Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2802670 times)

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10000 on: October 19, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »
I switched cellphone plans. I'll save 11.50$/month on the base plan. The plan comes with free nationwide calling and more airtime. About bi-monthly I would pay ~8$ when I went over my time or called people in a different area code. So I'll save ~16.10$ per month. My daughter commented that that is small but, as a life lesson, I explained that multiplication can make small numbers big. Over two years that is ~386.40$.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10001 on: October 20, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »
I was very grumpy and sad this morning and I'm a bit of an emotional eater, so I couldn't help myself and loaded up my grocery basket with unhealthy stuff. Pasta salad, marshmellows, iced coffee, etc. Even when I make bad decisions I'm still inherently frugal, because nearly everything I bought was on discount :D

( the damage wasn't too bad, about €10, and this only happens once every two months or so).

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10002 on: October 20, 2017, 03:09:55 PM »
I was very grumpy and sad this morning and I'm a bit of an emotional eater, so I couldn't help myself and loaded up my grocery basket with unhealthy stuff. Pasta salad, marshmellows, iced coffee, etc. Even when I make bad decisions I'm still inherently frugal, because nearly everything I bought was on discount :D

( the damage wasn't too bad, about €10, and this only happens once every two months or so).

I feel like this each time I am home alone, e.g. when DH eats dinner at his work. Yeaterday I had a day off and was very tempted to buy cheesecake (sold per two and very expensive) and drove to the shop to buy it. I saw some pastry breads on discount and brought several, to put per two in the freezer for the weekend. I also decided to have two for lunch. Then I figured those two plus two cheese cakes was way too much food I put the cheese cakes back. This way I had my comfort-eating lunch, but spent only a quarter of what the cheese cake would have cost. Good deal. Tomorrow it is weekend, so I took two maple pastry breads out of the freezer, that we will eat with two people.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10003 on: October 20, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »
-Took advantage of free carpool to/from work
-Ate free breakfast, lunch & snacks at work
-We valiantly tried to fix our garage door on our own, but were unable to. Called around for the cheapest repair, and saved $75 off the next lowest price. Can now get our car out of the garage. :-)
-I received our first property tax bill for our house, and noticed our exemption wasn't correctly applied. It's only $80 off of a HUGE amount of money, but I emailed & asked for a a recalculation. It got approved right away!
-Made my husband an anniversary card vs buying one
-Bought $50 worth of Uber gift cards at Rite Aid, generating $10 in credit. I'll use the gift cards for trips to & from the airport.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #10004 on: October 20, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »
Noticed a coupon in a market circular for a pound of ground lean turkey for $1.99! Limit 2. So we walked the 2 miles round trip to the store. The double whammy of money saving and exercise, booyah!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10005 on: October 20, 2017, 07:45:30 PM »
No spend day today!

Meal planned for the next week, focusing on eating what we already have to keep the grocery budget down. Made lists for the farmers market and grocery store tomorrow, and will walk to both.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10006 on: October 20, 2017, 08:30:08 PM »
Have had a shiiiiiity week. (Got hit by a car yesterday). And after sitting in Urgent Care for a couple hours to get my neck checked out, I really just wanted to pick up a frozen pizza. I didn't want any of our leftovers in the fridge, and nothing else was thawed. Instant Pot to the rescue. We threw in some frozen chicken thighs, and cooked some rice. Some pesto from costco, and tada, it tasted different from what we've been eating and we didn't buy anything for it.

(Unfortunately, our recycling service costs will be going up, amount TBD. Boo)
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #10007 on: October 20, 2017, 11:50:22 PM »
Have had a shiiiiiity week. (Got hit by a car yesterday). And after sitting in Urgent Care for a couple hours to get my neck checked out, I really just wanted to pick up a frozen pizza.

