Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020896 times)

Dare2Dream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12800 on: May 06, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
- lawn mower was running like crap so did DIY job (new plug, filter, oil, blade)  $25 instead of $50 service or $200 for a new mower

I am not a DIY person (yet !) so I was pretty proud of this.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12801 on: May 07, 2019, 03:44:42 AM »
- lawn mower was running like crap so did DIY job (new plug, filter, oil, blade)  $25 instead of $50 service or $200 for a new mower

I am not a DIY person (yet !) so I was pretty proud of this.

Well done, @Dare2Dream!

The first time I changed the light in my rangehood (a fiddly job), I texted my mate the electrician to tell him. :D

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12802 on: May 07, 2019, 05:11:54 AM »
I made jam from leftover plumps at work. I also cut up 5 leftover bananas and put them in the freezer, waiting for a good plan. Maybe milkshake would be good. Or ice cream.
I'll bite. What are "plumps"?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12803 on: May 07, 2019, 05:31:16 AM »
Fixed a pair of shoes instead of throwing them out.  I probably wouldn't have replaced them, but I do like them.  Bonus that they were free in the first place. 

I'd like to either fix or replace cheaply the pair of shoes that I've work to work every day for the last 16-ish years.  They're Doc Martens.  Apparently the new ones come in two flavors, made in England or made in Asia.  The ones still made in England are still good quality, but significantly more expensive than the ones made in Asia, that are reportedly subpar quality-wise.  The really Mustachian thing to do would be to just wear the steel toes that I was issued 5 years ago, but they are terribly uncomfortable and I don't regularly go anywhere that they are required.  So they live in my desk drawer.

Just a follow up.  I checked Poshmark and found a lightly used pair of the work shoes that I've been wearing for $45 with free shipping.  I'm pretty happy with myself.  Hopefully I can get another 15 years out of them.  I watched Mind Over Money the other day and have been thinking about his suggestion that we only "save" money if we put the money we'd have otherwise spent in a savings account.  I might have to start doing that. 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12804 on: May 07, 2019, 05:32:00 AM »
Fixed a pair of shoes instead of throwing them out.  I probably wouldn't have replaced them, but I do like them.  Bonus that they were free in the first place. 

I'd like to either fix or replace cheaply the pair of shoes that I've work to work every day for the last 16-ish years.  They're Doc Martens.  Apparently the new ones come in two flavors, made in England or made in Asia.  The ones still made in England are still good quality, but significantly more expensive than the ones made in Asia, that are reportedly subpar quality-wise.  The really Mustachian thing to do would be to just wear the steel toes that I was issued 5 years ago, but they are terribly uncomfortable and I don't regularly go anywhere that they are required.  So they live in my desk drawer.

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed a big difference in quality between older and newer pairs. But then I haven't had my newish pair for 16 years yet - no noticeable wear after 3 years though.

For work, I need to travel to the city my sibling lives in. Hadn't visited them in their new home yet, so I'm travelling after work today, will spend the evening there and go to the work appointment tomorrow. Work pays all my travel costs so I will go there for free. Saves me about €40.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12805 on: May 07, 2019, 01:12:15 PM »
I made jam from leftover plumps at work. I also cut up 5 leftover bananas and put them in the freezer, waiting for a good plan. Maybe milkshake would be good. Or ice cream.
I'll bite. What are "plumps"?

Plums?

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12806 on: May 07, 2019, 02:04:43 PM »
Apples from our farm food box needed to be used.  They were showing signs of getting near the end of their life.

A bit of butter, oatmeal, molasses and some spices -- there is now apple crumble! I make it not-very-sweet, so this shall be breakfast/snacks for a couple days, at least!

And bonus -- it fits in the toaster oven, so I don't have to use the big oven!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12807 on: May 07, 2019, 03:58:15 PM »
First day wearing stockings this year.

Apparently I’m out of practice. Punched both thumbs straight through the waistband.

So I got out the trusty clear nail polish (and threw a spare pair in my bag just in case).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12808 on: May 07, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »
And another one from me, since I didn't have time to post this morning.

Husband announced he needed a new motorcycle helmet.

