Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020905 times)

Larabeth

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5600 on: February 16, 2016, 10:42:10 PM »
Bought six months worth of gas and got 35% back!!!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5601 on: February 17, 2016, 12:55:32 AM »
Looked at the (lack of) humidity in the house (immediate issue: dry skin, peeling lips, discomfort. Long-term issue: damage to the house and hardwood floors). Freaked out. Looked at the price of a humidifier that would actually add 3-4'gallons of water into the air to fix the issue. Found the cheapest one at 140$CAD plus regular filter changes, freaked out again.

And then I used my brain, fetched out an old cast iron pot, filled it with a gallon of water, and put it on top of the wood stove. And then re-filled it three times during the day.

Humidifier: accomplished.  aesthetically pleasing, no leaks, no electrical needs, no cost. fantastic.

Won't the cast iron rust from the water?

I don't know, but this is a classic technique for fighting the dryness that comes from radiator heat!

Not at a simmer. Just dump the water out if you take it off the stove and keep it seasoned.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5602 on: February 17, 2016, 07:29:17 AM »
Looked at the (lack of) humidity in the house (immediate issue: dry skin, peeling lips, discomfort. Long-term issue: damage to the house and hardwood floors). Freaked out. Looked at the price of a humidifier that would actually add 3-4'gallons of water into the air to fix the issue. Found the cheapest one at 140$CAD plus regular filter changes, freaked out again.

And then I used my brain, fetched out an old cast iron pot, filled it with a gallon of water, and put it on top of the wood stove. And then re-filled it three times during the day.

Humidifier: accomplished.  aesthetically pleasing, no leaks, no electrical needs, no cost. fantastic.

Won't the cast iron rust from the water?

I don't know, but this is a classic technique for fighting the dryness that comes from radiator heat!

Not at a simmer. Just dump the water out if you take it off the stove and keep it seasoned.

Basically that. Secondary advantage: if you toss a cinnamon stick and some orange peels in the water, the house smells AMAZING.

There are actually cast iron pots and kettles sold specifically as woodstove toppers (for 50-80$ each, wtf); apparently it's traditional. The advantage of cast iron is that if it boils dry the pot won't warp/melt/crack/be damaged. The down side is that you have to keep it seasoned or it'll rust (in which case you scrub the rust off and season it, and it'll be good as new).

Misstachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5603 on: February 17, 2016, 01:09:56 PM »
Someone put out a few leftover pizzas from a lunch meeting on the 'take this stuff' table at work. I'd already eaten lunch so I wrapped up a couple slices and took them home for dinner. More laziness than frugalness but hey, free pizza!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5604 on: February 17, 2016, 01:30:37 PM »
Someone put out a few leftover pizzas from a lunch meeting on the 'take this stuff' table at work. I'd already eaten lunch so I wrapped up a couple slices and took them home for dinner. More laziness than frugalness but hey, free pizza!

Just finished a free slice of communal leftover pizza--because I can't see pizza and not eat it on the spot. Already had lunch, but it means I won't need a snack this afternoon.

I saved $20 on my facepunch-worthy expensive barre class membership by religiously posting on their social media sites.

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #5605 on: February 18, 2016, 08:04:42 AM »

Want to share deets?  I'm intrigued.  :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5606 on: February 18, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »
* Filled a nearly empty jam jar with hot water, shook it, and then used the jam water to make my overnight oatmeal.

* Purchased maternity jeans used on eBay instead of buying new.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5607 on: February 18, 2016, 03:30:54 PM »
Last night I pushed back at the crabby drive-through pharmacy technician and told her that YES, I DID want her to rerun the script with my manufacturer coupon, costing me 20 minutes in a car with hungry, whiny kids but saving me $15.

Made homemade mac and cheese for tonight's dinner in the IP using leftover hunks of cheese (we do the wine and cheese thing quite a bit) from Aldi (Havarti, aged gouda, smoked gouda and parmesan).

ALSO made two kinds of homemade hummus using dehydrated chickpeas I'd cooked in the IP and frozen. The first kind was plain; the second, I threw in some leftover fire-roasted red peppers. It made three large containers. I *may* have nearly polished off one of the containers for lunch today at work ...

Last night I also finally got an overdue landline charge from two years ago disassociated from my email and cell account. The ex failed to pay it (account was in his name only but we used my email because all he had was a work email), so I *may* have helpfully provided his contact info so they can collect.

