Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020951 times)

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6550 on: July 14, 2016, 01:26:55 PM »
I called Capital One today and very nicely asked about getting the annual fee, and subsequent late charge dropped from my account, as I hadn't been using the card, and didn't know the annual fee was due.  They refunded me the $84 and changed me from the Venture to the fee-free Quicksilver card, for about a 5-minute phone call.

I've been thinking of doing this for an airline card issued by Chase.  Since getting a dog and then having children, I really haven't been flying.  Good to know it was worth the time!

Today I read this article about Amazon Hacks, remembered I had a few lingering giftcards that were wedding gifts more three years ago, and added about $12 to my Amazon account!
https://wallethacks.com/amazon-prime-hacks/

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6551 on: July 14, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »
Free train trip home yesterday as the ticket scanners were broken.

Ate leftovers for dinner.

Slowly eating our way through the freezer before we move, plus I was home alone, so grocery spending this week was limited to bread, milk and garbage bags (for the move).

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6552 on: July 14, 2016, 03:24:35 PM »
Harvested my first crop of raspberries today YUMMMMMMM!!!!
For five minutes of effort I got more raspberries than I can get at the store in a plastic clamshell for $2.99!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6553 on: July 14, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
Harvested my first crop of raspberries today YUMMMMMMM!!!!
For five minutes of effort I got more raspberries than I can get at the store in a plastic clamshell for $2.99!!

Fantastic!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6554 on: July 14, 2016, 04:43:26 PM »
A very good day -- reread the new MMM article then I:

*hung a load of laundry to dry in the free wind
*baked a large loaf of French bread and started another batch of refrigerator dough
*baked a dozen hamburger buns to hold our salmon burgers tonite
*baked a pan of cinnamon buns with the rest of the dough
*soup for lunch with homemade stock from last week's whole chicken, leftover chicken bits, leftover rice and veggies
*chain cooking in the oven
*lots of tea at home
*lettuce from my garden for salmon burgers - first time successfully growing lettuce from seed!

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6555 on: July 14, 2016, 05:12:07 PM »
Welcome back 1967mama - I've been wondering what you've been up to and hoping that all is OK. Maybe you've been here all along, posting on threads I don't typically read - but just in case, good to 'see' you again.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6556 on: July 14, 2016, 06:14:39 PM »

*baked a large loaf of French bread and started another batch of refrigerator dough
*soup for lunch with homemade stock from last week's whole chicken, leftover chicken bits, leftover rice and veggies
*lots of tea at home
*lettuce from my garden for salmon burgers - first time successfully growing lettuce from seed!

Impressive!

(I really enjoyed the new MMM post. A good one to share with people to introduce them to some new ideas.)

Welcome back 1967mama - I've been wondering what you've been up to and hoping that all is OK. Maybe you've been here all along, posting on threads I don't typically read - but just in case, good to 'see' you again.

Seconded! I've missed your updates.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6557 on: July 14, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »

*lots of tea at home

Ooooh I want some cinnamon buns omg that sounds so goooood....

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6558 on: July 14, 2016, 09:33:49 PM »
Heading out for a week long road trip tomorrow, and I was thinking that I might pay for a day pass at a gym once or twice, then I realized that I could just throw my kettlebell in the car and be that weird person swinging iron around at the rest area!

Otherwise, the trip is going to be rather unmustachian, at least for the first half.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6559 on: July 15, 2016, 12:40:55 AM »
WOW! I'm touched by the warm reception here! I haven't posted for months and months. So, so busy! (very large family, homeschooling SAHM) but I've been lurking around on a few threads this week and decided to jump back in here. Things have slowed down a teeny tiny bit during the summer holidays. Lovely to be back :-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6560 on: July 15, 2016, 04:21:52 PM »
WOW! I'm touched by the warm reception here! I haven't posted for months and months. So, so busy! (very large family, homeschooling SAHM) but I've been lurking around on a few threads this week and decided to jump back in here. Things have slowed down a teeny tiny bit during the summer holidays. Lovely to be back :-)

Hope you get some time for yourself amid the busyness. :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6561 on: July 15, 2016, 11:22:06 PM »
Small things I did today to save money:

*Baked up a blueberry crisp with the last of a 10lb box of blues that was languishing in the fridge

*Stocked up on bulk spices at a bulk store tonite - also, cheap herbal tea and extracts

*Picked up my new Instant Pot at the Post Office - bought on Amazon Prime Day lightning deal - cooked a whole chicken (from our freezer stash of 60 chickens from our organic farmer friend). It was perfect! It was sixty minutes from when I turned it on till when I could open the lid. I'm going to love this device! Doing some steel cut oats for breakfast and chick peas tomorrow to whip up a couple of family sized batches of hummus ... Mmmmm!

