Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020935 times)

a1smith

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4200 on: August 30, 2015, 11:09:27 AM »
Transmission failed on our 22" Toro lawn mower after nine years.  Shopped around and ordered transmission assembly, bearings, belt, Woodruff keys, and gasket from Amazon and eBay for $80.  The list price for the transmission assembly alone is around $72 + tax so we are saving a lot (not to mention labor costs).  Plus, my son and I get to have fun rebuilding it!  :-)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4201 on: August 30, 2015, 12:20:55 PM »
Just hung up two loads of laundry to dry.  We live in high desert now so clothes hanging on the door will dry within a day.  It felt really good to tell myself "that's two loads of the dryer not being used."

Picked up some new shoes for my 5 year old at the thrift store.  Found a couple pair of shorts to wear to the gym for myself.  All three items came out to $11.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4202 on: August 30, 2015, 03:15:53 PM »
I did the schoola deal today. I got a message that the code has expired, so I only got $25 not $50 free, but I was still super happy with what I found there - an Eastern Mountain Sports jacket and a cute shirt for work.

And then I completed my dinner plans - super cheap BLTS, bread was marked down to 32¢, bacon marked down to a dollar, and a case of tomatoes was $3.99. Mayo was free last week and I have a little leftover lettuce.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4203 on: August 30, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »
Biked to a friend's house for brunch instead of driving to a restaurant. 
Had a craving for something sweet, so I made some whipped cream and put it over strawberries with hot fudge (YUM)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4204 on: August 30, 2015, 06:42:29 PM »
*I just learned about the foaming hand dispenser trick this year. So far, my Method ones have been going for 9 months. I love not using so much soap! Kids go through a lot, and actually, they enjoy washing their hands more with the foam.

*Drank lots of tea at home even though I was having a craving for a Starbucks Chai today - may need one more mug, now that I think of it!

*Leftover chill for dinner. Last night, served it with warm bread out of the oven. Tonight, over rice with sour cream and a bit of grated cheddar

*Mom made us a HUGE pasta salad as a thank you for my husband and son helping them with a problem at their apartment yesterday

*Cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot this afternoon for ready cooked chicken in a few meals this week (and sandwiches)

*Precooked a dozen hard boiled eggs for the fridge for this week

*Kids off to a museum today with adult sister - I sent a cooler bag full of food (cheese cubes, celery sticks, crackers, muffins) for the drive home to stave off the fast food stops

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4205 on: August 30, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »
*Mom made us a HUGE pasta salad as a thank you for my husband and son helping them with a problem at their apartment yesterday
This is one of the things I love about this forum and about frugal people in general - that people are genuinely appreciative of relatively small things, like the gift of a pasta salad.

I jumped here straight from a discussion on another forum where a woman is having a fit because she was invited for dinner at a friend's house, and they served her tortellini that was previously frozen with sauce from a jar. THE HORROR!!111!!! 

Seeing your post restored my faith in humanity a little.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4206 on: August 30, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »
:-) Thanks for that, Jakejake

purple monkey

• Bristles
« Reply #4207 on: August 30, 2015, 08:44:25 PM »
So I was able to save money from the referral link from others that used my link and got several free clothes for my family.

I was able to get $50 free clothes from  Schoola

The steps are:

1. click on the link or copy and paste into browser and you will receive a $15 credit:

https://www.schoola.com/stitch?ref=cp-3X5bkm34N

2. Click the Collection tab at the top, and at the bottom of the drop down: Create New Collection. A new screen will pop up and on the left side where you can click create a collection and select your preferences. Save the collection!!! - Doing that will add another $10 to your account.

3. Browse the website and add $50 w$25 worth of clothing to your cart. You can sort from cheapest to most expensive.  Look carefully at the condition, as it varies WIDELY!

4. Once you’re ready to check out, go to your bag and input your name, shipping information and payment information.

5. Use promo code ‪#‎schoolasummer‬. Remember to include the #. This coupon will takes 50% the total price. Half of 50 is $25, but you have earned $25 in free credit, so it ends up free.  I bought $52 and it ended up being less than $2.  If you get it close to exact, it is FREE.