This is sort of spending money to save money, but today I got a discounted zoo membership through my employer for the whole family. It cost $70, but when we get bored during the year, instead of going to an expensive movie, etc., we can go to the zoo's IMAX for free or just wander the grounds. Educational and frugal.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5608 on: February 18, 2016, 03:47:46 PM »
I didn't spend any money today for the first time in awhile. I took my lunch to work for the fourth day in a row, and I had instant cappuccino and a mug on hand for breaks. I Skyped with one of my best friends in the evening and then walked in to town to attend compline.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5609 on: February 19, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »
Enjoying half of free burrito for lunch . . . the other half will be dinner.
Have not gone shopping for something to wear at formal-ish event tomorrow night - I will make do with what I have in my minimalist closet.
No money spent today.   

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #5610 on: February 19, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »

Basically that. Secondary advantage: if you toss a cinnamon stick and some orange peels in the water, the house smells AMAZING.

There are actually cast iron pots and kettles sold specifically as woodstove toppers (for 50-80$ each, wtf); apparently it's traditional. The advantage of cast iron is that if it boils dry the pot won't warp/melt/crack/be damaged. The down side is that you have to keep it seasoned or it'll rust (in which case you scrub the rust off and season it, and it'll be good as new).

I think I got my wood stove kettle for like $15 at tractor supply.  I just let it rust.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #5611 on: February 19, 2016, 03:22:54 PM »
I hung around after work on Friday for work drinks (free), then caught the bus home, resisting the urge to pay $25 for a taxi, one of my co-workers caught a taxi home, don't know how she does it, it would be $50 and I'm sure she does it every Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #5612 on: February 19, 2016, 06:57:24 PM »

Want to share deets?  I'm intrigued.  :)

Chase Freedom Card. 
I got $150 back by spending $500.  Plus gas is a 5% bonus this quarter.  It's fantastic: I won't have to buy gas again until August and probably even beyond that!!!  And when I do, the Shell station closest to my house has a bonus amount off each gallon of gas with their fuel rewards card. =)

I can have a referral email sent to you if you like, but I don't have a link.  You may also just be able to get the $150 cash back by applying for the card without my referral (I think I get $25 for referring?).

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5613 on: February 19, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »
Instead of going out for a more pricey supper tonight - we managed to make it a lunch date and I used my buy one get one restaurant coupon (good only from 1pm to 3pm) - saved $17.99.
Enough leftovers for two lunches tomorrow - just adding salad from the garden:)
plus a small supper for me tonight.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5614 on: February 20, 2016, 09:26:47 AM »
Got $20 of a purchase back as an Amazon gift card. Back story: found out about a genetic mutation I have through 23andMe over Christmas (marry christmas, here's disappointing test results! Also, your grandma lied to you about your ethnic heritage! But then, we kinda suspected that). Anyway, since DH and I have similar ethnic backgrounds for parts of our lineage (one specific area of one specific small country), and I have a mutation that is common for that tiny group of people, it seems prudent to get him tested as well, prior to the Making of Babies. So we bought 23andMe for him. We used my profile to link through the referral program to buy his test, so we got $20 back as an Amazon GC- which is great, since we use amazon heavily.

A little bit spending to save, but we had already decided to do it anyway, so it was a nice little bonus. Like $190 now instead of $210, IIRC.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5615 on: February 20, 2016, 09:28:52 AM »
Got $20 of a purchase back as an Amazon gift card. Back story: found out about a genetic mutation I have through 23andMe over Christmas (marry christmas, here's disappointing test results! Also, your grandma lied to you about your ethnic heritage! But then, we kinda suspected that). Anyway, since DH and I have similar ethnic backgrounds for parts of our lineage (one specific area of one specific small country), and I have a mutation that is common for that tiny group of people, it seems prudent to get him tested as well, prior to the Making of Babies. So we bought 23andMe for him. We used my profile to link through the referral program to buy his test, so we got $20 back as an Amazon GC- which is great, since we use amazon heavily.

A little bit spending to save, but we had already decided to do it anyway, so it was a nice little bonus. Like $190 now instead of $210, IIRC.

A friend's son married another Irish girl who looks SO MUCH like this mother and sisters that everyone in the family is convinced they are swimming in the, uhhh, shallower end of the gene pool.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5616 on: February 20, 2016, 09:53:55 AM »

A friend's son married another Irish girl who looks SO MUCH like this mother and sisters that everyone in the family is convinced they are swimming in the, uhhh, shallower end of the gene pool.

