Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020927 times)

Tabitha

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13450 on: December 01, 2019, 06:41:35 PM »
The power has been out for 6 hours. (Downed power line due to ice storm.)  We were tempted to go out for dinner, but instead hauled out the butane stove and used a boiling pot of water to heat up some cans for dinner. A hot meal was welcome as the furnace is out.

I’ve been working on eating down the freezer/pantry. That’s still a goal but it’s good to remember to keep a couple of meals on hand in canned form.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13451 on: December 01, 2019, 07:02:18 PM »
Stocked my freezer with free food.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #13452 on: December 01, 2019, 08:25:19 PM »
Stocked my freezer with free food.

Nice!..:)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13453 on: December 01, 2019, 11:07:03 PM »
DH and I went out to look at a potential flip house that had just come on the market, despite the fact that we're both sick and just wanted to stay home. Two things drove us out in the rain: bids were due today even though it's only been on the market since Friday (ugh!) and we were out of cold drugs. The house was a total disaster, so we passed on it. By the time we finished, we were starving. It was so tempting to stop for food while we were picking up the meds, but we didn't do it. Went home and ate leftovers for the win.

Also saved a bunch of money ($450k-ish + reno costs ) by not buying the house, because it was a cash-only deal.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13454 on: December 02, 2019, 07:01:34 AM »
DD lost her gloves. Instead of buying a new pair, I crocheted a pair out of left over yarn.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #13455 on: December 02, 2019, 07:15:34 AM »

Also saved a bunch of money ($450k-ish + reno costs ) by not buying the house, because it was a cash-only deal.

Hey, what a coincidence!  I also did not buy a house yesterday, too!  Can I count that?
:-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13456 on: December 02, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »

Hey, what a coincidence!  I also did not buy a house yesterday, too!  Can I count that?
:-)
Yes, but only if combined with other money saving efforts, lol!

OTOH - Did you even look at a house yesterday, like with an actual Realtor? If not, you might not qualify for "not" buying a house. The temptation must be there. Resistance is key.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13457 on: December 02, 2019, 08:02:48 PM »
-Tons of leftovers for dinner
-Figured out a way to get free shipping on a gift, and not have to mail a package myself, saving about $8
-Drove electric car to work today & charged for free

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #13458 on: December 02, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »
Wanted a wreath for our door- they had advent wreath making at church- I just covered the candle holder part of the wreath with more greenery and added ribbons- cost to me-$0
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:43:23 AM by marion10 »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13459 on: December 03, 2019, 01:32:02 AM »
Working from home today because of hail and slippery roads. Saving on fuel.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13460 on: December 03, 2019, 05:14:08 AM »
It was my younger daughter's 8th birthday over the weekend so we had 8 girls stay over for a sleepover party.  I made home made pizza for the girls for dinner and a home made birthday cake (both chocolate and vanilla to cater to all tastes).  For the homemade pizza, I had various toppings that the girls could choose - olives, hot dogs, salami, tuna, artichokes and mozzarella cheese.  For breakfast we had home made pancakes with various toppings.  The girls stayed up late watching Netflix movies and playing with DD's legos and board games.  A great time was had by all and total cost including wine for some of the parents and other nibblies was around Euro 100.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13461 on: December 03, 2019, 07:17:56 AM »
@Hula Hoop - that sounds like a fantastic party!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #13462 on: December 03, 2019, 08:04:42 AM »
Last night we had leftovers for Sunday dinner but it didn't feel like leftovers because I used two frying pans instead of the microwave so everything was hot when it went on the plates and nothing was soggy.  It also meant that the one steak was stretched into 8 servings. 

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13463 on: December 03, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »
While at the self check out at Stop N Shop I looked over the left behind coupons and there was a $1 off cheese that I was buying, so thanks to whomever didn't take their coupons before me.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13464 on: December 03, 2019, 01:13:05 PM »
I forgot my chips and I was going to buy some from the vending machine, but instead I ate a free cupcake. (My lunch was missing carbs.)

firstmatedavy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13465 on: December 04, 2019, 05:12:28 AM »
I worked on sewing a cover for the inflatable part of a small boat, to protect it from UV and chafing so it lasts longer.

