Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020832 times)

merlin7676

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9250 on: July 21, 2017, 08:43:22 AM »
We mostly grocery shop at Safeway.  In addition to the card that almost every store has that gets you extra savings, they have a reward program called just4u that allows you to take extra off, get sale items cheaper, free stuff, ect.
Takes only a few minutes to sign on the website and pick and choose what you want/need.

One offer was a $25 dollar gift card for a new or transferred prescription at the pharmacy.  I had just gone to my doctor and had a prescription called in anyway (it's my usual pharmacy) so I got a $25 grocery store gift card that I got to use right away.

Did all my shopping plus got a free frozen pizza and 10 yogurts for .69 each, a loaf of break for .89, several other misc stuff that was "on sale" due to the card and still had $1.10 left over on the gift card.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #9251 on: July 21, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »
Grudgingly eating the salad I brought for lunch today instead of the Chipotle burrito that I really want. I pack a lunch every day and prefer it 99% of the time...but 1% of the time the Chipotle cravings are a real goddamn problem.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9252 on: July 21, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »
Went to Target and saved a couple bucks with Cartwheel and using my Red Card.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9253 on: July 22, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
I brought my lunch and a tea bag to the library instead of buying lunch there.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9254 on: July 22, 2017, 04:13:03 PM »
-Been biking a ton lately. Biked out to a date last night, biked to a discount clothes store today. Found work shoes for $12 (woo!). Used the rest of a gift card for the purchase, too. Since this card had gotten shuffled into a drawer and nearly forgotten, that was a $11 win.

-For our date, went to something classically spendy for us (sushi). But we went as a sort of 'early dinner' so neither of us were starving, and then we split a wakame salad and a sushi combo. $18 total, all time low. This is the first sushi date we've been on in at least 6 months, so it was quite a treat.

-DIYd our second bike rack. ~$10 in materials, and it works well. We had bought a $20 one a while back that promptly fell over, so we returned that. So not only cheaper than what's available, but it works better too.

-Holding off on replacing our porch lights, and will investigate refinishing them instead, and seeing if we can salvage the rusty parts.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #9255 on: July 23, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »
I haven't left the house in 8 days, I can't take all the credit for that, I had a minor foot surgery and I'm housebound for two weeks. I texted DH a list and he stopped by Aldis for some basics. Living off the freezer he only spent $12.00 at the store. 

I ordered dog food on Target, my two dogs go through one bag of Purina a month. Used my red card, free shipping and I opened an ebates account with a friends referral so a $10.26 check coming back for not leaving the house and ordering dog food on line.  Not a bad day.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9256 on: July 23, 2017, 05:29:25 PM »
Got a last minute invitation to visit my niece and her host family this evening. She's been relatively close by for a summer internship but our schedules haven't meshed until her penultimate day. I threw together a lovely salad from ingredients on hand, and I will bring her hosts a cute little bag of jams from our old house's fruit trees. No frantic dash to the store, no panic...nice.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9257 on: July 23, 2017, 06:24:49 PM »
From the past few days...

My boss took me out for lunch on Friday (her shout) which gave me enough leftovers to feed both me and my husband on Friday night.

Invited Marty and a couple of other friends over for dinner on Saturday. I cooked, so it was all very budget-friendly, and I'll get a couple of lunches out of the leftovers. And the bottle of wine I used in one of the recipes was a work gift.

Reorganised my pantry on Sunday morning. Rather than fork out for new fancy canisters, I moved more of my ingredients into (recycled) jars and labelled everything to match. My husband is now suspicious that I'm planning meals around what jars I want to empty next so I have more storage containers. "Hmmm, how does passata pickles with a side of salsa sound?"

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #9258 on: July 23, 2017, 06:38:20 PM »
Minor but discovered ice cream buried in my Grandma's freezer, and ate that instead of going to the Tastee Freeze.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #9259 on: July 24, 2017, 04:05:44 AM »
Noticed a beautiful old apple tree -- neglected but loaded with nice fruit -- in a vacant lot next to the grocery store.  I asked the store manager if the store owned it, and he said yes.   He told me no one ever did anything with the tree, and I could help myself to as many apples as I wanted.  Score!  Also -- ironic that the store is shipping in apples from Washington and wherever, while right outside there are bushels and bushels of them just falling to the ground. 

