Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020820 times)

madamwitty

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2900 on: March 25, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »
My husband took lunch to work. This is a big deal since he drops $15 a day for lunch for the past 12 years.

I made it super easy for him - even packing spoon, fork and snack. And got his input on what he wants to take for lunch everyday. This means more cooking and planning for me but I can change our dinner based on it.

If he can stick to it, we'd save over $300 a month. Saving it $15 at a time.

W00t! That is a big deal!

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #2901 on: March 25, 2015, 10:20:23 PM »
Had a pretty frugal day!
* Made hamburgers for dinner, so I also made buns from scratch instead of purchasing them.
* Worked on a child's birthday present I'm making while waiting for him to come out of class -- instead of driving home and then driving back to pick him up an hour later.
* Scheduled the cub scout meeting at my house so I wouldn't have to drive to our regular meeting location. (Would need to bring too many supplies to walk/bike).
* Decided I wanted a new spring wreath to hang on the door. Couldn't justify spending $5 -$10 bucks on a new wreath form, so I used an old steering wheel cover we had lying around and other supplies I had on hand to create a pretty wreath.
* Went out for coffee with DH. Used a gift card to pay for it. We had a lovely 1 1/2 hour long convo about our 10 year life plan and goals. Realized that if things go even remotely close to plan we will be ready to FIRE in 8 more years. Made some plans together that should help speed that up a bit.
* Eldest son went out and sold some coupon cards for a fundraiser. He has now earned enough money that we will only need to pay for $24 of his $300 summer camp fee -- and the fundraiser isn't over yet. He has earned the entire camp fee on his own for the last three years now!

And not something I did, but something that will give us more money to throw at FIRE -- was offered and accepted a 4 month editor contract for a client, while their staff editor is on mat leave. I've never done editorial work, but fortunately this is just content editing (making sure things flow smoothly and fit the client's guidelines). Another freelancer is handling the actual copy editing. Looking over the work, I will be paid more for less hours than I typically get writing. Plus they are paying for a 12 month subscription to two online services I need to use in my work, AND these services allow me to add the 12 months onto the end of my current prepaid subscription period.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2902 on: March 25, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »
The furnace has been off for about 10 days now, but it was 57 inside when I got home from work, and forecast to get to about 34 tonight, so got a fire going instead of turning on the heat.

Didn't buy anything today, brought breakfast, lunch and coffee to work.

rickhuizinga

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2903 on: March 25, 2015, 11:32:27 PM »
I saved $12 on my monthly cell phone bill by switching from Harbor Mobile ($33) to US Mobile (500 mins/500 MBs) for $21.

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #2904 on: March 26, 2015, 01:34:44 AM »
Came home late from work yesterday and really wanted to get some take-out. Instead opted for a simple meal, which only costed $2 in groceries, since we had all other things in our cupboard. Savings of about $15!

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #2905 on: March 26, 2015, 03:30:09 AM »
Made yummy coconut bread pudding from old hamburger buns that were about to be thrown out. Used up coconut milk, brown sugar and coconut from pantry too (trying to clear out before moving)
Refrained from getting whatever at grocery store and stuck to my list (mostly, I bought more shredded coconut, face punch! It will get used but not prior to moving!).
Went to doctor and a avoided copay by having it be a well woman exam (way overdue anyway). Randomly learned my doc (a mentor) is leaving at he end of this week and moving cross country, so got to say good bye as well.
Used leftover meat for tacos, all from fridge stuff needing to be eaten. And have enough for lunch tomorrow too.

For people selling on eBay/craigslist, how do you decide if it is worth it? Especially LPs or clothes?

