Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020854 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #11050 on: April 03, 2018, 02:02:44 PM »
Did a 1500 mile road trip to visit friends over the holiday weekend, and did not eat out once.  We hit grocery stores and ate out of the cooler.  The food is better in every way, and we saved oodles of money.  Double score!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11051 on: April 03, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
Not really saving money as much as scoring a good deal:
Picked up a midcentury design coffee table for free. I've been admiring similar models on Marktplaats (local Craigslist) for a while, but people easily ask 100 euros or more for a vintage piece which is just not worth it to me. Our now-former table was on the list to eventually be upgraded, so this was a really timely find.
I''ll give away our former coffee table for free, to keep the Karma going.

Line drying was easy today (sunshine, wind). Made a new batch of DIY detergent. Put the redundant very big houseplant's pot on Marktplaats.

Made spanakopita with spinach + weeds from the allotment. Ground elder is a handy parsly substitute.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11052 on: April 03, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
Saved $200/6 months by switching auto insurance companies again. I think I was a year or so late getting around to it this time. I really need to remember to shop around more often.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #11053 on: April 03, 2018, 05:24:37 PM »
Took my lunch to work like every day this year so far. 

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11054 on: April 03, 2018, 05:29:07 PM »
We live in an area with low property taxes, but we have to buy our garbage pick up.  My husband called the company we've been using (600/year, 3-4 bags) and explained the kids are gone, he's a senior, can they do better.
Now it's 1-2 bags a week, 74/year

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #11055 on: April 04, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
Yesterday was my birthday, so these are the birthday savings:

- Boy2 took me camping last week (ok, I drove....) as my gift. He even handled tent setup, fire starting/tending, and meal prep.

- DW took me out to dinner at a pub I like. We went for happy hour for a single half-price local brew each (Vanilla bourbon stout, mmm!) and we split a vegan pizza to bring down the cost. She had also mapped out a geocache* route through the area so we went on a treasure hunt for a couple of hours afterward. Early night, since I'm back in class.

- Boy1 is taking me on a free wildflower hike that a local conservation group is putting on this Saturday as my gift. He says he will pack the picnic lunch so I don't have to ;)

- Handmade cards <3 <3 <3

*Geocaching is our new obsession - it replaced our Saturday restaurant and pub dates! If you don't know what it is, look it up because it's tons of free fun and available worldwide. You basically use your GPS (or phone GPS) to find cache's other users hide, then sign the log and sometimes trade swag if you want. In our area there are also lots of free to no cost group events. You can spend money on it -- there is a premium service -- but thus far we haven't felt the need. A lot of Little Free Library owners are in on the game and have cache's in their library, so we have been taking evening walks to different libraries and leaving/taking books while also logging cache's :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11056 on: April 04, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »
-Picked up $.02 on the ground
-Drove electric car to/from work
-Leftovers for dinner

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11057 on: April 04, 2018, 11:21:23 AM »
Packed lunches

Drank free coffee at work

And this past weekend
- spent the weekend swapping rooms with the kids
- we purged as we did this
- this means that I no longer feel the intense need to add space to the house (we live in a 2BR, 1BA, 1146 sf house). 

The boys have the master now.  So there is room for a desk for homework.  We have the tiny 2nd bedroom. Room for the bed, a dresser, and a filing cabinet.  We really don't need more than that.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11058 on: April 04, 2018, 01:52:40 PM »
I haven't been on the website it a pretty long time so I have a few things to share:

Moved my cell phone service from ATT to Cricket Wireless:  $143 a month to $102 a month.

Moved my TV service from Dish Network to Sling TV: $100 a month to $27 a month.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11059 on: April 04, 2018, 02:58:14 PM »
Save money where you can, even if the spending sucks:
-Ordering my IVF meds direct from Israel, rather than using a US intermediary. This is half the cost, although a bit more work to do. Still, my clinic has done it before, and made it super easy.
-Related, the nurse mentioned they have discount codes for the ones I have to buy domestically. 20% off the whole order of one of the meds. Woop woop. I totally picked the mustachian clinic, the other clinic I looked at didn't do that! =P

So yeah, I'm *spending* like $18k, but at least I saved a couple grand ;)

Non-IVF:
-Neighbor offered onions, since he started too many. I had open space in the garden plan (cucumbers didn't like the spot last year), so now we have a couple rows of onion transplants in.
-Different neighbor wanted a stationary bike out of his garage. We happily accepted. It's good to add a non jump roping cardio option to our home gym! He also threw in a big ol venison steak, since Husband helped him move some stuff to get the bike out. (Guy just had knee and back surgery in the past year... ouch!)

zachaloo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11060 on: April 05, 2018, 07:53:54 PM »
I switched from Sprint postpaid to MintSIM. Saving roughly $92/mo.

