Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020786 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10000 on: November 18, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »
Froze the overripe bananas for smoothies.

Held off washing yesterday because of the rain, just pegged a big load outside in the sun.

I've been having problems with my iPhone 6 for a couple of months. Finally took it to Apple and they replaced the handset at no charge.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10001 on: November 18, 2017, 05:44:54 PM »
-Stuck to my list when buying groceries
-Served everyone leftovers for lunch
-Made tapenade using a giant jar of olives that have been lingering in my pantry for.ever. Used yard basil to round it out. Yum.
-Ran errands in the electric car

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10002 on: November 18, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
I tend to make lots of little impulse buys at the grocery store when I go in for just a handful of items. So I sent my husband with the list instead!

Sold a pair of uncomfortable shoes on PoshMark for $5 less than I paid for them.

I’m doing the bulk of my Christmas knitting with stashed yarn, saving money on gifts.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10003 on: November 18, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »
I tend to make lots of little impulse buys at the grocery store when I go in for just a handful of items. So I sent my husband with the list instead!

Sold a pair of uncomfortable shoes on PoshMark for $5 less than I paid for them.

I’m doing the bulk of my Christmas knitting with stashed yarn, saving money on gifts.

This is an accomplishment! Way to go. I try not to buy things I won't love, but it happens, particularly with shoes. I tend to buy core shoes (running, and my once every few years pair of flats) at Nordstrom. They are pricey, but you can return after wearing if they don't work out. In the long run, tends to save money.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10004 on: November 18, 2017, 07:39:18 PM »

This is an accomplishment! Way to go. I try not to buy things I won't love, but it happens, particularly with shoes. I tend to buy core shoes (running, and my once every few years pair of flats) at Nordstrom. They are pricey, but you can return after wearing if they don't work out. In the long run, tends to save money.

They were actually a second pair in a different color from one of my favorite pairs of shoes, but turned out just not as comfortable to wear for any real length of time. Luckily they’re a classic style and I got them on clearance so it was easy to recoup most of what I spent originally!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10005 on: November 19, 2017, 02:07:05 AM »
I had oatmeal with water and a mashed overripe banana for breakfast.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10006 on: November 19, 2017, 04:19:51 AM »
I had a bath after my run last night. Instead of adding a splash of body wash to the water, I grated part of a gifted bar of lavender soap and threw those in the bath.

Lovely and fragrant, and a good way to use up a bar of soap I'm not likely to shower with.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10007 on: November 19, 2017, 05:41:02 AM »
Today I made soup. Used three leftover broccoli stems that I had in the freezer for this purpose. I also found a bag of frozen cauliflour roses that probably came from a cauliflour bought on sale once and that had been in the freezer for quite a while. Added a pack of blue cheese and some stock and spices. Reasonably priced and veggie meal in total, only some cost for the blue cheese.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10008 on: November 19, 2017, 07:56:20 AM »
I went out to buy throw away trash and buy something. Forgot my wallet, so no buying anything.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10009 on: November 19, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »
Line-dried a load of laundry.

Harvested chives and tangerines from the garden.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10010 on: November 19, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »
Used an inexpensive template from Etsy for Christmas cards, and ordered them from VistaPrint. Not the absolute cheapest option, but a good value.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10011 on: November 19, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »
I found an overripe banana and used it to make healthy banana oatmeal breakfast muffins.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10012 on: November 19, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »
I found an overripe banana and used it to make healthy banana oatmeal breakfast muffins.

We have 3 overripe bananas and are using them to make 2 ingredient cookies =)
(Although I actually make them like... 6 ingredient cookies. Banana, oats, dried coconut, and spices- cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg).

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10013 on: November 19, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »
Filled the car with diesel and did NOT buy cigarettes. That's 2 weeks now.

Cooked a roast chicken, made a sandwich  for tomorrow's lunch, and the carcass is in the stock pot ready to make soup.

Ate my prepared breakfast and lunch at work - not so difficult today as there is no canteen at work on the weekend!

