Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020880 times)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2050 on: January 05, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
Cooked all the meals for this week so there's 0% chance of take-out. 7 dinners + extra for lunches.
Nice!

I made my breakfast smoothies for the week (6 total).  I brought my lunch (leftovers from the bottom of our freezer).

It took about 3 hours to cook and 1 more to clean. Less time than cooking 7 dinners on their own. Meals were more rounded too. 2x salmon salad and miso soup. A large vegetable (not vegetarian) shepherd's pie. Whiting and rice. Roasted garlic, broccoli, and cauliflower. Chicken noodle soup in the crock pot (will be done tonight). Total cost somewhere in the $40-$50 ball park.
Sounds awesome!  I'm a huge fan of batch cooking...but I'm working on eating down our freezer stockpile right now.

What recipe did you use for the chicken noodle soup?

What is this 'recipe' you speak of? Haha. I just stuck some defatted chicken and veggies with water into a crock pot. I'll need to add some salt and noodles and seasonings tonight. Need to debone and cut the chicken too. To be honest I use recipes as guidelines for how that kind of food is made and then do what I like with it. If I know how to make something in general, I don't use a recipe. I just go with it. So I'm sorry if I don't have a recipe for it!
I'm still in the read and follow the directions mode for cooking.  I will use less meat than a recipe calls for, but I need help with "flavor profiles" and ingredients.  I tried to make a chicken noodle soup without a recipe, and I ended up with salty water with a little chicken and limp egg noodles.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2051 on: January 06, 2015, 08:30:18 AM »
Made chilli in the slowcooker w/ meat that I have in the freezer (I am working to eat down the stuff in the pantry and freezer).

Carried lunch to work

Set my credit cards on autopayment and set-up for snowball. Adjusted payments to mortagage, credit cards, car insurance, and college savings with 2015 goals in mind.

Started a spreadsheet and Mint to track expenses.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #2052 on: January 06, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »
Waiting for the train, I sometimes go into Dunkin Donuts to keep warm until the train arrives. Usually, I purchase a beverage out of courteous (coffee-based rent.) Yesterday was my first time taking the train in a while, and I stepped into that same Dunkin Donuts and looked at the menu.

The cheapest drink on the menu was $1.80.... (small coffee, would cost me ~ $.04 at home.)

I realized at that moment that I wasn't there to get coffee, I was there to pay "rent." So I purchased the cheapest item on the menu instead, a $0.86 snack and chatted with the bored cashier until my train arrived. (Luckily the store was pretty empty, so it didn't bother them that I didn't buy much.)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2053 on: January 06, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »
Upped 401k to 22%. Set it to Single 3 for federal, Single 2 for state (based on tax projections). Aiming to not pay any tax next year nor receive any back. Validates the savings rate of about 45% and potentially more, depending on SO's working situation this year.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2054 on: January 06, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »
Carpooled to work.

Figured out to juice a lemon with a fork http://allrecipes.com/video/521/how-to-juice-a-lemon/detail.aspx after the GoblinChief's brilliant idea to freeze the juice of our overproducing lemon tree. 

Packed leftovers from our freezer for lunch.  Breakfast smoothie and snacks packed for work.  No vending machine snacks for me. 

Used a hot water bottle to heat up our bed last night instead of using the heat.  The bed was warm when we got in. 

JetsettingWelfareMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2055 on: January 06, 2015, 11:04:46 AM »
My sister in law bought me a soap making kit for Christmas...there's always scum left in the bottom when I finish pouring into the mold. So now I mix the excess with water, microwave it, and then make a cleaning solution out of that. Works great on the stove!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2056 on: January 06, 2015, 09:31:54 PM »
Discovered that my freezer was empty enough that the rest of the meat will fit with everything else in the freezer above the fridge. Moved it all and unplugged now empty freezer.

Also, sort of applicable, it snowed a LOT today and traffic was horrible. It took an hour to get home by bus instead of the usual 15 minutes. But I didn't care because I spent the whole time relaxed and catching up on reading. Sure glad I wasn't driving!

cheapbutchic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2057 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20:39 AM »
4 Alpacas - you can freeze your lemons whole and zest them right out of the freezer into salads, veggies, sandwiches, soups, baked goods, drinks, etc.  Turns out there is more vitamin C in the peel than in the juice plus loads of antioxidants. 

prudence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2058 on: January 07, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »
Free breakfast and lunch today at work. Saving my bagged lunch to eat for dinner. win, win, win

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2059 on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:16 PM »
I was in a need-a-treat mood driving home today, and I thought about stopping by a Starbucks and using my Christmas gift card. But instead, I'm saving the Starbucks card for sometime when I end up there with friends, and I'm having coffee and leftover Christmas cookies at home.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2060 on: January 07, 2015, 12:52:42 PM »
Illinois state income tax went down for 2015, so my savings rate goes up by 1.5%!

