Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020953 times)

alewpanda

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8750 on: April 20, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »
Ordered felt for Christmas gifts that I will be starting this spring/summer.

Brought breakfast and lunch from home.

Sold several items on ebay, reused a shipping package that i had received, and only paid a few bucks in shipping.

Turned temps in house up high enough that the A/C will only kick on in the hottest part of the day for an hour or so.  I believe I have it set to 79!

Friend offered to include us in a multi-family garage sale in a couple weeks.  Normally I donate or facebook site sell stuff, but I enjoy hanging out with this friend, I had gathered a bunch of small stuff anyway to donate, and I wouldn't mind the motivation to declutter more small stuff before then.  My goal is to make 40.00 bucks out of small 1 or 2 dollar items.  I get to hang out with friends too, so I'm cool with that. 

Bought a screen protector and case for my phone.  Here's to making the thing last for the next couple years....cracks and all.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8751 on: April 20, 2017, 02:25:52 PM »
Walked back and forth to work, while listening to financial podcasts on my phone. Getting 2 hours and 40 minutes of free exercise.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8752 on: April 20, 2017, 02:46:40 PM »
Went to a restaurant supply store. It's super inconvenient, and the weather sucked, but damn if I can't get 15lbs of red potatoes for $2.98 and 10lbs of local onions for the same price, and Fuji apples for $0.50/lb. I also picked up some bulk spices that we use often. Now here's to hoping I can go at least another month before having to return ;)

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8753 on: April 20, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
Finally found and went to a WinCo! Saved some loot on stuff and scoped it out for future savings.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8754 on: April 20, 2017, 11:10:28 PM »
Bought two vintage cast iron skillets for my brother at an estate sale. They need to be cleaned and reseasoned but they will be ready in time for his birthday. By going to buy them at the estate sale, I saved 2/3 to 3/4 the price of eBay+shipping.

Rode my bike to the library. Felt ultramustachian and enjoyed listening to the night-singing frogs in the riparian area on the way home.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:18:15 PM by jengod »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8755 on: April 21, 2017, 02:52:51 AM »
Told the service department of a car dealership to go to hell when, after servicing our car, they announced we needed a new gearbox and quoted $14,000. Fourteen. Fucking. Grand.

It was actually my husband dealing with it, and fortunately for them he's slightly more tactful than me, because my response would have been somewhat ... Australian.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:31:52 AM by mustachepungoeshere »

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8756 on: April 21, 2017, 03:24:31 AM »
I picked up a pink gift-wrapping ribbon that my daughter had left lying outside for several days. I'll iron it and use it on a present.

Lunch today was a soup made of red lentils, garlic (free from one of my husband's coworkers), a tiny bit of leftover celery that I was going to throw out, chokos from my parents' garden, pumpkin from a vine that sprang up unaided in our garden, two button mushrooms bought at the cheapest fruit and vege place in town, and curry powder. It was so good.

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8757 on: April 21, 2017, 03:34:36 AM »
We've been invited to a potluck, BBQ-type meal tomorrow night. Instead of buying expensive and unhealthy sausages, I'm going to clear the junk food out of my freezer - a pizza and two mince pies - and take that. I won't be eating them, but I know the other guests will enjoy them.

I found out today that it's my turn to provide morning tea after church this Sunday. For milk, my husband has agreed to let me use a little of his, which he buys in large bottles at low cost, and, for food, someone at my husband's work gave him two unopened packets of a chocolate slice today, which he kindly said I can use and, to bulk that out a little, I'll buy a packet of biscuits I saw in town for 99 cents.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8758 on: April 21, 2017, 03:37:31 PM »
I went back to Costco today and purchased more fish oil on sale.  Now we have a year's supply!  While there, I wanted to get some lunch making supplies for DD's school lunches.  First I put a package of the Kirkland oven roasted turkey breast into my cart at $6.98/lb.  Then I spotted a big roasted turkey breast (right near the sliced one) this one needed to be sliced, priced at $3.99/lb.  So I swapped items.  As I was wondering around looking for cheese to go with it, I spotted an even better deal next to the refrigerated packed up rotisserie chicken breast chunks.  Sliced Chicken breast for $2.99/lb!!!!  I'm thrilled that I don't have to deal with trying to slice up that big hunk of turkey.  The chicken came in a 3 lb pack so I will be separating it into smaller packs and freezing most of it.  I also got our huge box of Quaker rolled oats that I forgot last week and I big bag of rice.  I was eyeballing many things while I was there, but I was strong and I resisted temptation. I topped off my gas tank for cheaper than any other station.  At work today I had the cohunes to remind my boss that she is 3 weeks late looking at our numbers for our quarterly bonuses!  She said she will do it this weekend and have it ready to go over on Monday!!!                 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8759 on: April 21, 2017, 04:11:49 PM »
Told the service department of a car dealership to go to hell when, after servicing our car, they announced we needed a new gearbox and quoted $14,000. Fourteen. Fucking. Grand.

