Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020838 times)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5650 on: February 24, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »
Today I unclogged the drain in the tub/shower using a hook made from a wire hanger. It took about 3 minutes, no expensive chemicals or plumber necessary.

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #5651 on: February 24, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »
Mystery shopped a local gas station today which will more than pay for a full tank of gas when I'm reimbursed next month. I also mystery shopped a check cashing place by phone today (not worth it for the time it took to complete the survey) and a car dealership yesterday for a free oil change and car wash and $25. The company I'm working through is called IntelliShop.

Crystal1588

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5652 on: February 25, 2016, 07:01:54 AM »
Packed my lunch (which I do every day) but this morning I have a very uncharacteristic craving for Jimmy Johns.  Oh well, freezer burrito it is!

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #5653 on: February 25, 2016, 08:13:22 AM »
Today I unclogged the drain in the tub/shower using a hook made from a wire hanger. It took about 3 minutes, no expensive chemicals or plumber necessary.
Good work!  Have you seen those plastic things at the hardware store for getting the hair out of your drain?  They cost about $2 and because they are plastic they bend and get down in there really easy.  Since getting one, I have not had to buy Draino or the like for over 4 years.   (I used to have to use a bottle every few months just to keep ahead of it).

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5654 on: February 25, 2016, 08:39:13 AM »
Good work!  Have you seen those plastic things at the hardware store for getting the hair out of your drain?  They cost about $2 and because they are plastic they bend and get down in there really easy.  Since getting one, I have not had to buy Draino or the like for over 4 years.   (I used to have to use a bottle every few months just to keep ahead of it).

No! I've always just used the wire hangers but they are a little bit fiddly. I will look next time I'm at the hardware store.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5655 on: February 25, 2016, 09:08:25 AM »
I found a coupon in the grocery store which I was able to use for our weekly grocery shopping. And it expires on the 12th of March, so I can use it two times more.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5656 on: February 25, 2016, 09:08:42 AM »
You can also clean a super gunky drain by pouring in baking soda, followed with splashes of vinegar. Keep splashing vinegar in until the fizzing stops, then follow up with boiling water. Repeat until gunk stops coming up the drain with the boiling water. This won't get the hair out, but will get rid of the gunk matrix holding the hair, allowing you to remove it.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5657 on: February 25, 2016, 12:06:50 PM »
Repeat until gunk stops coming up the drain with the boiling water. This won't get the hair out, but will get rid of the gunk matrix holding the hair, allowing you to remove it.

Ew. I'm no longer hungry for lunch, so ... savings there? :P

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5658 on: February 25, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »
Ew. I'm no longer hungry for lunch, so ... savings there? :P

Happy to help. :D

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5659 on: February 25, 2016, 02:12:48 PM »
I made batches of plain and vanilla yogurt. I hope the vanilla comes out well! Mr. FP has been buying commercial.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5660 on: February 25, 2016, 03:01:15 PM »
I went to compline again tonight and was tempted to go to the grocery store a little afterward in search of half-priced baked goods for a dessert. Last night I got two almond croissants for 50p and devoured them both before bed. But instead, I went home and made toast with butter and strawberry jam, which was equally satisfying.

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5661 on: February 25, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »
I mentioned to my brother that my earphones had broken. His neighbor had just given him several sets for free, so my brother mailed two of them to me. Thank you, brother. Now I don't have to buy a replacement. Yay!

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #5662 on: February 25, 2016, 09:06:49 PM »
I was feeling kind of peckish when I left work and was contemplating buying a (cheap, unhealthy) snack, but I resisted and ate when I got home instead.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5663 on: February 26, 2016, 07:23:06 AM »
This week, I made (or started making): wine, beer, ricotta, mozzarella, yogurt, bread, pizza, sprouts, and a dress.

