Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020627 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7750 on: December 18, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
In talking to my dad, realized we've been filling our propane canisters all wrong. I guess he's friends with an amerigas guy, who said the practice now is to fill the trade out containers no more than 3.5-4lbs in the 5lb tanks. And it's $19 for the exchange most places. My dad put me on to where we can fill at gas stations for $1.99/lb. So that'll be $10 instead, and we'll actually be getting more propane!

And just because we're persnickity nerds, we weighed our newly exchanged tank vs his recently refilled tank. Ours is much lighter. Double whammy on losing money there.

Just don't forget the upfront cost of a propane tank.

We already have them. Hence having been trading them out.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #7751 on: December 18, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »

Ah. I should have figured they'd charge a person up-front for a trade-out cylinder.  Before you decide to keep the one you have, make sure to check the date code on it. They're only good for 12 years before they need to be re-certified, so make sure the one you have is as new as possible, for the highest savings!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7752 on: December 18, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »

Ah. I should have figured they'd charge a person up-front for a trade-out cylinder.  Before you decide to keep the one you have, make sure to check the date code on it. They're only good for 12 years before they need to be re-certified, so make sure the one you have is as new as possible, for the highest savings!

Yep, I appreciate the reminder! One of the things my dad does is keep them until they're about to expire, then do the trade out on them once, for newer tanks.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7753 on: December 18, 2016, 01:31:31 PM »
DianeC: Where do you buy your vanilla beans? I'm booking for a new source :-) I, too, go through a lot of vanilla. I have three large canning jars at various stages right now. I hate it when I use one up and don't have more marinating!
I bought about 50 beans through Amazon.  I thought I got a decent price, but I can't remember what I paid (it's been a while because I don't go through beans quickly).

I had a good experience with Beanilla.com.

Sold a vintage children's book on Amazon. The $25 will go directly into an investment account.

Sold some outgrown cloth diapers on eBay. The $20 will go into cash savings.

frugalfelicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7754 on: December 18, 2016, 02:27:39 PM »
Changed cell phone plan - saving $5.65/month.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7755 on: December 18, 2016, 02:43:59 PM »
A long time ago someone shared on these forums where you can sign up for free stuff from Francios Et Mimi through amazon. Well, today I got a free 4 setting flatware set of 18/10 steel and a borosilicate tea pot. The flatware will be excellent while we have guests (we currently only have 4 place settings, haha, and we're expecting like 12 people!). And the tea pot will be a gift for a guest, which fits well with the teas I've already bought her!

The company confuses me, but so far I've gotten a free phone charger, headphones, these two things, and one other thing I'm forgetting. No weird spam or anything, and it all seems well made. They don't even require you to do a product review, since amazon doesn't allow that anymore.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7756 on: December 18, 2016, 02:46:21 PM »
Made a bunch of Christmas presents and stocking stuffers out of materials I already owned instead of paying 10-20$/gift. Crafting skills are paying off this year.

Basic leatherworking and sewing is paying off more than anything else, for the record. Woodworking as a close third, but my husband has done this years woodworking.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7757 on: December 18, 2016, 05:25:25 PM »
Went to Goodwill to buy speakers for DH. He built an amp for one of his masters classes, and has been borrowing some of our living room speakers. Now he'll set the amp and "new" speakers up in our garage/home gym. For $13,  (well, plus $25 materials during the term, but that was unavoidable) we have an amp that would cost ~$4k to buy. ...he's pretty cool.

When at Goodwill, found a big unused bamboo cutting board for $3 and a pair of virtually unworn Keens in my size for $30, and a leather purse for $6 that was in great shape. Plus a little $0.99 milk glass vase that will round out the trio I have in my dining room built ins. A good haul today!

For dinner, we're cutting down boneless pork chops from a big loin we got at Costco.

