Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020973 times)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12200 on: December 13, 2018, 03:18:40 AM »
Linda, will you really need a rental car? Not sure what your plans are when in NL but public transport makes my life usually easy enough. NS tickets can be fairly cheap if you buy the discounted ones. I feel you'd need to do lots of driving before a rental car will be cost-saving.

I forgot my lunch today but instead of buying in the canteen I passed by the supermarket and bought some bread rolls.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12201 on: December 13, 2018, 04:29:54 AM »
Linda, will you really need a rental car? Not sure what your plans are when in NL but public transport makes my life usually easy enough. NS tickets can be fairly cheap if you buy the discounted ones. I feel you'd need to do lots of driving before a rental car will be cost-saving.

I forgot my lunch today but instead of buying in the canteen I passed by the supermarket and bought some bread rolls.

@Hirondelle Tja... My mother lives about an hour driving from the airport. We will arrive very late in the evening and will be able to leave there at 10 pm. Yes, I could ask my mother to pick us up, but I find it very late. The more logical alternative is taking the train to the nearest train station and my mother needs to pick us up from there.

At schiphol, buying a train ticket is easy. In the rest of the country it is more difficult, if paying by a foreign credit card. Buying bus tickets are also difficult and not something you easily and cheaply do on a buss, with a credit card.

My mother and my FIL live very far from each other and both far from a train station. We need to travel between them twice. And we need to get back to the airport on second day of Christmas in the evening, again from my mother's house. I don't like to burden them that much.

Public transport would have been fine, if we would only have to use trains. I hate to use busses because buying normal price tickets is too difficult. If you have any concrete advice on how to do it easily, at a late hour, please let me know.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12202 on: December 13, 2018, 05:13:10 AM »

@Hirondelle Tja... My mother lives about an hour driving from the airport. We will arrive very late in the evening and will be able to leave there at 10 pm. Yes, I could ask my mother to pick us up, but I find it very late. The more logical alternative is taking the train to the nearest train station and my mother needs to pick us up from there.

At schiphol, buying a train ticket is easy. In the rest of the country it is more difficult, if paying by a foreign credit card. Buying bus tickets are also difficult and not something you easily and cheaply do on a buss, with a credit card.

My mother and my FIL live very far from each other and both far from a train station. We need to travel between them twice. And we need to get back to the airport on second day of Christmas in the evening, again from my mother's house. I don't like to burden them that much.

Public transport would have been fine, if we would only have to use trains. I hate to use busses because buying normal price tickets is too difficult. If you have any concrete advice on how to do it easily, at a late hour, please let me know.

Ah yes not having a Dutch ATM card might complicate things a bit. Assuming you visit the NL semi-regularly, won't it be worth it to just get a OV-chipkaart and have some money on it. I'd guess a Norwegian debit card should work on those machines? Maybe your family even has an anonymous card just laying around that you could use (my parents usually have one that I use if international friends visit). Otherwise the €7.50 personal ones are valid for 5y so that's a €1.50 expense per year.

I have an OV chipcard so not sure about paying in the bus. However I live in a semi-touristy town and our EBS busses do have ATM machines inside and I think foreign debit/credit cards work on there. Norway sounds like a country without super-obscure cards that they don't accept.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12203 on: December 13, 2018, 06:09:43 AM »
Biked 47 km to and from work. Got lots of exercise and not-so-fresh air, and saved on bus fare.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12204 on: December 13, 2018, 06:54:31 AM »

Ah yes not having a Dutch ATM card might complicate things a bit. Assuming you visit the NL semi-regularly, won't it be worth it to just get a OV-chipkaart and have some money on it. I'd guess a Norwegian debit card should work on those machines? Maybe your family even has an anonymous card just laying around that you could use (my parents usually have one that I use if international friends visit). Otherwise the €7.50 personal ones are valid for 5y so that's a €1.50 expense per year.

I have an OV chipcard so not sure about paying in the bus. However I live in a semi-touristy town and our EBS busses do have ATM machines inside and I think foreign debit/credit cards work on there. Norway sounds like a country without super-obscure cards that they don't accept.