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #9260 on: July 24, 2017, 05:37:22 AM »
Minor but discovered ice cream buried in my Grandma's freezer, and ate that instead of going to the Tastee Freeze.
I bought some new icelolly thingies since the old ones broke. € 2,- but near free icelollies for the kids, and we also control the amount of sugar in it too!
Also, straight up watermelon in the icelollies is super tasty and 100% fruit (blend it first though :P)!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #9261 on: July 24, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »
Joined my local Buy Nothing group. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9262 on: July 25, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
Invited Marty and a couple of other friends over for dinner on Saturday. I cooked, so it was all very budget-friendly, and I'll get a couple of lunches out of the leftovers. And the bottle of wine I used in one of the recipes was a work gift.

Dinner was lovely, thank you :)

andreamac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9263 on: July 25, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »
I did this awhile back and it's been great! Just last night, I got a dresser for my little girls room. I've also been giving anything that I no longer need.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9264 on: July 26, 2017, 06:18:43 AM »
I bought some new icelolly thingies since the old ones broke. € 2,- but near free icelollies for the kids, and we also control the amount of sugar in it too!
Also, straight up watermelon in the icelollies is super tasty and 100% fruit (blend it first though :P)!

I love the word icelolly. That is all. :)

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #9265 on: July 26, 2017, 03:56:21 PM »
- broke the end of my umbrella off last week.  It can still attach to the pole, but the plastic cracked, so its not a reliable handle anymore.  Hubby is attempting to fix it for me with some sort of heavy duty glue.  Hopefully it works!

- Stained a pair of shorts last week (last week I was at a week of rustic summer camp with 70 teens...it was a wild week...lol)  and couldn't get the stain out upon returning.  They were a light tan color, so I dug around and found a bottle of purple fabric dye that was sitting in the rummage sale box.  Now I have purple shorts that are still perfectly usable, and kinda fun :)

- Got a text from a friend who will be in town visiting over the weekend.  He wanted to meet us for dinner or something on Saturday.  We offered to meet him for custard cones Saturday evening.  Much cheaper than dinner, but still a night 'out'....

- Hubby is working from home tomorrow so he can easily contest a speeding ticket tomorrow mid morning.  Hopefully it will lower the amount at least...

- Brinner for dinner tonight...working on cleaning out the deep freeze for our upcoming move

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #9266 on: July 26, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
Bought butcher block scraps to make handmade, personalized cutting boards for family for Xmas gifts. However, I spent $100 on 2 tickets to see Wilco at an outdoor amphitheatre in about 2 months' time. Spendy? Yes, but it's the first kid-free date that spouse and I have had in 1.5 years, & the last paid concert we attended was in 2008.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9267 on: July 27, 2017, 06:27:30 AM »
Neglected to pack lunch yet again, but this time I hopped on my bike and made lunch at home. So far so good, just have to be careful of the time.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #9268 on: July 27, 2017, 06:35:53 AM »

I love the word icelolly. That is all. :)

+1

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #9269 on: July 27, 2017, 06:42:24 AM »
I did this awhile back and it's been great! Just last night, I got a dresser for my little girls room. I've also been giving anything that I no longer need.

Agreed!  My daughter asked me for a bath robe a few nights ago.  The next day, someone was giving one away!

We've given away some stuff w/ more to go.  I like giving stuff to people who will use it. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:46:33 AM by nouveauRiche »

hred17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9270 on: July 27, 2017, 09:57:50 AM »
I just spent 20 minutes switching my auto and renters insurance over to a new provider. I will be saving $27.07/month on auto insurance and I more than HALVED my renter's insurance for the year (while retaining the same level of coverage).

Best part is that I had prepaid for a year's worth of renter's insurance (required by where I live) so I will be refunded more than $150!

Not a bad hourly rate for 20 minutes worth of 'work'!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9271 on: July 27, 2017, 11:24:16 AM »
Found out that PetSmart has a subscription service! 5% discount off the already slightly lower online price and I do not have to drive to the store.

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #9272 on: July 27, 2017, 06:53:54 PM »
Found out my town opened a small fitness center in the rec department building. Only has a couple machines and free weights, but is FREE to use.

Immediately quit the gym. Saving $25 a month!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #9273 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:38 PM »
Sewed several dog toys up, sewed the hem of one of husband's tshirts, and sewed up some tattered edges on a couple dog beds.

Husband wanted pizza after a long day.  Convinced him to reheat frozen stir fry with me instead.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9274 on: July 30, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »
Went to "Vetco" at Petco to get 3 year rabies vaccines for our two cats.  $38 (and two hours) vs. at least $190 for the mobile vet we used last time.  Several local vets we called no longer offer 3 year rabies vaccines due to the perceived (yet very slight) increased risk of injection site sarcoma. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9275 on: July 30, 2017, 07:33:51 PM »
Bought a tower fan and a kiddie pool instead of a portable air conditioner.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9276 on: July 30, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
Rode our bikes to breakfast this morning. The cargo bike/bakfiets is a great help with integrating the baby and the four-year-old on bike-friendly outings. (A tourist even took our picture!)

