Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020791 times)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9300 on: August 03, 2017, 01:03:54 PM »
*grocery delivery week 5. It's actually saving me money!
Grocery delivery is the secret to my low grocery bill.  :D

Made lunch for a friend visiting yesterday.  Packed the leftovers for work today. 
Made a smoothie for breakfast with random fruit that is pretty close to going bad.
Made a large batch of iced tea to drink
Decided to come post here instead of buying something online

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9301 on: August 03, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »
*made bread even though it's too hot out to bake

*prepared three dinners before this heatwave. Future me is so happy that I did all that hard work!

Do you have a toaster oven? Plug it in outside and make bread like that! Or anything else that needs to bake. Even if you have to do multiple batches, it still saves you money because you're not putting heat inside and a toaster oven uses maybe 1/3 the energy of a regular oven.

Or a bread machine, I absolutely love mine. It was pretty expensive because I couldn't find a used one, but it's made its money back just from making burger buns alone.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9302 on: August 03, 2017, 01:38:03 PM »

*prepared three dinners before this heatwave. Future me is so happy that I did all that hard work!

Do you have a toaster oven? Plug it in outside and make bread like that! Or anything else that needs to bake.

I keep seeing comments like this and getting confused. What kind of toaster ovens do people have that you could bake a loaf of bread in? Mine has maybe 5-6 inches of space between the rack and the broiler element.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9303 on: August 03, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »

Do you have a toaster oven? Plug it in outside and make bread like that! Or anything else that needs to bake. Even if you have to do multiple batches, it still saves you money because you're not putting heat inside and a toaster oven uses maybe 1/3 the energy of a regular oven.

Well this is freakin brilliant!!!!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9304 on: August 03, 2017, 01:47:46 PM »

Do you have a toaster oven? Plug it in outside and make bread like that! Or anything else that needs to bake.

I keep seeing comments like this and getting confused. What kind of toaster ovens do people have that you could bake a loaf of bread in? Mine has maybe 5-6 inches of space between the rack and the broiler element.

I'm not saying make a 1.5-2 lb loaf, like what you might buy in a store. A 1 lb loaf should fit. Or burger buns, or two long skinny french/italian loaves. You don't have to use a bread pan either, just put it directly on the pan so there is more room.

Though some toaster ovens are larger of course. Still worth it though in energy savings.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9305 on: August 03, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »
If you have an Instant Pot, supposedly you can make bread in it as well. I've never done this myself, and I'll admit at being skeptical. But might be worth an experiment.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9306 on: August 03, 2017, 02:27:29 PM »
Hmmm ... some good ideas here on bread baking! Thanks everyone for the input!

We do have an IP but it is a very tiny loaf and I have a very large family! haha!

I don't have a toaster over, and don't really want to buy one because I am always cooking for an army. I do cook with my crockpot outdoors in the summer, though.

I have a bread machine but the paddle got lost in our recent move :-(( I did find a replacement on amazon but its $25 plus shipping (not a prime item) so I'm not sure if I should order another paddle for this 13 year old Oster bread machine?

I was googling around and see that the Zojirushi is the king of bread machines! hahah! and sooooo expensive. Really its just the heat that has me not wanting to make bread and heat up my kitchen. All winter long (and fall and winter), I make 4 loaves with ease (or a huge loaf of french bread from refrigerator dough) so its seems silly to buy a $300 bread machine to survive these few weeks.

Must. Be. Stoic.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9307 on: August 03, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »
Hmmm ... some good ideas here on bread baking! Thanks everyone for the input!

We do have an IP but it is a very tiny loaf and I have a very large family! haha!

I don't have a toaster over, and don't really want to buy one because I am always cooking for an army. I do cook with my crockpot outdoors in the summer, though.

I have a bread machine but the paddle got lost in our recent move :-(( I did find a replacement on amazon but its $25 plus shipping (not a prime item) so I'm not sure if I should order another paddle for this 13 year old Oster bread machine?

I was googling around and see that the Zojirushi is the king of bread machines! hahah! and sooooo expensive. Really its just the heat that has me not wanting to make bread and heat up my kitchen. All winter long (and fall and winter), I make 4 loaves with ease (or a huge loaf of french bread from refrigerator dough) so its seems silly to buy a $300 bread machine to survive these few weeks.

