Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2369668 times)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8750 on: March 22, 2017, 08:03:45 AM »
Aha. I thought by "compartment" you might be referring to the garage.

hiker_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8751 on: March 23, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »
Fought the temptation to go out for Indian food. I was getting tired of my cooking and I started fantasizing about a good curry. I keep a running list of "meals I can make with ingredients at home." Looked at the list and found "ramen with spinach, pork rib, green onions from the garden, and a soft-boiled egg." I think I will have a fancy Japanese meal tonight instead.  :)

Returned a hanging planter to Home Depot. Made one out of an old colander and ribbon.

Forgot to pack lunch for work today. Luckily, I keep frozen breakfast sandwiches in the office kitchen for these emergencies.

Refreshed my Craigslist ad for a new housemate.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8752 on: March 23, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »
-Instead of buying more brussel sprouts (our current go to veggie for roasting), I got a cabbage when they were on sale for St Patrick's Day. $0.33/lb instead of ~$1.97/lb. Having roasted cabbage rounds with lunch.

-Found that I like sambal oelek on fish cakes. This is good, since we have 2 jars to go through. And cheaper than the pesto I like to do =)

-Checked out a book from the library. Combined with a grocery trip, so no extra gas.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8753 on: March 23, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
Packed breakfast, lunch, and snacks
Last night I made a chicken fried rice with leftovers from our fridge and freezer
Avoided the vending machine (I REALLY want chocolate)

I've started planning DIY gifts for the holidays and hostess gifts for the spring/summer.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8754 on: March 23, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
I am ridiculously pleased with my small savings today.

My parents are snowbirds and right before they left in Janauary to go South, I introduced my dad to the game Qwirkle. He loved it and I decided I would get him a copy for his February birthday, well just a few weeks later I found a brand new copy at the thrift store for $3!!! What a score!

My moms birthday is today, before they left my sister got married and I took a picture of my mom and my 13 year old nephew all dressed up and laughing at each other. It is by far one of my favourite family photographs (and I am a photographer, so that says a lot). I didn't send my mom a copy of this picture because I wanted to surprise her. I used a coupon and got a beautiful 8x10 print for $2. I then framed it in a new frame I thrifted. My mom loves photos, this one will make her happy cry!!

Anyway, both presents wrapped in awesome vintage paper I got from the thrift store, with cards and bows I made! They look awesome and I know my parents will be very happy with their gifts. I also got them a free Canada Parks Pass, which is something they would not have been able to figure out how to get online. I tucked it into one of the cards as a bonus.

Not bad for $5, all I have to do now is buy one small strawberry cake (their fave) at the local bakery in my hometown. I'd make one, but they would kill me, they love these specific cakes. :) they just got home so this will be a nice birthday/homecoming celebration for them.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8755 on: March 24, 2017, 01:38:56 AM »
This weekend my DH want to go on a trip and asked me to give input for plans. He mentioned that the weather forecast was looking good, both at home and at our mountain cabin, 5,5 hours driving away.
I suggested to stay close to home and do a canoeing trip in the Oslo fjord and find a wild camping site along the coast or on an island. For this canoe trip, we will need to drive max 80 km instead of 760 km to the cabin and it will save us on not driving a lot of toll roads. But it will be a "summer" trip instead of a weekend skiing. I wrote "summer", because it is still freezing at night. But it can be sunny and 8C on day time.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8756 on: March 24, 2017, 01:48:36 AM »
A "canoeing trip in the Oslo fjord" sounds absolutely wonderful.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8757 on: March 24, 2017, 02:08:09 AM »
A "canoeing trip in the Oslo fjord" sounds absolutely wonderful.

We will not be alone. There live a LOT of people in this area and many of them have a (speed) boat. There are also the big ferries to Denmark with cause high waves. We have an open canoe and need to watch out a bit.
It will be an OK trip, but don't imagine a very romantic quiet trip in a serene area. ;-) That is something we usually do in Sweden a bit later in the year, on some lakes that don't have speed boats. That place is 2 - 2,5 hours driving from our house.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8758 on: March 24, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »
Got a big beautiful salad from Au Bon Pain for free.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8759 on: March 24, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »
* Ate leftovers for lunch and likely will for dinner. All meatless because it's Lent, but also saves money.
* Made homemade sourdough
* Meal planned, made a list, and went to Aldi for only what was on the list.
* Cloth diapers during the day for the kiddo.
* Made a batch of flax seed hair gel since I ran out of store bought gel.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8760 on: March 24, 2017, 12:38:50 PM »
Had a friend over for breakfast instead of meeting her out
Listed an item on eBay
Donated a lot of clothing & got a receipt for tax purposes
Meal planned for the week
Outlined DIY hostess gifts