*Saved juice and bones from chicken to make stock tomorrow

*Showering every other day instead of daily

*Cleared out another box full of too small baby boy clothes. I'm 49 so I'm almost certain there will be no more babies! Haha! Less clutter=more organized household which indirectly saves me money

*Didn't buy a new planner even though my current one has two glaring calendar mistakes. I just wrote over the numbers. Non-frugal me just wants a new one. This one is good till June 2017. JUST SAY NO!!!

*Family ate up all sorts of leftovers today for lunch - no one got sick

*Summer craft - younger kids made bracelets with dollar store pony beads and alphabet beads.

*Read on our city website that there are 6 "free" days this summer to dispose of large household items at a central location -- mattresses, tires, old furniture, old car seats, etc. Stuff in good shape will go to Salvation Army. Saves dump fees. Will be getting these dates in my planner

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6562 on: July 16, 2016, 01:52:51 AM »
The parks department had a free learn-to-fish lesson. They even provided the poles. Went to that. Caught a sunfish. It was fun. Will be on the lookout for fishing poles at yard sales now.

Walked to the library instead of driving to pick up a book I had requested. If you are willing to wait a few weeks there is almost no book you have to buy.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #6563 on: July 16, 2016, 06:52:55 AM »
I washed my car yesterday.  I've owned this car for 4 years and never actually washed it myself (hanging head in mustachian shame).  For the first 2 1/2 years, the local car wash had a M-W morning special so I could get a thorough inside/out wash for $10 including tip.  I did that about once a month.  Then they raised prices suddenly, so it cost me $14 for the same thing.  I reduced my frequency a little.  Then when I went last month it cost $16!  I decided I was done with that.  Washing the exterior took me 20 minutes, start to finish, including the time it took for hubby to come out with a wrench to adjust the faucet.  I decided it was too hot to do the interior, so I'll get that done this morning.  It will maybe take me another 15 minutes for a vacuum and wipe-down. 

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6564 on: July 16, 2016, 08:57:08 AM »
I made a decadent breakfast: overnight yeasted waffles with homemade blueberry syrup and a fresh batch of iced coffee, then we went on a long walk and picked wild blackberries. DH is off to swim lessons with the little man, then we'll clean the house during naptime. A lovely, low cost Saturday.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6565 on: July 16, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
I washed my car yesterday.  I've owned this car for 4 years and never actually washed it myself (hanging head in mustachian shame).  For the first 2 1/2 years, the local car wash had a M-W morning special so I could get a thorough inside/out wash for $10 including tip.  I did that about once a month.  Then they raised prices suddenly, so it cost me $14 for the same thing.  I reduced my frequency a little.  Then when I went last month it cost $16!  I decided I was done with that.  Washing the exterior took me 20 minutes, start to finish, including the time it took for hubby to come out with a wrench to adjust the faucet.  I decided it was too hot to do the interior, so I'll get that done this morning.  It will maybe take me another 15 minutes for a vacuum and wipe-down.

If you are washing your car yourself, I HIGHLY recommend this product: https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR2010Q-Rinse-Wash-Shine/dp/B00D8DR0AO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468697393&sr=8-2&keywords=rinse+free+car+wash

No messing around with hoses, faucets, etc. Just get a bucket of water, some towels, and you are good to go. I use this because of water restrictions/the drought in CA - it's a great product.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6566 on: July 16, 2016, 04:28:23 PM »
Stocked up on meat today. Pork loin, pork steaks, and whole chickens were 40% off. Freezer is full and I've got meat for the month.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #6567 on: July 16, 2016, 05:36:06 PM »
Made all meals at home, and didn't drive unnecessarily!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6568 on: July 16, 2016, 07:48:07 PM »
*Made soup stock and chick peas (separately!) in my new Instant Pot. This machine is a thing of beauty, I tell ya!

*Picked up son at First Aid course (1/2 hr drive away). Turned around and came
right back home.

