Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020815 times)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #14000 on: August 26, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »
Used a rebate gift card to order needed items from Amazon. I tried to use it to pay my car insurance, but the agent couldn't get it to work. Didn't use it for something to 'treat myself' unless you count replacing a vacuum cleaner attachment a treat :)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14001 on: August 27, 2020, 06:59:54 AM »
I ate dinner from my own kitchen at home the last 2 nights--this is big for me.  I also ate 3 perfect cherry tomatoes from my balcony tomato plant.  Freshly picked homegrown cherry tomatoes are the best. 

Today I'm going to see the dentist, for free.  Health insurance that allows for free dental cleanings is the best. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14002 on: August 28, 2020, 11:06:54 AM »
Did not go on a Target run today. Made a list, checked my Target Circle offers, looked on the website to make sure the items were actually in stock before I drove over...then realized none of the things on the list were *needs*. Instead, I made some cornbread and cleaned up my kitchen while listening to a free audiobook, and puttered in the garden.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14003 on: August 28, 2020, 01:13:55 PM »
-Used $4 in rewards at Walgreens before they expired. Picked up a few household items we needed.
-Used 3x$1 coupons at the store. I rarely use coupons, so this was a standout for me
-Continuing using garden produce in our meals, eating leftovers, menu planning, etc

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14004 on: August 29, 2020, 03:34:26 PM »
In the last month have sold several things on Craigslist - desk, chair, bikes, jeep storage bag, deep fryer, beach umbrella, one textbook (need to list the rest), end tables, monitor, projector and a guitar.  Headed out of town for work for five weeks, I'll ramp back up when I get home. 

Found several meat deals including $1.50 whole chickens, $2 lb grass fed 90% lean ground beef and $1.39 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts.  Also found a couple coupons for our favorite coffee, Seattle's Best, so stocked up on bags of coffee for $3 each. 

Not frugal?  Signing a lease for an apartment in January for my college age daughter for this school year.  University has shut down, but she'll stay in it. 

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #14005 on: August 30, 2020, 02:06:50 AM »
We ran out of wraps, so my daughter made some for her lunch. It took 10 minutes, and as a bonus, no plastic packaging.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14006 on: August 30, 2020, 06:12:55 AM »
Borrowed my friend’s label maker instead of buying my own label maker or ordering labels online. She needed a set of earbuds, so I traded her a free pair that I recently got in a buy-one-get-one-free deal for the use of her label maker.

Instead of buying food for a lunch potluck, I used up some extra pastry dough and a pear I had in the fridge and made French pear tarts.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14007 on: August 30, 2020, 07:33:41 AM »
-Returned a couple of items we didn't need, but my husband purchased at Costco. The return process with COVID has gotten much longer, so I had to really convince myself to deal with it.
-Found my running belt (holds phone/keys), which I thought I'd lost. Can return the new one I ordered, when it arrives.
-Remembered to use a cash back site when buying new running shoes. i try hard not to buy clothes/shoes that I don't need, but running shoes are a regular purchase i make allowances for.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14008 on: August 30, 2020, 07:54:43 PM »
My barber shop was so busy that it was an hour wait, so I left and will let it grow awhile longer.  So many people were out and about the past 2 days---argggh!  Saved $20 plus tip.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #14009 on: September 01, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »
I had an unused windshield wiper blade from my old car that is technically 1" bigger than the wipers for my truck.  Tried it on, and it actually works better than the supposedly correct size.

Now I only need to buy one replacement blade.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #14010 on: September 02, 2020, 05:47:43 AM »
I haven't gone anywhere in 6 days.  Just been working in the garden and around the house. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14011 on: September 02, 2020, 07:49:37 AM »
The fence around my compost pile got squashed by a falling tree, and it was rusty anyway and the posts were rotting.  I made new posts from sharpened branches from the fallen tree, and new fence out of about a million feet of ivy and grape vines that I wove together.

Wow, that's hard core mustachian/green gardening for the win.  Love it @MyAlterEgoIsTaller!