Plus a typical public transportation to work, leftovers for lunch, buy-nothing kind of day.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2061 on: January 07, 2015, 02:31:27 PM »
The Shop-Vac on/off switch stopped working, so I looked online for a replacement. There was none, so I sent an email to Shop-Vac asking for the part number and price for a replacement switch. Just got their response...a new switch is in the mail to me as of today. Shop-Vac seems to stand behind their products!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2062 on: January 07, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
Moved around laundry I hung yesterday so the last little ends will dry today. Might wash a new load tonight if my racks are cleared.

Drinking pot of tea all day, just keep reheating my mug in the microwave for a few seconds. Measured my loose tea for the first time -- used 50-60% less than usual! (hat tip to The Goblin Chief)

Remembered non-perishable food left in the back of the van from the week after Christmas (sometimes insomnia can be productive)

Unplugging devices after they finish charging. Swollen macbook pro battery repair costs taught me this hard lesson.

No shopping today. Its always a win when I stay out of stores.

Soup from homemade chicken stock for dinner- planning homemade buns to go with the soup (maybe posting it here will motivate me to git 'er done!)

Folding up washed blankets that we dried around the house on couches, doors etc gave me great pleasure today, knowing what I didn't spend on running the dryer for hours on end. 

Trying to figure out YNAB.

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2063 on: January 07, 2015, 03:34:17 PM »
The Shop-Vac on/off switch stopped working, so I looked online for a replacement. There was none, so I sent an email to Shop-Vac asking for the part number and price for a replacement switch. Just got their response...a new switch is in the mail to me as of today. Shop-Vac seems to stand behind their products!

Nice. It's great to find companies that do that!

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2064 on: January 07, 2015, 04:33:40 PM »
Signed up for both of my employers corporate perks websites where they have discounts on restaurants.com, appliances, travel etc. We spent $20 for 7 gift certificates for places we like to frequent. Not huge savings, but we are trying to eat out less, so if we go out, we are trying to go to these places.

Ex... Spent as much as $4 for 50% off... $25 off if you spent $50. $1.20 for $10 off $20.

Or... $50 - (4+25) = 21/50 = 42% savings for date night. :D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:35:55 PM by zdravé »

thrifted

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2065 on: January 07, 2015, 05:05:57 PM »
i brought breakfast and lunch to work, borrowed a book from the library, and walked instead of taking a taxi or train. i also increased my retirement contributions!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2066 on: January 07, 2015, 11:08:51 PM »
Walked down to the shops to get a few things, and stopped by the library to pick up some magazines to read at bedtime.

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2067 on: January 08, 2015, 10:50:25 AM »
Called Chase to cancel Slate card (no rewards) they offered to switch it to a Freedom card that gives 5% back each quarter for different categories. Discover does this, and is doing 5% for gas in the first quarter, Freedom will do 5% for gas during the summer. Which beats the Amex Blue Cash for 3% all year. Rep also gave me $25 statement credit which has been 0 for years as well. 5 minute call for about $21 (difference of 3 and 5%)  in cash back this summer and $25 bucks.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2068 on: January 08, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
Carpooled.

Selected recipes for this weekend:  I'm going to try making chicken soup (thanks, 1967mama) and salad dressing (http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/11-easy-and-healthy-mason-jar-salad-dressing-recipes.html).  Also on the menu: red curry, smoothies (make them for the week), and potatoes (mashed and roasted). 

Brewed tea at home.

Found an inexpensive place to order our dog's food online. 

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #2069 on: January 08, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »
Took the bus to work even though I'd missed the earlier bus - I usually like to take the second to last bus in case of problems as they only run every 30 minutes, but I still got to work just in time.