Next up: tiling the kitchen backsplash, which has been in my list for 8 months.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #5664 on: February 26, 2016, 07:55:45 AM »
I just started a new job last week, and as such, I received two paychecks last night (last one of the old job, first one of the new). The limit for contributing for 2015 into an RRSP is on Monday. Everything is paid for, for the next two weeks before my next paycheck (mortgage, cards are empty, bills are paid), so both these paychecks are going directly into my RRSP. BOOM.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5665 on: February 26, 2016, 11:22:31 AM »
I just started a new job last week, and as such, I received two paychecks last night (last one of the old job, first one of the new). The limit for contributing for 2015 into an RRSP is on Monday. Everything is paid for, for the next two weeks before my next paycheck (mortgage, cards are empty, bills are paid), so both these paychecks are going directly into my RRSP. BOOM.

Whoa. That's an awesome shot in the arm.

I packed my lunch (as usual) and signed up for a Lunch and Learn being presented in a couple weeks by the bank that manages our 401(k)s. A boxed lunch will be provided. Win-win!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5666 on: February 27, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »
I decided to pay my annual home insurance premium using a credit card for points, though cash was in my bank account. This meant I had to call the insurance company, since that is the only way it takes cc payments. The agent asked me if I had got the 1995 roof repaired, which I had had re-shingled this year. Savings on premium: $211.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5667 on: February 27, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »
Saved good shoe laces off shoes that died too young (I ripped the toe of one... luckily the shoes were freebies! Didn't fit my mom, haha). Bonus points: the shoe laces are bright pink and match one of my scrub tops. I'll use them to liven up/color coordinate the next pair of work shoes I get.

Using overripe bananas for 2 ingredient cookies, like I mentioned up-thread. Favorite recipe. I'm going to throw in chocolate from a bar we didn't like the flavor profile on very much- they'll be fine in the cookies, just not good for "dark chocolate and wine" evenings like we enjoy.

Used celery in my tuna salad for lunch instead of our usual pickles, since we're out and I didn't want to go to the store.

Spent even more time on taxes- figured out how to shuffle enough money into our tIRAs that we will qualify for the saver's credit, brining us to truly obscene levels of expected tax refunds. Getting married was an AWESOME choice!

Found a bed frame on CL similar to one we were looking at buying... if it works out, it'll be $20 instead of $175.

Making more home-made yogurt in the instant pot. Delicious and also cheaper. Also encourages me to eat more yogurt with real probiotic activity, which makes for happy GI flora. Wins all around.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5668 on: February 27, 2016, 02:11:38 PM »
 Aha! Brachen_joy, you are the source of the two ingredient cookie recipe! I've been trying to figure out wher e I read that so I would know who to thank. I've been making them ever since I read your original post, and they're fabulous. I add raisins and a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder.

Today I saved money by spending money, not something I usually post. :-) I made the trip to Save a lot, which is about 5 miles further away than Walmart, and stocked up on all things that are cheaper there. Mostly this means I have all the canned goods in the world in my kitchen now. ( Walmart doesn't match regular prices, just things listed in sales flyers). May return tomorrow with my husband to help me, because I'm contemplating purchasing 50 pounds of chicken leg quarters at $.40 a pound.  I have to buy all 50 pounds to get the deal.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5669 on: February 27, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »
Aha! Brachen_joy, you are the source of the two ingredient cookie recipe! I've been trying to figure out wher e I read that so I would know who to thank. I've been making them ever since I read your original post, and they're fabulous. I add raisins and a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder.

So glad you're liking them! I actually found that recipe through Pinterest. We don't really eat bread anymore, so I didn't have banana bread to use up old bananas. And who doesn't need another way to eat oats? =D

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5670 on: February 27, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
Last week we bought 1kg of ground coffee for $20 for DH to use in the Aeropress. That's about half the usual price for that brand.

I'm shaving my head weekly at the moment while my hair grows back after chemo (it's growing back in patches and would look silly if I let it grow now). We have clippers, so each shave is free!

