Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020962 times)

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1100 on: July 21, 2014, 11:46:23 PM »
Made cold brew coffee. In one of the online recipes, they noted that they did a second extract using half the original volume of water.  It seems to work - I used the second extract for iced coffee tonight. Testing a third extract overnight tonight....

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1101 on: July 22, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »
I was planning to make meatloaf for dinner.  To stretch the beef I added oatmeal, but then I saw three wilted carrots and a zucchini in the fridge.  I shredded them with the fine side of my grater, sauteed them, and added them to the meatloaf.  It added about 1.5 cups of volume, some additional vegetables, and made use of some produce that was on the edge.  They really weren't noticeable by taste at all, and the meatloaf was super moist.   

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #1102 on: July 22, 2014, 09:58:33 AM »
Made a big pot of soup out of the garden and freezer yesterday.  Didn't buy a single thing!  Onions, carrots, celery already in fridge.  Peppers, tomatoes, and green beans from the garden.  Herbs from my mom's garden that she brought a couple weeks ago.  Leftover ham from the freezer, plus some beans I cooked a few weeks ago and ended up not using so I froze them. 

Yummy lunches this week!

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1103 on: July 22, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »
Scan Code of Practice - when a displayed price is lower than the till price you get $10 off or the item free. Most stores have a tiny sticker close by the tills advertising they do it.

Free Gallon of milk by checking my receipt! They were going to charge $5.09, it was on sale for $4.59. I also walked to the store and back, no gas used in the purchase.

thestudent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1104 on: July 22, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
I'm not the handiest guy in the world, so I had to have some contractors handle a few projects in my house that needed done ASAP.  However I did have them remove the bid for toilets ($300 for purch and install???)  and I handled all the paint myself.

The added bonus was sealing the bathroom fans with aluminum tape, the unit housing had so many holes it was actually sucking in more air from the attic than pulling from the bathroom. 

All told probably saved myself $1000.

welliamwallace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Trying to squeeze out those whiskers
« Reply #1105 on: July 24, 2014, 02:02:12 PM »
It's small, but 6 months ago I would have not expected it.
  • Biked to work
  • Packed a lunch

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1106 on: July 24, 2014, 02:53:06 PM »
We adopted a new cat a week ago and I scheduled the first vet visit today to have his eyes, ears, and skin checked out and give him a general check-up.  (Yeah, I know pets aren't strictly Mustachian, but they are a heck of a lot cheaper than having kids.)  I used a coupon for our regular veterinarian that came in a packet of other coupons in the mail, so the entire visit was free.  It saved us $82 and that included free nail clipping and ear cleaning.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1107 on: July 24, 2014, 07:45:07 PM »
We adopted a new cat a week ago and I scheduled the first vet visit today to have his eyes, ears, and skin checked out and give him a general check-up.  (Yeah, I know pets aren't strictly Mustachian, but they are a heck of a lot cheaper than having kids.)  I used a coupon for our regular veterinarian that came in a packet of other coupons in the mail, so the entire visit was free.  It saved us $82 and that included free nail clipping and ear cleaning.

And you have a new family member and unconditional love - priceless.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1108 on: July 24, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »

Our local animal humane society (not the national one..) has a big list of vets that will give your new cat/dog a full checkup for free within 2 weeks of adoption and give you drugs if they become sick, like with a respiratory problem, in that time.  If you adopt another furry friend, you might find a shelter with a similar program.  Kudos for your newest friend, and the free checkup!!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1109 on: July 24, 2014, 08:09:34 PM »
Did not go down off the mountain today, so no money (or fuel) spent.

I love that someone else understands and uses the same terminology as I do.  "Well, I've not been off the mountain since last week...."