Enjoying the fruits of a massive declutter: the kids are doing puzzles and reading books they've ignored for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9277 on: July 30, 2017, 08:12:13 PM »
Picked up some sewing from my mum. She fixed one of my husband's shirts and a pair of his shorts, made me four new wheat bags, and took a jumper that needs a stitch.

She saves me a fortune doing all this, and I run errands for her to say thank you.

My husband started watching a TV series on Netflix while travelling last week but when he came home it was no longer available (not on Netflix Au). I just checked the library website and they have it on DVD.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9278 on: July 31, 2017, 08:26:43 AM »
Googled and fixed our toilet myself without calling a plumber. It was a tiny thing but we've outsourced a bunch of jobs lately so this felt like success!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9279 on: July 31, 2017, 08:58:29 AM »
Went to JCPenny because they sent a $10 off $10 purchase coupon.
Bought two $5 t-shirts for my husband (who needed replacement t-shirts.)

Apparently you don't even pay tax when the total is $0!

Hermione76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9280 on: July 31, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »
I've committed to using up a number of protein packets that I bought for travel that are not tasty. So I made a smoothie this morning with one of the packets, a banana, some almond milk, and some sweetener, and it's.... still not great. Barely drinkable. BUT, it has 18 grams of protein! (Silver lining?)

I've completely stopped driving to my local grocery stores, and have been walking instead. Our Trader Joe's is only 0.5 miles away!

For this coming week, I plan to not drive anywhere, and not spend any money until Saturday! Let's see if I can do it...

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9281 on: July 31, 2017, 01:01:29 PM »
Went for a lovely hike with friends.  We carpooled to save money on parking and gas. 
Received a lot of fresh fruit from a friend's trees.  Cleaned, chopped, and froze most of the fruit.  I used two pieces for a smoothie for breakfast.
Packed lunch.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9282 on: July 31, 2017, 05:29:39 PM »
Ran out of time for lunch because of an appointment and subsisted on some cookies I'd brought from home. Had the cookies with tea from a teabag I'd brought.

There's a shelf and an empty corner in my building's laundry room where tenants tend to leave things when they move. I walked by this evening, saw that it was overflowing with stuff, and picked up a cookie cutter, a box of "City Walks" cards for London, a few hangers, nail polish, an unopened hotel-style soap, an unused little hotel bottle of shampoo, a couple electrical cords, and a florescent safety vest for bicycling. I've been wanting nail polish to mark water levels on the outside of my French press / cafetiere, but I didn't want to buy a bottle just for that since I rarely wear it. I might take another look at the pile tomorrow. There was a lot of stuff that could possibly be useful.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #9283 on: July 31, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
Cleaning out the fridge because we leave for a long weekend in a couple of days.  Cooked up a bunch of stuff so we can easily eat and have no excuse to go out leading up to the trip....

Posted some stuff for sale on facebook sites.  Also clearing out the house since its going up on the market in a couple months!

Will be staying with our friends this weekend, so no hotel expenses.  In addition, we will be driving hubby's company car...which means 2 things:  1) He has to do all the driving...I'm not on the insurance for it....BUT... 2) no gas expenses for us.  Our only travel expense on this trip will be some foodstuffs and probably a meal or two out, a toll, and the taxes we will pay on the 'personal' miles (because of the way the company handles mileage on the car).  Yay for a cheap visit!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9284 on: July 31, 2017, 06:08:08 PM »
I have been eyeing small chainsaws to keep in my truck for trail runs (the last time I went semi-offroad we cleared 3 trees in 8 miles). I happened to see a 20v lithium chainsaw pop up on Slickdeals - clearance at WalMart for $64 (with battery)! The Amazon price is $90 without a battery.

It's certainly not huge (only 10" bar) but it should be adequate for emergency trail clearing and occasional campsite use. I don't have to worry about pre-mix fuel, engine maintenance, or hearing protection either.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9285 on: July 31, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
I've committed to using up a number of protein packets that I bought for travel that are not tasty. do it...

I loved the emphasis here. :D

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9286 on: July 31, 2017, 08:11:17 PM »
Drove all the way home with no AC and windows up. It was 87 degrees, sunny and humid. My AC barely works so it seems like a waste to run it for a small gain.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9287 on: August 01, 2017, 07:26:15 AM »
* Ran out of homemade muffins for breakfasts, so thawed some homemade tortillas and opened a can of black beans for breakfast tacos.  Easy and yummy!