Sorry, I have a Norwegian debit visa card as well. It works in the train ticket machines on Schiphol. But often not on smaller stations. :-(
Maybe investing i a real OV chipcard would be a good investment, but not easy to organize late in the evening.

DH thinks the rental car I found so long was way to expensive, so maybe I'll need to ask my mother to pick us up at nearest train station very late in the evening.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12205 on: December 13, 2018, 07:46:14 AM »

Sorry, I have a Norwegian debit visa card as well. It works in the train ticket machines on Schiphol. But often not on smaller stations. :-(
Maybe investing i a real OV chipcard would be a good investment, but not easy to organize late in the evening.

DH thinks the rental car I found so long was way to expensive, so maybe I'll need to ask my mother to pick us up at nearest train station very late in the evening.

According to the website it doesn't sound that complicated and the anonymous one is also valid for 5 years. Plus they're available to get at the airport so then the debit card problem shouldn't a big deal! Once you've charged it with enough money you should be good for taking the busses all over the place :)

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12206 on: December 13, 2018, 12:43:01 PM »
Eating an allergy friendly diet for my nursing daughter.  Saves money because no spur of the moment going out to eat options and also is much much cheaper than the allergy friendly formulas.

I went down to the work cafeteria (good food for a discounted/company subsided price) for lunch today, unfortunately I ran out of salad dressing that is allergy friendly and they didn't have any non-salad allergy friendly options for me today.  I ate the last can of "just in case" soup I had at my desk so no money on lunch but I am not sure it was enough to hold me over until I get home (this nursing mama needs lots of calories).

Started carpooling on Monday with a co-worker, which cuts my commute cost in half every other week!

Not a small thing but we installed an outdoor wood burning furnance/boiler at the house a couple weeks ago that is tied into our HVAC and our water heater! We live in the country and have plenty of wood to provide free fuel, just need to clean up our "forest".  I expect this will save us ~ $1k per year in energy cost but it will also provide exercise and allow us to do some much needed "forest" maintenance/clean up on the property. In the 4 winter months last year we averaged 154 kWh per day! Since installing this thing we are down to an average of 92 kWh per day and I am expecting that to continue to decrease as we have only had the water heater connected for a couple days.  Yes that is still a lot of energy, no we don't have gas heat as an option.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #12207 on: December 13, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »
According to the website it doesn't sound that complicated and the anonymous one is also valid for 5 years. Plus they're available to get at the airport so then the debit card problem shouldn't a big deal! Once you've charged it with enough money you should be good for taking the busses all over the place :)

We bought the OV chipcard from a vending machine late at night, no problem, and were really happy to have it. I believe you also pay a slightly lower rate per journey with the card.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12208 on: December 14, 2018, 05:29:24 AM »

We bought the OV chipcard from a vending machine late at night, no problem, and were really happy to have it. I believe you also pay a slightly lower rate per journey with the card.

We accept he fact that we pay a slightly higher price per journey, as we only make 2-4 trip a year. 0,75 euro per trip extra is peanuts. But it could be worth it for easily taking the buss.

I have dropped the question whether my mother is willing to pick us up from the nearest train station late in the evening. That would also solve the problem. We think 180s euro for a rental car for a week is too expensive.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12209 on: December 14, 2018, 08:39:34 AM »
Looked in Mr. Poundwise's closet.  THERE are all the missing socks!  All sizes, from cute lavender kitten socks for toddlers, to athletic sport socks for teens, to his own socks, and most maddeningly, MY socks. Over, under, and in piles of rumpled clothes.

When I sort the laundry, I fold it all and give each family member a bundle to put away in their own closets and drawers.  When Mr. Poundwise or the kids do it, well, I don't micromanage and things aren't done perfectly.

Now that I found the matches for over twenty odd socks, that's probably $60-$100 worth of pairs rescued.  I wish we had found them before I bought new socks for everyone.  I swear, sometimes I think Mr. Poundwise is gaslighting me!

The annoying thing is all the sympathetic and sad noises he makes when I moan about all the missing socks... and they have been sitting in his closet all along! 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:06:22 AM by Poundwise »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12210 on: December 14, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »
@Poundwise - really laughed at your last sentence.

