Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021028 times)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5300 on: January 12, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
I just walked 2 miles in snowy 32* weather to pick up two library books that are required reading for a class I'm taking.  I still need a third book the library didn't have.  It's only $20 on Amazon but I have a few weeks to see if I can find an interlibrary loan copy.

I need a sketchbook/journal for another class.  I am binding up loose sketch paper I've had for years. 

These aren't expensive things, but right now I have more time than money.  The walk was invigorating and I enjoy book binding. There are so many secondary benefits to my cheapass choices.   

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5301 on: January 12, 2016, 01:40:49 PM »
1) Back to using the Sham-free method of hairwashing. Slipped back to shampoo use over Christmas. Its simply 1 T. baking soda in 1 C. of water. Works wonders on my hair and scalp (and husband and daughter too). 

What is 1 C. of water? I've been using bar soap for my hair, but I'd like to know your recipe. Is it really that simple?

1 tablespoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water.

Doesn't bar soap leave a residue on your hair?

I've often used dish soap! Tends to be more drying though (but I've had oily hair)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5302 on: January 12, 2016, 03:01:40 PM »
-Let my mom known a gift card hadn't arrived. She had told me on Christmas it was a gift incoming, and to keep an eye open for it. I told her it had never come, and she followed up and now I have a copy of the e-gift card. $25 to scrubs and beyond, here I come! Plus, I have a 10% off lifetime account to the store, and a 20% off coupon right now...

-Avoided going to a restaurant after snowshoeing even though we really, really, really wanted to. (Pizza after snow sports, it's just meant to be!)

winostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5303 on: January 12, 2016, 03:17:09 PM »
My sister gave me a super gift for Christmas - a Selk Bag. It is essentially a person shaped sleeping bag that you can walk around in, even outside I guess. Of course, I am using it to stay cozy when the heat is down inside the house. :) She did not understand why I was so thrilled.

Can't believe I happened to read this today!  My boyfriend got me one for Christmas, but everyone he told said that I would hate it, so he also bought me a Wii game.  At first, I admit, I was disappointed because the fabric is like the outside of a sleeping bag and I would have preferred something softer, at least for the inside lining.  I've tried it twice, though, and it's pretty easy to sink into your own quiet, warm cocoon.  It's also a cozy way to play video games lol

I don't know if it will save me money, though.  I have ended up wearing it when my boyfriend thinks the heat was on too high, so he turns down the thermostat and turns on the fan in the AC unit.  I'm usually able to convince him to turn the heat back on when we go to sleep, but it means the temperature inside does a few big shifts over the course of an evening.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5304 on: January 12, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »
Here are a couple I've done recently:

- started a new telecommuting job - plan to save a good amount on gas
- replaced a window regulator/motor on my Camry - this ended up costing around $20 for the part off ebay - it was originally $35~ I had $15 of free GCs that I got from something else. I had this same window worked on a few years ago by my mechanic (pre-MM and DIY-repair days) and it cost me around $200... :( never again

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5305 on: January 12, 2016, 04:33:18 PM »
1) Back to using the Sham-free method of hairwashing. Slipped back to shampoo use over Christmas. Its simply 1 T. baking soda in 1 C. of water. Works wonders on my hair and scalp (and husband and daughter too). 

What is 1 C. of water? I've been using bar soap for my hair, but I'd like to know your recipe. Is it really that simple?

1 tablespoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water.

Doesn't bar soap leave a residue on your hair?

I've often used dish soap! Tends to be more drying though (but I've had oily hair)

I also wash with baking soda--I prefer to use just a half-cup of water--but remember it is important to do a vinegar rinse (1T vinegar, white or apple cider, in 1C of water) or you will mess up the pH of your hair.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5306 on: January 12, 2016, 04:52:07 PM »
Paid off my surgery. After draining the HSA, we had a little under $500 left to pay. Used credit card to get the points (1% cash back), which will be paid off in full from our checking account when the bill comes in February. It's not the best money saving strategy (should've socked more in the HSA last year...) but it's not nothing!

