Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020911 times)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6250 on: May 24, 2016, 10:47:53 AM »
Jeans mending! I've tried and failed to mend the crotch of my favorite pair of jeans--I just made it worse. And now my other favorite pair of jeans is about 2 wears from an exploded crotch. Know any good resources/tutorials for jeans crotch repair... by hand? (I followed one for general denim repair and it didn't work out so well. The denim was just too worn out to hold stitches.

Yesterday we got an almost-free lunch via some free sandwich coupons we got for being in a focus group for the restaurant. Didn't cover hubs' soda. Other than that, I haven't done diddly to save. But the farmers markets are back, so hopefully that'll result in savings via less wasted produce (farmers market=buy what I need vs. supermarket=buy prescribed amount even if it's too much).

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6251 on: May 24, 2016, 11:31:11 AM »
An oldie but a goodie: I need brown sugar for baking, but it was hard as a rock. Bought one apple, cut it into pieces, and put it in a container with the sugar. The sugar is now soft again, all ready for baking with.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6252 on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:46 PM »
I prepped returns for Amazon and target. It was so tempting just to say I was too busy to deal with it, but I put the time in and got them ready to go. Reused packaging of course. I had to plan my taping well so I didn't run out of packing tape. 

Rescued gift tissue from packaging. Enough for Christmas.

Rescued paper towel like paper. Enough for 3 months of bathroom cleaning.

Dried laundry in the sun.

Cut my hair.

Cut some blank postcards out of water color paper. I'll draw and send them to family members who requested postcards from my European adventures.  Postcards are getting flipping expensive. This will save a few dollars.

Rice and beans FTW.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #6253 on: May 24, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »
Had a little mental battle about it this morning, but ended up bringing lunch to campus this morning. Another few days without eating out!

Then in the afternoon, I found out about a free burrito promotion from Chipotle (dead now). I used it to get a massive burrito bowl for dinner, and this should hold me over for a few more days of not wasting money on food outside the house!

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6254 on: May 25, 2016, 10:38:36 PM »
I did not spend any money today. Talked myself out of eating out and takeout coffee.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #6255 on: May 26, 2016, 07:05:57 AM »
I ordered a year's supply of contacts (which I plan to stretch to at least a year and half, probably two years).  But since I have an astigmatism in one eye and not in the other, I bought two boxes of one kind of contact and two boxes of another kind.  The website was confused by my order and made it appear as if I would not qualify for the mail in rebate for purchasing a year's supply of contacts.  I started a chat session and explained the problem and the helpful person told me I qualified and emailed me the form.  Three minutes invested resulted in $40 saved!  Also shows the power of questioning things and asking for what you are entitled to receive.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6256 on: May 26, 2016, 07:07:01 AM »
Got a BOGO offer in the mail from Qdoba (Chipotle competitor). We've been trying to cut down on eating out, but this gave us an inexpensive way to do so.

Forgot to eat my salad for lunch on Tuesday, so that became yesterday's lunch. Having a team lunch today, so today's salad becomes tomorrow's lunch.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:08:47 AM by Inaya »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6257 on: May 26, 2016, 09:27:44 AM »
I made breakfast at home.  Packed my lunch and snacks. 

I used a homemade moisturizing bar (copycat recipe for a Lush bar) this morning. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6258 on: May 26, 2016, 10:09:37 AM »
I am halfway through painting the 2 sets of French doors on the back of the house.

Total cost: 40$ materials, probably 3-4 hours total

What the factory that made the doors wanted to charge to have them installed in black: 400$ PER DOOR.

Excellent hourly savings. :)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6259 on: May 26, 2016, 11:27:15 AM »
We have a trip to meet our soon to arrive grandbaby in August.  Travelzoo just alerted me that the hotel we are staying in has a flash deal going - just rebooked, and saved $200.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6260 on: May 26, 2016, 12:35:10 PM »
We have a trip to meet our soon to arrive grandbaby in August.  Travelzoo just alerted me that the hotel we are staying in has a flash deal going - just rebooked, and saved $200.

