Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020836 times)

Ceridwen

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4700 on: November 04, 2015, 06:29:56 AM »
I checked out a thrift store near my office for the first time.  It was awesome! It's in the YWCA and they have women in an employment program clean and alter the clothes as need-be, as well as run the shop.  I had very attentive service and came out with a gorgeous full-length black wool coat.  Listed at $45 but I got it for $35 because the belt was missing (I didn't even have to ask for the discount).  I'm sure the coat is easily worth $300.  I have gained weight since baby #2 came along and thought I would have to go without a dressy winter coat this year, so I'm really happy to have this since I work in a professional office.

My mom gave me a ton of fresh parsley (last of her summer garden) and last night I started making a bit batch of tabbouleh for my work lunches.  Since the parsley was unexpected, I didn't buy extra tomatoes and cucumber for the recipe, so I was kind of annoyed that I would have to use those items that I had planned for other meals on the tabbouleh, but then I decided to use the roasted red peppers and sundried tomatoes from the fridge instead.  I'm not a huge food waster, but those are two items that notoriously spoil in my fridge because I always forget about them.  Recipe turned out great (a new twist!), and I got to save my fresh veggies for their originally intended purpose!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4701 on: November 04, 2015, 07:53:26 AM »
Breakfast:  Leftover baked potato which came from a 50 lb. sack for which I paid $7.00.  Baked an oven full on a cold day earlier this week when the oven could heat the kitchen and living room so I could turn off the heat.  Currently frying it.  Will top with an egg.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4702 on: November 04, 2015, 08:03:36 AM »
When I moved to a LCOL area a year ago and got the electricity connected I noted that I signed up to a 12 month plan that included a 15% discount if I paid my bills on time (which I do of course!), plus various other perks. I put a note in my calendar to check things out in a years time. Fast-forward, and I get a reminder today to check into it, so I go to a comparison web site and it is all just too confusing. I went to my providers web site and they had a web chat thingy which I far prefer over trying to get through on the phone so I put the question to them. Oh yes, your plan is due to expire and you will automatically move to the standard plan that has none of the discounts and a higher rate. BUT, because I thought to ask they could sign me up to a new plan, same as the old one, but now with a 20% discount. Shits me that the default is to screw the loyal customer.

Similar story, I got my house insurance renewal a week ago. It had gone up $150 since last year. I did the comparison web site thing, rang my provider and told them I was going to cancel as I could get it cheaper elsewhere, and magically the price came down $200. They know that 98% of people can't be bothered and just pay the bill when it turns up.

/end rant

Identical thing happened with my internet.  I told them to give me my old price back or I was switching providers.  They said no so I canceled service.  Next day their 'customer retention department' called to ask if there was anything they could do to keep me.  The new promotion was cheaper....so now I only pay $35/month for internet.

On the one hand, it makes me angry when stuff like that happens.   On the other hand, if I'm vigilant companies will bend over backwards to keep you and you can save money in the long run.  A millionaire $10 at a time, right?

I just canceled a magazine subscription (digital magazines on library website for free, yo!) and when I answered the "Why are you leaving us?" question with "Subscription costs too much money," the next screen offered a renewal for two years at the price I was currently paying for one.

I also have to go remind the cable company every six months that they are supposed to charge us $5 less per month since we own our box rather than rent. That's coming up again soon.

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4703 on: November 04, 2015, 09:30:39 AM »
We recently had a *ton* of medical expenses, related to a lengthy hospitalization. We're ok, insurance is paying a lot, but we still have quite a bit to pay for ourselves. Was going to just pay the bill, but decided to call and ask what time payment options were available. Might as well know, right? We wouldn't have taken any option that involved finance charges, but knowing the options is good.

They offered to reduce the bill by 20% if we paid it in full.

Now I wonder how many other medical bills I've paid could have been discounted as well!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #4704 on: November 04, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »
*  Homemade lentil soup and rice taken to work for lunch.
*  No spend day
*  Transferred another chunk of money (saved from these little daily things) to the credit card (it is almost paid!!!)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4705 on: November 04, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »
Ran out of household cleaner so I want to try making my own cleaning solution.

I watched a few YouTube videos that seemed to recommend 4 cups of "warm" vinegar and mixing it with 1 cup of water. I thought I saw someone in here previously mention using lemon juice?
Anyone mind helping me out?

I'll probably go to the dollar store for the items, should I get a dollar spray bottle?

