Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020841 times)

TrMama

Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3700 on: July 03, 2015, 12:26:49 PM »
This week:

* Bought a produce box from the discount community program
* Trimmed and washed the produce so we can eat it all (including carrot and radish tops)
* Successfully fought to not be charged a surprise $10 cancellation fee for the camp I'd signed my kids up for (Grandma offered to watch them instead)
* Finished prepping the deck to be repainted. I'll use 3 half gallons of paint I found in the garage from the last time.
* Biked to work
* brought leftovers for lunch
* Continuing to fight the urge to have a heat pump installed in the house simply so we can use the cooling function this summer.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3701 on: July 03, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
Avoided getting an iced latte when it seemed like people had them, tempting me everywhere I went on my grocery journey today.

Bought broccoli for 99 cents/lb instead of asparagus for $2.99/lb

Used my double fuel points coupon and cash back credit card.

Bought salad, peppers and mushrooms at CostCo instead of regular grocery store

Got a half gallon of local whole milk for $2.  Trying to decide between making more yogurt or trying my hand at cheese (not sure I have all I need for cheese though)

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #3702 on: July 03, 2015, 01:08:51 PM »

Got a half gallon of local whole milk for $2.  Trying to decide between making more yogurt or trying my hand at cheese (not sure I have all I need for cheese though)

Try ricotta:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-ricotta-cheese-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-23326

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #3703 on: July 03, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »
Vacationing on Kauai, made breakfast in our condo. Eggs and fresh local fruit from a farmers market. Will be BBQing marinated chicken for dinner.

Used B of A Alaska air CC for the companion fare to fly to Kauai. $650 for two of us, rental car through costco $299 for 13 days. Great deal on condo from private owner we have used in the past.

Aloha

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3704 on: July 03, 2015, 03:24:32 PM »

Try ricotta:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-ricotta-cheese-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-23326

Thanks, just did this.  Easy!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3705 on: July 03, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »

Also . . . just posting here.  Keeps me focused and on track.  When I am active here, it really does save me $$ overall. 

So true for me, also. When I'm not posting here regularly, that's a red flag for me!

And me. My goal is to have something to post in this thread each day. Helps keep me focused on the little things while we're in a stage where we don't have opportunities for big wins (in a good way - we've cut back and negotiated down all our regular payments, and we are very content with our frugal lifestyle).

Yay!  Thanks for understanding, you guys!  For awhile I struggled with posting because I felt I was always saying the same thing and not being interesting - lol.  Glad to hear I am not alone in using this forum as motivation! 

Today's wins:
*  day off from work, so went nowhere/no money spent
*  preserved avocados for the freezer (yes, avocados are spendy, but i love them)
*  lentils cooking in the crockpot
*  talked to neighbor about his new (used) car (which let me know about additional options - I am not ready to buy a car yet, but probably will be next Spring.)

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3706 on: July 03, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »
I'd like to hear more about this:
*  preserved avocados for the freezer
I am following the instructions here:  http://eatingrichly.com/how-to-preserve-avocados-in-the-freezer/

The only difference is that I am using lime juice instead of lemon.  This is the first time I have ever done it so cannot personally speak to results yet . . . . but several Google searches have convinced me that it will be at least usable on sandwiches, etc.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3707 on: July 04, 2015, 05:07:09 PM »
It looks like avocado puree is your best bet for freezing.  http://www.avocadocentral.com/how-to/how-to-store-how-to-ripen-avocados

How to Freeze Avocados
Did you know avocados can be frozen?
How to Freeze Avocados Though Fresh Hass Avocados are preferred for their taste and versatility, with the proper preparation, pureed avocados can be frozen and used in guacamole dips, dressings and spread on sandwiches.

Whole, cut, diced or mashed avocados do not have as desirable of a result when frozen. Guacamole can often contain other ingredients that do not freeze well so we do not recommend freezing guacamole.

Follow the instructions below to get the best possible result when freezing pureed Hass Avocados.

How to Freeze Avocados 1.   Wash - Wash the outside of the avocados thoroughly by holding them under running water or in your selected produce wash.
Find more avocado washing and preparation tips.

2.   Cut - Cut and peel the avocados.

3.   Puree - Place the peeled avocados in a food processor or blender. Add a ratio of one tablespoon of an acidic agent like lemon or lime juice for each avocado you are freezing. Puree until smooth. This will ensure that the lemon or lime juice is evenly distributed to help to prevent the avocados from turning brown. Mashing the avocado rather than pureeing yields a less desirable result because the acidic agent is unevenly mixed in.