Well, it's literal, in my case. :-) But yeah.

literal in mine as well. 

to save money today: ate leftovers

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1110 on: July 24, 2014, 08:27:25 PM »
Used the large number of cucumbers we have from the garden plus salt, water, garlic, and dill we have frozen from last year's garden to make four jars of naturally fermented garlic dill pickles for pretty close to free.   http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1014867/sour-pickles.html

OMG they are so good!   Similar to (but better than) the pricey Clausssen, and super easy to make.    They are so good, easy, and inexpensive that I think I'll keep making them with store bought cucs when our garden is finished.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1111 on: July 24, 2014, 09:14:26 PM »
Emily, you can stock the fridge with a few batches of those and they'll last a long time (unless you're eating a ton, of course!).  I've become a fermented pickle devotee too, and was surprised that the ones I made last summer stayed good in the fridge for almost a year (larger pickles in a 1/2 gallon jar).

I left work early today and harvested about 50# of potatoes, then planted some peas in their place.  Fed excess veggies to the chickens.  Fixed a broken shop broom.  Ate leftovers and homegrown produce.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1112 on: July 25, 2014, 12:42:24 AM »
Made dinner as planned (salmon already thawed) even though I was physically and mentally exhausted.  Did get my 2nd wind after a cup of tea in my rocking chair.  Hubby called from work and wanted me to order pizza for the large crew of teens we had coming over for dinner but I told him I was already well into the planned dinner and I could manage. He did the clean up .. sweet!

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #1113 on: July 25, 2014, 12:48:38 AM »
Made dinner as planned (salmon already thawed) even though I was physically and mentally exhausted.  Did get my 2nd wind after a cup of tea in my rocking chair.  Hubby called from work and wanted me to order pizza for the large crew of teens we had coming over for dinner but I told him I was already well into the planned dinner and I could manage. He did the clean up .. sweet!

Good work! I can definitely see myself caving in your situation.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1114 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:47 AM »
Thanks, Cressida!

Sadly, I often do cave, so this time, it felt great to be able to post a win on
"What small things did you do ... ?" :-))

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1115 on: July 25, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »
Ate from the freezer for dinner last night.  Brought leftovers to work for lunch today. 

I also carpooled instead of driving myself.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1116 on: July 25, 2014, 11:06:10 AM »
Cut up a bunch of apples from a friend's orchard.  I have enough in the freezer for 7 apple pies now, all for the price of a visit I took anyways to see my friend!

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
« Reply #1117 on: July 25, 2014, 06:27:42 PM »
Purchased cloth diapers for the bambino.  They will pay for themselves in just a few months and keep one less trash bag per week out of our local landfill :)

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1118 on: July 25, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »
Baby steps --
Ate breakfast at home (steel cut oats  I cooked over the weekend) and took lunch to work ( leftover homemade pizza, and brought my soda).  My goal this week is to stop eating out. Even though I typically do this cheaply, it is just unnecessary.  It is tempting to go out at lunch just to have a break from the office. But I can take a break with my home made lunch.

Update - still successfully avoiding eating out. And since I am essentially not taking a lunch break at work, I leave for home earlier.  Win-win.

Week three (and three, is a magic number) and still on track.  Yah!  I cook batches of food over the weekend.  Having this board is a way to stay accountable. I am also tracking all my expenses, so will have some comparison data.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1119 on: July 25, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »
Used the large number of cucumbers we have from the garden plus salt, water, garlic, and dill we have frozen from last year's garden to make four jars of naturally fermented garlic dill pickles for pretty close to free.   http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1014867/sour-pickles.html

OMG they are so good!   Similar to (but better than) the pricey Clausssen, and super easy to make.    They are so good, easy, and inexpensive that I think I'll keep making them with store bought cucs when our garden is finished.

Thanks for this, my SO is practically addicted to pickles!

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1120 on: July 25, 2014, 08:36:43 PM »
I cooked a bag of black beans and made veggie burgers.  Turned out very well. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1121 on: July 26, 2014, 04:04:30 PM »
Can you post the recipe?
Cut up a bunch of apples from a friend's orchard.  I have enough in the freezer for 7 apple pies now, all for the price of a visit I took anyways to see my friend!
Do you do any prep for freezing?