At the grocery store, found a "local blend" coffee- basically they took all the extras from a bunch of coffees they carried and mixed the beans together. This is an incredibly high end local chain, and they DO NOT CARRY bad coffee. It's all locally roasted stuff, minumum $13/lb. This blend was $7/lb. I'm excited to try it! Especially since our current coffee is super weak- we bought the Poor Man's Blend from amazon for subscribe and save for like $5/lb, and I don't think we'll repeat it- need to use nearly twice the grounds to get a moderately strong cup of coffee, and even then, super flat flavor. My cheap-but-tasty coffee quest continues!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7758 on: December 18, 2016, 06:33:15 PM »
Wrapped up neighbor gifts using stuff we had on hand instead of buying new gift bags.

I've been frustrated by my wardrobe lately and feeling nothing fits quite right. I purged another dozen items from my wardrobe instead of going out and buying new cheap things that probably also won't fit quite right.

We celebrate an early Christmas on our own before we fly home to visit our families. Tonight we had a fancy dinner, including two fillet steaks and a much nicer bottle of wine than we typically drink, for around $35. Tomorrow morning we'll have homemade brioche cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting, satsuma mandarins, and hot chocolate while our toddler plays with his "new" (eBay) Duplo blocks.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #7759 on: December 19, 2016, 11:35:14 AM »
-took public transit instead of Uber on a recent night out
-had family over for lunch instead of going out (usually $25pp at a restaurant)
-said no to going to an upcoming kids' concert with friends (tix $25+ - seriously?!)
-swapped babysitting with family member instead of hiring a babysitter
-watched free movie on Netflix rather than ordering one for $5 via On Demand or iTunes (before wouldn't have batted an eye at doing the latter)
-suggested less expensive dinner options instead of salmon or steak (trying to get down that $1000/mo grocery bill - commence face punching pls)
-decided not to go on an unnecessary weekend trip to another city later this month
-agreed with family members not to exchange gifts at Christmas (except for the kids, for whom we're doing inexpensive presents)
-decided not to go overboard by getting friend yet another baby present when I went over to meet her new baby and instead cooked a meal (cost <$5 to make) and brought it over
-did not succumb to year-end random charity solicitations (stuck to our planned giving)
-chose place with happy hour drink and food specials when meeting up w/ a friend last week and made a dinner out of the cheap burger special

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7760 on: December 19, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »
Bought two more packs of cheap sourcrout. The shops are having a price fight on Norwegian favorite Christmas food. I don't eat this article much, but ii can he kept for a year at last. And I can start eating it more often. I have also started to eat carrots more often as that is a very cheap vegetable. I also boyght cheaper potatoes the last few times.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7761 on: December 19, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »
-decided not to go overboard by getting friend yet another baby present when I went over to meet her new baby and instead cooked a meal (cost <$5 to make) and brought it over

Speaking as a currently-pregnant parent... I can pretty much guarantee that your friend appreciated the meal they didn't have to cook more than they would've appreciated another baby present. Good move, friend! :)

There's something about tiny howling humans who hold you hostage via boob that make food planned and cooked by SOMEONE ELSE seem like the hight of luxury.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #7762 on: December 19, 2016, 12:39:34 PM »
I'm off work until January 9th. Today I made breakfast for all of us. Sent the older two girls to school with a packed lunch and snack from home. Sent hubby to work with a lunch and snack from home. The little one and I haven't moved from the house nor do we plan on it. Lunch at home. Gathered 6 eggs from our chickens. Have a big pot of chili in the crockpot for dinner that used canned tomoatoes from our garden last summer and deer meat from a deer we harvested. Smells good!

Doing a little laundry, a little cleaning, a little organizing. Playing with the little guy, would love a nap but I doubt that happens.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7763 on: December 19, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »
In talking to my dad, realized we've been filling our propane canisters all wrong. I guess he's friends with an amerigas guy, who said the practice now is to fill the trade out containers no more than 3.5-4lbs in the 5lb tanks. And it's $19 for the exchange most places. My dad put me on to where we can fill at gas stations for $1.99/lb. So that'll be $10 instead, and we'll actually be getting more propane!

And just because we're persnickity nerds, we weighed our newly exchanged tank vs his recently refilled tank. Ours is much lighter. Double whammy on losing money there.

15lbs of propane in a 20lb tank has been normal practice for exchange places for years now.  Refilling is definitely the way to go, plus you can refill a nearly-empty tank without losing the remaining propane.

The trade-out programs charge you a lot for your initial purchase (if you don't have a canister to trade in, you're paying for a tank).  You can swap out an old tank, though, and get a newer one from the exchange place for the normal exchange fee.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7764 on: December 19, 2016, 01:14:56 PM »

Speaking as a currently-pregnant parent... I can pretty much guarantee that your friend appreciated the meal they didn't have to cook more than they would've appreciated another baby present. Good move, friend! :)

There's something about tiny howling humans who hold you hostage via boob that make food planned and cooked by SOMEONE ELSE seem like the hight of luxury.

My ount brought us two meals once when my father had just died.  My mother, brother and I appreciated it a lot. It is indeed a good idea.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #7765 on: December 19, 2016, 01:53:58 PM »

LOL Kitsune!  I totally agree and remember loving food so much more than gifts when my son was a newborn. :)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7766 on: December 19, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »

LOL Kitsune!  I totally agree and remember loving food so much more than gifts when my son was a newborn. :)
As someone without kids or any hardships, I would love food.  I brought food home from work on Friday (catered event leftovers). My DH and I were both so happy that we didn't have to cook dinner.

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #7767 on: December 19, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »
I walked over to a cheaper pharmacy to get meds for the flu. I'm sure I spent 1/3 what I would've spent at another store!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7768 on: December 19, 2016, 02:58:24 PM »
Picked up a free blender from my local Buy Nothing Project. Our little bullet blender has been giving up lately.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #7769 on: December 19, 2016, 03:04:18 PM »
A friend and I used a $25 off $75 coupon at a delicious fancypants steak house.  We ate like queens.  I also returned a small item to the grocery store.  I freecycled some unwanted foodstuffs to a grateful lady.  I planted into soil a spider plant baby that I had received on Freecycle, hopefully it grows up into a nice plant to clean the air in my home.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:07:15 PM by mc6 »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7770 on: December 19, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »
Still wrapping Christmas presents from my stash of paper bought in post-Christmas sales over several years.

I visited a friend last night who had her kids' (huge pile of) presents wrapped in downright twee Christmas paper. When I commented on it, she said, "Isn't it cute? It was only $15 a roll."

I love making presents look beautiful but you don't need expensive paper to do that. It's more about technique ... and carefully saved ribbons.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7771 on: December 19, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »

I visited a friend last night who had her kids' (huge pile of) presents wrapped in downright twee Christmas paper. When I commented on it, she said, "Isn't it cute? It was only $15 a roll."

And here I thought spending 3$/huge roll of cute paper (dashunds in sweaters on kraft paper... cmon!) was a ludicrous expense. I should be finishing that roll this year - after 3 years of making gift recipients laugh and comment, I'm ok with the expense, but 15$/roll wtfffffff

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7772 on: December 19, 2016, 03:34:57 PM »

I had to look "twee" up.  Apparently it means "excessively or affectedly quaint, pretty or sentimental."

It is best to practice using a new word as soon as you here it. "How twee would it have to be for $15 a roll?!!!"

I bought a new roll of wrapping paper ($3 Cdn). It has a different pattern printed on each side, so you can have variety without buying a second roll. It is quite a big roll, and I don't buy many presents, so this roll is going to last a long time. I should make a note of which side I use for each person, so I can use the other side next year. More likely, I'll donate it to someone who is still in the big-time gift-giving phase of life.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7773 on: December 19, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »

I had to look "twee" up.  Apparently it means "excessively or affectedly quaint, pretty or sentimental."

It is best to practice using a new word as soon as you here it. "How twee would it have to be for $15 a roll?!!!"

I bought a new roll of wrapping paper ($3 Cdn). It has a different pattern printed on each side, so you can have variety without buying a second roll. It is quite a big roll, and I don't buy many presents, so this roll is going to last a long time. I should make a note of which side I use for each person, so I can use the other side next year. More likely, I'll donate it to someone who is still in the big-time gift-giving phase of life.