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5671 on: February 27, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »
I walked through the mall in the center of town plus TK Maxx plus the supermarket, but I didn't feel like getting anything. I didn't even see anything I wanted at the public library, which would have been free. At least I think I've got a better guess as to my UK shoe size now, so it wasn't a total waste. I spent £2 washing and drying a load of laundry, saving about 20 or 40p by running out of the appropriate coins while some of my clothes were still a little damp.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5672 on: February 27, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »

So glad you're liking them! I actually found that recipe through Pinterest. We don't really eat bread anymore, so I didn't have banana bread to use up old bananas. And who doesn't need another way to eat oats? =D

Yep! Though I confess I go through my bananas at a remarkable speed, so much so that I bought a brown banana today in addition to my usual bunch of greenies for the week - I only had one of last week's that had lasted long enough to get ripe, and I needed two to make enough cookies for the week!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5673 on: February 27, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »
I'm "home" for the weekend with friends. Packed some food and tea bags. Had a great night at the bars last night.  Lunch with friends today, then hiking and visiting more friends.  Total spent so far?  20.43. I still have food left for the three hour drive home tomorrow.

2 months soda free!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5674 on: February 28, 2016, 12:58:15 PM »

Yep! Though I confess I go through my bananas at a remarkable speed, so much so that I bought a brown banana today in addition to my usual bunch of greenies for the week - I only had one of last week's that had lasted long enough to get ripe, and I needed two to make enough cookies for the week!

Do you think this 2 ingredient cookie can be made with quinoa instead of oats? If so, would I have to precook the quinoa first before mixing with bananas or could I add raw quinoa to the banana and bake?

I'm asking because I have ripe bananas and no oats at home today and wanted to try this recipe.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5675 on: February 28, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »

Do you think this 2 ingredient cookie can be made with quinoa instead of oats? If so, would I have to precook the quinoa first before mixing with bananas or could I add raw quinoa to the banana and bake?

I'm asking because I have ripe bananas and no oats at home today and wanted to try this recipe.

Hmmm. Well, I know you have to rinse quinoa before eating or it has that awful bitter coat... so it would be wet when mixing. That could be a problem. And since it takes longer to soften then rolled oats, I would worry it'd be too "toothsome" uncooked. So maybe cooking it first, but then it's much wetter and could mess with the texture. Could be worth a try I think, but I don't have high hopes! I don't eat much quinoa though.

Maybe a baking genius like SerpentsTooth will weigh in!

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5676 on: February 28, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »
Hmmm. Well, I know you have to rinse quinoa before eating or it has that awful bitter coat... so it would be wet when mixing. That could be a problem. And since it takes longer to soften then rolled oats, I would worry it'd be too "toothsome" uncooked. So maybe cooking it first, but then it's much wetter and could mess with the texture. Could be worth a try I think, but I don't have high hopes! I don't eat much quinoa though.

At that point, it might be easier to find an ordinary banana bread or cookie recipe with flour and so forth. Or just eat the bananas with the mix-ins. But would you link us to the cookie recipe again?

As far as saving money goes, I enjoyed a lot of free and pleasant activities today. I took a bike ride to Grantchester and enjoyed the scenery and visited an old church. Then I visited some gardens. I also attended functions at church that involved free lunch with wine and free tea with scones. In the evening, I went to Evensong at another chapel, which was also free and lovely. I donated a little change at two churches, but I didn't really "spend" anything per se.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5677 on: February 28, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
My savings are going to be for my neighbors, actually! When hiking today, found a nice nike workout shirt, new looking, but squished up on the side of the road. Rescued it to bring home. It's the wrong size for DH though, so I'm going to wash it and offer it on my local Buy Nothing Group Chapter. Save someone else money and save a perfectly good shirt from roadside decay.

At that point, it might be easier to find an ordinary banana bread or cookie recipe with flour and so forth. Or just eat the bananas with the mix-ins. But would you link us to the cookie recipe again?