I think you can still get the $25 free clothes, which is still a way to save money today.

Cheers,
Please consider using my link.

Disclaimer:

Don't know how long this is good for.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #4208 on: August 30, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »
Made bagel burgers for dinner today and walked around the neighborhood for entertainment.

Toasted everything bagel, mustard avocado cream cheese, spinach, thin slice tomato, jalapeno onion garlic burger  and open faced.

Seriously the best thing ever. Can't wait till lunch tomorrow.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4209 on: August 31, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »
Returned two maternity swimsuit tops I bought when a neighbor lent me hers.  Even though the ones I bought were on sale, and way cuter.
That's $41 back to my bank account!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4210 on: August 31, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »
Signed up for a new credit card with a $600 bonus (so, not exactly saving money, but setting myself up to get free money in 3 months).

Biked to work, as usual.

Found out that SO's grandma (who wants to meet me) won't be at his Midwestern family's post-Christmas gathering this year, so I'll go out there another time. Saved myself a $500 plane ticket.

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #4211 on: August 31, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »
Spent all weekend helping hubby work on installing a heat pump system with natural gas backup, including all new duct - still lots to do but will be nice after 2 years of wondering if the pipes will freeze while we're at work and the woodstove burns out.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4212 on: August 31, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
I finally patched the knee in my beloved bicycle leggings (torn during a failed attempt at commuting on icy roads). To match the lycra with fleece lining fabric, I used a boy's sweatshirt that I bought in spring clearance sales for 3 bucks for this purpose.

While the sewing stuff was out, I also cut down the unflattering batwings of a sweater I got for free last year, and turned it into something that doesn't add 30 pounds to my upper body. And I stitched down the placket of a thrift shop sweater I loved but never wore because that part flapped loose in a stupid way.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4213 on: August 31, 2015, 05:20:16 PM »
My husband or I (I actually don't remember who, which is nice) accidentally dropped our acrylic pepper mill on the kitchen floor and it broke on the tiles.

It was half full so I poured the peppercorns into a small bowl to save them.

Then I emptied the salt from our salt mill back into the packet it came in, washed up the salt mill and filled it back up with peppercorns.

We have a large cooking salt dispenser that we use 95 per cent of the time anyway. The salt mill was really only for guests, so it's better repurposed.

Side note: I've been thinking about how Mustachianism is an odd mix of maintaining and utilising Stuff without being attached to it, and this is a prime example. The only reason I would have been disappointed about the grinder breaking is because of the money involved in replacing it (which, once upon a time, I would have done). When you take money out the equation, because it doesn't need to be replaced, it's easy to move on.

I spent the weekend helping my in-laws declutter their very full four-bedroom house as they prepare to downsize. I was happy to help, but all I saw was dollar signs. We tossed (to garbage or charity): two big black garbage bags of MiL's shoes, more than 10 big bags of clothes, endless electronics (a very expensive Tom Tom, their second; Bluetooth handsfree device for the car MiL said cost $80; MP3 players; Bluetooth speakers), multiple holepunches, staplers, cables, calculators, office supplies (purchased repeatedly instead of finding what they already owned), a bag of costume jewellery, a box of photo frames, and more than 100 books.

The move is part of their long-term retirement planning (though my husband and I have some doubts about their strategy). But I do hope moving into a smaller place will put the brakes on their excessive consumption, because they will just run out of space.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4214 on: August 31, 2015, 05:34:29 PM »
I spent the weekend helping my in-laws declutter their very full four-bedroom house as they prepare to downsize. I was happy to help, but all I saw was dollar signs. We tossed (to garbage or charity): two big black garbage bags of MiL's shoes, more than 10 big bags of clothes, endless electronics (a very expensive Tom Tom, their second; Bluetooth handsfree device for the car MiL said cost $80; MP3 players; Bluetooth speakers), multiple holepunches, staplers, cables, calculators, office supplies (purchased repeatedly instead of finding what they already owned), a bag of costume jewellery, a box of photo frames, and more than 100 books.

The move is part of their long-term retirement planning (though my husband and I have some doubts about their strategy). But I do hope moving into a smaller place will put the brakes on their excessive consumption, because they will just run out of space.