Oh no! Hope you're okay and heal up. Car wrecks suck, but bonus points to you for not taking the easy way and buying take-out.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #10008 on: October 21, 2017, 07:28:13 AM »
Have had a shiiiiiity week. (Got hit by a car yesterday). And after sitting in Urgent Care for a couple hours to get my neck checked out, I really just wanted to pick up a frozen pizza. I didn't want any of our leftovers in the fridge, and nothing else was thawed. Instant Pot to the rescue. We threw in some frozen chicken thighs, and cooked some rice. Some pesto from costco, and tada, it tasted different from what we've been eating and we didn't buy anything for it.

That is pretty badass.

Hope you are OK and not too sore today.

This week I was in Denver for work, and wasn't perfectly frugal, but definitely pocketed most of my per diem. 
*Saved my employer $$ by taking the lightrail from the airport.  It seems most of my coworkers were totally unaware of this relatively new option. 
*Stayed in an extended stay type hotel and bought groceries for most of my lunches and dinners.  Avoided going out for any $$$ dinners.  Had a nice lunchtime walk with a co-worker so I saved money without seeming too antisocial.
*Hotel room provides a new kitchen sponge for each guest, so I took it with me when I left, as well as the soap bar, to save them from being tossed in the trash
*Brought ground coffee from home and made all my coffee in the hotel room

Yesterday:
Did some research and will be replacing a horse supplement that was $1.44/day, with one that is .39c/day, so long as horsey is willing to eat a powdered supplement instead of a pelletized one.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10009 on: October 21, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »
Have had a shiiiiiity week. (Got hit by a car yesterday). And after sitting in Urgent Care for a couple hours to get my neck checked out, I really just wanted to pick up a frozen pizza.

Oh no! Hope you're okay and heal up. Car wrecks suck, but bonus points to you for not taking the easy way and buying take-out.

The credit 100% goes to my husband. To be fair, my "compromise" idea was to go buy a rotisserie chicken to make the same meal. He was the one that pushed "we have a way to cook the meat we already have" then did all the cooking.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10010 on: October 21, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
Don't remember whether I mentioned this before. Since yesterday we are receiving warm water at 32 degrees Celsius into our cellar and right into our warm water kettle that warms up the floor of our house. The water that is returned from our floor is approx 25 degrees Celcius. The water is warmed up by the neighbour's mountain warmth pump.
We still don't have a contract and don't know how much we should pay for it, but previous owner promised at least 50% reduction of costs for warming up water. If we don't get this, we will sue him for the remaining. We already received a large sum for the two previous years where it was not in place, while we were promised it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:11:50 AM by Linda_Norway »

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #10011 on: October 21, 2017, 05:17:20 PM »

Ouch!  The accident must have sucked.  Kudos to the stocked pantry, though.  Makes it easy to whip up a meal, no?

I did something small yesterday:  I scrutinized my grocery store receipt while leaving the checkout.  It seemed high for just a bunch of vegetables, milk, and bulk paprika.  Turns out, the cashier's finger must have slipped because I was charged for 15 bunches of swiss chard.  This kind of mistake is easy to correct while one is still in the store.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10012 on: October 22, 2017, 04:10:49 AM »
DH is bewing beer so that we don't need to pay for overpriced beer in the shops. I am spending the day at home and don't use any fuel. Didn't drive yesterday either.

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10013 on: October 22, 2017, 05:27:53 AM »
Went to the shop to buy soy milk. See it's buy one, get one for free, so I get two cartons of soy milk for €1,69 instead of one. Then I see that there's a rebate for the soy milk, but you can only enter once, so when I mail in the barcode I get €1,69 back and it's free. One of the cartons also had a -35% off sticker on it because it's near it's expiration date so the store takes €0,59 off the total on my receipt. I have now officially made €0,59 by purchasing 2 cartons of milk.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #10014 on: October 22, 2017, 06:19:45 AM »
I returned 2 things I didn’t need.

I bought replacement bulbs for a bathroom light fixture because the originals from the previous owner’s time seemed like the wrong bulbs and they put out substantial heat.  Now the light is brighter and not hot.  Unmustachian to buy replacements when the originals were working, but mustachian if it saves $ or saves me from a fire.  Led, of course. 