Of course!
http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/
I do toasted coconut flakes usually =)
I highly recommend doing butter to grease the pan. Adds some extra flavor that really rounds it up, and browns up nicely. Also recommend doing these in a metal pan, not glass, otherwise they're pretty soft comparatively and break apart easily.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:24:37 PM by Bracken_Joy »

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5678 on: February 28, 2016, 02:26:18 PM »
http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/
I highly recommend doing butter to grease the pan. Adds some extra flavor that really rounds it up, and browns up nicely. Also recommend doing these in a metal pan, not glass, otherwise they're pretty soft comparatively and break apart easily.

Thank you! This sounds good. I've been wanting to bake something without getting too fancy about ingredients.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5679 on: February 28, 2016, 02:29:31 PM »

Thank you! This sounds good. I've been wanting to bake something without getting too fancy about ingredients.

It scratches the baking itch while being super low barrier to entry! Also great for using up pantry "scraps"- I've put in pecan chunks, craisins, lara bars, halloween candy (not all at the the same time haha), whatever I have on hand. Seems to accommodate basically any dry add-in.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5680 on: February 28, 2016, 07:34:56 PM »
All right...so I made this with cooked quinoa and it came out decent. The cookie holds together. It seems more brownie - like than cookie-like, but I am assuming it's due to the banana and not to replacing the oats with quinoa. I also added smashed macadamia nuts I had and a dab of coconut oil (because I add that to a lot of stuff).

I'll try it again in the future when I have oats around.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:36:46 PM by Daisy »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5681 on: February 28, 2016, 11:53:23 PM »
Ordered checks online from Vistaprint, with a coupon, instead of from my bank. And I resisted spending a dollar on a customized icon or monogram, because who cares? Not sure how much I saved, but the last time I checked they were laughably expensive from the bank. I was tempted to upgrade to the $8.99 for 150 checks package, but then I realized that at the rate I used the last book, 150 would be a ten-year-supply and I will almost certainly move or change banks or something before I used them up.

Not exactly something *I* did, but my parents came to visit yesterday and my mom had asked if she could pick me up something at the grocery store since she was going anyway and she knows it's hard for me lately (hurts when I walk, so grocery shopping is no fun). I felt bad asking her for any favors since she was in the hospital earlier this week (the Slice family is in rough shape these days!), but she asked multiple times and it was clear she would really like to bring me something, so I told her a few small things I needed (soap, bread, pasta). She decided that in addition to that, since I've been looking for things to try in my new Instant Pot, she would just bring me everything I needed to make a really nice beef stew. And some nice Lake Champlain chocolates, just because. So that's pretty much all my dinners and desserts sorted out for the week :-)  If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll make a baked ziti while the stew is simmering (which was my planned "big bake-ahead dinner for the week" thing) and use that for lunches...

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #5682 on: February 29, 2016, 01:24:27 AM »
Sewed up the heel holes in a pair of house socks instead of throwing them out.  They are the kind with the rubber grips on the bottom that invalids wear. So warm and comfy! It took all of 10 minutes.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5683 on: February 29, 2016, 09:53:48 AM »
I was away for work at a conference last week. So forgive me if this post is not "TODAY" ;) 

Normally this would involve a daily Starbucks trip but I resisted everywhere. There was one just around the corner from the hotel, there was one in the airport, there were 2 more on "main street". It was hard to resist but I did.

At the conference I helped myself to tea. I used my own travel mug so I could refill & take it with me at the end of the day.

Drinking from your own travel mug is so much more satisfying than a tippy, shallow conference cup.

I also got hot water from the airport (after thru security) and made my own tea.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5684 on: February 29, 2016, 09:56:11 AM »
Packed a lunch so DH won't buy food while on campus all day. Only 2 more weeks, and we will have made it the entire term without him buying food on campus.