-For me, patiently (okay, but tried) with all of the insurance adjuster stuff for the accident I was in recently. The other person has claimed liability, so this means savings for me to deal with the hassle & get everything sorted.
-Leftovers for dinner, as usual.
-Used a coupon & a gift card, plus signed up for the 4x points offer for groceries. I'll be making truffles for a work party for my husband, vs him buying something. Hopefully better tasting, plus more cost effective.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12211 on: December 14, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
Looked in Mr. Poundwise's closet.  THERE are all the missing socks!  All sizes, from cute lavender kitten socks for toddlers, to athletic sport socks for teens, to his own socks, and most maddeningly, MY socks. Over, under, and in piles of rumpled clothes.

When I sort the laundry, I fold it all and give each family member a bundle to put away in their own closets and drawers.  When Mr. Poundwise or the kids do it, well, I don't micromanage and things aren't done perfectly.

Now that I found the matches for over twenty odd socks, that's probably $60-$100 worth of pairs rescued.  I wish we had found them before I bought new socks for everyone.  I swear, sometimes I think Mr. Poundwise is gaslighting me!

The annoying thing is all the sympathetic and sad noises he makes when I moan about all the missing socks... and they have been sitting in his closet all along!

He is a man, that pretty much explains it all. My Hub, love him dearly but he does things that sometimes makes me nuts. I have a spot where we hang clothes hangers when there are no clothes on them. It is near a laundry sorter and near some curtains. There is at least one foot space between where the hangers are hung to where the curtains are. The hangers are always tangled up with the curtains and I just don't understand how he NEVER sees it. GRRRR, I try to shut my yap because I crab enough about stuff but these dumb things make me crazy! He does a lot of good things too but those little dumb things are maddening!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12212 on: December 15, 2018, 06:12:19 AM »
Found out last minute that my Dad's girlfriend will be attending our early Christmas celebration with him this weekend, so I was rushing to find her a gift.  Decided to give her a bottle of wine that I got from my work gift exchange instead of buying something and drinking the wine ourselves.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12213 on: December 15, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »

We accept he fact that we pay a slightly higher price per journey, as we only make 2-4 trip a year. 0,75 euro per trip extra is peanuts. But it could be worth it for easily taking the buss.

I have dropped the question whether my mother is willing to pick us up from the nearest train station late in the evening. That would also solve the problem. We think 180s euro for a rental car for a week is too expensive.

Depending on where you need to go, Flixbus might also be an option. Really cheap, not as convenient as a rental car, but cheaper than NS and they have stops in locations that don't have a train station.

These days in many buses you can't pay cash anymore, so you need to pay by debit card or ov chipcard.

We luckily never have to go to places that are really remote, train, bus + Flixbus have gotten us all over the Benelux and Germany.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12214 on: December 15, 2018, 10:13:25 AM »
-Used a coupon & rewards to get my husband's Claritin for free yesterday
-Remembered to list a few Christmas ornaments on eBay, & one sold for $50.
Hey @MaybeBabyMustache - when he works through the Claritin, have him try the Costco generic, it's a fraction of the price. Stupid cheap. DH switched and says he can't tell any difference, except in his wallet. Funny guy.

Great job on the ornament. Was it something collectible or rare?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12215 on: December 15, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »
@Dicey - good call. We're hoping he can figure out what's causing this enormous (body wide) allergic reaction. We're trying out various things.

On the ornament, it was a long since retired Swarovski crystal ornament, from when I was in college. Which. .. was quite a while ago. ;-)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12216 on: December 15, 2018, 09:28:52 PM »
Didn’t buy new ornaments, did collect some pine cones and roast them in the oven (they get shiny and open up and supposedly it kills any lurking critters) and then hung them our “crab-pot Christmas tree” with paper-clip hooks.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12217 on: December 16, 2018, 09:13:23 AM »
Not a small thing but we installed an outdoor wood burning furnance/boiler at the house a couple weeks ago that is tied into our HVAC and our water heater! We live in the country and have plenty of wood to provide free fuel, just need to clean up our "forest".  I expect this will save us ~ $1k per year in energy cost but it will also provide exercise and allow us to do some much needed "forest" maintenance/clean up on the property. In the 4 winter months last year we averaged 154 kWh per day! Since installing this thing we are down to an average of 92 kWh per day and I am expecting that to continue to decrease as we have only had the water heater connected for a couple days.  Yes that is still a lot of energy, no we don't have gas heat as an option.

