Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020898 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2450 on: February 10, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »
Drank the coffee I brought with me, instead of succumbing to peer pressure to go to Starbucks.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #2451 on: February 10, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »
Today is the 3rd day of bringing old canned soup to work for dinner. I also brought breakfast, lunch, snacks, and coffee from home.

Yesterday I received a class action check from Sprint so that's going to be deposited into savings.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #2452 on: February 10, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »
I'm knitting a pair of socks from yarn I've had for probably 8 years. I have been a knitter since I was 7 years old, and I also sew, and I've wanted to know how to knit socks for a long time. This is my first pair, and if they turn out well, it will be one less garment item I am dependent on Chinese imports for. I already sew most of my clothes or find them at thrift stores. The one pair of jeans I own are US made, designed and grown.

I'm using the instructions from Stephanie Pearl McPhee's Knitting Rules book.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2453 on: February 10, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »
*  Just did the paperwork to authorize HR to allocate another 3% of my paycheck to retirement savings.  Should have done this a long time ago, but . . . moving forward :)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2454 on: February 10, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
Thought about stopping for lunch while running errands.  Ate a 10/$1.00 rice crispy snack out of the trunk instead. 

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #2455 on: February 10, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »
Brought a lunch today, but my work had leftover pita chips, hummus, fruit and cheese from someone else's morning meeting out in our employee cafe. Ate that for lunch instead, and will save my already made lunch for tomorrow! Love a free meal :)

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2456 on: February 10, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »
-Found a place 10 minutes from my house where I can swim laps for free
-Switched from Verizon to T-Mobile
-I've been cooking in batches and eating leftovers all month
-Picked up a prepaid target red card, going to see if I can pay my mortgage with it
-Opened up a Chase Freedom account for $100 bonus
-Selling random crap on eBay and Amazon
-Got rid of comprehensive car insurance, cut premium by over 50%

Okay this wasn't all today but the last few weeks - I've been on a roll!  Thanks for the inspiration!

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2457 on: February 10, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »
I'm knitting a pair of socks from yarn I've had for probably 8 years. I have been a knitter since I was 7 years old, and I also sew, and I've wanted to know how to knit socks for a long time. This is my first pair, and if they turn out well, it will be one less garment item I am dependent on Chinese imports for. I already sew most of my clothes or find them at thrift stores. The one pair of jeans I own are US made, designed and grown.

I'm using the instructions from Stephanie Pearl McPhee's Knitting Rules book.

Socks are awesome. They are so efficient (one skein is a whole garment!) and have so many options (cabling! lace!) and they are super portable if you like to bring knitting with you places. Also, you can darn your homemade socks forever.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #2458 on: February 10, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »
Signed up to have another 1% added to my 401k contribution.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2459 on: February 10, 2015, 05:27:53 PM »
-Found a place 10 minutes from my house where I can swim laps for free
-Switched from Verizon to T-Mobile
-I've been cooking in batches and eating leftovers all month
-Picked up a prepaid target red card, going to see if I can pay my mortgage with it
-Opened up a Chase Freedom account for $100 bonus
-Selling random crap on eBay and Amazon
-Got rid of comprehensive car insurance, cut premium by over 50%

Okay this wasn't all today but the last few weeks - I've been on a roll!  Thanks for the inspiration!

LOL
As I was reading your list I thought "Wow, such a productive day!" I don't feel like such a slacker now that I read the last sentence :p
Great work.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #2460 on: February 10, 2015, 06:56:39 PM »
I don't have a snow-blower, but am one of the few people in my neighborhood that clears the driveway and sidewalks using a shovel.  This winter, it's been easy.  Last year, I had banks along both sides of the drive that were over my head in height.  All done with my trusty shovel, plus a little sweat equity.  I smile everytime I see people struggling with their snowblowers, especially when we only have like 3 inches of snow. 

