Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020978 times)

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3600 on: June 20, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
Cold wash, line dry.  It unexpectedly drizzled but should be dry for the rest of the afternoon.

I recently stopped using fancy facial soap and facial products which saves money, reduces clutter, and ironically has made my skin healthier.  But, I have been having trouble getting sunscreen off with my regular glycerin bar soap.  Researched online and found that a microfiber cloth may help.  Instead of buying a microfiber cloth designed for beauty, I used the one we already had (cheap, from the auto section).  Worked like a charm.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3601 on: June 20, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »
Have been cultivating the cashier at the bin store every trip.  Today she called the 15 unrelated CDs a set and charged me $4 for all of them.  As she pointed out, "Better they get sold than go in the landfill."  It costs nothing to be pleasant to people and it can pay off big.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3602 on: June 20, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »
  It costs nothing to be pleasant to people and it can pay off big.

I agree! Not a money saving thing, but I was on a surgery cancellation list last year, and the receptionist called me when 8 people had declined the sudden opening. She remembered me and knew I would be thrilled to get my surgery done much, much sooner than scheduled (16 months earlier!).

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3603 on: June 21, 2015, 09:33:31 AM »
I agree with the being nice thing whole-heartedly. There is a coffee shop we go to fairly regularly for when we want inexpensive nights out without the kids. We regularly get free/discounted drinks because they know us. They also save stuff for us that is destined for the garbage, like display tins I had an interest in and even glassware items that were being tossed after a remodel. They know my frugal/scavenger ethic, so always ask when something interesting is being tossed, I guess! We try to reciprocate the kindness -- I've helped the college-age kids with homework, given rides home during thunderstorms, and bunches of other little things just to be nice.

As for frugal happenings this weekend:
* Painted the living room using free paint from the shelf at the dump transfer station. We tinted it ourselves to the lovely light blue-gray shade I wanted. We have enough to finish the rest of the upstairs, with some left over for future touchups (since we will never be able to reproduce the color). If you consider this, scavenge light colored paint and mix it all together in a big bucket. Keep like with like  (water based with water, oil with oil). You can tint it with any type of paint that is the same type - water or oil. We used acrylic craft paint. Stir well by hand, or use a drill-mounted paint stirrer.

* Made eggs and bacon for dinner instead of giving into the temptation of running out for takeout after a hard day's painting and furniture moving.

* Saturday morning, took younger to a friend's birthday party. Gift was a stack of Madlibs I had on hand (I scavenge pristine books at yard sales for future gift giving). Party was at a movie theater downtown. We arrived a bit early so I could park across the river in a free area before it filled up. Then, so I didn't have to pay upwards of $3 to park when I returned, plus the wasted gas and insurance costs of driving the 8 mile one-way trip twice more, I opted to sit in the food court at the attached mall and take advantage of the free wi-fi to get some things done. I even brought water and a few snacks to tide me over for the 2.5 hours of the party.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3604 on: June 21, 2015, 10:02:34 AM »
Husband is replacing rear bearings in my car (lots of postponed maintenance happening now that he's off for the summer). Meanwhile I'm working today so that I can take off tomorrow to go see his dad (mine's away on another vacation - yay for retired parents getting to do what they want and still being in good enough health to do it).

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3605 on: June 21, 2015, 10:21:09 AM »
Resisted urge for junkfood. Feeling really good about that. Instead, we are eating homemade risotto with snap peas and favas. Way better in taste, but I just get lazy somedays and fries seem soooo tempting then.

So, spent nothing, drove nowhere, picked some fruit out of the garden and found some items to sell again in the attic / shed.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3606 on: June 21, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
Tried to make Rice Krispie treats with some older marshmallows that had started to dry. WARNING -they don't melt!  They kind of puff up, but retain their form. I didn't want to waste them, so I mashed them and added some chocolate and poured it all into a buttered pan.

Marshmallow creme + chocolate chips heated in a microwave = tootsie rolls. This is a bit different, but I think it will pass for candy or at least be edible!