Must. Be. Stoic.

Surely eBay has a cheaper paddle? I hear bread machines are pretty common in thrift stores though. I wasn't lucky enough to find one, except for one that was also missing a paddle.

Hmm..now I wonder what the $300 bread machine does that my <$100 one doesn't. I personally think it makes fabulous bread and has more than enough settings for me.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9308 on: August 03, 2017, 02:42:27 PM »
Hmmmm ... we have a gas grill ... I could do this!
http://breadtopia.com/grilled-bread/

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9309 on: August 03, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »
Made my first batch of homemade yoghurt!  I wasn't sure if it was actually going to save money, but based on the quantity I got, I think it will be cost effective.  Now I just have to hope my SO likes it as well as store-bought!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9310 on: August 03, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
A couple of nights of dinners that didn't lend themselves to leftovers for lunch meant the fridge was looking pretty bare when I was getting ready for work this morning. We'd also run out of bread, so a sandwich was out.

Husband: Just buy lunch.
Me: Hell no.

I grabbed a frozen jar of soup from the freezer and bought a 40c bread roll from the bakery on my way to the station.

I'm going to spend next four hours watching a jar of soup defrost...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9311 on: August 03, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »
I have a marvelous countertop convection oven/ rotisserie thing, considerably larger than a standard toaster oven. It'll do a pizza (homemade or frozen storebought), anything in a casserole, or enough oven fries for two (three if my husband's not home). I've never used the rotisserie function, but I barely use the big oven because of the other. As a bonus, it turns itself off when the time I set is up.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #9312 on: August 03, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »

Well that sounds like fun.  LOL.

We suspended our cable for the summer as a trial basis to see if we could get by.  DH doesn't think he can skip his hockey games once they start up again, but for now we are hanging around the house watching Netflix.  Its also amazing how many of the dull tv shows we paid good money for can be watched for free....I'm looking at you HGTV and Food Network.  Today it was Scooby Doo reruns with my teenagers and home made tacos.  Fun can be cheap people.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:31:34 PM by Juslookin »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9313 on: August 03, 2017, 06:42:33 PM »

Two hours down and I am pleased to report the top centimetre is now liquid.

Fun can be cheap people.

Damn right. Get yourself a soup ice-block!

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #9314 on: August 04, 2017, 04:07:29 AM »

Two hours down and I am pleased to report the top centimetre is now liquid.

Fun can be cheap people.

Damn right. Get yourself a soup ice-block!
Put the jar in lukewarm water, it'll thaw a lot quicker.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9315 on: August 04, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »
Packed breakfast, lunch, snacks, and iced tea

Have started to groom (bathe, cut nails, and trim) our two dogs. I decided to learn how to do it because our older dog has been getting anxious at the groomer.  So, I'll save us money, but the dogs will look a bit odd while I develop my technique.  However, neither of the dogs have noticed their current trims are a bit uneven.*

Making meals with what we have in the house.  We're both too lazy to go to the grocery store. 

*this a HUGE understatement

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #9316 on: August 04, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »
Not drink Starbucks, bought cheap but nice coffee at a local coffee shop which was a quarter of Starbuck's price.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9317 on: August 04, 2017, 01:43:09 PM »
Ate breakfast & lunch at home and will eat dinner at home tonight (as per usual). 

Bought a portable grill/stove for camping.  I know that's actually spending money, but it will save us $$ by letting us camp more on the weekends, rather than do 'nice things' around town that cost a lot of $$.

Felipe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9318 on: August 04, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
Eating all my meals at home-includes some tomatoes I grew.

Made the decision to sell some things I'll no longer need.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9319 on: August 04, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
Sent Amazon a photo of my student ID to renew my Prime Student account. Half-price Prime subscription for a year!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #9320 on: August 04, 2017, 04:47:54 PM »
Instead of getting dead and dying trees taken down in the normal manner, we waited for a storm to take them all down.  Lost about 15 today.  Most of the ones that fell are ones I actually wanted down anyways!

That's terrifying, but it really will save us money!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9321 on: August 04, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »
Instead of getting dead and dying trees taken down in the normal manner, we waited for a storm to take them all down.  Lost about 15 today.  Most of the ones that fell are ones I actually wanted down anyways!