Congrats on both the savings and the grandbaby! :)

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6261 on: May 26, 2016, 01:29:09 PM »
My sim card didn't work in my new-to-me smartphone, and my current cellphone company wants £10.20 to send a replacement sim for the same number. But then I wouldn't know until I got it if it would work. So this evening I ordered a free sim card from a different company, and if it works out, I can port my number over, also free. The pay-as-you-go rates are comparable, and I was considering switching anyway. If this doesn't work, I might have to return the phone, which would save more but be a bit sad.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6262 on: May 26, 2016, 04:27:14 PM »

Congrats on both the savings and the grandbaby! :)

Thanks!  It's the first grandbaby, so we're pretty excited.  I always watch hotel rates - even if you are a rewards member, they don't automatically tell you if the rates drop.

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #6263 on: May 26, 2016, 06:31:24 PM »
Bought shelf stable almond milk-2 quarts for $3.00. Maybe not the best price, but it beats the fresh half gallon that always goes bad if I buy it.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6264 on: May 26, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »
Replaced a burned-out compact florescent bulb with an LED. I think our electricity conservation efforts may be paying off, as per the most recent electric bill. Whoo!

Your daily average electricity usage (kWh):
2 Years ago: 13.41 Last year: 6.93

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #6265 on: May 26, 2016, 09:05:48 PM »
Made vegetarian burritos out of some leftovers instead of being lazy and ordering pizza. Very tasty dinner, healthier, and saved some loot. Score!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 08:06:35 AM by Thinkum »

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #6266 on: May 27, 2016, 06:27:45 AM »
Tonight is my son's first t-ball game of the season.  In order to save on gas, I've packed a cooler with our picnic supper and left it in the trunk so we will go to the park right after daycare, eat and get changed there, then play his game.  This is instead of driving home from daycare, eating a rushed supper at home, and driving to the park for the game.  Fingers crossed that the cooler does it's job! I've never left it in the car trunk for this long so I'm a bit nervous...

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6267 on: May 27, 2016, 10:47:01 AM »
I live in a very small town (under 1000 people). I've been trying to source as many purchases as close as possible to where I live, to avoid the $32 drive to the city.  I went to the next town over (a $12.00 trip) to see if I could buy light hiking boots at a Mark's Work Wearhouse. I had checked out their footwear online and was pretty sure I could find something. Found good quality boots, at 33% off. Saved $60 on the boots and $20 on the drive.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6268 on: May 27, 2016, 10:57:16 AM »
Asking on Buy Nothing Group for curtains, instead of just going and buying some. (Need curtains for our bedroom, since it's starting to stay light after we go to bed). Looks like I already have a few people offering spare curtains! Love my community. Not a rich neighborhood, but a very, very generous one.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6269 on: May 27, 2016, 12:31:49 PM »
Did an online ed tech consult for a gift card.

Turned down an invite to copresent at a major ed tech conference next week. I'd like to go, but it's fly in one day, fly out the next, and it's in Vegas, whereas I'm much closer to the East Coast. Would've been more than 24 hours  of traveling in 48 hours, and it's just not worth it. Plus they weren't going to pay me anything.  The conference would've been a great deal of fun, and I do believe in the value of the software I was going to present on, but it just would've been too much. It's a shame, because I've never been to Vegas.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6270 on: May 27, 2016, 12:45:13 PM »
Doctor wanted me to try special orthotic for a painful joint problem. (Nevermind I already spent $300 on custom orthotics last year. No, now I need a different kind.) They had some in the office for $80 per foot. Insurance doesn't cover it, of course. I didn't really like the way it fit/felt so I said I would think about it, then went home and looked online where I managed to find some that look much better for $85 a pair (not per foot!). So, about half the price. Had to pay shipping but still saved $60+.

Also got a $50 coupon for the new medication my other doctor wanted me to try. Brought it down from $135/mo to $85/mo. (That's the co-pay with "good" insurance. Rawr.)  I am waffling between being angry at having to spend this much every month vs. being happy I can save $600/yr with these coupons.