I dumped collision and comprehensive coverage on my car, saving about $45/mo.

I ate leftovers for lunch and dinner. Big day for me.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #11061 on: April 06, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »
Took my lunch to work. Ordered snacks in bulk online for our upcoming road trip.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:43:18 AM by abhe8 »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11062 on: April 06, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »
Took home the bunch of leftover apples from work. Made an apple cake of the solid apples and the rest has been cooked and can be used as vegetables later.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11063 on: April 06, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
-Made breakfast/lunch out of some random fridge items
-Worked from home today, & while the no free food is a downside, my husband then can drive the electric car for free
-We scrapped a date night (not due to money, but I just don't feel great) & will be saving that money for another time

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11064 on: April 06, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »
Made whole-wheat waffles using leftover sourdough starter (among other ingredients). Froze them for easy toaster breakfast.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #11065 on: April 07, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »
I am super excited about this one. This week our Habitat for Humanity ReStore has been having a sale - all books for 5 cents, all cans of paint for 25 cents. I got 3 almost-full cans of paint in the exact shade of green I wanted for 75 cents. We'll use this to paint baby #2's room. I let my son go crazy on the books, and we left with 20 for a grand total of $1. Including tax, I spent less than $2.50.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #11066 on: April 07, 2018, 11:08:26 AM »
I am super excited about this one. This week our Habitat for Humanity ReStore has been having a sale - all books for 5 cents, all cans of paint for 25 cents. I got 3 almost-full cans of paint in the exact shade of green I wanted for 75 cents. We'll use this to paint baby #2's room. I let my son go crazy on the books, and we left with 20 for a grand total of $1. Including tax, I spent less than $2.50.
I love Habitat ReStores!  Great finds you got there!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11067 on: April 07, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »
We’re on a short weekend trip for a family member’s athletic event. Hotel was paid for with points, and I packed breakfast and snacks. I brought lots and was able to share when the hotel breakfast wasn’t open before we all needed to leave this morning.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11068 on: April 07, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »
-Sold a gift card on cardpool. It was a Macy's card left over from our wedding (going on 3 years ago... oops). I kept thinking we'd use it for some kitchen item or gift or something that would come up, but I literally *never* found an occasion where it wasn't staggeringly cheaper to get the item elsewhere. So, $50 GC that was sitting in a drawer to $41 on our amazon account. Fine by me. Just in time to replace some medications, so it's not going to "junk spending" either.
-Traffic was bad enough around a plant sale that we passed up going. We didn't need anything anyway, and need to not spend money right now.
-Bulk bins were 20% off today only at the store, so we stocked up on a couple items.
-Awesome weather today (in spite of some high winds). Opened up the house and turned off the climate control.
-Set up subscribe and save through the manufacturer of one of my prescribed supplements. It's crazy how much cheaper I've been able to get them from when I first started taking it. From like $75+/month, now I'm down to $33/month. It pays to shop around, and even when you've found a good deal, keep shopping around!
-Have some MASSIVE upcoming expenses, so I'm taking out a travel CC to get the sign up bonus. Have to unfreeze my credit (UGH), but it'll be worth it.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #11069 on: April 07, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »
Found a new insurance broker for our home owners insurance.  For once, going local saved us over a 1,000 dollars!  Our current company was upping our cost this coming May.  We said 'no way' and shopped around for the first time in a couple years.  Shoulda tried it sooner....our new annual cost will be a couple hundred less than per year than we've been paying...and 1200 less than they wanted to up it to.

Selling off the last of the 'excess' stuff before our move.  Should get away with a 15 foot uhaul, easily, in 5 weeks.

Wanted pizza; made BLT's instead.

Picked up a penny.

Mowed and cleaned up our own yard. 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11070 on: April 08, 2018, 02:10:00 AM »
I'm giving our bedroom a makeover this weekend.

So far we've only bought a new (cheap) mattress. The new-to-us wrought iron bed and the lamps for the night stands came from a friend. The night stands are two blown out vintage speakers - yay for living with a gear freak. I've inherited a dresser + mirror from my grandma and it's been in the shed for years. My grandfather's chair will go in the corner. I'm glad I have a place for it indoors now. I think we might have some paint leftovers for the ceiling.