I also used my shopvac to try to clean out the dryer’s lint trap area.  It is gross.  :(
Join Robinhood and we'll both get a share of stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free.  http://share.robinhood.com/jennifc287

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #10015 on: October 22, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »
Have had a shiiiiiity week. (Got hit by a car yesterday).

I hope that your neck is okay! I have a totally unsubstantiated belief that wine is good for seized-up necks because it relaxes you and dilates blood vessels, leading to increased circulation. (Caution: I have a habit of doling out terrible advice - but please take into account that I have no medical knowledge at all beyond what experimentation has yet to kill me)

My cost savings are for a toque (knit hat) and mittens. I lent my old set out last year to an under-dressed visitor, who promptly lost them, so I need a replacement before it gets cold. Since I HATE clothes shopping, I dashed into a sporting goods store, and bought replacements for $60. After feeling uncomfortable about the high cost for a day, I realized that I can de-clutter my wool stash and remedy my hat/mitt problem by knitting my own! I have begun slowly but surely following a pattern and am half-way done a hat (I'm awful at following patterns, so this is intense work for me). I'll return the bought stuff later today.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things." ~ Henry Rollins

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10016 on: October 22, 2017, 08:14:04 AM »
My husband is rapidly losing weight post weight loss surgery, today I spent some time altering some of his clothes so he looks like he bought new pants.  Hoping to hold off on new clothes until he reaches his goal weight!  Or at least keep purchases to a minimum.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10017 on: October 22, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »
Have had a shiiiiiity week. (Got hit by a car yesterday).

I hope that your neck is okay! I have a totally unsubstantiated belief that wine is good for seized-up necks because it relaxes you and dilates blood vessels, leading to increased circulation. (Caution: I have a habit of doling out terrible advice - but please take into account that I have no medical knowledge at all beyond what experimentation has yet to kill me)

Just to pull this a tiny off topic, but I can't help myself, I'm a nurse =P Just be sure if you're on NSAIDs (like aspirin, ibuprofen, aleve- the anti inflammatories) you don't also do alcohol- this is really hard on your stomach. This one isn't an urban legend type thing, especially if it's for a sustained period of time you're taking them both. Maybe I can spin that as a cost saving tip- don't combine these two over the counter things, and avoid gastric ulcers/bleeding! You'll pay so much less in copays!

All that being said, I didn't take NSAIDs the first day and had a glass of wine instead. Yesterday I (instead) tried a muscle relaxer the doc prescribed. It was on par with the muscle relaxation the wine gave, but made me fairly light headed. Don't think I'll be taking any of those again. Illicit self medication might be winning out for me this time =P That and a heat pack. OTOH, the irony is the muscle relaxers work out cheaper per dose even compared to the Bota Box.

My cost saving yesterday- I knew DH and I were both craving a crappy food meal. For us, this generally means pizza. Before MMM, we would have gotten delivery. That's only happened like... 4 times in the last 2 years though. So when I went to Costco to pick up my meds, I also bought some of their frozen pizzas.

Today- Going to do meal prep for the week, and get our flu shots at Target- they're doing the deal again where they give you $5 for each covered flu shot you get. Not sure yet what we'll buy with the $10. TBD, since we don't really need much right now. Probably stock up on extra toiletries or something.

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10018 on: October 22, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
Today I filled out a form to get professional development costs partially reimbursed by the university where I'm doing an online degree. There was one professional trip I took this summer that I took as personal leave at my own expense because I thought (wrongly) it would be cheap and mostly fun rather than work. If this is approved, I could get up to $250 back.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10019 on: October 22, 2017, 06:02:50 PM »
-Made dinner for our guests (well, my husband did most, but I did appetizers & salad) vs going out
-Used a credit accrued from buying something that will be reimbursed as a work expense to buy ice cream from Thrifty's for our guests. (Their request for dessert was Thrifty's. :-)
-My husband did quite a bit of research, and was able to do multiple repairs on our car
-Finally got all of the paperwork together & mailed off our rebate for $125 towards our automatic sprinklers
-I used to really struggle to use up all of the goat cheese (Costco - two packs) before they expired. I froze one of the loaves way back, and discovered it today. Used it to make an appetizer to go with dinner. Yum!
-Made lunch early for the kids & packed a lunch for myself, knowing we'd be out of the house for a few hours. Bonus round: ate the leftover quesadilla that I really didn't want. My youngest had decided the type of tortilla used was "different" and didn't want it. Sigh. . . picky eaters.