We actually look very different, and we're hoping the overlap is just geographical... I'm thinking the Germans got to his gene pool more than mine =P But when both family lines mention a specific castle near their natal villages, you worry a bit.

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #5617 on: February 21, 2016, 05:10:54 PM »
I realize some may still find fault with the "spend to save' logic I am using here, but the basic situation is that I know from past experience that an occasional trip to SB is something that our family does, and by purchasing the card in advance I was able to effectively save a bit of money off the face value of the card via savings applied elsewhere through the gas points and the cc rewards plan.  Works for me, YMMV.  I will also note that I DID resist the urge to buy one more card before the 4x points special ran out.  I stood in front of the display pondering it, but decided that would be tying too much money up in future Starbucks indulgences.

Saving money on things you intend to buy anyway is smart. This all sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

On a related note, my husband and I have officially cut the cable as of March 1st. I got Sling at $20/month to replace the cable. While I know a lot of people here don't watch any TV at all, we do as it helps curb the desire to go out. The net savings for cutting cable is $30/month.

I didn't spend any money today. That's not at all uncommon though; I think I have as many "buy nothing" days as I have "buy something" days. I may end up using my Amazon credit from participating in an online bulletin board to buy some essentials today or tomorrow. (In my world, eyeliner qualifies as an essential.) If anyone is interested in paid consumer research, Focus Forward is legit.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5618 on: February 21, 2016, 06:45:49 PM »
Needed new work shoes. Went to the outlet mall and got a paid of Merrel's for $32. Normally $100, they were marked down to $40, then on an additional clearance.

Saved the receipt for my 2016 taxes, since it's a work expense. Also found the receipts for some scrubs I bought a couple weeks ago and added them to the folder. Since realizing how easy taxes actually are, I decided staying on top of this is a good idea. Not a lot of savings to be had, but hey, every bit counts.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5619 on: February 21, 2016, 07:03:10 PM »
Made soup with leftovers from the fridge that were on their last legs. Made enough to freeze three large containers.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5620 on: February 21, 2016, 08:58:51 PM »
Went to my Amazon wishlist and saw two books I've been wanting for months still on there.  I selected used versions of them in "very good" condition for $.01 plus $4 each shipping.  With the $5 gift card I sometimes earn from online surveys these books ($60 new) are on their way for $3 total.  Used books on Amazon is a god send I discovered while buying textbooks for grad school.

EcoCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5621 on: February 21, 2016, 11:20:14 PM »
Ran out of morning coffee. Instead of buying new coffee I've opened up a bag of 'hotel teas' that family collected and will finish these before buying any coffee.... *twitch*

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #5622 on: February 22, 2016, 04:32:11 AM »
Ran out of morning coffee. Instead of buying new coffee I've opened up a bag of 'hotel teas' that family collected and will finish these before buying any coffee.... *twitch*

<<shudder>> you are stronger than I am EC!

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #5623 on: February 22, 2016, 07:14:50 AM »
I started a new job last week. This morning my BF and I tried carpooling for the first time; he dropped me off at work. Tomorrow, I'll drop him off at work and we'll see which route optimizes our time.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5624 on: February 22, 2016, 07:34:58 AM »

Nice, I recently ran out of coffee filters.

I've got a little bit of coffee beans left.

I unplugged the coffee maker and seriously considering trying to stop drinking coffee all together.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5625 on: February 22, 2016, 10:15:47 AM »

I unplugged the coffee maker and seriously considering trying to stop drinking coffee all together.

Y'all have my condolences ;)

Started seeds this weekend. Used leftover cardboard egg cartons and small pots I got on clearance last year.

Did not eat out this weekend. Made two pounds of black beans in the IP last night. Saved out two cups for a recipe I'm making later in the week, froze the rest.

Brought leftover homemade hummus to work for a snack. Will be taking advantage of employer-provide lunch today and there are always leftovers, so I'll probably scavenge some later.

Went to a tiny local bike shop this weekend and the owner plopped down a hybrid Schwinn for $120. Will go back to get it on Saturday. Yay! I'll have a bike!!! (This is technically spending money to save money, but whatevs.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5626 on: February 22, 2016, 10:20:31 AM »
Bought 12 cans of pumpkin puree on sale for $1.99/can. We give it to our dog in her food, and it can be very hard to find not around thanksgiving. If we do find it, it's usually in the $3.50-4.00/can range. So we stocked up on some, and will top up again in a couple months before the Albertson's stops its sale in May- assuming they still have stock.