Also narrowly remembered to soak some chickpeas for dinner because of this thread.

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
« Reply #13466 on: December 04, 2019, 07:51:08 AM »
I brought lunch from home on Monday and on Wednesday, $10 saved :)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13467 on: December 04, 2019, 08:10:37 PM »
Picked up the groceries I ordered from Aldi. No impulse buys! I'm able to sit on my couch and order broccoli and chicken breasts, versus caving to cheap wine and frozen dinners. I came straight home and heated up some of last batch cook, even though I was tempted by all the new food.
I listened to an audiobook from the public library while I put away groceries and prepped all the veggies. That way I know I'll actually eat them instead of staring at that head of broccoli, deciding it's too much work and eating granola for dinner. 
I'm decorating with all the holiday stuff I already have. I was very proud of last year's self for putting it all away neatly so that I could find it this year!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13468 on: December 04, 2019, 10:26:34 PM »
Changed my oil today - 215k miles. Good 'til 220k!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13469 on: December 04, 2019, 11:30:40 PM »
My Citi credit card has an offer this month where I can use my card 3x at CVS and get a $10 credit. I can always stock up on necessities at a drug store (toilet paper, vitamins, etc.) so it's easy to make non-wasteful purchases there. I just have to remember to go to a CVS instead of a different store closer to my apartment. Tonight I remembered and also used $4 worth of coupons, so it was a double win :-)

nburns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13470 on: December 05, 2019, 11:06:35 AM »
Did some minor plumbing work on the kitchen sink rather than calling a plumber.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13471 on: December 05, 2019, 05:48:14 PM »
Well, I had a colonoscopy and upper EGD this morning wherein we may have finally found the cause of my gastric distress.  Gotta do some more tests with Labcorp while the biopsied bits are with the lab but we might actually have a way forward!  The drugs were good and like they advised at the surgery center, I did NOT go make any large purchases or sign into any contracts. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13472 on: December 05, 2019, 07:30:32 PM »
-Ate dinner at home, despite temptations & kid requests
-tracked down the claim for an accident (car vs bike) & have uploaded all requested documentation. The insurance company has finally accepted responsibility, which is a huge step in the right direction. Eventually, we will be paid for our medical bills for our son, & his replacement bike.
-Stayed on top of leftovers, to reduce waste.
-Booked a flight for a trip in April. Used a previous credit to cover the full cost of the flight.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13473 on: December 05, 2019, 08:06:17 PM »
I'm volunteering at a social dance so I can get in for free.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13474 on: December 05, 2019, 09:47:31 PM »
Made dinner, even though work is crazy right now & it's a hassle when things are this crazy.  But my daughter really deserves good food even if I'm stressed from work.  And it's cheaper than going out or ordering in.  Cheaper than doing frozen dinners, too.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13475 on: December 07, 2019, 07:52:10 AM »
We entered a raffle for my son's soccer club (to provide scholarships). He won a $250 gift card, which we will use to buy him new futsal cleats. We'll save the rest for a new uniform, when one is required. In other news, we never win anything, so this was pleasantly surprising.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #13476 on: December 07, 2019, 07:04:30 PM »
Went to the rummage sale room at a church bazaar.  Got a brand new wool plaid blanket made in Ireland, a luggage tag, a small notebook, a hat, and a wooden jointed bird puppet. Spent a total of $7.50. A blanket, hat, and luggage tag were things that had been on my shopping list for awhile.  I hadn't previously realized I needed a bird puppet.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 07:06:51 PM by MyAlterEgoIsTaller »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13477 on: December 08, 2019, 01:37:30 AM »
Will make banana pancakes from overripe bananas for breakfast.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13478 on: December 08, 2019, 02:06:35 AM »
We are eating our second half-baked bread that is 6 weeks past best before date. The bread is half baked in a bakery and then vacuum wrapped. It can be stored for months. Our breads have been in our cabin that was frozen for quite some time. And best before date is exactly that, best before. So we took the chance and it tasted okay.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13479 on: December 08, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »
I was too tired to write this up last night, but I'm taking it today. Yesterday was our library's eleventh annual Used-Books-In-Such-Good-Condition-You-Can-Give-Them-As-Gifts Sale.* I was on my feet most of the day. The sale ended at 5:00. It took us until 6:00 to break down (Yay, teamwork!). As we drove home across town, it was so tempting to stop somewhere for dinner. Instead, I fixed a pasta and veg dish from scratch and heated up some leftover turkey. We finished our home-cooked meal at 7:00. Practically a miracle!

