Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020733 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5050 on: December 10, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »
I've been too cheap to buy the countertop foodsaver. I had a handheld one that was on sale at Target a few  years back for ten dollars, free with a ten dollar coupon. But it died - and I figured out I could use a handheld wine sealer over the foodsaver bag circle thingie to suction out the air. It was something I already owned and has no electric parts to break. Attached- a photo of my winesaver putting my foodsaver to rest.

That is cool.  I figured someone here would share a cheaper FoodSaver hack!  Do you do much vacuum sealing with it?  I'm not familiar with the bags that have something built in to suction out the air.  I've only used the ones that come in rolls (and we have many rolls on hand from the CostCo pack). 

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #5051 on: December 10, 2015, 07:47:26 PM »
I do a fair amount of sealing with it. I have a chest freezer and tend to buy in bulk when I get a good deal. I sometimes wish I had the rolls, but this is working for me and I got a good deal on the bags at one point so I'm set for a while.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5052 on: December 10, 2015, 11:35:39 PM »
DH went shopping today and bought a bunch of stuff on sale. Earl Grey teabags were half price as were ground coffee for the Aeropress. I instructed him to buy 4 boxes of 100 tea bags because I'd never seen it that cheap before :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5053 on: December 11, 2015, 12:20:33 AM »
I'm not feeling very Mustachian these days, with Christmas spending for my large family reaching a fever pitch. I am, however, trying to at least be mindful in the kitchen by using the meat from the freezer each day, and planning meals 2 days in advance (enough time for meat to thaw in the fridge). I bought 50 chickens in the summer and 2 sides of beef in the fall. The only thing I should be buying to fill in the gaps is fish (from Costco).

Tonight we had chicken and potatoes. Tomorrow night is a sirloin roast with carrots and broccoli. Saturday is spaghetti. I've always liked that saying that "failing to plan is planning to fail." It is certainly true for me with meal planning.

I have been getting a loaf or two of bread going in the bread machine each day.

I have been using up sad looking vegetables in a Roasted Vegetables side dish -- olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and rosemary.

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5054 on: December 11, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »
Older DS is home sick today, so my outing for errands and lunch with a friend is postponed. She's definitely not mustachian, but she is a good friend.

It is warm again today - heat is off and windows are open. Made homemade pizza dough for the kids' supper tonight (I will have a salad). There will be dough left over, too. I'm enjoying my tea and planning on a quiet home day today.

And, I made it through the Christmas gift wrapping season with only purchasing tissue paper ($1). Other than that, I used what I already had on hand. If I had waited, I wouldn't have had to buy any; my mom brought over a bag of tissue paper, tags, and gift bags. These were a little bit of her "extras". She seems to think all the stores will close forever and she won't be able to purchase any wrapping products - she hoards like crazy! No way can she use it in her lifetime.

ponyespresso

• Stubble
« Reply #5055 on: December 11, 2015, 08:59:24 AM »
Are these way cheaper in the long haul than using freezer ziplocks & freezer tupperwares? Or does the vaccuum seal helps them last longer in the freezer? or both? :-)

I've been too cheap to buy the countertop foodsaver. I had a handheld one that was on sale at Target a few  years back for ten dollars, free with a ten dollar coupon. But it died - and I figured out I could use a handheld wine sealer over the foodsaver bag circle thingie to suction out the air. It was something I already owned and has no electric parts to break. Attached- a photo of my winesaver putting my foodsaver to rest.

That is cool.  I figured someone here would share a cheaper FoodSaver hack!  Do you do much vacuum sealing with it?  I'm not familiar with the bags that have something built in to suction out the air.  I've only used the ones that come in rolls (and we have many rolls on hand from the CostCo pack).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5056 on: December 11, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »
Are these way cheaper in the long haul than using freezer ziplocks & freezer tupperwares? Or does the vaccuum seal helps them last longer in the freezer? or both? :-)

Vacuum sealing prevents freezer burn so the food lasts longer.  The bags aren't cheaper than freezer bags.  I also use them for things like big hunks of cheese which will last in the fridge for months without molding if it's vacuum packed.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5057 on: December 11, 2015, 09:40:43 AM »
Last night I used quite a bit from the freezer.  I baked a few chicken breasts that I had defrosted.  I made a cauliflower mash (https://www.thehealthychef.com/2012/06/cauliflower-mash/) using frozen cauliflower and half an onion left over from Thanksgiving.