Had more marshmallows so made the originally planned treats too!

Tenlha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3607 on: June 21, 2015, 04:18:23 PM »
Walked to the grocery store. Reheated homemade lasagna and cooked brownies at the same time.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3608 on: June 21, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »
Took a bikram class with friends (we all bought a Groupon a few weeks ago).  Instead of going out for brunch, I had my friends over for a small brunch.  I didn't even have to buy any extra groceries. After brunch, we took a walk around the neighborhood while admiring my neighbors' beautiful landscaping.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3609 on: June 21, 2015, 06:24:34 PM »
Lost my swimsuit when I moved the stuff from my rental-house-during-a-contract in to my permanent abode. No, I don't know how I lost it. It is probably with the snowsuit I lost when I was nine, when I went to a friend's house to visit.

Did one last check through all my moved belongings. Decided not to drive into the city to buy one, but order one online instead. Ta-dah! Sears Canada was having a 60% off one-day only sale on swimsuits. Won't have it for a week and a half, because it goes to a rural delivery point, but I like the swimsuit!

The one I lost should show up any day now. Though the snowsuit never did.

The missing swimsuit showed up, the day after the new one arrived. It was behind some books on a bookshelf. (Sigh.) I think I set it on top of the books on the shelf when I was unpacking clothes from moving back from my contract, and one thing led to another. Seriously, it could have stayed there forever!

I'll return the new one on Tuesday, when the local agent re-opens. Fortunately, all the packaging is intact.

No sign of the snowsuit, though.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #3610 on: June 21, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
Returned some fancy noodles that I bought for a house guest that we never used and bought some  icecream instead. That will most definitely get used!

tvan

• Stubble
« Reply #3611 on: June 21, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »
Went to my first ever farmers market and purchased kale. Normally we purchase the huge bag of kale from Costco we can never eat it all before it goes bad.

Nancy

« Reply #3612 on: June 22, 2015, 05:09:58 AM »
Tvan, nice job saving money and food waste!

Yesterday, I made up a big batch of deodorant and laundry detergent with supplies I had on hand. I also patched my jeans.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3613 on: June 22, 2015, 09:56:28 AM »
Carpooled to work.

Packed my lunch, breakfast and snacks.  I've been feeling very "snack-y" at work, so I airpopped several cups of popcorn to bring in to work.  I tossed it with a bit of Old Bay seasoning.  I should have snacks for the week.

Brewed my tea at work.  I don't feel like this is a sacrifice because my loose leaf tea is a higher quality than anything I could buy premade (Starbucks, Peet's, etc.). 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3614 on: June 22, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »
Back from two weeks overseas (when I get a chance I will write a more in-depth post somewhere about the financials of our trip), and I'm happy to be back into frugal life. We didn't blow money by any means but there are more unknown costs when away from home.

Since getting back I have:

- cold washed, line dried all our clothes
- defrosted home-made taco meat/beans to avoid jet-lagged takeaway temptation
- made a batch of chicken and veggie soup to help combat the colds we picked up
- saved veggie scraps to make stock
- saw our doctor (bulk-billed under Australian Medicare, didn't cost us a cent - note, we do pay private health insurance, our local GP just happens to bulk bill)
- placed a big online order from Chemist Warehouse to stock up on soap, deoderant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. Free delivery and saved $75 compared with buying those items from the supermarket

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3615 on: June 22, 2015, 10:36:33 AM »
Brought a cheap lunch to work.  Normally eats out.

Made dinner from scratch at home, with stuff from the pantry and freezer.

