Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020861 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7550 on: November 27, 2016, 12:35:38 PM »
Don't let perfect be the enemy of frugal!

Great line, Bracken.

My small thing: got some sewing back from my mum, ripped seams fixed, zips replaced, money saved.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7551 on: November 27, 2016, 12:40:15 PM »
Don't let perfect be the enemy of frugal!

Great line, Bracken.

My small thing: got some sewing back from my mum, ripped seams fixed, zips replaced, money saved.

I wish I could claim credit. Alas, it is the clever Mrs Frugalwoods who coined that: http://www.frugalwoods.com/2015/07/13/perfection-is-the-enemy-of-frugality/

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #7552 on: November 27, 2016, 01:01:02 PM »
I cancelled my Pogo.com account. It's a game site that honestly I have played in months and is sillly. It's only $4.99 a month, but decided to cancel. We ate all meals at home today, and I made homemade cookies for the kids, and made and froze breakfast burritos for the hubs and I for breakfast for next week, using deer meat we harvested and eggs from our chickens, with cheap tortillas.

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7553 on: November 27, 2016, 05:08:54 PM »
Came back from a holiday and was starving after not eating on the no frills flight (£5 for a pitiful sandwich). Would have been another £6 for a pitiful sandwich at the airport but waited for an hour and 15min to get home and made oatmeal. Soothed all of me as it's bloody freezing in London tonight.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7554 on: November 27, 2016, 07:41:16 PM »
Made a huge batch of homemade waffles for dinner ... had a box of sausages in the freezer so had those too.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7555 on: November 27, 2016, 10:11:15 PM »
I must brag on my partner who saved us money.  He has a knack for finding grocery markdowns. This time it included 99 cent quarts of yogurt, deeply discounted tea and a huge 2.99 marked down take and bake pizza that he had in the oven when I walked in the door from my long road trip to visit my ill grandfather. He doesn't even like pizza but I do! He called early in the day to let me know he had dinner planned and I was able to completely avoid buying convenience food.

Teamwork makes the dream work.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7556 on: November 27, 2016, 11:26:34 PM »
I must brag on my partner who saved us money.  He has a knack for finding grocery markdowns. This time it included 99 cent quarts of yogurt, deeply discounted tea and a huge 2.99 marked down take and bake pizza that he had in the oven when I walked in the door from my long road trip to visit my ill grandfather. He doesn't even like pizza but I do! He called early in the day to let me know he had dinner planned and I was able to completely avoid buying convenience food.

Teamwork makes the dream work.

Hope your grandfather is ok. Hope you are ok, too.

Your partner sounds like a champ. The little things make a big difference.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7557 on: November 28, 2016, 03:21:40 AM »
My husband's phone packed it in today and leaves on a work trip OS tomorrow, so we had to sort it out tonight.

Fortunately Apple replaced the handset free.

I bought a dress for a work function for new job. Saved $100.

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
« Reply #7558 on: November 28, 2016, 03:32:36 AM »
Today I brought lunch to work and also made dinner for myself! Doesn't sound like much but I'm saving huge amounts on entertainment and dining out expenses. Also, didn't buy coffee on the walk to work - made a cup of tea in a reusable take away cup and had that instead!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7559 on: November 28, 2016, 07:15:28 AM »
Waited almost six months to replace a frustratingly slow old laptop in order to get a great Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal. Saved about $75 over the best deal I've seen in the meantime. Plus I figure the longer I keep laptops, the fewer laptops I'll buy in my life, and that saves some amount of money too. And I paid for it with my CSR cash back reward, which was deposited last week.

