Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020732 times)

MMMaybe

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3450 on: May 28, 2015, 12:25:33 AM »
Made cold brewed coffee so will enjoy an ice coffee shortly.

We have an ant invasion so I made some homemade ant bait out of diatomaceous earth, sugar and peanut butter (these are the kind of ants which like protein) and they are feasting like crazy. So hopefully less ants soon.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3451 on: May 28, 2015, 09:27:11 AM »
We have tiered pricing so my AC strategy is a bit like yours.  I get the house really cold at night while the electricity is cheap (and I sleep better with it cool), and then it is off for the day.
However this is only necessary when (1) the nights are warm - if the nights go below 18C, I can get the house cool enough that just closing windows and curtains keeps it cool during the day or (2) it is incredibly humid for several days, when the house not only gets hot but needs to be dried out a bit.

Our temperatures are swinging a lot these days but so far no AC - I have been tempted and the dog would be happier. So that is my small thing - no AC.

We slept with the a/c on 76. This is huge for us. We've always had it on 68 at night. We keep it a little warmer during the day for cost savings, and also that makes the 76 seem chillier. Maybe we can get that up to 78 later in the summer. It doesn't sound very impressive by Mustachian standards, but it's a big change for us! I can't wait to get the electric bills to compare last year to this.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3452 on: May 28, 2015, 10:16:17 AM »
We have tiered pricing so my AC strategy is a bit like yours.  I get the house really cold at night while the electricity is cheap (and I sleep better with it cool), and then it is off for the day.
However this is only necessary when (1) the nights are warm - if the nights go below 18C, I can get the house cool enough that just closing windows and curtains keeps it cool during the day or (2) it is incredibly humid for several days, when the house not only gets hot but needs to be dried out a bit.

Our temperatures are swinging a lot these days but so far no AC - I have been tempted and the dog would be happier. So that is my small thing - no AC.

We slept with the a/c on 76. This is huge for us. We've always had it on 68 at night. We keep it a little warmer during the day for cost savings, and also that makes the 76 seem chillier. Maybe we can get that up to 78 later in the summer. It doesn't sound very impressive by Mustachian standards, but it's a big change for us! I can't wait to get the electric bills to compare last year to this.
Good job guys. I too am playing the semiannual shoulder minimal-HVAC game. My tools are windows, thermal curtains, and box fans for nighttime cooling. Aside from heating one morning in late March and a few hours of AC one afternoon in May, we'll probably make it close to 3 months this time. Not bad for a place where most people turn off their heat and activate their AC on a single day in April.
The conditioning we get from this will help us reduce usage all summer long by increasing tolerances. I run pretty hot so I have never gotten much above 75 for sleeping - I really can't sleep while sweating - but I'm working on it. I go higher during waking hours.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3453 on: May 28, 2015, 11:36:09 AM »
Decided to bike to work despite chance of showers. Got a soaked pair of pants, but arrived at work otherwise okay. Saved another 5 euros. Just one more day to add for another bus-free week.

Hung laundry out to dry. It got an extra rinse ('cause, showers), but it's dry and extra fresh now.

Sold some used clothes through Marktplaats. Small gains, but every euro counts.
Accepted side gig for some additional income in June.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3454 on: May 28, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »
Next month my husband and I are taking a bucket list trip we've been talking about since we met.

I've been planning it seriously since November, since before I got into MMM/FI, so we're proceeding with it but saving where we can.

We've been fortunate that my husband's flights are covered through work, which saves us thousands of dollars, and last night I saved:

$28 by booking a hotel room through their app instead of desktop site
$52 by booking airline chauffeur (free with my husband's paid-for business class flight) instead of us using airport trains

I know people who would scoff at saving those small amounts of money in the face of thousands of dollars worth of travel expenses, but it all adds up.

CharlesSowAV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3455 on: May 28, 2015, 08:45:25 PM »
Our electricity just randomly went out tonight (I'm in Texas and it was due to all the flooding). Would have LOVED to take the kids to Chick fil A and let them play while we ate in peace....had cereal for dinner instead. Savings? About $31.