Me: Why?
Him: I broke the visor.
Me: So buy a new visor.
Him: But I broke the side pod too.
Me: You can replace that... don't you already have a spare visor since you put the mirrored visor on as soon as you bought it?
Him: Yes...
Me: Wait, wasn't there a spare side pod too?
Him: Maybe.
Me: So where are they?
Him: The last time I saw them they were at [his parents' old house].
Me: Yeah, me too... have you called them?
Him: No.
Me: You could save $900 by making a phone call and you haven't done it?
Him: Well... I just wanted a new one.
Me: Oh I know.

His parents' turned up the visor (his dad texted a photo of six spare helmet visors and said, 'Is it one of these?') No luck on the side pod, but I just found them online. I can order a spare set, in the same helmet design, posted from overseas, for $80.

I'll take spending $80 over $800 any day.

(Note: If he'd come off the bike in that helmet, I would agree to replacing it in a heartbeat. Frugal. Not cheap.)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12809 on: May 08, 2019, 02:41:17 AM »

Apparently I’m out of practice. Punched both thumbs straight through the waistband.

So I got out the trusty clear nail polish (and threw a spare pair in my bag just in case).

Woman here. I hate stocking too, because they always tear apart. And yes, the nail polish makes them live a little longer. It does help though to buy the thicker, inelegant stockings. They last a little longer. Wearing trousers is an even better idea.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #12810 on: May 08, 2019, 10:05:08 AM »
-- On Thursday we went with friends to an escape room for hubby's bday.  Friend had a 40% off coupon for all of us to use because she interviewed there.  Turns out they offered her the job, so regardless of whether she takes it, her game on Thursday was entirely free for all of us!  Score!

-- On Saturday I answered an online ad for free moving boxes (we are moving in a week).  Picked up WAY more boxes than I think we will end up using.  And they were only used once, and were the heavy duty ones from Lowes and Home Depot!  I will pass them on to extend their use when we are done too.

-- Met a big group of friends at the ice cream shop near our house (again for DH's bday).  I held the table while everyone else ordered.  One of our friends tacked DH's cone onto their order, so we only paid for mine out of the account. 

-- Am cleaning out the cupboards before moving.  I've been adding leftover cream to my coffee, drinking up tea hiding in the cupboards, eating the meat out of the fridge and freezer, and all around creating slightly odd combos to clear it out.  We did cheat and buy some BOGO frozen pizzas to fill in any gaps during the next week or so of living in a fort of boxes and a half packed house. 

-- The big one -- Managed to find someone who wanted our second hand box spring.  If they hadn't taken it, we would have had to pay to dispose of it and add mileage to our moving van rental to transport it.  Someone posted online that they needed one and we gave it away to them.

-- And also, we found out our insurance covers the occasional cracked windshield without a copay or any effect on the insurance since it wasn't caused by a collision.  The money I budgeted for our cracked windshield this month went straight into savings :D

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12811 on: May 08, 2019, 12:22:24 PM »
Spent 14$ on epoxy glue and white duct tape to fix the 2 broken shelves and 1 broken drawer on my fridge, instead of spending 280$ on new shelves or 1200$ on a new fridge.

Also spent 20$ on dye to re-dye the formerly-white slipcover (stained and grimy-looking even when clean) instead of spending 150$ for a slipcover for a 500$ couch.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12812 on: May 08, 2019, 12:54:55 PM »

Woman here. I hate stocking too, because they always tear apart. And yes, the nail polish makes them live a little longer. It does help though to buy the thicker, inelegant stockings. They last a little longer. Wearing trousers is an even better idea.

Wearing thicker pairs certainly helps - my 60 denier pairs usually last me two winters. Thinner ones don't last as long but more expensive pairs are certainly much better than cheaper pairs. It's kind of stating the obvious but make sure your nails are smooth (hands and feet) and there are no sharp edges to any zippers.  I wear skirts and dresses 90% of the time and I buy about 10 pairs a year. I have a lot of skirts that go well with thicker thights but for a formal look I do wear thinner ones from time to time.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12813 on: May 08, 2019, 12:56:30 PM »
Plus, to save money I took home a sandwich that was left over after a meeting and had it for dinner. They were going to be thrown out otherwise.