I'm going to be so glad to finally have a proper bedroom (we moved in 3 years ago.....).  It can take a long time to find the right furniture for (almost) free but I love how our house turned out. It's not pinterest-worthy, but it feels like home.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11071 on: April 08, 2018, 08:48:09 AM »
-Used electric car for all errands
-took the kids to the school auction/fundraiser. Bid only on a few items I knew we would use (previously, I've bid on things without matching up dates, and we'd be unable to attend.) I'll likely make a donation with corporate match as well.
-We had no power for 9 hours unexpectedly. Discussed going out, but I have a cold & didn't feel up to it. Husband picked up a few items at Costco (food court, plus a bagged salad for me) & we ate over candlelight. It's sad, because we have solar, but when the power goes off, not only does the solar not power the house, we lose our energy credit. :-(

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #11072 on: April 08, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »
I'm giving our bedroom a makeover this weekend.

So far we've only bought a new (cheap) mattress. The new-to-us wrought iron bed and the lamps for the night stands came from a friend. The night stands are two blown out vintage speakers - yay for living with a gear freak. I've inherited a dresser + mirror from my grandma and it's been in the shed for years. My grandfather's chair will go in the corner. I'm glad I have a place for it indoors now. I think we might have some paint leftovers for the ceiling.

I'm going to be so glad to finally have a proper bedroom (we moved in 3 years ago.....).  It can take a long time to find the right furniture for (almost) free but I love how our house turned out. It's not pinterest-worthy, but it feels like home.

It sounds beautiful and very meaningful.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11073 on: April 08, 2018, 03:51:05 PM »

Nothing! 

We made food at home, rode bikes, met the neighbors, played basketball.  Kids are jumping on neighbor's trampoline.  DW is gardening.  I am waiting for my beer to cool in the freezer.

It was a great day!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11074 on: April 08, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »
We returned home from a weekend trip around midday and I immediately threw dinner in the crockpot. It felt like a treat because it’s one of our favorite soups, but it was easy and saved a trip to the grocery store before I get a chance to meal plan.

DH cut the grass with our reel mower, so no gas!

The reel mower doesn’t do a very good job of cutting off wild onions tops, so he plucked them up and brought them inside so I can cook with them. Sautéed in a quiche, maybe?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11075 on: April 08, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
-Made all meals at home
-Found $30 on the ground!!! Will put that towards our "unfunded" 2018 goals

Kids played at the library, I cleaned the house, my husband worked outside, and then we grilled burgers for dinner. A very nice Sunday, and no extra money spent.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #11076 on: April 09, 2018, 01:20:55 AM »
Cut patches from an old pair of jeans to repair a slightly newer pair. I use Shoe Goo to stick the patch on. Works great.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11077 on: April 09, 2018, 06:33:32 AM »
Yesterday, but didn't get a chance to post.

Came home to my car making a weird thumping noise from the speakers without the car even being on or unlocked.

We figured out that water from the last storm got in my car and shorted out the amp under the seat, which was sending a signal to the speakers continuously and draining the battery. Ended up jump-starting the car and removing the amp. So far so good, no more dead battery. I'll happily drive without a radio to keep the car going.

Also found $1 in change in the process!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11078 on: April 09, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »
1. Happy about this one: Just signed up to get $10 ea mo for saving at least $20 for the next 6 months - $60 total at the end of six months. Yes, please!
2. Yesterday, harvested a batch of swiss chard for supper - free organic food, delish.
3. Signed up for a coupon for a free eight-pack of liter bottles of some fancy new sparkling, flavored, spring water. Savings $7 or so.
Perfect for my hurricane water stash.

Now if I could just find some money on the ground:) like so many of you...

LilMissMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11079 on: April 09, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
Rode the Divvy (city bike share) to work in April snow/hail. Arrived at work gross & soaking wet. The $6 I saved today on public transit goes right into my "This-Will-Be-My-Last-Winter-In-The-Midwest" moving fund.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11080 on: April 09, 2018, 04:29:15 PM »
Finally got caught up here!  Y'all are so motivating!

Recently:
I've been focusing on clearing out pantry and freezer odds and ends and posting in the "Eat All the Food in Your House" MMM thread.

This past Saturday, inspired by @Lichen (happy belated birthday, BTW!) I started at home date nights in our downstairs lounge.  This time was a VHS movie, a board game I bought DH for Christmas, and a bottle of wine we had on hand.  I told him next weekend is his choice.