It was actually my husband dealing with it, and fortunately for them he's slightly more tactful than me, because my response would have been somewhat ... Australian.

Potty mouth lol. But fair enough, car dealerships seemed designed to take full advantage of information asymmetry.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8760 on: April 21, 2017, 04:18:23 PM »
Requested and received a $15+tax refund for a passport photo that was not accepted by the passport documents examiner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8761 on: April 21, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
Requested and received a $15+tax refund for a passport photo that was not accepted by the passport documents examiner.

I've never tried for a refund before! Thanks for the tip, jengod.

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8762 on: April 21, 2017, 06:49:54 PM »
My MIL gave me $25 to buy myself a particular book for my birthday. I checked a price-comparison website and found a used copy in good condition for only $7, so I bought it and added the remaining $18 to my stache.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8763 on: April 22, 2017, 06:54:55 AM »

Potty mouth lol. But fair enough, car dealerships seemed designed to take full advantage of information asymmetry.

Just for you. ;)

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8764 on: April 22, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »
It was my turn to provide morning tea at church, this morning.

My husband gave me permission to take his bottle of milk (the children and I are basically vegans) and use some of that.

He also gave me two unopened packets of a chocolate mint slice that a coworker gave him.

In case that wasn't enough, I bought a packet of vanilla frosting-filled cookies, which I'd seen for 99 cents at a local ethnic supermarket. My husband was going to pick up a few things from the shop on his way home from work on Saturday, so I asked him to pick up a packet, but only if they were still 99 cents. They'd gone up to $1.29, but, being the darling man that he is, he bought them anyway and said he'd cover the extra 30 cents.

Well, when I arrived at church, I found a hardly-used bottle of fresh milk in the fridge and a woman who attends infrequently brought an enormous plateful of home-cooked goodies. There were quite a few of them left over afterwards and no one else wanted them (I asked), so I wrapped them up in the foil they'd come covered in (the donee said she didn't want to keep the foil), brought them home, and have put them in the freezer.

I've also frozen the remaining unopened mint slice and put the cookies in a cupboard, so that when I'm on morning tea duty next - about a month from now - I won't have to buy any food.

So happy!

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #8765 on: April 22, 2017, 07:29:38 PM »
We cut the cable cord last June, and I'd been paying for Prime, Hulu + and Netflix. After we hit the road to slow travel (3/15) I've found campground internet to be non existent, I finally cancelled them both saving us about $24/mo.

We don't get to watch YouTube or anything like that without Internet, BUT I own an older Fire Tablet on which I can download prime shows and so far that has satiated my need for "watching shows".

Ah and We do get random HD channels. The previous campground we stayed at we had 3 stations. One is called H&I. They have the full suite of Star Trek starting at 8pm through Midnight 6 nights a week. (H&I is for "Heroes and Icons"). I thoroughly enjoyed the older ones.

Our current campground has lame stations so I haven't watched TV.

and... I picked up some free items with Monopoly tickets yesterday: a Bagel, 2 donuts, a loaf of their french bread and aluminim foil. Gotta love free!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8766 on: April 22, 2017, 08:40:29 PM »
I threw my back out spectacularly a few days ago, to the point that I could barely stand up for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I managed to shuffle to the grocery store before it totally seized up, to buy some convenience foods that require almost zero prep. Keeps me away from Grubhub! I also signed up for Amazon Unlimited free trial for 30 days so I could download a ton of stuff to read for free without getting out of bed. I'm on my seventh free book in four days...