So - spent about $180 on medical crap. But made an effort and saved $110. Having shitty genes is expensive... :-/

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6271 on: May 27, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »
Doctor wanted me to try special orthotic for a painful joint problem. (Nevermind I already spent $300 on custom orthotics last year. No, now I need a different kind.) They had some in the office for $80 per foot. Insurance doesn't cover it, of course. I didn't really like the way it fit/felt so I said I would think about it, then went home and looked online where I managed to find some that look much better for $85 a pair (not per foot!). So, about half the price. Had to pay shipping but still saved $60+.

Also got a $50 coupon for the new medication my other doctor wanted me to try. Brought it down from $135/mo to $85/mo. (That's the co-pay with "good" insurance. Rawr.)  I am waffling between being angry at having to spend this much every month vs. being happy I can save $600/yr with these coupons.

So - spent about $180 on medical crap. But made an effort and saved $110. Having shitty genes is expensive... :-/

I too need Orthotic inserts.  I've been very happy with SuperFeet Blue for $35 off eBay.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6272 on: May 27, 2016, 01:33:24 PM »
I too need Orthotic inserts.  I've been very happy with SuperFeet Blue for $35 off eBay.

I appreciate the recommendation, but I'm unfortunately way past that kind of thing. The condition I have generally ends with multiple surgeries. My feet hurt so much that I have to take my shoes off at work because just sitting at my desk with shoes on (ultra-cushioned running shoes with custom orthotics molded to my feet...) causes throbbing pain from my sole to my shin. I don't really think these new ones will do much for me, but it's that or surgery, so I'm giving it a shot.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6273 on: May 27, 2016, 02:21:53 PM »
Was thisclose to ordering a test prep guide from Amazon when I realized I could download literally the exact same thing from my public library. Where I work. As a librarian. But it's kind of a hidden feature! I had totally forgotten about it.

Bonus: does not create a physical book that will be obsolete in a couple of years anyway.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6274 on: May 27, 2016, 06:43:43 PM »
Returned two things to the store. 
Took my watch in for a replacement battery.  Since the battery died so quickly (less than a year), the store replaced the battery for free.
Baked zucchini bread from a zucchini a coworker gave me.
Tried a new recipe for dinner

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6275 on: May 28, 2016, 02:19:17 AM »
I still had cheeses and a couple chorizo slices left from a picnic ages ago. This morning I used the last of the chorizo and broke up one of the little cheeses to make egg-mcmuffin-style sandwiches with English muffins and fried eggs. So tasty and filling. I had cheese and crackers again yesterday for lunch, and this was a nice change. Now that I'm down to a handful of individually wrapped cheeses, I think I will take a break from trying to use them up.

Later I'm heading to the public library to get some light reading for the weekend and turn in last week's books.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6276 on: May 28, 2016, 06:41:07 AM »
Grocery shopped carefully to avoid overbuying or wasting money.

Batch cooked our work lunches for the next week.

Baked bread (seed and nut loaf) for cheap, tasty, nutritious breakfasts.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #6277 on: May 28, 2016, 11:23:32 AM »
Craving a Starbucks frappacino this AM.  Whole milk+ice+vanilla+stevia+instant coffee+blender+2 minutes and boom, frappacino.  Bonus, it was much better on blood sugar levels since it was sugar-free!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #6278 on: May 28, 2016, 03:53:58 PM »
Craving a Starbucks frappacino this AM.  Whole milk+ice+vanilla+stevia+instant coffee+blender+2 minutes and boom, frappacino.  Bonus, it was much better on blood sugar levels since it was sugar-free!

I love coffee and have all these things, more or less. Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to make one later today.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #6279 on: May 28, 2016, 04:37:31 PM »

I love coffee and have all these things, more or less. Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to make one later today.