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10014 on: November 19, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
I cut my own hair.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10015 on: November 19, 2017, 02:31:50 PM »
Yesterday I took advantage of pre-Thanksgiving sales to buy a boneless ham for $1.34/lb, a fresh turkey for 98c/lb and a frozen turkey for 68c/lb and 5# organic potatoes for $1.98

The fresh turkey will get cut up and the breasts seasoned and vacuum packed to cook sous vide at a later date.  The rest I'll roast, we'll eat turkey and turkey soup, then I'll can a big batch of turkey stock.  Most of the ham will get cut up into portions and frozen.

Today I rummaged through bins in the shop and found a rope and snaps to replace a broken tie rope at the stable, found some clothesline, a smaller snap and an old screw driver that will be used together to measure out riding patterns.  I also cut up an old 4x4 leftover from a rotten fence post and will use it for another purpose out at the barn.  Moved some random crap out of an Action Packer container and will take that out as well to store equipment out of the elements for winter.

Repaired the little shed/locker where I store the chicken feed and supplies using other scrap wood and parts found in the shop.  Will hopefully make it more mouse proof and prevent feed waste this winter and prolong the life of the shed.

Redeemed credit card points for a $50 TJMaxx gift card.  Hoping it will work at Sierra Trading Post as I've had my eye on a specific sweater there for a couple months.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10016 on: November 19, 2017, 02:56:10 PM »
I cut my own hair.

Can you please remind me to do that next time my hair is wet?

For two weeks I've been thinking, I'll cut it next time I wash it...

Oh well, big pony tail it is.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10017 on: November 19, 2017, 03:31:50 PM »
Yesterday I took advantage of pre-Thanksgiving sales to buy a boneless ham for $1.34/lb, a fresh turkey for 98c/lb and a frozen turkey for 68c/lb and 5# organic potatoes for $1.98

The fresh turkey will get cut up and the breasts seasoned and vacuum packed to cook sous vide at a later date.  The rest I'll roast, we'll eat turkey and turkey soup, then I'll can a big batch of turkey stock.  Most of the ham will get cut up into portions and frozen.

Today I rummaged through bins in the shop and found a rope and snaps to replace a broken tie rope at the stable, found some clothesline, a smaller snap and an old screw driver that will be used together to measure out riding patterns.  I also cut up an old 4x4 leftover from a rotten fence post and will use it for another purpose out at the barn.  Moved some random crap out of an Action Packer container and will take that out as well to store equipment out of the elements for winter.

Repaired the little shed/locker where I store the chicken feed and supplies using other scrap wood and parts found in the shop.  Will hopefully make it more mouse proof and prevent feed waste this winter and prolong the life of the shed.

Redeemed credit card points for a $50 TJMaxx gift card.  Hoping it will work at Sierra Trading Post as I've had my eye on a specific sweater there for a couple months.

Where'd you find the thanksgiving deals? We tend to overlap on sales I've observed =) And I'm having a heck of a time finding stuff! Cheapest I found was costco for $0.99/lb frozen, or Safeway has like a $0.60someting/lb but only if you buy $50 or more of other stuff =o Even Grocery Outlet and Fred Meyer is failing me!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10018 on: November 19, 2017, 04:58:12 PM »
Cross country road trip (cheaper to drive than fly, and digs are with us so no boarding), stopped at my sister's for late lunch instead of buying lunch or dinner. (Hotel for breakfast, used points for the hotel.)  Good peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a Topo Chico!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10019 on: November 19, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »
-Found a small turkey breast to make for Thanksgiving vs a turkey, as it's just the 4 of us
-Used up a tub of green salsa that was leftover from a visit with my parents. Made a batch of green chicken chili with it.
-Drove our electric car to soccer & errands.
-Made all meals at the house (no meals out this weekend)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10020 on: November 19, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »
Where'd you find the thanksgiving deals? We tend to overlap on sales I've observed =) And I'm having a heck of a time finding stuff! Cheapest I found was costco for $0.99/lb frozen, or Safeway has like a $0.60someting/lb but only if you buy $50 or more of other stuff =o Even Grocery Outlet and Fred Meyer is failing me!