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2461 on: February 10, 2015, 07:40:01 PM »
I don't have a snow-blower, but am one of the few people in my neighborhood that clears the driveway and sidewalks using a shovel.  This winter, it's been easy.  Last year, I had banks along both sides of the drive that were over my head in height.  All done with my trusty shovel, plus a little sweat equity.  I smile everytime I see people struggling with their snowblowers, especially when we only have like 3 inches of snow.

Yay +1 for shoveling!

I live in CT ...we've been shoveling 3x a week for the last 3 weeks and my yard currently has 4' of snow in it; it's getting to the point that I can't throw the snow any higher than the banks along the driveway.  Every time it snows, it absolutely sucks for the next day or two, and I go "goddamnit I'm getting a freaking snowblower!" and then the day after we're done shoveling and I'm not that sore and not that tired, I go, "well, we can make it through one more storm..."

But DH's family is from WI and I know how rough of a winter you guys had last year (his mom's pipes froze despite all heat sources going full blast -- they used a portapotty for months!! I can't even imagine!) so I guess I can suck it up ;)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2462 on: February 10, 2015, 08:41:48 PM »
I looked up what the cheapest gas on my route from work to home would be by using gasbuddy.com. I found this one place along the way and have been going to it for the past few weeks. The price of gas at this station is easily $0.50 cheaper per gallon than the average place along the way.

But today it was even better! The credit card reader at the pump was broken. So I went inside and gave my card. Then when I came back to collect my card and pay for the tank of gas, the attendant totally messed up the transaction because he thought it was cash instead of credit and couldn't get the register to backtrack. He called his manager a few times, I waited about 15 minutes, and still he couldn't get it to work. He couldn't accept cash now for that transaction.

So he asked me to leave my name and number and the credit card info so they could work it out. I nixed leaving my credit card info and told him I wouldn't just leave that laying around there. I told him I could return tomorrow to pay for it once his manager calls me. But for now, free gas!

Dee 72013

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2463 on: February 10, 2015, 10:54:33 PM »
 Hubby asked if I wanted him to make reservations somewhere for Valentine's day or what did I want to do to celebrate and between the two of us we came up with a morning/afternoon hike, Valentine's day dinner at home consisting of a heart shaped pizza and bottle of wine followed by a cheesy Valentine romance on tv and a bubble bath. So maybe $20 bucks for the pizza since we have wine chilling in fridge, this beats spending a Benjamin on a night out :)

ryanthequark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2464 on: February 10, 2015, 11:45:31 PM »
Rather than going out for Indian food (a weakness) I made a delicious coriander curry. Scrumptious!

ryanthequark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2465 on: February 10, 2015, 11:48:38 PM »
Oh, also, got a bill from the hospital for my portion of an er visit (from a bicycle accident with a hit-and-run driver). Since I'm low income, I'm seeing if I qualify for their low-income forgiveness program.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2466 on: February 11, 2015, 03:28:58 AM »
Found out I could get a 25% discount on my train fares by signing up for automatic top ups on my payment card. Promptly applied for automatic top-ups. It should save us about $35/month.

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2467 on: February 11, 2015, 06:01:58 AM »
Made a big batch of laundry detergent. Ate the frozen taco stew leftovers from a few weeks ago (so good).

I've been thinking about making laundry detergent.  Would you share how you do it and what it costs? 

Nancy

« Reply #2468 on: February 11, 2015, 06:14:29 AM »
I use the powder recipe below. I grate my fels naptha soap much finer than their picture. They have a cost breakdown on page 3. Enjoy!
http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-laundry-detergent-soap/ 

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2469 on: February 11, 2015, 06:26:40 AM »
Learned a lesson this week.  When you order something on PayPal, especially one that recurs, the merchant can set up a recurring payment on your PayPal account.  I didn't know this.  One merchant alone had set up five recurring payment schedules.  This was ok until I cancelled my account totally on the phone in January.  Saturday I noticed another charge from this merchant that I didn't expect or authorize.  Complaint to the company said that because it was an "authorized recurring payment" I wouldn't get a refund.  Filed a complaint with PayPal stating the problems (took out the payment a month early, for one).  Today PayPal send the resolution that I would be getting a refund!