You can also do a peppermint mocha by subbing mint extract for the vanilla and throwing in some cocoa powder.  Haven't done a caramel one yet, but I bet those Torani (sp?) syrups or something similar in caramel flavor would do the trick.

hiker_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6280 on: May 28, 2016, 05:33:55 PM »
I bought 6 cute blouses for work for $5.58, several of which were from Ann Taylor and one was from Nordstrom.  The total came up to $63.96.  I used a $20 credit from Schoola and a 60% off coupon to reduce the price by 91%. I'm usually a size small or a medium, and I was careful to order only mediums to increase the chances that they would fit, since purchases are non-returnable.

Here's my referral link: you get $20 and I get $20.
https://www.schoola.com/stitch?ref=cp-3X5l8h14B

There are other referral links on MMM too, all for the same amount. You can only use one, however.

Use coupon code TAKE60 to get an additional 60% off.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:37:22 PM by hiker_girl »

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #6281 on: May 28, 2016, 08:26:45 PM »

You can also do a peppermint mocha by subbing mint extract for the vanilla and throwing in some cocoa powder.  Haven't done a caramel one yet, but I bet those Torani (sp?) syrups or something similar in caramel flavor would do the trick.

You might try this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/how-to-make-caramel-without-melting-sugar.html

Truth in advertising:  I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds absolutely brilliant to do. :)

tl;dr:  toast sugar in the oven @ 300F for about 5 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove, throw through the blender or food processor to break up the clumps.
Store airtight.  You now have a nice container of caramel-flavored sugar for use in any
way you desire.

I'm skeptical that it would work with stevia, alas - for that you probably need a
commercial "caramel-flavor" sugar-free syrup that gets to leverage the magic of
modern flavor chemistry.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #6282 on: May 29, 2016, 10:55:47 AM »

You might try this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/how-to-make-caramel-without-melting-sugar.html

Truth in advertising:  I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds absolutely brilliant to do. :)

tl;dr:  toast sugar in the oven @ 300F for about 5 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove, throw through the blender or food processor to break up the clumps.
Store airtight.  You now have a nice container of caramel-flavored sugar for use in any
way you desire.

I'm skeptical that it would work with stevia, alas - for that you probably need a
commercial "caramel-flavor" sugar-free syrup that gets to leverage the magic of
modern flavor chemistry.
Thanks for the link!  I've got some insulin resistance, so sugar isn't completely banned (but it's a rare indulgence).

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6283 on: May 29, 2016, 11:48:48 AM »
Worked a pageant over the weekend.  In principle, they aren't my favorite thing, but they are a fun gig.

They feed everyone really well.  And then there are leftovers.  So in addition to not having to pay for my lunch/dinner both Friday and Saturday, I also was sent home with leftovers. Lunch today will be chicken Alfredo, grapes, and watermelon.  I've now got a stash of mixed nuts, trail mix, and skittles at work, and I have a bag of einstein bagels, and another of edamame.  I was going to do some batch cooking today, but it seems it won't be necessary for this week...

They also give the crew a stack of discount cards.  I've got a couple of free massages, free orange julius, and free haircuts.  Also a few discounts to places I might actually eat.  And a few more that I'll leave out at work for others who will use them.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6284 on: May 29, 2016, 12:52:02 PM »

Now I want to work pageants…

I discovered the wonders of diet A&W root beer last night at a bonfire at a friend's house. I've never tried one, assuming that they'd be nasty, and they aren't. So, now I have a root beer problem. To fix this, instead of buying diet root beer with all its chemical foulness, I picked sassafras  stems in the woods today for tea (which I'll sweeten with some stevia leaves)  plus bonus file powder.  I'm cheating by making tea from the stems instead of digging the sassafras roots, but then that's the way I've always made it. Easier on me and on the plant.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6285 on: May 29, 2016, 02:31:51 PM »
Went foraging for elder flowers and made cordial. Made ramp butter out of the rest of the ramps we picked a week and a half ago (freeze in logs, slice off a piece and let melt over fish or steak...) Got rhubarb from the yard and made rhubarb pie for dessert.