My mother has been a huge decluttering kick, much in the same way you're helping your in-laws (I think this is spurred by helping her own mother declutter in preparation for apartment/assisted living). I've actually enjoyed the process of helping my mother clean, because I'm getting hand offs ("I don't ever wear these perfectly decent and cute flat shoes--to the donate pile they go!" *me: swipe*). Of course, I only take things I'll actually use, rather than cluttering-up my own space, and we have lots of conversations about how more space does not equal more space to fill...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4215 on: August 31, 2015, 05:59:39 PM »

My mother has been a huge decluttering kick, much in the same way you're helping your in-laws (I think this is spurred by helping her own mother declutter in preparation for apartment/assisted living). I've actually enjoyed the process of helping my mother clean, because I'm getting hand offs ("I don't ever wear these perfectly decent and cute flat shoes--to the donate pile they go!" *me: swipe*). Of course, I only take things I'll actually use, rather than cluttering-up my own space, and we have lots of conversations about how more space does not equal more space to fill...

MiL and I don't wear the same size anything, but that hasn't stopped her from trying! So far I've ended up with a photo album from my husband's childhood (very happy to have), and some beautiful hand-knit jumpers (from when my husband was three) for my nephews.

She would love for me to take home everything but I have to keep reminding her that we live in a smaller apartment than the one she's moving into.

And won't that be a shock for her. (She has tossed the easy things, the broken things, things that don't fit or she doesn't want. But she doesn't realise that the contents of her kitchen won't even go close to fitting into the new one. Then comes the tough choices.)

Good work saving things from landfill though. It's horrific to see what is being tossed.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4216 on: August 31, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
Put a half-squeezed lime wedge back in the fridge. It totally has another good squeeze left in it.

Side note: I've been thinking about how Mustachianism is an odd mix of maintaining and utilising Stuff without being attached to it, and this is a prime example. The only reason I would have been disappointed about the grinder breaking is because of the money involved in replacing it (which, once upon a time, I would have done). When you take money out the equation, because it doesn't need to be replaced, it's easy to move on.

Agreed. I was thinking similar earlier when my car was having trouble. I was annoyed at the thought of getting it fixed, but not at the possible money part but the inconvenience part. (Gah, this means I have to make a phone call, and talk to people, and then put clothes on and talk to people again, in person...) At the same time, I was also thinking: Meh, it's had a long life, and we don't use it much anyway. It was a really odd feeling to realize I didn't much care if the car died or not.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #4217 on: August 31, 2015, 07:58:54 PM »
I rearranged the lightbulbs in my apartment a little today.

Before:
Kitchen---2 13W LEDs
Bathroom---2 40W Incandescent

After:
Kitchen--- 1 13W LED
Bathroom--1 13W LED

The kitchen is still plenty bright, and the bathroom seems even brighter than before!  I love it, because as long as my habits don't change (and why would they?), I'll use less energy in both rooms, and better yet, it cost me nothing to make the change!

I don't know why, but I'm really excited about this.  :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4218 on: August 31, 2015, 10:21:42 PM »
*Leftover chill over brown rice, fresh veggies and homemade bread for dinner

*Made soup stock out of yesterdays chicken bones and bits - I think I have around 10 ziploc bags of it in the freezer now, ready for fall soup-a-thon

*Baked a crustless pumpkin pie for dessert tonite - it felt fallish today and it smelled so good in the kitchen

*No spend day - oh wait, no ... bought a few things for emergency kit on Amazon. I'm trying to buy just a little each paycheque.

*Family watching old episodes of The Walton's on DVD each night -- reminds us of simpler times. They didn't care what their rug looked like, or their yard didn't have fancy landscaping. Love it! Reinforcing old timey values.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4219 on: September 01, 2015, 02:37:09 AM »
My husband or I (I actually don't remember who, which is nice) accidentally dropped our acrylic pepper mill on the kitchen floor and it broke on the tiles.

Then I emptied the salt from our salt mill back into the packet it came in, washed up the salt mill and filled it back up with peppercorns.