They also sent a step-by-step method on how to remove pre-authorized payments.  The email step-by-step method was wrong from the first line.  Had to figure things out myself, but learned that I had 13 pre-authorized payments with various merchants.  I don't have a clue how these came about, so I cancelled each one.  You might want to investigate if you have these pre-authorized payments that a merchant can charge at any time.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:32:36 AM by Joggernot »

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2470 on: February 11, 2015, 08:37:43 AM »
I use the powder recipe below. I grate my fels naptha soap much finer than their picture. They have a cost breakdown on page 3. Enjoy!
http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-laundry-detergent-soap/ 

Thanks!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2471 on: February 11, 2015, 09:54:35 AM »
Did a little net surfing.  Discovered that the problem I bought the new antenna to fix can be resolved better by changing the furniture around so that the light that was interfering with radio reception is not between antenna and signal.  New antenna goes back today.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #2472 on: February 11, 2015, 06:44:04 PM »
I totally hear you on having 4' of snow in your yard and not being able to throw the snow higher.  The past few yrs have been like that (not this one so far).  I literally had to walk EVERY SHOVEL FULL up the driveway, down the neighbor's sidewalk, to deposit it on his yard.  (He has a little more open lawn than I do and no driveway.   It sucked and I swore I would buy a snowblower while I was doing it.  But just as you said, when all was said and done, and my muscle soreness wore off - it seemed worth it not to have one.  So you just keep shoveling - I'm proud of you!

Yay +1 for shoveling!

I live in CT ...we've been shoveling 3x a week for the last 3 weeks and my yard currently has 4' of snow in it; it's getting to the point that I can't throw the snow any higher than the banks along the driveway.  Every time it snows, it absolutely sucks for the next day or two, and I go "goddamnit I'm getting a freaking snowblower!" and then the day after we're done shoveling and I'm not that sore and not that tired, I go, "well, we can make it through one more storm..."

But DH's family is from WI and I know how rough of a winter you guys had last year (his mom's pipes froze despite all heat sources going full blast -- they used a portapotty for months!! I can't even imagine!) so I guess I can suck it up ;)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2473 on: February 11, 2015, 07:01:07 PM »
1) Used up zucchini and broccoli in the fridge -- HATE food going to waste.

2) Kept heat off during the day.

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2474 on: February 11, 2015, 07:07:56 PM »
Today, I got my new Republic Wireless phone!  Once my number is fully transferred, I can go ahead and cancel my expensive Verizon account, haha.

A little less exciting: I resisted the urge to buy books and went through the library instead.

humblefi

• Stubble
    • Humble FI
« Reply #2475 on: February 11, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
Ate cereal for lunch instead of going out to eat and spending $10.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2476 on: February 11, 2015, 07:20:49 PM »
I totally hear you on having 4' of snow in your yard and not being able to throw the snow higher.  The past few yrs have been like that (not this one so far).  I literally had to walk EVERY SHOVEL FULL up the driveway, down the neighbor's sidewalk, to deposit it on his yard.  (He has a little more open lawn than I do and no driveway.   It sucked and I swore I would buy a snowblower while I was doing it.  But just as you said, when all was said and done, and my muscle soreness wore off - it seemed worth it not to have one.  So you just keep shoveling - I'm proud of you!

Yay +1 for shoveling!

Oof -- that sounds awful!  I've been "hand plowing" as I like to call it, by just pushing the snow straight out the driveway and across the street.  We live on a teeny road that's just a loop off a main road, so there's basically no traffic, which is lucky because I wouldn't be able to do this otherwise!  More snow incoming tomorrow and Sat/Sun and next Tuesday...luckily probably less than 4" total.  We'll tough it out :D

Today I managed to schedule a bunch of appointments for the same morning a few weeks from now; this won't help me save money since I'll miss work, but it'll help me lose less money because I'll miss the same 'shift' (I work between classes at college in 3-4 hour blocks at a time) rather than missing two or more shifts.