One last question - miracle/magic bath rub cleaner - equal vinegar and dawn - anyone ever tried it? I'm going to make this as well. :)

Sorry for asking in here, but just didn't feel like creating a new thread for something so simple - thanks!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4706 on: November 04, 2015, 01:57:54 PM »

I watched a few YouTube videos that seemed to recommend 4 cups of "warm" vinegar and mixing it with 1 cup of water. I thought I saw someone in here previously mention using lemon juice?

I'll probably go to the dollar store for the items, should I get a dollar spray bottle?

One last question - miracle/magic bath rub cleaner - equal vinegar and dawn - anyone ever tried it? I'm going to make this as well. :)

Sorry for asking in here, but just didn't feel like creating a new thread for something so simple - thanks!

Vinegar/water tends to pretty much clean anything (especially glass, like windows or mirrors). Soaking orange or lemon zest (like, take a peeler and peel strips of the colored peel) in the vinegar makes it smell nicer. Yes, spray bottle definitely helps.

I've done the vinegar and dawn thing, but like it slightly less as an all-purpose cleaner because it needs rinsing and seems to leave soap scum on tiles occasionally. I've got a spray bottle with a light bleach solution (1 tbs bleach, filled with water) that I use on the tub/shower walls/kitchen counters (until we got butcher block, anyway), and spraying it on, letting it sit for a few minutes, and wiping things down seemed to work perfectly fine (as long as it wasn't super grimy to start, anyway).

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4707 on: November 04, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »

Vinegar/water tends to pretty much clean anything (especially glass, like windows or mirrors). Soaking orange or lemon zest (like, take a peeler and peel strips of the colored peel) in the vinegar makes it smell nicer. Yes, spray bottle definitely helps.

I've done the vinegar and dawn thing, but like it slightly less as an all-purpose cleaner because it needs rinsing and seems to leave soap scum on tiles occasionally. I've got a spray bottle with a light bleach solution (1 tbs bleach, filled with water) that I use on the tub/shower walls/kitchen counters (until we got butcher block, anyway), and spraying it on, letting it sit for a few minutes, and wiping things down seemed to work perfectly fine (as long as it wasn't super grimy to start, anyway).

Don't forget you can reuse the sprayer from an existing cleaner, just put it on any new bottle that it fits.

This time of year I save all our tangerine peels in a jug of vinegar to make citrus cleaner.

Erica's Hands-On Home book has a lot of great homemade cleaner recipes.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4708 on: November 04, 2015, 03:22:26 PM »
-Got a $0.50 catalina for "O" organics from the grocery store today.
-Put my grocery purchases in Checkout51 and Ibotta. I'm just about to the point I can cash out my first $10 on Ibotta. Not big bucks, but it's easy and it's all stuff I was going to buy anyway.
-Cooking a veeeeeeeeeeeeery freezer burnt chicken for soup for dinner. Worst case, I'll shred the meat for the dog and use the broth.

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #4709 on: November 04, 2015, 05:06:18 PM »
Went to cancel Hulu. The cancellation web page gave me two months free.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4710 on: November 04, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »
I survived a Costco trip. It really is the most affordable egg, cheese, and salsa option. Also laundry detergent. Anyway, the price makes it worth it but OH GOD THE PEOPLE. So when I get done with checking out, the chicken bakes are always such a temptation... I didn't buy one though! And I rallied my energy to go fill the gas tank. $0.50 cheaper than our other stations.

Sadly, the Ibotta rebate for eggs only applies to dozens, not 18 packs. $0.20 loss there.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4711 on: November 04, 2015, 06:04:59 PM »
1.  Made applesauce from apples that were on sale.  Yummy!  Screwed up and spilled one of the two batches though. :/

2.  Made a bunch of pasta sauce and froze it in single servings.  Great for lunches/dinners when it is just me.

3.  Air dried kids' laundry.

4.  Managed to not require an ER trip after falling face first due to not cleaning up the spilled applesauce well enough....

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4712 on: November 04, 2015, 07:17:52 PM »
I ATE THE PEEL!

Inspired by the banana peel badassity here, I threw my banana peel into my smoothie today, and I didn't die.
I am getting tired though of the look on my husband's face when I say things like "I read these are edible; they just don't taste good and the texture's bad."

Also, I did the usual bike commute, found 4 cans (40 cents in deposits) plus a dollar bill in my bike travels. Then stopped at kmart on my way home to use $8 in surprise points that were going to expire today. Got myself a 4 foot long body pillow that I've been coveting for a while, for free. Had fun getting my lunch box, my backpack of work clothes, and the four foot long pillow home the last couple miles in my bike.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4713 on: November 04, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »
I ATE THE PEEL!