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #1122 on: July 26, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »
Can you post the recipe?

I'm also curious about these "freezer meals" and freezing fruit. Don't look at me sideways after I ask, but when you put these items in the freezer, what exactly do you do when you take them out? I.e do I need to let the apples or bananas just sit on the counter for a few hours? The frozen meals, is there a method to cooking them after theyve been frozen (oven vs microwave)?

I tried researching online about freezer meals but I keep just coming up with different meals that have been good to freeze. There's nothing about what todo when you actually decide to eat the freezer meal. I almost feel silly asking.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1123 on: July 26, 2014, 05:43:46 PM »
Can you post the recipe?

I'm also curious about these "freezer meals" and freezing fruit. Don't look at me sideways after I ask, but when you put these items in the freezer, what exactly do you do when you take them out? I.e do I need to let the apples or bananas just sit on the counter for a few hours? The frozen meals, is there a method to cooking them after theyve been frozen (oven vs microwave)?

I tried researching online about freezer meals but I keep just coming up with different meals that have been good to freeze. There's nothing about what todo when you actually decide to eat the freezer meal. I almost feel silly asking.

The easiest method is to stick the frozen meal in the refrigerator the night before you want to eat it, then heat however you'd normally heat it the next night (for me, that's usually the microwave). In practice, I very often forget, so the "defrost" setting on the microwave sees a lot of use. It heats slowly enough to thaw without crisping or even really heating up the outer edges that way if you do it by weight (I take an educated guess) or just do it a minute or two at a time. You'll fairly quickly get a sense of how long things take.

I tend to cook with frozen fruit like apples, so say I'm making a cobbler, I just put in the apples or whatever still frozen and check the cobbler at the end of the usual cook time, but figure it might not quite be done yet. For a pie, I cook the filling on the stove, anyway, so I just throw in frozen apples/ berries/ whatever and it maybe takes an extra minute or two. If you make anything like pork and apples in a crock pot, just throw the apples in frozen.

Frozen bananas most often become smoothies or 'ice cream' around here, so they go in the blender straight from the freezer. If I'm using something like frozen pumpkin purée in pasta sauce, I stick it in the fridge to thaw the night before if I remember, but otherwise I just put the frozen chunk in the sauce on the stove and it melts given a little time.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1124 on: July 26, 2014, 08:12:42 PM »
Sold my car!

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1125 on: July 26, 2014, 09:17:19 PM »
Can you post the recipe?

Didn't really use a recipe so I can't give you quantities...  but I boiled the black beans just until tender then drained them and then spread them on a cookie sheet and put in the oven for 20 minutes or so to dry them out some.  Then I chopped them a little.  I chopped a green pepper and 1/2 of an onion pretty fine. I used about a half a can of whole kernel corn and chopped that a little. Then I processed maybe a cup and a half of oatmeal to make it more like a flour than oatmeal.  I beat a large egg, then added the beans, oatmeal, pepper, onion, corn, some garlic powder and salt and pepper.  I pressed them into patties and  fried them in a non stick skillet with a little olive oil and added a little lowreys seasoning while they were cooking.  It made 10 veggie burgers.  I don't eat them myself, I made them for my daughter who is very picky and she said they were better than the ones she buys.  I read some recipes and people mostly complain that they can't get the burger to hold together.  I think drying the beans in the oven and using the  oatmeal and egg that did the trick for me.  I would use either one large egg or two smaller ones. 

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1126 on: July 26, 2014, 09:22:34 PM »
Today, I made some money selling tickets to a soccer game.  I have season tickets to the local Major League Soccer team, which more than paid for themselves already because I was able to use my season ticket holder status to get pre-sale for tickets to special events at the stadium which I then sold on StubHub for big profits.  I made enough money from scalping tickets to pay for my season tickets plus parking and gas to get to the stadium for the entire season.  I wasn't going to be able to make it to next week's game, so I just sold those on StubHub too and made even more money.  Cha-ching!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1127 on: July 26, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »
Spent the day cooking to restock the freezer with food (chicken taco bowl, beef stew, chicken curry).  I also used half the meat the recipes call for in order to stretch the most expensive ingredient. 