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8761 on: March 24, 2017, 12:59:39 PM »
Ate some crackers and tea for breakfast/lunch because we didn't meal prep enough food. Meal prepping sucks when one person is working five 12 hour night shifts.

alewpanda

• Stubble
« Reply #8762 on: March 24, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »
Intended on going out to meet friends at the park and then swinging by the store on my way home to grab ingredients for a marinade.   Instead, friends met us here, and I came up with a new marinade recipe online that didn't require extra ingredients.  Will have husband grab drinks for our dinner with guests while on the way home from work, but saved the gas and money for the other trip.

Still babysitting...last shift of the "spring break" week.  He comes here though...so no leaving the house for me.

Planning a trip to the farmers market tomorrow morning.  Local pork chops will be on sale -- stocking up!

Had to replace our wireless router...other one went completely kaput and did not respond to several attempts for revival.  Put it on the cash back card at least....

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8763 on: March 24, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »
Had to be out of the house early (for us) and were pretty rushed as well. Still managed to take breakfast with us instead of eating out. Then when we should have been able to return home, we could not, therefore pushing our home lunch to the curb, or so we thought. Since we both had no real appetite, we lasted the additional hour and had our delicious lunch (leftovers) at home. Sometimes just a little patience yields some real savings, both in the wallet and for our health.

Metalsatsuma1212

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8764 on: March 24, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »
Today I killed our term/whole life insurance policy (we were paying $35 a month for 100,000 in coverage) and replaced it with 1 million for me for $25. It is a little thing.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8765 on: March 24, 2017, 09:41:29 PM »
Put up 15 jars of pickled asparagus.  And then cooked dinner for myself and the friend who came over to help.  He's my 'eating out' friend, but I think I can win him over with homecooked food.
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8766 on: March 24, 2017, 11:45:53 PM »
There was discounted beer on the closeout shelves at the supermarket. Rotating inventory is good news for our party next week. Saved $16.

Saved $0.10 bringing my own mug to our monthly Cub Scout planning meeting at Starbucks. Rode my bike to said meeting and brought home a bag of espresso pucks for our earthworms to turn into good soil.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8767 on: March 25, 2017, 01:26:13 AM »
*Made pizza from scratch and Caesar salad for dinner

*Started another double batch of refrigerator dough

*Husband and daughter did groceries from my list

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #8768 on: March 25, 2017, 03:25:15 AM »
Picked up 12 buckets of compost as a freebie from the cities waste disposal. They want to separate trash from compostables because it's cheaper and better for the environment, we'll be using it for the veggie garden so double win for us!
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8769 on: March 25, 2017, 03:43:06 AM »
Wen to the movies using one of two Christmas gift cards.

Tale as old as time...

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8770 on: March 25, 2017, 08:59:09 PM »
Wen to the movies using one of two Christmas gift cards.

Tale as old as time...

Us too!   At the concession, DH said "It seems like we aren't paying for anything"..   He forgot how the passes worked.  (We won them before christmas, I guess I don't watch movies as much as I thought we did)

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8771 on: March 25, 2017, 10:37:20 PM »
* My boys helped wash and clean out the car! Saved $5 over the drive-through carwash on Wacky Wednesday. (Facepunches for paying for carwashing, I know, I know.)

* Made 8 servings of baby food for the freezer, saving at least $8.

* Added some strawberry tops to a green smoothie, reducing food waste.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8772 on: March 26, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »
I bought some more glass food storage containers today that were 50% off. I just bought some in January but have found because I am bulk cooking at least one meal a week on Sunday and freezing for quick lunches/dinners I am using a ton of storage dishes. So small investment upfront has saved me a lot in groceries/eating out and I am eating much healthier, not to mention saving cooking time.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8773 on: March 26, 2017, 04:21:55 PM »
* Added some strawberry tops to a green smoothie, reducing food waste.

This is a good idea! I'll throw whole strawberries in there, but I just saved the tops from the strawberries I sliced for tonight's dessert for a smoothie tomorrow.