*Had multiple mugs of tea at home with bulk bought tea

*Watched a library video of the band Pentatonix

*Kids are playing with Dollar Store super soakers

*Baked a loaf of French bread Togo with soup for dinner

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6569 on: July 17, 2016, 03:18:53 AM »
Had a long weekend away with friends - caught public transport to the airport for flights booked with points, stayed with friends in their beautiful, beautiful house, cooked and ate at home all meals bar one, played board games, watched movies, and just spent lovely time together.

Back home this morning. Laundry (cold wash, line-dried), eating out the freezer (stretching it as long as possible between grocery shops), now having a quiet evening of Netflix and looking at the numbers.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6570 on: July 17, 2016, 08:24:44 AM »
The kitchen track lighting stopped working.  I suspected it might be the 3-way switch. However after replacing it, no luck.  I was about to call an electrician, but thought I'd give it one more try by stripping away more insulation and scrapping the contacts with a box cutter.  Voilà!

Total cost of parts for the repair: $1.88 for a 15 amp light switch from Home Depot.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6571 on: July 17, 2016, 02:36:11 PM »
Quit dairy.  Actually quit it 3 weeks ago, and it seems to be sticking so I am posting about it now.  Its amazing how much you save when you stop buying heavy cream, yogurt, cheese, butter and ice cream!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6572 on: July 17, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »
I started feeling ill on Friday night, so I haven't left the apartment all weekend and I've barely eaten anything. Pros: cheap! Cons: Have batch-cooked food in the fridge that needs eating, but I can't face it right now, and I'm afraid it will go to waste.

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #6573 on: July 17, 2016, 03:21:04 PM »
Sold a pair of old hiking boots that I no longer use for $5.  Mostly this was about reducing clutter prior to moving.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6574 on: July 17, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »
Sold our microwave, waiting on someone to come by and we will hopefully sell our TV stand. Waiting until we're in the new place to sell our washer and dryer from here. Yay moving! Let's not talk about all the costs of switching everything and moving... haha. We have coordinated using trucks and trailers from family for the move though, so no renting anything there.

Cheap Sunday: went hiking, played pokemon go, having a junk food dinner (beer and pizza from frozen) at home. Walked to a nearby coffee shop to get a double shot of espresso to pour over vanilla ice cream we got on sale for some homemade affogato. Now we'll watch a show on Netflix, which I have because Brother got me 3 months for my birthday (probably expiring soon though- we won't renew).

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #6575 on: July 17, 2016, 04:03:38 PM »
Walked to a nearby coffee shop to get a double shot of espresso to pour over vanilla ice cream we got on sale for some homemade affogato.

Buy a 35 dollar Mr. Coffee espresso machine. 90% of the way there to 'outstanding coffee shop espresso' and will save you a ton of money in the long run, specially if you use good-but-cheap coffee like Café Bustelo. Then you'll save even more money on those affogato treats! :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6576 on: July 17, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »
Walked to a nearby coffee shop to get a double shot of espresso to pour over vanilla ice cream we got on sale for some homemade affogato.

Buy a 35 dollar Mr. Coffee espresso machine. 90% of the way there to 'outstanding coffee shop espresso' and will save you a ton of money in the long run, specially if you use good-but-cheap coffee like Café Bustelo. Then you'll save even more money on those affogato treats! :)

It's the one and only we've done =) And we're actually reducing our coffee overall. Otherwise I totally would consider that =)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6577 on: July 17, 2016, 04:33:40 PM »
*Pancakes and bacon for lunch after church. I call it "Mom Hop!"

*Made a loaf of French bread to go with dinner

*Daughter made Mexican Lentils for the company coming for dinner

*Sons washed and detailed a friend's car for a bit of $$  (ETA: He paid them $10 each!)

*Yummy cups of Earl Grey tea at home

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:20:10 AM by 1967mama »

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #6578 on: July 17, 2016, 04:47:05 PM »
I Don't know if I qualify it as saving money since I don't normally eat it, but made some pickled red onions and some sauerkraut.  We'll see if the recipe for the sauerkraut is more to my liking!

Also, making a sound amplifier as a present out of $5 dollars worth of wood.  Next up, replacing the desk with a new one also made from wood!  If I can do it for less than 170 I'm set!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6579 on: July 17, 2016, 05:02:53 PM »
Can't believe I forgot to post this one yesterday.

Paid off my husband's HECS debt (on the advice of two accountants who are also wonderful friends).