SWEET MOVE!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14012 on: September 02, 2020, 07:55:06 AM »
I was digging around in my eBay messages for something, and discovered I had a $25 off of a $25.01+ purchase coupon. i looked around for options of things I needed, and made a purchase. I ended up going with a slightly more expensive seller, to hit the minimum spend, but paid just over $3 in taxes, and got my item otherwise for free. Glad I checked in my messages!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14013 on: September 02, 2020, 09:44:51 AM »
I had a grocery delivery today and when I double-checked my order I realized they'd charged me full-price instead of sale price on something I'd done a bit of a stock-up on because of the 45% sale discount. Almost $12 - I got them to issue me a credit for the difference, although I had to do the calculations for the CSR to figure out how much of a credit to issue. I guess they don't get paid enough to do math :-P 

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #14014 on: September 03, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »
Got Mr. Z to trim my hair...straight and down to my waist, it was too long to fit in the clip that I use to twist it into an updo. Two inches off the ends fixed the problem.
Saved $30 on my groceries with sale prices and coupons.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14015 on: September 03, 2020, 07:24:43 PM »
I cut my hair again! I'ts not so hot this 3rd time around- because I'm getting a bit loosey goosy haha and don't really care. I've got long curly layered hair, so it doesn't really matter so much how it is cut. At least for these days, where I am mostly on Zoom calls. So another 60 bux saved.

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
« Reply #14016 on: September 04, 2020, 06:53:02 AM »
Not really a huge money saving act, as I actually spent money :)
I ordered some books a few days ago, and instead of shipping I chose another option (the webshop sends it to a near bookshop where I can pick it up personally). I made two orders, so the total shipping cost was 2 x $1, instead of 2 x $3.5. $5 saved and I got the chance to walk 10 minutes and pick up the books anytime I want, instead of just sitting at home, waiting for the couriers.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14017 on: September 04, 2020, 07:39:25 AM »
It's my birthday. Plan A was foiled because with both of us working from home my partner was unable to sneak special cake or ingredients in. Plan B, I had hinted at a Dairy Queen ice-cream cake, and we almost went together to get one, but oh no! the freezer is way too full to hold leftovers due to our extra covid stock up. Plan C, we have the free Wendy's frosty cards.  We figured we'd use them when we ran to pick up his prescription at the pharmacy... but his prescription never arrived at the pharmacy so we might as well stay home... Plan D for the win: we worked together and made a shortcake, topped with with strawberries out of the freezer and a birthday candle and my partner told me sweet things until the candle burned down and I made a wish.  It was positively lovely, zero covid risk and almost free. 

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14018 on: September 05, 2020, 08:54:45 AM »
I have now officially removed my payment info from the website and I AM OFFICIALLY BREAKING UP WITH AMAZON.  Yep, I said it. 

I am currently making sun tea on my balcony and cold brew coffee in the fridge.  I did a brief pharmacy refill drive-through errand early this morning and will stay in the rest of the day.  It was a brutal workweek, I am feeling run down, and there are entirely too many carefree unmasked people out and about in my area. 

I have my crochet, lots of yarn, coloring projects, and household chores to do.  I may take a free nap later once my clean sheets are on the bed. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14019 on: September 06, 2020, 11:57:40 PM »
I wear the same style shoe all the time and I walk a lot. I'm also very hard on the soles and most shoes wear unevenly. I always have multiple pairs in circulation so they dry out thoroughly between wearings. They come in a nice assortment of colors. I bought the first pair at a walking store type shoe place. New, they typically cost between $110-$120/pr. Now, i buy them on eBay. On Friday, i found a very lightly used pair for 29.99 + 8.00 shipping. I saved two other colors that were brand new, but at 59.99, I was reluctant to pull the trigger, so I just left them in my cart. Yesterday, I got an email saying the seller had reduced the price to 49.99 with free shipping. I deliberated for a day and then said, "Yes, please." Now I'm set for shoes for a good long while.

Bonus: I have skinny feet and before I found this style, I was constantly re-tying my untied shoelaces. These have threaded elastic and can't possibly come untied, which is really, really nice.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14020 on: September 07, 2020, 05:27:09 AM »
I wear the same style shoe all the time and I walk a lot. I'm also very hard on the soles and most shoes wear unevenly. I always have multiple pairs in circulation so they dry out thoroughly between wearings. They come in a nice assortment of colors. I bought the first pair at a walking store type shoe place. New, they typically cost between $110-$120/pr. Now, i buy them on eBay. On Friday, i found a very lightly used pair for 29.99 + 8.00 shipping. I saved two other colors that were brand new, but at 59.99, I was reluctant to pull the trigger, so I just left them in my cart. Yesterday, I got an email saying the seller had reduced the price to 49.99 with free shipping. I deliberated for a day and then said, "Yes, please." Now I'm set for shoes for a good long while.