Dare2Dream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12814 on: May 08, 2019, 01:32:58 PM »
*Making sourdough bread for dinner, used the excess starter to make pancakes for breakfast
*Returning a sweater I bought on clearance but decided I won't wear often
*Used Hilton points from a work trip to knock a few bucks of my Amazon order this morning (LED grow lights, which in the long run will be cheaper than what I currently use for my veggie seedlings, both in electricity and bulb replacements)
*Built a seed-starting bench out of cheap lumber, mixed a couple kind of leftover stain together to finish it, and mounted it with old shop shelf brackets that I spray painted to make them blend better/be less ugly, using a can of paint I already had.
*Starting a bunch more seedlings for the garden.
*Working with Stanley customer service to hopefully get a replacement lid for my travel mug instead of replacing the whole mug.

Make sure to plant a lot of tomato seeds this season.  "Tariffs could send tomato prices soaring in US, Mexico says"

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12815 on: May 08, 2019, 04:51:53 PM »
Put in my M5 cashback form for tolls, got $111 back in less than 48 hours.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12816 on: May 09, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »

Oh my god, is this State Government policy still going??? Wow.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12817 on: May 10, 2019, 01:08:45 AM »
Made my first refinanced mortgage payment at 3.375% on a ten year term.  It’s a high figure but I should be seeing fast progress paying this place off. 

I cancelled an unhelpful dr appointments or  follow up for a condition that nothing can be done about currently.  Treating with OTC drops for now.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12818 on: May 10, 2019, 03:56:53 AM »
Opted for Aldi crumbed chicken pieces and homemade potato wedges over takeaway for a Friday night treat dinner.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12819 on: May 10, 2019, 03:58:23 AM »

Oh my god, is this State Government policy still going??? Wow.

Says the guy who has never paid tolls in his life. :D

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12820 on: May 10, 2019, 04:54:15 PM »
Did not order lunch out when the office did. Everyone else got Mexican, and I still had a container of the rice & beans mixture that i batch cooked last weekend. I heated it up in the kitchenette, threw on some sriracha, and ate my frugal fill!

Still wanted a taco, though...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12821 on: May 11, 2019, 08:50:11 AM »
I've been working through our freezer, trying to get work down our previously made meals, as well as items that aren't in the normal rotation & need planning to use up. My goal is to have the freezer in a reasonably clean state by the end of May. So far, I've used up 11 items, and my goal for May is 15, so crushing it.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #12822 on: May 12, 2019, 08:37:22 AM »
Catch up from the last few days:

* Packed a picnic lunch and boy2 in the car on Friday, then picked up my mom for a "Mother's Day of Adventures' (a la the non-consumer advocate).

-We stopped to cash in on free lattes from a local place before leaving town(one free coffee for moms that are signed up for their free loyalty program)
-Drove a scenic byway through the mountains to a lovely lake, where we had our picnic. Did some light hiking/exploring, then took the scenic road in a loop over a free river ferry (part of the state highway system). Spent some time enjoying the beach of the mighty Columbia and the wildflowers of the scablands nearby before heading home.

* Sold our home in less than a day. My partner set up a pet and hangout area in the detached garage. Otherwise, we would have had to of paid for boarding since our elderly but large-ish dog won't walk for more than a few yards due to arthritis and asthma, and there was no car at home. She gets stressed badly around other dogs, too (loves cats, though!), so taking her to a friends wasn't going to work. (Don't worry, she was never left alone in there!)

* Fought the urge to celebrate with an expensive night on the town. Instead, grilled and made s'mores, inadvertently turning it into a mini-neighborhood party.

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #12823 on: May 12, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
Not quite Maximum Badass, but at least Pareto Badass. (Aka, 80/20 Badass)
Ha - I like that one!!!! :-)

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #12824 on: May 12, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »
Also spent 20$ on dye to re-dye the formerly-white slipcover (stained and grimy-looking even when clean) instead of spending 150$ for a slipcover for a 500$ couch.
I love this and do it all the time! I just ruined a knitted sweater straigth off the needles and I got bleach on it. It was just a small spot but the color was gone and the spot was white on a blue sweater. So I bought fabrc dye and after a round in the washing machine I now have a wonderful dark blue sweater without any signs of the accident. I have also overdyed jeans numerous times. It is magic!