I wash our sheets weekly, and have moved to only using soap every other wash. This is part frugal, part that I read it's supposed to be better for the fabric.

Got our annual rewards check from the costco AmEx.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #5627 on: February 22, 2016, 11:28:29 AM »

Paper towels work.

Save more by just pouring the gritty results through a fine strainer.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #5628 on: February 22, 2016, 01:12:07 PM »
I went to the thrift store today to drop off some e-waste and found a copy of the board game Edison & Co. for $1.99 which will be awesome for my board game group. I also found a brand new unopened outdoor toss/magnet game for another $1.99, great for when I host outdoor games days once a month in good weather. I have quite the collection of thrifted and homemade outdoor games. Makes for full day, cheap entertainment when I host 20-30 people at the park for potluck picnic and games.

I came to work an hour early to make a little extra money and catch up a bit after being sick. For the next four months (busiest time of year) I can work about 11 extra hours a week (or more) so I am going to take advantage of that to really push to pay off my last bit of debt and plump up the emergency fund.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5629 on: February 22, 2016, 02:00:58 PM »
I locked in a cheap rate on TaxAct a few months back (I have a little taxable investment income so I can't do free filing) and when I did my taxes this morning, it ended up finding an $87 deduction I didn't know about. So I paid $14 to get $87 and save myself some time and trouble. Good deal! :-)

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #5630 on: February 22, 2016, 02:06:39 PM »
I locked in a cheap rate on TaxAct a few months back (I have a little taxable investment income so I can't do free filing) and when I did my taxes this morning, it ended up finding an $87 deduction I didn't know about. So I paid $14 to get $87 and save myself some time and trouble. Good deal! :-)

Was it a credit or deduction? and which one, if I may ask?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5631 on: February 22, 2016, 02:13:39 PM »

A credit, not a deduction - my mistake. I think it's a NYC-only thing so not useful to most folks, but it is the Enhanced Real Property Tax Credit, which never would have occurred to me to look into since I rent.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5632 on: February 22, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »

A credit, not a deduction - my mistake. I think it's a NYC-only thing so not useful to most folks, but it is the Enhanced Real Property Tax Credit, which never would have occurred to me to look into since I rent.

Thanks for mentioning this! According to this we are eligible, so I will make sure we claim it.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/new_york_city_credits.htm

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5633 on: February 22, 2016, 03:19:18 PM »
Thanks for mentioning this! According to this we are eligible, so I will make sure we claim it.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/new_york_city_credits.htm

:-)  Hope you save some $$ with it! I don't know how they calculate the credit since I let TaxAct do it... I guess it's anywhere from $0 to $500 depending on factors unknown to me.

Bonus item: Two concerts I was hoping to see just came up as "free for members" in the next two weeks at a place where I got a half-price membership on Cyber Monday. $40 worth of tix.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5634 on: February 22, 2016, 04:35:32 PM »
Ate half a free Chiptole meal for dinner. I'll have the other half for lunch tomorrow.

Got free toothpaste at CVS. You should all get some too! Even if you aren't a regular couponer, this one takes 2 seconds and is worth doing:

http://hip2save.com/2016/02/21/new-21-colgate-toothpaste-coupon-free-toothpaste-at-cvs/

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5635 on: February 22, 2016, 08:42:16 PM »
I spent nothing today. Packed lunch, made coffee to go. Picked veg from the garden. Went to a free talk with a famous writer. Fun and all free.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #5636 on: February 23, 2016, 06:48:42 AM »
Mesh laundry bags are awesome in the dishwasher, too. You can wash cookie cutters in them, for instance!

Or Legos. Trust me, your Legos are really dirty.

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #5637 on: February 23, 2016, 07:44:18 AM »
Not today but this past week:

1. Bought CPAP machine I have been renting from supplier - saves €750 in 12 months and €104 per month thereafter but I bear the risk of breakdown (this risk expires after about 5 months as it will have saved its hire cost).
2. Sought redemption figure for mortgage from bank. Rate is low and almost equal to deposit rate so after savers' tax(DIRT here) and mortgage protection we will save €1,000 over the remainder of the 2.5 year term.
3. Paid junior's college fees with rewards credit card and will put the savings against electricity bill. Had to get cc limit increased to do this as Jan/Feb is heavy with car & house insurance and heating oil.
4. Brought Lidl purchased alcohol to hotel stay last weekend.