Last night: got an awesome coloring book called "Unicorns are Jerks" for free from my local Buy Nothing Group. It will make the perfect bday gift for one of my friends. Will only have to spend postage this way. Also got some watercolor pencils for myself, which I am very excited to play with.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5685 on: February 29, 2016, 02:11:16 PM »
Packed a lunch (as usual) but it wasn't enough. Instead of raiding the snack machine, I took advantage of the free popcorn available every day at 2 p.m. (random perk).

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5686 on: February 29, 2016, 03:02:21 PM »
Switched breakfast from Fage yogurt with honey and berries to oatmeal with nuts and butter.  The Honey/Berries and Nuts/Butter is a wash, price wise, but the oatmeal is MUCH cheaper than the Fage. 

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #5687 on: February 29, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »
Ramen!!

NDQ

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5688 on: February 29, 2016, 04:07:13 PM »
Was really craving sourdough. Instead of going and buying an artisan loaf (~$6), I posted on my local But Nothing Group (gosh I love that group) and found a woman with a well established sourdough starter- it's a 35 year old starter, originally from a program on food production with an inuit tribe. Pretty cool. I also picked up flour which was on sale (woo). Doing the NYT No Knead recipe, and subbing some of the starter for yeast.

Undecided if I'll keep the starter going and keep baking or not. If I do decide to keep doing breads, I will definitely need to buy a kitchen scale. Hmm.

Also, mustachian people problem: We keep the house at 64, which seriously slows down ferments. Our kombucha has been going for 3 weeks and is only as tart as a 1 week kombucha made during any other time of the year- and I like ~1 month kombuchas! Long way to go, lol. I assume a sourdough starter will be affected similarly =\

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5689 on: February 29, 2016, 04:49:26 PM »
Also, mustachian people problem: We keep the house at 64, which seriously slows down ferments. Our kombucha has been going for 3 weeks and is only as tart as a 1 week kombucha made during any other time of the year- and I like ~1 month kombuchas! Long way to go, lol. I assume a sourdough starter will be affected similarly =\

For a short ferment (like bread dough) you can try putting it in a small enclosed space (microwave, bread box, large tupperware etc.) with a cup of hot water sitting next to it. That should be enough to warm the space a few degrees.

Not sure about a longer ferment unless you can put it in a tiny greenhouse near a sunny window or something... :-)

When I make bread dough I do it a day or two in advance and do a slow ferment in the refrigerator. Much more forgiving time-wise (i.e., you're unlikely to overproof it) and I think it turns out better.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5690 on: February 29, 2016, 04:53:22 PM »

For a short ferment (like bread dough) you can try putting it in a small enclosed space (microwave, bread box, large tupperware etc.) with a cup of hot water sitting next to it. That should be enough to warm the space a few degrees.

Not sure about a longer ferment unless you can put it in a tiny greenhouse near a sunny window or something... :-)

When I make bread dough I do it a day or two in advance and do a slow ferment in the refrigerator. Much more forgiving time-wise (i.e., you're unlikely to overproof it) and I think it turns out better.

Yeah, I tried to time it so that it'll be at 18hrs tomorrow morning- that way if I need to leave it for longer, I have that flexibility.

Also, the heat in my house is radically uneven, and I think the kitchen is the warmest area- certainly near the best vent. Hopefully it'll work a bit better for the bread. Hmm, I should try and find a spot for the kombucha in the kitchen. (Currently in a cupboard elsewhere).

I like the water idea though!

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #5691 on: February 29, 2016, 10:52:11 PM »
Small hijack regarding ferments. Do they stop fermenting once you move them to the fridge? Or do they continue to ferment, just much more slowly? I'm  just wondering how soon I need to use up my pico/salsa hybrid. I fermented it about a month ago and then moved it to the fridge. I've used up one of the jars but not sure when I will get to the second one.

Thanks Mustachians.  :)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5692 on: March 01, 2016, 07:12:34 AM »

Another option that I've heard of, but haven't personally tried, is to stick it in your OFF oven with the oven light on. I guess the light gives a gentle temperature boost.