For dessert, I used an avocado and banana that were about to turn to make a chocolate mousse (http://balancedbites.com/content/easy-recipe-dairy-free-chocolate-mousse-pudding/).  I didn't have any coconut milk, so I used skim milk in the fridge and didn't add any sweetener.  I did add quite a bit of cinnamon and a little bit more cocoa powder than the recipe called for, but it was a great dessert. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5058 on: December 11, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »
I'm renewing my CPR for healthcare providers today, and can do it online. When I was going through the pay set up, I noticed there was a place for "discount code". So I googled and lo and behold, I found a code for $5 off. $15 instead of $20 now. It's amazing to me how often that works.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5059 on: December 11, 2015, 11:42:01 AM »
Today, I opened up my lunchbox and stared at the "food" I had prepared. It looked unappetizing. I googled nearby restaurants, but in the end I told myself to just eat it and move on. So I did. It was about as tasty as it was attractive, but I banked $8 by avoiding eating out. I did make a note to never pack that particular meal again.

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #5060 on: December 11, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »
Worked from home rather than filling up on gas to drive 30 miles!

Bonus points: Cooked breakfast and lunch at home since I was already here!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #5061 on: December 11, 2015, 01:49:32 PM »
...snip...

And, I made it through the Christmas gift wrapping season with only purchasing tissue paper ($1). Other than that, I used what I already had on hand. If I had waited, I wouldn't have had to buy any; my mom brought over a bag of tissue paper, tags, and gift bags. These were a little bit of her "extras". She seems to think all the stores will close forever and she won't be able to purchase any wrapping products - she hoards like crazy! No way can she use it in her lifetime.

My daughter was like that.  When she moved out, she left me her wrapping paper collection.  Seven years later I still have massive amounts.  I doubt I will need to buy wrapping paper again in my lifetime.

AgentCooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5062 on: December 11, 2015, 02:32:13 PM »
A big group that I was in got "stranded" in the city when our shuttle bus was a no-show.  We waited 20 minutes for it and then were told it would "be a while."  I found online that our destination was only 1.7 miles away, so I announced that I was going to walk it.  People were incredulous.  "Walk?!  You're going. to. walk?!" 

"Sure," I said.  "And I'll probably beat the bus there," I said over my shoulder as I exited.

Once I got to the destination, I found that a couple of the others had opted for a taxi, and still others had decided to walk right after I left, and arrived shortly after I did, telling me that they did so because they heard my announcement that I was doing it and that it really wasn't that far.  They were, for some reason, drenched in sweat, but maybe the experience will teach them that they should opt for leg-based transpo more often.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5063 on: December 11, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
*  so far today have successfully resisted buying a camera that I have been coveting forever.  It is in the amazon cart, but my credit card number is not saved, so I am powerless to purchase it unless I dig out the card. 

*  found a nickel on the ground

Guys, I am 1471 away from zero credit card debt . . . I have been sooooo good this year and I "deserve" the camera and it would only set me back a month . . . . but I cannot do it.  I want deserve the ZERO more.

Craft_endlessly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5064 on: December 11, 2015, 03:04:58 PM »
Brought my own lunch to work.

Bolt of Linen arrived- making linen towels for Christmas gifts this year for the family. Would cost $30-50 to purchase retail. To make is costing 10-13 dollars in materials, time not included since that is a labor of love.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5065 on: December 11, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »
A big group that I was in got "stranded" in the city when our shuttle bus was a no-show.  We waited 20 minutes for it and then were told it would "be a while."  I found online that our destination was only 1.7 miles away, so I announced that I was going to walk it.  People were incredulous.  "Walk?!  You're going. to. walk?!" 