4.   Package - Place the pureed avocado into an air-tight container. Leave ½ to 1 inch of headspace in the container to allow for expansion. Close your container tightly and label accordingly. Freeze.

Frozen avocado puree must be used within four to five months of freezing.

I've been working on the garden today.  Accidentally harvested a red cabbage, which will be dinner in a day or two.  Harvested kale and 3 colors of new potatoes, plus parsley and a red onion.  These will be getting turned into a nice kale salad and potato salad in the next hour or so.  Made to-die-for hummus from homemade tahini, dried chickpeas, and added juice from a lemon I'd frozen a while back, pesto and preserved eggplant both from last year's garden, and garlic just tugged out of the earth on Wednesday.

Picked a small baggie of raspberries as an offering to my co-worker who has agreed to start giving me her $10 off of $50 feed store coupon that's been in with the Val-Pak coupons every month.

I just got a used camper shell for my truck, but don't want it on the truck all the time, so need to make a bed level rack I can slide it off the truck onto.  Devised a plan to build this with old horse supplement buckets, a spare sack of concrete, and scrap 4x4's from our old backyard fence.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3708 on: July 05, 2015, 01:50:16 AM »
Cut my hair. I do it every 6 months or so, or whenever my hair starts to annoy me. Just did a short bob. Got DH to check for any bits I missed (there's always a few). I'm pretty happy with it. My new haircut achieved my goal of shorter hair and looks respectable enough for work.

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3709 on: July 05, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »
Went to Target and ONLY bought the things on my list. It's been a long time since I've done that.

Whoop! Congratulations.  I can relate- Target has been a big money sink for us. But putting off trips as long as possible and (like you!) sticking to the list has helped.  Keep it up!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3710 on: July 05, 2015, 06:53:43 PM »
My mum mentioned on the phone that some boots I had bought for my nephew had perished after just a couple of months.

I got her to text me photos of them and I emailed them to Target. Had a full refund within half an hour.

Mum was (pleasantly) surprised, said she wouldn't have thought to do that, but my new policy is that it can't hurt to ask. :)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3711 on: July 05, 2015, 08:11:52 PM »
This is more a brag on my super generous neighbors.  They are a sweet retired couple with a huge garden.  They are always leaving vegetables on my doorstep and just being neighborly. With their gifts and with my little bucket garden I haven't bought vegetables siince April.  I've only been in this house since fall.  I am renting from friends of mine and responsible for mowing the yard.  I keep coming home from work and finding it already mowed.  I was frustrated at first. The neighbor man mows twice as often as I would! His wife assures me that he doesn't mind at all.  He has a rider mower and does their yard, their son's, another neighbor and "it's just no trouble for him to get your little yard!"  I am a little uncomfortable with this, but have given up.  Maybe I'll get to it before he does next time.  In the meantime I made a small quilt as a thank you gift for them.  I took it over and we sat on the porch and visited this evening. I haven't asked for this, and wouldn't have paid someone to do it, but I did want to give them back something with a little value.  The quilt was simple and all out of supplies I had on hand.

I told them tonight that I'm moving away in a few weeks.  She said "Oh but you are such a good neighbbor!"  He said "You'll miss the pumpkins! I planted lots of pumpkins, but maybe the grapes will be in..."

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3712 on: July 05, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
I told them tonight that I'm moving away in a few weeks.  She said "Oh but you are such a good neighbbor!"  He said "You'll miss the pumpkins! I planted lots of pumpkins, but maybe the grapes will be in..."

Bless!

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #3713 on: July 05, 2015, 08:55:09 PM »
I cut my own toenails. 

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3714 on: July 05, 2015, 09:48:10 PM »
* Picked up $0.13 I found on the ground.

* Prepared and packed food for our plane trip tomorrow, including homemade "lunchables" snack boxes. Packed empty reusable water bottles and thermos to prevent buying bottled water and single-use coffee cups while traveling.

* Ate about five sauteed zucchini squash from the garden.

* A friend will be housesitting for us for free while we are gone. She's going to watch the chickens and fish for us in exchange for getting the house to herself as a nice break from the apartment couch where she's been crashing for a couple of months.