Saved 25% on two-day passes to my favorite music festival with a Cyber Monday discount code.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7560 on: November 28, 2016, 07:44:36 AM »
Waited until yesterday to replace shoes for DH and I- trail runners with lugs for me, his general workout/sprints shoes for him. His last pair we scored on 6pm.com for $60, but we hadn't been able to find an equivalent pair for less than $100. A good pair came up for Cyber Monday sale for $60 and free shipping, so we grabbed those. For me, there's a specific brand of trail runners we like, and it almost *never* goes on sale, so I was elated to find the normally $150 shoes for $65+$10 shipping. Husband's last pair lasted him 2 years, my last trail runners lasted me SIX YEARS but now have so little texture on the sole I took a pretty rough fall last run we took. I've been tracking prices on these two items for nearly a year now, planning for their replacement.

Anyway, hobby expense ultimately, but with how long they last, and getting a good price on them, I'm happy with the purchase. Hopefully these will hold up as long as the last ones did.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7561 on: November 28, 2016, 09:43:34 AM »
I used the pan drippings from last night's pork chops to saute mushrooms and onions for this morning's frittata. Tiny, tiny savings (maybe 1tbsp of butter or oil saved?) but also reduces a bit of food waste.

Walked to the post office to mail a baby gift to my cousin and buy stamps. Stopped with my toddler to watch the trains on our way back.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #7562 on: November 28, 2016, 10:27:02 AM »
Got my oil changed and took advantage of the 25% military discount (SO is a vet). The guy tried to sell me a $50 cabin filter but I declined. A quick Amazon search shows they average around $10 and YouTube abounds with how-to videos. I ain't a sucka.

Went to a sporting goods store and scored winter boots for myself on clearance for $40. Similar UNLINED ones with questionable waterproof abilities retail for $75+. These are Thinsulate rated to -30 degrees F and definitely waterproof, plus the inside is completely lined, even the rubber part at the bottom. And they're kinda cute. And my orthotics fit inside them comfortably.

Found a holiday dress for DD at a Justice store nearby for 40% off. Waited until today and now it's 50% off. Not so holidayish, either, so she'll get a lot of use out of it.   

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7563 on: November 28, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
Started a batch of "Artisan Bread in 5" yesterday, and broke off half of it this morning to make a loaf for our lunch. Oven is heating now. I won't be enjoying any because I'm eating Whole 30 at the moment.

http://www.food.com/recipe/5-minute-artisan-bread-325571

ETA Photo
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:10:54 PM by 1967mama »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7564 on: November 28, 2016, 01:29:01 PM »
Costco is still having their $8 off a pork loin sale, so I picked up their smallest (7lbs) to maximize savings. Cashier was so impressed I got $8 off a $13 roast he double checked the price, lol. Pork for around $0.75/lb will go a long way to feeding the mass of family visiting for the holidays!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7565 on: November 28, 2016, 01:57:43 PM »
The bag of oranges I picked up from the Supermarket yesterday was rancid and mouldy.

Returned it, got it refunded ($5) and they let me pick a new one.

I looked at it VERY carefully this time.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7566 on: November 28, 2016, 02:03:04 PM »
Costco is still having their $8 off a pork loin sale, so I picked up their smallest (7lbs) to maximize savings. Cashier was so impressed I got $8 off a $13 roast he double checked the price, lol. Pork for around $0.75/lb will go a long way to feeding the mass of family visiting for the holidays!

Score!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7567 on: November 28, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »
Spent 30$ on a new wheel to replace the broken stroller wheel instead of 209$ for the (on sale!!) replacement stroller my husband had been ogling.

Baby gear is a ludicrous racket, but that stroller has been VERY useful with our daughter (2.5) who still uses it, and will likely be handy with our second kid, due in February.

Fixing instead of replacing: win. Hopefully we get another few years out of this fix.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7568 on: November 28, 2016, 02:14:12 PM »
Unsubscribing from a few store mailing lists I ended up on after online Christmas shopping.