Wow! I wish we could do that, but it would probably cause us to take down the power wires for the block, as well as 3 or 4 neighbors!

I tried MMM's rolled oats trick for making breakfast cereal last longer.  One of my kids scowled as he chewed through his bowl of cereal, but he ate it anyway.  50 cents, cha-ching! I may limit this trick to the cereals that only I like, in the future...

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #9322 on: August 04, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »

Wow! I wish we could do that, but it would probably cause us to take down the power wires for the block, as well as 3 or 4 neighbors!

I tried MMM's rolled oats trick for making breakfast cereal last longer.  One of my kids scowled as he chewed through his bowl of cereal, but he ate it anyway.  50 cents, cha-ching! I may limit this trick to the cereals that only I like, in the future...
We are surrounded by power lines, it's kind of a miracle none of them were hit!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9323 on: August 04, 2017, 09:56:40 PM »
* No car, no electric dryer, no eating out -- cargo bike to groceries and an afterschool activity, line-dried three loads, cooked two meals at home and mom brought over sandwiches for lunch

* Harvested a pumpkin grown from seed in the backyard
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:56:16 PM by jengod »

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #9324 on: August 05, 2017, 12:04:53 AM »
A record week of carpooling: 4 times of out 5. Usually I have offsite meeting that I need my car.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9325 on: August 05, 2017, 12:39:41 AM »
After a visit to a dental hygienist that didn't have any people skills, I asked why am I paying for this?

Now have a home scale and polish kit, which cost less than half the visit, and will keep me going for many years. I bought the cheapest container of polish, and it's massive....enough for 10 years!

I gave it a go last night, and while my first attempt wasn't perfect, I did get some of that "wow my teeth are so clean" feeling. The fronts are easy to do, the back of the teeth seems to need some nifty mirror work. But with practise I'm sure I can get there.

Another in sourcing success. :)

snorrie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9326 on: August 05, 2017, 12:55:04 AM »
Only cooked enough food for dinner last night, so I have no leftovers for lunch at work today (our usual tactic). I just remembered I still have some soup in the fridge at work, so combined with some slices of bread and some cheese that should do nicely.

Also: I hated my breakfast but ate it anyway, instead of going without and probably craving baked goods at work later.

Yesterday we avoided a planned trip to the pet store for kitty litter by checking the garage. We still have plenty. Win.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #9327 on: August 05, 2017, 12:58:34 AM »
Volunteered for the morning and was fed lunch. Free lunch was a bonus.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #9328 on: August 05, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »
I worked out and got super sweaty this morning, so couldn't avoid washing my hair before I went to get a haircut. My stylist asked if I was okay with getting a dry cut, instead of the whole wash/cut/blow dry deal. Dry cut ended up being $30 (including tip) instead of $50! I'll do that every time now, unless I have a specific fancy thing to go to.

I also go to a very no-frills salon, since it was super close to my old house and had good reviews. My stylist actually worked at one of the fanciest places in town for 5 years, but said she got sick of the bullshit clients and drama. So I get super-fancy-place level cuts for a max of $50 instead of $80.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9329 on: August 05, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »
On the way home from the airport, I missed the last direct bus coming home from the railway station. The direct bus would have been £1, and the other options would be paying for a bus to town (£1.70) and walking over a mile more or else taking a taxi (£10?) the whole way. Along the way, I bought a microwavable Cornish pasty so I could eat something as soon as I got home and got another one plus a refrigerated pizza to bake tomorrow (£4.30 total). So £5.70 savings over the taxi plus bonus food?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9330 on: August 05, 2017, 05:45:01 PM »
-Husband's bike tire was flat when we got back from our trip. Dead, done, bad flat. Instead of taking it to get fixed (which would require taking it, in the truck, downtown, and paying, and so on) husband watched some youtube videos, we got a new tube, and did it ourselves. Saved ~$12 over having someone else do it, plus we have a new skill for the future! Also got bonus skills on accident ;) Getting the tire out, we misaligned the breaks on accident, and had to learn to re-align those, too!
-Ate green beans from the garden. Delicious! And seeds are so cheap, the green beans broke even for price with that one roasted batch this afternoon, haha. (The soil and raised bed frames and such not so much, but those should last a long time... benefit of finally owning!)
-Told an Edward Jones rep I had no interest in his services. Was extra, extra easy, since upon me opening the door, he asked me if my mom or dad was home. "I am the homeowner, actually."
-Rode bikes to the grocery store instead of driving.
-Getting a new leather purse through Buy Nothing
-Continued the "Dog Prescription food coupon shuffle". First we signed up for pet perks (petsmart) and got $15 off the first flat, then 15% off the next 2 flats, then a manufacturer's coupon for $10 off the next one. Then we switched to chewy.com autoship and got 20% off the next 2 flats. Now we switched to petsmart's new autoship, which will get us 20%. Hopefully this will get us through her medication taper/acute issues and she can go back to her regular food after this. If not, I'll have to be content with a MERE 5% off from regular autoship ;) Hmmm, unless I can find a cardpool deal that's better... ideas.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9331 on: August 05, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »
-Told an Edward Jones rep I had no interest in his services. Was extra, extra easy, since upon me opening the door, he asked me if my mom or dad was home. "I am the homeowner, actually."