Also had a serious convo with DH about the car and the cable so hopefully that materializes into some actual savings :D

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #2477 on: February 11, 2015, 08:01:41 PM »
I did grocery shopping at the weekend and spent about $15 (In China, at a local fruit and veg market rather than a fancy pants import supermarket like many expats do).

I then cooked a huge minestrone soup and a tofu/cauliflower/water chestnut meal which is delicious. I'm now attempting to go Monday - Friday without spending a penny! Also have own coffee at school to avoid buying store bought.

It's Thursday today... $0 spent so far and plenty of food in the fridge/freezer left!

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #2478 on: February 11, 2015, 08:49:36 PM »
Not today, but yesterday I bought a kitchen table off of Craigslist for $30 to complete my apartment furnishings. Total spent? Will be about $150 once I buy a new cover to replace the one on the futon I bought for $50 off Craigslist, plus a few inexpensive utensils and pans.

Also joined the library in my new town and already checked out a few great books. First on the list? A Craigslist book so I can improve my side hustle, with Millionaire Next Door and Rich Dad, Poor Dad already on hold at the library!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2479 on: February 11, 2015, 10:56:14 PM »
*  bought the dented jar of coconut oil for $3 off
*  chose the wine on clearance for $3.99 (from $8.99)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #2480 on: February 11, 2015, 11:45:37 PM »
I was so tired after work, but I still managed to make a home cooked meal in lieu of eating out.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #2481 on: February 12, 2015, 10:36:20 AM »
I was so tired after work, but I still managed to make a home cooked meal in lieu of eating out.

Sometimes this is a HUGE accomplishment in my world.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #2482 on: February 12, 2015, 10:39:30 AM »
Found out the store brand flatbread my supermarket sells tastes exactly the same as the more expensive Wasa, while being 25% cheaper.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2483 on: February 12, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »
*  Started listening to a prosperity meditation at bedtime
*  This morning, found $15 in the pocket of a jacket I have not worn in awhile
*  avoiding any extra driving for the day
*  homemade tamales and yesterday's bargain wine for dinner tonight

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2484 on: February 12, 2015, 02:30:08 PM »
Ditched cable and signed up for sling tv. We watch sports, hgtv and food network and sling covers that. Savings $50 per month.

Now can someone provide internet cheaper? We pay a god awful $60 for it, even with all discounts.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2485 on: February 12, 2015, 02:33:12 PM »
Finished sorting through most of my clothes and packed up 3 bags for Goodwill donation. Also itemized them so I can calculate the donation's value for taxes next year (it won't be much but I'll take it!)

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #2486 on: February 12, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »
Trying to buy some seeds for the 2015 garden season on ebay and spent a bit of time trying to get seller to explain their postal rates for multiple varieties.  Sigh.  They made it very complicated and I think I'll just move on to another seller.  It was hit the "Send me a combined invoice" button (or something of that ilk) which according to ebay would mean I contracted to buy them.  NO.  Just NO. 

As I told the seller what if I don't agree with the 'discounted' shipping rate you then quote me I'd already be committed to purchase?.  I'm going to know what I'm buying first and all the 'dealer's prep' & 'shipping charges' & 'handling charges' and 'rust-prevention' add ons (you catch my sarcasm I hope?) BEFORE I commit to buying from anyone.  She has yet to reply back. 

Phhppffhhhttt....be clear in your ad how to buy multiple items & how much it's going to cost if you do to ship them to you. 

SIGH.  So far I've saved the cost of the seeds and of the shipping!  oh me.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2487 on: February 12, 2015, 05:40:42 PM »
*  Just signed up for a library card :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2488 on: February 12, 2015, 07:34:16 PM »
I had to be out all day visiting a few classrooms in my town.  I knew I would have a bit of time between appointments and would be tempted to go to a coffee shop.  So I made coffee at home in the morning and filled two travel mugs to take with me.  I also went to the library (instead of a coffee shop) to check my e-mail with their free wifi.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #2489 on: February 12, 2015, 11:02:54 PM »
I did grocery shopping at the weekend and spent about $15 (In China, at a local fruit and veg market rather than a fancy pants import supermarket like many expats do).