Eating the last leftovers of a pumpkin pie for breakfast I made for New Years that had been in the fridge. It was still perfectly fine, even though I'm usually a bit squeamish about eating leftovers past the four day mark, but I figured a pie bought from the grocery store would probably have been just as old. Earlier in the week, I ate a cup of spinach and Indian cheese curry for lunch that I had made about 10 days prior. That was fine, too, in fact it tasted great. I have a bit more mental leeway with foods that don't have meat, broth or eggs in them.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #2070 on: January 08, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »
Love this thread! Eating out is one of the categories where hubby and I can find the most savings, so we're really focusing on cutting back this year. Today I packed my breakfast (oatmeal, frozen strawberries and walnuts from Costco), lunch (leftover turkey pot pie from last night's dinner) and coffee and took it with me to work. I took leftover TG turkey out of the freezer to thaw for dinner (tonight is turkey chili night). We haven't eaten out once yet this year and we're on track to continue this today.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2071 on: January 09, 2015, 03:02:04 AM »
4 Alpacas - you can freeze your lemons whole and zest them right out of the freezer into salads, veggies, sandwiches, soups, baked goods, drinks, etc.  Turns out there is more vitamin C in the peel than in the juice plus loads of antioxidants.
Awesome!  I'm new to the fruit tree game, so I have no idea what to do with our massive crop.
Excellent. I'm going to try that freezer thing next time I buy lemons - they seem to go off so quickly in my house for some reason and it's nice to have a few on hand. Especially in winter. I do love hot lemon and ginger drinks.

If you don't already have a recipe for lemon coridal, there's one on the down-to-earth blog.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #2072 on: January 09, 2015, 04:21:13 AM »
I've got a nice Casio watch (cost $90ish) and the battery died.  It is one of those that the back screws on with special tools.  So I could have paid almost the cost of the watch for a battery change at a local place, instead, I ordered a $15 watch repair kit off amazon and bought the battery.  Less than $20 and I'm back in business.  Done paying for someone else to change the battery too.

Here's the kit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063IUPX0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

catpartm3nt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2073 on: January 09, 2015, 05:58:23 AM »
Well the folding drying rack I ordered off of Amazon (already cheap but with discounts/credit and free shipping applied it was even cheaper) arrived, so I'm all set with my mini-goal of not paying to dry any laundry this year--coin laundry in an apartment complex adds up.

Also resisted the urge to buy a new bag of coffee beans when we ran out, knowing my SO would soon remember to bring some home (he gets free packets of pretty decent coffee from work).

I am also planning a delicious, fancy, cheap homemade brunch for a friend this weekend instead of going out.

Nothing major, but I am very focused on building/optimizing good habits right now.

newideas2013

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2074 on: January 09, 2015, 06:20:30 AM »
My big goal this year is tracking groceries, preparing meals, packing lunches and learning YNAB which I scored for 15 bucks in December. Today I brought another packed lunch with coffee from home. I downloaded an app called Flipp which shows the grocery flyers in a region, nicely picks up all the ones around me. Searchable, so for example searching "potatoes" shows all the stores that have it on sale. Can save sales and use it for your shopping list and I hope showing the Walmart cashiers different store specials at competitors will be "good enough" for mass price matching as I don't get the traditional flyers delivered to our place. Plus having all the specials saved to your list in the app is faster then locating each page in flyers.

Cooking at home, using less meat, cooking on hand and price matching groceries I hope to see huge savings this year and grow my stache

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2075 on: January 09, 2015, 07:12:42 AM »
My husband used his "points" at the gym to get a 10-visit punch card for me.

We realized that he can earn enough points to do that, rather than have memberships for both of us and use the points for things like t-shirts and smoothies.  I used to go to the gym 3-times a week, but I really like working out at home, so now I just go once a week.

mleigh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2076 on: January 09, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »
I've been lurking for a while.  A few things I've done in the past week:
---had a friend replace the broken light switch in my basement rather than an electrician.  Had to wait until he was available, but it cost me ~$5 for the switch (after a coupon!) vs. ~$85 for an electrician to do it.  I helped him out with his resume to return the favor.
---took my (inherited) coins to a coin shop for money.  It was only worth about $17, but well worth the 5 minutes it took me, and some bonus de-cluttering!
---bought a giant container of popcorn kernels to be air popped for $6 instead of microwave bags. 