* Returned a pair of shoes that were nice but which felt too spendy after the fact. $70 back in bank account.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3715 on: July 05, 2015, 10:43:31 PM »
*Made a big batch of Pioneer Woman's Chicken Spaghetti for the family tonight, even though I'm quite uncomfortable and am having surgery this week.

*Hung a small load of laundry on the drying rack

*We are eating like Kings -- my son has taught himself to make sushi this summer (California Rolls) -- we are enjoying the fruits of his labours!

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #3716 on: July 05, 2015, 11:11:40 PM »
Put new book I really want to read on hold at library instead of amazon'ing it. Picked a bucket full of blueberries and blackberries. Began work on a solar cooker made from cardboard boxes and other crap I have laying around.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3717 on: July 06, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »
I got my boyfriend to cut my hair. He didn't want to do it because he was nervous he would screw it up. I didn't care if it wasn't perfect. He quickly took over once I started hacking at it myself, thinking he could do a better job at it than I would. It turned out absolutely GREAT. First time using new scissors and thinning shears I'd bought with an amazon gift card. Feels so light and out of my face. :D

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3718 on: July 06, 2015, 09:57:05 AM »
Using up the meat that has been in the freezer a while.  Currently baking sausage corn meal muffins.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3719 on: July 06, 2015, 10:19:21 AM »
Put new book I really want to read on hold at library instead of amazon'ing it. Picked a bucket full of blueberries and blackberries. Began work on a solar cooker made from cardboard boxes and other crap I have laying around.
Let us know how the solar cooker goes!  I've tried with little success, so I'm open to how you succeed.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #3720 on: July 06, 2015, 11:03:40 AM »
Let us know how the solar cooker goes!  I've tried with little success, so I'm open to how you succeed.
Thanks, I will. I told my son I was making an oven out of cardboard and he immediately absconded with half my boxes and started drawing burners and oven knobs on them with sharpie. So progress was paused while playtime happened. :) But I'm going to do more research on angles and stuff. If I can make solar cooking work even a little bit in Seattle, I'll be really happy. :)

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #3721 on: July 06, 2015, 11:50:57 AM »
Thanks, I will. I told my son I was making an oven out of cardboard and he immediately absconded with half my boxes and started drawing burners and oven knobs on them with sharpie. So progress was paused while playtime happened. :) But I'm going to do more research on angles and stuff. If I can make solar cooking work even a little bit in Seattle, I'll be really happy. :)

This will help you get started - Solar Cookers - How to make, use and enjoy, 10th edition

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3722 on: July 06, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »
Carpooled to work.
Packed lunch, breakfast and snacks.
Brought a water bottle to fill up at work
Free tennis lessons at lunch (from a coworker)

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3723 on: July 06, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »
Yesterday I really wanted donuts, but made some instead (ok, they were more like donut muffins, but they scratched the itch).

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3724 on: July 06, 2015, 12:10:50 PM »
Yesterday I really wanted donuts, but made some instead (ok, they were more like donut muffins, but they scratched the itch).
How did the doughnut muffins turn out? 

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3725 on: July 06, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »
Pretty good! I dipped half in cinnamon/sugar and sprinkled half with powdered sugar - cinnamon was a clear winner. Made them in mini-muffin tins, which probably made it far too easy to eat the entire batch in a day (with friends!!). http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/baked-cake-doughnuts-51157010

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3726 on: July 06, 2015, 01:18:41 PM »
Pretty good! I dipped half in cinnamon/sugar and sprinkled half with powdered sugar - cinnamon was a clear winner. Made them in mini-muffin tins, which probably made it far too easy to eat the entire batch in a day (with friends!!). http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/baked-cake-doughnuts-51157010
Nice!  I'll have to consider making doughnut muffins the next time I have friends over for brunch. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3727 on: July 06, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »
My husband tried his hand at making a new dessert last night that only called for egg yolks, so I asked him to save the whites. Added a couple of whole eggs to make scrambled eggs for breakfast this morning.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3728 on: July 06, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »
Hoping posting here will keep me motivated...
*Ate my first zucchini out of the garden!
*Planted some more beans.  Hoping for enough of a harvest this year to can a couple dozen pints.
*Took lunch to work, including some potstickers that have been in the freezer for months and months.
*Made banana bread so as not to waste a couple of sad looking bananas.  Fed most of it to coworkers, but will use the little I have left for french toast in the morning.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #3729 on: July 06, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »
Bought more blueberries to freeze for winter use.
Filled up the grill while cooking supper so now have several more meals prepared that just need heating up in the microwave.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3730 on: July 06, 2015, 08:01:45 PM »
Made ice cream at home instead of buying Hagen Daaz.  Not quite as tasty, but just gives me an excuse to make more and "Perfect" my recipe :D

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #3731 on: July 06, 2015, 10:33:52 PM »
Accidentally harvested a red cabbage, which will be dinner in a day or two.