"Sure," I said.  "And I'll probably beat the bus there," I said over my shoulder as I exited.

Once I got to the destination, I found that a couple of the others had opted for a taxi, and still others had decided to walk right after I left, and arrived shortly after I did, telling me that they did so because they heard my announcement that I was doing it and that it really wasn't that far.  They were, for some reason, drenched in sweat, but maybe the experience will teach them that they should opt for leg-based transpo more often.

Inquiring minds need to know - when DID the bus get there?

Good for you! You got a few others to walk too, though if they got all sweaty they may be cursing you....

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5066 on: December 11, 2015, 04:43:04 PM »
Cooked a bunch of onions out of the 50lb. bag I bought this week by caramelizing them in leftover bacon fat.  Also made flat breads.  Caramelized onions on flatbread topped with a little cheese and stuck under the broiler will be our go to snack when we are running in and out this weekend.  Who wants to stop for crappy fast food on the way home when you can have that 10 minutes after walking in the door.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5067 on: December 11, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »
Roasted two bpvery large sweet potatoes that seemed to be approaching their 'best by' date (peel, dice, toss with olive oil, cumin, sage, cardamom, celery salt, salt, and minced garlic).

Made pinto beans and rice, using red pepper that has seen better days (dried pinto beans, basmati rice, salt, garlic, celery, red pepper, leeks, cumin)

Topped beans and rice with some of the roasted sweet potatoes - pretty yummy!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5068 on: December 11, 2015, 06:35:16 PM »

Guys, I am 1471 away from zero credit card debt . . . I have been sooooo good this year and I "deserve" the camera and it would only set me back a month . . . . but I cannot do it.  I want deserve the ZERO more.

Yes! You do deserve the zero more! So awesome!

Today:

*cooked dinner from food on hand, even though we were out for hours and I really just felt like ordering in -- I'm so weak!

*invited to friends for coffee and dessert -- love having equally frugal friends where there's no expectation of fancy.

*skating with the kids today -- prepaid for the year and received a huge discount -- we've already recouped our costs so the rest of the year (January to March) are effectively free

*free staff Christmas party -- plan to take full advantage of the lovely appetizers and 4 course dinner -- also, wearing a dress from 2009 that fits me again! Saved me big $$$ and I think its still in style/timeless.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #5069 on: December 11, 2015, 07:58:14 PM »
Called my gas supplier to cancel. Turns out they charge about double/therm as another supplier. I think I'm going to start a thread on this, as it was so dumb to leave it so long.

Runny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5070 on: December 12, 2015, 03:01:24 PM »
Called our insurance to negotiate the rates for home and car insurance as it went up by quite a bit this year, and was able to save $100!!! Also asked our condo board if I could get one of the bikes that was left on the bike rack in the garage. It's a nice pistachio coloured Trek bike that will just need a bit of maintenance (and some air in the tires) next spring. I'm keeping it in our locker for now.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5071 on: December 12, 2015, 03:27:49 PM »
Turned off the central gas central heating's power. Not the gas, but the electricity. Words, they are not happening this morning. Anyway, it's summer and we won't be using the heating for a number of months so no point in using vampire power on the thermostat.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5072 on: December 12, 2015, 03:54:49 PM »
*  found a dime on the ground
*  turning a batch of cookie dough into  3 gifts for a party tonight
*  donated 80 hotdogs (not mine, but from an organization I know that needed to get rid of them) to an animal shelter

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5073 on: December 12, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »
I'm not feeling very Mustachian these days, with Christmas spending for my large family reaching a fever pitch. I am, however, trying to at least be mindful in the kitchen by using the meat from the freezer each day, and planning meals 2 days in advance (enough time for meat to thaw in the fridge). I bought 50 chickens in the summer and 2 sides of beef in the fall. The only thing I should be buying to fill in the gaps is fish (from Costco).

