Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021008 times)

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2650 on: February 26, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »
Have been working on freezing our leftovers rather than serving them a second night, so I can build up a reserve of "emergency meals" in the freezer for nights we might otherwise be tempted to order out.

We broke the top plastic handle of our shovel. Inquired on Freecycle for a shovel with a broken blade. Between our broken shovel and the one I got from Freecycle, was able to repair our shovel.

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2651 on: February 26, 2015, 01:53:26 PM »
Marian,

My husband and I just switched to Dorco razors (ordered online) -- same idea. We are super happy with them and my husband has very coarse hair. I was surprised how happy he was, actually, being a die-hard Mach 3 fan!

Hope it works for you!

Thanks, and it's great to hear this sort of positive review! I'm actually pretty excited to get my new razor, haha!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2652 on: February 26, 2015, 02:48:51 PM »
Not a super small thing, but once I get out of work I'm going to pick up a 7-week-old weight/bench set for ~9mo worth of gym membership fees. In less than a year (or even less if roommates contribute) it'll be paid for and "earning" me $30/mo.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2653 on: February 26, 2015, 06:37:26 PM »
Financed my car through my credit union rather than the dealership.  1.24% vs 3%, and the credit union doesn't have a $75 lending fee.  3 years at the CU vs 5 years at the dealer will save me $730 over the life of the loan.

(My husband and I are still debating whether we should have sold some stock rather than financing.  I think at such a low rate I'll hang on to the stock, hubby say the market is so high we should cash out.  But that's a quandary for the "Mustachian People Problems" thread. ;-)

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2654 on: February 26, 2015, 07:43:26 PM »
*  REALLY wanted to go to Target to spend on Cartwheel offers to be able to *save* on things I do not actually need . . . . but didn't!  I stayed out of the store!  Victory!

*  Forgot homemade lunch at home . . . but instead of using $5 pocket money to buy lunch, just sucked it up & went without today

*  No money spent today - Yay! 

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2655 on: February 26, 2015, 08:29:07 PM »
This is a fun thread so I am joining in.  Today my persistence paid off: a business who said I owed them $3,365 went throughout their statement with me and found that in fact they owe me $783. Score!!

On the electrical front, we had weekend guests who found and used a space heater all night (!!!) in their bedroom because the temperature in the house was too low for them!  This messed with my game of reducing our kWh each month.  So, yesterday I turned off the electricity to save some bucks.  I got a call from the woman next door a few hours later, apparently I turned off the pump for the building -during her shower!  Whoops! I turned it back on.  Then I turned off our personal water heater and used barely any electricity today and yesterday, and will also tomorrow, to get back on track.  I told a friend about my game and he looked at me weirdly and said "don't tell too many people you do that" -meaning they will think you are a freak.

I looked at all our bills again and figured how we can reduce our long distance phone bills a lot.  I also started to gauge how many GB or MB my smart phone uses to see if I can reduce my bill to the next level. 

I read some of your posts about Bing and Swagbucks, etc. and am going to look into how to work that system.

Earlier this week I bartered some extra plants for other plants I like, and also swapped a few nights at our house (B and B style) for ten exercise sessions.  I also unexpectedly got a one hour massage from a fabulous masseuse after doing her a big favour.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2656 on: February 26, 2015, 11:13:11 PM »
Took all our water bottles for recycling - savings $2.50... The recycle center is walkable from home and we anyway split it for trash. $2.50 in hand vs in trash

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #2657 on: February 27, 2015, 09:07:36 AM »
12 lbs. Fruit & Vegs from the bodega @.69 lb. 

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #2658 on: February 27, 2015, 09:42:20 AM »
Brought the last of the food in my fridge for lunch today instead of going out to lunch!

Also ordered 3 new books from the library to be picked up after work.

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #2659 on: February 27, 2015, 10:01:59 AM »
Done this for so many years I hardly think of it any more...

Towels today switched out/around in the house. 