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8767 on: April 22, 2017, 09:30:50 PM »
We unloaded our moving POD ourselves rather than hire it out. Saved a few hundred easily and got a great workout. Double score.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8768 on: April 23, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »
-Carpooled with friends to the March for Science yesterday. Planned ahead and ate right before we left, and had easy food when we got home, so we weren't tempted to eat out.

-Due to weather, friends cancelled a kayaking trip for today. Bummer, but it'll save a ton of money, between rentals and gas for the (long) drive. The cancellation will enable us to get the rest of our garden soil in and get some more seeds planted- spending for now, but with future savings. Excited we finally own and I can invest in good soil.

-Planning ahead for this summer. We have several planned road trips, and it's the only time anymore we let ourselves have starbucks coffee. It's everywhere, we like the flavor, and they have the best bathrooms, haha. Cardpool had starbucks cards 10% off, instead of the 8-9% off they usually have, so I re-loaded my starbucks card.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #8769 on: April 23, 2017, 04:36:05 PM »
My parents asked if we wanted to go out to eat after church today. However, instead we told them to come over to our house to eat, which I already had the ingredients for. So that saved us money by eating at home of course.

My daughter gathered 8 eggs.

Harvested lettuce to put on our hamburgers for lunch.

We are having leftovers from the week tonight for supper.

Just a slow, nice day, not spending money.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8770 on: April 23, 2017, 08:55:38 PM »
Completed an online survey to earn 150 points for my FF account.

GhostSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8771 on: April 23, 2017, 09:07:39 PM »
I bought ingredients for two coat-effective crock pot meals that I know I can pull off this week. Each will provide leftovers for another night. I feel good about that.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8772 on: April 23, 2017, 09:21:53 PM »
Finally got around to making saag.  It was a hit, and will stave off future trips to (or deliveries from) the local Indian food place. 

PsychRabbi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8773 on: April 24, 2017, 02:26:03 AM »
I had to take my 5 year old to a doctor's appointment 5 kilometers away. Last night we taxied there and bussed back and it 1) cost too much 2)took too long. Today we biked! I have an electric bike with a seat for her - took us only 20 minutes and cost almost nothing. Saved $25 in taxi costs!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8774 on: April 24, 2017, 03:26:23 AM »
I've been traveling alot more for work and a nice pair of noise cancelling earphones has become much more appealing.

The good ones run 200-300.

Instead, I painted a pair of safety ear muffs from safety yellow to black and wear a pair of earbuds underneath.

Total cost: 4.50 for the paint.

Not quite as good as active noise cancelling, but it's right for the price.

PrinsKheldar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8775 on: April 24, 2017, 06:59:57 AM »
My first DIY haircut! A bit of a fail but at least I saved some money. I ended shaving most of it off to repair the damage haha.

This is my next (and final) step towards living real fully badass MM... 
I'm really scared though! My plan is to schedule my first DIY haircut a few days right before my summer vacation... In case of total disaster I'll have a few weeks for it to grow back before returning at my office after the summer.. =D

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8776 on: April 24, 2017, 08:24:13 AM »
Asked my boyfriend if he'd be willing to try trimming my hair, and he agreed to give it a shot.  Ordered a pair of scissors for it, so I actually spent money today, but overall it should save a pretty penny over the next year.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8777 on: April 24, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »
I'm learning to adapt recipes to fit what we have on hand.  I used to hit the grocery store to buy 'missing ingredients' in a recipe, which always ended up with me seeing more stuff to buy & spending more. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8778 on: April 24, 2017, 09:16:50 AM »
For what it's worth, I checked the fridge before going to work and concluded that we have enough veggies to survive the next 3 days, after which we will go away on a camping trip. So I'll skip shopping groceries (avoiding temptations) this week, we'll live on what we have.