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2077 on: January 09, 2015, 01:04:38 PM »
Sewed a snap on a throw blanket.  Now I realize that doesn't sound very MMM.  However the blanket may be worn.  The top part goes over each shoulder (think batman cape, except mine zips) and basically has sleeves.  Then the bottom zips all the way from the bottom to about 2/3s of the way up the blanket.  Then you snap the top to the bottom, and it's a blanket wrap.  How is this MMM?  Well I'm still holding out on turning on the heater.  Had a bit of a heat wave so the house is up to 55.  It was down to 47 at one point this season.

Although I do confess I had to turn on the heater 1 day for a over night house guest who was only wearing a thin short sleeved cotton top and cardigan. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:38:55 PM by be »

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2078 on: January 09, 2015, 01:16:50 PM »
Walked over to the doc's office instead of driving.

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2079 on: January 09, 2015, 01:41:09 PM »
2ndTimer,

You also get the benefit of telling the dr you got some additional cardio in on the way to the appt!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2080 on: January 09, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
2ndTimer,

You also get the benefit of telling the dr you got some additional cardio in on the way to the appt!

He's an oral surgeon.  Doesn't care about anything that happens below the collar bones.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2081 on: January 09, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
Mobilized the village through the local swap site and retrieved two pairs of gloves I'd lost on the road. Saved twenty bucks and connected with my neighborhood :-)

BMEPhDinCO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2082 on: January 09, 2015, 02:34:52 PM »
1. Made chai tea at home and added my own milk
2. Made breakfast at home, even if it was small
3. Cobbled together a lunch from home rather than buying it (I usually do this, but still taking the credit!)
4. Took the bus instead of driving
5. Using a coupon to get our beer out tonight instead of paying full price ;-)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2083 on: January 09, 2015, 02:36:13 PM »
Having an "eat what is in the house week" this week.  We are completely out of fresh veg and flour and sugar, though (sugar needed for the kombucha, otherwise we wouldn't bother), so DH and the kids are doing the shopping right now, to a very tight list.

So far he's texted me that they've spent $51, spread between the bulk dry goods shop and the vegge shop.  Which is pretty awesome for NZ, where $250 is considered to be frugal for a week's groceries for a family.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2084 on: January 09, 2015, 03:15:57 PM »
Today I called Verizon to see if I can lower my bill. After a little bit of talking I was able to reduce my bill by 21 a month.  Also, this gave me unlimited talk and text which I didn't have.  Reduced my data to 1g but that is okay, I really don't need that much.  I had to extend my contract for a yr but I don't mind that. I couldn't use my employee discount though, bummer.  But cheaper than what I was paying and gained more in services.  Win win.

I knew about the loyalty plan from these boards so thank you all so much for sharing.  I don't know who originally posted it but thank you.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2085 on: January 10, 2015, 10:16:34 AM »
Used the vouchers I got for Christmas from work to buy two turkeys and two hams for about $12 total.  Have canned so far: 27 half pints of turkey, 16 quarts of turkey broth, 21 pints of ham and bean soup.

I still have: enough turkey for at least a dozen pints of turkey vegetable soup, a ham and a half (I don't know yet what to do with them), ham bones for broth.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to run out of jars before I run out of food to put in them. :)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2086 on: January 10, 2015, 11:40:46 AM »
Not specifically TODAY, but this WEEK:

Sorted and went through 11k MTG cards for buylisting and bulk. Total: ~$250.

Marianne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2087 on: January 10, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »
Wanted to buy a device to track the energy usage/costs, it costs approx. 20€, made some research and found out that it is possible to borrow it from the city for free for 14 days. It is enough to get an idea how much energy our devices and tools consume. 20€ saved!:-)

Fatmouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2088 on: January 10, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »
Adjusted my car insurance by raising the deductible from $500 to $1000. My husband and I would prefer to avoid filing a claim for less than $1000 anyway, since we would lose a significant break for our clean record with no claims for the past five years.  Savings = $10/ month, but little savings add up!

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #2089 on: January 10, 2015, 03:32:17 PM »
Had my 2. date with a woman this evening in a very cheap thai self-service food-court-style restaurant.

I'm 28 and live in a big fancy city where most young people gladly spend $200 on a romantic dinner. Dating for the last few years I've always felt that I compromised my values somewhat, eating at a bit nicer places etc. that I would have chosen if I were on my own. This time I've decided to go hardcore mustachian from the beginning, might as well weed out the ones who're not sharing my values from the beginning. Turns out she really enjoyed the evening.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2090 on: January 10, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
Made a nice crockpot dinner -- always find the temptation to order in is greatest on the weekends when 1967papa is home and we are having a nice relaxing day.