Bonus: I have skinny feet and before I found this style, I was constantly re-tying my untied shoelaces. These have threaded elastic and can't possibly come untied, which is really, really nice.
hmm let me guess, for the fun of it... Camper Peu?

Ducknald Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #14021 on: September 07, 2020, 06:13:54 AM »
I wear the same style shoe all the time and I walk a lot.

I'm not the only one then. I usually get about 18 months out of mine which is pretty good considering the mileage they do. I know people will argue that I should get some that can be re-souled however I've never found anything like that comfortable and the costs are higher.

Ducknald Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #14022 on: September 07, 2020, 06:15:20 AM »
1. Cycled ten miles to pick up some plumbing parts rather than drive the car.

2. Fixed a leak myself rather than calling out the plumber.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14023 on: September 07, 2020, 09:09:47 AM »

hmm let me guess, for the fun of it... Camper Peu?
Nope, but you made me look, lol. I've switched to something with a harder sole material, because they seem to last longer. I'll give you a hint: it's a brand that's popular in the medical and restaurant fields.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14024 on: September 07, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »
I wear the same style shoe all the time and I walk a lot.

I'm not the only one then. I usually get about 18 months out of mine which is pretty good considering the mileage they do. I know people will argue that I should get some that can be re-souled however I've never found anything like that comfortable and the costs are higher.
Dear Mr. Duck,
I'm sure getting proper footwear when you're a mustachian duck with webbed feet is a frightful challenge, but there's no way I'd wear a single pair of shoes daily for that long.
I worked retail for fourteen years. I have skinny, bony feet. Clearly, I am much older than you in human years. There is no way I would jeopardize my body by disrespecting my feet/legs/hips/spine etc. by wearing my shoes too long.
"Pardon, you say you don't have any of these problems?" ask Dicey's feet. "Don't worry ducky, you will."
Sincerely,
Dicey

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14025 on: September 07, 2020, 12:48:11 PM »
I am making home made tomato sauce from my garden tomatoes. The tomatoes are coming in fast and furious and ripening faster than we can eat them. Last night I made a roasted tomatoes, ton of garlic, olive oil sauce, poured over cooked spaghetti, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella! A meal for the Gods! Out of this world!

Sauce I am making today is in the crockpot. Once cooled, I will freeze it. Another gift we will enjoy as the weather gets cooler and we can appreciate our garden tomatoes! Heavenly!

Not sure if I really saved money because the garden did cost us a small fortune! Maybe we broke even??

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14026 on: September 07, 2020, 03:13:39 PM »
We dropped off brownies at a friend's house yesterday, and she gave us four coconuts from her produce delivery box. I've never attempted anything with coconuts, but I turned them into coconut water & coconut milk. It was quite an experience. Not confident I would repeat it often, but no food went to waste! And, free coconut milk & coconut water for my time & labor.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #14027 on: September 07, 2020, 06:58:32 PM »
Garage in downtown Chicago is having a promotion for free parking Mondays for the next couple of weeks. Because of COVID, still not feeling comfortable on the el. Drove , then used our Art Institute Membership to see two exhibits and walked around a bit. This morning I bottled lemon syrup that I make from leftover lemon rinds and froze herbs for winter. Dinner was chicken thighs on the grill that I got for 50% off.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #14028 on: September 08, 2020, 05:32:56 PM »
My state spent $500k giving residents $30 gift certificates to random small, local businesses, to try to help a little with the current situation.  My random certificate gave me a choice between $30 toward a framed print by an abstract landscape artist, or $30 of artisanal vinegar.  I went with samplers collections of interesting flavors of vinegar, because it will make good Christmas gifts for relatives who like to cook. And I figured I can paint my own abstract landscape for free.  Though now that I think about it, maybe I could make my own weird flavors of vinegar for free too... I should look into that.

I also got a $25 code from Ebay for having a 25-year old seller account, though I don't think I've sold anything in the more recent half of that time.  I ordered a magnetic shelf for the back edge of the top of my stove, but it wasn't quite enough to total the $25.01 minimum, so I also found a vintage paperweight full of different types of rocks and minerals, which will also make a good nearly-free Christmas gift for a geeky relative who collects that sort of thing.