Tonight we had chicken and potatoes. Tomorrow night is a sirloin roast with carrots and broccoli. Saturday is spaghetti. I've always liked that saying that "failing to plan is planning to fail." It is certainly true for me with meal planning.

I have been getting a loaf or two of bread going in the bread machine each day.

I have been using up sad looking vegetables in a Roasted Vegetables side dish -- olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and rosemary.

Is your home freezer a walk-in?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5074 on: December 12, 2015, 06:39:44 PM »
Both of us stayed on the mountain all day, grading and studying for final exams, respectively. (He does not need any classes in my field, fortunately.)

Showed him how to buy my Christmas present with the gift card balance on Amazon I built up over the summer doing focus groups. Silly, but I'll enjoy the present more. (A device to hold up a tablet, which I sort of need with my neck issues - will make the grading much less painful and exhausting.)

Combined with his Christmas present so we get free shipping.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5075 on: December 12, 2015, 06:47:41 PM »
Made a huge batch of yogurt from marked down dairy and portioned out 5 breakfasts of yogurt, fruit and chia seeds in Mason jars.

Cut up all my 99 cent pineapples and froze them, with the cores in a separate bag to use in smoothies.

No spend day

Soaked hay cubes and fed them to the chickens

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5076 on: December 12, 2015, 11:30:14 PM »
Booked my husband flights to see this family this week, paid with points, saved about $400.

More nights home alone for me, which will be cheap since I'm predicting 14-hour days at work before we shut down over Christmas.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5077 on: December 12, 2015, 11:39:27 PM »
Changed the brake rotors, pads and oil & filter on my wife's 2005 Honda Accord.  Used a $5/off coupon for the oil & filter on the already discounted $23 oil & filter deal :).  And did it all in about an hour and a half...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5078 on: December 13, 2015, 04:20:00 AM »
Got quotes to restructure our insurance after marty998 kicked my arse over what we're paying for our contents policy.

After switching contents policies and adding public liability coverage and accident and illness coverage (both necessary under husband's new work arrangements) with the same insurer, we're still in front by $470/year.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5079 on: December 13, 2015, 05:57:48 AM »
Looked to see what a repair manual would cost for our "new" vehicle, gasped,and found it though a library database instead. Will print a bit at a time and come out way ahead (yay laser printer, and this because the library is running out of money and is likely to have to dump that database at any time).

ponyespresso

• Stubble
« Reply #5080 on: December 13, 2015, 08:05:09 AM »
found a small plastic jar and dumped my extra face cleaner into it from the dregs of the larger bottle that no longer had enough to pump.

Yesterday I wanted to ice skate after my daughter's lesson. So I decided not to pay (keep reading, I'm not a leech)  My rationale was that I signed up for lessons, and have missed 3 out of 4 due to being sick (or DD being sick). So I was going to just tell them I was doing a make up lesson that day, because after a lesson you can keep skating and the lesson includes skating fee. It worked out fine, and it turns out my instructor was out skating and he gave me a short private lesson. sweet! Helps make up for the missed lessons, hopefully next Tuesday I will actually be able to go.

My last savings was ast night I wanted to read some books on finance and was tempted to buy a Kindle book. Instead I borrowed a couple ebooks from my library via OverDrive app: Suze Orman's latest, "The Money Class", and some of "Stop Acting Rich Start Acting like a millionaire" or something like that.

It was almost a no spend day. But paid $1 for daughter to have hot cocoa after class.