Inspired by the banana peel badassity here, I threw my banana peel into my smoothie today, and I didn't die.
I am getting tired though of the look on my husband's face when I say things like "I read these are edible; they just don't taste good and the texture's bad."

That's fantastic.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4714 on: November 05, 2015, 05:38:51 AM »
I converted my kids from lucky charms to oatmeal!  Because on oatmeal you can have brown sugar and cinnamon!!!  :D  I've been trying to get them to give up lucky charms voluntarily for awhile.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4715 on: November 05, 2015, 06:28:15 AM »
I converted my kids from lucky charms to oatmeal!  Because on oatmeal you can have brown sugar and cinnamon!!!  :D  I've been trying to get them to give up lucky charms voluntarily for awhile.

WIN! (Buying it in bulk is even bigger savings, but even grocery store prices are way cheaper than packaged cereal!)

Also: adding frozen blueberries turns it blue (which can appeal to younger children), and adding baked apples and cinnamon is yummy (and healthy)... you can work variations so it doesn't get boring. :) 

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4716 on: November 05, 2015, 06:28:38 AM »

I thought this was a thread about saving money, not bad parenting? lol - jk. I've got a kid and I was a huge fan of Lucky Charms growing up (maybe I still am?) --- but I haven't let her try it. Good job on the conversion. :)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4717 on: November 05, 2015, 07:15:56 AM »

I thought this was a thread about saving money, not bad parenting? lol - jk. I've got a kid and I was a huge fan of Lucky Charms growing up (maybe I still am?) --- but I haven't let her try it. Good job on the conversion. :)

It is indeed about saving money!  Lucky charms are expensive!!!  (But yes, this gets me +1 on the better parenting scale too.)  Did you eat all the marshmallows first or did you save them all until the end?

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4718 on: November 05, 2015, 08:50:24 AM »

It is indeed about saving money!  Lucky charms are expensive!!!  (But yes, this gets me +1 on the better parenting scale too.)  Did you eat all the marshmallows first or did you save them all until the end?

Save them until the end. That's the only right way to eat them. :)

Actually, I'd save them to the end. Pour in a 2nd bowl and save the marshmallows from both bowls and then eat them all. :)

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #4719 on: November 05, 2015, 11:36:49 AM »
*  Its getting chilly, but I've yet to turn on the heat at the house.
*  Took public transit to work.
*  Enjoying free work coffee in own stainless steel mug.
*  Brought homemade lunch.
*  Leftovers in the freezer, ready for dinner.
*  No spend day (already had the bus ticket . . . )

All of this has become so very routine - ha ha!  (That's a good thing!)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4720 on: November 05, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »
Small things, small things today. Packed lunch, pegged out washing, saved on train fare by getting a lift (and quality time) with my husband (car and fuel are provided through his work).

Oooh, last night I got out the Christmas cards I purchased in last year's post-Christmas sales. Between friends and family and work contacts we end up sending out about 100 cards so I buy beautiful cards in the sales then put them away.

This time I picked up 10 boxes for $1 per box (marked down from $8 per box, so I saved $70).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4721 on: November 05, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »
Packed lunch, filled my green-tea-brewing-mason-jar with water at work (it's cold brewing overnight), passed on Thai w/roommates and ate a bagel instead.

It's the little things that add up, right? :D

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #4722 on: November 06, 2015, 06:11:13 AM »
As per usual, I walked to work, brought my lunch, drinking free tea at work, had breakfast and will have dinner at home and have a NSD.  Oh, and I have yet to turn on my heating - it is unnaturally "warm" here in Glasgow for November.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4723 on: November 06, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
This was yesterday but it was within the last 24 hours so I figure it counts and I am proud of it.  While out yesterday, had a strong impulse to visit expensive hamburger place for lunch.  Instead pulled an individually wrapped Twinkie (from a $0.99 box of 10 from Grocery Outlet) out of my backpack and finished my thermos of tea.  $20 to the good.

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #4724 on: November 06, 2015, 11:36:29 AM »
Sold a horse today!

That is huge! Congrats!!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:39:43 AM by J Mo »

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #4725 on: November 06, 2015, 12:11:13 PM »
Today (and in the last few days) I improvised lunches with all the little odds and ends of food I've been finding in the kitchen/pantry. It's mostly due to a lack of organization, but still, I'd rather eat a bit of bread, some expired-but-still-good hummus and lamb's quarter that buying a 7$ salad.