* Got my yearly bonus at work.  After admiring my large checking account, I moved it to our emergency fund.  So close to having 6 months fully funded. 

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:33:06 AM by engineermom21 »

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #9288 on: August 01, 2017, 02:05:14 PM »
Over the weekend, I replaced the brake and shifter cables, housings and ferrules on my commuter bike that I have had for five years. I needed to buy cable cutters and a "third-hand" cable stretcher for about $55 but those tools will come in useful for all our bikes. It was the first time I'd done that job. Watched Youtube, and took some pictures of the existing cable runs to figure it out. Bike is braking and shifting much smoother now.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9289 on: August 01, 2017, 02:38:41 PM »
I cut up an old sheet and sewed it into a new dirty laundry bag instead of buying one.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9290 on: August 01, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »
* cargobiked the kids to an after school activity instead of taking the car.
* Ralph's had a great price on Dixon-Ticonderoga pencils so bought five packs. Should keep us in stock for the school year.
* prepurchased minimalist materials for a kitchen sink repair. I'm going to outsource the labor to our favorite plumber Eddie but this should reduce costs slightly

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #9291 on: August 01, 2017, 06:23:10 PM »
I didn't use  up the whole $40 I took to the farmer's market today. I'll probably spend the money I saved on some fancy meat this weekend for my carnivore SO's birthday...but usually I have no self control around beautiful seasonal produce so leaving the market with $2 is an achievement for me, much less $15 😂 And yes I DO have to use a cash only system at the market to substitute for self control...

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9292 on: August 02, 2017, 04:54:02 AM »
(Hai! *waves*)

On this Earth Overshoot Day, I managed to get my hands on a used* waterproof biking jacket for less than $10. I live in a place with very temperamental weather, so this is invaluable, as my old rain jacket is far too warm for summer and too stiff for biking. So happy with it, and it will substantially lower my climate wussiness! 

* Not really. The gent got it from his uncle, but never used it. 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9293 on: August 02, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »
I've been facepunchingly awful lately, and of course I had no ingredients for my lunch today. So I grabbed a random cheese, some crackers, and some grapes and tossed them in my lunch bag. So... yeah, lunch.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9294 on: August 02, 2017, 01:19:33 PM »
Not me personally, but I was very impressed...the plastic on the arm of the chair I use at work shattered--I tend to lean on that arm. I assumed that the chair would have to be trashed, or perhaps the office services division could swap out the part with one from another damaged chair. Turns out the chair was still under warranty seven years after purchase. The repair guy stopped by and attached two new arms (for color match) and was finished in under ten minutes. Yay for fixing instead of trashing and reducing landfill!

As for me, I snagged a leftover bagel from a catered lunch yesterday that became breakfast this morning...

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9295 on: August 02, 2017, 01:41:25 PM »
Skipped lunch yesterday, skipped breakfast today. Remembered to use a couple more of my seemingly-endless Ticketmaster class-action-suit voucher codes. I have 11 left out of (IIRC) 38... but they don't expire till 2020.

I'm thinking about using the money I saved to treat myself to some cantaloupe.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9296 on: August 02, 2017, 09:00:49 PM »
Got home last night to find that neither of us pulled anything out for dinner. Considered ordering delicious cheesy pizza, but resisted. Instead I rumaged around in the fridge and freezer and came up with some thin sliced beef I had put up weeks ago and a small pot of black beans. Made mexican rice for my husband and heated up a baked potato for myself. Voila! dinner and two satisfying lunches done in 20 minutes. Thank you past Marcela who thought to make extra of the beef and freeze it.

So far today I'm searching for a cheap snack I could have at my desk. I had some amazing macona almonds while in NC last week and was looking those up. Too expensive! I might have to stick to peanuts for my snack fix. Not very exciting though.

Mix those peanuts with some sunflower kernels, raisins, and a surprisingly small number of M&M's and they're a whole other experience. They store well in a jar or baggie.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9297 on: August 02, 2017, 10:27:03 PM »
Scored another (empty) giant coffee jar from work.

I use them in my pantry.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9298 on: August 03, 2017, 08:31:32 AM »
Was surprised to find that I could get a big sandwich, a snack and a bottle of soda from Spar for less than the price of a sandwich alone from the place I've been getting my sandwiches from on working days. It brings the premium for having a choice of fresh sandwiches that I haven't had to make myself right down.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9299 on: August 03, 2017, 12:50:24 PM »
*made bread even though it's too hot out to bake

*prepared three dinners before this heatwave. Future me is so happy that I did all that hard work!

*grocery delivery week 5. It's actually saving me money!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!