Also: leftovers for lunch, making homemade mac n' cheese for dinner (leftovers for lunch tomorrow), despite the bitter, bitter cold I did not use my transit pass--instead I walked--to get to campus today, and scanned some chapters I will need for my project so I could turn in a library book before getting fined.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5307 on: January 12, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »
In my town, January is Fine Forgiveness Month at our library.  I asked for forgiveness, and my fines (a whopping $4.35) were cleared.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #5308 on: January 12, 2016, 06:40:16 PM »
I was kind of hungry at work but resisted the temptation to buy crappy food that I knew I'd eat and go "Why'd I eat that?" Instead I lasted until I got home and ate.

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #5309 on: January 12, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »
Harvested a nice deer this weekend.  Processor charges $50 to process the meat.  That's appx 60 pounds of meat for 50 bucks (no pun intended). 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #5310 on: January 12, 2016, 08:00:57 PM »
Accepted a job about a 5 minute drive from DH's job, we can carpool again!  And we will be using my car, which gets better gas mileage than his.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5311 on: January 12, 2016, 08:04:38 PM »
I had a fail today. I had odds and ends of vegetables, including cabbage, and I put them in the Instant Pot with some excellent chicken stock and cooked on the soup setting for 40 minutes. After releasing the pressure, I opened the pot to a distinctive cabbage smell. Not a problem. I added tomato paste and seasonings. Now I had cabbage tomato soup. I pureed it. I had what looked like tomato soup and smelled like cabbage. Poured myself a bowl. Did not taste bad. Until it started to repeat on me, which it did the entire afternoon. Note to self: cabbage tomato soup is not a good choice for me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5312 on: January 12, 2016, 08:13:52 PM »
I had a fail today. I had odds and ends of vegetables, including cabbage, and I put them in the Instant Pot with some excellent chicken stock and cooked on the soup setting for 40 minutes. After releasing the pressure, I opened the pot to a distinctive cabbage smell. Not a problem. I added tomato paste and seasonings. Now I had cabbage tomato soup. I pureed it. I had what looked like tomato soup and smelled like cabbage. Poured myself a bowl. Did not taste bad. Until it started to repeat on me, which it did the entire afternoon. Note to self: cabbage tomato soup is not a good choice for me.

No good! Sometimes, chasing the meal with a glass of milk will help tone it down.

DH and I recently had a similar- turns out, we are not cabbage soup people. Which is funny, since we LOVE it roasted, in stir fry, in curry, as a substitute for noodles, raw in salads... the list goes on. Just not in soup!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5313 on: January 13, 2016, 01:01:16 AM »

Sorry -- to clarify, its 1 Cup of water and 1 Tablespoon of baking soda. I triple it and it fits nicely in a large canning jar.  And the rinse I use (thanks for the reminder, frugalparagon) is 1 Cup of water and 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.

Its all quite wonderful and refreshing. The vinegar smell is gone by the time you step out of the shower, but if it really bothers you, you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil (I like lavender or patchouli).

Sooooo cheap and very effective. My husband has been using it for a year now and raves (and he's not into this kind of thing! haha). He even takes a hotel sized bottle of it and refills it before business trips. My daughter has been cured of her itchy scalp by using this method.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #5314 on: January 13, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
If you are willing to give cabbage soup another try, I absolutely love this recipe for "Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup":

Serves 8

1 pound lean ground beef (I used pork because it's cheaper)
1 teaspoon salt
1 large white onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 (14.5 ounce) cans of petite diced tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can tomatoe sauce
5 cups unsalted beef stock
4 cups chopped green cabbage
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cooked brown rice

Brown the meat over high heat in a large Dutch Oven. Add the salt as you are browning. Once the meat is browned, turn down the heat to medium, toss in the onions, garlic, paprika, and thyme. Toss to coat the meat and cook for about 5 minutes to soften the onions. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beef stock. Cook for about an hour, or until the beef is tender. Once the beef is tender, add the cabbage and cook until it is soft, about 35 minutes. Add the brown rice and serve.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5315 on: January 13, 2016, 06:33:30 AM »
Working from home today, and therefore had an extra hour at home before starting work (since I didn't have to drive to work OR drive my daughter to daycare, since my husband was handling that... ) In that hour:
- I reprogrammed the thermostat to 19C at night (because my toddler refuses to sleep under a blanket, it can't really go lower...), 15C during the day when we're not home (the insulation is good enough that it doesn't ever actually go down to 15), and 20C when we're home... instead of the always-21C my husband had set it at. Should show up nicely on our electric bill.
- Made a batch of face scrub from The Hands-On Home to use in the shower later
- I pitched an article to a publication I'd like to write for on a topic I'm super interested in and actively researching on my own time
- I committed to picking up two gorgeous brass table lamps that are for sale on our local FB group, for 5$ each. They don't work, but we have the skills and supplies to re-wire them, and they'll suit our living room really well!