save234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12825 on: May 12, 2019, 05:19:30 PM »
Switched my car and renter's insurance provider- more than 50% cheaper with the same coverage!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12826 on: May 12, 2019, 06:51:25 PM »
We went out for mother's day dinner at a nice restaurant... we inadvertently got three different kinds of bread with various dishes and appetizers, and there was so much left over that I got a bag to take it home. Now I have to figure out how to use ~15 slightly stale squares of grilled flatbread :-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12827 on: May 13, 2019, 01:58:36 AM »
I've been working through our freezer, trying to get work down our previously made meals, as well as items that aren't in the normal rotation & need planning to use up. My goal is to have the freezer in a reasonably clean state by the end of May. So far, I've used up 11 items, and my goal for May is 15, so crushing it.

I might eat another leftover portion from the freezer. But I have been stuffing my freezer with lots of edible plants. That should be enough for quite a few meals, we should just not forget to eat it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12828 on: May 13, 2019, 03:44:08 AM »

Me: You can replace that... don't you already have a spare visor since you put the mirrored visor on as soon as you bought it?

His parents' turned up the visor (his dad texted a photo of six spare helmet visors and said, 'Is it one of these?') No luck on the side pod, but I just found them online. I can order a spare set, in the same helmet design, posted from overseas, for $80.

(Note: If he'd come off the bike in that helmet, I would agree to replacing it in a heartbeat. Frugal. Not cheap.)

Picked up the visor on the weekend, the spare side pods arrived today.

Five minutes with a wooden skewer (rather than paying for a specialist tool from Arai), and the helmet is good as new.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12829 on: May 13, 2019, 04:09:53 AM »

Picked up the visor on the weekend, the spare side pods arrived today.

Five minutes with a wooden skewer (rather than paying for a specialist tool from Arai), and the helmet is good as new.

Ummmm. My Aldi helmet will probably be replaced this year as it is 4 years old and gets used daily.  I'd better get another $90 ready.  August is the usual date.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12830 on: May 13, 2019, 06:38:47 AM »
I love this and do it all the time! I just ruined a knitted sweater straigth off the needles and I got bleach on it. It was just a small spot but the color was gone and the spot was white on a blue sweater. So I bought fabrc dye and after a round in the washing machine I now have a wonderful dark blue sweater without any signs of the accident. I have also overdyed jeans numerous times. It is magic!

A friend of mine is a minister and was complaining about how quickly black shirts get dingy and need replacing and I was like... 60$ shirt vs 2$ dye packet? DUDE.

He'd never thought of it, and has been enthusiastically informing all his minister-friends of this ever since.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12831 on: May 13, 2019, 06:55:37 AM »
dropped comp and collision on old car.  (should have done long time ago!)  saving $280 per year

bought really good boar bristled broom to decrease vacuuming

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12832 on: May 13, 2019, 07:36:37 AM »
Sold the VAN and picked up a 2010 Prius!!

I have been really missing having a Prius in the family for the last year, when our 2006 was totaled.  Finally convinced the SO that the 19 year old kid never rides with us anywhere (and is planning to move out) and that 90% of the time it is just SO and 3 kids in the car.  Therefore another Prius will fit our needs perfectly fine 90% of the time and I don't want to pay for the van or the gas or the insurance on a van for the other 10% of the time. 

VAN = $12k
VAN Insurance = $100/month
VAN Fuel =$50/400 miles

PRIUS = $5k
PRIUS Insurance = $25/month
PRIUS Fuel = $25/400 miles

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12833 on: May 13, 2019, 07:58:07 AM »
i see prius as expensive in used market.
how much was it ?
and mileage ?

how did you sell your van?

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12834 on: May 13, 2019, 08:35:44 AM »
Saved money with a couple of short bike trips yesterday.  Needed a couple of gallons of milk, and we were already at Walmart grocery picking a few other items up.  The milk was over $1 per gallon more than Aldi, so I held off. 

I also needed some curry paste for a new Thai dish I'm trying out, and was having a very difficult time finding the recommended brand, even at an Asian grocery store I sometimes go to.  I was contemplating ordering it from Amazon, but I knew for items like this that would cost a premium (Was about $2.50/can).  Instead, I biked to a different SE Asian grocery I'd never been to, and got 4 cans for $1.10 each. 