We also spent the day at home with quite a few walks with the dog. 

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #1128 on: July 27, 2014, 12:12:09 AM »
We've grown a garden now for 2 years. Both years we grew Kale. I've used it in salads only, and never used up even a small portion of what we grew. So today I FINALLY took the plunge and made kale chips. I just seasoned with light Johnny's seasoning salt. They were awesome! and now I think I might make a bigger dent in our kale this year.

We also grow rhubarb, only because it came with our house we bought 13 years ago and it is tenacious stuff. I found a strawberry/rhubarb quinoa pudding recipe and actually used that rhubard. It tastes awesome! Can't wait to share with folks later today:)

It is my goal to use up what we grow this year. I WILL look up recipes and make sure to use up as much as possible. We are still learning how much of each item to plant. We plant from seed.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1129 on: July 27, 2014, 02:13:27 AM »
Had another "don't cave" moment tonight ... was hot and tired and so badly wanted to order pizza, but instead had hubby bbq some fat Italian sausages I had thawed in the fridge, boiled some baby potatoes, and made some cheese sauce to pour over some left over macaroni noodles.  It was a fine dinner, and we enjoyed eating outside in the shade.  Not the healthiest dinner ever, but then neither is take out pizza!

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #1130 on: July 27, 2014, 02:43:28 PM »
Basically the only reason I have Facebook anymore is to utilize the yard sale groups for my area.

This weekend I've managed to not spend a single penny. Saturday night we went out to a restaurant with my brother. We had a gift card from the points racked up on my credit card. Then today I made some extra cash by selling one of our two ACs and a coat rack. Tomorrow the second AC and another personal item will be sold. Really happy that I signed joined the sale group.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1131 on: July 27, 2014, 08:14:10 PM »
I cleaned out the trunk of my car of all the crap that has accumulated over the last year or so.  Books, blankets, umbrellas, shoes, etc.  It should save me a few pennies on gas mileage.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1132 on: July 27, 2014, 08:28:22 PM »
Made a nice stir fry with the veggies that needed to be used up in the fridge. Used some Hoisin sauce that needed to be rediscovered. Cooked some rice in the rice cooker. It was a nice dinner and saved me money because I didn't have to throw out rotten vegetables.

somecobwebs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1133 on: July 27, 2014, 11:54:19 PM »
Took the bus instead of driving to a nearby park for field games with friends. I was dumbfounded by how EASY it was!! And the park, where I had never been, turned out to be really nice, so I will definitely be back there :)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1134 on: July 28, 2014, 03:21:45 AM »
Watched a YouTube video to learn how and then replaced the broken window regulator in my wife's car. Then face punched myself for paying for this simple procedure once before.

2bfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1135 on: July 28, 2014, 08:46:30 AM »
My prescription lenses needed changing. Rather than changing both frames and lens as I did in the past, I asked the lab to re-use my old frames. This morning I'm seeing much clearer and also saved some money!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1136 on: July 28, 2014, 09:07:20 AM »
I'm still in the habit of opening the doors and windows on cool mornings, like today, to cool down the house now so that the air conditioning won't have to work as much later.

Did this today too.  Opened up all the windows, turned on several fans before leaving for the stable at 5:30, then closed it all back up around 8 before leaving for work.  It isn't cooling off enough to open windows until early morning now, but a couple hours is better than nothing.

Packed my lunch, including some leftover pork that I honestly didn't like that much.  Hopefully the chimichurri sauce I poured over it will make it taste better.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1137 on: July 28, 2014, 09:10:33 AM »
Packed breakfast and lunch.  Carpooled.  Drinking iced tea that I made in bulk over the weekend.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1138 on: July 28, 2014, 11:05:10 AM »
Cup of tea at home instead of buying it at Starbucks (even though I wanted to).