Then again, one child just ate marshmallows out of lucky charms and that's it for dinner, so how much do I really win here?

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3456 on: May 28, 2015, 09:03:57 PM »
*  Moving furniture all day yesterday and today.  Free work out and not having to pay movers - double win!

*  Found 11 cents under a couch

*  I want to start doing yoga, so watching free youtube tutorials from a teacher whose style I really like

* Payday today and I have not spent a cent because I am too tired - lol

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3457 on: May 29, 2015, 07:47:36 AM »
Yesterday:

Took stuff to the dump in the next county - they charge $5 for a pickup load vs. an apparently random number between $15 and $30 in our county, and it's about the same distance from our house.  Since we paid property taxes over there for 8 years, I don't feel too guilty about doing this once or twice a year.

Arranged to buy a saddle that I can flip for probably an 80 - 100% profit.

Took photos of stuff to list on eBay this weekend.

Picked a pound of sugar snap peas from the garden and planted Thai basil, cilantro, cucumbers, lettuce and zucchini.

Opened windows and used fans to cool the house down last night, then closed it up and pulled all the shades down this morning.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3458 on: May 29, 2015, 07:50:51 AM »

*  Found 11 cents under a couch

I was in bed the other morning and I felt something cold on my leg and it was a 20 pence piece.:D

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3459 on: May 29, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
Then again, one child just ate marshmallows out of lucky charms and that's it for dinner, so how much do I really win here?

Give her/him a vitamin. It'll be fine.

Yeah, I'd argue that kid wasn't really hungry anyway.  Skipping a meal here and there won't hurt him/her.

A developmental paediatrician I used to work with (when I was working with kids who have developmental disabilities and often strong food preferences or behaviourally based eating issues - think autism) used to tell parents "There's never been a known case of a child deliberately starving themselves to death."  Now, strictly speaking that's not true, when you get into anorexia and bulimia, but in terms of fussy eaters, it's a good reminder not to sweat the occasionally imbalanced diet :-)

lezaline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3460 on: May 29, 2015, 03:18:34 PM »
Woo hoo! Called to cancel our house phone, finally, and in the process was able to upgrade our internet AND get it for $2.00 less per month than what I was paying for a slower service! So that's $24 in found money and and additional $100 or so with the house phone cancellation (this does take into account the Republic Wireless phone we purchased as our "house Phone", we have elementary aged kids at home and want them to have a phone to use in an emergency, but not carry a cell phone).

$125+ for a 20 minute phone call? Yes, please!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3461 on: May 29, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »
Today, I took advantage of a season ticket holder presale from the Major League Soccer team I support and bought some tickets for a very high-profile exhibition game vs. a European championship team at a discounted rate.  Then, I turned around and listed them on Stub Hub for a mark-up.  If they sell, I'll make about $100 in profit per ticket.  Cha-ching!

We also had some pet mess today, so I put together some homemade stain cleaner with hydrogen peroxide, dish detergent, and baking soda.  It took the stains right out and got rid of the odor as well.  It's actually pretty easy to make your own household cleansers.  I don't know why more people don't do it.

After that, I made some pizza dough in my bread machine (powered by free solar-generated electricity) and made a homemade pizza to have for dinner while I watch some sports on free over-the-air TV.

amaik

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3462 on: May 30, 2015, 04:26:50 AM »
Used my peppermint-tea bag a second time. I did not even notice a difference.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3463 on: May 31, 2015, 01:30:46 AM »
Made a list for Costco trip tomorrow ... usually just go up and down the aisles throwing stuff in the cart.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3464 on: May 31, 2015, 03:00:00 AM »
Eating up what is left in the fridge, I'm having chickpea pasta salad for lunch.

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #3465 on: May 31, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »
Want to sell some individual stock for a home down payment.  Called fidelity and ended out with 15 free trades so $120 saved. With a 5 minute phone call.