My unused racing bike was sold yesterday. Better have some cash at hand than an unused bike standing in the way. I still have a mountain bike that I prefer to use.

hiker_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8779 on: April 24, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »
Made a delicious and frugal date night meal for me and my boyfriend last Tuesday. We had French onion soup and a loaf of crusty no-knead bread (both recipes were from Serious Eats).  I used bone broth from bones leftover from previous meals. That was the second batch of broth from the same set of bones so it cost practically nothing. I also used a 3-lb, $1.50 bag of sweet onions from Aldi.  The most expensive part of the meal was $2.99 for 1/2 lb. of smoked gouda.  The bread involved four ingredients: flour, water, yeast and salt.  It had a delicious, slightly sourdoughy tang from letting the dough sit in the refrigerator for 3 days.

All in all, I was able to make 5 meals for two people for under $6.00.

I learned that you can put together a frugal yet luxurious meal if you let time work its magic.  Let dough cold-ferment in the refrigerator for 3 days. Let bones simmer in the slow cooker for 2 days.  Take 15 minutes to chop onions, then stir the onions every 5 minutes for 30 minutes while reading a book.

The rest of the onion soup is in the freezer. We warmed up a couple of servings this Saturday. It hit the spot on that cold, rainy evening.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8780 on: April 24, 2017, 02:52:54 PM »
Made 2 loaves of bread from refrigerator dough. One is a gift for someone who offered to cut our hair for free! Wrapped it up in parchment paper and tied with jute. Looks really pretty.

Simple lunch for the kids and I was cheese and cucumbers on buns.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8781 on: April 24, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »
Made a double-batch of bolognaise last night, using up some of my stash of unwanted red wine.

I'm getting over a stomach bug so I didn't eat any but it smelled amazing. Half into fridge, half into portions in the freezer.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8782 on: April 24, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »
* Rode my bike to the drugstore to pick up some infant Tylenol. Ever since I added the bike odometer to my setup I've been much more inspired to run bike errands. (I got a CatEye Velo. It was easy for me to install following the instructions even though I don't consider myself terribly handy.)

* Made potato-onion-carrot soup with homemade chicken broth.

* Changed out a sprinkler setup by myself today (for a newly planted fruit tree) instead of calling a guy.

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8783 on: April 25, 2017, 01:51:54 AM »
I'm pretty proud of this one. I gave five haircuts, today!

First, I trimmed my mother's hair. Then, I used my new Wahl Color Pro hair trimmer to give my son a crew cut, shaved the back of my Dad's neck, tidied up the ends of my daughter's hair, and gave my husband a business-style haircut with the Wahl.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8784 on: April 25, 2017, 08:31:20 AM »
-Have been wanting wireless headphone since I've been running consistently the past 3 months. Lo and behold, francois et mimi (which I learned about on the forums!) sent me a coupon code for a pair of theirs for $2.49 through amazon prime. I'm sure they'll be pretty crappy, haha, but I don't need perfect sound quality while running =)

-As always, making food for work lunches. Used up leftover cilantro that was getting wilty, too. We've been doing really well making sure no food goes bad. We have some wimpy looking green onions I forgot about and bought more, so I will probably plant these in the garden and see if they regrow =)

-Picked up an extra shift because coworker's baby came early, and I promised him I would cover. This is making money rather than saving it I guess, but still felt relevant. Karma and cash, a good combo.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8785 on: April 25, 2017, 08:41:10 AM »
Made 10 pounds of beer brats last night. Home brewed beer, cheap pork butt. They taste great and cost under $1.50 per pound, and have no weird preservatives or other chemical additives. Just salt, pepper, meat, beer.

mustache you a question

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8786 on: April 25, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »
Huge golfer here, play about twice a week.  Anyways, used to ride in a cart but started walking this year instead.  Saves me about 15 bucks a round, over the course of the golf season should be about 600 dollars in savings!  Plus it's good for you, just an added benefit...

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8787 on: April 25, 2017, 12:42:16 PM »
Working on some felt food for a Christmas gift...leftover felt will be made into felt blocks for the lil sister of the recipient.

Small shopping trip this week.  Attempting to cut back and use less alcohol. convenience foods and sweets.  It makes for a cheaper bill at the grocer, and better health.  Takes a little more dedication sometimes!

