Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020680 times)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8450 on: March 07, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »
I have a steam mop that works fine except for one problem. The washable pads are held on to the bottom with velcro and the velcro stopped sticking after about 6 months. So every time I lifted the mop up to reposition I had to manually position it on the pad again.

I thought about adding ties but the top of the mop is dome-shaped so they would not stay on. Finally settled on a hole on each side of the pad and a bungie cord that hooks in to one hole, goes around the handle, and hooks in to the other hole on the other side of the pad. Had the bungie cord already so $0 fix vs. $60 replacement mop.

I love my steam mop, and it suddenly stopped working the other day.  I'm going to try to figure out if I can get it fixed, because I do not want to buy another one!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8451 on: March 07, 2017, 02:28:29 PM »
* Watered seedlings with water from our rain barrel.

* Ate a homegrown tangerine. Used homegrown potato, chard and thyme in a pot of minestrone soup. Made "potato skins" with the peelings to reduce food waste.

* Made and froze six batches of baby food, for a savings of at least $6.

* Bought a commission-free ETF, saving another $6.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8452 on: March 07, 2017, 11:29:43 PM »
Bringing leftover salad from yesterday's dinner to the office for lunch.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8453 on: March 08, 2017, 05:48:47 AM »
I have a couple gift cards I am unlikely to use. I did some research and decided to list them on Raise.com instead of selling to Cardpool since the payout will be a few dollars higher.

I had my husband stop at the grocery store on his way home from work last night to pick up a few things. He is way better than I am at going in and getting just what's on the list, so we saved the money I would have spent on an extra item or two, and the gas it would have taken me to drive there and back.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8454 on: March 08, 2017, 07:24:59 AM »
* Did a mystery shop while getting groceries.  I had to stop there anyway, and the extra money off my grocery bill doesn't hurt.

* Asked the library to purchase a book I want to read rather than buying it off Amazon.  9 times out of 10 they end up purchasing it, so this helps me and whoever else also gets to read it now that it's part of their collection.

* Bought birthday and wedding cards at the dollar tree.  They are just as nice as ones I can buy at any other store, and while I hate the thought of wasting money on a card, some occasions still call for one, so paying $0.50 is better than the $5 to $7 they all seem to be anywhere else.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8455 on: March 08, 2017, 11:08:19 AM »
I received some free coupons in the mail I sent away for. They are for products I don't buy a ton of but come in very handy when I am having guests over or going to a movie/games night.

For two minutes worth of effort I get for free (no purchase required) a case of 12 or 15 Pepsi brand cans of pop.  A 2 litre bottle of pop.  A bag each of Tostitos, Lays chips and a third variety of chips and one bottle of either juice or ice tea.

At the same time while in the grocery store the other day I collected a handful of different coupons for products I do buy. They are having a promotion for three charities, so not only do I save money I help some charities.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8456 on: March 08, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »
-Asked for a printer on my Buy Nothing Project group. Surpassed my expectations- older lady gave me a printer that was too high tech for her SIL and her, since it's wifi only. Copier/scanner/fax and prints up to 11"x17" which is awesome for DH's work. Full ink, too. Looked it up- it's over $200 new.

-Found what I can only assume was mis-labeled corned beef. All the other ones in the pile were $4.39/lb, and this one was $3.49/lb. Same product # and label and everything. Thanks Costco!

-Thawing steak from our 1/4 cow for my birthday dinner tonight. Will use my free starbucks birthday reward this weekend when we go hiking. Good birthday in my book!

-Switched to a knock of version of the bread we like... used to buy Dave's good seed but costco keeps spiking the price (it's like $8 for 2 loaves now!). A different local bread company has something they call "great seed" (lol), and it's only $4.99 for 2 loaves at costco right now.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8457 on: March 08, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »
-Asked for a printer on my Buy Nothing Project group. Surpassed my expectations- older lady gave me a printer that was too high tech for her SIL and her, since it's wifi only. Copier/scanner/fax and prints up to 11"x17" which is awesome for DH's work. Full ink, too. Looked it up- it's over $200 new.

-Found what I can only assume was mis-labeled corned beef. All the other ones in the pile were $4.39/lb, and this one was $3.49/lb. Same product # and label and everything. Thanks Costco!

-Thawing steak from our 1/4 cow for my birthday dinner tonight. Will use my free starbucks birthday reward this weekend when we go hiking. Good birthday in my book!