WinCo for the turkeys, Fred Meyer for the ham.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10021 on: November 19, 2017, 08:41:37 PM »

WinCo for the turkeys, Fred Meyer for the ham.

Oh, WinCo! I didn't even think to check there. Good call. I'll be near a WinCo soon I think, excellent.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10022 on: November 20, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
Currently on a fast, hoping to make it at least 3 days but I don't have a crazy amount of excess fat so we'll see. I'm a little concerned about food going bad in the fridge, but I think I can freeze all of it. I'm seeing the freezer as an option more and more with the help of this forum.

Road2Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10023 on: November 20, 2017, 08:35:44 AM »
Switched our Roth IRA and two Rollover IRAs from a Target Fund (.7 expense ratio) to a 3-fund portfolio (expense ratios range from .035 to .17).  Felt awesome doing it and wished I would've learned about it sooner.

Also did the same thing for my mom after speaking with he about it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10024 on: November 20, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
Not saving, but earning. I worked 2 hours 150% paid overtime today. And will be doing more thecrest of the week.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10025 on: November 20, 2017, 11:05:04 AM »
 I left my lunch at home today on accident. Instead of buying, I went home and got it. I hate making the extra trip, but I saved a lot of money driving the 10 minutes rather than buying lunch out. Maybe next time I’ll go without, but I left the house upset today so I didn’t want to be too hard on myself.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10026 on: November 20, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »
Free sandwiches at work, again :D

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10027 on: November 20, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »
Didn't buy cigarettes.

Remembered to take breakfast and lunch with me into work, and actually ate them rather than using the canteen.  Also avoided the morning coffee run.

Made chicken soup from yesterday's carcass and veg and dried beans I already had at home. That's a total of 12 meals from one chicken.

Found an old pound coin (no longer legal tender).  Took it to the bank and they exchanged it for a new (legal) one.

Cooked dinner at home rather than going out to eat with my visiting mother.

Nearly a no spend day, but spent 23p on an onion I needed for the supper - so close!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #10028 on: November 20, 2017, 06:14:34 PM »
Bought Christmas presents a grocery store and pharmacy using visa to gain 4% and 2% cash back.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10029 on: November 20, 2017, 07:02:24 PM »
-Neighbor brought us a free Christmas tree! He was helping with harvesting them today, and got some free. It's one of the suuuuper nice ones. Very excited. This would have been a $40+ tree. Now to keep it alive until Christmas ;)

-Bought a discount shirt for a job interview for today. Biggest downside was the elbow-length sleeves kept falling weird, even though they were supposed to fold up they didn't stay. So I added a couple hidden stitches to keep the sleeves in place.

-Wanted wine... which is spending, so maybe this shouldn't count. But got a Bota Box, so... cheapest option per ounce, at least.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10030 on: November 20, 2017, 09:20:47 PM »
* Used homegrown garlic and homegrown lemon and leftover wine in tonight's dinner

* Put the bone from the roast in the Instant pot and will use to the stock make 10-bean soup

* Got a $5 off coupon for the drugstore where I got my flu shot. Will use it to buy disposable diapers or medicine for winter colds

* Got $30 in Target gift cards for stocking up on Tide powder on sale. Will use for stocking stuffers and other Xmas gifts.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10031 on: November 21, 2017, 08:51:59 AM »
-Made leftovers for dinner
-Have avoided buying the kids any "dress up" clothes for 2 years, because it never gets worn. 11 year old is going to a school dance in a few weeks. Scouted the best possible options & combined a gift card, coupon, & eBates to get it for next to nothing. Chose a dressy option that also looks reasonably comfortable, greatly increasing the likelihood he'll wear it again.
-Ate breakfast, lunch & snacks at work
-Charged electric car for free

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10032 on: November 21, 2017, 02:59:26 PM »
Got a $127 partial refund after three months and a bunch of emails.

The retailer - an automotive parts shop in the UK - wanted to give me store credit after the supposedly new parts arrived clearly having been on a car.