Mind if I ask what the purchase and installation costs were?  I use an indoor wood burner, but have often thought about what it would do to be able to sent heat to 2.5 floors and not deal with the indoor mess.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12218 on: December 16, 2018, 09:14:58 AM »
Yesterday Mrs. Pressure put many, many jars and Tupperware of various leftover veggies into a soup.  This morning I canned them into nine lunch-sized jars. 

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12219 on: December 16, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »
I took in scrap metal. Apparently my old sink faucet, rusty bent nails, broken drill bits and other random stuff was worth $10. It took a long time to fill those coffee cans, but I needed to do something with the random metal  scraps, I usually keep a can around as a way to clean up metal pieces.

At $0.07/lb for rusty nails, it takes awhile to make any money. More importantly, it gets all the random metal scraps out of my house.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12220 on: December 16, 2018, 03:36:52 PM »
Made a spatchcock chicken and put the back bone and all the scrap bones into the slow cooker with carrots, celery, onions, better than broth paste and water. Plus a little garlic powder. It will cook all night long to make bone broth.  The celery was a bit wimpy so good way to use it up. I poured in some of the drippings from the foil from cooking the chicken. There was a few onion slices and celery too. So all of that stuff will cook around 16 hours or more when I get up tomorrow morning. I just love making broth out of 'useless' bones and wimpy veggies!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12221 on: December 16, 2018, 10:32:17 PM »
Never got dressed, never left the house. Put up Christmas decorations. Rested.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12222 on: December 17, 2018, 05:54:28 AM »
Made a spatchcock chicken and put the back bone and all the scrap bones into the slow cooker with carrots, celery, onions, better than broth paste and water. Plus a little garlic powder. It will cook all night long to make bone broth.  The celery was a bit wimpy so good way to use it up. I poured in some of the drippings from the foil from cooking the chicken. There was a few onion slices and celery too. So all of that stuff will cook around 16 hours or more when I get up tomorrow morning. I just love making broth out of 'useless' bones and wimpy veggies!

:)  We did a spatchcock turkey this weekend and made stock from the bones.  We also ate at home all week and continued the quest to use items from our freezer. 

Made a conscious use of rewards and $5 off $5/$10 off $10 coupons that normally get tossed to stop for stocking stuffers or items for DD to use for secret santa if I was passing by. 

Read about online beer rebates on a coupon blog for a local store I check occasionally.  Slickdeals has a wiki that they keep track of the rebates, not sure if I can link it but if you google Anheuser Busch online rebates and slickdeals it's easy to find.  Took me about 20 minutes to find receipts and submit for $16 of items I already purchased. 

The big one is that I spoke with a realtor where our rental houses are and due to Hurricane Florence, times to sell have really shortened and prices have increased a bit.  The realtor recommended an aggressive price that he thought would sell in 2-3 weeks that is $12k more than I thought.  So, we'll talk to one tenant the end of the month to let him know we're listing the house the beginning of March (which incidentally is his three year mark for being in the house).  Super excited about the thought of that house being sold, we don't have a mortgage on the other and it's in a very hot neighborhood so we'll probably sell it the following year.   

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12223 on: December 17, 2018, 06:53:53 AM »

Mind if I ask what the purchase and installation costs were?  I use an indoor wood burner, but have often thought about what it would do to be able to sent heat to 2.5 floors and not deal with the indoor mess.