Oh and my last one. I just downloaded iBotta the other day, and had one recipet to scan. But I had already recycled the egg cartons and I needed to scan them. So I went out in the snow and dug through the recycle bin and pulled them out so I could save 75 cents.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5081 on: December 13, 2015, 08:11:58 AM »
Changed the brake rotors, pads and oil & filter on my wife's 2005 Honda Accord.  Used a $5/off coupon for the oil & filter on the already discounted $23 oil & filter deal :).  And did it all in about an hour and a half...
I'm about to do the same, but for my 2000 Accord V6.  Bought OEM parts online for a savings of over $100 (shipping was free, too).  Also plan on replacing the front bearings.  Should be like a new car after the first of the year.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5082 on: December 13, 2015, 08:46:24 AM »
This was yesterday, but close enough. ;)
I was reorganizing my art space (read: actually organizing for the first time in forever jesus what a mess) and the area clearly needed some additional light source. I had an extra lamp from an old DIY light table I made (tupperware+canabalized lamp+scanner glass+tracing paper = MacGuyered light table) that I no longer needed (got an actual and much more portable version as a gift from some too-generous friends).
But the lamp didn't have a base, since I'd kinda... repo'd it for the makeshift appliance.
No problem.

Nailed it to the wall.

;D

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5083 on: December 13, 2015, 08:47:04 AM »
Our 10 year old microwave has been arcing at random times for a few months now.  Usually when I'm trying to soften small amounts of butter or coconut oil, so I've been avoiding using it for that.  But the other night it did it with a mug full of soup, and this morning with a mug of coffee.  So I stomped upstairs and started looking online at new microwaves.  Then it occurred to me to Google the problem.  Most likely culprit is the waveguard which is just a little plate that is held in place with one screw inside the oven.  Got on eBay and ordered a sheet of mica to cut a new replacement (actually enough for two plates) for $2.97.  Way cheaper and hopefully the microwave will stay out of the landfill for another 10 years.

On a similar vein, I have a fancy digital bathroom scale that I thought had died because I replaced the batteries and it was still saying "Low Batt" and then shutting off.  Last night I picked it up and heard something sliding around inside.  Turns out, it takes 4 batteries, but only two are visible when the battery compartment is opened up.  So it's been operating off two of the original cheap batteries for almost 5 years (put two new ones in a year or two ago).  Just popped in four freshly charged batteries and it's working again.  I feel like and idiot for almost tossing it.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5084 on: December 13, 2015, 08:49:15 AM »
Our 10 year old microwave has been arcing at random times for a few months now.  Usually when I'm trying to soften small amounts of butter or coconut oil, so I've been avoiding using it for that.  But the other night it did it with a mug full of soup, and this morning with a mug of coffee.  So I stomped upstairs and started looking online at new microwaves.  Then it occurred to me to Google the problem.  Most likely culprit is the waveguard which is just a little plate that is held in place with one screw inside the oven.  Got on eBay and ordered a sheet of mica to cut a new replacement (actually enough for two plates) for $2.97.  Way cheaper and hopefully the microwave will stay out of the landfill for another 10 years.

On a similar vein, I have a fancy digital bathroom scale that I thought had died because I replaced the batteries and it was still saying "Low Batt" and then shutting off.  Last night I picked it up and heard something sliding around inside.  Turns out, it takes 4 batteries, but only two are visible when the battery compartment is opened up.  So it's been operating off two of the original cheap batteries for almost 5 years (put two new ones in a year or two ago).  Just popped in four freshly charged batteries and it's working again.  I feel like and idiot for almost tossing it.

Hee! Those are both great fixes! Goes to show you how worth it is to just stop and think for a minute. It's so easy and tempting to just to chuck it...
:<

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5085 on: December 13, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
Orvell, your picture is so peaceful. What a great work space, with the cat. :)

Today: home day (oldest is still not 100% better). Finished knitting a scarf, which will go in the basket for future gifts I may need. Started searching thru cross stitch patterns for bookmarks to make for next Christmas. I unearthed the blank bookmarks when I was looking through the craft stash - I figure it will be a good project and use up what I have (since yeah, I have a bit of dmc floss too).

Dinner will be leftovers from last night.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5086 on: December 13, 2015, 12:34:21 PM »
Systematically searched for coupon codes before ordering Christmas presents (found 20% off almost everything, on top of the advertised rebates).