Was it worth it to bike 7 miles to save $9 (Aldi and this grocery store were in opposite directions)?  In my mind, I got to take a 7 mile bike ride in gorgeous weather, and earned $15-16 doing so - as I'd have to earn about that much for $9 after tax at current marginal rates.  Sounds worth it to me.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12835 on: May 13, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
I made cheese toasties for breakfast from a little bit of leftover cheese and stale bread that were leftover from Friday. I made a small salad for lunch and will have leftovers for dinner.

A friend of mine has given birth and I'll be visiting the baby soon. I finished a very quick baby quilt from stash today. All the fabric used was leftover from a previous baby quilt. The pattern is very simple but the result is nice!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12836 on: May 13, 2019, 07:14:47 PM »
I always check the discount rack at the grocery store when we go in. I've had some great finds there- my (very expensive) prenatal for 75% off (nearing expiration), and today toothpaste! 50% off. Only find things we need about 1/3 times at most, but the savings on supplements and household items make it well worth the effort. Just have to resist the siren call of shitty discount candy ;)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #12837 on: May 14, 2019, 01:13:23 PM »
I always check the discount rack at the grocery store when we go in. I've had some great finds there- my (very expensive) prenatal for 75% off (nearing expiration), and today toothpaste! 50% off. Only find things we need about 1/3 times at most, but the savings on supplements and household items make it well worth the effort. Just have to resist the siren call of shitty discount candy ;)

+1 to all of this, although I'm genetically non-predisposed to shitty candy. What's also cool about that rack, at least at my local supermarket, is seeing what *kind* of stuff is always marked down (because clearly enough people are smart enough to not buy it). Usually really gimmicky stuff in the toy/beauty/"health" areas.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12838 on: May 16, 2019, 04:36:54 AM »

Recently I saw a deodorant for a 1/3 of the normal price. They change the looks of it a while ago and I didn't buy them ever since, because the price was too high. Now I saw a pile of them. I bought 4, because I was not completely sure it was the brand that I favor. But in retrospect, I should have bought the lot (20 or so). 4 will be used up in same months. Last time it was on sale was 2 years ago.

But I also felt for the temptation to buy chocolate oatmeal cookies for low price. We tend to bring those along on hiking trips.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12839 on: May 16, 2019, 05:02:01 AM »
Bought another Firestick (on sale!) to use with the old TV rather than buying a new smart TV.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12840 on: May 16, 2019, 08:17:44 AM »
1. Harvested fresh grape and a couple of Roma tomatoes from the garden, will saute this morning with herbs from the garden and my super pungent garlic chives. Freezing immediately.
2. Next, harvesting, cutting up and freezing fresh peppers in a baggie.

3. In between, I'll hang a load of laundry in the back yard.

The jasmine tree and gardenia bush smell heavenly - I wonder if I could make jasmine/gardenia water from the fragrant blooms?

4. Leftovers for lunch.

5. Researching a suitable new credit card (to use for home improvements) - I want a mix of zero percent APR and a bonus, but I think mathematically speaking an 18 mo zero interest card with no bonus might be the better deal.:) Don't you just hate being mathematically challenged?
Then there is the 15 mo - no interest card with a $150 bonus, maybe I should do both?

6. Using my Mother's Day gift card to the garden center today and I will not spend a penny more.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12841 on: May 16, 2019, 12:18:51 PM »
Leftover apples at work = home made apple cake for national holiday tomorrow.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12842 on: May 16, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »

Yum:) - I love apple cake. How do you make yours @Linea_Norway ?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12843 on: May 16, 2019, 01:17:00 PM »
-Leftovers for dinner all week (we cook on weekends, and reheat during the week due to schedules).
-I've continued to find interesting looking books on the freebie table at work
-Had my husband drop me off at work, and will Uber home (expensed) from a work event.
-I have friends in town starting tomorrow. We'd discussed going out for a drink after I pick them up from the airport. Instead, we'll head to my house & open up a nice bottle of wine. We'd planned to be around the pool, but the weather sucks. A little less optimal than I'd planned, but we'll make it work.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12844 on: May 17, 2019, 03:24:47 AM »