ice_beard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10020 on: October 22, 2017, 06:56:01 PM »
Negotiated with landlord to take care of front lawn this winter for a reduction in rent of $100/month.
The yard is tiny and we actually have the mower and weed eater this year to do the work, so I don't mind that much. 

Made dinner from a bunch of scrounged up ingredients that were going to expire/not be good much longer.  Dish is tasty, so it's a good use of food.
I brought home a large ziploc bag of leftover bread/bagels from work the other night.  This stuff shows up every couple weeks and I've always got some plastic bags in my backpack so I can take advantage of the leftovers.  Only myself and one other co-worker seem to do this.  The rest eventually gets tossed which breaks my heart, so I take as much as I can without seeming like I'm taking way too much. 

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10021 on: October 23, 2017, 01:37:47 PM »
I raised my 401(k) contribution back up to what it was earlier in the year. I got nervous at the end of August because I was unsure of what sort of expenses I was going to have with/after a medical procedure, so I reduced my contribution a bit to get a little extra cash in my checking account. Some part of my brain was trying to convince me to leave it that way. For some reason when my checking account grows and I can manually move it into my taxable account, it feels like I'm doing really well and saving money and being a badass. But my automatic 401(k) deposits don't feel like anything, and they don't show up as income in my Mint account, so they are much less satisfying. BUT! The math says that the 401(k) is a much better way to save, so I made myself do it anyway. :-)
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10022 on: October 23, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »
The NSW container deposit scheme starts on December 1 (10c refund on most plastic, glass or aluminium drink containers between 150ml and 3L) so I'm going to hang on to our odd Coke or sparkling water bottle.

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10023 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:24 AM »
... But my automatic 401(k) deposits don't feel like anything, and they don't show up as income in my Mint account, so they are much less satisfying.
You should be able to add your 401k to Mint. I had my 403b in there at one point. Your little Mint charts will look so much more cheerful and encouraging if you do.

Today I'm heading to London midday and taking advantage of the off-peak day return with railcard discount.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #10024 on: October 24, 2017, 06:16:04 AM »
I'm feeling pretty good today! For my husband's employer to kick in their contribution to our HSA (a possible $650/person), there are a bunch of little activities we have to complete - annual physical, biometric screening, etc. We had been putting them all of, unsure of when the deadline was and what we had to complete. We got letters in the mail a few weeks ago showing that we had basically done nothing - this was partly due to confusion on our end, but still. We've kicked it into high gear, and now we're both only $25 away from the max with over a month left! The last $25 just involves checking in once a week saying I went to a yoga class. I only have 2 weeks left of check-ins, so I'm almost there!  Feels pretty good to have gotten $1250 in a matter of weeks!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10025 on: October 24, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
Going to be 100 degrees today; hung out a load of laundry to dry. Saves $0.25 or so, but it's about the habit and this was the first time in a couple of months!
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Reading pays dividends. Recommended resources for Mustachian families: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease |  The Read-Aloud Revival podcast by Sarah McKenzie | Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch | The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10026 on: October 24, 2017, 04:54:08 PM »
So sorry to hear about the car accident, Bracken_Joy! Hope you are feeling better.