-Switched to a knock of version of the bread we like... used to buy Dave's good seed but costco keeps spiking the price (it's like $8 for 2 loaves now!). A different local bread company has something they call "great seed" (lol), and it's only $4.99 for 2 loaves at costco right now.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Bracken Joy - great finds!

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #8458 on: March 08, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »

Happy Birthday! Yes, steak dinner sounds awesome!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8459 on: March 08, 2017, 02:35:56 PM »
Doing a 'Buy Nothing Day' for International Women's Day. I forgot to pack a lunch and nearly decided to cave and buy a salad (I have a gift card so I was rationalizing that it's not *really* spending money...) but I managed to cobble together some salami, cheese, crackers and fruit and throw it in a bag on the way out the door this morning.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8460 on: March 08, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »
Fixed a portion of the roof gutters by replacing failed anchor nails with screws.

I suppose I saved a bit of loot by riding my bicycle to the home center rather than driving the short distance.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8461 on: March 08, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »
Not me, but husband. DH sweetly bought a bota box for my birthday... but didn't notice that it rang up at $28 =o instead of the $18 it should have been. When I saw it on Mint, I mentioned it, so he went and did a price fix. Would have been easy to not go back (right next to the high school, and school was just getting out!) but he went and took care of it =)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8462 on: March 08, 2017, 06:43:31 PM »
Not me, but husband. DH sweetly bought a bota box for my birthday... but didn't notice that it rang up at $28 =o instead of the $18 it should have been. When I saw it on Mint, I mentioned it, so he went and did a price fix. Would have been easy to not go back (right next to the high school, and school was just getting out!) but he went and took care of it =)

Town planning win. :D

I bought a Brita water jug on sale yesterday.

We already have one but my husband and I have given up juice, alcohol, soft drink, everything but water and milk, so our jug wasn't keeping up with demand. Now we'll have two on the go.

Saved $7 on the jug plus all the money we're saving by not drinking rubbish.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8463 on: March 08, 2017, 07:13:35 PM »
One of our leashes was just starting the unraveling phase on the handle stitching.  I used a bright blue thread to reinforce the handle portion.  I have one "puller", so I also stitched a line of the same bright blue thread just above the hook on the other end.  I can lengthen the life of my stitches even more if I remember to hook the older, better behaved dog to the already weakened leash...rather than the 3 year old Lab.....

Mended the hem of the husbands dress pants. 

Found husband a replacement polo at goodwill for 3.50!

Have chosen to do without several more processed, often expensive foodstuffs to save on money, space, health and waste packaging.  Most were "healthier" versions of a processed convenience food. Our budget has already shown a drop in costs!

Sold a book on ebay.

Arranged to take out a teen in my life during BOGO cones time at Culvers ;)

Will get a free dinner through my work on Sunday night.

Have plans to trade in some semi-valuable gold jewelry items for some cash.  They have only a small amount of sentimental value, but never get worn or even looked at.  The people matter -- the rings don't.

Grilled cheese for dinner after getting home late!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8464 on: March 08, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »
Returned store bought baby clothes. Despite them being adorable, and more than 50% off, they still cost way more than the used clothes I bought, and which I likely have way more than enough of.  If I don't have enough, I can find a new deal closer to when I actually need them and know what size/season I need better.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #8465 on: March 08, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »
Called insurance company to ask a few questions including what the new phrase on our car renewal meant exactly ("eco credit") and learned it has to do with driving less than 10,000 km per year and 15 km commute each day. I told them those numbers are both accurate, although I don't actually use it to commute, we only drive evenings or weekends. Apparently those were magic words and our premium went down $120!
Then I finally checked a gift card that had been languishing in a drawer for 2 years that I thought was used and could be cut up to be a duct tape holder.  Nope - it's $100. How did that go unspent for so long?!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8466 on: March 08, 2017, 10:12:04 PM »
Brought food from home on a work trip this week.

Reviewed the 5% cash back categories on my credit cards and found that I should be buying gas with my Discover card for the rest of the month, and if I decide to remodel the bathroom, will do so after April 1 when home improvement stores are in the 5% category.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8467 on: March 08, 2017, 10:21:18 PM »
Took the school van to go to a training that was held at the district office.  I hate driving the school van but it saved me half a tank of gas.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8468 on: March 08, 2017, 11:43:22 PM »
Bringing a left over prition of food to work for lunch again. Not sure if it's saving anything, though, because I didn't reducev the amount of bread I bring. But as it is a typical lunch-size portion, I'm nit sure when we would eat it at home.