This is the brand that we purchased https://earthoutdoorfurnaces.com/ and the prices can be found on the website.  We paid for delivery but did the install ourselves.  There are cheaper models out there but this band had an EPA certification, which is important to me.  In addition to the furnace, we also purchased the underground (insulated) pipe, the heat exchanger to connect to the HVAC, and the plate heat exchanger for the water heater.  We built/poured the concrete slab ourselves and got the rest of the PEX and fittings from the local hardware store.  I have since learned that there are better options for the underground pipe but I at this point I am not digging it up so we will see how long this stuff last. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 06:56:09 AM by Slow&Steady »

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12224 on: December 17, 2018, 08:59:50 AM »
Changed the oil in my car myself instead of paying to have it done at a garage.  I know this is considered very basic here, but it is actually difficult for me because I am prohibited by my lease from doing any car work in the parking lot.  I have had this problem for the last several years, ever since I owned a car, so I had never done it before.  Since I was visiting my dad over the weekend, I asked him to supervise me and let me use his equipment.  In addition to a private driveway and garage space, he has proper ramps instead of jacks, a designated bin to collect the old oil, and a place nearby that accepts used oil for recycling.

I think it was his favorite part of our visit, having me ask him for help and passing on some of his knowledge.  He was only disappointed that my DH wasn't interested in learning as well.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12225 on: December 17, 2018, 04:44:27 PM »
Changed the oil in my car myself instead of paying to have it done at a garage.  I know this is considered very basic here, but it is actually difficult for me because I am prohibited by my lease from doing any car work in the parking lot.  I have had this problem for the last several years, ever since I owned a car, so I had never done it before.  Since I was visiting my dad over the weekend, I asked him to supervise me and let me use his equipment.  In addition to a private driveway and garage space, he has proper ramps instead of jacks, a designated bin to collect the old oil, and a place nearby that accepts used oil for recycling.

I think it was his favorite part of our visit, having me ask him for help and passing on some of his knowledge.  He was only disappointed that my DH wasn't interested in learning as well.
Congratulations. Feels great to save about $15-$20 by turning 2 screws, doesn't it? Keep open to doing more on your own or with your fathers help. Youtube is a great friend.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12226 on: December 18, 2018, 06:21:55 AM »

Did you remember to change the oil filter as well? That is smart to do in the same operation, which I assume your father knows.

Using good equipment, like a proper ramp, make the job a lot easier. I have such a place at work that we sometimes use. I am not looking forward to missing out the day I'm going to FIRE.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12227 on: December 18, 2018, 06:30:25 AM »

Did you remember to change the oil filter as well? That is smart to do in the same operation, which I assume your father knows.

Using good equipment, like a proper ramp, make the job a lot easier. I have such a place at work that we sometimes use. I am not looking forward to missing out the day I'm going to FIRE.

Yes, we changed the filter as well :)  I'm considering asking for ramps for Christmas next year, assuming we've moved into a house with a driveway and/or garage by then, as planned.  So much safer than just jacking up the car.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12228 on: December 18, 2018, 06:44:22 AM »
Went to the student dentist, which gives a 25% discount for care that actually seems more elaborately done!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12229 on: December 18, 2018, 06:52:17 AM »
Going to make a home made potato soup today. I have taters that are getting old and before they go bad I will use them. I made a home made chicken broth yesterday that will be used in the potato soup. I have everything I need to make the soup and it is windy and bitter cold today so it should be awesome!

So no cash in the trash with the taters!

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12230 on: December 18, 2018, 07:28:41 AM »
Had DH turn the chicken noodle soup from last week (that nobody liked) into chicken pot pie, last night.  It wasn't the most flavorful but it didn't end up in the trash!

Thinking about having him turn some taco soup/chili/whatever it was into burritos either tonight or tomorrow.

Brought different leftovers to work today.

We either always have leftover or never have leftover, kids are picky creatures that will eat everything one day and (seemingly) not enough to survive the next day.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12231 on: December 18, 2018, 07:57:01 AM »
Had DH turn the chicken noodle soup from last week (that nobody liked) into chicken pot pie, last night.  It wasn't the most flavorful but it didn't end up in the trash!

Thinking about having him turn some taco soup/chili/whatever it was into burritos either tonight or tomorrow.

We either always have leftover or never have leftover, kids are picky creatures that will eat everything one day and (seemingly) not enough to survive the next day.

Have you tried using Campbells cream of chicken soup to thicken and flavor the chicken soup for the pot pie. Really good!