We could easily cover it with money from savings but I had been holding off to see how the chips would fall at tax time.

His net pay will go up now that the payments aren't being taken out as tax.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6580 on: July 17, 2016, 06:22:58 PM »
I was asked to make dinner for a potluck, and so picked rhubarb from the family patch and made a huge gingered rhubarb crisp. Total cost of ingredients: less than 1$.

I was expecting leftovers, and found the pan scraped clean. Success! :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6581 on: July 17, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »

Paid off my husband's HECS debt (on the advice of two accountants who are also wonderful friends).

We could easily cover it with money from savings but I had been holding off to see how the chips would fall at tax time.

Congrats! I know that opinions on paying off HECS are varied here, but I was so pleased to have paid mine off.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6582 on: July 17, 2016, 09:23:33 PM »

Congrats! I know that opinions on paying off HECS are varied here, but I was so pleased to have paid mine off.

Thanks!

I ummed and ahhed about it for a while, but finally listened to much wiser financial minds than mine (including one who is a regular around these parts). :)

And does feel good to have it paid off. Now for mine...

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #6583 on: July 18, 2016, 01:20:16 AM »
I saved money a few ways over the weekend:

- I usually bring wine when I go over to my inlays house for a visit. Yesterday, I brought a beautiful bowl of berries.   Savings of $10

- My friend wanted to meet for dinner, I suggested a bakery instead. Savings $15

- Mr. Tuxedocat was invited to dinner, he said he would stop in for a visit and bought a drink. Savings $20

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6584 on: July 18, 2016, 08:07:07 AM »
Got back late last night from being out of town this weekend and was too tired to make my big batch of oatmeal for breakfasts this week.  Instead of stopping for fast food this morning, packed up some frozen (homemade) waffles to heat up at work instead.  Thankful I always make extras and freeze them for mornings like this!

Andrew928

• Stubble
  • Life Is Good
« Reply #6585 on: July 18, 2016, 09:21:52 AM »
I did not buy a Slim Jim on the way to work today...It's the little things.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6586 on: July 18, 2016, 09:43:26 AM »
Using up a TON of freezer and pantry items to make a chili today. There is a "use it up" thread that's been really inspiring lately!

DH cleaned the walls of the bathroom. This was a monumental task (100 year old home with no ceiling fan, in Oregon... ughhhh). It saved money because I was legitimately considering hiring someone to do it for me. That is how strong the "don't wanna" was.

Got free sheets off Buy Nothing Group. I know people probably think I'm crazy, because Bed Bugs. But considering I've gotten clothing already from this lady, and bed bugs aren't a big problem here, I'm not worried. I washed them on hot water with a double rinse on a heavy setting. Also did a visual inspection of the sheets. *shrugs*. Best I can do really, and I imagine we'd be more likely to end up with bed bugs from DH's work travel than anything else.

Anyone else do used linens? Do people tell you you're crazy? =)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6587 on: July 18, 2016, 09:46:57 AM »
Using up a TON of freezer and pantry items to make a chili today. There is a "use it up" thread that's been really inspiring lately!

DH cleaned the walls of the bathroom. This was a monumental task (100 year old home with no ceiling fan, in Oregon... ughhhh). It saved money because I was legitimately considering hiring someone to do it for me. That is how strong the "don't wanna" was.

Got free sheets off Buy Nothing Group. I know people probably think I'm crazy, because Bed Bugs. But considering I've gotten clothing already from this lady, and bed bugs aren't a big problem here, I'm not worried. I washed them on hot water with a double rinse on a heavy setting. Also did a visual inspection of the sheets. *shrugs*. Best I can do really, and I imagine we'd be more likely to end up with bed bugs from DH's work travel than anything else.

Anyone else do used linens? Do people tell you you're crazy? =)

Well, if you GET bedbugs, you're supposed to wash the linens on super-hot and dry them in the dryer on super-hot - the heat kills the bugs. So, used linens: treat the same way, proceed. *shrugs* Especially if you're not in an area with a lot of bedbugs. I'd also be more worried about the hotel travel.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6588 on: July 18, 2016, 09:56:03 AM »
I don't think used linens are crazy, bedbugwise, if you put them straight into a very hot wash. Although after going through a bed bug treatment myself I am a little irrational about it and wouldn't take the chance here in NYC.