Ha, I've done that before. "Whoops, that wasn't a weed!" or "Swung a little too hard, there!"

In the meantime, my baggie of museli in the kitchen cupboard at work is saving me a FORTUNE in breakfasts.

Also, the butcher down the road does a wide variety of cut-price meats (goat, lamb neck chops, kangaroo tail) that I'm learning to cook in a variety of ways. When I invite the neighbours around for dinner and board games, we all save!

Eristheunorganized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3732 on: July 06, 2015, 11:43:52 PM »
Hung some laundry out to dry. Spent no money and found a penny on the ground. Saw I had some tortillas that were coming to their sell by date, so I ate burritos for dinner and froze the rest.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3733 on: July 07, 2015, 12:55:23 AM »
*Used up some cheese that was left at a BBQ party we had

*Started a batch of "Artisan Bread in 5"

*Was given a coupon for a free cup of tea

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3734 on: July 07, 2015, 02:08:22 AM »
Submitted my (Aus) tax return, which, will allow me to claim a payoff benefit for some of my school loans, saving me $3k  (HECSHELP benefit).

Is that the five per cent bonus on payments over $500?

I'm hoping to make the most of that and get my husband's paid off (balance should be $6500 after this tax return) before January, in case it ends.

Oops, sorry for late reply. HECSHELP benefit is for Aus graduates in Math/Science/Education/Nursing fields who graduated after 2010 - govt pays part of your HECS debt for 5 years as long as you are working in the field. As a Sci/Ed graduate/working teacher, I can claim payments for Education and Math/Science each year, which equals about $3500. Cause I pay HECS through the year in instalments, they automatically refund you the same amount (so the money I put in goes to paying off HECS, and I get the same back). Its an awesome, totally unadvertised benefit I stumbled upon a few years ago. Its amazing how people are aware of it. Govt is trying to get rid of it (it is bundled with the bill to remove the 5% early payment bonus that was recently defeated in parliament again - yes!), but its still in play for now.  If you know any math/sci/ed/nursing graduates from the past 5 years, they can back claim.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3735 on: July 07, 2015, 02:13:32 AM »
Submitted my (Aus) tax return, which, will allow me to claim a payoff benefit for some of my school loans, saving me $3k  (HECSHELP benefit).

Is that the five per cent bonus on payments over $500?

I'm hoping to make the most of that and get my husband's paid off (balance should be $6500 after this tax return) before January, in case it ends.

Oops, sorry for late reply. HECSHELP benefit is for Aus graduates in Math/Science/Education/Nursing fields who graduated after 2010 - govt pays part of your HECS debt for 5 years as long as you are working in the field. As a Sci/Ed graduate/working teacher, I can claim payments for Education and Math/Science each year, which equals about $3500. Cause I pay HECS through the year in instalments, they automatically refund you the same amount (so the money I put in goes to paying off HECS, and I get the same back). Its an awesome, totally unadvertised benefit I stumbled upon a few years ago. Its amazing how people are aware of it. Govt is trying to get rid of it (it is bundled with the bill to remove the 5% early payment bonus that was recently defeated in parliament again - yes!), but its still in play for now.  If you know any math/sci/ed/nursing graduates from the past 5 years, they can back claim.

I'm a 2007 comms grad so naught from two, but thanks for the info. :) I shall mentally file it away in case I know anyone who could benefit.

PS. Fingers crossed that bill keeps being shot down. It's not a lot but I'm sick of having HECS hanging over my head, and I want the 5 per cent bonus to stick around while I'm paying it down!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3736 on: July 07, 2015, 10:23:12 AM »
Today, I found out that AMEX is now allowing redemption of reward points at a rate of 1:1 so I cashed out 5000 points for a $50 gift card to the Cheesecake Factory.  That adds even more free stuff to the free Vegas vacation I'm taking in three weeks.  So far, the room, flight, all meals, all shows, and all attractions are completely free.  Should be a fun time!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3737 on: July 07, 2015, 12:27:06 PM »
Had my truck filled up with partially composted horse crap this morning.  Getting another load on Thursday and will mix it all in with yard waste to get about 5 yards/$100 worth of finished compost for planting veggies next spring.