Somehow I missed a credit card payment for the first time in at least a decade, so I called this morning and asked them to waive the late payment fee, and they did.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14029 on: September 09, 2020, 09:35:43 AM »
Installed a trailer hitch on my car, which we need for an e-bike rack.  It took some time, definitely, but no need for a lift or special tools that would justify the several hundred dollars that a dealer or mechanic would charge.  The biggest challenge was figuring out the little differences between my car and the install video, which was based upon a slightly different model. 

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #14030 on: September 09, 2020, 10:05:02 AM »
Found out my electric company gives a $50 credit for buying electric corded or cordless lawn care gadgets.  Emailed completed form with required receipt and picture of gadget.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14031 on: September 09, 2020, 11:12:57 AM »
Found out my electric company gives a $50 credit for buying electric corded or cordless lawn care gadgets.  Emailed completed form with required receipt and picture of gadget.

Feel comfortable sharing the company name?

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #14032 on: September 09, 2020, 12:25:38 PM »
Mixed leftover brown rice and quinoa with squash, green peppers and onions from the garden. Added evoo, kosher salt, curry, cumin and half a bottle of leftover capers. Yummy supper and lunch today!
I don't know what dog groomers charge...but we have always done our own. Bathed two boxers and a bulldog, trimmed nails, brushed, and applied their flea and tick stuff. We also give all of their shots except for the rabies...that we have to get that at the yearly county clinic.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #14033 on: September 15, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »

Feel comfortable sharing the company name?

It's a small electric cooperative in rural New England.

Today's small money saving thing was getting my flu shot at the pharmacy at the grocery store, where they give a coupon with every immunization, for 10% off your groceries.  I saved up a pretty big shopping list to use that on. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:11:31 AM by MyAlterEgoIsTaller »

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14034 on: September 16, 2020, 10:12:32 AM »
GROCERIES
1. Two coupons for free pizza - just paid for extra toppings and tips/delivery - still saved $24 ($12 each pizza).
2. Huge grocery run to Aldi - part serious savings and part sheer indulgence - amazingly saved near $100.
Groceries and cat food elsewhere - used $16 worth of coupons, scored on BOGO and used coupons for free cat food.

GARDEN
3. Garden goodies - peppers, lemon verbena, lemon balm, avocadoes and very soon - PAPAYAS - yay:).
4. Today I'll look up what to do with lemongrass - our two bushes have exploded.

HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS
5. Mr. R. bought a big lithium battery through work - to replace the one on our favorite emergency radio, flashlight, charger. Saved $30 or more.
6. He also fixed and charged the other emergency radio. Saved a $80 radio from the trash.
7. Today I'm recharging the solar power on one of our emergency flashlight/cell phone chargers - Florida sunlight - free:).

Looking into some cell phone changes and possibly a new plan.

COOKING - we're foodies - so we don't skimp - our goal is to get the best ingredients at the best price.
As a passionate cook - I like variety and enjoy creating or trying out new recipes.

1. Finally trying a recipe that's been on my fridge for a solid year:) =
harvested a couple of Persian limes from our tree for Key Lime Pie.
I love Key Lime Pie!
2. Limes are great for any Shrimp dish too - huge Tiger Shrimp from Aldi (seasonal - ten bucks a bag, frozen)
with coconut and lime and pineapple.
3. Today will be Bourbon marinated Salmon filets (half-price on special) with fresh steamed corn-on-the-cob (on sale at Aldi)...

NYT cooking - I'm resisting to pay for their Food subscription... so far anyway:)
But I do get access to some of their food articles/recipes for free which I use for new ideas and seasonal cooking inspiration.

This weekend during football - we'll munch on NYT fall recipe - Savory Corn Fritters.
Instead of the suggested yoghurt/honey as a dip - I'll try it with Mango salsa and Sour Cream/Salt/Lime.
Our Persian limes have just a hint of sweetness to them - we'll see how it turns out.

Anyway - Halloween is approaching
so I picked up BLACK Pasta made with black beans and
ORANGE Pasta made from Lentils. Both at Aldi as a seasonal special.
Ya gotta eat, right? might as well make it fun - now, tell me what would be cool to serve with that?