I'm leaving for a work related trip soon, and already have my road and hotel snacks set aside.

Maxing out my IRA contribution again this year.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11081 on: April 09, 2018, 09:55:41 PM »
Not exactly "today" but delayed gratification... there was some fuckery with my recent layoff/company acquisition/rehire fiasco in which my former employer deducted my pre-tax transit costs from my paycheck, laid me off, and canceled the debit card the day before my transit pass would have gotten auto-charged. Apparently it is then legal for them to simply keep the money. (Because basically stealing from the person you just laid off is par for the course in corporate America.) For bonus points, it took them almost five months (and many e-mails from me) from my date of hire to activate the pre-tax transit benefit, and they canceled it instantly when I got laid off.

I decided to file a claim for the money anyway in the hopes that someone would just rubber-stamp it (the customer support person told me to do this). I never heard anything and then today the check showed up in the mail! :-D $131.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #11082 on: April 10, 2018, 04:45:15 AM »
Not exactly "today" but delayed gratification... there was some fuckery with my recent layoff/company acquisition/rehire fiasco . . .

I'm going through the acquisition - layoff/rehire bullshit right now myself, and I'm going to borrow that word 'fuckery' and use it regularly. Thanks

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11083 on: April 10, 2018, 08:08:29 AM »
-Was doing a study, and after I completed the final study, it "failed out" before it took me to the page to get my gift card. Boo! I wasn't sure how to get ahold of them, so I just replied to the text they sent the study link on... lo and behold, a real person answered! Haha. So for a low effort hail mary, I'm now $10 richer.
-Been working on leaving for work earlier, so I can drive more slowly (ahem, not speed as much), and get better gas mileage.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11084 on: April 10, 2018, 09:42:30 AM »
Not exactly "today" but delayed gratification... there was some fuckery with my recent layoff/company acquisition/rehire fiasco . . .

I'm going through the acquisition - layoff/rehire bullshit right now myself, and I'm going to borrow that word 'fuckery' and use it regularly. Thanks

Best of luck! You have my full sympathy. I'm on week four of unending stress. (Although it's getting better...)

LilMissMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11085 on: April 10, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »
Went to a (free) aerial fitness class at a friend's gym as a guest.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11086 on: April 10, 2018, 09:55:36 PM »
Made a simple soup for dinner, split a $7.50 bottle of wine from Aldi, and watched a Netflix documentary instead of going out for dinner/drinks (neither of us have had a day off in a week so dinner out was tempting).

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11087 on: April 10, 2018, 10:10:31 PM »
* Didn't buy any food out of home. Ate a tangerine off our tree, and cooked up several vegetables that were waiting in the fridge
* Punched holes in the bottom of some Solo red cups we had lying around and used them to pot up bean seedlings.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #11088 on: April 10, 2018, 11:16:21 PM »
Yesterday we had a morning tea at work.  There was enough for it it be lunch as well, so today's lunch is still in the work fridge.  Tomorrow has a morning tea as well, so probably more free lunch....

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11089 on: April 11, 2018, 04:24:16 AM »
As usual I brought my own lunch to work. But my colleague who works in the cafeteria tried to convince me to leave my sandwiches for tomorrow and try out the Iranian food today, with hummus and other stuff.
I am sorry, but no, I preferred to eat my own free lunch.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #11090 on: April 11, 2018, 07:24:24 AM »
Wanted to buy some toiletries last night to spoil myself. However, I have FINALLY got to the point where my toiletries are pretty basic and I have no stockpile. So instead of making a silly expensive purchase I would later regret, I got out a new loofah I got for free (store giveaway) and a free body wash sample I got in the mail, had an extra long shower and ended up feeling like a million bucks.

Seems cheap and such a minor thing but toiletries have always been a weakness for me. Anything I can do to create better habits is a win in my book. It's not even about the money, it's more about buying things I really don't need and I know me, after using them for a few times I would go back to using my basic soap.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #11091 on: April 11, 2018, 10:05:38 AM »
Mentally committed to riding my bike to work three times this week. All part of a goal to double last year's modest mileage. My goal is to ride 1500 miles this year (or more). I'm 200 miles into that goal now.