While foraging for elder flowers, we went to the back of the family property (hundreds of acres) in the car to a spot where there used to be a lot of farms in the last 1800s, and we found a few abandoned apple and pear orchards in full bloom. I dropped a google maps pin so we can go back and find it in fall, and again in spring next year to graft some branches onto rootstock if the apples are good. If they're over a hundred years old and holding up...

Also found chestnut and walnut trees nearby. :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6286 on: May 29, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »
Went foraging for elder flowers and made cordial. Made ramp butter out of the rest of the ramps we picked a week and a half ago (freeze in logs, slice off a piece and let melt over fish or steak...) Got rhubarb from the yard and made rhubarb pie for dessert.

While foraging for elder flowers, we went to the back of the family property (hundreds of acres) in the car to a spot where there used to be a lot of farms in the last 1800s, and we found a few abandoned apple and pear orchards in full bloom. I dropped a google maps pin so we can go back and find it in fall, and again in spring next year to graft some branches onto rootstock if the apples are good. If they're over a hundred years old and holding up...

Also found chestnut and walnut trees nearby. :)

<3 <3 <3  All amazing!

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #6287 on: May 30, 2016, 06:48:05 AM »
- Sold $30 worth of misc baby items on varagesale

- Didn't need much beyond produce and milk for our weekly groceries, so walked to our local market instead of driving to the big grocery store

- This one has DH thinking I've really gone over the edge: The side of DS' overnight pull-up (training pants) tore when he was putting it on last night so I gave him a new one, and once he went to bed, I stapled the torn one back together.  Those suckers cost $0.50 each!

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #6288 on: May 30, 2016, 07:09:34 AM »
My sister is having a baby soon (my first niece or nephew!), and, while I'm in no way spendy for myself, I really adore treating those I love. I've had this urge to buy tiny baby clothes for the new little one. However, I resisted, and last night I finished crocheting a beautiful baby blanket. For about 30$ worth of yarn, I had a relaxing activity to do in the evenings for the past few months, and came out with a gift worth several times more for the new parents-to-be. I'd say I saved a fair bit :)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6289 on: May 30, 2016, 09:28:03 AM »
Made a 2.99 return to target yesterday.  It wasn't worth the trip on it's own, but I brought it along on my travels because I knew spending the weekend with my family we would end up at target... And we did. 

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #6290 on: May 30, 2016, 03:22:54 PM »
Returned two bags of Aldi organic veggie chips.  They were nasty.  Husband bought them instead of the regular veggie chips.  He said they were out of the regular.  I say he was probably looking in the soap department.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #6291 on: May 31, 2016, 10:05:14 PM »

Now I want to work pageants…

I discovered the wonders of diet A&W root beer last night at a bonfire at a friend's house. I've never tried one, assuming that they'd be nasty, and they aren't. So, now I have a root beer problem. To fix this, instead of buying diet root beer with all its chemical foulness, I picked sassafras  stems in the woods today for tea (which I'll sweeten with some stevia leaves)  plus bonus file powder.  I'm cheating by making tea from the stems instead of digging the sassafras roots, but then that's the way I've always made it. Easier on me and on the plant.
Not sure if you're aware, but sassafras is classified as a carcinogenic substance, which is why it isn't used in commercial root beer any more.  Via Sloan-Kettering Memorial Cancer Center, "Sassafras is classified as a carcinogenic substance. It caused liver cancer in laboratory animals; the risk of developing cancer increases with the amount consumed and duration of consumption."  I use it for potpurri, but stopped making tea out of it due to the above info.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6292 on: May 31, 2016, 11:05:48 PM »
Had leftovers for lunch and dinner, along with a big salad of garden greens.

Waited until getting the mail tonight before hitting the feed store - which paid off because the $10 off coupon was in there as expected.  Hoping for a second one in the Val-Pak coupons this week as well.

Made sure DH had my REI member # since he was going there to look for a hat.

Set up box fans in the windows to blow in cool air since it's going to be in the 80's tomorrow and headed for 100 by the weekend.