Or, with some creative folding, use the 2nd side as part of the package decoration! How fucking twee would that be! The Pinterest the shit out of this!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:47:55 PM by G-dog »

frugalfelicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7774 on: December 19, 2016, 04:09:49 PM »
Got notified by my internet provider that they are lowering the price of service - saving $4.57/month!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7775 on: December 19, 2016, 04:16:45 PM »
Or, with some creative folding, use the 2nd side as part of the package decoration! How fucking tweet would that be! The Pinterest the shit out of this!

That is probably what it is designed for. The Mustachian eye looks at it as a 2 for 1 sale, though.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7776 on: December 19, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »

Or, with some creative folding, use the 2nd side as part of the package decoration! How fucking tweet would that be! The Pinterest the shit out of this!

Pinterest is the home of twee. That's exactly the look she was going for.

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #7777 on: December 20, 2016, 04:11:07 PM »
I had a crave for Chinese food, so asked my husband to fry up some frozen potstickers instead of suggesting we go out for lunch.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7778 on: December 20, 2016, 04:55:27 PM »
I packed food for our cross country flight today. When we ended up sitting on the tarmac for 90 minutes after landing, I was really really happy that I had. We could be civilized and wait until we got to my parents house instead of racing off the plane and buying the first overpriced crappy airport food we encountered.

frugalfelicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7779 on: December 20, 2016, 04:58:45 PM »
Had to take my kid to an appointment right around dinner time - knew we would be hungry and knew he would ask to go out to a restaurant, so I packed snacks. He still asked but I said no and we ate the snacks instead.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7780 on: December 20, 2016, 06:22:44 PM »
Picked up a free blender from my local Buy Nothing Project. Our little bullet blender has been giving up lately.

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that your Buy Nothing group is showing signs of life!

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #7781 on: December 20, 2016, 06:29:27 PM »
Took my dad shopping today for Christmas gifts. We went to 4 stores, but I bought nothing! It was a win for me for sure.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner all were at home.

Gathered 6 eggs from our chickens. Our tiny rural water carrier sent me my bill today with a note that I can now pay online! Hurray for saving a stamp ( and me being able to put it on automated billing).

Went Christmas caroling tonight with our church. The kids and I had fun and it was free.

Still on budget for all of our categories for the month. I think we are going to make it work!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7782 on: December 20, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »

Alas, it appears to be barely working and with a major leak. Sigh. Will be posting a gentle admin reminder about honesty in our gifts here soon =\ Work in progress. But hey, a few successful giftings per week, way more life than the 100% dead group I inherited a couple months ago!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7783 on: December 20, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »
Baked a cake to bring into work as a combo birthday celebration for a team member and Christmas celebration for the team. MUCH cheaper than buying presents for my teammates, which is what several people have done, and provides the same amount of general good feeling.

Working on a master list of meals we can cook in bulk and stash in the freezer, and a (much shorter!) list of meals to make next week while I'm on leave. Next week's batch cooking will help us get through Uber Frugal January without resorting to takeaway. It'll skew our grocery spending for December, but eh. We'll survive.

Alas, it appears to be barely working and with a major leak. Sigh. Will be posting a gentle admin reminder about honesty in our gifts here soon =\ Work in progress. But hey, a few successful giftings per week, way more life than the 100% dead group I inherited a couple months ago!

Oh dear :-( and here I was getting annoyed at the woman on ours who responds to every. single. listing. saying she wants (whatever it is that's being given away). Sounds like you have much bigger issues!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7784 on: December 20, 2016, 07:56:03 PM »
Today, I spent money to save money. We replaced our 22 year old water heater. It wasn't draining anymore, and best advice was replace it BEFORE it goes. Even though it is in our garage, it shares a finished wall, and I would prefer NOT have water damage. Hopefully the improvement in efficiency will pay off as well!