Also had our family dentist visit this morn for a cleaning. I suppose you could say we will save money in the long term b/c proper tooth maintenance. ;)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11092 on: April 11, 2018, 10:09:15 AM »
Fixed my running toilet. Videos that teach simple home repairs are one of the best things about the internet.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11093 on: April 11, 2018, 10:57:51 AM »
-Salvaged the ingredients for a dinner I was planning to make on Saturday. Unexpected power outage foiled our plans. Made yummy chicken satay bowls, that 3 of 4 diners loved.
-Our dishwasher is broken, and digging out the receipts, discovered we are two days from the warranty expiring. But, of course. So, made a bunch of calls to find an appointment.
-Secured some freebies for a trip we're going on next week.
-My parents are coming for spring break. Not only is this less than a camp for the kids (including their flights, which I covered), the kids are thrilled, and there's still money leftover to give them spending money for fun activities.

nurseart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11094 on: April 12, 2018, 06:02:01 AM »
- Filled out a manufacturer rebate for buying a year of pet meds ($50)
- made preserved lemons for the first time (!)
- cooking all meals at home
- DH had to get up earlier than usual so I'm going into work earlier than usual as well and will work an extra hour or so (yea billable hours)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:03:37 AM by nurseart »

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11095 on: April 12, 2018, 07:50:23 AM »
Background - I'm living in a hotel on the road for work along with my brother (we work for the same company and happened to bothe get sent to the same site currently, he's been here forever and has the "apartment" room at the HIE so we have access to the full fridge/freezer in his room. As such, we've been picking up food on sale when I find it. Ribeye steaks $4/lb keeps being a thing at the Kroger up the road, so cook 2 steaks, 2 large potatoes (on sale at $1/lb for large baking russetts), 1 can of vegetables. Total cost $8 in steaks, $2 in potatoes, and less than $1 for veggies plus tax comes out to ~$11. Makes 4 meals (1/2 a steak and 1/2 a potato each per meal) for less than $3/meal we're eating ribeyes, potatoes, and peas. T-bone's are on sale for $4.77/lb this week...

Did I mention the $60/day in per diem for food? :D

kristinsix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11096 on: April 12, 2018, 10:05:35 AM »
I made an "Egg McMuffin" at home.

Microwaving the egg in a mason jar results in the perfect shape and consistency! Just crack the egg directly into the jar, prick the yolk with a fork a couple times, cover with a plate, and nuke it slowly at low power. 3 1/2 minutes at power level 2 is perfect in my microwave, but it took some experimentation. Run an knife around the edge to loosen the egg before inverting the jar onto your perfectly toasted English muffin and assembling your breakfast sandwich goodness.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #11097 on: April 12, 2018, 10:13:25 AM »
I made an "Egg McMuffin" at home.

Microwaving the egg in a mason jar results in the perfect shape and consistency! Just crack the egg directly into the jar, prick the yolk with a fork a couple times, cover with a plate, and nuke it slowly at low power. 3 1/2 minutes at power level 2 is perfect in my microwave, but it took some experimentation. Run an knife around the edge to loosen the egg before inverting the jar onto your perfectly toasted English muffin and assembling your breakfast sandwich goodness.

This works great in a coffee cup or a small pyrex dish too.   It takes some experimentation to get the power and time right.  High power for 80 seconds is perfect in my microwave. 

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11098 on: April 12, 2018, 01:40:13 PM »
This is the first time in a while I can contribute to this since it feels like all I have done the past two months is burn piles of money after a move with no notice or real planning.

Today felt like a turning point, though:

• Earned about $50 in mileage going to and from a convention for work.

• Skipped the convention “junk” but came away with some things I wanted/needed. A phone case ($7 saved); two travel sized body wash ($3 saved + bottles to travel with in the future); pack of gum ($1.50 saved); 2x king sized M&amp;M bags ($3 saved); a pack of pop-tarts ($1.50 saved); a 12oz insulated stainless steel mug; and an air plant in a cute pot for my apartment. Convention swag is really random.
• Lunch was provided by the convention.
• I will go back and do the same tomorrow!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11099 on: April 12, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »
This is the first time in a while I can contribute to this since it feels like all I have done the past two months is burn piles of money after a move with no notice or real planning.

Today felt like a turning point, though:

• Earned about $50 in mileage going to and from a convention for work.

• Skipped the convention “junk” but came away with some things I wanted/needed. A phone case ($7 saved); two travel sized body wash ($3 saved + bottles to travel with in the future); pack of gum ($1.50 saved); 2x king sized M&amp;M bags ($3 saved); a pack of pop-tarts ($1.50 saved); a 12oz insulated stainless steel mug; and an air plant in a cute pot for my apartment. Convention swag is really random.
• Lunch was provided by the convention.
• I will go back and do the same tomorrow!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!