinced my partner to NOT take up all of our duplex to make it a cottage!
It has been an open discussion for years, and we were getting close to a sort of deadline (we have some renos planned for the spring)
Today he accepted my view that we would have too much house, too much to furnish, to keep warm, to pay taxes on... just too much for our little family of 4
I'm sooo relieved!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14233 on: December 25, 2020, 06:53:41 PM »
Instead of buying a prebaked gingerbread house kit for $40, I made my own dough and made a gingerbread house from scratch. Also made my own icing instead of using store bought icing.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #14234 on: December 26, 2020, 09:28:16 AM »
Labeled my credit cards so I can remember what to use for 5% cash back January-March.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14235 on: December 26, 2020, 10:27:41 AM »
Not really a small thing, but a big victory for me and my moustache

I convinced my partner to NOT take up all of our duplex to make it a cottage!
It has been an open discussion for years, and we were getting close to a sort of deadline (we have some renos planned for the spring)
Today he accepted my view that we would have too much house, too much to furnish, to keep warm, to pay taxes on... just too much for our little family of 4
I'm sooo relieved!

Wow, that's a big win, @Kitsunegari

For us, planning a menu to incorporate the holiday leftovers, will stay home & snuggle up on this rainy day & drink wine received as a gift. No shopping on the horizon.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14236 on: December 29, 2020, 12:13:14 AM »
Borrowed a beginners music book for DD’s music lessons. Instead of paying $60 for a 30-minute music lesson, I’m downloading a 5-hour course on Udemy for $13 and using that to teach DD. In addition, I found free simple sheet music for DD. I found out that recorder music will serve well for harps as well, at least when you first start.

fpjeepy

• Stubble
« Reply #14237 on: December 30, 2020, 11:09:17 AM »
Flew out of the Myrtle Beach airport. Parked at Walmart and walked 1.5 miles to the terminal. Saved $110 in parking and got some exercise. Hopefully, my car is there when I get back.

Also, downloaded the chrome remote desktop extension for working remotely on my work desktop rather than paying $600/year for Teamviewer.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:14:58 AM by fpjeepy »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14238 on: December 30, 2020, 02:03:29 PM »
House swapped with a friend so we could vacation by a lake and they could spend their holiday in the city joining in the NYE festivities. Saved us $360 in hotel costs, and saved them even more in hotel costs (our apartment is located in an expensive area of town).

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14239 on: December 31, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »
My son outgrew his duck boots so I've been wearing them.  The soles sprang a leak, so I fixed them with a liquid rubber product. It worked!  The uppers are still clean and in good condition.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14240 on: January 02, 2021, 06:15:03 PM »
-Lots of creative leftover usage, post holidays
-Emailed Rite Aid about an online order that hasn't arrived...after a month. Now scheduled to arrive next week, and they credited me back $10.
-Returned a few gifts that didn't work out, even though I gave serious thought to keeping, given the hassle

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14241 on: January 03, 2021, 05:12:04 AM »
I obtained my last refill of the year of an expensive daily required medication for free, saving roughly $545, taking advantage of the deductible system.  I also obtained free yarn from my charity stitching group using a contactless pickup method.  Today I’m venturing out for breakfast with a work friend/podmate and will return some Amazon purchases at a nearby UPS Dropbox. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14242 on: January 05, 2021, 10:28:23 PM »
It wasn't today and I wasn't exactly something I did, but I'm so pleased I have to share: I thought I was going to have to suck up a 15% restocking fee on a laptop return, and possibly return shipping fees and who knows what else... but since it was "the holidays" (aka I waited to buy myself something when there are good sales) they apparently waived all their fees and I got a full refund down to the penny. I was really bummed about the new laptop not working out for me, but losing $120+ on top of that was going to really suck. Hooray! And I guess I get to keep on trucking with my 9.5 year old laptop for another little while...

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14243 on: January 06, 2021, 01:38:09 AM »
i painted my front door (exterior) today. it only cost about $6 for 2 sample size cans of paint and about 45 mins to do.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14244 on: January 06, 2021, 12:07:53 PM »
On NYE, drank an unopened bottle of champagne leftover from an event earlier this year, and ate chocolate covered strawberries I made in September then froze because I neglected to bring them on a camping trip.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #14245 on: January 07, 2021, 04:50:51 AM »
Found some book store gift cards in a drawer that I had totally forgotten about.  Used them to buy some pretty stationery and greeting cards online.  I should be set for at least five years now in that regard. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14246 on: January 07, 2021, 04:13:42 PM »
-Used a drug store reward to offset some of a prescription charge
-Leftovers for dinner last night, and tonight
-Continued to try & track down our ski pass insurance (we can't go due to COVID, which was explicitly listed as covered before we bought it). Now, insurance company is balking at paying.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14247 on: January 08, 2021, 10:50:50 AM »
I ordered a lift chair online that I now may not need, due to having a different type of plastic surgery than originally planned.  I sent the Amazon seller a msg to see if the giant box can be diverted.  If not I will keep it and use it for extra seating.  It cost roughly $550.  Now that I've lost 135 lbs I need comfortable seating for my newly skinny hindparts--a good problem to have. 

I ate some things out of the fridge last night and this morning.  I am eating down the contents before I place another big delivery order. 

I logged a bunch of FreshStep cat litter points as I am 100% a crazy hippie cat lady and the empty boxes went to recycling. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14248 on: January 08, 2021, 01:01:13 PM »
Packing up Christmas decorations and gift bags for reuse in December.  This year instead of purchasing a door decoration (not that I usually do that anyway),  I made a wreath using found pine cones, a frame that I found when helping clean up after a tag sale, and a glue gun. I decorated it with some hedge trimmings and parts of broken ornaments from my decorations box... handsome, reusable, and free!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14249 on: January 08, 2021, 01:57:02 PM »
@Loretta, congratulations on your weight loss!