Lots of really cheap family fun this weekend: bike rides, walks, trips to the playground, and the library.
Bulk cooking so we have lots of leftovers for the week.
Made homemade chorizo using ground pork and spices we already had.
Used gift cards to buy fancy ingredients for a celebratory meal later this week from Whole Foods, and to buy two new trains for our toddler's train set.
Inventoried kid clothes and determined we didn't need to go to the kids' consignment sale this weekend.
Made homemade hair gel using flax seeds.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:24:29 PM by frooglepoodle »
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Carrie

• Bristles
« Reply #8774 on: March 26, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »
I know it's only Marc, but global warming had us mowing our own yard this weekend, saving the $80-$120 our neighbors pay.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #8775 on: March 27, 2017, 07:24:26 AM »
Spent a cheap weekend outside. Saturday we went to an old ski mountain that is no longer in use. Skin-tracked up and skied back down three times. Went home, napped, got some work done, ate, and went to bed at 9h30.
Sunday we went to a family park with cross-country skiing trails with some friends. Paid 10$ for the entrance fee, and spent the day on the trails. Went by the grocery store to pick up a few items for a BBQ dinner together.
Total weekend spend: 32$
Total weekend fun: way more than that

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8776 on: March 27, 2017, 07:36:37 AM »
This is a few days old (fie on me) but my computer died, and rather than replacing it with a refurbished iMac (the type of computer it was), I built a PC. Between Amazon credits put to valiant use, a used monitor that belongs to my Roommate, and the general cost-savings of building a PC that fits my needs (and not filling it with things I don't need, like a graphics card) versus buying even a refurbished iMac, I saved at least $600. Probably more like $700.
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #8777 on: March 27, 2017, 08:51:07 AM »
Our carpets have been looking rather dingy so on Saturday we took the day to do an intense spring cleaning. The carpet cleaner is one we went in on with several of my husband's classmates 4 years ago and we still had the shampoo left from the last time we did this so it was $0 out of pocket. Our neighbors we were chatting with told us they had paid over $200 for the service last fall!
We saw Beauty and the Beast Saturday night and paid for the tickets using gift cards. Resisted the urge for popcorn/sodas.
Sunday we decided to go kayaking for free at the university's recreational lake. An hour's worth of exercise, enjoyment of a beautiful day and we even got to see a gator in the water with us.
Making plans on Tuesday to see Get Out with a friend and will use ATT's promotion to get BOGO tickets. 

tc_traveler86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8778 on: March 27, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
After a very, very spendy week, I finally have something to add!
Husband and I moved across the country, and shipped our stuff... So that means no kitchen equipment :(
First couple of days I let hubby take charge of purchases, going out to dinner etc.  While very tasty, that much eating out was not making me feel great.  So I lobbied for a Costco run- bought a bunch of their pre-made dishes (lasagna, stuffed peppers etc) that can be cooked in the container and several premade salad kits!  Is it the cheapest/ healthiest thing I could do- nope-  But here is to not letting perfect be the enemy of done!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8779 on: March 27, 2017, 11:23:46 AM »
I walked to and from work -> no petrol spent. In total about 3 hours.
Are as usual homemade lunch at work and fruit provided by my enployer.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #8780 on: March 27, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
Lately I:

Have been trying to catch up here, am behind by about 15 pages!

Because of a new service deal with my home office, I'm receiving an additional $1,000/mo this year indefinitely.  I immediately called a financial advisor and am putting the entire amount into an IRA.  I've got some retirement funding to catch up on!

Found a penny while taking the long way to the office mailbox.

Called my cell phone carrier and changed plans for an annual savings of nearly $300.

Combined some things with DH to help save on our insurance.

Batch baked yesterday:  Almond flour cookies, flax muffins, and a few other things for work day lunches.

I saved 25% on my monthly grocery bill by using coupons, e-coupons, and shopping the sales.

Gave a certain airline some "feedback" when they made me miss my connection last month.  They refunded my overnight expenses, and gave me $150 gift card.  I re-gifted the latter.  :D

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8781 on: March 27, 2017, 11:02:18 PM »
* Checked out an ebook from the library for free

* Added thinned pumpkin seedlings to today's green smoothie to reduce food waste

* Cleaned out the coop of the season's worth of "deep litter" and spread the well-rotted fertilized bedding beneath five different fruit trees in the yard, saving ~$50 versus purchasing store compost.

* Spent $50 less than I thought I'd needed to on a new set-up for our chicks.

Eucalyptus

• Stubble
« Reply #8782 on: March 28, 2017, 04:45:45 AM »
I'm over a week now of consuming only powdered milk! I'm determined to turn this into a permanent habit! It saves me about 25c/L here in Aus. I also don't have to worry about buying fresh or UHT milk as its easy to keep a stash in the Pantry.