My toaster oven broke over the weekend - the door is jammed so you can't pull it open past an inch or two without really yanking on it. Internet informed me of many cases of identical problems with this toaster oven, and many people had the glass door shatter and spray them with broken glass when forcing it open. Yikes. So I was going to get a new one, but then thought I would at least try a fix... Slipped some needle nose pliers into the small space that it still opened, tried to bend the little metal piece that appeared to be catching on something. And... It worked! Not perfect, it still scrapes slightly, but no force is needed to open the door, so I think it should be OK.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6589 on: July 18, 2016, 11:47:40 AM »
Realized the cable payment hadn't showed up on my credit card yet. Oops, look like auto-pay didn't auto pay, and there's a $6 late fee. Called RCN and they (supposedly) took it off. Ugh missing payments due to technical difficulties really makes me angry because I've otherwise NEVER missed a payment for anything in my life. This is why I don't trust auto-pay (but RCN charges a credit card fee if you make a one-time payment each month).

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6590 on: July 18, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
I lent my work colleage one of our cat transport boxes. I got some chocolate from her as a thank you.

jordanread

« Reply #6591 on: July 18, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »
I made a decadent breakfast: overnight yeasted waffles with homemade blueberry syrup and a fresh batch of iced coffee, then we went on a long walk and picked wild blackberries. DH is off to swim lessons with the little man, then we'll clean the house during naptime. A lovely, low cost Saturday.

Damn. That is a beautifully staged photo.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6592 on: July 18, 2016, 02:19:25 PM »
Didn't buy a mini fridge.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6593 on: July 18, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »

Damn. That is a beautifully staged photo.

Thank you! I set a terrible example for my son by standing on my chair to get the overhead shot. :-)

Today: worked at the gym childcare co-op, made fancy salads for lunch using discount deli meat end pieces from the deli counter and miscellaneous veggies with Kitsune's lemon-Dijon dressing recipe, discussed savings strategies with my brother, and chose to do yoga at home instead of going to a class.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6594 on: July 18, 2016, 03:59:49 PM »
Only paid for a nail trim for Old Miss Dog ($10) rather than the whole bubble bath ($40). Bathed her ourselves.

Bought wine at Grocery Outlet. While buying the wine isn't cheap, we would be doing it anyway, and this is a cheap*er* way of doing it.

Getting our mortgage lender paperwork in a timely fashion so that we don't push back closing so that we don't need to rent a storage unit while staying with family once our lease is up... I hope!!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6595 on: July 18, 2016, 04:23:36 PM »
*Hung last night's washing on the line to dry

*Added cans of tomato sauce and paste to leftover frozen block of meat sauce. Heating in crockpot all afternoon.

*Yummy homemade tea

*Loaf of French bread made to go with dinner

*Grinding grain for next loaf

*Not putting a/c on even though house has passed 26 degree mark, which is my usual threshold. There's supposed to be rain tonite so it will cool off in here after dinner.  In the meantime, there's a coolish cross breeze and fans to help me feel comfortable

*Cancelling house keeping service we brought in 2 months ago to help me get control of the place. It's in control now, and I'm just being wimpy by not doing the work myself.

*Making hummus from scratch for good healthy snacks this week

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6596 on: July 18, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »
Today I reserved a bunch of cabinets in our office to take home for DHs workshop. Tough part is because he still can't walk I have to get them out myself, but I'll figure it out to save this much!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6597 on: July 18, 2016, 10:23:37 PM »
* Bought a washboard at the Hispanic-market grocery the other day and have since been using it to wash quick spills or accidents on kid clothes. Really like the efficiency of it, and it combines nicely with hanging up laundry to dry. I can't swear to the math but I *think* it saves water and energy relative to electric washing machine.

* Been wanting a gas can to add to our emergency kit and found a brand-new one at Goodwill today; probably saved $20 over new.

* Worked on the budget and canceled three recurring accounts we'd added on whim but don't really need.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:33:35 PM by jengod »

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6598 on: July 19, 2016, 01:26:28 AM »
Cashed in points from my PenFed Rewards VISA to buy a $100 Amazon gift card. I haven't been tracking so far so I don't know how long it takes to accumulate that many points but over the years I've gotten around $600 in gift cards.

This is from weekly groceries and gas. Those are the only purchases that go on that card.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #6599 on: July 19, 2016, 04:51:52 AM »
I'm getting my hair cut for free from an apprentice tomorrow, will go well with the free hair foils I got a few weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk