Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020929 times)

tanhanivar

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #900 on: May 27, 2014, 09:51:04 PM »
A friend texted to see if I wanted to meet for lunch in the city.

I said since it was such lovely weather, why not bring our lunches in and take them to the botanic gardens a block away! That should save us both at least $15.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #901 on: May 28, 2014, 07:58:33 AM »
Figured out how to make iced coffee at work, instead of buying it.

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #902 on: May 28, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
Replaced car coolant reservoir. Saved $60 getting it online, another hour's worth of shop labor and also not having to drive to mechanic and wait.

10 minutes to get old one off, 5 to get new one on.

CentimentalFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #903 on: May 28, 2014, 08:26:44 AM »
biked to work.

payitoff

« Reply #904 on: May 28, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »
took the bus/train to work today

sew my old straight cut pants and made them into skinnies.

made a 99 cent trip first before going to the grocery - was able to buy produce (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, organic kale and spinach, cherry tomatoes and romaine lettuce) at 99 cent each.

nvmama

• Stubble
« Reply #905 on: May 28, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »
finally, after many many years without a raise, received one, and immediately submitted the forms to have it contributed to my 403B.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #906 on: May 28, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »
Brought my lunch to work, and declined to go out to lunch with coworkers (was tempted, though...)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #907 on: May 28, 2014, 12:49:44 PM »
Nice!  So the raise is really for your "future you".  :)

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #908 on: May 28, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »
Saved the last of some slightly dry barley-and-savoury-mince with miso soup. I just mixed up a concentrated version out of a sachet of miso paste (under 1/2 the required hot water), stirred it through and heated it all up together. Surprisingly delicious - like adding a good beef stock. And I would have struggled to eat that last serving otherwise.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #909 on: May 28, 2014, 11:27:38 PM »
Here's what the first version of my grocery list for the week included: EVOO, fish, milk, flour, garlic

After challenging myself to cut down, it looked like this: flour, garlic

I left the store with flour, garlic, and unplanned sesame oil that was 50% off (I *was* out, and can't argue with 50% off).

Because I bought enough garlic for at least a couple months, I probably won't even have to go grocery shopping next week. Except for cat food--that might be needed next week.

I get a weekly CSA box, but it's prepaid. So don't worry: I am still eating well, just utilizing things already in my freezer and pantry!

Also: I'm going to freeze my yogurt starter for the next time I buy milk.

mostlyeels

« Reply #910 on: May 29, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »
Replaced the elastic on the bottom of my plastic bag holder.  Only saved myself a few bucks, but a big-little achievement for me, as the last time I unpicked something and re-sewed it was in high school.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #911 on: May 30, 2014, 02:48:59 PM »
I needed a prescription filled for my cat (who is very old and suffering from renal failure) and after getting a price quote on the meds from the veterinarian I did a little online research and realized that the same medication is used for humans on kidney dialysis.  I was then able to get the same medication from my local pharmacy for $25 cheaper than they were charging at the vet's office.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #912 on: May 30, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
I made instant coffee at my desk instead of buying it.

naturelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #913 on: May 30, 2014, 04:09:45 PM »
The Library said I never returned the book,  and I knew I did.  It was about to be overdue.

I went the library and the guy told me they would put a request in for a shelf search.   Nope, I said I would do the search right now.

And I found it!! :)

I've had the same thing happen at my public library. The item is almost always on the shelf. I love my library, but I have had this happen multiple times. Just gotta check my account online after turning something in to make sure it actually got checked in. A small price to pay for all of the materials they keep me hooked up with. :)

I saved money today by resisting the urge to stop for pizza on the way home. I ate a salad that I already had at home instead.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #914 on: May 31, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »
Used store points to get 40 cents off per gallon on filling my ridiculous pig-clown truck.

Used coupons for $12 off said truck's annual oil change (I don't drive it much), $10 off some lumber and pavers at Lowe's, and about $9 in coupons for my grocery shopping at Fred Meyer, plus the 5% credit card rewards for the Lowe's and grocery bills.  Decided against going to the $8 car wash that has unlimited vacuuming (it takes forever to get the dog hair out of the velour seats) and will instead bust out the hose and the shop vac and do it myself tomorrow.

Instead of stopping for ice cream, went home and pureed up some frozen banana with almond butter - both cheaper and healthier than Sonic.

Pressure washed all the stinky winter horse blankets in the back yard, and will re-waterproof them tomorrow.

Line dried the dog/horse towels.

Bottled up my latest homebrew.  About $100 worth of Imperial Red for around $45 in ingredients.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:23:06 PM by horsepoor »

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #915 on: May 31, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
Used store points to get 40 cents off per gallon on filling my ridiculous pig-clown truck.

Face punch!  Heh heh.  I know you were asking for one.

Bottled up my latest homebrew.  About $100 worth of Imperial Red for around $45 in ingredients.

Hug.  I know you prolly weren't asking for one.

:-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #916 on: May 31, 2014, 05:35:19 PM »
Thank you for the face punch.  And the hug.  Luckily my daily driver is getting close to 44 mpg lately, and the pig truck is saved for equine transportation and other macho truck duties such as carting home yards of gravel.  14 years old and hopefully will keep doing its duties for another 14+.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #917 on: May 31, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
Used up 2 gift cards I received.

schoenbauer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #918 on: June 01, 2014, 02:25:50 AM »
I biked to a small (free) electro festival 35km away from my house. took me all in total about 4.5 hrs and saved me about 14 euros (return ticket for the train). YEAH!

fitzgeralday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #919 on: June 01, 2014, 08:45:06 AM »
Love this thread :)

I walked to Target as opposed to driving to satisfy my grocery and printer shopping needs.  Also, I realized that the lowest cost printer Target had to offer cost $50.  I ended up purchasing, but then quickly returned upon finding a used model nearby on craigslist for $10...winning!

Begonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #920 on: June 01, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »
Another shout out for libraries here.  Yesterday picked up a tattered and taped-up paperback of Your Money or Your Life from my local branch that I'd had transferred from the main branch. Devouring it like a trashy novel.

erae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #921 on: June 01, 2014, 10:23:43 AM »
I made one of my Strong Woman Frappes at home - waaay cheaper than the coffee shop and I'm using french vanilla whey protein powder, so it's become a delicious, caffeinated, light meal/big snack

I sold my wedding dress!  Only got 30% back, but that's 30% more than I thought I'd see back from such a poor (and beautiful!) investment.  Now fingers crossed she loves it and doesn't take advantage of the 30 day return policy we agreed upon.   

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #922 on: June 01, 2014, 06:25:09 PM »
Put together a curry in the crockpot (which I bought a week ago for $10 off craigslist) and put it in the fridge to get started tomorrow morning just before I go to work.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #923 on: June 01, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »
I got to go to watch the USA men's national soccer team play against Turkey in a World Cup warm-up game for free today because I took advantage of a season ticket holder presale to buy a bunch of tickets that I resold for double the face price on Stubhub and that more than paid for my own ticket.  I was also able to use another presale event to pay for my season ticket, but that's a story for another day.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #924 on: June 01, 2014, 07:08:09 PM »
Put together a curry in the crockpot (which I bought a week ago for $10 off craigslist) and put it in the fridge to get started tomorrow morning just before I go to work.

Share the recipe? All my curries are hands-on, and I need more crockpot recipes.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #925 on: June 01, 2014, 08:24:11 PM »
Used my frozen ginger for the first time and it worked beautifully! Sliced off an inch for my chai tea and just peeled the chunk with a vegetable peeler. Returned the huge ginger root to the freezer for next time.

Love, love, love having ginger available at any time. So often, there's a recipe I would love to include it in, but I don't have any in my fridge, or its all shrivelled up and unusable.  Thanks for this fantastic idea!

Monij87

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #926 on: June 01, 2014, 08:45:17 PM »
I didn't buy Starbucks while waiting at the airport. That's one of my fav travel on treats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #927 on: June 02, 2014, 07:30:01 AM »

Share the recipe? All my curries are hands-on, and I need more crockpot recipes.

Here it is! http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2011/11/slow-cooker-thai-red-curry-chicken.html
Well, approximately - regular mushrooms instead of shiitakes, and green beans instead of bamboo shoots. It involves some browning beforehand which I did at night, then put it in the slow cooker and into the fridge to get started today. I'm cooking it on low instead of high as it says in the directions, because I'll be gone longer than the 3-4 hours it wants on high.

I've never owned a crockpot before, so I can't vouch for this recipe, but hoping things turn out. There are a lot of good looking recipes on that website.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:42:05 AM by peppermint »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #928 on: June 02, 2014, 07:44:22 AM »

Here it is! http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2011/11/slow-cooker-thai-red-curry-chicken.html
Well, approximately - regular mushrooms instead of shiitakes, and green beans instead of bamboo shoots. It involves some browning beforehand which I did at night, then put it in the slow cooker and into the fridge to get started today. I'm cooking it on low instead of high as it says in the directions, because I'll be gone longer than the 3-4 hours it wants on high.

I've never owned a crockpot before, so I can't vouch for it, but hoping things turn out. There are a lot of good looking recipes on that website.

Thanks! Do post the result, will you?

Generally, by the way, I skip the browning stage for meats in the crock pot. It's meant to seal in the juices, and it may help with beef, keeping it moist. This shouldn't be any sort of problem with chicken, so you might consider trying it and saving some time next time if this recipe turns out. The frying of the curry paste is probably necessary, though, so it may be that it doesn't save enough trouble to matter.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #929 on: June 02, 2014, 08:18:59 AM »
I got to go to watch the USA men's national soccer team play against Turkey in a World Cup warm-up game for free today because I took advantage of a season ticket holder presale to buy a bunch of tickets that I resold for double the face price on Stubhub and that more than paid for my own ticket.  I was also able to use another presale event to pay for my season ticket, but that's a story for another day.
I don't get this attitude. I ate for free today, because my wages more than paid for my food.

The amount you effectively spent is, by definition, the amount of money you would otherwise additionally have now if you didn't go. It seems to me that you spent twice the nominal price of the tickets, since that's the amount you forewent by not selling your ticket.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #930 on: June 02, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »
This weekend, I mended NINE pairs of pants. Stitched up 4 yoga pants and patched 5 jeans. Still have 2 to go, but I actually like them and wanted to make sure the patching method worked as advertised ;) Given that I buy my pants for $15-25 each at TJ Maxx, that's roughly $180 of value salvaged! (I would only have purchased like 3 pairs, though, if I had gone shopping instead).

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #931 on: June 02, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »
Nice work, galliver!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #932 on: June 02, 2014, 09:09:16 AM »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #933 on: June 02, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
Saturday:
- Went to a free screener of How to Train your Dragon 2 (and didnt buy popcorn)

Yesterday:
- Started the quilt I'm making as a wedding present
- Fixed the neighbor's dock our friends broke for $5
- Tried to grill food for a favorite receipe instead of pan frying it and didn't care for it as much, but ate it anyways.
- Planted basil and cilantro seeds, and tomato plants.
- Did a set of clothes with dryell rather than dry cleaning clothes.  (I know, don't own dry cleaning clothes...  But my professional evironment requires that level of clothing, so I keep costs down as I can.)
- Went for a walk in the evening with my husband at a nearby pond/lake.  Came up with an activity (a hunt for a list of various items, like "a man fishing" or "5 dogs") to keep my nephew occupied next time he visits on his own and we take him down there.

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #934 on: June 02, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »
I've had a great couple of weeks:

Sold my gas guzzler, switched to Honda Fit (more than doubled my MPGs)

Cancelled my Verizon Wireless plan and started on the $10 a month Republic Wireless plan instead (savings of about $60 per month!)

Just signed up for a Vanguard index fund (opened with $6,000. Waiting to see what my monthly deposit will be)

Husband installed clothes line in yard. Have only dried one load since (in the middle of a rainy week).

Started making my own granola bars for me and DH to bring to work. Much tastier, more bars per batch  at a fraction of the cost.

Feeling really good!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #935 on: June 05, 2014, 12:11:03 AM »
This week I convinced my friends to have a picnic lunch together instead of going out like we have a weekly-ish habit of doing. We agreed we should do it more.

However, I think the festivity of going out helped make it a thing/habit to see each other and eat together, and was a necessary step in making this happen. But it's fun to precipitate positive change and move forward. :)

Too bad I'm moving away in 2 months.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
    • Financial Literacy Conversations
« Reply #936 on: June 05, 2014, 04:16:44 AM »
I've had a great couple of weeks:

Sold my gas guzzler, switched to Honda Fit (more than doubled my MPGs)

Cancelled my Verizon Wireless plan and started on the $10 a month Republic Wireless plan instead (savings of about $60 per month!)

Just signed up for a Vanguard index fund (opened with $6,000. Waiting to see what my monthly deposit will be)

Husband installed clothes line in yard. Have only dried one load since (in the middle of a rainy week).

Started making my own granola bars for me and DH to bring to work. Much tastier, more bars per batch  at a fraction of the cost.

Feeling really good!

Please, can you post the recipe of the granola bars?  Thanks!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #937 on: June 05, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »
I don't do granola bars, but I've been making homemade Kind bars (mostly nuts) and they are awesome, and pretty easy.  She talks about a candy thermometer, but I just use the meat thermometer and use a honey/maple syrup mixture and whatever nuts and dried fruit I have on hand:  http://www.theyummylife.com/Homemade_KIND_Bars

This week I've been putting leftover coffee into a jar in the fridge, and just enjoyed it as iced coffee this morning.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #938 on: June 05, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »
I don't do granola bars, but I've been making homemade Kind bars (mostly nuts) and they are awesome, and pretty easy.  She talks about a candy thermometer, but I just use the meat thermometer and use a honey/maple syrup mixture and whatever nuts and dried fruit I have on hand:  http://www.theyummylife.com/Homemade_KIND_Bars

This week I've been putting leftover coffee into a jar in the fridge, and just enjoyed it as iced coffee this morning.
Awesome!  Thanks for the link. 

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #939 on: June 06, 2014, 10:32:08 AM »
I've been making these granola bars: http://www.mykitchenescapades.com/2013/06/no-bake-chewy-granola-bars_23.html

They are very good, but have more sugar than I'm used to, or like. I'm going to try different versions with less sugar on future rounds.

zarfus

• Stubble
« Reply #940 on: June 06, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »
Fixed my oven with a new ignitor, saved 50% buying on Amazon vs ANY "online appliance parts shop".  This is one of the easiest repairs I've ever done in my life, oven works like a champ now.

Fixed my leaking faucet free by calling Moen to see if they would send a replacement part, even though I don't have proof of purchase anymore.  Saved $20 by a simple phone call with great customer support.

Called TWC to see if I could lower my service to save money.  Lowered the price for the same speeds by $20/mo.

Just ported out of Straight talk to Airvoice.  Saving $35/mo now.

Cheers!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #941 on: June 06, 2014, 11:22:54 AM »
Eye exam at Wal-mart for $59. Brought the prescription home and will be ordering a coupe of new pairs from Zenni as soon as my eyes undialate enough for me to see to order. I'll come out seeing better and set for the next two years for under $100.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #942 on: June 06, 2014, 05:59:23 PM »
Generally, by the way, I skip the browning stage for meats in the crock pot. It's meant to seal in the juices

This is what some recipes *tell* you it's for, but if you go on to cook the meat in either liquid or humid crockpot air, there's no need for a seal. Cook's Illustrated and Alton Brown have both done bits debunking the "sealing in juices" thing, but I can't find links or copies right now. The browning stage is really to get some good maillard reactions going and improve the meaty flavour of your meat.

But yes, aside from that, skipping the browning stage is fine for all kinds of recipes! A nice sorta-curry dish that lends itself to both a crockpot and maybe skipping the browning stage is Do Piaza (basically, twice as much onions as meat, simmered with warm spices till everything breaks waaaay down).

P1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #943 on: June 06, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »
Had somebody buy me lunch.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
    • Financial Literacy Conversations
« Reply #944 on: June 07, 2014, 06:01:56 AM »
I've been making these granola bars: http://www.mykitchenescapades.com/2013/06/no-bake-chewy-granola-bars_23.html

They are very good, but have more sugar than I'm used to, or like. I'm going to try different versions with less sugar on future rounds.

Thank you bunches!  I've copied the recipe and plan to try these soon!  We certainly buy the ones at the store a lot (mainly from Aldi now), but making them at home means we can control what goes in AND save money too! 

But without the added preservatives, what do you do to keep the bars fresh for a week or so?

Begonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #945 on: June 07, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »
Split my streaming Netflix bill with my sister going forward, so instead of  paying $8 a month I pay $4. She wrote me a check for a year's worth, I gave her my login info, now my niece and nephew are enjoying a few seasons of Family Ties while home sick from school. And I've paid for three sewing lessons so I can start making my own clothes and whatnot. Happy times.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #946 on: June 07, 2014, 02:34:24 PM »
1) Made a loaf of fruit bread in the bread machine.
2) Made homemade pizza for our family for lunch.
3) Texting with friend who is a long distance away instead of a long distance call. 
4) Sent away claim forms from physio rather than letting them accumulate = money in my bank account, not the insurance company's coffers.
5) NOT using a/c yet. This may be a record for me! Window fans work great!! First year with one in my bedroom window. (3 small fans set in a rectangle frame from Walmart -- it's COLD in my
Room by morning!)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #947 on: June 07, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
Started yesterday, and will finish today, replacing the sillcock (heheh, sillcock... yes I'm 12) that froze and split over the winter (didn't get it done yesterday because I kept having to go back to Lowe's for different parts).

Packed my coffee and food for the little horse show event I went to this morning, so only expenses were gas and the entry fee.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #948 on: June 07, 2014, 04:24:31 PM »

I've never owned a crockpot before, so I can't vouch for it, but hoping things turn out. There are a lot of good looking recipes on that website.

Ahhh I love eating crockpot meat. Soooo yummy

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #949 on: June 07, 2014, 04:27:58 PM »
Gerard, you might be looking for the Good Eats episode called "Myth Smashers." Here is the searing excerpt: WWW.foodnetwork.com/videos/to-sear-or-not-to-sear-98517.html

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!