Tenlha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3466 on: May 31, 2015, 11:02:27 AM »
Quote from: RetiredAt63 on May 28, 2015, 09:27:11 AM

Quote from: Tenlha on May 25, 2015, 08:56:15 AM

Good job guys. I too am playing the semiannual shoulder minimal-HVAC game. My tools are windows, thermal curtains, and box fans for nighttime cooling. Aside from heating one morning in late March and a few hours of AC one afternoon in May, we'll probably make it close to 3 months this time. Not bad for a place where most people turn off their heat and activate their AC on a single day in April.
The conditioning we get from this will help us reduce usage all summer long by increasing tolerances. I run pretty hot so I have never gotten much above 75 for sleeping - I really can't sleep while sweating - but I'm working on it. I go higher during waking hours.

Retiredat63 our house got so humid every sheet of paper started to curl up. I'm looking into dehumidifiers, but they're so pricey!

Zephyr what are thermal curtains? We have some windows on the south side that let in too much heat, but they have plantation blinds to work around.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #3467 on: May 31, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »

Retiredat63 our house got so humid every sheet of paper started to curl up. I'm looking into dehumidifiers, but they're so pricey!

Zephyr what are thermal curtains? We have some windows on the south side that let in too much heat, but they have plantation blinds to work around.

Practical experience for south-facing windows is to keep the sun off the windows, windows let in the light that heats your house but does not let out the heat as easily. As such you should consider a sunscreen or some such to keep direct sunlight off your windows. If you stop the light from reaching your window the heat can't get in. Unless the thermal curtain is outside it most likely does not have any benefit at all unless it is meant for retaining heat in winter.

Our house has been busy too, my dad helped me remove the gravel from a part of the garden (800 kilo's worth) which will now be used for home-grown veggies. The plot is about 10 m2 but this late in the season we'll only use about half of it. Next year we'll go all out on the entire 10m2 :D
Also, after clearing out the shed i built myself a workbench our of scraps I had left. It may not be the prettiest but I can proudly say I made it myself! And if anyone complains about spliters i'll say it's a workbench for use and not just display :D

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3468 on: May 31, 2015, 12:52:20 PM »

Practical experience for south-facing windows is to keep the sun off the windows, windows let in the light that heats your house but does not let out the heat as easily. As such you should consider a sunscreen or some such to keep direct sunlight off your windows. If you stop the light from reaching your window the heat can't get in. Unless the thermal curtain is outside it most likely does not have any benefit at all unless it is meant for retaining heat in winter.

I've never used it myself, but window film has some decent reviews, especially for people in rentals or with other obstacles.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=window+film+reduce+heat

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #3469 on: May 31, 2015, 01:02:59 PM »
Window film has been used in on of our offices, it does work appearently. Shortly after though we started receiving complaints that mobile reception was problematic, turns out the film is a metalic substrate (don't know the correct translation) which also hinders radio signals.
If you use this and have mobile devices at home (cellular specifically) to test before stickering your entire windowfront ;) Wifi signals will also be hindered so reception through this film in your backyard will likely also be reduced significantly.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3470 on: May 31, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »
Window film has been used in on of our offices, it does work appearently. Shortly after though we started receiving complaints that mobile reception was problematic, turns out the film is a metalic substrate (don't know the correct translation) which also hinders radio signals.
If you use this and have mobile devices at home (cellular specifically) to test before stickering your entire windowfront ;) Wifi signals will also be hindered so reception through this film in your backyard will likely also be reduced significantly.

Oh, good to know. We have signal issues anyway with the house mostly underground, and I'd been thinking about film for the one big (east-facing) window in the atrium that heats up in the summer. Maybe just one wouldn't be so bad...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3471 on: May 31, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »
Washed in cold water and line dried.

Shopped at Aldi.

After several disaster nights last week (skipped grocery shopping, had no prepared meals in the freezer, got home late from work) I made up for it this weekend with a couple of hours of batch cooking and freezing meals.