We have a large cooking salt dispenser that we use 95 per cent of the time anyway. The salt mill was really only for guests, so it's better repurposed.
I dropped and broke the grinder part of one of my two mills a year or so ago. I loathe the thought of a new pepper mill because it is so hard to find one that will last (and I don't have the patience (and/or skill to do it quickly) for a pestle and mortar) and procrastinated so much I ended up realising that the other mill still worked. Now I just switch the top part between the salt and pepper, depending on what I need. It means I sometimes get a little bit of pepper in my salt and vice versa but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. And last week one of the local supermarkets started their new collect-tokens-to-buy-cheap offer and the salt and pepper mill sets have come around again. So I'll collect the tokens and then get a new set there. Then I'll have a new one and a spare for the next time.

Edited to correct my ridiciulous overuse of "so" at the beginning of sentences. If it's irritating me at this stage, it's bound to be irritating others. :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:04:41 AM by Moonwaves »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4220 on: September 01, 2015, 03:11:34 AM »

I dropped and broke the grinder part of one of my two mills a year or so ago. I loathe the thought of a new pepper mill because it is so hard to find one that will last (and I don't have the patience (and/or skill to do it quickly) for a pestle and mortar) and procratinated so much I ended up realising that the other mill still worked. So now I just switch the top part between the salt and pepper, depending on what I need. It means I sometimes get a little bit of pepper in my salt and vice versa but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. And last week one of the local supermarkets started their new collect-tokens-to-buy-cheap offer and the salt and pepper mill sets have come around again. So I'll collect the tokens and then get a new set there. So I'll have a new one and a spare for the next time.

You are my inspiration. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4221 on: September 01, 2015, 10:32:15 PM »
In the theme of gas/ride sharing, I asked a friend to go with me to see a horse tomorrow.  She agreed, and then later asked if I'd mind if she drove because her truck has barely been driven this year and she feels it needs to run a tank of gas through it.  Mind?!  I'm buying her lunch which seems like a great tradeoff.

After tomorrow's adventure, I'm going to Alberta to look at more horses, so the cooler is getting packed up.  Once I get over the border I'll buy some fruits/veggies at the grocery store and hopefully not need to eat out between what I bring and the hotel breakfasts.  Unfortunately I withdrew Canadian funds a couple days ago and now see the exchange rate is even more favorable.  Instead of buying a block of ice, I'm freezing a gallon of water.  Cheaper, less messy and then I can drink it when it thaws.

Yesterday I made a big pot of gumbo with marked-down chicken drumsticks and the following ingredients from the garden:  okra, onions, peppers, serranos, garlic, tomatoes, corn.  Used half the package of andouille and saved the other half for the next pot.  Took the leftovers for lunch today.

Grabbed a bag of feed that was marked 15% off because it had a taped up hole, but didn't seem to be missing any feed.

I always love your save money posts, because they fit a great life that you've built. (Your garden and horses, right in this one.)

But what will you do once you look at these horses? Are you looking for new ones?

Thank you Chopping, what a nice thing to say! 

Yes, I am very un-mustachianly looking for a new horse.  In fact, I found a lovely one in Alberta and had her vetted out today.  As long as her x-rays results are clean, she should be coming home with me in a few weeks. Hopefully I can time my payment/procurement of Canadian currency on the best exchange rate days?? My other rideable horse (the one in my avatar) will be up for sale in the next several months. so I'll have three to support for a while, but then drop back down to two once I find her a new owner.

Today there wasn't much to report on the money-saving front.  Went out for lunch, but at least it was just two tacos and no drink.  Had salad and leftovers for dinner and didn't drive anywhere after work.  Went to the Asian market during my lunch hour and bought a big can of sesame oil, bag of rice and some other stuff that is significantly cheaper than at the supermarket.  Used a $10 off coupon at the feed store, and bribed my co-worker to give me her feed store coupons by supplying her with some homemade chile paste.  Shopped tire prices online after getting a somewhat expensive quote for a new set from the dealership when I took the car in for an oil change last week.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4222 on: September 02, 2015, 02:07:48 AM »
*Hung a load of laundry indoors due to rain - outdoor clothesline season is almost over

*Made yogurt out of a 4L jug of milk - I use the "heating pad on low with a towel and metal pot over top" method for incubating my yogurt. Will drain off the whey in a nut milk bag tow to make it into thick and creamy greek yogurt

*Made Monterey Chicken Skillet form http://www.budgetbytes.com again for dinner. This is a real hit with my family and tastes like we are eating out at a really good restaurant! haha Bonus: very little time to cook when you already have cooked chicken - easy recipe and all in one pot too!