Have discovered that chia makes a nice thickener/stretcher for yogurt, so instead of getting Greek yogurt, I'm buying or making regular yogurt, then adding chia, since I got a ton of it on sale at CostCo a while back.  Pretty sure the math works out to make it cheaper per calorie than straight up yogurt and it changes up the texture too.

Followed through with making the truck canopy rack out of scrap lumber that I mentioned up thread.  Did have to buy some concrete, hardware and one 4x4, but it was less than half the cost of just buying all new materials.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3738 on: July 07, 2015, 12:52:52 PM »
Made laundry detergent yesterday, hung up laundry today. Day 5 of drinking only water or tea, so far so good: win for my health and my wallet. Another day of resisting the urge to buy food or groceries, just cooking stuff out of the cupboards. But also biking to work, a no spend day. Well, other than going to the dentist - not free unfortunately, but I'll pay for that later ;)

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3739 on: July 07, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
A couple days ago, I biked to the market and got a giant case of plums for 2 dollars. Between yesterday and today I got them sorted into hand eating quality ones, got the rest pitted, and made most of it into 15  pints of jam to be used to flavor homemade yogurt. I pureed them using a vitamix my husband got for my birthday last month used off craigslist for $60. The pectin and sugar for the jam were free at kmart for biking to kmart, and the canning jars were from classico spaghetti sauce which I got super cheap with coupons a while back. Classico uses real mason jars, and the price for the sauce was less than buying new mason jars.

I made a batch of yogurt last night using free milk I earned from kmart.

The rest of the plums I made into the most amazing sorbet in the world, using a no salt/no electricity donvier ice cream maker I got years ago at a thrift shop for $6.

Between yesterday and today I also picked about a gallon of blackberries in the public park across the street. Nobody else in my area seems to pick berries - the whole park is just for me! We have a fairly large mideastern population, so it's common to see women out picking wild grape leaves but they don't touch the berries.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3740 on: July 07, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »
 - turned a bunch of random leftovers into potato cakes for supper tonight
 - sorted out all my mason jars so I know what I have for canning season, thought I was going to have to buy more...nope just had to unpack them :)
 - Am drafting an email to send out to friends and family giving them the heads-up that we are doing a "Homemade" Christmas for everyone this year and encouraging them to join us. At the very least, it gives everyone the heads up and they can plan/spend accordingly fully knowing our gifts will be homemade.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3741 on: July 07, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »
This one has been a two-week effort:  filled up the gas tank last payday and promised to make it last until the next payday.  Currently still have just under a half a tank from that fill-up :) :)  (Approx $50 saved)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3742 on: July 07, 2015, 03:53:22 PM »
I'm making lasagna using up some discounted clearance cans from the store of tomato paste, and adding in pumpkin puree (also a cheap dent can, cooked and frozen extras from last week's pumpkin ravioli, so it had spices and fresh garlic already in it) to bulk up the vitamins/fiber and stretch the tomato sauce. I loooove pumpkin puree in tomato-base, and will be using my other dent can of pumpkin to make a cream of tomato/pumpkin soup most likely. It is a lovely complementary flavor, and I'd have never tried it if not for the dent cans!

Using up some leftover yellow squash and green peppers in lasagna too. The squash will be sliced and layered in with the cheeses, and chopped up the pepper and then cooked with the meat.

I've got three small potatoes to use up before they go bad this week, so I'll probably boil and mash them. Ditto on some celery; will be chopped and frozen today.

Packed the husband's lunch every day the last 3 months (okay, missed one day). Today's lunch was leftover homemade pizza (roasted red pepper, caramelized onion, pepperoni, black olives, fresh mozzarella and sweet basil from my herb garden). I'm really proud of my pizza since I've finally perfected the perfect crust (hand tossed type with crisp outside) that is super easy and tastes AMAZING.