"What part of I'm never buying from you again do you not understand?"

Anyway, persistence won out in the end.

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10033 on: November 21, 2017, 04:53:50 PM »
Resisted the work canteen, and ate the breakfast and lunch I'd brought with me.

Did not buy cigarettes.

Delicious chilli and rice for dinner, made by DH, which improved the taste even more!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10034 on: November 21, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »
*Made a loaf of refrigerator bread to go with the chili I made for dinner

*Stayed home

*Looked up recipe for Copycat Sbux Cranberry Bliss Bars - easy!

*Drank lots of tea at home

*Read a library book

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10035 on: November 21, 2017, 05:23:05 PM »
Threw a bit of leftover enchilada sauce into the soup I made for dinner tonight, which added some nice depth to the flavor and a little bit of heat.

Bought a $2 red plaid button-up shirt from goodwill to be my son’s Christmas outfit. If last year’s sweater vest (also a thrift store find) still fits, he can wear that again too.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10036 on: November 21, 2017, 05:37:36 PM »
Just made a crustless pumpkin pie and thought I'd post the recipe for my American friends about to celebrate Thanksgiving:

It's soooooo easy and tastes like the filling of pumpkin pie without the hassle of making the crust. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

In a large bowl combine:

28 oz can of pumpkin
3 c milk
4 T melted butter
4 eggs
1 1/2 c sugar
1 c flour
4 t vanilla
2 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1/2 t cloves

Pour into greased 13x15 pan and bake 50-55 min at 325 degrees (convection oven). Longer in regular oven till knife inserted comes out clean.

Edited to clarify baking instructions.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:17:17 AM by 1967mama »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10037 on: November 21, 2017, 06:41:37 PM »
Just made a crustless pumpkin pie and thought I'd post the recipe for my American friends about to celebrate Thanksgiving:

It's soooooo easy and tastes like the filling of pumpkin pie without the hassle of making the crust. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

In a large bowl combine:

28 oz can of pumpkin
3 c milk
4 T melted butter
4 eggs
1 1/2 c sugar
1 c flour
4 t vanilla
2 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1/2 t cloves

Pour into greased 13x15 pan and bake 50-55 min at 325 degrees.

Just picked up a free pumpkin pie, but I'm making this next time. YUM!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10038 on: November 21, 2017, 07:59:25 PM »
-Our realtor we used to buy our house split off independently, and was having an office opening. They were giving away pies, so Husband went and got a couple pies. We'll take them with us to family Thanksgiving.

-Really focused on the gas mileage and got an extra good tank, in spite of the rain. (43.6 mpg)

-Working on eating leftovers before going out of town. Fridge is nearly bare.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #10039 on: November 21, 2017, 08:01:03 PM »
This thread is so inspiring, it enticed me out of lurkerdom just so I could post!

* Did yoga at home (with help from the cat)

* Only left the house to go to class, and I brewed coffee before I left instead of buying coffee.

* All meals at home

* A few weeks ago I made a green chile chowder. It was awesome but there was a ton of it so I tossed it in the freezer. Used it as a base for a green chile rice casserole tonight.

* Came home and put on PJs so I wouldn't be tempted out to spend tonight (holiday break, no where to be tomorrow, the temptation was strong!)

* Bought some necessary plane tickets for the wife and I to fly out and check out a transfer school I'm considering, but shopped around for the best deal and made a point to sign up for the frequent flyer club of the airline.

* Made oat milk with 1/2 cup oatmeal, 4 cups water, and honey -- soak, blend, strain. Our lactose intolerant older son prefers it over other options.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10040 on: November 21, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »
-Our realtor we used to buy our house split off independently, and was having an office opening. They were giving away pies, so Husband went and got a couple pies. We'll take them with us to family Thanksgiving.

-Really focused on the gas mileage and got an extra good tank, in spite of the rain. (43.6 mpg)

We got our free pie from our realtor as well. Who knew that was a thing? :-) I only went because they had pies from a bakery that won 1st place in the national pie competition, and I've been wanting to try them.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10041 on: November 21, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »

We got our free pie from our realtor as well. Who knew that was a thing? :-) I only went because they had pies from a bakery that won 1st place in the national pie competition, and I've been wanting to try them.