Baked a cake to bring into work as a combo birthday celebration for a team member and Christmas celebration for the team. MUCH cheaper than buying presents for my teammates, which is what several people have done, and provides the same amount of general good feeling.

Working on a master list of meals we can cook in bulk and stash in the freezer, and a (much shorter!) list of meals to make next week while I'm on leave. Next week's batch cooking will help us get through Uber Frugal January without resorting to takeaway. It'll skew our grocery spending for December, but eh. We'll survive.

Oh dear :-( and here I was getting annoyed at the woman on ours who responds to every. single. listing. saying she wants (whatever it is that's being given away). Sounds like you have much bigger issues!

Oh yes. Sadly, when the groups first get going, it's a lot of "ISO" and no responses and other such depressing things. Takes quite a bit of guidance to develop the culture! It's a bit depressing because my last group was *so* amazingly kind and well formed. Except for adding new members, I virtually didn't have admin duties! But hey, my New Group will get there too, I just need to get my butt in gear and keep hustling =) It's getting more active by the day!

As for your group lady: karma will happen! Gifters recognize those folks and will start choosing other members to gift to. The hope is, the neighbors will have their say!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7785 on: December 20, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »
Bracken Joy, my random number generator mysteriously seems to never pick the greedy lady when I need to raffle something ;-) so yes, I'm sure many people are quietly guiding resources towards those who seem most worthy.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7786 on: December 26, 2016, 05:55:58 AM »
Asked a baby shop to price match for the car seat we bought. They agreed!

Made a huge batch of homemade pizza for dinner. The crust was sooo good.

Showed my husband how to 'make' liquid hand soap (diluted castile soap with a little essential oil mixed in).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7787 on: December 26, 2016, 09:14:07 AM »
Been hosting over for over Christmas. A couple things:
-planned ahead of time. We had purchased whole turkeys, big pork loins, etc, on sales after thanksgiving
-cooking things, vs having food delivered or going out or leaning on convenience foods
-cheap entertainment options so far
-bought our christmas gifts black friday/cyber monday on big sales

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #7788 on: December 26, 2016, 09:41:04 AM »
Today we are all home from work and school. I had a big lasagna from Christmas Eve, that we ate for 2 meals and we have tons of other leftovers, so I put up three lunch sized portions to freeze for one of us to take to work next week. Got 5 eggs from our chickens. Eating leftovers from Christmas Eve and Dinner. We haven't went anywhere, so no gas spent.

We have been cleaning, organizing etc. today. It's yucky and rainy here so we haven't been outside except to tend the animals.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7789 on: December 26, 2016, 11:04:18 AM »
Bracken Joy, my random number generator mysteriously seems to never pick the greedy lady when I need to raffle something ;-) so yes, I'm sure many people are quietly guiding resources towards those who seem most worthy.

Are the group guidelines that it is supposed to be random? I never say I'm going to give something in the buy nothing group or freecycle randomly. 
I always give it to a polite person.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7790 on: December 26, 2016, 11:55:55 AM »

Are the group guidelines that it is supposed to be random? I never say I'm going to give something in the buy nothing group or freecycle randomly. 

Nope. Up to the gifter to choose how to gift.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7791 on: December 26, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »
The only personal travel I'm planning in 2017 is to go to Omaha for the equestrian World Cup.  Previously, I reserved a room at the Hilton that is attached to the event venue to the tune of $660 for three nights, and was dragging my feet on booking the flight since it was $450ish last month.  This morning, I snagged a flight returning one day later for $328, cancelled the Hilton reservation and booked four nights at a La Quinta near the airport for $379. Hoping to also get some points from work travel to cut that down a bit more. I figure three days of cabs back and forth to the venue will be cheaper than my original hotel reservation, plus I get to stay to the very end instead of catching a plane Sunday night.

Now if only I can talk someone into going with me and splitting hotel and cabs...

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7792 on: December 26, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »
Took my toddler to the library and pet store for some free entertainment. She's been asking to see cows so if it warms up a little this afternoon we'll probably go to a free historic farm.