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12232 on: December 18, 2018, 08:19:57 AM »

Have you tried using Campbells cream of chicken soup to thicken and flavor the chicken soup for the pot pie. Really good!

I can not have any dairy or soy so it makes things much more interesting.  In the past I believe cream of chicken soup is what DH used in pot pie but now he makes his own rue (? I am not a cook so I am guessing that is the right term) to thicken up the soup for pot pie.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12233 on: December 18, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »

I can not have any dairy or soy so it makes things much more interesting.  In the past I believe cream of chicken soup is what DH used in pot pie but now he makes his own rue (? I am not a cook so I am guessing that is the right term) to thicken up the soup for pot pie.

You can totally make a real foods gluten free dairy free cream of chicken soup! https://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/dairy-free-and-gluten-free-cream-chicken-soup/ And just a dairy free one: https://mywisemom.com/dairy-free-cream-of-chicken-soup Same idea on the spices either way. That'd help you get a little more flavor than just a roux =) Although a roux will still have more flavor that just cornstarch or arrowroot powder, so it's still a solid option.

As for me:
Yesterday worked on eating some odds and ends from the pantry. Ate some leftover lentil pasta. Used the need to use up a squash to guide what we had for dinner.
Walked to yoga, as usual. On the way home, picked up cream cheese to ensure I finish off some smoked fish in the fridge before it goes bad.
Bad weather means Husband doesn't need to go to his client site for work. That doesn't directly save us money, since we get mileage and food reimbursed, but I suppose it saves the company money.

marcela

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12234 on: December 18, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
- Dinner last night was freezer pot roast and leftover potatoes from Sunday night dinner. Husband has a bad habit of letting leftover food just sit in the fridge for ages so I'm glad I was able to rescue the potatoes and (slightly freezer burned) pot roast. I chucked it into the instant pot with some more broth and seasonings so it turned out super flavourful.
- White elephant party at work and I was able to put my gift together with random stuff we had around the house. Saving money and decluttering! Lunch will be provided for a $5 donation so I'm considering it a pretty cheap way to make connections with other departments since I usually turn down invites to go out to lunch.
- Found two bottles of red wine at work and got approval to take them home. This will supplement our wine at home for hosting the holiday.
- Sold 3 theater tickets from our subscription. We weren't going to be in town for the show and couldn't switch the date to one that worked. Got back what I paid for them and will save money by not driving to the city the theater is in, plus parking fees, plus usually going out to lunch or dinner in downtown. 

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #12235 on: December 19, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »
Got my oil changed a couple months ago and you get a free car wash with it. I had the bike rack attached to the hitch at the time, so I asked if I could redeem it later. They said yes.

Fast forward several months and the receipt and voucher are wrinkled and battered at the bottom of my purse. In a "what-the-hell" moment, I pulled up and asked if they'd honor it. The lady said sure and handed me a new receipt with the order number. She directed me to the full-service car wash door. Confused, I pulled up and told the attendant I didn't need full service, just exterior. He says, no problem, I'll just credit this receipt so you get another exterior wash free.

SCORE!

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12236 on: December 19, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »
Eating an allergy friendly diet for my nursing daughter.  Saves money because no spur of the moment going out to eat options and also is much much cheaper than the allergy friendly formulas.

I went down to the work cafeteria (good food for a discounted/company subsided price) for lunch today, unfortunately I ran out of salad dressing that is allergy friendly and they didn't have any non-salad allergy friendly options for me today.  I ate the last can of "just in case" soup I had at my desk so no money on lunch but I am not sure it was enough to hold me over until I get home (this nursing mama needs lots of calories).

Started carpooling on Monday with a co-worker, which cuts my commute cost in half every other week!

Cancelled Kindle Unlimited and downloaded the Overdrive app that is needed to take advantage of e-books from our local library.

Convinced DH that getting firewood is a better workout than paying for a gym membership that he doesn't use.

Bought an Instant Pot (everyone seems to think these things save them a ton of money on food, hopefully this stays in the "save money" group and not the "another kitchen appliance that doesn't get used" group)

Bought LED bulbs, we have started to have more and more of our old CFL bulbs go out and we didn't have any spares.