I don't need 27 emails a week trying to sell me cute stationery or god knows what.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #7569 on: November 29, 2016, 08:02:30 AM »
Talk to my husband.
A post in here had me look up American Giant sweaters, got me convinced and I was about to order one for DH. Before confirming the purchase I ask him if he NEEDS a new sweater, and he replied "Oh, yeah, I really need one. Could you try and find me one next time you go thrift shopping?".
120$ saved!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7570 on: November 29, 2016, 09:22:53 AM »
Today I have a very long day at the office. They serve dinner in the canteen here, that costs 2 lunch tickets. I found that expensive and chose to bring a leftover portion of food that I found in the freezer at home. It tasted well. I wasn't the only one who ate leftover food from home.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7571 on: November 29, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »
I got a 24m winter coat for my toddler for $3 at goodwill, he won't make it through the winter without outgrowing his 18m coat. Also picked up a set of Hanna Andersson holiday pajamas for $1 that ought to fit next year, though I'm tempted to see if I can flip them on eBay.

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7572 on: November 29, 2016, 10:34:49 AM »
Travelled a few days and didn't spend any money because everything was provided by the airline.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7573 on: November 29, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »
Just emailed Zinio and asked to cancel an auto-renew magazine subscription.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #7574 on: November 29, 2016, 02:04:03 PM »
Decided not to renew my Pandora One (ad-free) subscription ($4.99/mo) and instead took advantage of a $0.99 3-month Spotify Premium offer.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7575 on: November 29, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »
Decided not to renew my Pandora One (ad-free) subscription ($4.99/mo) and instead took advantage of a $0.99 3-month Spotify Premium offer.

Love your name!

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #7576 on: November 30, 2016, 07:41:47 AM »
Holiday part at work today- instead of making something fancy, or even purchasing fancy pastries, I baked a pumpkin pie, which I had all the ingredients for at home.

Breakfast for everyone at home- oats and yogurt. Packed lunch for my husband and kiddos in school, my lunch will be at my work holiday party.

Took a short 15 minute walk a few minutes ago at work.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7577 on: November 30, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
I defrosted the turkey carcass that I swiped from the in-laws(they were just going to throw it away!) to make stock.  Lo and behold, there was still a ton of meat left on the bones!  I picked off at least a pound of meat, and put it in the freezer.  Add to that the pound or so of dark meat they already gave me(because "we don't like it").  Looks like we'll get to have an almost-free turkey gumbo for dinner this Christmas!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7578 on: November 30, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »
When I was packing my lunch last night I had half a bottle of homemade tea left, so I topped it off with some orange juice and have been looking forward to the treat all day!

I got the orange juice for 50 cents a half gallon!  I rarely buy that sort of thing but at that price I bought two.  I have one in the freezer.  I'll be enjoying this for a little while. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #7579 on: November 30, 2016, 04:29:44 PM »
Finally paid attention to the "mustachian food stash at work" post and brought in a box of couscous. So lunch each day this week has been a bowl with leftover supper, some couscous, and hot water from the kettle, for a pretty good soup thing. And some almonds and other snacky stuff for the rest of the workday.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7580 on: November 30, 2016, 04:46:40 PM »
Renewed insurance on my old house (had to move for work, real estate market sucks in my old city but rental market is awesome) for $1,500 less than State Farm had been charging me.  I had looked in the past but was always confused since it seemed most companies didn't offer hurricane insurance.  This time, I emailed three agents, gave them the details and asked to have quotes sent to me.  Was shocked at how much I'd been overpaying and kicking myself for not doing this sooner.  Better late than never I guess. 

Also made mini meatloaves for dinner using marked down ground turkey, marked down green beans and clearance Annie's mac-n-cheese.  Not the healthiest, but got the job done fast for less than $2 and there are enough leftovers for another dinner!

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #7581 on: November 30, 2016, 04:47:17 PM »
Zucchinis in my area are currently $6/kg. Went to the fruit market that sells marked and dodgy produce 'for juicing' and got a 2kg bag for $3. Now all I have to do is use all this zucchini ...