... And I spent half an hour reading a book over my morning coffee, because leisure time is important and reading is fun.

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #5316 on: January 13, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
Brought my less than $1 lunch today - I had slipped into a bad habit of going out again.  Back on the wagon!

I do like to get out of the office for a half hour or so in the middle of the day, but today I will go for a walk outside instead, which is a double whammy - financial and physical fitness.

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
« Reply #5317 on: January 13, 2016, 07:13:39 AM »

Working from home today, and therefore had an extra hour at home before starting work (since I didn't have to drive to work OR drive my daughter to daycare, since my husband was handling that... ) In that hour:
- I reprogrammed the thermostat to 19C at night (because my toddler refuses to sleep under a blanket, it can't really go lower...), 15C during the day when we're not home (the insulation is good enough that it doesn't ever actually go down to 15), and 20C when we're home... instead of the always-21C my husband had set it at. Should show up nicely on our electric bill.
- I pitched an article to a publication I'd like to write for on a topic I'm super interested in and actively researching on my own time
- I committed to picking up two gorgeous brass table lamps that are for sale on our local FB group, for 5$ each. They don't work, but we have the skills and supplies to re-wire them, and they'll suit our living room really well!

... And I spent half an hour reading a book over my morning coffee, because leisure time is important and reading is fun.

That's awesome you pitched an article. I just started writing myself and am finding that I really enjoy it.

Do you mind sharing which publication? Topic? Have you ever done this before or is this your first time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5318 on: January 13, 2016, 07:20:30 AM »

That's awesome you pitched an article. I just started writing myself and am finding that I really enjoy it.

Do you mind sharing which publication? Topic? Have you ever done this before or is this your first time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bitch Magazine, on feminism and money and household labour. Gotta put that women's studies minor to use somehow, right? ;)

I've written articles for free before, but I'm starting to think that being paid would be nice. We'll see if it works. I enjoy researching and writing, so writing for free for publications I respect isn't the worst (And the free writing listed on my resume has gotten me actual real-life jobs, so... free has paid off, kinda), but I think I'd like to see some $ coming in as a direct result, not as an incidental.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:32:09 AM by Kitsune »

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5319 on: January 13, 2016, 07:30:30 AM »
I listed my car on Craigslist with nice photos this morning. I also provided a link to reviews of the make & model on Edmunds.com, which gave glowing reviews and listed much higher value estimates than the Kelly Blue Book. I priced it closer to the Kelly Blue Book value, so hopefully that will make it seem like a good deal. It's a reliable 12-year-old car with some damage and quirky old car things, but somebody's got to want it, right? Fingers crossed that it will go quickly and smoothly.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5320 on: January 13, 2016, 08:56:49 AM »
I remembered to put the pork in the crock pot for pulled pork dinner. And I remembered to take the rolls out of the freezer to thaw.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5321 on: January 13, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »
*  Sent another $66 to the credit card. 
*  Homemade lunch of rice and beans made in the Instant Pot
*  did an errand on my way to work this morning instead of making an extra trip/extra driving this afternoon
*  free yoga tonight

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5322 on: January 13, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »
"Survived" on snacks and drinks from my work drawer.
Reduced my phone bill by 20%.
And just made a steamed coconut milk latte (we are out of milk).
Also started an anti-procrastination journal, so if I'm trying to find entertainment I can check to see if something from there has been taken care of today.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5323 on: January 13, 2016, 11:31:40 AM »
 - I've shoveled snow, three times so far, and it is only 10:30
 - Talked to Downstairs tenants about leaving outside light on overnight (shared utilities)
 - Put in a bulk food order (Staples - way cheaper than local store)
 - Going to try my hand at making some healthy low-carb gluten free buns today. I'm skeptical but will save sanity (food variety) if not money since I don't buy specialty prepared gluten-free anything.
 - Entertainment tonight - meeting up with friends on Skype for a brainstorming game design session. Figured that learning how to create our own games is cheaper than buying them and more fun :)