Going to sign up for the Plan to Eat 30 day free trial to see if we can get our food cost under control.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12237 on: December 19, 2018, 07:10:29 PM »
-Adjusted work hours/APAC meetings to handle child care without cost (my nanny is out)
-Avoided optional white elephant at work. I'm not a total scrooge - I had meetings that conflicted
-Kids needed emergency $10 exchange items for school. Worked up two cute gift bags full of treats I'd bought & hidden away for ski snacks & other unusual pantry items. I needed to get a dollar value up at the grocery store, had a gift card, so it was free to me. And, more importantly, avoided a trip to the store.
-Used a Rite Aid reward for another gift, after my son unexpectedly received a very nice/expensive gift from a friend
-Continuing to scrounge the fridge/freezer for leftovers. Tonight two people will dine on leftover lasagna, and two will dine on freezer burritos + guac. Also, my husband brought home hand made chocolates that were a gift, so those will be dessert

Before we leave the house on Friday, we'll pack up all fruit/veggies that can survive a flight to Portland & try to repurpose them on our vacation. We've done this with good success on previous trips.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12238 on: December 20, 2018, 11:11:38 AM »
I bought way fewer gifts this year. 
helped by a child rearing work load that makes it easier to no give a F what my depression-era minded family thinks about it

BTW , does instapot really save money  ? how?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12239 on: December 20, 2018, 11:41:04 AM »
For me, my Instant Pot is amazing.  I cook more on weeknights--fast, single pot, and can do other things while it's on. 
  • make all of my broth from scratch instead of buying it.  I use leftover bones and vegetable scraps.  I keep a bag in the freezer and toss things in it. 
  • Bulk cook grains
  • Cook chicken breasts from FROZEN in under 30 minutes

I know a lot of what I do with my Instant Pot could be accomplished with a slow cooker.  However, a slow cooker is slow.  And I have only ONCE managed to get a meal started in my slow cooker before work.  I am not great at meal planning, so YMMV. With my Instant Pot, I bulk cook during the week, which is huge for me. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12240 on: December 20, 2018, 09:30:05 PM »
Baked  bread instead of buying it for teacher gift baskets. But wow, that was a lot of work! I had to make 6 loaves for 6 teachers (team-taught classes) and thus my Kitchenaid couldn't handle doing it all at once.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12241 on: December 21, 2018, 03:43:16 AM »
Baked  bread instead of buying it for teacher gift baskets. But wow, that was a lot of work! I had to make 6 loaves for 6 teachers (team-taught classes) and thus my Kitchenaid couldn't handle doing it all at once.

A loaf of home-baked bread is about the loveliest gift I can think of, @Poundwise.  That was really nice of you.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12242 on: December 21, 2018, 04:29:33 AM »
Worked from home this morning so I can go directly to the airport to catch a flight this afternoon, instead of having to take Uber/Lyft to work and then to the airport (or pay for airport parking for a week).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12243 on: December 21, 2018, 04:32:28 AM »
For me, my Instant Pot is amazing.  I cook more on weeknights--fast, single pot, and can do other things while it's on. 
  • make all of my broth from scratch instead of buying it.  I use leftover bones and vegetable scraps.  I keep a bag in the freezer and toss things in it. 
  • Bulk cook grains

I know a lot of what I do with my Instant Pot could be accomplished with a slow cooker.  However, a slow cooker is slow.  And I have only ONCE managed to get a meal started in my slow cooker before work.  I am not great at meal planning, so YMMV. With my Instant Pot, I bulk cook during the week, which is huge for me.
- I bulk cook beef for tacos and freeze it. Having meat for a fast meal at the ready avoids spendier dinner solutions. Taco Tuesday is good any day of the week.
- Quick and easy way to cook dry beans, which are cheaper than canned. Bonus - less waste.
- Ditto for grains, esp. rice and quinoa. Buy in bulk (cheaper) and batch cook (faster). Win.
As letsdoit mentioned, it is *fast*, which helps get frozen-solid items to the table expediently.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12244 on: December 21, 2018, 09:21:57 AM »

A loaf of home-baked bread is about the loveliest gift I can think of, @Poundwise.  That was really nice of you.