Every few (3-4?) years I buy new toweling for the master bath when they start to look a tad worn.  The old but still useable set is moved into the guest/boys bathroom.  The old larger towels are used for dog baths/lining the car trunk and behind the pickup seat for use in hauling things.  The old handtowels are moved into the kitchen under sink for cleaning & messes.  The undersink are moved out for yard/car clean ups.  The old yard/car clean ups are finally tossed.

So Far so GOOOOOOOD - For kicks and giggles I put myself personally on a spending freeze on 01/01/2015 until 03/01/2015 - w/the allowance of clothes replacement as needed and seed purchasing for the upcoming season for the food garden.  So far I personally bought two blouses (around $20 total) as replacement for two which no longer fit and some seeds (about $5).  Losing weight via Nutritional Ketosis (do a google)!  HOOOO-HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!  I put a few things early on in my Amazon cart but there they still sit.  I'll see in a couple of days if I still want what's in there as I can't recall off the top of my head what they are...maybe books and I think a ho-cha-ma-doodle-thingiewhich to hang up my brooms and mops in the laundry area in order to optimize the space.  I'm a couple days out but think I'll win my personal challenge. 

Anyone else make these kinds of deals with themselves? 

No real dire need to do such a challenge but my personal butte-pucker string always does a big SUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKING sound as Dec/Jan passes what w/gift purchases, house taxes, deposits as vacation plans begin to be executed, etc. coming out of the bank.  These are all planned and pre-saved, yet I still react w/an indrawing of the spendypants ties.  No need to expose everything w/your spendypants drawers around your ankles what w/the expanding and everything. 

Tell me I'm not alone?????????????????

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #2660 on: February 28, 2015, 08:39:57 PM »
I did one big thing to save money and one small thing.

Our car (with over 200,000 miles on it) died. I ordered an electric cargo bike to use instead of getting another car.

Our clothes dryer died. I found a big old wooden clothes drying rack that was covered with mildew and painted it with Kilz. That was a bigger job than expected. It took hours and I knocked the can of paint over and had to clean up the mess. DH was sweet and helped.

I do feel like whining a little bit, but I know it's for the best. Hanging up the clothes is pleasant work and I am sure I will enjoy the bike in the good weather. I'll have to be brave about facing the bad weather. Of course, it's amazing how we can adapt sometimes. I will look around the forum for tips and moral support re biking.

mrgrump

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2661 on: March 01, 2015, 07:55:31 AM »
Bought a gift card to Outback Steakhouse for 15% off on Raise.com then printed off a 15% off coupon from Outbacks website. Saved about $15 in total on the meal.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2662 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »
Fully funded my 2014 and 2015 Roths. I have been contributing to the 401k at work, but haven't been able to do the IRA in a while - so very happy to have that squared away.

Made chicken potato soup w/ the broth that I got from boiling the $5 chicken from Costco. Chicken meat is set aside for another dish this week.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2663 on: March 01, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
Picked up free manure for my garden at the local riding stable.  Transported it home in the recycled wood pellet bags in the trunk of our Honda Civic.  There are moments when I fantasize about owning a pickup truck but with a little thought our Civic does 90% of what we need and it's a lot cheaper to hire a guy with a truck once every five years than it is to maintain one.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2664 on: March 01, 2015, 09:56:22 AM »
Going on tour in a week.  Instead of spending my entire per diem, I'm planning on bringing food.  So I bought a tiny rice cooker (makes enough for one) and spent the day dehydrating mixed veggies.  I'll put together baggies with a mix of rice, barley, lentils, dried mixed veggies, powdered tomatoes, and spices.  If I manage to make 20 meals in the cooker over the month, my cost per meal, including the cost of the cooker, will be about $1.40.  And when I'm back from touring, I'll probably take the rice cooker to work and continue to put it to use it there.