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7582 on: November 30, 2016, 05:53:56 PM »
I have some black socks that have a ridiculously tight elastic top to them - like leave major dents in my ankles/calves tight.  (Side note: now I know why they were on clearance at Target.)  I was about to donate them, but then I tried just cutting off the super tight elastic at the top.  So far, so good!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7583 on: November 30, 2016, 06:09:34 PM »
Had a work function yesterday, and the macaron platters for dessert were barely touched.

I spoke to the venue staff and handed me a container of about 20 before I left.

Into the freezer they will go.

Anagnorisis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7584 on: November 30, 2016, 08:57:30 PM »
Saved $0.50 a day by switching to Diamond Naturals Dog Food from Wellness Brand.  $1.30/lb down to $0.80/lb and my girl eats about a pound a day.  The best part is she MUCH prefers it!

Dropped the thermostats 1 degree across the board.  They range from 59 to 64 now, depending on zone and time of day.  I also tightened up the times that the thermostats adjust.  I rent two rooms out, so this doesn't just affect me, but if there are any complaints I'll gladly go back.

Started turning the water off while I scrub down in the shower.  This saves about 2 minutes of hot water every other day.  Won't likely save me anything on the water as it's billed in blocks of 1,000 gallons, but it will save me a bit on heating the water.

Signed up for free cell service through work.  Republic cost me about $14 a month. 

Used a $10 credit at the hardware store to replace a CFL that finally burned out with an LED.  I still have a few CFLs left but am waiting for them to burn out before replacing.

Washed laundry in cold water with homemade soap, then line dried inside.

Cancelled Amazon Prime, I'll split the $99/yr with nearby family and have the few things I order delivered there.  The $50/yr is absolutely worth it for lower prices on a few items that I haven't been able to source cheaper otherwise.  Dog food & toilet paper being the big ones.  Delivery is awfully nice too. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:21:37 PM by Anagnorisis »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7585 on: November 30, 2016, 10:17:16 PM »
Wow, you're on a roll, Anagnorisis!

I'm going to be out from morning till midnight seven days in a row (except one night where I won't get to come home at all) and I planned ahead and have great homemade dinner options on hand that I can throw together/reheat in five minutes when I get home, so I don't get tempted to eat dinner out. Late lunch + snack + midnight dinner probably isn't anyone's ideal option but it's working for a week.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7586 on: December 01, 2016, 03:15:39 AM »
I am going to use up peppers and onions from the fridge, frozen sweetcorn and some stock cupboard ingredients to make a huge batch of spicy linguine today. That will be lunch for a few days.

The thing I did today that didn't save any money was to buy a new tumble dryer as we couldn't work out how to fix our old one and it has been playing up for months now. It was nice to be able to have the available cash on hand when a household emergency arises so at least it didn't hurt too much. I got cashback from the purchase too.:)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7587 on: December 01, 2016, 04:31:11 AM »
More leftover food from work today.

I'm home alone this week and I'd already planned my meals, so I'm stashing all these odds and ends in the  freezer.

Got a power bill in the mail that conflicts with what a customer service rep told me on the phone, so annoying the power company is on tomorrow's agenda. :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7588 on: December 01, 2016, 04:39:16 AM »
Brought my own lunch to work. Saved 30 NOK.
Put my savings in an index fund, covering the Asia market. Not sure whether this is giving savings, but letting the money stand on a high rent bank account with very low rent certainly doesn't do any good.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7589 on: December 01, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
Saving relatives money- Oregon has no sales tax, and we're hosting Christmas. To save people the trouble of traveling with the gifts here, and paying the sales tax on them, I've bought a couple items for people, including one $280 item. I'm getting reimbursed for all of it, obviously, and the big bonus is I get the 1% back on the CC. Help family, save them money, and make a bit myself? Sure thing.