Something that would help: When buying bread, I usually cut it into 2 daily portions and slice off 2 slices. Then I store all the daily portions in the freezer and 6 slices go together in a bag. What would help is cut all the bread into slices to make more precise cuts and being able to vary the amount of slices that I defrost.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8469 on: March 09, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »
Brought lunch.  Drinking water from my water bottle.  Drank coffee at home.  Got paid for a simple babysitting gig. 

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #8470 on: March 09, 2017, 09:17:56 AM »
My car's front blinker is busted.  Instead of bringing it in, I ordered a replacement part online for $20.  Now to see if I can install it myself...

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #8471 on: March 09, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
Re-booked my rental car and cancelled my previous reservation. I've been doing this all month. The price has dropped  from $220.92 to $203. Curious to see if the price will continue to drop before our trip starts in two weeks.

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #8472 on: March 09, 2017, 11:38:23 AM »
Yesterday I got a $100 check from my mom for my birthday. Today I deposited it in the bank and then bought $100 of VTSMX in our SEP IRA. Loving that I just reduced my 2016 taxable income.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8473 on: March 09, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »
Looked at fancy-ass baskets online--want some for storage in my new, unfurnished apartment. Hmmm, $60, $80, $129...but attractive. Went to Aldi's and grocery-shopped for the week, then went to the Dollar Store next door to Aldi and bought a great, big, artisanal-looking basket for $10. Looks great--like something I would have picked up on an expedition to some tribal outback place. Filled it up with household linens, thus freeing up shelf space for other things. Done.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8474 on: March 09, 2017, 06:01:23 PM »
Picked up free disposable nursing pads via my Buy Nothing group. I plan on primarily using cloth nursing pads, but I know there'll be times when disposable is a better option, and it's nice not to have to pay for them :-)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8475 on: March 09, 2017, 06:51:50 PM »
Picked up free disposable nursing pads via my Buy Nothing group. I plan on primarily using cloth nursing pads, but I know there'll be times when disposable is a better option, and it's nice not to have to pay for them :-)

Too funny- I picked up cloth ones from my buy nothing group yesterday! Apparently never used.  I have some disposables left from last pregnancy when I needed th before I had a chance to find cloth, so I'm also set for both types.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8476 on: March 09, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »

Too funny- I picked up cloth ones from my buy nothing group yesterday! Apparently never used.  I have some disposables left from last pregnancy when I needed th before I had a chance to find cloth, so I'm also set for both types.

Great minds ;-)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8477 on: March 10, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »
Going to install new rotors and pads today myself (with bf's assistance) because a shop quoted me $420 JUST FOR LABOR for 4 rotors+pads. And $77 EACH ROTOR. I got the whole set (rotors + pads) for less than what I would have paid for their shitty rotors, and I got a nice performance set too because it wasn't too much more. They may save money due to better heat dissipation and less warping issues, who knows.

Going to do this in a parking lot too. No excuses! If you're hesitating to do your own repairs, do the easy ones like brakes/rotors! I almost took the lazy way out until I realized how stupid that would have been.

Money saved today: $470+ even after buying a couple tools and lubricants needed for the job

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8478 on: March 10, 2017, 12:01:45 PM »
Going to install new rotors and pads today myself (with bf's assistance) because a shop quoted me $420 JUST FOR LABOR for 4 rotors+pads. And $77 EACH ROTOR. I got the whole set (rotors + pads) for less than what I would have paid for their shitty rotors, and I got a nice performance set too because it wasn't too much more. They may save money due to better heat dissipation and less warping issues, who knows.

Going to do this in a parking lot too. No excuses! If you're hesitating to do your own repairs, do the easy ones like brakes/rotors! I almost took the lazy way out until I realized how stupid that would have been.

Money saved today: $470+ even after buying a couple tools and lubricants needed for the job

You rock!

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #8479 on: March 10, 2017, 07:26:04 PM »
Way to go marielle!

Today I built a CD ladder with cash that is slated for college expenses. The rate topped out at 1.55% for the 2-year CD, which is better than the 0% it has been earning for too long. A thread on this forum kicked my ass into gear on that one. Also made my 2016 and 2017 tIRA contributions. Just need to remember to put that into mutual funds once the transaction settles.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8480 on: March 10, 2017, 09:08:46 PM »
Was invited to lunch by a friend.  We went out to eat last night.  I agreed to join him, but I made a salad and brought it with me to the sandwich place.  Social interaction and homemade food FTW!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8481 on: March 11, 2017, 01:17:38 AM »
So badly wanted to order in dinner after a busy day, but instead threw the chicken that's been defrosting in the oven, cooked up some mashed potatoes and steamed some broccoli and carrots.