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #2665 on: March 01, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »
Going on tour in a week.  Instead of spending my entire per diem, I'm planning on bringing food.  So I bought a tiny rice cooker (makes enough for one) and spent the day dehydrating mixed veggies.  I'll put together baggies with a mix of rice, barley, lentils, dried mixed veggies, powdered tomatoes, and spices.  If I manage to make 20 meals in the cooker over the month, my cost per meal, including the cost of the cooker, will be about $1.40.  And when I'm back from touring, I'll probably take the rice cooker to work and continue to put it to use it there.

This is awesome!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2666 on: March 01, 2015, 10:53:33 AM »
Was away for 9 days unexpectedly this month. Got back home and my mostly full gallon of milk only had a couple days left before expiry. Made soup with it and the veggies that needed to be used up soon and the rest of the broth in the freezer. Delicious. Also made apple crumble with the apples that were going soft (threw in some leftover pineapple too), and banana cookies with the soft bananas. The only thing that wasn't salvageable was the cucumber.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2667 on: March 01, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »
Was away for 9 days unexpectedly this month. Got back home and my mostly full gallon of milk only had a couple days left before expiry. Made soup with it and the veggies that needed to be used up soon and the rest of the broth in the freezer. Delicious. Also made apple crumble with the apples that were going soft (threw in some leftover pineapple too), and banana cookies with the soft bananas. The only thing that wasn't salvageable was the cucumber.

I hate this. This is 95% of my food waste. I have to go out of town unexpectedly, and it seems like it is ALWAYS after a huge grocery trip where I've bought a lot of produce. On the other hand, my neighbors like me a lot now... haha.

jordanread

« Reply #2668 on: March 01, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
I ordered an electric cargo bike to use instead of getting another car.
[...] I am sure I will enjoy the bike in the good weather. I'll have to be brave about facing the bad weather. Of course, it's amazing how we can adapt sometimes. I will look around the forum for tips and moral support re biking.

The bravery is only needed to walk out the door. You wind up adapting pretty quickly. There is a good article linked from the Beginner's Cycling Challenge that does an excellent job explaining how one's ideas of weather evolves. I've found that it only takes about 3 rides. If you would like a place to start, feel free to head over to this month's cycling challenge (link in signature). Also, over the past few months, we've had a lot of discussion regarding gear and technique.
November 2014
December 2014
January 2015
February 2015

Also, the Cold Weather Biking Thread and the Winter Cycling Guantlet also have some pretty good information.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2669 on: March 01, 2015, 02:56:57 PM »
When I travelled a lot I used a 2-cup rice cooker in the hotel.  Combined with free hotel breakfast and light (or no) lunch, I saved a great deal of my per diem.  I really like the idea of making a mix before hand!  Wish I'd thought of doing that.  I just cooked the rice, opened a can of beans, and had supper.  Groceries were bought as needed at the regular grocery store.  Drink was tap water.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2670 on: March 01, 2015, 04:40:45 PM »
Planted some potatoes that were sprouting, and got some trays of soil ready to start cabbage, leeks, broccoli, chard, cauliflower and green onions.

I don't know that it will actually save money, but yesterday I snagged the produce bins and wire freezer baskets from the old fridge before it got hauled off.  Might as well use them for storage in the shop or root cellar.

Avoided the temptation of stopping for a fancy coffee on the way home.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #2671 on: March 01, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
I ordered an electric cargo bike to use instead of getting another car.
[...] I am sure I will enjoy the bike in the good weather. I'll have to be brave about facing the bad weather. Of course, it's amazing how we can adapt sometimes. I will look around the forum for tips and moral support re biking.

The bravery is only needed to walk out the door. You wind up adapting pretty quickly. There is a good article linked from the Beginner's Cycling Challenge that does an excellent job explaining how one's ideas of weather evolves. I've found that it only takes about 3 rides. If you would like a place to start, feel free to head over to this month's cycling challenge (link in signature). Also, over the past few months, we've had a lot of discussion regarding gear and technique.
November 2014
December 2014
January 2015
February 2015

Also, the Cold Weather Biking Thread and the Winter Cycling Guantlet also have some pretty good information.

Thank you! I will read those tonight.

TootTootBeepBeep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2672 on: March 01, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »
The headlight in my car went out this week. I bought the part at autozone and brought it to the repair shop for a $5 repair + cost of the part instead of paying the repair shop mark up.

Shopped the sales at the grocery on the way home and got quite a bit of protein on sale and was inspired to make a large batch of chicken tikka masala (my favorite!) and fancy brown rice for less than $2.50 a meal. So excited about dinner this week and future dinners from the freezer!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2673 on: March 01, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »
Cut my hair.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2674 on: March 01, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »
Went for a family walk near home, and swung by an open house on the hill, full on ocean view (don't worry, at $1.6 million, it's not in the cards), but hey my 8 yo got a free cookie out of it.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2675 on: March 01, 2015, 07:57:12 PM »
Went for an evening stroll last night and picked up some boardgames off the side of the road that someone had put out for household garbage collection. I was pretty convinced that they would be incomplete sets but got them home to find they were basically in brand new condition with nothing missing.

Household garbage collection is my favourite time of year. People throw out great stuff. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2676 on: March 02, 2015, 06:31:11 AM »
Going on tour in a week.  Instead of spending my entire per diem, I'm planning on bringing food.  So I bought a tiny rice cooker

This is clever. I admire you. One word of warning: those tiny rice cookers are more temperamental than the big ones, and it's easy for stuff to stick to the bottom and scorch. You probably wanna do a bunch of practice runs before you get out on the road.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2677 on: March 02, 2015, 06:37:59 AM »
Going on tour in a week.  Instead of spending my entire per diem, I'm planning on bringing food.  So I bought a tiny rice cooker

This is clever. I admire you. One word of warning: those tiny rice cookers are more temperamental than the big ones, and it's easy for stuff to stick to the bottom and scorch. You probably wanna do a bunch of practice runs before you get out on the road.
Good point.  I had to check the cooker and stop it manually when the rice was done.  Otherwise it would scorch.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2678 on: March 02, 2015, 06:55:50 AM »
My bank notified me that they are increasing fees on my credit card for international transactions. Since I'm headed overseas later in the year I took the opportunity today to sign up to a better and completely fee free offer with a different provider.

I haven't signed up to a credit card in well over 10 years and am somewhat surprised it was so easy. 

Once I have the new card approved and in my hand, I'll move a few periodic payments over and then shut down the old one down completely. Good bye $25/year fee. It took all of 5 minutes!

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2679 on: March 02, 2015, 08:39:58 AM »
Cut my hair yesterday.  Brought frozen leftover chili for lunch today.  Admitedly, I was quite un-mustachian this morning by eating out for breakfast.  Now I'm trying to recover.  I had a long, sleepless night with the kids and just couldn't get it together this morning for breakfast. 

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2680 on: March 02, 2015, 08:54:17 AM »

Good point.  I had to check the cooker and stop it manually when the rice was done.  Otherwise it would scorch.

Not to worry.  I got it last week and have done multiple practice runs with it, mostly to tweak recipes so I can be sure I'll WANT to eat the food.  As long as I'm listening for the click, it's perfect!

This morning I experimented with cooking steel cut oats in it.  They turned out perfect, so looks like I'll be making little breakfast baggies as well with oats, dried apples, cinnamon and brown sugar.  I don't think most of these hotels will have free breakfasts, so I'm bringing my own!

Nancy

« Reply #2681 on: March 02, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »
Ate up every single leftover. Made my own hummus with tahini I found in the cabinet- delish.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2682 on: March 02, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
Cleaning up our fridge before I go shopping again. I'm tired of having leftovers all the time and trashing them since no one will eat it after a few days. Hope I can make it till Friday when I do my regular grocery run.