*Teen son won a $15 bookstore gift card in library summer reading club - picked up his prize while we were in picking out new books and videos, and picking up books we'd ordered in

*Got a bunch of stuff into the calendar up to a year in advance -- will save double booking later on

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4223 on: September 02, 2015, 08:33:50 AM »
Found a neighbor that puts out overflow produce from their garden in a box with a free sign. Yesterday got 2 cucumbers and 5 tomatoes for free. We're rerouting our walk to the grocery store so that we can check whenever we go by.

And even though we really, really wanted to, DH and I did not go and get an affogato yesterday afternoon.

Also- and this is a big one guys- we REMOVED STARBUCKS FROM OUR BUDGET. We went from $50/month on our card, to $20/month on the card. And then last month we didn't refill the card at all, and there is still money left on it. So we're chopping the budget entirely!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4224 on: September 02, 2015, 01:20:15 PM »
I took a BND today.  :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4225 on: September 02, 2015, 01:29:55 PM »
Ate the free lunch provided by work even though it wasn't something I particularly like.

Oh well, free is free, and it was relatively healthy.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4226 on: September 02, 2015, 02:06:58 PM »
Commuted to a different office than usual today. Saved me $5.50. Will continue to do so as much as I can. Going as often as possible saves about $100 every month. Yay!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4227 on: September 02, 2015, 04:30:46 PM »
*Making pancakes for dinner -- husband out of town so its an easy peasy dinner  -- may get around to making a fruit topping and just remembered I have leftover whipping cream (this homemade pancake mix is fantastic, btw. I searched for years! Her hot chocolate mix is also a winner!)

http://www.sixfiguresunder.com/homemade-pancake-mix/

*Took kids (and neighbour kids) to a free museum today. We were there for an hour and they all had fun doing the scavenger hunt together. They got a stamp on their hand for completing it.

*Popcorn and a dvd for my kids and neighbour kids when we got back -- the fun never stops around here <wink>

*Thawing ground beef for tomorrow's dinner -- not sure exactly what I will make but find when I have some meat thawed, the meal gets made without an emergency trip for fast food (esp when hubs is away -- I'm so weak!)

Lindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Turtle
« Reply #4228 on: September 04, 2015, 01:08:37 AM »
I was planning on going to the small, local, organic(expensive) co-op for groceries earlier tonight, but when I stopped in at my parents to say hi, my mom loaded me down with potatoes, carrots, onions, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, swiss chard and apples from the garden, plus eggs from their chickens.  I think she was happy to get rid of some of the excess and I was more than happy to take all that delicious produce. Win-win!

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #4229 on: September 04, 2015, 05:21:48 AM »
I am not walking at graduation tonight.  Not spending $70 dollars on robe and cap and tassel. The degree is what I want.

I am finishing my associates at a community college and going directly to a four year school for my bachelors. I'll walk then... Or maybe I'll wait for my masters...

Congrats on the associates! I didn't walk for any of my graduations, come to think of it. High school, AA, BS, MS. I hated the idea of all that sitting around and clapping and boredom.

I didn't walk at my BS graduation. I went to school in Alaska, none of my family was coming, and I earned 500$ working the dinner graduation buffet at the restaurant I worked at. I did buy a cap to wear at work that night as customers love a story like that and generally tip higher.

Nancy

« Reply #4230 on: September 04, 2015, 08:30:57 AM »
I scored free fruit, almonds, and tortilla chips at work today. Yum!