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5087 on: December 13, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »
Orvell, your picture is so peaceful. What a great work space, with the cat. :)

Today: home day (oldest is still not 100% better). Finished knitting a scarf, which will go in the basket for future gifts I may need. Started searching thru cross stitch patterns for bookmarks to make for next Christmas. I unearthed the blank bookmarks when I was looking through the craft stash - I figure it will be a good project and use up what I have (since yeah, I have a bit of dmc floss too).

Dinner will be leftovers from last night.

Thanks!
(And props to you! Finishing up and using up project supplies is pretty much the hardest thing ever... :/ )

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5088 on: December 13, 2015, 06:45:50 PM »
Butchered our first backyard rabbit today... quite an experience, but it was sure delicious!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5089 on: December 13, 2015, 07:11:29 PM »
the cores in a separate bag to use in smoothies.

Great idea! I freeze strawberry tops for smoothies but never thought of saving pineapple cores. Thanks for the inspiration.

Butchered our first backyard rabbit today... quite an experience, but it was sure delicious!

Good on you! I just butchered our first backyard chicken and agree on both the overwhelming nature of the experience and the unique value of eating animals with which you had a personal relationship.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:14:48 PM by jengod »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5090 on: December 13, 2015, 07:13:08 PM »
My transport arrangements were disrupted just as I got into the city this morning, so I walked the final two kilometres to work.

I should (pack appropriate footwear and) do it every morning.

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5091 on: December 13, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »
Ate leftovers and packed my lunch..... got to start somewhere

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5092 on: December 13, 2015, 08:35:13 PM »
Made a big batch of refried beans (in Instant Pot) for the week.
Didn't leave the house today, so saved on gas and no money spent.
Looked through coupons but saw nothing I needed or wanted to save . . . so instead piled the papers one by one on top of the cat next to me on the couch.  Free entertainment for the cat as he enjoyed ripping them and free entertainment for me because he is hilarious.
Also spent a good portion of this rainy day watching personal finance videos on youtube - free education and inspiration!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #5093 on: December 13, 2015, 08:36:48 PM »
I dragged my old bread machine up from the basement and actually made my own loaf of bread, instead of paying a dollar for one. I used to bake all our bread, then for some reason got out of the habit.

I biked to the store and cashed out beer cans I found in my commute this week for a bag of marked down whole wheat hamburger buns, and pocketed the extra change.

I pulverized 16 dehydrator trays of pumpkin mash, and spread out 8 more trays that are running now.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5094 on: December 13, 2015, 11:54:46 PM »
My in-laws texted me to ask for more Christmas gift ideas for my husband. (They're just really feeling for him over the work situation.)

A flurry of texts later, and they surprised him with a voucher for another advanced rider training course.

This will lower his bike insurance premiums, and reduce our monthly expenses.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5095 on: December 14, 2015, 12:46:37 AM »
1) Rewore a fancy floor length dress from 2009 to work Christmas party.

2) BBQ'd hamburgers for dinner tonight instead of ordering in, which we wanted to do.

3) Fitting a bunch of my daughter's old clothes since we've both lost weight doing a Whole 30.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #5096 on: December 14, 2015, 06:36:46 AM »
Looked to see what a repair manual would cost for our "new" vehicle, gasped,and found it though a library database instead. Will print a bit at a time and come out way ahead (yay laser printer, and this because the library is running out of money and is likely to have to dump that database at any time).

Try CutePDF (free software) and 'print' to PDF instead?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5097 on: December 14, 2015, 11:18:41 AM »
Rebooked with Southwest after a fare dropped - picked up $87.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5098 on: December 14, 2015, 11:44:23 AM »

Printing to Microsoft .xps files also saves to disk and saves paper.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5099 on: December 14, 2015, 02:42:44 PM »

Not a bad idea, actually, but I have acrobat professional for work anyway, so I can just do it  with no software hassles.  Think I will – then we can only print the parts we actually need to carry out to the vehicle. (Note it's not healthy for tablets to be in close proximity to my husband when he's working on a car.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:44:33 PM by Rural »