Husband built a desktop computer for friends of ours.  They are older and retired and on a fixed income.  They paid him for his time and the parts....they get a quality computer for the cost of the parts and a couple cheap hours of work.  Husband makes a few bucks.  Win-win.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8788 on: April 25, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »
$40 Amazon gift card for participating in a focus group at work. Trying to decide whether to spend it frivolously or practically.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8789 on: April 26, 2017, 01:35:06 AM »
Walked to work, i hour and 20 minutes and will walk back again in the afternoon.
Brought my own lunch as always.
Eating free bananas provided by my employer.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #8790 on: April 26, 2017, 06:52:00 AM »
$40 Amazon gift card for participating in a focus group at work. Trying to decide whether to spend it frivolously or practically.

Save it for stuff that you really need.  I earn amazon gift cards to the tune of about a dollar a week just for checking in to locations.  I slowly accumulate them until I have enough for something that I've been thinking about getting or stuff that I need to buy anyway.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #8791 on: April 26, 2017, 06:56:02 AM »
Walked to work, i hour and 20 minutes and will walk back again in the afternoon.
Brought my own lunch as always.
Eating free bananas provided by my employer.

Awesome!  I've walked to work a few times but have been biking - my walk only takes about 45 minutes vs. < 15 for biking.  If I ever have any issues with my bike, I'll walk again.  Funny thing is I've doubled and tripled my bike route (just for the hell of it) and it still takes me about 30 minutes to get there.

There really is no reason to drive there anymore; I also get the double-whammy of never having to pay to park downtown.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8792 on: April 26, 2017, 08:03:41 AM »

Save it for stuff that you really need.  I earn amazon gift cards to the tune of about a dollar a week just for checking in to locations.  I slowly accumulate them until I have enough for something that I've been thinking about getting or stuff that I need to buy anyway.
I might actually save it to re-up my Prime sub in a couple months unless something else comes up sooner.

What app are you doing the check ins for if you don't mind my asking?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8793 on: April 26, 2017, 08:38:55 AM »
-I'm participating in a study, and the second part was sent to me. It made me realize I haven't gotten the $45 amazon gift card from doing the first part! So I emailed, they apologized and said they were behind, and it'll be out by the end of May. This isn't like... strictly saving money, but keeping tabs on something that should be incoming is always a good idea. Plus, now I know the email it'll come from (a different company they contract to), so hopefully it won't go to spam!

-Garden work! This should pay off in grocery budget, since we spend a lot on fresh produce. Finished up by getting soil in the last beds last weekend, and DH trellised the peas yesterday while I was at work. I'll plant a second round of lettuce and peas today, but I'm going to push the other things I had planned for this week out a week or two. It's been pouring rain and we've had minimal sun lately, and I'm worried stuff will just rot where it sits =o

-DH used up almond milk that I hated. Close to or possibly at zero food waste so far this month.

-Remembered to delay all my subscribe and saves until next month, since we don't need anything this month.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #8794 on: April 26, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »

I might actually save it to re-up my Prime sub in a couple months unless something else comes up sooner.

I app that I use is "mPlus Places".

Basically, you earn points doing the following:
- check into places around you to the tune of 5 points per location (sometimes more for places that are being promoted).  This is capped at 25 places a day and you can only check in once per hour for the same place ~ 125 points a day.  Checking into places also generates prize boxes that get randomly placed on the map.  If other users don't redeem your generated boxes, after 24 hours you get to redeem them - you have to do this with 24 hours.
- prize boxes also appear on the map (from yourself/other users checking in to places) - you can tap a box once per hour; rewards vary from 5 up to 1000 points, but oftentimes you get no points and just sweepstakes entries

Some other rules:
- a $1 amazon gift card is worth 2000 points; you're only allowed to redeem them once per week
- you can also buy sweepstakes entries for 100 points. If you do one everyday, you can get one punch per day.  Every 20 punches on your punch-card also rewards a $1 amazon gift card

Honestly, it's pretty time consuming and doubtful that the $1 is really worth all the effort, but I figure I can at least earn a buck wasting time versus doing other time wasters that earn $0.  It used to be easier to get points (check-ins were 10 points, more advertisers were willing to reward more for check-ins).  I view most/all mobile games in this light  I usually do just enough to get the $1 credit a week plus the punch a day for another $1 credit every 20 days.