Awesome!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9332 on: August 05, 2017, 09:37:28 PM »

Awesome!

Haha. I'll also admit that I *really* enjoyed saying, "I manage our money myself, and we recently moved everything away from [other firm] to Vanguard. Thanks though". I did it in a nice, peppy voice though, so hopefully it didn't seem TOO sassy.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9333 on: August 05, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »
Today, it was about what I didn't buy. Namely, the burrito I was craving after hockey this morning.

Instead, I used up food we had in the pantry and put the money into my savings account. Tiny wins, right?! $10 at a time.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9334 on: August 06, 2017, 12:15:17 AM »
*made a giant pasta salad to take to a large gathering

*had groceries delivered again - countdown begins to use it all up before next week's delivery. I'm surprised and pleased that this service is saving me money!

*made a big loaf of refrigerator bread

*picked up some clearance clothes at Old Navy

*made a chili with beans done from dry in the InstantPot

*making a gluten free cake for a guest with the ebook that I caught on sale for $2 (Danielle Walker's "Celebrations")

*used up a ton of food in the last two days before grocery delivery got here tonite. I choose the odd hours which have the cheapest delivery cost. I pay $4.95 but the prime time delivery days and times are up to $12.95

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #9335 on: August 06, 2017, 01:06:42 AM »
Yesterday: after car was pronounced DOA by the mechanic, hiked 7 miles to work instead of renting a car.

That's sick! :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9336 on: August 06, 2017, 01:40:44 PM »
Today we ate for the second time from a big trout my husband cought 2 days ago.
Yesterday and the day before I have been eating seftpicked mushrooms.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9337 on: August 06, 2017, 02:34:57 PM »
Today, it was about what I didn't buy. Namely, the burrito I was craving after hockey this morning.

Instead, I used up food we had in the pantry and put the money into my savings account. Tiny wins, right?! $10 at a time.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/01/a-millionaire-is-made-ten-bucks-at-a-time/

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9338 on: August 06, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »
Went to a big mall, where I usually get a meal, a snack, a drink and a dessert.

I prepared by packing green tea and eating before I went. I bought a $4 snack, no drink, and instead of name brand underwear at 7-10/pair, I got the kind in plastic bags that cost $13/6.

The snack kept me feeling like the outing was a treat, at less than 1/4 of what I usually spend.

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9339 on: August 07, 2017, 02:57:24 AM »
My bus pass expired yesterday, so today begins the exciting journey of "how far into winter will I manage to keep biking?"!

I have to do at least one month worth of biking to "break even" (had to buy some tools and do some repairs), but after that, it'll go nowhere but up!

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9340 on: August 07, 2017, 07:34:46 AM »

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/01/a-millionaire-is-made-ten-bucks-at-a-time/

Yup! That's one of my favorite MMM articles.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #9341 on: August 07, 2017, 08:31:47 AM »
The surround (spongy rubber thing that lets the speaker wiggle) on my 20 y/o subwoofer ripped, probably due to age and having been through too many house moves.

Repaired it, for a grand total of $14.77 (and about an hour and a half of my time).

Bought a repair kit from http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_repair_kits_s/65.htm  (no affiliation).