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #5324 on: January 13, 2016, 04:10:31 PM »
Made chili in my Crock Pot last night. While opening cans I had yet another can opener break. Good thing I had my Leatherman with a can opener. I'd actually never used it before but it's surprisingly efficient and I don't think i'm going to waste money on another can opener.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5325 on: January 13, 2016, 06:12:03 PM »
Convinced Wells Fargo to waive the $10 service fee they hit me with yesterday.  And tomorrow I will go to the local branch and close the account.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5326 on: January 13, 2016, 06:32:59 PM »
* Replaced a burned-out 60W flood light with a 7W LED bulb.
* Found a free (nicer!) replacement for our damaged patio rug on the local Buy Nothing group.
* Picked up some reusable/washable cloth napkins and tablecloths from a Freecycler.
* Air-dried a load of laundry, saving $0.25.
* Saved a pineapple top in hopes of growing a new pineapple in 3 yrs.
* Watched PBS shows (Antiques Roadshow, Downton Abbey, Sherlock) online for free.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:12:53 PM by jengod »

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5327 on: January 14, 2016, 10:37:31 AM »
Been bringing lunch to work everyday in a thermos (except for one day having lunch with clients). I am glad I did not go down the frig in the office route. I now have hot lunch with 0 time/money wasted going out to lunch everyday.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5328 on: January 14, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »
Finished filling in the paperwork and mailing the required documents to get the tax return on our house (you can get a portion of the sales tax back if you're building a house worth less than 300K in Quebec.) It took about 5 hours to gather the paperwork and fill it out... but we're expecting about 10K back.

Best ROI for documentation work I've ever done. :) Now let's home the govt moves quickly on this...

NewMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5329 on: January 14, 2016, 04:18:34 PM »
I ordered new strings for my harp today and after getting a quote asked whether the string maker could use a cheaper shipping option - saved $3.00.

Instead of putting off buying a birthday gift until the last minute (previous M.O.), I planned ahead and used a gift card we received for Christmas to buy the gift.  Forward thinking/planning for the win!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5330 on: January 14, 2016, 10:10:30 PM »
After 4 months of weird eating habits (thanks, chemo!), my tastebuds are finally returning to normal. So lunch for me was a potato cut into cubes and boiled, plus natural yoghurt, and DH ate some leftover lentil bolognese (a bit freezer burnt, but hey, he ate it). Followed by some 70% Lindt chocolate bought on special and some sweet crispbread thingies that were a gift from my neighbour's partner. Total cost of my lunch was probably around $1 or less.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5331 on: January 14, 2016, 10:58:26 PM »
After 4 months of weird eating habits (thanks, chemo!), my tastebuds are finally returning to normal. So lunch for me was a potato cut into cubes and boiled, plus natural yoghurt, and DH ate some leftover lentil bolognese (a bit freezer burnt, but hey, he ate it). Followed by some 70% Lindt chocolate bought on special and some sweet crispbread thingies that were a gift from my neighbour's partner. Total cost of my lunch was probably around $1 or less.

SOOOO HAPPY TO HEAR YOU ARE FEELING BETTER. Hugs from an Internet stranger.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5332 on: January 14, 2016, 11:01:18 PM »

SOOOO HAPPY TO HEAR YOU ARE FEELING BETTER. Hugs from an Internet stranger.

Last week was when my tastebuds really started to switch back to semi-normal. I nearly cried with happiness when I drank my first cappucino since July (I weaned myself off coffee back in July/August because I did not want to develop a lifetime aversion to it) and again when I actually ate a normal proper meal that wasn't specially cooked for me.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #5333 on: January 15, 2016, 06:43:04 AM »
Tacos for dinner tonight, and we'll be an extra adult at the table because my mom is picking up the kids from daycare.  My first instinct was to defrost an extra package of ground pork, but instead I pulled out a can of black beans from the pantry.  $0.99 filler, and healthier to boot!

After years of nagging, I finally got through to my husband about how bad (financially and health-wise) his lunch buying habit is.  He's been packing his lunch 4 days/week for the past 2 weeks and I'm really proud of him.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5334 on: January 15, 2016, 08:02:40 AM »
I meal planned for hte weekend based on what's in the cupboard, fridge, and freezer (all bought on sale).