I also do swagbucks surveys occasionally to earn some amazon or ebay gift cards.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8795 on: April 26, 2017, 09:15:13 AM »

I app that I use is "mPlus Places".

Basically, you earn points doing the following:
- check into places around you to the tune of 5 points per location (sometimes more for places that are being promoted).  This is capped at 25 places a day and you can only check in once per hour for the same place ~ 125 points a day.  Checking into places also generates prize boxes that get randomly placed on the map.  If other users don't redeem your generated boxes, after 24 hours you get to redeem them - you have to do this with 24 hours.
- prize boxes also appear on the map (from yourself/other users checking in to places) - you can tap a box once per hour; rewards vary from 5 up to 1000 points, but oftentimes you get no points and just sweepstakes entries

Some other rules:
- a $1 amazon gift card is worth 2000 points; you're only allowed to redeem them once per week
- you can also buy sweepstakes entries for 100 points. If you do one everyday, you can get one punch per day.  Every 20 punches on your punch-card also rewards a $1 amazon gift card

Honestly, it's pretty time consuming and doubtful that the $1 is really worth all the effort, but I figure I can at least earn a buck wasting time versus doing other time wasters that earn $0.  It used to be easier to get points (check-ins were 10 points, more advertisers were willing to reward more for check-ins).  I view most/all mobile games in this light  I usually do just enough to get the $1 credit a week plus the punch a day for another $1 credit every 20 days.

I also do swagbucks surveys occasionally to earn some amazon or ebay gift cards.
Thanks for the info! I play a lot of Pokemon Go, so I figure I could at least make a tiny bit of cash while I'm out roaming around anyway. Offset the cost of the data a tiny bit, at least.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8796 on: April 26, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
* Found a Baby Gap hoodie in the gutter. Will wash and add to our kid clothes stash

* Bought two boxes of dried cherries (a family fave) marked down from $14.99/lb to $1.50/lb

* Making vanilla extract

* Making citrus vinegar from saved peels of homegrown lemons (the juice went to lemonade)

* Potato peels become "tater skins" snacks.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:14:36 PM by jengod »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8797 on: April 27, 2017, 07:32:44 AM »
Snagged two empty horse supplement buckets from the stable and made a free feeder for the chicks I'm raising.  They were emptying their mason jar feeder 2x a day, and I was thinking of buying another one.  This homemade version is bigger and will hopefully reduce the amount they waste too.

Paid $52 for the 12 chicks, and they've all survived so far.  I'm hoping to sell 6 of the pullets for $15 apiece so I'll have almost free new chickens when all is said and done instead of paying $90 for six.  Then we'll be rollin' in awesome eggs for the next couple years.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8798 on: April 27, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
Tried to make dog treats yesterday from canned pumpkin and coconut flour.  It *almost* worked.   The treats are a little soft and crumbly, which isn't ideal...but they like them and they are completely hypo-allergetic for my oldest, plus promotes good *ahem* bowel function for him.

Will try again in a week or so when these are used up.  I probably made a mistake when adjusting amounts (recipe was originally for regular flour...which is much drier).

It will save money too...particularly since most grain free/chicken free treats are 9.00/lb....or more.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #8799 on: April 27, 2017, 09:32:57 AM »
* Found a Baby Gap hoodie in the gutter. Will wash and add to our kid clothes stash

* Bought two boxes of dried cherries (a family fave) marked down from $14.99/lb to $1.50/lb

* Making vanilla extract

* Making citrus vinegar from saved peels of homegrown lemons (the juice went to lemonade)

* Potato peels become "tater skins" snacks.

This is next-level money-saving. I'm impressed! I'm not sure I'd have the confidence in my washing abilities to salvage that hoodie.

As for my money-saving- I made a few loaves of bread that I divided into quarters and froze. Any time DH and I want fancy bread with pasta or soup, I defrost a quarter of a loaf. Saves us money by not buying bakery bread at the grocery store, plus we don't feel like we *have* to eat the whole loaf before it goes bad.

This isn't really saving so much as earning money, but in my decluttering I freed up tons of decorative storage bins. Sold all of them (about 15) yesterday for $25.