PS - time to look at my FALL-HALLOWEEN board on Pinterest w/recipes and decor - talk about a time sucker but so much free fun!
I'm thinking fun drinks and weirdo desserts, definitely something with Butternut Squash too, that stuff is addictive.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:21:30 AM by Rosy »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14035 on: September 16, 2020, 02:52:58 PM »
We made wine, pie and several pots of jam from plumbs from the garden.
The freezer is pretty full with self caught fish.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14036 on: September 17, 2020, 01:22:47 AM »
Locked myself out of my house on my way to a dental appointment, with my dog in tow. I thought I had the keys--but my hands were full of leash and purse and library books--not keys. Couldn't get back in the house, couldn't drive my car.

Pre-MMM, I would've just Ubered to the appointment, Ubered to the landlord's office, then Ubered home. Probably about $30 worth. Not very Mustachian!

If it weren't for the scheduled appointment, I could have called SO to have him bring his key. I could NOT cancel/reschedule this appointment because of insurance issues, so I had to get there on time.  I put the dog in the yard and Ubered there with a gift card I had from doing rebates (total cost $2).

To get back, I walked a few blocks to the nearest stop and took the train ($0 with my annual pass I got for free from work) all the way to the end of the line. That left me 1.5 miles from my landlord's office, which I walked. When my agent heard my tale of woe, she gave me a ride home. I was fully prepared to walk the 2 miles home, not knowing she would offer. 

Right after I got my keys, I drove to the nearest locksmith and had a key made for $0.81 that I hid for future emergencies/stupidity.

Total cost for the entirely-avoidable-adventure fee was $2.81, which includes a souvenir key that I can use in case of future brain farts! (Not in including the actual dental work, which I would've paid anyway). So glad I was wearing comfortable shoes and appropriate outerwear!

tl;dr I locked myself out and instead of Ubering all over town to get a spare key, I used a combo of free ride options and shank's mare to get home. Spent under $3 instead of ~$30.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14037 on: September 17, 2020, 02:53:04 AM »
If any of you drink wine, Cavit wine has a rebate offer up to $24 dollars back, one per household. It is on the 1.5 liter size wine bottles. We drink the Pinot Grigio. There are different offers and it goes up to a maximum of 12 bottles and you get $24 dollars refund. I think 6 bottles was $12 refund. I got the rebate at the liquor store and was around the neck of the bottle. Not all bottles had the rebate form. You will need the cash register receipts and circle the wine price, amount of bottles purchased and on the form hand write the UPC number which was also on my cash register receipt.

I think the rebate closing date is in early January. If you don't drink wine, think Christmas, holiday gifts!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14038 on: September 18, 2020, 04:03:40 PM »
Food prepping for the coming week...

1. Homemade granola bars - DD likes Kind bars which are $2 each. I’m making 24 granola bars for for less than $10. Savings: ~$38

2. Hummus - Making enough for at least three lunches. Chickpeas were buy one can get one free. Work cafeteria charges $6 per lunch. Savings: $15

3. Bread - Makes another two to three lunches. Savings: $15

4. Calzone - Enough for two dinners so we don’t order in. Savings: $50

5. Sausage rolls - Enough for five lunches. Savings: $20

Total savings after spending a few hours cooking on the weekend: ~$138

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14039 on: September 19, 2020, 09:31:56 AM »
We made wine, pie and several pots of jam from plumbs from the garden.
The freezer is pretty full with self caught fish.
Lol, do they fall straight down off the tree?

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #14040 on: September 24, 2020, 02:25:52 PM »
- Did 2 emailed surveys about things related to my profession, got $25.
- Saved $1.68 on gas due to some loyalty points thing I forgot about until it asked me if I wanted to use my $1.68 in points.
- Got a random free box of corrosion-proof deck screws in the mail from a product rep.  Used some to attach new window sill nose to replace old rotted one.  Saved trip to hardware store.  Also hopefully saved money on buying ant poison next summer, because the rotted sill corner is where they were getting in.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #14041 on: September 25, 2020, 02:03:06 AM »
Sold a bunch of children's clothes this week. And try to buy some clothes one size up for them from Craigslist. Fortunately, they still do not care whether it is 2nd hand!

Skipped the early breakfast this morning, got hungry, made myself a loaf of banana bread from scratch (and saved old bananes, a few eggs, some nuts and honey from being thrown out). Had fresh warm banana bread as late breakfast and enough leftovers to freeze for 4 breakfasts in the near future!