@Rosy

For the bottom layer, I used an old recipe for cake: 250 grams white flower, 250 grams white sugar, 250 grams of butter or margerine, 5 eggs and a dash of baking powder. Just mix together and put in a roasting tray. I also added some totally optional sweet edible plant to the batter and some grated lime skin.
The apples were chopped with skin still on, and blended with brown, thick sugar, some cinnamon, some carnation, some nutmeg and vanillasugar. In the oven quite warm for more than an hour. But I had to put the temperature lower after 45 minutes, because the apples were brown enough. It tastes good.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12845 on: May 17, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »

@Rosy

For the bottom layer, I used an old recipe for cake: 250 grams white flower, 250 grams white sugar, 250 grams of butter or margerine, 5 eggs and a dash of baking powder. Just mix together and put in a roasting tray. I also added some totally optional sweet edible plant to the batter and some grated lime skin.
The apples were chopped with skin still on, and blended with brown, thick sugar, some cinnamon, some carnation, some nutmeg and vanillasugar. In the oven quite warm for more than an hour. But I had to put the temperature lower after 45 minutes, because the apples were brown enough. It tastes good.

@Linea_Norway - Wow, that is indeed an intriguing recipe - I cannot wait to try this one.
Questions:
1. Carnation as in condensed milk?
2. I might try a bit of finely chopped lemon verbena leaves from my garden in the batter then - it has a sweet, lemon flavor - do you think that would work?
3. How many apples approximately? and how small do you chop them? Slices or cubes?

Thank you so much:)

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12846 on: May 17, 2019, 12:46:26 PM »
bought groceries for making mexican food to avoid taking everyone out to eat

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12847 on: May 17, 2019, 03:57:47 PM »
So...this is a minor thing but...

I have these jeans.  They are my favorite pair.  They have gotten pretty worn in the inner thigh because: duh.  I stopped wearing them a year ago because of the fraying and tearing and hung them up.  I spent time over the year on Pinterest and Google, looking at invisible, or decorative, ways to patch.

My friends say "um, find a new favorite pair?"  But here's the thing - jeans are hard yo.  I'm female.  My weight fluctuates by 5 lbs easily depending on the day or time of year or how much running and/or weightlifting that I'm doing.  I have a couple of pairs that are too big.  I have a pair that fits well but is straight leg.  So meh.  I have two newer pairs that I like *ok* but they are tighter on the lower leg, which isn't an awesome look for me, but they mostly fit.  I'm no fashion plate, obv.

After months of nothing, I saw them in the closet today.  Put them on. Yep, still obviously frayed.  Took them off, went to the sewing machine with some dark blue thread, and just zig zagged over the frayed area, in essence sewing that section onto the seam below it.  Voila, fixed!

Next up, I have been eyeing "travel pants" for our summer vacation.  But I have a pair of pants that are of similar style (cargo-ish, light weight, quick dry).  But they are too big.  I may see what I can do this weekend to trim them up a bit.  If not, baggy pants are just fine.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12848 on: May 18, 2019, 12:06:21 AM »

@Rosy

@Linea_Norway - Wow, that is indeed an intriguing recipe - I cannot wait to try this one.
Questions:
1. Carnation as in condensed milk?
2. I might try a bit of finely chopped lemon verbena leaves from my garden in the batter then - it has a sweet, lemon flavor - do you think that would work?
3. How many apples approximately? and how small do you chop them? Slices or cubes?

Thank you so much:)

@Rosy

Carnation was a translation mistake, because I used a tool that gave a wrong suggestion. I meant clove, in powder form.
Yes, lemon grind would also work.
I had 8 apples. I shop each quarter in 2 or 3 slices and each slice in 4 chuncks.

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #12849 on: May 18, 2019, 06:48:50 AM »
I ordered some jeans and a jacket (both a need not a want) from an 2nd hand ebay seller. I am a plus size and it is hard to find items second hand. The items arrived and are good value for what I paid. BUT the jeans donīt fit and the jacket is only 80% right.... I contemplated for two days keeping them and calling the jacket ok and to "work into the jeans" . But here is the problem.... I have a loadful of clothes to "work into" and it never happened.
So just now I decided to return everything (it is free of charge just as the shipping was). I feel bad to have them have costs and no business but I just do not need more clothes that I am not totally happy with.