*This sale was my frugal idea and I am very proud of it. I'm not afraid to let my frugal flag fly. In eleven years, this little event has generated over $20k over and above our regular sales. A lot of people are able to buy very inexpensive gifts (for others or for themselves, lol) and my beloved, cozy library is the beneficiary.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13480 on: December 08, 2019, 03:25:09 PM »
Decided to DIY some acoustic panels for my home instead of (over)paying for finished panels from a manufacturer.  The basic formula I am following is here:

https://www.coreybautistaaudio.com/diy-acoustic-panel-guide

Since I want it to look stylish, I've commissioned my daughter to put custom artwork on each panel for me.  She's almost 13 and quite talented. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13481 on: December 09, 2019, 12:47:23 AM »
Decided to DIY some acoustic panels for my home instead of (over)paying for finished panels from a manufacturer.  The basic formula I am following is here:

Since I want it to look stylish, I've commissioned my daughter to put custom artwork on each panel for me.  She's almost 13 and quite talented.

We have some home made panels in our living room as well. The sound improved a lot. DH is an expert on this stuff and could measure a difference before and after installing them.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13482 on: December 09, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »

We have some home made panels in our living room as well. The sound improved a lot. DH is an expert on this stuff and could measure a difference before and after installing them.

Dealing with echo in a home with hard flat walls and hard floors (wood in our case) goes a long way to making a room feel cozy and comfortable.  I'm also going to add some large area rugs I found for 75% off, between those 2 things it should make our everyday experience much more homey. 

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #13483 on: December 09, 2019, 08:25:00 PM »
Already this winter I lost a glove. The right glove to a nicely broken in pair of black leather gloves. Two (three?) years ago I lost the left glove of a pair of black leather gloves.

Today I put those 2 orphans together and I have gloves to get me through the winter. The decorative detail at the wrist is slightly different, but nobody but me will ever notice.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13484 on: December 10, 2019, 09:38:35 AM »
I successfully cooked Chile verde. I know it doesn’t  sound like much, but this is the dish that sends us to a Mexican restaurant every week or so. I didn’t perfect it, but it’s good. Needs a few tweaks and frozen Margaritas and it’ll save us $150 a month.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13485 on: December 10, 2019, 10:48:41 AM »
I successfully cooked Chile verde. I know it doesn’t  sound like much, but this is the dish that sends us to a Mexican restaurant every week or so. I didn’t perfect it, but it’s good. Needs a few tweaks and frozen Margaritas and it’ll save us $150 a month.

@Buffalo Chip do you think the recipe would also work if I replace the tomatillos by tomatoes? We don't have tomatillos over here.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13486 on: December 10, 2019, 01:45:47 PM »

@Buffalo Chip do you think the recipe would also work if I replace the tomatillos by tomatoes? We don't have tomatillos over here.

Yeah, lack of tomatillos is a problem. You might be able to get away with green plum tomatoes, but it would likely change the flavor some. Tomatillos are very dense so I’d not use a salad tomato. Worth a try I guess. You might be able to get canned tomatillos.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 01:49:54 PM by Buffalo Chip »

NLExx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13487 on: December 10, 2019, 02:57:16 PM »
Was stuck on my way to work today - pedals turning wild suddenly but the wheel not moving. Watched some youtube videos during the day.

Once home I dissambled the rear hub, cleaned all parts, greased and put back together. Works like new.

Has not only saved me the money for a new wheel but also enables me to cycle again tomorrow. Was already planning for public transport for a couple days.

Fixing things I have never done before gives me greatest feeling of satisfaction :) so good.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13488 on: December 11, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »

Could you grow your own next year? They're actually easier than tomatoes IMO and if I can grow them in England, should be OK in Norway.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13489 on: December 12, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
Checked out several ebooks from our public library and read them through the Kindle app.