Our rule in the house is that my DH stops eating stuff when it expires, I stop eating stuff when I decide it's rotting. And I admit it, sometimes I push my guts to their limits. Guess which one of us is healthier? :-D

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4726 on: November 06, 2015, 02:44:18 PM »
Called around to get best price on snow tire mounting. Big chain is $30 cheaper than the local place. (Don't worry, I give the local place plenty of love for actual repair work.)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4727 on: November 06, 2015, 02:46:46 PM »
This is my third cup of tea on this tea bag!

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4728 on: November 06, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
Reminded AT&T about my reward card, that was promised but then quietly forgotten.
On the other hand, weekend will be mega anti-mustachian with an old friend visiting :)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4729 on: November 07, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
Looked at my home insurance renewal today. It went up by $10 a month.

I called, updated some information: new roof 2014 & no mortgage.

Saved $350/ per year.

I asked about paying upfront. No advantage.

I asked about Credit card vs direct bank, which we currently have.

Cc is one extra payment. NO THANKS!

"Some people choose that for the points"

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4730 on: November 07, 2015, 05:41:59 PM »
Instead of their usual monthly breakfast out, today MIL and BIL will be brunching at home with the BF. I've made banana bread and will be making myself scarce, in the hope that they'll decide to switch to at-home family brunch more frequently. Even if we're hosting everyone it's much cheaper.

Starting more seedlings from scratch today. Cleaning my own house (does that count?). Making my work lunches for the week ahead, with beans cooked from scratch and cheap veges from the farmers' market. Doing laundry in cold water and line-drying.

Something out of the ordinary for me: I've started crocheting Christmas tree ornaments for this year's gifts.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #4731 on: November 07, 2015, 07:12:43 PM »
I want to get back in the habit of posting in here!

Made a giant batch of lentil curry in the crockpot along with some rice.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4732 on: November 07, 2015, 11:59:34 PM »
I want to get back in the habit of posting in here!

+1

*My daughter and I made 3 pies for my sons birthday - cherry, apple & lemon meringue.

*Husband took son and friend to a sporting event for his gift. They walked 15 minutes to be able to park for free.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4733 on: November 08, 2015, 03:34:03 AM »
Used my misto instead of using the more convenient (but expensive - both financially and environmentally) aerosol oil spray.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4734 on: November 08, 2015, 04:14:29 AM »

Something out of the ordinary for me: I've started crocheting Christmas tree ornaments for this year's gifts.

I'm doing a lot of homemade stuff for Christmas this year. I love looking on Pinterest.:)

moneyandmillennials

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money and Millennials: An Illustrated Advice Book
« Reply #4735 on: November 08, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
wearing my slippers down to the ground. 

my slippers (island slippers) have a foam upper and a hard plastic bottom.  Parts of my slipper have worn down to the hard plastic part.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4736 on: November 08, 2015, 03:05:34 PM »
Needed a couple of dresses for my corporate wardrobe. Bought them on eBay for about $15 each instead of $60-$90 in shops.

Visited friends last night with a DVD they wanted to watch - I borrowed it from my parents to save the hire cost.

Packed leftovers for lunch today.

My husband is away all week with work so our grocery budget will be very small with just cereal for breakfast, chicken and salad for lunch and omelettes for dinner for me.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4737 on: November 08, 2015, 05:04:26 PM »
Canning!  Working on 15 pints of Cajun beans that turned out really good.  Once these are done, I'll work on Portuguese bean soup.  Lots of work today, but it will save me lots of money in the future if I've got premade meals that just need to be heated. 

*Bonus - all the fresh ingredients came from my garden.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4738 on: November 08, 2015, 05:25:04 PM »
* Brought home some leftover tortillas from last night's date night. Currently crisping them in the oven to go with some salsa we were gifted.

* Planted out garlic this afternoon and found some leftover sunchokes in the bed. Currently cooking them up for dinner.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:50:53 PM by jengod »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4739 on: November 08, 2015, 06:28:58 PM »
No spend day an stayed home all day.  Ate leftovers for breakfast and then worked on the veggie garden so it will be ready to plant in the spring.  Found some onions that escaped harvest earlier and cooked them with dinner.  Stuck some green onions in a jar of water to re grow them. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4740 on: November 08, 2015, 07:12:58 PM »
This one will eventually save me $300/year.

My husband plans to sell his motorbike and buy a different one in February. Over the weekend he got an online quote for insurance on the new bike.