-Ate breakfast, lunch & snacks at work for free today
-Made the kids lunches today, even though it was a hassle & I was tired. Bonus points, discovered cookies my mom had bought, lurking in the back of the cupboard. Added those to the lunches for a special treat.
-Instead of going to the party store, mostly made the kids Halloween costumes from stuff we already had. And, ordered the few remaining items on Amazon, for 1/2 the price of the party store.
-Added another day to a business trip. Will not save me any money, but am trying to look at the bright side of traveling over two weekend days. Will generate reward points, which I will transfer to my preferred airlines for a discounted flight? I'm really sad about it, so trying to be positive.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10027 on: October 25, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
Spending the day and tomorrow in a hotel, paid by my boss. Driven by someone elses car. Eating lunch, snacks and dinner for free. Not touching the minibar.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10028 on: October 25, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »
We're finally getting some fall weather (boo!) so we have stacked the first load of firewood on the porch and fired up the wood burner this morning. I'm working from home today, so the dogs and I are enjoying the warmth.

My brother's birthday is this week, so I got a list of Aldi items he really likes and picked up a few things on my regular grocery trip yesterday. (I prefer to give consumables for gifts) Added an Amazon gift card left over from Christmas, and threw it all in a gift bag from the leftover stash.

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #10029 on: October 25, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »
 Ate from the freezer to make room for the cakes I'll be making for our backyard wedding.

Used all the older veg from the fridge (plus some fresh from the veggie garden!) to make a Thai red curry for work lunches.

Reused mailing supplies to send a parcel for SO. SO was surprised that I keep these. Ha! How much he still has to learn about my waste hating ways.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #10030 on: October 25, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »
Had free work lunch by attending a Financial Planning Seminar. Learned lots (insert sarcasm font).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10031 on: October 25, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »
-Made leftovers for dinner
-Packed lunches for the kids
-Ate free breakfast, lunch & snacks at work
-Enrolled in annual benefits at work, optimizing a few things to take advantage of plan changes

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10032 on: October 25, 2017, 03:50:17 PM »
Found out I can pay my health insurance premium at CVS with a credit card.  2% card = $14.50 / month

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #10033 on: October 26, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »
Signed SO up for cheaper online stockbroker. If I like it, I will switch to. Cost per trade is nearly half what I am paying now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10034 on: October 26, 2017, 03:55:54 PM »
-Ate free breakfast, lunch & snacks at work. (Although, putting in a 12 hour day, so doesn't feel like much of a "win".)
-Got a raise as part of my promotion I've worked on for a few years. It's nothing crazy, but will help pad the stache!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #10035 on: October 26, 2017, 08:38:11 PM »
-Switched internet providers, will be saving $35 per month

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10036 on: October 26, 2017, 11:58:21 PM »
Went to the eye doctor to see if I needed an updated prescription (it's been 5+ years since I got checked). Turned down all the upsells, and decided not to get new glasses when she said my prescription was essentially the same. Even though my glasses are really old and the finish is starting to come off and discolor, it's all on the inside of the frame and behind the ear where it rubs on my skin, so they still should look OK to other people while I'm wearing them. I made sure I went somewhere that took my vision insurance (which I pay a whopping 99 pre-tax cents/month for) so it was only a $10 co-pay for the exam. $65 saved on the exam, at least $35 on the upsells I turned down, and probably $100-$200 saved by not getting new glasses.

Got a free drink and concert ticket, although I don't think I actually did anything to achieve that. I actually tried multiple times to pay. Maybe this is more like a "how did you save money in spite of yourself today" item...
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10037 on: October 27, 2017, 02:11:11 AM »
Checked my mobile phone provider (Amaysim) for any updates to data plans.

Currently paying $24.90 for unlimited calls/text & 1.5GB data every 28 days.

New plan available is $20.00 for unlimited calls/text & 2.5GB data every 28 days.