My husband has three work dinners and two nights away (all paid) this week, so he will eat free while I eat cheaply at home.

And not itself a money-saving move but a badge of frugal pride: my threadbare jeans developed a hole on the weekend. That hole represents my denim reformation of 2013 - instead of buying several pairs then always hunting for the 'favourite' pair, I bought one good pair and wore them to death. They have been on the way out for a couple of weeks so I bought a new pair a fortnight ago in anticipation of this fateful day. Identical but so stiff compared with the old favourites. :( (Note: the hole can't be patched but they are fine to wear around the house so I don't have to part with them yet.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:39:19 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3472 on: May 31, 2015, 07:15:08 PM »
I hung two loads of laundry out in the sun rather than use the dryer.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3473 on: May 31, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »
I couldn't remember what day last week we had chicken, but there were still leftovers that smelled fine, so I microwaved them to nuke any bacteria, and will be making it into chicken salad for lunches soon as it's cooled back down. 

Made homemade hummus too.

Used a double fuel points coupon on Fred Meyer to put us over 400 points, which will save me about $9 next time I fill up the truck.

Finally cracked and turned on the A/C when it hit 81 in the house, but only set it to 78.  Will do the windows-and-box-fans dance when it cools off in a couple hours, and hopefully keep the A/C off for another week at least.

Painted my horse jumps with a can of paint that was here when we bought the house.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3474 on: June 01, 2015, 08:53:40 PM »
I accidentally left my wallet at work, so at the store I had to put back everything that was in my cart. That turned out to be a great way to save money.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3475 on: June 01, 2015, 09:32:09 PM »
Spent the morning waking up in the garden, weeding around my veggies. Everything is in now and doing great, so looking forward to plenty to harvest and preserve later this summer!

I had 2 cups of tea this morning while working from home (like I always do) -- reused the tea bag for the second cup.

The Mister's $6.95 Zenni optical glasses arrived. We also went through Ebates when we purchased them.

After lunch, I made a big pot of scratch tomato soup and a batch of pesto for dinner (to smear on bread for faux garlic bread for the guys. Still no oven to bake). Busy afternoon/evening, so wanted dinner done and out of the way so there was no fast food temptation.

Went to my last appointment at the dental hygiene college. My teeth are spotless and healthy now :D It took 4 1/2 appointments, but the savings were well worth it -- plus I did my part to help a student graduate!

Cleaned out the fridge while dinner heated. Our ducks got to enjoy 1/4 head of lettuce that got forgotten in the back of the produce drawer, and I transferred some cooked veg from last week to the freezer soup scrap bucket. Zero food waste.

Elder son had a scout meeting, which necessitated driving due to location and traffic period (not ready to let him dodge rush hour through a tricky intersection on his bike, and too far to walk). Took my laptop and worked at a nearby cafe with free wifi. Cost me $2 for the iced coffee, which was a welcome treat after my cleaning, and I made much more than that by working an extra 1 12 hours. (Normally, I'd spend the evening on the back porch sipping a beer with the Mister, not working, so it's extra money).

On the way home, we swung into the big box store as we drove past. I stocked up on dog and cat food, cat litter, and toilet paper, even though we didn't quite need any of those items yet. I shouldn't need to make a trip up there for at least a month now, so savings in time, gas, and mileage.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3476 on: June 02, 2015, 02:03:48 AM »
I'm getting back on the plan-our-meals train after a month or so of ad hoc meals. This morning I am preparing dinner for tonight and tomorrow, and cooking "building blocks" for meals later in the week (precooking and freezing beans, peeling potatoes and keeping them in water in the fridge etc.). It's rainy and windy outside, so I'm keeping in, posting some stuff for sale on Marktplaats.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3477 on: June 02, 2015, 02:14:45 AM »
It's feeling quite cold here in the UK today, we had a storm last night even though it is supposed to be summer!

I keep reading on forums that people are having to put their heating on but I will just put on a warm jumper and make a hot drink. Our electric bill is only £50 a month and I plan on keeping it that way.:)

Leftovers again for lunch.