It all adds up.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5638 on: February 23, 2016, 09:55:30 AM »
Not today but this past week:

1. Bought CPAP machine I have been renting from supplier - saves €750 in 12 months and €104 per month thereafter but I bear the risk of breakdown (this risk expires after about 5 months as it will have saved its hire cost).
2. Sought redemption figure for mortgage from bank. Rate is low and almost equal to deposit rate so after savers' tax(DIRT here) and mortgage protection we will save €1,000 over the remainder of the 2.5 year term.
3. Paid junior's college fees with rewards credit card and will put the savings against electricity bill. Had to get cc limit increased to do this as Jan/Feb is heavy with car & house insurance and heating oil.
4. Brought Lidl purchased alcohol to hotel stay last weekend.

It all adds up.

My husband's CPAP hasn't broken once in 5 years of using it nightly. His is a ResMed brand and we bought it outright as well. We order supplies online from CPAP.com (may not be useful fr you in the EU, I know) and they are much cheaper than through the insurance company's suppliers.

pmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5639 on: February 23, 2016, 08:43:49 PM »
Feeling pretty good today.

Finished up first boil of sap from the three trees in our yard, ~2.5 cups syrup. Boiled over free pine wood.

DH noticed a neighbor around the corner was having a large maple tree taken down, asked if we could have the wood. Picked up 4 ranger truck loads!! Definitely need to send over some goodies for that. (wood stove heat)

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #5640 on: February 24, 2016, 03:16:48 AM »
 My husband's CPAP hasn't broken once in 5 years of using it nightly. His is a ResMed brand and we bought it outright as well. We order supplies online from CPAP.com (may not be useful fr you in the EU, I know) and they are much cheaper than through the insurance company's suppliers.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out. Fate is tempted now so fingers crossed I get at least 5 months out of it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5641 on: February 24, 2016, 09:25:06 AM »
I found a hole in my work jeans yesterday when I took them off.  I ordered another pair on eBay ($11 including shipping).  It took less time than if I purchased them new. 

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5642 on: February 24, 2016, 10:40:44 AM »
Brought leftovers to work today that are reaching their edible limit.

Moved some money around to avoid potential fees.

Will be combining trips this evening to lessen gas use.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5643 on: February 24, 2016, 12:00:56 PM »
Took a survey from my favorite salad place (which is actually a vending machine -- http://www.farmersfridge.com ) and they gave me a coupon for a free salad.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5644 on: February 24, 2016, 01:27:02 PM »
Brought both lunch and supper with me since we'll be here late, even though I really, really didn't want to.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5645 on: February 24, 2016, 01:51:10 PM »
Took a survey from my favorite salad place (which is actually a vending machine -- http://www.farmersfridge.com ) and they gave me a coupon for a free salad.

Those are such pretty salads! They make me want to eat one and I hate salad.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5646 on: February 24, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »

The amazing thing is they actually look that good in real life! And they restock every morning, so they're fresh too. But pretty facepunch-worthy at $8-9 a pop. I save the jars for taking my lunch to work, so maybe that makes up for it a tiny bit. They also have receptacles in the vending machines so you can recycle the jars if you don't want to reuse them.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5647 on: February 24, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »

Those look really good.  I have a dumb question re: jar salads - do you dump them out onto a plate to eat, or do you eat right out of the jar?  Seems like that would be kind of difficult and messy?

Bookmarked so I can make my own, thanks!

The amazing thing is they actually look that good in real life! And they restock every morning, so they're fresh too. But pretty facepunch-worthy at $8-9 a pop. I save the jars for taking my lunch to work, so maybe that makes up for it a tiny bit. They also have receptacles in the vending machines so you can recycle the jars if you don't want to reuse them.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #5648 on: February 24, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »
Spouse and I were able to ride to work together today! We are both shift workers (not at the same place) and our shifts are usually juuuust different enough that ride together isn't particularly feasible.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5649 on: February 24, 2016, 07:49:58 PM »
Those look really good.  I have a dumb question re: jar salads - do you dump them out onto a plate to eat, or do you eat right out of the jar?  Seems like that would be kind of difficult and messy?

You remove the little dressing container from the top, then dump onto a plate. The greens are always on the top so it comes out first and makes a nice bed for the rest. Sometimes they really cram those jars full, so sometimes you need to encourage the greens a bit.