Small hijack regarding ferments. Do they stop fermenting once you move them to the fridge? Or do they continue to ferment, just much more slowly? I'm  just wondering how soon I need to use up my pico/salsa hybrid. I fermented it about a month ago and then moved it to the fridge. I've used up one of the jars but not sure when I will get to the second one.

My milk kefir definitely keeps fermenting in the fridge once I've removed the grains. It's much, much slower, but still happens. If I let it sit in there for a week it gets a bit fizzy.

Actually, when I get overrun by kefir and need to use some up, I just toss my grains in the fridge with some milk. Still ferments, but takes a week instead of 24 hours.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5693 on: March 01, 2016, 09:07:59 AM »

Another option that I've heard of, but haven't personally tried, is to stick it in your OFF oven with the oven light on. I guess the light gives a gentle temperature boost.

I've heard this too. Alas, I am in an oven-light-less home right now.

My milk kefir definitely keeps fermenting in the fridge once I've removed the grains. It's much, much slower, but still happens. If I let it sit in there for a week it gets a bit fizzy.

Actually, when I get overrun by kefir and need to use some up, I just toss my grains in the fridge with some milk. Still ferments, but takes a week instead of 24 hours.

Yep, that's my experience too- slows but doesn't stop. I've heard that sour dough can be fed just once per week if it's in the fridge, but if it's on the counter it has to be fed daily.

And I haven't done salsa ferments, but I have done kraut and kimchee and pickles. Any of those will keep a LONG time in the fridge pretty stable, so long as they don't have tight sealed lids or metal exposure. (I use these caps instead of metal mason jar caps: http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Regular-Mouth-Storage-Caps/dp/B0000BYC4B). The biggest thing, of course, is to keep a pure colony. NEVER use bare hands to take stuff from the jar, don't lick the fork between ladling out kimchee, etc. Clean utensil, rinsed in between. And avoid putting anything near your ferments in the fridge that can mold- ie, don't forget a block of cheese in the back. Sigh. I lost some lovely sauerkraut because of that once.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #5694 on: March 01, 2016, 09:40:30 AM »

I love the fizziness! I haven't had it happen enough to see a pattern, but I will try this so thanks! I guess I should split it into multiple batches so they can ferment longer in the fridge.

And so I don't derail the thread...
Having my lunch at Panda Express paid for from a mystery shop, plus $5. This is my first time doing Panda Express so I will have to see if the survey afterward is excessively long. Panda happens to be my go-to place for eating on campus, so I can pay with a gift card I bought for 20% off face value, which nets an extra $1.80 because of the reimbursement.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #5695 on: March 01, 2016, 09:42:13 AM »
Apart from bringing my lunch and carpooling with my BF to work, today I reserved a inter-city carpool for Thursday morning. I have a flight out of Montréal on Thursday afternoon, and instead of driving and parking there, I reserved two spots in someone else's car (one for me, one for my snowboard). 36$ for the trip. No driving. Good deal.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5696 on: March 01, 2016, 11:24:39 AM »
got free food.  Well, I ate lunch out yesterday (going away lunch).

But work had an anniversary party last week.  I missed it.  Our admin manager told me that we had leftovers in the fridge, so I grabbed a bunch of chicken tikka masala and took it home for dinner.  It was yummy.  I think that's all that was left.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5697 on: March 01, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »
Used lunch hour to go cash in Costco rebate. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5698 on: March 01, 2016, 02:00:46 PM »
Used lunch hour to go cash in Costco rebate.

Ugh I still need to do this. Thank you for the reminder. On the to do list for Thursday. I should have saved my gas fill for then too. Oh well.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5699 on: March 01, 2016, 05:07:32 PM »
I had a leftover sandwich and some peanuts for dinner tonight. I had made the sandwich yesterday morning forgetting that I had a work-related lunch planned. Then I ended up having a work-related dinner last night and a work-related lunch today. Some very nice occasions and delicious food from the generosity of others, which was very nice.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!