My bar of soap has gone all mushy and soft so I'm going to find some way of drying it out so I can still use it.:D

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3478 on: June 02, 2015, 03:12:28 AM »
After 7pm here now and I'm still at my desk (often happens on Tuesdays).

But my gem of a husband packed me an extra homemade burrito with my lunch as an emergency dinner option.

I just reheated it and re-filled my water bottle. Dinner is served. :)

(This will ward off the temptation of the free-but-calorific office biscuit tin, buying food on my way home, or getting home starving and over-eating to compensate.)

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3479 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
I accidentally left my wallet at work, so at the store I had to put back everything that was in my cart. That turned out to be a great way to save money.

HA HA, awesome!

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #3480 on: June 02, 2015, 11:47:46 AM »

My bar of soap has gone all mushy and soft so I'm going to find some way of drying it out so I can still use it.:D

Do you have a face flannel you can sew up the sides, and use it as a soap bag in the shower?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3481 on: June 02, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »
Put the lunch I brought to work into the fridge to save for tomorrow, and ate the leftovers from a big meeting for lunch instead.

One fewer lunch to provide myself.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #3482 on: June 02, 2015, 12:12:28 PM »
Brought coffee and food to work.

Filled up my stainless steel water bottle at work.

Last week I set up my drying rack outside to dry the king size comforter that would not get dry in the dryer.

Fed the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks the toddler's leftover toast and waffle scraps.

Starting to meal plan again.

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #3483 on: June 02, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »

Do you have a face flannel you can sew up the sides, and use it as a soap bag in the shower?

A sock that's missing it's twin also works well. We used to save all of our little shivers of soap and put them together in a sock to have usable soap!

I just lather up the piece of soap and press it onto the side of a new bar of soap.  Then just let it sit it there until the next shower and the piece of soap will stick to the new bar of soap.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:16:47 PM by a1smith »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3484 on: June 02, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »
Made an omelette for breakfast with the last of the wilting baby spinach in the fridge and some hard cheese that is about to expire (though with hard cheeses apparently it's ok to cut off the edges and keep eating past expiry date anyway?)

From a couple of days ago but I forgot to mention it: I've been thinking about how to lower the cost of our roll-on antiperspirant. It's very rarely on sale at the supermarket. I found a website that would send us a dozen at half price (free postage) in a one-off promotional scent from the same brand but I'm reluctant in case the scent is awful. Then my husband brought home four new bottles of roll-on in a different brand. (His company is given thousands of samples of new products throughout the year - books, food, toiletries, make-up, electronics, etc.) The new brand is cheaper to begin with, and is on sale more often, so I've saved $12 on four deodorants and if we switch brands it will save me more in the long run.

I had a little smile to myself the evening I realised I had just spent an hour Googling deodorant prices. :D

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3485 on: June 03, 2015, 12:51:58 AM »
^ Hmm, good ideas on the soap guys.:)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3486 on: June 03, 2015, 02:42:57 AM »
Neither of us went off the mountain yesterday. He built a 12' or so section of porch roof, I worked, then we both worked on a MOOC we're taking together. I did spend money, though - ordered the parts we need to repair the dryer ($27 with tax and shipping).

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #3487 on: June 03, 2015, 05:30:35 AM »
I didnt go to the canteen with my colleagues to get a snack in the morning. I start at 6:30 so this is kinda second breakfast.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3488 on: June 03, 2015, 10:10:21 AM »
DH took leftover rice, leftover chicken, onions, carrots, egg and soy sauce from the fridge and celery from the garden and made a delicious stir fry for lunch.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3489 on: June 03, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »
Needed a cell phone "pocket" to keep the screen from getting scratched in my purse. Rummaged through my "bag o' bags" and found an old soft microfiber jewelry pouch. Stitched up the sides on my sewing machine to form a rectangle and now have a washable cell phone pocket that cleans my screen every time I take the phone out.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3490 on: June 03, 2015, 12:13:19 PM »
*  free coffee at work
*  brought my lunch from home
*  scavenging supplies put into a "excess/donate" pile to supplement my workstation
*  resisting the urge to buy cute new accessories (specifically a red swingline stapler)
*  put a picture of a mustache as my desktop photo ;)