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2906 on: March 26, 2015, 06:21:38 AM »
 - Last week it was in the 50s. This week it dropped back to the 30s. Keeping the heater off and making due with sweaters, thick socks, and blankets. No reason to turn the system back on when we'll be back in the 50s by the end of the week.
- Not great leftovers earlier this week (does anyone else have a problem with pineapples in leftovers?) but we ate them anyway. Crockpot potato soup last night with the .99 Aldi potatoes (and we still have some left!), a lot of other veggies, and the chicken stock from our whole chicken a few weeks ago. Hefty dinner for the BF and I and about four servings left for the rest of the week's lunches.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2907 on: March 26, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »
Put a gallon milk jug full of water in my little greenhouse to help maintain the temp at night.

apricity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2908 on: March 26, 2015, 10:22:20 AM »
Switched car insurance companies and got an identical policy for $40 cheaper a month.  I had all the info in front of me for probably a month or two but was "too busy" to call.  Ha! 

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #2909 on: March 26, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
For people selling on eBay/craigslist, how do you decide if it is worth it? Especially LPs or clothes?

I personally decided the eBay/Craiglist route isn't worth it right now. We, too, are looking to move in the next few months so we're looking to get rid of things quickly, but we're also loaded up with client work so time is short. So we're going the middle route: clothes to ThredUp and Twice, LPs to vintage record store, anything not appropriate for either to local Goodwill. We won't make as much as if we'd gone the individual sale route, of course, but the client work is waaaay more lucrative in this case, and when we do reach a slow work period (when we could dedicate time to selling stuff), we need to be out of here. Even if we only average $1 for every item, that's still $250ish dollars we didn't have before.

Were we selling one by one, though, I'd set a mental minimum dollar amount per unit, under which (to me) it's not worth the time/effort. We do the same with books on Amazon. There's no time needed to take photos, write extensive descriptions, etc., with Amazon -- it's just 5 minutes for a description, 5 for packaging, and an excuse to take a walk to the post office -- so our minimum is a low $4. For the time involved to do eBay/Craiglist, though, my minimum would be higher.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2910 on: March 26, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »
I set up a meeting in a little under two hours to meet with my rental property manager and hand over my notice of termination. I managed the property myself a few years ago and got terribly stressed out dealing with horrible people. I can handle the maintenance, I can't handle bad tenants! Eventually I handed all responsibilities to the management company, but now they are just as stressful as dealing with the tenants directly. Ok, to be fair, they are not nearly as stressful, but they are draining me for every last dollar they can suck out of me. The maintenance things they were charging me for were absurd and they are no good at finding decent tenants. It's not worth it anymore.

Hopefully I know enough now, and have enough resources, to be able to get good tenants and deal with it myself. I'm nervous like I imagine I would be leaving any other toxic relationship. Nervous for the future and whether I can handle it, but I know I can't stay in this situation any longer.

Wish me luck!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2911 on: March 26, 2015, 10:57:59 AM »
I set up a meeting in a little under two hours to meet with my rental property manager and hand over my notice of termination. I managed the property myself a few years ago and got terribly stressed out dealing with horrible people. I can handle the maintenance, I can't handle bad tenants! Eventually I handed all responsibilities to the management company, but now they are just as stressful as dealing with the tenants directly. Ok, to be fair, they are not nearly as stressful, but they are draining me for every last dollar they can suck out of me. The maintenance things they were charging me for were absurd and they are no good at finding decent tenants. It's not worth it anymore.

Hopefully I know enough now, and have enough resources, to be able to get good tenants and deal with it myself. I'm nervous like I imagine I would be leaving any other toxic relationship. Nervous for the future and whether I can handle it, but I know I can't stay in this situation any longer.

Wish me luck!

Good luck! A quote that always helps me through rough times with toxic people is a quote from Tim Ferriss from 4 hour work week, “A person's success in life can usually be measured by the number of uncomfortable conversations he or she is willing to have.”

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2912 on: March 26, 2015, 11:07:17 AM »

Wish me luck!

Good luck! A quote that always helps me through rough times with toxic people is a quote from Tim Ferriss from 4 hour work week, “A person's success in life can usually be measured by the number of uncomfortable conversations he or she is willing to have.”