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #2683 on: March 02, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
We have been snowed in 3 days now.  And its looking life it could be more.
The main road is cleared but my 100 ft or so driveway is impassable, a foot
and more of snow.  The old tractor won't start so I can't do anything, we are
looking at a truck with blade or tractor, hubby is gone and this is for the birds.
Used to be neighboring farmers helped each other but its about all corporate farms
here now so nobody around to help
I have ordered some items off the internet but no shopping per se.
I ordered catfood and dogfood, also a few things from No More Racks.

Cooking home cooked meals, I have enough food here to last for months, making
pinto bean soup now.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2684 on: March 03, 2015, 12:16:27 AM »
This week, I learned how to make sourdough bread from a batter you keep in your fridge! Amazing! And my family loves it!

This is the recipe I'm using, and it doubles beautifully too:

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2014/09/18/whole-grain-loaves-without-vital-wheat-gluten-and-highlights-from-the-mill-city-bread-festival

Used up shredded zucchini (in a spaghetti sauce) and raspberries from the deep freeze.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2685 on: March 03, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »
This week, I learned how to make sourdough bread from a batter you keep in your fridge! Amazing! And my family loves it!

This is the recipe I'm using, and it doubles beautifully too:

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2014/09/18/whole-grain-loaves-without-vital-wheat-gluten-and-highlights-from-the-mill-city-bread-festival
I've been trying to get into bread making for a while.  We don't eat bread very often, but I love fresh bread.  I make single serving bread-ish things like naan or soft pretzels, but no loaves.  I'll have to wait for an occasion to try to make a full loaf. 

Today I worked out and showered at the gym and used the toiletries.  I listened to a Planet Money podcast (http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/12/17/371463435/episode-590-the-planet-money-workout) last week about how gym memberships are used to make sure you're not going as much as you think you are, so I've started keeping track of how many times I go to the gym/week. 

Packed breakfast (homemade granola bar), snacks (fruit), and lunch (leftover red curry with vegetables).  I made a cup of tea using tea bags from a coworker (we have a discard area that people leave extra fruit, baked goods, food, tea, etc.).  I filled up my nalgene and have a goal to drink 64 fl oz while at work. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2686 on: March 03, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »
Canceled one monthly subscription and dialed another back to a lower level, saving $14/month.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2687 on: March 03, 2015, 10:33:29 AM »
$150 in gift cards translated into 4 work button down shirts, a dress, skirt, necklace, pretty sleeveless tank, and a pair of skivvies.  :D

Working with Kuerig to send a complimentary replacement part for the hand-me-down machine given to me last year.

Filtered water, lunch and snacks brought from home.

Sunday's 4.94 LB smoked pork loin will turn into burritos and cowboy chili this week.

Made sure I ate the fresh raspberries before they went bad this time.  Grrr.

Paid my vehicle insurance in full for 12 months.  I received an accident free, advanced shopping, multi policy, and paid in full discount (and one other I cannot remember at this time, LOL!).  It's down to 31.42/mo for liability only.  :)

Baked a low carb cake, boiled eggs, processed fresh produce and batch cooked burritos on Sunday.

About to call the office land line carrier for an annual review to look for money savings.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2688 on: March 03, 2015, 11:19:42 AM »

I've been trying to get into bread making for a while.  We don't eat bread very often, but I love fresh bread.  I make single serving bread-ish things like naan or soft pretzels, but no loaves.  I'll have to wait for an occasion to try to make a full loaf. 

4alpacas, This recipe will yield you about 4 smallish, round loaves in 10 days. It has a hard crust and is chewy, much like a sourdough bread.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2689 on: March 03, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »

4alpacas, This recipe will yield you about 4 smallish, round loaves in 10 days. It has a hard crust and is chewy, much like a sourdough bread.
Does the bread freeze well? 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2690 on: March 03, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »

Does the bread freeze well? 