Yesterday at a discount store I bought a second milk jug. Plastic, 1.5L, $2.50... actually made in Australia! I'm stoked about that, I was of course expecting made in China. Now when I make milk I can do two jugs at once, 1L and 1.5L, so I don't have to do it as often.

Bought a new fridge. Its a 250L Samsung model. I bought a watt metre, and worked out that my old fridge (which I got for free from my Grandad a year ago) was chewing about 3.5kwh per day...I only use 5kwh/day in my unit, in any case thats a ton! It was a 500L fridge, way too big. I worked out that this new Samsung at $539 delivered (I shopped around, this is a couple of hundred below retail) based on its energy rating and my electricity costs (100% green energy, 34c/kwh here in Adelaide, South Aus), would pay itself back in just over 18 months. Warranty is 2 years plus 10 years for inverter. So it was a no brainer! Basically halving my household electricity useage, which will also make going solar and battery easier in a couple of years.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #8783 on: March 28, 2017, 05:52:21 AM »
I've checked out and read nearly 50 books from the library so far this year. I've also borrowed books from friends and reread some books on my shelves.

Money spent on books in 2017: 0

Considering my reading addiction, this is a big deal. :)
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8784 on: March 28, 2017, 06:32:50 AM »
I worked out that this new Samsung at $539 delivered (I shopped around, this is a couple of hundred below retail) based on its energy rating and my electricity costs (100% green energy, 34c/kwh here in Adelaide, South Aus), would pay itself back in just over 18 months.

18 month pay back is awesome! And wow, 34c/kwh. I guess I'm lucky with the 11-13c/kwh I get in the southern US.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8785 on: March 28, 2017, 06:39:32 AM »
I've checked out and read nearly 50 books from the library so far this year. I've also borrowed books from friends and reread some books on my shelves.

Well done.

My challenge when it comes to books is that I can download a free Kindle book every month from the Samsung deal with my phone. Via some annoying app that is sending me Kindle commercials on a daily basis and I cannot turn it off. :-(
But the point is that most of these books are the first in a sequel. And of course, when the books is good, I want to read the rest of the sequel as well. And some writers have discovered this as a good business to make a decent length part 1, a pretty short part 2, an even shorter part 3 and 4. And the prices go up from part 1 to 4. (tip for those who want to publish a book as a side-gig). I should try to focus on choosing books that are not part of a sequel.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #8786 on: March 28, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »
Ate breakfast at home

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #8787 on: March 28, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »

Well done.

My challenge when it comes to books is that I can download a free Kindle book every month from the Samsung deal with my phone. Via some annoying app that is sending me Kindle commercials on a daily basis and I cannot turn it off. :-(
But the point is that most of these books are the first in a sequel. And of course, when the books is good, I want to read the rest of the sequel as well. And some writers have discovered this as a good business to make a decent length part 1, a pretty short part 2, an even shorter part 3 and 4. And the prices go up from part 1 to 4. (tip for those who want to publish a book as a side-gig). I should try to focus on choosing books that are not part of a sequel.
Depending on your version of android you can disable notifications from specific apps. For me this worked great since a very annoying app kept notifying me so i friggin blocked it :D
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8788 on: March 28, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »

Well done.

Depending on your version of android you can disable notifications from specific apps. For me this worked great since a very annoying app kept notifying me so i friggin blocked it :D

Dankjewel, Wauske. That was of course the solution.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #8789 on: March 28, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
I just saved $60 on toner for the office by shopping around and buying refurbished.  :D

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8790 on: March 28, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »
I bought the cheapest while wheat bread from the shop, even though it didn't feel like the freshest. Save about 1 dollar a bread. I also bought some packs of flour. 2 kilograms can probably make 4 loafs and the price is less than 1 bread that I usually buy.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8791 on: March 28, 2017, 01:45:20 PM »
I had a spendy day, but I worked some of the details to be frugal. It could have been worse!

I bought an all day ticket to the local (well televised internationally) tennis tournament in town. That was the spendy part.

But instead of following their directions and parking at the lot 3 miles away and taking a shuttle bus to the tournament (the required method of parking) for $15, rather I drove past the traffic jam this parking lot was creating, past the location of the tournament to a park 1 mile away and parked for free all day and had a very pleasant 1 mile walk to and 1 mile walk back to the tournament. Considering I was going to be sitting most of the day watching professional tennis, the walk was a nice addition to the day. The line of cars into and out of the regular parking lot, plus having to wait for the shuttle buses probably saved me time (and aggravation) too.