Going to switch as soon as the current billing cycle expires in 10 days.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10038 on: October 27, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »
The usual small stuff:

- eating home made sandwiches for lunch, as usual.
- bringing home some leftover bananas from work ar Friday afternoon.
- eating a fresh mushroom that I picked in the forest today.
- eating frozen pizza (reheated), but from home made pizza leftover.

haypug16

• Bristles
« Reply #10039 on: October 27, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »
- Breakfast was free (Starbucks gift card I got for signing my work up for something)
- Lunch was bought for me for helping out a former colleague (will have leftovers for tomorrow)
- Ordered Dog food online at 50% off
- Will be stopping at BJs on my way home from work to get gas, I think the prices are typically 15 cents off per gallon which saves me roughly $1.50 per fill up.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10040 on: October 27, 2017, 03:57:16 PM »
Surveyed the food situation this morning and decided to freeze the flatbread and the muffins for later, since I won't get through them this weekend.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10041 on: October 27, 2017, 04:59:19 PM »
Spectrum (previously Time Warner Cable) jacked my price from $45/mo to $71/mo while I was recovering from surgery. (Gee, thanks!)  Just basic-level internet access, no phone or TV, that is crazy expensive! Finally got my shit together enough to call today and ask for a price reduction. For the first time in my experience, they said no. Nope. Nothing we can do. $71 or nothing. No lower service levels you can downgrade to, no promos, nothing. I threatened to change providers. They said they would understand if I wanted to do that. So I just spent 40 minutes signing up for FiOS and will get similar or better internet bandwidth for $39.99/mo.

I have a bad history with Verizon from way back in the DSL days, but I'll give it a shot if I'll save $360/yr. If they suck I'll switch back to Spectrum and get a sign-up promo :-P

I'm also buying the modem, so I should save money in the long term over renting one for $10/mo.
Referrals for...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10042 on: October 27, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »
-Ate leftovers for breakfast & lunch
-Used up spinach from the freezer in breakfast smoothies
-Packed lunches for the kids
-Listed 10 items on eBay (not a fan, but it declutters & earns money, so hopefully win/win)
-Got our first power bill since I went super hard core & tried to cut costs. We've saved $30 over last month! So excited. We have A LOT of work still to do in this space.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10043 on: October 27, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »
-Got our first power bill since I went super hard core & tried to cut costs. We've saved $30 over last month! So excited. We have A LOT of work still to do in this space.

Great work!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10044 on: October 27, 2017, 08:07:38 PM »
Ordered new flats for work.

$150 marked down to $99, less $22 in loyalty points, so they were basically half price.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10045 on: October 28, 2017, 02:34:56 PM »
We sawed and chopped wood from our garden for the wood stove.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10046 on: October 28, 2017, 04:16:19 PM »

Great work!

Thanks! The three other people in my house are annoyed by my constant "turn that off", "unplug that" comments, but they are getting used to it. ;-)

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10047 on: October 28, 2017, 07:52:50 PM »
Carved our Jack o lantern today, took a photo and now the pumpkin is cooking to be frozen and used during the year for breads, pies, and truffles.

Husband loves carving, but I hate food waste, so this is the yearly tradition

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #10048 on: October 28, 2017, 08:55:47 PM »
Brought coupons to the store when I went grocery shopping.
Froze the rest of the tomato paste from the can in tablespoon sizes in ice cube trays.
Roasted the jalapenos that were starting to go bad in the fridge.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10049 on: October 29, 2017, 05:53:55 AM »
I read my emails on my personal (non-work) account for the first time in 6 weeks.

Spotted one, and then a reminder from a certain telco provider who are delighted to announce they are cancelling the prepaid mobile broadband service I'm using because it's ancient and they want to focus on providing a better service with more cool options and ad-ons (i.e. a post paid service with lots of data but one that creams you on excess usage).

Apparently I'm a dinosaur (but I already knew that). The service I was using requires a USB key modem and I was getting 12GB for $150 with 365 day expiry. Not great but that was all I needed - basically all I do is internet banking, write shit on this forum, and look at stocks and realestate websites.

At the local shopping centre on the ground floor there was the telco provider who was giving me the boot, and opposite them was the telco provider who still is willing to cater to Brontosaurs like me. I went up to the sales dude and said "those guys (pointing out the store to them) are cancelling my service. I need a replacement"

$39 for a new modem, and a $130 recharge for 25GB with one year expiry and I'm happy.

And the old telco has promised to refund the 7 months left on the cancelled service so I'm very happy with that too.