Husband was going to go to the grocery store tomorrow to pick up an easy dinner for when his parents come to visit. Instead, I made a chili today and threw it all in the crockpot. Will pull it out of the fridge and heat on low all day. Also have some refrigerator bread to make into a crusty loaf of bread. Daughter is planning to make a banana cake with all the black bananas we have.

Shopped for a few things at the dollar store.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8482 on: March 11, 2017, 04:15:29 AM »
Forgot to take my lunch to work one day this week, and I resisted the temptation to buy lunch.  (I remembered MMM's funny post about "lift up your shirt and look down folks, and you'll see that your next meal is pre-installed", and I remembered how tough Linda from Norway was last week when she had no food at work.) 

Today I'm going to use up a ton of aging stuff in the fridge to pre-make a huge pot of stew and freeze it, so I'll have lunches for a week.   

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8483 on: March 11, 2017, 06:11:45 AM »
The big accomplishment of the week was replacing my Macbook display, which cracked when I tripped over the power cord. It was still sort of usable, but extremely annoying to have a 4 inch spider web shaped black area at the top, plus flickering lines running all across and down the screen.  Getting it fixed at a local store would have been something like $650, but I ordered a used display online for $200 which looks like new.  I had some setbacks installing it, as I didn't have the right size Pentalobe screwdriver (but found a tiny flathead which worked in most of the screws) and then one screw wouldn't come out so I had to go to the Apple Store where they "loosened" it for me as a courtesy... but I had to pay $3 for mall parking.

Then I had to find a window of time where my kids wouldn't disturb me while I took my laptop apart. But thanks to iFixit's excellent instructions, I now have crystal clear window to the world again!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8484 on: March 11, 2017, 08:40:49 AM »
I was looking at buying a fancy handmade kombucha crock from Etsy, but they couldn't do the glaze color I wanted.  Yesterday I found 2 gallon glass beverage dispensers at TJMaxx for $16.99.  I ended up buying two, which will actually improve my kombucha-making process over having a single crock.  Still need to buy stainless spigots to replace the cheap ones on the dispensers, but all in, it will still be almost $200 less than the Etsy crock, and more versatile.

Completed a $4 mail-in rebate this morning.

Planning to plant lots of veggie seeds in the garden this weekend, and clean up the front yard landscaping (not that I every hire someone else to do this).

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8485 on: March 11, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »
Cut my own hair this morning! :)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #8486 on: March 11, 2017, 09:59:55 AM »
Bought a 2nd hand kiddie seat for my bike so that our youngest son with DS can have some fun and strengthen his muscles at the same time. Saved about 45,-.

Also made a small detour on the way back, bought supplies at the big Chinese grocerer which is a lot cheaper than the smaller one in our city. We stocked up on the basics so no splurges :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8487 on: March 11, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
Staying at our mountain cabin. There is no shop anymore, so no temptations. We brought 30 liters of water from home. That is all the water we'll use the whole weekend with 2 people.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:28:23 AM by Linda_Norway »

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #8488 on: March 11, 2017, 11:08:46 AM »
The big accomplishment of the week was replacing my Macbook display, which cracked when I tripped over the power cord. It was still sort of usable, but extremely annoying to have a 4 inch spider web shaped black area at the top, plus flickering lines running all across and down the screen.  Getting it fixed at a local store would have been something like $650, but I ordered a used display online for $200 which looks like new.  I had some setbacks installing it, as I didn't have the right size Pentalobe screwdriver (but found a tiny flathead which worked in most of the screws) and then one screw wouldn't come out so I had to go to the Apple Store where they "loosened" it for me as a courtesy... but I had to pay $3 for mall parking.

Then I had to find a window of time where my kids wouldn't disturb me while I took my laptop apart. But thanks to iFixit's excellent instructions, I now have crystal clear window to the world again!

This is amazing! Broken electronic devices scare the heck out of me, but I will have to try iFixit the next time something breaks.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8489 on: March 11, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »
Forgot to take my lunch to work one day this week, and I resisted the temptation to buy lunch.  (I remembered MMM's funny post about "lift up your shirt and look down folks, and you'll see that your next meal is pre-installed", and I remembered how tough Linda from Norway was last week when she had no food at work.) 

Today I'm going to use up a ton of aging stuff in the fridge to pre-make a huge pot of stew and freeze it, so I'll have lunches for a week.   