Tonight: pork souvlaki with homemade fresh pita and tzatziki, tomatoes, spinach, cucumbers, and red onions. (Veggies bought on sale last week, pork bought on sale from the freezer, tzatziki made from homemade yogurt). Should feed 4 with leftovers enough for a lunch for 3 people on a total ingredient cost of 10$
Tomorrow: Chicken marsala (mushrooms and chicken were both on sale last week...), on rice, with a spinach salad and balsamic vinaigrette. (Total cost: less than 10$, should feed 3+2 lunches)
Sunday: Butter chicken (with a lot of peas, because veggies are good and tasty in a curry sauce). Total cost: also less than 10$, should make dinner for 3 + 4 lunches

Breakfasts will be pancakes and waffles (pantry ingredients, negligible cost), lunches will probably be cheese and chive omelettes with homemade bread and a side salad of spinach (costco bag of spinach = 3 meals worth of salad for 3$, cheapest you can get around here in winter, and everyone likes it).

So: including all ingredients, I've got 3 days of food + 4 days of lunches for a family of 3 for 30$CAD, and it's gonna be GOOD. And even better: I don't have to pull on pants and go to the grocery store.

I win at life right now.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5335 on: January 15, 2016, 08:28:53 AM »
Stocked up on veggies at WinCo yesterday instead of hitting Natural Grocer or the co-op.  Stuck mostly to things that are in season and keep well, and conveniently, are also cheaper right now.  Beets for 98 cents a pound?  We'll eat beets and pee disturbing colors! 

If I follow Kitsune's lead and employ some good meal planning, I'm thinking we can make it the rest of the month without grocery shopping, with maybe the exception of a few fresh greens.

Checked the county landfill's website and discovered that the hazardous waste collection days that occur at the local fire station are on a monthly schedule, so I can be prepared next time.  Saves a trip all the way across the valley to the actual landfill to get rid of these things.

Renewed my Craigslist postings so the weekend warriors will see them and hopefully buy.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5336 on: January 15, 2016, 05:41:57 PM »
Found out my car battery died (again) today. Tried salvaging it with a NOCO charger but no-go (just recalled the original way I revived it was by attaching jumpstarter to it for 10-15 mins and then hooking the NOCO up....ah well). Anyway, I figured enough was enough and dug my receipt out from Oreilly Auto. Turns out my 36mo free exchange warranty ended THIS month. So I called Oreilly and the guy just told me to bring it in (I thought I was late by several days but he said it's always by the month). I stopped by and the guy tested it and said it needed to be charged. I told him I tried that so he went to the back and pulled another of the same battery out, took my receipt and entered in some info, and then off I went with a new battery at zero cost. Sweet!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5337 on: January 15, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »
^^^ Sweet deal - free battery ^^^

Well, my ongoing decluttering project paid off - discovered $12.06 in an old account and then stumbled across $90.03 that my old credit union sent to unclaimed property with address unknown WTF?
Filled out the claim form and mailed it off.

Been harvesting and cooking with the bounty from our fall garden - this is Florida, it was 74 degrees today:)

Resisted buying a single thing during gem week on TV shopping - one more hour to go in the finale, wish me strength:)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #5338 on: January 15, 2016, 07:50:40 PM »
Started Kondoizing my bookcase and found 3 sets of guitar strings I didn't know I had.

Got a deal on some food of faraway lands and shared it with a student from those lands. No savings, but good karma.

Made supper soup from stuff on hand (chicken & stock, chipotle, rice, chick peas, fenugreek sprouts, lime juice). Turned out tasty enough that I'll make it again even if I don't have to.

Turned down the heat early, and am internetting from under a quilt.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #5339 on: January 16, 2016, 12:00:49 PM »
My mid 2010 MacBook Pro has had a failing trackpad for some time - it doesn't click anymore, and I was considering taking it in to the Apple store for replacement. I don't have enough in the budget for the repair, so I had been holding off.

I remembered I had an Apple magic mouse in the cupboard that I had used with a mac mini I no longer have, so I dug it out and reprogrammed it to work with the laptop. Using the mouse instead of getting the laptop repaired for now.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5340 on: January 16, 2016, 12:19:35 PM »
Found my dog's food has been added to amazon subscribe and save. 15% off, will save me $4.50 per ~6 weeks.