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #4231 on: September 04, 2015, 09:48:03 AM »
After struggling with our hose sprayer for about a year, yesterday I took said sprayer apart, soaked the pieces in vinegar, replaced the gaskets (amazing we had the right sizes on hand), and used a pin to poke out the mineral deposits that formed in the tiny holes. Works like new, but still has the distinguished patina formed by years of long, honorable service. I'm now irrationally pleased with myself.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4232 on: September 04, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »
I deliberately chose the slightly dirty pair of shoes for Little Brother at Target. Then they had to give me a discount!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4233 on: September 04, 2015, 03:00:27 PM »
Weather cool enough so I am drinking tea all day now.  I start a new pot in the morning with two spoonfuls of loose tea then all day long as the pot gets empty I add another spoonful of tea and fill up with hot water.  About once a year I visit the local Indian Store and buy a kg of loose black tea. 

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #4234 on: September 05, 2015, 09:56:59 AM »
We got the furnace replaced. I made a couple of calls and raised our credit limit so we could put it on our rewards credit card (to be paid off before interest accrues) instead of writing a check. Getting the limit raised was a little thing that netted us $70. (Of course, if I had a card with better rewards then I could have done better.)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4235 on: September 05, 2015, 10:28:36 AM »
Weather cool enough so I am drinking tea all day now.  I start a new pot in the morning with two spoonfuls of loose tea then all day long as the pot gets empty I add another spoonful of tea and fill up with hot water.  About once a year I visit the local Indian Store and buy a kg of loose black tea.
I love loose leaf tea.  You should try chamomile for nighttime hot beverages. 

I made a huge pot of tea a few days ago, so I put it in the fridge.  I'm drinking iced tea right now.  Having the tea ready at home made it easy to walk past Starbucks this morning.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #4236 on: September 05, 2015, 10:54:19 AM »
Eating free grapes from our own garden.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4237 on: September 05, 2015, 02:59:25 PM »

I made a huge pot of tea a few days ago, so I put it in the fridge.  I'm drinking iced tea right now.  Having the tea ready at home made it easy to walk past Starbucks this morning.

I recently planted some peppermint.  I should soon be getting all my evening tea for free.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4238 on: September 05, 2015, 03:33:38 PM »
I posted this in a grocery-specific thread, but I figured I'd repost here:

I yesterday did a cost comparison of cooking fats for myself and was shocked at how much it varies.  Usually I have a pretty good handle on this sort of thing, but it varies wildly.

These numbers are based on what we actually buy, and are pretty close to the healthiest/hippiest versions available.  Anything made at home was adjusted to include only approximate yield.

From most cost-effective to least:

Pastured beef suet from local farm at $0.75/lb that's been rendered into tallow at home:
4070 calories per dollar
Pastured pork back fat from local farm at $0.75/lb that's been rendered into lard at home:
3859 calories per dollar
Organic extra virgin olive oil from Costco ($14.99/2L):
1076 calories per dollar
Organic coconut oil from Costco ($24.99/84oz):
825 calories per dollar
Kerrygold salted grass-fed butter (bulk from Costco, 3x8oz for $7.49):
627 calories per dollar
Refined coconut oil (Nutiva $12.50/54oz Amazon.com):
644 calories per dollar
Unsalted Kerrygold (from regular grocery store for $2.99/8oz), clarified at home:
501 calories per dollar

So tallow and lard are crazy cheap compared to grass-fed butter and coconut oil, with olive oil cheaper but not nearly as much so as tallow and lard.

Tallow and lard are also ridiculously heat-stable so you don't have to worry as much about burning it compared to other options.

So from here on out, I personally will only be using butter or coconut oil when the recipe uses that for flavoring (of which there are plenty of course) but the rest of the time, I'll be replacing it with tallow or lard.

Of course, a gallon of soybean oil from Walmart for $6 works out to be a massive 5137 calories per dollar, but nobody should be eating any of that no matter how cheap it is.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #4239 on: September 05, 2015, 04:16:30 PM »
Pitted and froze 18 pints of plums that I picked for free from a someone else's yard yesterday.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4240 on: September 05, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »

I recently planted some peppermint.  I should soon be getting all my evening tea for free.