Thank you. I'll keep that quote for when I need it. I'm usually pretty good at uncomfortable conversations, I just get this horrible intense fury/despair/stress combination in my gut when I feel like I'm being cheated or taken advantage of and I'm not sure how to handle that.

I'm feeling that right now actually, having this meeting in 90 min... but I know when I walk out of there I will have a huge grin on my face for having taken the plunge and made the decision. :)

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #2913 on: March 26, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »

Wish me luck!

Thank you. I'll keep that quote for when I need it. I'm usually pretty good at uncomfortable conversations, I just get this horrible intense fury/despair/stress combination in my gut when I feel like I'm being cheated or taken advantage of and I'm not sure how to handle that.

I'm feeling that right now actually, having this meeting in 90 min... but I know when I walk out of there I will have a huge grin on my face for having taken the plunge and made the decision. :)

Great quote, Bracken_Joy.

Kick ass, Cookie78!!!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2914 on: March 26, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »
Mailed in two rebate offers and in 6-8 weeks will hopefully get back $7 :)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2915 on: March 26, 2015, 01:28:11 PM »

You're doing so well!  Your efforts the past month+ have not gone unnoticed.  Good job!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2916 on: March 26, 2015, 01:33:42 PM »
Recently:

I used a coupon code to get $5 off my continuing education course.

I used several Wally World savings rewards coupons to buy an ibuprofen multi-pack for .63 out of pocket.

Used my value card to receive .10 off per gallon at the gas pump.

Finally met with the bank gals about IRA options.  I feel so grown up!

DH and I ate all of this week's leftovers last night for supper.

At the store tonight for a few items, I'll buy two with e coupons, and also pick up the two free items offered each Friday I've got down loaded on my card.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2917 on: March 26, 2015, 01:35:01 PM »
Neighbor just gave me a bag of soap and lotion.  Originally gifts from her SIL whom she is mad at and never wants to think about again.  I thanked profusely and made slightly rude jokes about the SIL.  I think I am getting a reputation as a person who is always glad to accept a used thing. 

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2918 on: March 26, 2015, 08:16:59 PM »

You're doing so well!  Your efforts the past month+ have not gone unnoticed.  Good job!

Thank you so much, MountainGal!  Wow - you really made my day!  I really have made some quite profound changes in my life and it feels great to be able to share the small successes.  Thank you so much for your support!

Bonus for today - sent request to HR to increase my retirement plan contribution another 4%.  Sort of scared this will leave me short on payday . . . . but determined to find a way to compensate for that! 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2919 on: March 26, 2015, 09:36:26 PM »
Carefully analysed the reasons why I felt I needed some additional clothes, worked out exactly what I actually need, then bought those items second-hand on ebay (thus getting excellent quality at 25% of retail prices).

Having dinner out tonight with friends, but arranged to go to a BYO wine restaurant, plus one friend is bringing a discount card for 25% off.

Planning out what to pack for a local trip - still won't be cheap (especially accommodation!) but for the first time ever we'll be bringing some food with us including homemade bread and almond butter, so that we'll have lower costs and better nutrition than we would if we ate out three meals a day / bought groceries at the holiday location.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #2920 on: March 26, 2015, 10:24:01 PM »

I personally decided the eBay/Craiglist route isn't worth it right now. We, too, are looking to move in the next few months so we're looking to get rid of things quickly, but we're also loaded up with client work so time is short. So we're going the middle route: clothes to ThredUp and Twice, LPs to vintage record store, anything not appropriate for either to local Goodwill. We won't make as much as if we'd gone the individual sale route, of course, but the client work is waaaay more lucrative in this case, and when we do reach a slow work period (when we could dedicate time to selling stuff), we need to be out of here. Even if we only average $1 for every item, that's still $250ish dollars we didn't have before.

Were we selling one by one, though, I'd set a mental minimum dollar amount per unit, under which (to me) it's not worth the time/effort. We do the same with books on Amazon. There's no time needed to take photos, write extensive descriptions, etc., with Amazon -- it's just 5 minutes for a description, 5 for packaging, and an excuse to take a walk to the post office -- so our minimum is a low $4. For the time involved to do eBay/Craiglist, though, my minimum would be higher.