Replaced the refill in a ball point pen.  That last point is kind of a pet peeve of mine - I just hate the waste of cheap pens that people get for free, use for five minutes and then lose.  OK, a  cheap plastic pen is perhaps a drop in the ocean compared to a clown-SUV but it's so unnecessary.  Get a decent pen, use it and don't lose it.  Is it that hard?  :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3616 on: June 22, 2015, 12:06:29 PM »
  Get a decent pen, use it and don't lose it.  Is it that hard?  :)

It is if you're a nurse! (Healthcare= pen thieves, all of them us)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3617 on: June 22, 2015, 02:14:08 PM »
Took my son for an orthodontics consult this morning. Previous son has just finished his braces and is in retainers now. I kind of half-jokingly asked if there was a bulk discount and they kind of chuckled and said, "We'll see what we can do." 

Not only did they give me last year's rates ($6100 instead of $6800) but they also knocked off $500 for our bulk discount ... haha! Never hurts to ask. The worst they could have said was "No."  Thankfully, our insurance will cover $3000 of it.

The hourly rate on that 5 second request is ridiculous!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #3618 on: June 22, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »
I had a no spend day and continued eating down the pantry.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3619 on: June 23, 2015, 10:32:35 AM »
Power outage at work today due to the tornadoes! Working From home. Saved 19miles of gas!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3620 on: June 23, 2015, 10:34:31 AM »
Made spicy dill chicken soup with leftover pickle juice.  Just the thing for my cold.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3621 on: June 23, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »
Made spicy dill chicken soup with leftover pickle juice.  Just the thing for my cold.

Recipe?

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3622 on: June 23, 2015, 07:16:56 PM »
Didn't spend any money today, and lunch was totally homegrown from potatoes, pumpkins, onions, beets and greens grown in the backyard.

Oh wait, I did spend a little money: Water meter inspector alerted us that we'd been tagged as having a possible leak but that he couldn't find anything. We try very hard to minimize water use in the home so I was surprised to hear this. I turned on the sprinklers (which usually run at 5 a.m. before we are up) and lo and behold two of them were totally spouting water. I went to our local Aquaflo store and picked up some new heads for $8.50. Assuming I manage to install them correctly, this should definitely save us on the water bill.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:34:57 PM by jengod »

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #3623 on: June 23, 2015, 10:00:10 PM »
catching up on last several days:
Friday; for Big Nite Out, went to free concert on the square downtown.  DW & I split a sandwich, chips & salad from deli (restaurant food is always more than one of us can eat), then walked a block away to catch the tail end of a different free concert.
Saturday: cooked big batch of breakfast burritos (sausage, taters, eggs, tomatoes, blk olives, cheese), ate one, froze about 8 others.  Yummy & filling breakfast for the next few weeks.  Did laundry & line dried.
Sunday: worked overtime, boo. Made money, yay.
Monday: 2 loads of laundry, line dried
Tuesday: spent time digging up & scanning docs for a mortgage refi to save $90/month for 15years.

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #3624 on: June 24, 2015, 09:22:49 AM »
Brought my own lunch as always and took some leftover fruit at work.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3625 on: June 24, 2015, 09:31:14 AM »
This morning, I finally got around to mowing , trimming, and edging our backyard, but I used our electric equipment, so it cost me nothing in energy costs due to our solar panels.  Then, I rode my bicycle 5.8 miles round trip to pick up some stuff at the store, which I purchased using gift cards someone gave me.  Total cost: $0.  I also have a loaf of bread baking in the bread machine which cost about 50 cents in sunk costs for materials and, of course, 0 cents for the electricity.  It's been a pretty good day so far.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3626 on: June 24, 2015, 09:33:55 AM »
Yesterday took a big ass latte drink in Pete's. Asked for two glass of water with it. Poured the water out on the nearby plant which looked H2O deprived. Split the big latte into two drinkable portions for me and my wife. Saved more than $2!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3627 on: June 24, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »
Australia doesn't have the same coupon opportunities as the US, but the two largest supermarkets do have loyalty programs.

My husband and I have loyalty cards with both, but I scan his at Woolworths because the supermarket points are then added to his Qantas Frequent Flyer balance.

The second bonus of this is that at last once a quarter, Woolworths emails me saying "we've missed you - here's a $10 voucher when you spend $30".