Cooked beans in the Instant Pot to make a nice bean salad with tomorrow night.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #6293 on: June 01, 2016, 10:15:30 PM »
This isn't just today, but an ongoing thing:
Now up north here we're at less than 5 hours between sunset and sunrise, so it's only ever darkish, mostly light out while we are sleeping. We have plastic blinds that came with the apartment and boyfriend suggested we could buy curtains, as the blinds barely reduce the light. Being frugal and a minimalist, I didn't see the point. Just one more thing to buy, put up, get dirty - no way.
Plus we already have a solution to this problem - we both sleep with a black T-shirt over our eyes. It's cheap, it works well, and with much less hassle than trying to block all the light from the window.

What really amuses me is that when we moved in together, we both owned exactly 1 geeky, "fat", black T-shirt. His is XXL because he lost over 100lbs last year, and it's the one piece of clothing that didn't make it to the thrift store. And it says: "Rogues Do It From Behind". Mine is XL because it was a gift. It's from 1994. My sister bought it for me at a garage sale last year. It's a T-shirt that was put out by a local TV station announcing/celebrating (?) the season finale of Star Trek: The Next Generation. (My beloved childhood show). Funny that it was just sitting in some person's house for 20 years. And my sister knew I had to have it, as she's a big fan too.
At some point we also swapped shirts, so I only use his rogues shirt and he uses my ST shirt.

So yeah, repurposing at it's finest.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #6294 on: June 02, 2016, 12:30:24 AM »
I read through an old mmm forum thread on dropping comprehensive & collision:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/rule-of-thumb-for-dropping-collision-and-comprehensive/

and in the end, decided not to, because after reading through my policy, I wanted to keep the collision for times when I'm renting a car.

But I noticed that I had excessive first-party medical/death benefits in excess of the state minimum (they'd pay $10k of our medical bills;  state requires $5k;  had $5k of lost work benefits).  Silly and unnecessary.  Cutting it only saved about $3/month, but it was a very easy $3/month, and once gone, it stays gone.  So I'm glad I read my policy in horrible detail.

That thread, however, is a great one if you haven't stumbled across it, and the real reason I'm posting this -- several insurance industry folks chimed in with great suggestions.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6295 on: June 02, 2016, 01:06:21 AM »
My coffee machine died last night. So, CC in hand, I went shopping for a new one today.

But I couldn't do it. So I lashed out and bought 2 French presses (one for a single cup, one for when there are people here) for a grand total of ... $15. Thank you K-Mart!

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #6296 on: June 02, 2016, 06:11:08 AM »
I brought lunch yesterday and took a bigger two-parts sandwish so I spent 9 EUR for two days instead of having regular lunch at 10 EUR per day.
My employer offer coupons of 8 EUR ((something some employers offer in France, lunch coupon), so I just spent 1 EUR for two days Lunch.
Pretty good huh .... New employer doesn't offer those coupons and this was my last one  so I'll have to bring lunch and pay 0 from next week. We'll see how that works.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6297 on: June 02, 2016, 10:12:07 AM »

For better or worse, the place I ordered the orthotic from contacted me to say their supplier was having issues and they were out of stock for a while. Canceled that and bought a cheaper (probably inferior) pair elsewhere with coupons and free shipping and etc. for only $34. Assuming they work, that will put me at a $126 savings over the original.

I'm having a hard time believing that steel insoles are going to make my feet hurt LESS, but...

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6298 on: June 02, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
Picked up carrots and hummus for tonight's dinner and tomorrow's lunch. We'll be walking all over Paris and there will be lots of great food options... And that's the problem!  I've got to spread out the indulgences. This cost me about $5US and will be two good meals. No refrigerator, but it should be fine for overnight.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6299 on: June 02, 2016, 02:31:28 PM »
An oldie but a goodie: I need brown sugar for baking, but it was hard as a rock. Bought one apple, cut it into pieces, and put it in a container with the sugar. The sugar is now soft again, all ready for baking with.
I've never heard of this - brilliant!

I always have hard brown sugar and extra apples laying around the house. Thanks!