Made tapioca pudding from scratch. So easy, its ridiculous! Feel armed with great new knowledge for feeding kids during the week!

"The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dustbowl" FINALLY arrived at the library after requesting it about 2 months ago, based on a recommendation here on the forum! So many good books recommended here. I also have "All Your Worth," "Zero Waste Home," "Enough," "Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer," "Your Farm in the City: An Urban Dweller's Guid to Growing Food and Raising Animals," and "My Empire of Dirt: How One Man Turned His Big-city Backyard Into A Farm." -- so many books, so little time <sigh> I should post this to Mustachian People Problems! haha

Delicious mug of hot chocolate with mini-marshmallows .. a total indulgence but tasted 10x better than Starbucks and cost me pennies and I sat by my fire reading my new book.

Turned the heat off in the daytime. Turning lights off constantly.

Kstar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2091 on: January 10, 2015, 06:18:02 PM »
My apartment is like a sieve so it gets cold pretty easily (even though we live in a fairly mild climate, by Canadian standards anyway) so I am constantly trying to keep the heat down without making things properly uncomfortable.  Anyway, today I am working on wearing enough clothes and dialing down the thermostat. 

I am also (finally) back in to menu planning.  I have proposed to Mr. KStar that we get on a 15 menu cycle (3 new meals a week with the remaining nights being filled by leftovers) to keep things simple (but not too repetitive), cost effective, and easy to do by having the right ingredients in the house.   Today I prepared for week two by sharing the recipes with the Mr. (who does most of the cooking these days) and getting the ingredients we need.  Eating out is one of the most common/easy slip-ups for us (financially speaking) and it is So. Expensive. compared to cooking at home.   I would recommend www.budgetbytes.com to anyone interested in cost effective cooking. I have no affiliation with the site, it's just a great resource and the recipes have been delicious so far!

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2092 on: January 10, 2015, 08:27:26 PM »
Might be a duplicate of earlier poster's idea, but i sealed around windows with sections of white nylon rope cut to fit (scotch tape the ends to prevent fraying and it's almost invisible unless you look straight at it) between lower window frame and inside moulding.   This costs about 1.50 per window for a 5/8" single core rope vs almost $9 a window for the weather stripping at Home Depot or Lowe's.    This cut the drafts dramatically in our den and exterior walls of the bathrooms especially!

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2093 on: January 10, 2015, 11:24:01 PM »
Made 4 jars of "preserving jar tomato soup" from a bulk purchase of tomatoes that were just about to go off.  These can store in the pantry, freeing up space in the freezer, which is where I'd normally put soup.  Although, one failed to seal, so I'll probably tip it into a freezer bag and freeze that one.

Inventoried the freezer in preparation for easy meal-planning for when baby arrives, and to help with planning freezer-meals. (it's a chest freezer - things tend to get lost in the bottom half).  Typed up the list so we can cross items off as they are used.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2094 on: January 11, 2015, 10:41:11 AM »
It's cold and rainy the past couple of days, so, because I can't sit still, I went down to the thrift store and bought miscellaneous bundles of yarn.  So far I have learned three simple stitches in crochet and hope to finish a Granny Square soon.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2095 on: January 11, 2015, 11:24:03 AM »
I'm making chicken noodle soup (thanks for all of the help, 1967mama), a large batch of rice, and more lemonade.  I plan on making mashed potatoes, fried rice and red curry with vegetables later today. 

We're also sitting under a few blankets instead of turning the heat on.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #2096 on: January 11, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »
Made my first batch of crockpot chicken stock using 100% veggie scraps and leftover chicken bones.  It was awesome! 

Locked in TWC internet for another year at $35/mo.  Beats the $55/mo regular price.

Marianne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2097 on: January 11, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »
cooked for the next 3 days
ate leftovers
washed our clothes "cold", the result ist absolutely ok, no difference to 30 or 40 degrees
made a spread sheet to compare prices in 4 stores of groceries I always buy... will start to fill it in tomorrow

Runny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2098 on: January 11, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »
Sold the skis that I found near the garbage in our building for $40!! Very happy.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2099 on: January 11, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »
Found an alternate way home that takes about the same amount of time and distance but doesn't involve paying tolls.