....We went because Free Pie, haha. No awards. But then, my Hometown is not exactly a booming metropolis of culinary excellence ;) I'll just settle with free I guess!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10042 on: November 22, 2017, 12:50:49 AM »
Welcome, Lichen!

That's a good list!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:15:29 AM by 1967mama »

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #10043 on: November 22, 2017, 06:03:25 AM »
I biked to work in the rain this morning! It wasn't raining hard and tapered off 5 minutes in, but it was a bit of a struggle to get myself going.

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #10044 on: November 22, 2017, 07:11:24 AM »
I spent an hour or so at the office today going over my leave and earnings statement with the department that deals with pay to determine if they had erroneously restarted my sea pay timer rather than pausing it.  We found an instruction that supported my argument that I was owed sea pay premium for the last year and 2 months of my sea duty, which if it gets approved through DFAS will be an extra $2,800.00 in my pocket.  I think it was time well spent!

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10045 on: November 22, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »
I live in New Hampshire, about 45 minutes north of Boston and I haven't turned my heat on yet. It's getting into the 30's at night. Indoor temperature has been low 60's (15°c).

I'm getting acclimated to a cooler house.

You and I may well be neighbors, although we seem to be closer to an hour from Boston. We actually turned the heat on over Halloween weekend because we were going out of town and didn't want to have to worry about the house. We keep it at 64 during the day and 62 at night. We do have a wood stove, though. We have had it for five years and have yet to pay for wood, so that helps with the heating costs. During the storm over Halloween, my brother (just north of Concord) lost a few big trees, so we went up and helped him remove them so we could take them home to burn.

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10046 on: November 22, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
Work has been crazy, so I'm hanging on by my fingernails.  So grateful for a few quieter days over Thanksgiving break.

Frugal highlights:

--Yoga video this AM
--packed salad made of odds and ends for lunch on the road (the boys will likely pick fast food, a rare road trip ritual...but mine will save $5-6 for sure)
--Talked husband into taking smaller car on road trip instead of ridiculous truck.  He likes more space.  I hate higher gas bills.
--Found a local, trustworthy source of raw milk for $2 a gallon.  I will now have a steady source for dairy and can start making my own cheese, butter, and yogurt... the local hippie store sells this for $8 a gallon, which was just out of my range.  I treated my first gallon last night, and I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10047 on: November 22, 2017, 10:39:26 AM »

....We went because Free Pie, haha. No awards. But then, my Hometown is not exactly a booming metropolis of culinary excellence ;) I'll just settle with free I guess!

Our realtor is kind of annoying (evidenced by the fact that, when we went to show up for the pie, he made us get in a photo booth with silly hats, etc.), so I would have just made something to avoid him, but figured the "fancy" pie was worth a taste. He's a nice enough guy, but always in "sales mode".

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10048 on: November 22, 2017, 10:46:45 AM »

Our realtor is kind of annoying (evidenced by the fact that, when we went to show up for the pie, he made us get in a photo booth with silly hats, etc.), so I would have just made something to avoid him, but figured the "fancy" pie was worth a taste. He's a nice enough guy, but always in "sales mode".

My realtor is one of my best friends and also performed my wedding ceremony...but I have never gotten a free pie from him...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10049 on: November 22, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »
BrackenJoy - if you share this info, whereabouts do you live in Oregon? I grew up in southwestern Washington, and we have a house on the Oregon coast. LOVE Oregon.

$ saving stuff:
-Leftovers for dinner
-Recycled scraps of paper to wrap a couple of small gifts
-Finally emailed the company where I won an art class (school auction) for my son's birthday. This was months ago. Will set up the art class. So, not money saving, but using something I already paid for.
-Had just a smidge of sour cream left. Heated a bowl of soup for lunch, and then added it to the sour cream container to maximize the amount of sour cream I could get into my soup. :-)
-Did a free workout at home

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!