GreenIvy66

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13490 on: December 12, 2019, 02:46:36 PM »
This was done yesterday, but I figured I would share anyway...

I will be hosting Christmas dinner for the family this year, and I know that my family likes to have wine with meals. I was able to buy 7 nice bottles of wine for $37, with shipping and tax included in that price. There will be plenty of wine for the family to enjoy, and my husband and I will have a bottle or two to keep for ourselves as well. :)

If I'm going to spend money, I will compare prices and scour the internet for promo codes until I can bring the cost down as low as possible.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13491 on: December 13, 2019, 05:37:22 AM »
Drinking a cup of tea from plants that I picked this spring in our garden. And eating leftover cake from my goodbye party at work.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13492 on: December 13, 2019, 05:39:11 AM »

Could you grow your own next year? They're actually easier than tomatoes IMO and if I can grow them in England, should be OK in Norway.

Thanks for the idea, I'll check it out.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #13493 on: December 14, 2019, 12:48:21 PM »
if you take the train from the airport to Templeton (the easternmost stop on Sea Island), the fare is free since it's airport parking. From Templeton you should be able to walk to Bridgeport (the nearest stop not subject to the airport surcharge).

That's exactly what I did!

BFive55

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13494 on: December 15, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »
Been eating oatmeal for breakfast and then getting protein by eating 4-6 eggs for lunch (plus other stuff, too lol). Instead of buying the Egg Beaters I just crack the egg and scoop out the yolk on half the eggs I eat. A dozen eggs for like $1.29 (Trader Joe's has the cheapest eggs, even cheaper than Wal Mart!) and toast or some pasta and it's a relatively cheap breakfast/lunch. It helps me save so I can spend a bit more on a nicer dinner.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13495 on: December 15, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
Been eating oatmeal for breakfast and then getting protein by eating 4-6 eggs for lunch (plus other stuff, too lol). Instead of buying the Egg Beaters I just crack the egg and scoop out the yolk on half the eggs I eat. A dozen eggs for like $1.29 (Trader Joe's has the cheapest eggs, even cheaper than Wal Mart!) and toast or some pasta and it's a relatively cheap breakfast/lunch. It helps me save so I can spend a bit more on a nicer dinner.

If there's an Aldi near you, it'll beat out Trader Joe's.  Eggs at my local Aldi vary widely in price, but generally are $0.79-$0.99 per dozen.  Definitely super frugal eating there.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13496 on: December 15, 2019, 09:09:31 AM »

If there's an Aldi near you, it'll beat out Trader Joe's.  Eggs at my local Aldi vary widely in price, but generally are $0.79-$0.99 per dozen.  Definitely super frugal eating there.

A couple of family members got food poisoning off their eggs a couple years back. Aldi is great otherwise. I’m now an egg snob: only brand name eggs purchased. That one hospital visit wiped out any savings for a lifetime.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13497 on: December 15, 2019, 12:13:12 PM »
-Used up 2 drug store rewards to pick up items we needed. I replaced my travel face lotion that I ran out of on my recent work trip.
-Used grocery store rewards to pick up an item my son wanted for a baking project. He's attempting cake balls.
-Youngest child won a $250 gift card to a local soccer store in a raffle. We picked up goalie gloves, futsal cleats & a soccer ball, & still have about half left over. A huge win!
-Brought tea in a flask to our 7:00 am game yesterday. Most parents went for coffee, but I was able to drink my free from home hot tea.

BFive55

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13498 on: December 15, 2019, 02:10:02 PM »

There is an Aldi in the same county I live in but it's inconvenient, unfortunately. By the time I drive there I'd have spent $3 on gas there and back and about 40 minutes driving. I wish it was closer.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13499 on: December 16, 2019, 08:41:30 AM »

A couple of family members got food poisoning off their eggs a couple years back. Aldi is great otherwise. I’m now an egg snob: only brand name eggs purchased. That one hospital visit wiped out any savings for a lifetime.

Do you test your eggs before using them? Just put them in a cup of water. If the egg lays or stands on the bottom, it is fresh enough to eat. If it floats you should not use it. And eggs should not be eaten in raw form, because of the risk of salmonella.