Thanks for the info and your experience. I don't know if it is even with my time for less than $50 total (I'm guessing). But I do have a couple clothes that twice might want.
On the plus side, I finally followed up with the State on an unclaimed claim they had of mine. I looked into it about 2 years ago, but they needed some documentation and I didn't get around to it. They have since revamped the system and I was able to claim it electronically. Easy Peasy $800 in 10
Minutes that I thought was gone forever before. And I found another claim that is mine too, but it is going to take more work. No problem!

And I took my lunch to work, and ate dinner at home.

Anyone know where to buy a good professional interview outfit?  Suit or similar professional level, ladies?  The goodwill sucks near me and I have a few gift cards I can use. I want something really good as I have a bunch of interviews lined up in the next few months.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:18:45 PM by handsnhearts »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2921 on: March 26, 2015, 11:13:52 PM »
Ate left overs for dinner. Things in fridge are clearing up and we have an easy dinner ready.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2922 on: March 27, 2015, 07:12:23 AM »
Anyone know where to buy a good professional interview outfit?  Suit or similar professional level, ladies?  The goodwill sucks near me and I have a few gift cards I can use. I want something really good as I have a bunch of interviews lined up in the next few months.

Try Express - I got a pair of their grey Editor pants and a black jacket for interviews last year. They fit perfectly and seem to be good quality.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2923 on: March 27, 2015, 09:32:23 AM »

Thank you so much, MountainGal!  Wow - you really made my day!  I really have made some quite profound changes in my life and it feels great to be able to share the small successes.  Thank you so much for your support!

Bonus for today - sent request to HR to increase my retirement plan contribution another 4%.  Sort of scared this will leave me short on payday . . . . but determined to find a way to compensate for that!

You're so welcome!  And, another 4% contribution increase?!  Badassity!  :D

apricity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2924 on: March 27, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »
Today I was able to work from home!  No gas used, no opportunity for on-the-fly spending. Bonus-- a little extra sleep in the morning, too.  What a treat. Would love to be able to work this into my schedule every week.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2925 on: March 27, 2015, 01:32:34 PM »
The lunch I brought to work sucked (sometimes my creativity/skill with using up leftovers is lacking . . . )  Well, I have to eat because will out/about until way late tonight.  So instead of going to buy lunch, I went home and cooked up some food to pack with me for the rest of the day. 

It cost the gas to get home and back, but still works out to less than if I had gone out to eat.  Plus, I do NOT get to be rewarded for bringing a crappy lunch!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2926 on: March 27, 2015, 07:06:15 PM »
Neighbor just gave me a bag of soap and lotion.  Originally gifts from her SIL whom she is mad at and never wants to think about again.  I thanked profusely and made slightly rude jokes about the SIL. I think I am getting a reputation as a person who is always glad to accept a used thing.

I also have this reputation! Houseplants, furniture, clothing, food, etc.... I try to keep our clutter way down, so sometimes I just end up donating it, but I keep the stuff that works for us :)

Coworker gave me an old iPhone speaker thing he couldn't use now that he's got an iPhone 5 or 6 or whatever. Sold it for $20 since I won't use it. I know a deal when I see one!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2927 on: March 27, 2015, 07:23:15 PM »
Made a big pot of refried beans with lots of leftovers. Ate nachos and will have Netflix movie night w/ my kids.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2928 on: March 27, 2015, 10:22:38 PM »
Picked up a car load of free rocks I'm going to use this spring for a landscaping project. Going back tomorrow to get another load or two. Excited to be making steps towards this project. :D

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2929 on: March 27, 2015, 10:49:09 PM »
Treated myself to lunch at Chipotle today, but brought and avocado I had at my desk and put it on my salad instead of paying $1.95 for guac. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2930 on: March 28, 2015, 01:05:32 AM »
Well done, @horsepoor!