The new policy will save us about $25 per month compared with what we're paying now, just because he will be that little bit older and it will be more than five years since a traffic infringement.

The saving x dollars per year conversation is where he really starts to get on board with this financial lifestyle. Previously he wouldn't see the point in $25/month. But $300/year? That almost covers his new track helmet ($600 down to $400, work expense, tax deductible).

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4741 on: November 08, 2015, 09:23:23 PM »
Stayed home and worked in the yard blowing leaves to save money.    Leaf season keeps me out of trouble.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4742 on: November 08, 2015, 09:59:13 PM »
Came home from church with the family and had leftovers even though I reeeeeally wanted to pick up burgers and fries in the drive thru.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4743 on: November 08, 2015, 11:27:16 PM »
I was all set to go to the post office today to post a 30th birthday card for a friend working in England. He has decided to come home so I put a local stamp on it and sent it to his parents' house instead. Saved a few bucks on airmail.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4744 on: November 09, 2015, 09:49:32 AM »
Used my misto instead of using the more convenient (but expensive - both financially and environmentally) aerosol oil spray.
I LOVE my misto!  I stopped buying the spray cans because I prefer my misto. 

I've been under the weather, so I didn't get my usual batch cooking for the week finished.  However, I made a quick batch of cornbread (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/09/everyday-cornbread/), which I will eat with canned soup for lunch today.  I will also have cornbread and soup for dinner tonight. 

For the rest of the year, my budget is really tight because I'm working on the post-tax portion of my megabackdoor Roth (http://www.madfientist.com/after-tax-contributions/), which includes paying a lot more in taxes each month.  I need all of the motivation I can get to keep from spending unnecessarily.

I've run out of my favorite tea, but I have a lot of tea from gifts.  This morning I brewed a pot of tea from the gifted tea leaves, and it's great.  No tea purchases until I run out.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4745 on: November 09, 2015, 10:31:23 AM »
I had to get up early today to haul the kids over to their mother's (handoff delayed because she was out of town) and it was cold out (well, compared to the lovely weather of the last week). I also was on clinical service this morning, which makes life super crazy on normal days. 
1)  I still ate breakfast and made coffee at home instead of grabbing things at work.
2)  I brought my leftovers for lunch instead of saying 'fuck it' and buying lunch at work.
3)  I biked to work for day #15 instead of taking mass transit or my car into work. 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4746 on: November 09, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
I had to get up early today to haul the kids over to their mother's (handoff delayed because she was out of town) and it was cold out (well, compared to the lovely weather of the last week). I also was on clinical service this morning, which makes life super crazy on normal days. 
1)  I still ate breakfast and made coffee at home instead of grabbing things at work.
2)  I brought my leftovers for lunch instead of saying 'fuck it' and buying lunch at work.
3)  I biked to work for day #15 instead of taking mass transit or my car into work.

Nice!  I'm finding that getting little stuff like that right is both the hardest and the most powerful in my own life.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4747 on: November 09, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »
DH went and bought the filter and oil to change the oil on our car. Coming from a family that always outsourced this, I still think it is SO COOL that you can do that yourself. Bonus: since we have a truck, we don't need jacks or ramps or anything to get under the car.

Submitted the paperwork to get my gas bonus for a contract that was out of town. I only found out there was a different process for it because I inspected my paystub and saw the numbers didn't work to include it. For all you Harry Potter fans: CONSTANT VIGILANCE

DH and I found an AWESOME recipe to use the freezerburnt chickens we're working through. We shredded the meat once cooked, and had it on sandwiches with homemade chipotle mayo and shredded cheese, then grilled on the BBQ. (Bonus: the walnut oil we made the mayo with was a stock-up when it was on super sale, and the chipotle powder was out of a spice box we got for our wedding). Now just 12 more whole freezerburnt frozen chickens to go!

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4748 on: November 09, 2015, 11:26:26 AM »
Nice!  I'm finding that getting little stuff like that right is both the hardest and the most powerful in my own life.

Yep!  If I start to let things slip on the difficult days, then I let them slip on the medium difficulty days, and then it is back to my bad habits.  I consider today a victory! :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4749 on: November 09, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »
Yesterday the girlfriend and I cooked up a delicious batch of butternut squash risotto (resisting the urge to buy the squash pre-cut was also a win! A quadruple win is having a girlfriend who keeps great kitchenware and sharp knives on hand.) and divvied up the leftovers for our respective lunches. \o/

I also resisted the urge to stress-buy sweets.