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #3491 on: June 03, 2015, 04:30:41 PM »
Made my own crackers! Loading up on DIY snack-things for the kids makes it possible to delay going to the store for a bit longer.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3492 on: June 03, 2015, 11:41:44 PM »
Had a good free-food weekend:
* Friend gave us a bag of nectarines from her tree
* Foraged about pound of purslane from outside a library
* Collected fallen lemons and oranges from the garden of a historic home we were visiting (free!). We tried to give it to the caretaker but he told us just to keep it if we wanted it.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #3493 on: June 04, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »
I snagged a "Save $10 on a $50 Purchase" Safeway coupon from the work newspaper on the way out the door. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3494 on: June 04, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »
The 'small thing' of turning off unused powerpoints every day and being very sparing with electricity consumption has paid off. I got our electricity statement yesterday - our usage is down 25 per cent from this time last year.

Australian electricity statements also show your daily consumption compared with the national average for one-person, two-person, four-person, etc, dwellings.

Two of us in a two-bedroom apartment now consume less power than the typical one-bedroom dwelling.

Dollar-wise, our power bill has halved in a year. (We pay power fortnightly based on previous consumption, and our account continues to be $100+ in credit. Each quarter, when I receive the statement, I email them and have the payments reduced in line with our reduced consumption.)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3495 on: June 04, 2015, 11:56:38 PM »
* Air-dried a load of laundry, saving about $0.25 on the electric bill.

* Ceiling light burned out in the kids' room. When I climbed up there to open fixture and replace the bulb, I discovered the contractor had used incandescent bulbs (gasp! horror!) because there's a dimmer switch. Replaced with regular CFL bulbs we had in the garage. Will find some dimmable LED or CFL if the kids notice the switch. Either way, the replacement should save us some on electricity in the future.

* Someone moving out of an apartment left 50+ books beside a dumpster. I scanned the ISBNs and snagged about 35. Most are obscure or foreign-language, but will make a profit reselling them no matter what because cost to me was zero.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:08:24 PM by jengod »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3496 on: June 05, 2015, 06:20:15 AM »
Same here.  Plus to keep the soap in the shower dry, I leave it on the surgical nylon scrub brush I got from Lee Valley.  The brush gently gets gardening dirt off my hands, so it is double use.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=2,42551&p=10259

I just lather up the piece of soap and press it onto the side of a new bar of soap.  Then just let it sit it there until the next shower and the piece of soap will stick to the new bar of soap.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3497 on: June 05, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »
The 'small thing' of turning off unused powerpoints every day and being very sparing with electricity consumption has paid off. I got our electricity statement yesterday - our usage is down 25 per cent from this time last year.

Great job!  When I got my last power bill, I was shocked at how much I saved by doing this, as well.  It really does make a difference.

My wins for today:
*  the usual homemade coffee and lunch
*  found a shiny penny on the staircase (and wondered how many other people had walked past it and either not noticed or not bothered to pick it up . . . )
*  did the "budget" for whatever is left in my checking account until payday
*  hung my "gently-worn" work clothes for the week to see what can go another round before washing

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3498 on: June 05, 2015, 12:38:11 PM »
*made iced tea for today (jug full of boiling water, 5 tea bags, sugar and lemon juice to taste for those who still use a store bought mix)

*reheating chili in the crockpot for tonight's dinner - we will be out until 5 and I'm so happy I pre-planned this or else, drive thru!

*keeping blinds closed to keep some of the heat out of the house

TootTootBeepBeep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3499 on: June 05, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »
Called AT&T and asked them to apply a new promotional deal on my home internet account again since my last one expired yesterday. The call took 4 minutes and now my bill is back to $32 a month, a monthly savings of $15. Yay!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!