I love it when we inspire each other around here, and I think it's great that you gave credit where credit is due!  I posted this elsewhere last night, but yesterday I realized that because my bills and spending have been lower so far this month than I'd expected (I only get paid once a month and I'm halfway between pay periods) that my budget isn't as tight as I'd thought it was.  But, I'm working on paying down debt.  So, inspired by a case study thread started by dashh, instead of loosening my budget, I went ahead and made an extra payment on my CC, which will reduce the interest slightly on my next bill.

This is amazing! Broken electronic devices scare the heck out of me, but I will have to try iFixit the next time something breaks. 

I am really hard on my laptops and phones, and have broken screens more than once.  For the phone, one time I paid $100 to get it replaced.  The second phone (my current one) the crack wasn't as big, and I have one of those plastic film screen protectors on it (which is helping to stop the crack from getting worse) so I have just kept using it.

But last year I dropped my fairly new work laptop and cracked the screen really badly.  I took the "Geek Squad" guy's word for it that it wouldn't be worth fixing due to the cost, and got my work to buy another one.  But I felt really bad about the church having to spend that money.  If anything like that happens again, I'm going to look into fixing it myself!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8490 on: March 11, 2017, 02:41:30 PM »
I didn't want to cook last night.  It was Friday, a busy day for both of us, but I  still managed some shrimp from frozen and some roasted sweet potatoes.  Although we did crack and use a coupon for buy one, get one free sundaes from the Culvers down the road...

Have stayed home so far today.  Saturdays are perfect for hibernating...

Was given some raw milk, veggies and fresh ginger from a friend who was going out of town.  So we have tried out ginger tea, and have lots of supplies for salads and milk for hot cocoa later!

Sold some scrap gold yesterday and deposited 80.00.  Also got our small tax return (a first for a couple years...diddn't expect it)  in our account and transferred it into savings.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8491 on: March 11, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »
Our grocery store has strawberries on sale that (even after hulled) cost less than I pay for frozen ones (I have a smoothie for dinner about 4 nights a week).

Bought 8 pounds of them, sliced them up and froze them for smoothies.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8492 on: March 11, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »
Our grocery store has strawberries on sale that (even after hulled) cost less than I pay for frozen ones (I have a smoothie for dinner about 4 nights a week).

Bought 8 pounds of them, sliced them up and froze them for smoothies.

I got them for 99¢ a quart (pound?) at Fareway this week. I love strawberries.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8493 on: March 11, 2017, 05:42:33 PM »
Cut my husband's hair.

I'm getting better at it, and his hairstyle - short on sides, longer on top - is fairly forgiving.

Saved $25.

He also opted out of an event that out of an event he was thinking quite seriously of doing.

Saved $3000+.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8494 on: March 11, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »
Made soup for the week.
Defrosted cornbread muffins to go with the soup.
Met up with friends, brought homemade biscotti, ate chocolate chip cookies and marshmallows made by a friend

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8495 on: March 12, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »
Returned a $200 baby monitor that was given to me as a gift and got Amazon credit.

Replaced it with a $10 monitor from a facebook sale site.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8496 on: March 12, 2017, 04:40:18 PM »
Returned a $200 baby monitor that was given to me as a gift and got Amazon credit.

That is a great score, Iowajes!  Sounds like you are getting close to your due date.  Congrats and good luck with everything.   :)

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #8497 on: March 12, 2017, 04:45:12 PM »

I used to be conflicted about returning or selling gifts; no longer.  I appreciate the sentiment, but the extreme cold weather mountain biking gloves that someone just gifted me are on ebay (and will probably sell for $60, considering they still have the tags.)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8498 on: March 12, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »

I used to be conflicted about returning or selling gifts; no longer.  I appreciate the sentiment, but the extreme cold weather mountain biking gloves that someone just gifted me are on ebay (and will probably sell for $60, considering they still have the tags.)

I have no qualms doing it with registry gifts.   I've never done it with "I picked this out specifically for you" gifts...

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8499 on: March 12, 2017, 10:36:35 PM »
* Gave both boys haircuts using our Wahl trimmer. Saved $30-$60 depending on the barbershop.

* Checked out an ebook from the library instead of paying $11 for a Kindle download.

* Made a smoothie using greens from the garden (broccoli leaf, chard, sorrel, nasturtium); read to the children from our stockpile of books; used reusable cloth diapers and washable DIY cloth wipes on the baby; line-dried a load of laundry.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!