Thanks, @Trifele! Usually it's not such a big deal for me to make bread, but we had to produce gifts for many more teachers than usual this year. I'm praying that they came out all right... seemed to rise okay, right color on the outside, used instant read thermometer to check inside temp.  But there was no twin loaf for home consumption that I could cut into to check how the batch went.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #12245 on: December 21, 2018, 10:05:33 AM »
Here are some of the small things that I do that save me money (note that I didn't say to save money):

-Meal-prep and bring lunch to work
-Bike to the gym and grocery store
-Take cold showers
-Keep my heat on low
-Work from home as much as possible (save commuting costs)
-Drink only water
-Do my own car maintenance
-Work towards minimalism (make money by selling and save money by not buying)
-Rarely buy clothes but when I do they are from thrift stores
-Get a yearly physical (Save $54/mo on employer sponsored health insurance)

Here are some of the things that I don't do that save me money:

-Go out to eat (will go occasionally if I am invited to go with friends or family)
-Drink alcohol
-Drink coffee (even though I can get it for free at work)
-Buy anything more than what I went to the store for
-Keep up with the newest tech/gadgets
-Date (much)

Edit: Whoops. I missed the TODAY part. Most still apply
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:07:05 AM by 35andFI »

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12246 on: December 21, 2018, 02:37:35 PM »
  • Bulk cook grains

- I bulk cook beef for tacos and freeze it. Having meat for a fast meal at the ready avoids spendier dinner solutions. Taco Tuesday is good any day of the week.
- Quick and easy way to cook dry beans, which are cheaper than canned. Bonus - less waste.
- Ditto for grains, esp. rice and quinoa. Buy in bulk (cheaper) and batch cook (faster). Win.
As letsdoit mentioned, it is *fast*, which helps get frozen-solid items to the table expediently.

we have gas in our building, the cost is wrapped in the condo fee.
electricity is expensive.  i have given away a nice slow cooker in the past for that reason
it sounds like instapot things like broth could be done on gas stove in a regular pot. if  i bought a pressure cooker for stove top that would make it cook faster.
is there something that instapot could offer me in that situation? 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12247 on: December 21, 2018, 05:31:59 PM »
  • Bulk cook grains

electricity is expensive.  i have given away a nice slow cooker in the past for that reason
it sounds like instapot things like broth could be done on gas stove in a regular pot. if  i bought a pressure cooker for stove top that would make it cook faster.

Having cooked with both a stovetop pressure cooker and an instantpot, I'll tell you the instantpot is much simpler and is the only one of the two I'd leave even to go into another room to do something.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12248 on: December 22, 2018, 04:30:26 AM »
  • Bulk cook grains

Having cooked with both a stovetop pressure cooker and an instantpot, I'll tell you the instantpot is much simpler and is the only one of the two I'd leave even to go into another room to do something.

I have an old fashion pressure cooker I have not used in a long time but I did love it and never had an issue with it. I also have an Instant Pot and my favorite thing to make in it is yogurt. I really get annoyed when I cook with the Instant Pot bringing the pot up to pressure. It seems to take forever, like 35 minutes)  before it actually starts cooking. I need to use this pot more often and try new things.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12249 on: December 22, 2018, 06:54:06 AM »
  • Bulk cook grains

I have an old fashion pressure cooker I have not used in a long time but I did love it and never had an issue with it. I also have an Instant Pot and my favorite thing to make in it is yogurt. I really get annoyed when I cook with the Instant Pot bringing the pot up to pressure. It seems to take forever, like 35 minutes)  before it actually starts cooking. I need to use this pot more often and try new things.
I've never had an issue with my pressure cooker (or my pressure canner) either; they just aren't designed to be left unattended.

I'd be very unhappy with 35 minutes to come to pressure, too. My InstantPot takes longer than the manual canner, but it's more like 15 minutes vs 5-10 with the stovetop. Are you sure your ring is clean? Enough liquid? If you aren't used to cooking large amounts of food, the 6-quart pot is pretty big. My mother recently got one of the mini pots and loves it for cooking for two.