I also brought my own lunch/dinner and snacks instead of paying for overpriced food. And I refilled my brought-from-home water bottle in the bathroom sink instead of buying bottled water.

I probably saved between $30-$50 by not paying for parking or food.

BrightFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8792 on: March 28, 2017, 02:33:34 PM »
Our humidifier started making a grinding/grumbling noise and wouldn't mist anymore. I figured there was literally zero risk in trying to fix it, since otherwise it would go in the trash. Googled it, found a YouTube video about how to fix it, tried the fix, voila - a working humidifier that cost $0 and only about 10 minutes of work.

alewpanda

• Stubble
« Reply #8793 on: March 28, 2017, 06:32:10 PM »
Bought paint for my bathroom -- unneeded I suppose, but certainly wanted -- off of Lowe's oops shelf.  9.00 vs. 31.00!  Its the nice stuff too..lol.

Bought a 1st birthday gift for my niece from a clearanced stash of Melissa and Doug stuff.  Saved 15.00 and got a quality, non-crap kids gift

Bought a brand new book at the thrift store for a dollar. Its a gift, and will be paired with a gift card to a local shop :)

Babysat today after my work shift. 

Turned off heat/AC the last few days.  Trying to keep this coming month's bill low...electricity costs are going up locally :(

Cloth pads -- i figure they save me/pay me back 4-5 cents each one I use ;)  I wear them with a menstrual cup...because I'm paranoid.  If i use cloth, I buy less pantyliners.

Got another 5 off 25.00 coupon from family dollar.  They have the cheapest toilet paper prices around...so I'll stop by there and buy 25.00 worth of toilet paper and stack the savings ;)

Not driving tomorrow...yay!  Its been a while since I've had a no drive day.

I've been superglueing cracks in the battery cover of my phone for months.  Finally broke down an ordered one on ebay.  6 bucks, verses Amazon's 18.00 price tag...

Hung laundry to dry.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8794 on: March 29, 2017, 12:14:41 AM »
I drove to work, but will walk home in the afternoon (7,5 km). And then walk back the next morning. This fitted best with the weather forecast.

Eucalyptus

• Stubble
« Reply #8795 on: March 29, 2017, 01:08:35 AM »
I worked out that this new Samsung at $539 delivered (I shopped around, this is a couple of hundred below retail) based on its energy rating and my electricity costs (100% green energy, 34c/kwh here in Adelaide, South Aus), would pay itself back in just over 18 months.

18 month pay back is awesome! And wow, 34c/kwh. I guess I'm lucky with the 11-13c/kwh I get in the southern US.

Yeah when I realised how much electricity my fridge might be using, I went out and bought the watt meter (about $20). Confirmed my suspicions. 18 months is a pretty incredible return on investment! Pretty hard to beat it.

Eucalyptus

• Stubble
« Reply #8796 on: March 29, 2017, 01:11:14 AM »
I'm three days into awesome Moustachian commuting. A few weeks ago I moved into my one bedroom unit very close to work (its an amazing spot near the city, parklands, etc). Monday our research group moved into our new space on the Uni's main campus.

My walk is amazing, its not awful city streets, but parklands, a beautiful cricket stadium, crosses a river. Glorious!

21minutes walk for me. I walk fast, this is at 6.5kph. I'll get faster as I get fitter (relatively to my former self I'm quite unfit cardio wise at the moment).

Not even worth using a bike for this. Loving it!

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8797 on: March 29, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
Yesterday, talked my boyfriend into "shopping" from our fridge/freezer/pantry when he made dinner, rather than drive to the supermarket. Saved money! Had great food! He even cleaned out the freezer...we have space in there now. Whoo!

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8798 on: March 29, 2017, 09:48:20 AM »
Our humidifier started making a grinding/grumbling noise and wouldn't mist anymore. I figured there was literally zero risk in trying to fix it, since otherwise it would go in the trash. Googled it, found a YouTube video about how to fix it, tried the fix, voila - a working humidifier that cost $0 and only about 10 minutes of work.

That's great! YouTube repair videos have saved me so much time and money over the years. They're one of the reasons I'm delighted to be living in the future.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8799 on: March 30, 2017, 06:33:04 AM »
I changed my TSP contribution (government 401k) so that I'll withhold the max this year! I didn't think I could afford that but after many many small increases suddenly maxing out is only $42 more per paycheck! :D