Bought a 2good2go box yesterday from a bakery shop. Had excellent food in there that the kids indulged on yesterday evening and breakfast this morning and could also freeze 2 full loafs of bread. Saved around 10 euro!

Good week so far!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14042 on: September 25, 2020, 02:47:28 AM »
This is about as small as it gets:

I sleep wearing foam earplugs since I live in an apartment facing a busy Manhattan avenue. One night a few months ago, I was opening my little packet of earplugs (they unfortunately come in individually wrapped pairs) and one of them fell out and I couldn't find it - must have bounced way under the furniture or something. I had to open another pair since one earplug is pretty useless. But I saved it, because I knew that someday, somehow, this would happen again. And I'd need a lone orphan earplug. I'm happy to report that tonight was that night and I'm wearing two orphan earplugs instead of throwing them both away months apart. A savings of about nine cents.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14043 on: September 25, 2020, 07:51:32 AM »
I had loose steering and a clunk in the front end of my truck -- finally dove into it this week.

Found a bad ball joint on the driver's side, potentially sketchy control arm bushings, and both inner tie rod ends were literally loose (as in not tight). I had paid for them to be replaced a while back...glad to find that all I had to do was tighten them. A nice reminder to do my own work, as there's a pattern now of shops/techs making mistakes when working on my vehicles.

Replaced ball joints on both sides, bushings on both sides, tightened the inner tie rods, and also discovered that the alignment cam tabs on the chassis were flattened/bent so I am welding on a reinforcement kit so I can get a proper alignment again. I'm also replacing my front springs to accommodate a heavier winch/bumper.

I shudder to think what this would cost if I were paying someone to do it all!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14044 on: September 25, 2020, 10:24:12 AM »
@Dollar Slice

Loved the $.09 savings, and as a fellow ear plug user, can totally relate

For me:
-Used garden produce. Cut a bunch of herbs & jalapenos from the garden & set them outside with a free sign for neighbors. Not for me, but saved neighbors a ton of money. Herbs are very pricey & I had bags & bags of basil, mint & parsley.
-Continue to sell things we don't need on eBay& FB market place
-I need paper books (too much screen time means I'm not enjoying digital library books), so I bought books at the library book sale. Took a mystery themed "grab bag" & have enjoyed the 6 books for $5 so far. Will donate or sell when I'm done.
-Reducing food waste, making meals at home, freezing leftovers...the basics

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14045 on: September 25, 2020, 09:40:02 PM »
Parked in company-paid parking, even though it's (gasp! /s) over two blocks from my workplace.
Ate my packed lunch, even though everyone else in the office went to the salad place nearby for lunch.
Filled out the paperwork for the 5% match for the company IRA.
Put some recommended books on hold at the public library.
Made out my grocery list based on the sales & deals that will save me the most money.
Using the homemade cornstarch. It's working much better than any store bought!
Haven't turned the A/C on in almost two weeks!
Been working very hard on reducing food waste.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #14046 on: September 27, 2020, 12:14:51 PM »
Instead of buying a cake, I checked my kitchen and right now the house starts to smell delicious from my homemade Apple-cinnamon cake. Hope my co-workers will like it..... This will save me at least 10 euro!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14047 on: September 27, 2020, 01:58:10 PM »
-Cleaned our solar panels, post ash from the wildfires. We're not forecasted to get rain anytime soon, so this helps increase production while we have all the sun. (Make hay while the sun shines?)
-Used garden tomatoes to make pico de gallo
-Listed & sold a few things on Facebook & eBay

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #14048 on: September 28, 2020, 07:16:40 AM »
Instead of buying a cake, I checked my kitchen and right now the house starts to smell delicious from my homemade Apple-cinnamon cake. Hope my co-workers will like it..... This will save me at least 10 euro!

Update: In the office now and only a few slices left. Will be finished before COB today I think.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14049 on: September 28, 2020, 09:30:51 AM »
I've been using Chase pay yourself back to get an extra $150 out of my $600 signup bonus. (I never intended to travel hack, so it was always going to be a cash reward.)

I used a targeted ubereats promotion to get a free dinner. I was suspicious that there was some catch, but no, I had $30 to use free and clear.

We're buying paint during a 30% off sale.

I made soup with tomatoes from the garden and a Parmesan rind I had saved in the freezer.