I then cooked a huge minestrone soup and a tofu/cauliflower/water chestnut meal which is delicious. I'm now attempting to go Monday - Friday without spending a penny! Also have own coffee at school to avoid buying store bought.

It's Thursday today... $0 spent so far and plenty of food in the fridge/freezer left!

Friday and soup from home for lunch... still on $0 for the week!

Now to resist my colleagues invite for a beer after work...!

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2490 on: February 12, 2015, 11:23:41 PM »
Made 4 loaves of bread for the game night we are hosting tomorrow! Didn't really do it to save money, but it will be yummy and the money savings makes it extra tasty. ;-)

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2491 on: February 13, 2015, 10:43:55 AM »
I walked to CVS (in sub-freezing temps) to buy a gallon  of milk instead of driving to the grocery store.  Also activated my PTel phone and ditched my straight talk for a savings of $20-25 per month.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2492 on: February 13, 2015, 12:48:19 PM »
Walk to store with baby in carrier to buy groceries. Win-win - baby gets to go out, I get some shopping completed and we can't buy more than necessary stuff.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2493 on: February 13, 2015, 07:14:39 PM »
Did a focus group for $125, then took the car to transmission shop for an estimate. Small town, local mechanic who knows you and your cousins for the win -- nothing wrong with the transmission, and he said so, wouldn't take anything for his time. Troubleshooting on the hesitation continues, but it isn't fuel filter or pump (replaced both already) and it probably isn't the mass air flow sensor (cleaned it).

But this probably means no "new" car for a while, so happy news there.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #2494 on: February 13, 2015, 07:31:29 PM »
* Comparison-shopped HSAs.
* Continued researching new place to live w/ lower cost of living.
* Turned extra platter of sushi given to us for free by mistake yesterday (restaurant made 1 too many; told us to keep it) into fish chowder with ginger, lime, zucchini, and red peppers.
* Joined MMM forum. :)

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2495 on: February 13, 2015, 07:32:52 PM »
I reached to the back of the carrots at the grocery store and grabbed dry ones.  No need to pay 0.49/lb for water weight!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2496 on: February 13, 2015, 10:24:21 PM »
*  no money spent today
*  I have proactively planned cheap or free activities for the long weekend ahead

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #2497 on: February 14, 2015, 07:50:05 AM »
1)Had family meeting yesterday and as of the end of the month we will CUT THE CABLE!!!  Weehaaaa.  I have been trying to do this for about five years now and the Hubs (the one who watches the least TV in the household) was the one who was fighting it the most and his one show is available online!  shrug??  seriously dude??????  We will refund the sons who live with us their 'cable box' payment that they made at the beginning of the year.  Seems like if good ol' Mom & Dad didn't want to pay for cable neither of them thought it was necessary either.  They only paid the additional box money for their hookups in their areas of the house.  They could've watched it on the 55 incher in the den at no cost before that. 

2) Went out to steak dinner last night to beat the Valentine rush and the adult children who went along paid their own way.

LadyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #2498 on: February 14, 2015, 10:25:46 AM »
I saved around $180 by doing my taxes online yesterday instead of going to an accountant like I usually do. I saw a few people on the forum suggest going the DIY route, and it really encouraged me to make an attempt.

I made dinner last night and I am having leftovers for lunch today. I also have leftovers from earlier in the week left in the fridge, and I am thinking about having those for dinner.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2499 on: February 14, 2015, 10:43:20 AM »
I've bought and used cloth menstrual pads for the first time this month. It's an investment. Costs: €21 for 3 pads. Not sure how much time it will take to earn it back, but it will pay itself back eventually

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!