Husband turns the A/C off when he leaves for work in the morning, and I don't turn it on until around 4pm most days (and I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, so that's saving quite a bit). I don't turn on any lights either; just open the curtains.

flygal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3743 on: July 07, 2015, 08:38:53 PM »
Hung 4 loads of laundry.

Sauteed up chanterelles that we foraged from the back yard.

DH replaced the gas tank ($16) and carburetor ($30) on a "free to good home" Craftsman push mower that wasn't working.

Scrubbed shower with homemade cleaner.

All in all a good day :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3744 on: July 08, 2015, 01:43:22 AM »
*Found $1.59 while cleaning out 2 junk drawers today. Also found enough pencils, erasers and rulers to get us through our next years of homeschooling. 

*Used up leftover chicken to make fajitas tonight -- kids were raving about it. I just googled "Fajita Seasoning" and tried the first one that came up.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3745 on: July 08, 2015, 08:00:11 AM »
Moved ourselves! This included a whole bunch of cost savings. The most obvious one: didn't use a moving company. We also bought a modem used from a friend so our internet is pretty cheap and we don't have equipment rental fees. We got boxes from a friend who owns a small company and packs and ships a lot. Unused boxes, so they're super easy to transport and use, and all we had to do was some tech help. Washer and dryer I already owned and had stored at a family member's house.

So far costs have stayed minimal for the move. The modem, dryer vent hose, those clamps for the dryer hose, and a shower rod.

Now to clean like a maniac and get my deposit back!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3746 on: July 08, 2015, 08:48:01 AM »
Heating the chili I made yesterday from scavenged vegetable, beans and marked down chorizo.  Planning to top it with cornmeal dumplings for dinner tonight.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3747 on: July 08, 2015, 08:50:23 AM »
Home made pizza (with fresh home made dough). There were limited pizza topping options, but we had bacon and spinach (from the garden). We had cheese, but not the right kind - cheddar, not mozzarella. Used it anyway. Absolutely delicious, quick, and easy.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3748 on: July 08, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »
I am so seriously resisting cravings by thinking about how much I don't want to fritter away money on junk food. So I didn't stop at the convenience store on the way to work to blow $3-4 on chocolate. I haven't gone to the vending machine at work. Luckily there's nothing really good in there.

It pisses me off when I think of how much money I waste on binge food when I go for a couple of days and give myself permission to eat brownies and cookies etc. I can easily spend $4 - $7 a day on this stuff, especially if I buy individual pieces of cake at the supermarket. I could pay less per slice by buying a whole cake, but then I would eat the whole cake over a day and a half or so.

So I've been good to my wallet and my ass. However, yesterday there were packaged free samples of "whole grain" chocolate fudge Pop Tarts in the break room. Why anyone would bother with even pretending to eat whole grains once they're eating Pop Tarts is beyond me, but it was chocolate and it was free. I ate two of them, but at least I didn't have to pay for them.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3749 on: July 08, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »
I am so seriously resisting cravings by thinking about how much I don't want to fritter away money on junk food. So I didn't stop at the convenience store on the way to work to blow $3-4 on chocolate. I haven't gone to the vending machine at work. Luckily there's nothing really good in there.

It pisses me off when I think of how much money I waste on binge food when I go for a couple of days and give myself permission to eat brownies and cookies etc. I can easily spend $4 - $7 a day on this stuff, especially if I buy individual pieces of cake at the supermarket. I could pay less per slice by buying a whole cake, but then I would eat the whole cake over a day and a half or so.

So I've been good to my wallet and my ass. However, yesterday there were packaged free samples of "whole grain" chocolate fudge Pop Tarts in the break room. Why anyone would bother with even pretending to eat whole grains once they're eating Pop Tarts is beyond me, but it was chocolate and it was free. I ate two of them, but at least I didn't have to pay for them.

Grains, particularly wheat, are addictive.  They break down to exorphins (externally derived version of endorphins) and cross the blood-brain barrier and light up the opiate receptors in your brain.  I know this because I have heart disease and grains plus sugar drive dislipidemia (poor lipids) and Metabolic Syndrome more than any other single factor.  So I had to give up grains.  And it was freaking hard.  As someone with experience with real addiction (alcohol), I can state with some certainty that giving up grains is just as difficult as stopping drinking.  Making a clean break is very hard, but also the most successful approach.  Check out the Wheat Belly books by the cardiologist William Davis for more detail and science.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:25:23 AM by tyort1 »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!