Do you pick it and dry it, then use for tea? Or use it fresh? Have you ever used lemon balm?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4241 on: September 05, 2015, 06:25:22 PM »

Do you pick it and dry it, then use for tea? Or use it fresh? Have you ever used lemon balm?
Lemon balm is truly excellent chopped up and added to tuna salad!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4242 on: September 06, 2015, 07:56:55 AM »
Rode my bike to the grocery store :-)

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #4243 on: September 06, 2015, 08:05:45 AM »
Dominoes Pizza is really cheap. Friday on the way home from work I found out my teen daughter had a few friends over before the HS football game.  Having nothing planned for supper, I gave Dominoes a call.  Got into town, stopped and they had the pizza waiting for like $7.37.  All 4 of us had supper and still a piece leftover.  Cheap dinner!  (Though again, I would not want to eat this regularly)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4244 on: September 06, 2015, 08:27:41 AM »
Do you pick it and dry it, then use for tea? Or use it fresh? Have you ever used lemon balm?  I haven't done anything yet since I only planted it a month ago.  Since we live in a place where it should survive all year around I assumed I would just use it fresh.  Have not used lemon balm but have another pot that needs something.  Lemon balm might be it if I can find it in the Farmer's Market.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4245 on: September 06, 2015, 10:41:12 AM »
Do you pick it and dry it, then use for tea? Or use it fresh? Have you ever used lemon balm?  I haven't done anything yet since I only planted it a month ago.  Since we live in a place where it should survive all year around I assumed I would just use it fresh.  Have not used lemon balm but have another pot that needs something.  Lemon balm might be it if I can find it in the Farmer's Market.

We now have a chocolate mint 'bush', but it will be frozen to death in the next couple of months. I am not sure what to do with this, or the lemon balm.

NataliaDuma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4246 on: September 06, 2015, 01:00:01 PM »
I went to shop in a consignment store rather than buying new clothing. It was actually a fun experience since there are a lot of vintage clothing that I was able to choose from and I love vintage!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4247 on: September 06, 2015, 01:02:23 PM »
I drove way too much today, but for a good cause (to see my Gran, who remains in bed over the last week after hurting her back in a fall).
Brought her four bouquets of flowers to cheer up her bedroom, cut from my own garden - so zero euros spent. I drove my tank almost completely empty before tanking where it was cheapest - saved 10-15 euros that way.
Came back rather late, but made dinner non the less. Thankfully there were some leftovers in the fridge to strenghten my resolve to NOT get take-out.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4248 on: September 06, 2015, 01:14:35 PM »
*Ran all errands this weekend using DH's pass, which is unlimited transit subsidized through work. No additional transit costs for errand running!

*Bought the vast majority of our groceries at Aldi. Stuck to the list.

*Went to Target to stock up on household items (dishwashing powder, laundry detergent, TP, and some miscellaneous groceries Aldi doesn't carry) and to replace DH's one pair of shorts (that had a hole in the crotch and a missing button). Used wedding GCs to cover this cost, and still have $20 left.

*Made a double-batch of homemade pizza last night, which means I have lunches for basically the next three days. Four, if DH doesn't eat the last of the quiche for lunch today!

*Keeping the lights off and the shades up to save on electric costs.

*Moved this month's savings goals into our savings account immediately after our first paycheck (I usually wait until the last one, but the I realized I was missing out on the interest!) Since we YNAB and are paying next month's bills with this month's income, there's no concern about not being able to pay rent/utilities/groceries/etc.

*Ordered new poop bags for Fido (gross, but relevant) using a manufacturer coupon from Amazon (cheapest place I've found them); requested no-rush delivery so I could get credit for Kindle books.

*Placed two ebooks on hold with the Chicago Public Library.

*Had a working lunch with a friend earlier this weekend. Ordered a giant $3 bagel and coffee rather than a full lunch. Delicious, frugal (as frugal as eating out can be, anyway), and definitely filling.

jaye_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4249 on: September 06, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »
I made a duvet cover from two $.99 sheets I bought at the thrift store.  And I bought groceries for the three of us for the week at Aldi for $35 (primarily dried beans, pasta, and veg & fruit on sale).