Set a/c one degree higher than I usually do, and actually turned it off last night, as it cooled down outside quite a bit. Have never been conscious of a/c pre-MMM.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1139 on: July 28, 2014, 03:56:53 PM »
I can't eat wheat any more, which means no fruit crisps.  Can you share the recipe or the URL?  I love rhubarb, even though it is just the petiole of a leaf (sounds odd like that, eh? Like maple syrup is boiled tree sap).

What did I do today to save money?  Well, stayed home enjoying the cool house (cool and rainy outside) so no gas burned, tidied, did some spinning (future present for a friend), will have dinner out of the freezer and the garden.

We also grow rhubarb, only because it came with our house we bought 13 years ago and it is tenacious stuff. I found a strawberry/rhubarb quinoa pudding recipe and actually used that rhubard. It tastes awesome!

Wanderlusting

« Reply #1140 on: July 28, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »
I sold my old PC/Home Theater audio system! I didn't get as much money from it as I would've liked, but I also decided to price it to sell, with a set it an forget it mentality. Considering i've had the system for almost 10 years now, the fact that I got any money at all from it was impressive enough. It still works beautifully, so it's not some antiquated piece of equipment.

It might not be a small thing, but to me it's a mental stick in the mud that signifies i'm finally at a point where I don't need a TV and the accessory arms race that comes with owning one. That's the small victory I think, the mental one over the physical, but hey some extra money never hurt anyone.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1141 on: July 28, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »
Met with a lawyer to get new deeds drawn up combining our two plots of land. Will be short-term cost for a long-term gain stating next year, when we get the conservation easement in place.

somecobwebs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1142 on: July 29, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »
Another day of no AC!

Taped a cute note to the door reminding roomie to bring her lunch to work - which she did :)

Used clever coupon-ing to get hot sauce, mole base, AND my roomie's favorite corn muffins for a grand total of 47 cents :) Corn muffins may be frivolous, but they were a gift, and certainly not a pricey one ;p Yum! The hot sauce and mole should both last at LEAST 6 months, probably longer. Plus, they'll spice up the veggie soup we made from leftovers and super greens that were about to wilt - a big pot, much of which will be going in the freezer for emergency sick days!

Saved the cut-up veggie bits during soup-making, and stored them in a freezer bag instead of throwing them out. When we get enough, we'll make stock!

Oh - and I haven't driven my car in three days :D

Feeling very happy. But given the number of emoticons I just used, you can probably tell...

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1143 on: July 30, 2014, 03:50:02 AM »
DW had her first potato harvest this year. We're expecting about the same volume for the rest of it, not bad for 3sqft of planting

purplepants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journey - Purplepants' Journey From The 7th Circle of Hell
« Reply #1144 on: July 30, 2014, 08:10:59 AM »
Convinced DH not to purchase a new mower and fixed ours myself!

The mower is only about six months old, but he was so frustrated with how it's been stalling.  The carburetor just needed a good cleaning. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1145 on: July 30, 2014, 09:42:12 PM »
Made up 5 zip lock bags of brownie mix.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1146 on: July 31, 2014, 05:47:21 AM »
We just signed a sales contract on a house that will make my wife's commute 1 block and mine 7 blocks.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1147 on: July 31, 2014, 07:18:46 AM »
Made up 5 zip lock bags of brownie mix.
Can I have that recipe?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1148 on: July 31, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »
We just signed a sales contract on a house that will make my wife's commute 1 block and mine 7 blocks.
So jealous!

I packed my breakfast and my lunch.  I also packed a mason jar filled with iced tea brewed at home.

And I carpooled.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1149 on: July 31, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »
Made a thermos of coffee for work
Drank homebrewed Iced Tea instead of Soda.
Failed to make lunch, but instead of buying, ate a prepackaged meal I had at work