Found seaweed snack packs at Grocery Outlet. I use them for work day. Regular store, ~$0.75/per. Amazon subscribe and save (I was doing before): $0.52 per. GO: $0.33 per. Score. Picked up 6 of them, if I like the taste, I'll go back next week and see if they're still there.

NewMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5341 on: January 16, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »
Started using Ibotta and redeemed my first rebate - earned .25 on bell peppers and a $10 welcome bonus!

Subscribed to the wipes that my toddler uses at Target and saved 5% + free shipping. 

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #5342 on: January 16, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
Wired leftover lunch combo at lunch yesterday. Consider it a free lunch because before I might have throw. Out the small bits left of mashed potato and fried rice.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5343 on: January 16, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »
Mended a pocket oh DH's hunting pants. Also finished a seam on a shirt Brother got for free. The machine missed the path and didn't catch one side, so I just redid that part of the seam. Did both by hand, and I listened to a podcast as I worked. Really enjoyed it!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5344 on: January 16, 2016, 03:02:58 PM »
a kind person on here helped me realize I only needed to spend $8 to get my iPhone to work through my car's speakers.  Everything else I read about was over $45. I'm glad I asked

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #5345 on: January 16, 2016, 07:15:14 PM »
Convinced my wife that spending so much money on restaurant and convenience meals every weekend is not good, after she asked me if I had planned anything special for dinner while watching the game (Danger, Will Robinson!) I said maybe nachos. She was scheming planning to take our daughter out to dinner, and instead conned her mother into paying invited her mother to dinner. It's really a slog trying to wean the family off of the lifestyle inflation of the past few years, but I'll take it as a small victory.

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #5346 on: January 16, 2016, 08:45:16 PM »
Went to Lowe's and bought 4 carriage bolts and 4 locknuts for my snowthrower for about $0.90.  The Sear's parts website wanted about $25.

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #5347 on: January 16, 2016, 09:53:04 PM »

Bitch Magazine, on feminism and money and household labour. Gotta put that women's studies minor to use somehow, right? ;)

I've written articles for free before, but I'm starting to think that being paid would be nice. We'll see if it works. I enjoy researching and writing, so writing for free for publications I respect isn't the worst (And the free writing listed on my resume has gotten me actual real-life jobs, so... free has paid off, kinda), but I think I'd like to see some $ coming in as a direct result, not as an incidental.
[/quote]

Where did you get your start in writing? I like to write and have some professional experience in research and writing, but I've never published an article. We have at least two common areas of interest, frugality and feminism, so perhaps you could recommend some sites to consider. (My other topics of choice include thrifting, politics, satire and advice.) I had thought about pitching to xojane.com but their content quality has deteriorated significantly in the past few years. While I'm no longer constrained by the nature of my work to not publish anything, I still have to give some consideration to mainstream standards of respectability.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5348 on: January 17, 2016, 08:38:54 AM »

Where did you get your start in writing? I like to write and have some professional experience in research and writing, but I've never published an article. We have at least two common areas of interest, frugality and feminism, so perhaps you could recommend some sites to consider. (My other topics of choice include thrifting, politics, satire and advice.) I had thought about pitching to xojane.com but their content quality has deteriorated significantly in the past few years. While I'm no longer constrained by the nature of my work to not publish anything, I still have to give some consideration to mainstream standards of respectability.
[/quote]

Try smaller blogs that you read and have open publications (thefinancialdiet off the top of my head, or a lot of feminist sites are run by volunteers). Once you've got a few articles 'published', you're a 'published writer who has written multiple articles for X, y, z publications', so you pitch to better (aka: able to pay) places. Honestly, I'd recommend that you write for places you like to read.

I haven't actually gotten paid for my writing, so take that advice with a grain of salt, but I've listed my writing on my resume, and it's been brought up as a point of interest in interviews (and I've gotten offers - some good, some less good - from interviewers that have mentioned them) so overall I think the time invested has been at least helpful for my day job, if not profitable in and of itself.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5349 on: January 17, 2016, 09:55:06 PM »
Hosted brunch at our house and did most of the cooking. Friends kicked in $5 each, everyone got stuffed and had mimosas. We spent nearly nothing (net) and are stocked with leftovers.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!