Tonight I attended a great concert for free when someone backed out at the last minute. The ticket was worth $40! And the concert was excellent!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2931 on: March 28, 2015, 01:41:21 PM »
Made my famous "leftover" soup for breakfast and lunch and used up most of veggies that were getting closer to expiry. Savings $25
 Planning to go to a farm this afternoon before spring rates kick in. Savings $10

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2932 on: March 28, 2015, 02:27:50 PM »
Took a scenic route (long detour) to turn our trip to pick up our wedding bands into a road trip/vacation. Brought our own food for lunch and ate on the tail gate watching the ocean. Then stayed at a relative's place who is out of town so no lodging cost. Just gas for the whole adventure, which while not cheap, is a lot cheaper than most vacations!

The drive took us through a city that has a store I had a gift card for ($26) so I stopped and got some clothing items that are in desperate need of replacing. I got 6 items (retail about $85) and after the gift card and all the sales and a coupon I had, it was $11. This is big for me because I tend to let gift cards expire if it's not somewhere close to me.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2933 on: March 28, 2015, 02:55:54 PM »
Over the winter I have started taking riding lessons with a trainer who only comes to town about once a month.  The lessons are pricey, but not too bad for once per month.  Her regular scheduler is getting too busy with a different business venture, so they asked me to day if I'd do the scheduling, and get a free lesson out of it.  So, $65 saved each time, for what I'm hoping will be less than two hours of coordination work via email.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2934 on: March 28, 2015, 03:11:58 PM »
canceled a 12.00 month subscription we weren't using, saving $2150 over 10 years ala: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/15/getting-started-3-eliminate-short-termitis-the-bankruptcy-disease/

Reduced out telephone internet by 10.00 saving $1790 over 10 years.

Rented out our basement suite which will earn us approx $125,300 over 10 years.

I love calculating things this way, makes even the smallest of changes seem really, really big!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2935 on: March 28, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
Didn't turn the heat on even thought last night was in the 20s.  I knew I'd be leaving right away this morning.  I just got home, it's 42 in the house.  I changed into my warm wool layers, made tea and got a batch of soup going on the stove.  I did turn on some heat, as I want to be able to work on projects, not just huddle under blankets this evening. 

I found clearance bagels I had frozen and forgotten.  Pulled one out this morning and made mini pizzas in the toaster oven to take along for lunch. 

The soup I'm making used a few potatoes and carrots almost at the end of their lifespan and odds and ends out of the freezer.  It will make 8 or 10 meals for me this week.

Updated my resume and sent it off to one of my mentors who is writing me into a grant for some paid art work next fall.

Now I'm fixing to light a few candles, put on some music and work on some comissioned projects.  Saving and making today. 

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2936 on: March 28, 2015, 05:31:43 PM »
Made a nice ovendish out of a few parsnips that I found while weeding my new veggieplot and some near-to-expiring potatoes from the pantry. Together with some leftover white beans and tomatoes it made a nice cheap and filling meal.

Mended some clothing today, cut up an oversized mouse mat into two more appropriate sized ones, made some laundry detergent. Took some cuttings of indoorplants and terrarriumplants to green up the house (and frog enclosures) a bit more, better than driving to the garden center to get some overpriced stuff.

madamwitty

• Bristles
« Reply #2937 on: March 28, 2015, 07:35:53 PM »
Cut DS's hair (getting easier now that he's 3 y.o. and less squirmy. Also, cut DH's hair for the first time! He was very open to it since his mom used to cut his hair until college. I did a respectable job and will be saving lots more $16's in the future. Plus less nagging since the time commitment for DH will no longer include driving to the barber. (Oh! And gas savings too!)

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #2938 on: March 28, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »
Hung fairly thick dark purple "blackout" curtains today after receiving utility bill for new abode. 