Went through my inherited christmas decor. No lights, unfortunately, but found a decent deal on those at Costco. Otherwise, I haven't needed to buy any decor. I should have plenty of ornaments- we're going to get our tree this weekend. (Which, in Oregon, if you go to a tree farm, isn't too expensive- we're where most xmas trees in the US come from!)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7590 on: December 01, 2016, 10:07:56 AM »
Zucchinis in my area are currently $6/kg. Went to the fruit market that sells marked and dodgy produce 'for juicing' and got a 2kg bag for $3. Now all I have to do is use all this zucchini ...
Whatever you don't manage to use, grate it and put it in the freezer. Handy for bulking out soups and stews. Also good for cakes, I've heard. :)

I have a friend coming to stay over the weekend and another one the weekend after but my budget does not currently allow for much in the way of eating out and there are already enough events planned over December that I really need these visits to mostly involve cooking and eating at home. With that in mind, I've been trying to prep a bit by stocking up. One supermarket had special offers on beef shoulder and pork fillets last week so I got some of that and also grabbed a packet of mince that was reduced due to being close to its best before date. I just fried that up quickly as soon as I got home and that went into the freezer, along with the other meat. Yesterday I walked the long way round between my two trams and stopped at Aldi. Stocked up on kidney beans, cheese, tins of tomatoes, and bought a huge salmon fillet that was on special offer. Will make some kidney bean and carrot burgers to put into the freezer tomorrow. All in all, I think I'm well set for a few days weeks of fairly easy meals.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7591 on: December 01, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »
Going on a road trip halfway across the country tomorrow.  Here are our frugal road trip strategies:

1)I just went to the grocery store and stocked up on food items that we can take with us; sandwich stuff, breakfast, snacks, and water, so we don't have to buy any food on the way. 
2)My husband and I also drive the 24 hours or so straight through, taking turns driving and sleeping.  In the event that we're both too tired to drive well, we stop at a rest area and nap in the car.
3)All 5 of us ride in the sedan to save on fuel.  Luckily, the children don't take up much room yet!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7592 on: December 01, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »
Had a win with the power company. They're crediting me $67, partly a refund for incorrect charges, partly a goodwill gesture.

Also, my power consumption is lower since moving, as expected.

It's dropped by about 20 per cent, which means the two of us are now using 40 per cent less power than the average single-person dwelling.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #7593 on: December 01, 2016, 05:35:28 PM »
I procured a coffeemaker specifically for company to use from Freecycle, FOR FREE.   

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7594 on: December 01, 2016, 05:59:43 PM »
I procured a coffeemaker specifically for company to use from Freecycle, FOR FREE.

Score!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #7595 on: December 01, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »
Walked into goodwill with the intention of browsing for a crib mattress to re-use into a dog bed for our aging dog.  Didn't find a mattress.

DID however find fancy pants brand name running shoes in box, in DH's size.  He had been needing some for years...his were literally threadbare, but his flat feet don't notice the wear.....

24.00 for something that had a clearance sticker on the box for 60.00.  That have fancy comfy memory foam insides and  he will likely use for years again.

Not quite as good as my 3.00, practically brand new running shoes....but I'll take it ;)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7596 on: December 01, 2016, 06:53:42 PM »
Traded babysitting with a friend. Today was my turn to get stuff done while she wrangled both boys, tomorrow we swap. Grocery shopping without the toddler in tow = win.

Bought a lot of Duplo blocks on eBay. They're still not cheap, but I haven't had any luck finding them at thrift stores and the lot is big enough to split up for Christmas, Easter, and birthday.

Took a long, leisurely walk after nap time that included stops at the library and the railroad crossing to watch the choo-choos.

Made yogurt in my new Instant Pot. Half a gallon of milk turned into 6 cups of amazing tart Greek yogurt and 2 cups of whey (which I saved to use in baking and protein shakes).

Ben Hogan

• Stubble
« Reply #7597 on: December 01, 2016, 07:08:27 PM »
Turned down MNF with friends at a bar.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7598 on: December 01, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »
Turned down MNF with friends at a bar.

What does that mean?

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #7599 on: December 01, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »
Drove an extra few miles to a cheaper dry cleaners. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!