Sorry, I haven't tried :-/

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2691 on: March 03, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »
I freeze my homemade bread all the time, it generally stays in the freezer for several days to a week, and comes out very close to as fresh tasting as it went it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2692 on: March 03, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
I freeze my homemade bread all the time, it generally stays in the freezer for several days to a week, and comes out very close to as fresh tasting as it went it.
Thanks!  I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll try to make a batch next weekend. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2693 on: March 03, 2015, 02:33:06 PM »
My teenaged boys like to take Gatorade with them to floor hockey and karate class, but I don't buy it for them because its too pricey. Sometimes they buy their own.

Today my very clever 14 year old googled "homemade gatorade" and we chose this one because it is made with stevia or honey instead of sugar. Its a reasonable facsimile for store bought gatorade, and they are both very happy with the taste. One of them added a smidge more lemon and lime juice to suit his tastes. Maybe I'm a day late and a dollar short with figuring this out, but is was a small victory for our household today! And I LOVE that my 14 year old son is thinking this way already!

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2013/09/27/homemade-electrolyte-sports-drink-honey-stevia-sweetened/

Rosewhipped

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2694 on: March 03, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
Years ago I packed a smaller rice cooker to take with me for my study abroad in Tokyo.  We made many delicious meals in our little apartment.  Great idea to bring up, 10dollarsatatime!

Yesterday I cut my hair (first time) and trimmed my bangs.  Woman at work said my hair looks great, so this will work for me!

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #2695 on: March 03, 2015, 04:35:23 PM »
MIL had surgery last week.  Was going to send flowers or chocolates.  In talking with her, scents are giving her headaches and she doesn't have much of an appetite.  So the boys and I are going to make her homemade get-well cards and mail them.  In retrospect, she will love this best of all so not sure why I didn't think about it first. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2696 on: March 03, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »
MIL had surgery last week.  Was going to send flowers or chocolates.  In talking with her, scents are giving her headaches and she doesn't have much of an appetite.  So the boys and I are going to make her homemade get-well cards and mail them.  In retrospect, she will love this best of all so not sure why I didn't think about it first.

Patterns can be hard to break. Good on you for finding a win-win solution for everyone! She gets extra love, you keep your money!

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #2697 on: March 03, 2015, 05:54:42 PM »
I saved money today by driving directly home from work before the ice started to make the commute treacherous, and then proceeded to eat doctored-up leftovers. 

goober

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2698 on: March 04, 2015, 07:51:01 AM »
My next graduate school class starts Monday, and the textbook is listed to the tune of $215 dollars, with used being $175. Spent a lot of time shopping around, and a classmate discovered an e-book rental for the book for only $24! It's almost one tenth of the cost, and I don't have to worry about selling back to anyone!

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2699 on: March 04, 2015, 11:00:15 AM »
My next graduate school class starts Monday, and the textbook is listed to the tune of $215 dollars, with used being $175. Spent a lot of time shopping around, and a classmate discovered an e-book rental for the book for only $24! It's almost one tenth of the cost, and I don't have to worry about selling back to anyone!

I hope your professor(s) lets you know these are available too. I'm always astounded by my evals when students complain that I don't order enough books in the bookstore. No, I don't; I know (and I tell you before class starts) that you can get the required texts off Amazon or eBay for a fraction of the price, even with shipping. Is the "ease" of hitting up the bookstore worth the 200% mark up? (I do order some texts for the bookstore, because there are students on scholarships that get their books covered; however, those students are rare).

-Walked to the vet instead of grabbing a car (it's a lengthy walk for the pup, who also gets anxious on long walks).
-Ate leftovers for lunch and cooking simple pasta for dinner.
-Signed up for an Amazon credit card (been meaning to do this for a while); got $70 in credit, which will cover this month's Subscribe and Save and half of our Prime membership renewal.
-*from yesterday* Made homemade doggie Kong treats with some extra plain yogurt and a spare sweet potato.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!