Gave her some junk mail to color on, then shredded it and used it as bedding for the chinchilla cage after she was done. Free and less wasteful!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7793 on: December 26, 2016, 03:06:43 PM »

Nope. Up to the gifter to choose how to gift.

My group's norms (not rules) are that it's either first to comment, or you raffle. I raffle when more than one person has commented by the time I check back, or when I know it'll be a popular item I'll state in my post that I'll wait a day and then raffle.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7794 on: December 26, 2016, 06:31:04 PM »
- perogies, ham and frozen veggies for dinner instead of going out with our big group. Would be easy to do because I'm exhausted

- reading tons of books from the public library

- playing games over the holidays - a few new ones a a few old ones
One I ordered from a Amazon after reading it recommended on the forum called "Anomia" and it's excellent!

- eating up leftovers from our Christmas celebrations

- staying out of malls and stores. I've spent enough money this month!

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #7795 on: December 27, 2016, 12:18:12 AM »
The only personal travel I'm planning in 2017 is to go to Omaha for the equestrian World Cup.  Previously, I reserved a room at the Hilton that is attached to the event venue to the tune of $660 for three nights, and was dragging my feet on booking the flight since it was $450ish last month.  This morning, I snagged a flight returning one day later for $328, cancelled the Hilton reservation and booked four nights at a La Quinta near the airport for $379. Hoping to also get some points from work travel to cut that down a bit more. I figure three days of cabs back and forth to the venue will be cheaper than my original hotel reservation, plus I get to stay to the very end instead of catching a plane Sunday night.

Now if only I can talk someone into going with me and splitting hotel and cabs...

Horsepoor... I am so happy to see someone on this forum that's thinking of going. I went solo to Vegas in 2015... walked back and forth 1.5 miles to the venue, packed food to eat and loved every minute. Unfortunately, flights from Edmonton to Omaha SUCK, the USD/CAD exchange rate is terrible (and getting worse) so I will probably watch on FEI TV this time. But if I find a decent and reasonably-priced flight, maybe I'll check back and see if you're still looking for a roomie!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:20:22 AM by Step37 »

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #7796 on: December 27, 2016, 06:27:26 AM »
I'm hosting a party tomorrow, so I scoped out a newly opened Aldi. We felt like we'd traveled back in time -- the prices were almost shockingly low. I got non-alcoholic beverages for the party and gluten-free flour for the fried chicken for pocket change. The alcohol will be provided by gifts of beer and wine over the past year (I can't drink because of some medication I'm on). I will definitely be making this store part of my regular rotation.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7797 on: December 27, 2016, 06:58:01 AM »
Had my usual list of "things I am looking to buy", which I checked for Boxing Day sales on. No good sales on things we actually needed, and so didn't buy anything.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7798 on: December 27, 2016, 07:00:45 AM »
My dog chews a nylabone to the point where it becomes dangerous (just too much plastic coming off it) in about 2 weeks.  Rather than replace them this often- we've started using a saw to chop off the chewed end (because of course the dog only chews ONE side, and will not TOUCH the other one) so it is chewable again :)  We can do this twice before the bones become too small for me to want to give them to him.

Now we get about 6 weeks out of a bone instead of 2 :)

Wish there was a way to make the dog realize these things are double sided....

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7799 on: December 27, 2016, 07:27:02 AM »

Horsepoor... I am so happy to see someone on this forum that's thinking of going. I went solo to Vegas in 2015... walked back and forth 1.5 miles to the venue, packed food to eat and loved every minute. Unfortunately, flights from Edmonton to Omaha SUCK, the USD/CAD exchange rate is terrible (and getting worse) so I will probably watch on FEI TV this time. But if I find a decent and reasonably-priced flight, maybe I'll check back and see if you're still looking for a roomie!

Glad you enjoyed the trip last time!  Yes, the tickets aren't cheap; the lower sections were pretty much sold out, so I went for the upper sections and still... over $400 total... but last year I happened to be in DC for the Washington International and it was thrilling, so I know I'm going to love it.  Jumping is fun to watch, but dressage is totally my jam.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!