I received that email again this morning, so I will save $10 off our next shop. Happy days.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3628 on: June 24, 2015, 07:45:13 PM »
* Requested leather restorer/dye swatches to repair and refresh an old leather chair.

* Made salmon salad for dinner (canned salmon). Trying to rewire habits so when we get a hankering for sushi, we make tuna or salmon salad instead.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3629 on: June 24, 2015, 08:00:03 PM »
* Requested leather restorer/dye swatches to repair and refresh an old leather chair.

* Made salmon salad for dinner (canned salmon). Trying to rewire habits so when we get a hankering for sushi, we make tuna or salmon salad instead.

I do "lazy sushi". I make up tuna, then serve it with seaweed squares. You can put a little wasabi and/or sriracha on the roll and dip in soy sauce or tamari. Tuna price, sushi joy. No time spent making rice.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3630 on: June 24, 2015, 10:16:21 PM »
I've already posted for today but one more win.

I spent five minutes on my lunch break on a web chat with my telco. I had set up a special plan to avoid excessive roaming charges while overseas last week, but the company was 48 hours late activating that plan.

I asked for a discount off my bill, and they agreed to knock off $20. Win. :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3631 on: June 25, 2015, 12:36:42 AM »
I picked up a penny ($0.01) in the parking lot of the grocery store.

I picked thyme and sage from our herb bed for use in recipes.

I picked a zucchini from the back garden.

I collected and saved some California poppy seeds for use in the garden next year.

I poured out my French press rinse water and coffee grounds under a tree on the side yard that is not otherwise irrigated.

I listened to free podcasts while doing housework today and watched Jerry Seinfeld's free web series Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee tonight after the kids went to bed.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3632 on: June 25, 2015, 01:31:51 AM »
Used basil from my own little starter plants in pots to make Basil Feta Pasta Salad to a BBQ.

Didn't spend any money today. Cancel that -- just remembered that I bought my daughter some makeup as a thank you for all the house cleaning she did for me while I'm laid up with an injury.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3633 on: June 25, 2015, 04:39:49 AM »
Late night last night and was very tired and unorganised this morning. So no breakfast and no lunch prepared. I start work at 10:00 and most people go on lunch at 12:00, I go at 13:00. I planned to grab something from the little bistro we have downstairs (no proper canteen but they do decent snacks in the bistro) but the second I got in the questions and tasks started coming so I just grabbed two squares of the dark chocolate I have in my desk and got stuck in. At 11:56 I was really starting to get hungry though and was very tempted to go down to buy breakfast. But breakfast at 12:00 and lunch an hour later (and I would eat a lunch, too, I know) would be silly. Bad for my purse and very bad for my renewed attempts to lost weight and get fit. So, I just grabbed the somewhat wrinkly apple that has been sitting on my desk for over a week, cut out the bruised bit and ate that. It wasn't the nicest apple ever, bit mealy, really, but it totally hit the spot. A perfect appertiser before lunch and have saved the money I would have spent on buying snacks downstairs.

Edited to add: Also had a phone call from the bike shop a short while ago that my bike is ready to collect. I skidded on gravel and came off it pretty hard a couple of weeks ago and needed to get it checked out (will learn to do it myself one of these days but in the meantime). I brought it to a differenct place than normal. Inspection costs €38 and I took the opportunity to ask them to look at the rear brake, which has been sticking sometimes and also to move the front headlight, as I got a basket and wasn't able to mount it because the of the position of the headlight. Total cost is going to be €43 so the extra work is only costing my €5. That is significantly less than I would have been charged at the old place, so am really happy I took the chance on this new one. Very friendly and uncomplicated service as well - not always that easy to find in Germany!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:45:48 AM by Moonwaves »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3634 on: June 25, 2015, 09:27:08 AM »
Carpooled to work
Brewing my tea at work
Packing breakfast
Showering at the gym - Now especially awesome because I'm working at the gym as a trade for my membership
Snacks are fruit from a friend - Great to have friends with fruit trees!  Plums & apricots.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3635 on: June 25, 2015, 09:38:19 AM »
Joined the "Buy nothing" group that I will be in the region for when I move next week.