- Scrape off old foam, scrape off a bunch of the gunky adhesive.
  (A task well-suited to sitting on the front porch while "keeping an eye" on your kid playing in the front yard).
- Had to cut the replacement surround slightly to fit - trimmed about 1mm off the edge.
- Glue center part.  Let dry.  Glue outer part.  This was a little fidgety to get everything adhered.  Let dry.

Very easy.  Nice lesson in here about how easy it was to fix.

(An alternate and less work approach is that the speaker itself for the sub is available on ebay for about $20, which seems shockingly cheap, but I like that all this approach needed was a little strip of foam, and didn't put much of anything in the dump.)

A full replacement on ebay is about $100.  So - saved $85 and didn't create waste.  Yay!

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #9342 on: August 07, 2017, 09:04:08 AM »
The self-tapping screws holding the little hydraulic piston onto the screen door at the duplex pulled out due to too much force exerted on them (I think it's also due to age and the screen door itself being made out of pressed wood).  The pre-existing holes were enlarged due to the tapping screws being forcefully pulled out.

I Macgyver-ed a quick fix by stuffing the holes with bits of some old socks I had lying around.  I then wrapped the screws in bits of plastic bag (kinda like how you'd wrap Teflon tape - I do have some but was too lazy to go searching for it) and screwed the piston back into the now filled holes.  Currently it's holding pretty dang good.  I think some epoxy or spackling paste on the socks would've worked good as well to completely seal it, but it's good for now.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9343 on: August 07, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »

Yup! That's one of my favorite MMM articles.
My fave!  I reread the article every few weeks to remind myself to avoid the lifestyle creep.

Groomed my dogs
Redeemed a free drink at Starbucks while hanging out with friends after a run
Packed lunch
Planning to hit a free yoga class at work today

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9344 on: August 07, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »
Bought some cheaper shaving gel for my DH. He is sceptic, but is OK with trying it out.

It turna out that our el cheapo dish washing soap does not work well. Unfortunately I bought 2 bottles at once, so we'll have to use it for some time ahead before I can buy the proper brand again.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #9345 on: August 09, 2017, 08:31:40 PM »
- Am on the hunt for a cheaper/non prescription option to fix/treat some incontinence in our lab.  She's young, and the vets options are either Proin or estrogen pills for the rest of her life.  I'm hoping I can find something else to use for as long as we can before going the estrogen route.  I found some supplements online and googled a coupon code before ordering.  Rather than 30.00 plus shipping, I paid 25.00 total.

- Commented on a facebook post/contest that our local pet store was having.  Turns out, I won!  25.00 gift card  :)   I see a half off bag of dog food in my future!

- Date night tonight was  BOGO mini custard concretes tonight.  Less than 4.00 for the date.

- Managed a super low grocery buy this week.  63.00.....our "budget" is to keep each week's groceries/hygiene under 100.00

- Found several items cheaper than normal because I happened to be in a different store than normal today.  Got some scrubbies, bleach discs for the toilets, toothbrushes, and vaseline super cheap!

- Cleaning out the cupboards and freezer, so we are eating yummy pork chops for dinner and large quantities of tuna salad sandwiches for the next couple of days lunches.  To avoid overdoing the grains, I'm putting my tuna salad on cucumber slices.  YUM!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9346 on: August 10, 2017, 01:00:01 AM »
Walked to work, for the second time this week.
Showered and washed my hair at work. Used shampoo and towel provided by work.
Brought my own lunch, as usual.

Yesterday I bought a new sports shirt and sports bra for half price, at the grocery store. Not sure whether that counts as saving, because I actually spent money. But on my last backpack trip in the mountains I noticed that my sports bra wasn't suited for that kind of trips, as it had some plastic things on the shoulder that hurt a lot while hiking. So I had to find something better. What I paid was a very good price for a sports bra.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9347 on: August 10, 2017, 02:37:50 AM »
Today at the grocery store it was possible to buy a gift card and receive a 10% discount so we did that.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9348 on: August 10, 2017, 06:09:47 AM »
Played pool for free because I cleaned the table! The tables are already pretty cheap though.

KaizenSoze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9349 on: August 10, 2017, 06:18:37 AM »
Put holds on a number of library books. Probably around $100 worth that I might have brought at some point.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!