Signing the lease for the new place today- it will be $600 less per month than our current place.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3636 on: June 25, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »
Had a 7minute "Chat on phone" with xfinity asking for refund of the $9.50 late payment fees which was charged in May. The sales rep was awesome and helpful surprisingly and refunded the amount in under a minute! $9.50 added to my account :D

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3637 on: June 25, 2015, 12:39:56 PM »
I haven't bought any books in over a year because I switched to getting everything from the library, but I decided I needed to get a bicycle maintenance and repair book because I've been using my bicycle pretty extensively lately.  I looked on Barnes and Noble's website and discovered I still had a credit on my Nook account from a gift card someone gave me over a year ago, so I downloaded a pretty good e-book to my iPad Nook library.  Now I can have it as a reference and never had to return it to the library.  Total cost to me: $0.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3638 on: June 25, 2015, 01:55:38 PM »
bicycle maintenance and repair book
parktool.com and sheldonbrown.com are some great resources!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3639 on: June 25, 2015, 02:05:16 PM »
Biked to IKEA and purchased a LED lightbulb for my bed light.  :)

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3640 on: June 25, 2015, 02:38:52 PM »
I do "lazy sushi". I make up tuna, then serve it with seaweed squares. You can put a little wasabi and/or sriracha on the roll and dip in soy sauce or tamari. Tuna price, sushi joy. No time spent making rice.

Nice! Thanks, Bracken_Joy. Good idea. Reminds me a bit of making deconstructed (also rice-less) stuffed cabbage. (Saute meat, saute shredded cabbage, mix together with tomato sauce and seasonings, eat.)

Congrats on the less expensive lease, btw.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3641 on: June 25, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
Conversation with husband at 5.30am:

Him: Are you missing $10?
Me: ... no, why?
Him: There was $10 on the floor of the garage.
Me: *grabbed keys and walked downstairs in PJs and ugg boots*

Up $10 before breakfast. :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:39:54 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3642 on: June 25, 2015, 06:37:11 PM »
Free lunch at work today, brought my homemade lunch back home since I just happen to be going to a meeting with free lunch tomorrow, too.

Bought some marked-down local milk to try my hand at making yogurt for the first time.  So hopefully about $11 worth of yogurt for $3.50.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3643 on: June 25, 2015, 06:58:38 PM »
bicycle maintenance and repair book
parktool.com and sheldonbrown.com are some great resources!

Thanks for the websites!  Those seems really useful.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3644 on: June 25, 2015, 07:47:20 PM »
Collected four eggs, harvested three red peppers and put up lots of basil for winter.

Saved crimson clover seed for next year.

Watered the unirrigated fruit trees with rainwater saved from our last storm.

Used some samples I got for taking the "value tour" at our new Whole Foods.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3645 on: June 25, 2015, 09:05:03 PM »
Scored a free lamington when I had to visit another office during their morning tea.

A bad lamington is still pretty good. A good lamington is priceless.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3646 on: June 25, 2015, 09:20:22 PM »
Scored a free lamington when I had to visit another office during their morning tea.

A bad lamington is still pretty good. A good lamington is priceless.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamington

Had to look up lamington - mmmm, cake.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3647 on: June 26, 2015, 07:03:03 AM »
This wasn't something I *did* so much as DUMB LUCK, but my lease is up one month earlier than I thought! So only one month overlap with the new place, not two. (This would have very much NOT saved me money if I hadn't realized, and hadn't found a new place/put in notice LOL). Sometimes it's nice to be wrong!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3648 on: June 26, 2015, 07:29:46 AM »
Have a cold.  Blowing my nose on hankies I made out of an old flannel pillow case.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3649 on: June 26, 2015, 07:44:22 AM »
Managed to avoid a 50 mile round-trip to fetch something inconsequential.