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2939 on: March 28, 2015, 09:41:27 PM »
We blew eggs to paint for Easter decorations - I kept the egg innards of the half dozen we needed, and used them for DS breakfast (2), for cupcakes (2), and will make a few cupcake sized vegi quiches with the rest (2).

Planned before grocery shopping, shopped from cupboard first, and only spent $16, which will keep us in food till Friday.

Was going to go to Target while shopping, but when I stopped and thought about it, there was nothing I needed, was just boredom-browsing (usually leads to buying useless stuff), so I skipped it.

Found a good deal on eggs for family (we always swap eggs at our Easter BBQ - can run $5/egg/person, but I found nice Red Tulip ones on a deal for $1/each). They aren't huge but they'll do (we all eat too much junk anyway). = spent $8 rather than $40.

Hid goodies I bought from my boyfriend. I adore him, but he is an inveterate night snacker, and will pillage anything sweet, including easter eggs and snacks intended for my sons school lunches. So, when I buy things, I hide them away, or take out and individually bag stuff for DS lunches, so that it stays safe. Nothing more frustrating than waking up 2 days before grocery shopping to find that BF has eaten all the chips, snack bars and muffins I prepared!

Ate leftover pasta from the fridge. Wasn't great, I'll be honest, but it all helps!

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #2940 on: March 28, 2015, 11:15:41 PM »
today I took my kids to the circus-it was 6$ a ticket, and supports local talent. obviously way less expensive than a big traveling circus. I took a bag of sandwiches and snacks so that we werent tempted by the concession food. didnt spend any extra money there.

for dinner we grilled burgers  and I used up the leftover takeout rice (my dad got us all chineses food last weekend) into a broccoli/cheese/rice casserole.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2941 on: March 29, 2015, 07:29:29 AM »
Hid goodies I bought from my boyfriend. I adore him, but he is an inveterate night snacker, and will pillage anything sweet, including easter eggs and snacks intended for my sons school lunches. So, when I buy things, I hide them away, or take out and individually bag stuff for DS lunches, so that it stays safe. Nothing more frustrating than waking up 2 days before grocery shopping to find that BF has eaten all the chips, snack bars and muffins I prepared!

LOL -- I have this same problem with my husband!  He's one of those guys who can eat whatever they want and never gain an ounce -- so when I started shopping at bulk stores (think Costco) and he found out they had giant bags of candy, cookies, chips...he about died of excitement.  I finally had to put my foot down and tell him I wasn't buying ridiculous snacks anymore, because those things are at least $10 per bag and he can go through them in only a few days.  Plus I am NOT one of those eat-anything types, and having junk in the house constantly was not going well for me...Luckily he hates shopping and never comes with me, and won't ever go on his own, so I can control the budget/incoming food pretty effectively by just not giving in to his demands for junk xD

madamwitty

• Bristles
« Reply #2942 on: March 29, 2015, 02:51:47 PM »
Did my monthly Costco trip. Bought gas there for the first time. The gas there is so much cheaper it's like getting a free gallon with every fill up! (And that's for my compact car with a little gas tank.)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2943 on: March 29, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »
We were out of bread for our usual breakfast toast, so I made biscuits. Cut up a ham I got on sale for the freezer. The dogs got scraps instead of their usual can of dog food, and the bone is currently flavoring a pound of blackeyed peas for the freezer.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #2944 on: March 29, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
I was all set to cook a pot of beans on the stove, but then I thought about the electric draw from having a burner on for hours, and after checking a few things online and checking the wattage on the slow cooker, figured I could make them just as easily in the slow cooker and use 1/4 as much electricity. Then I cooked up some slightly wrinkled but still good bell peppers and tomatoes to eat with them, rather than letting them rot in the crisper.

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2945 on: March 29, 2015, 06:41:53 PM »
Bought 5 whole chickens, froze 4, due to $0.50/lb sale.
Made broth from bones saved up.
Made chicken noodle soup from scratch, but with bought broth since todays would not have been ready soon enough.
In middle of first ever homemade bread using hillbilly housewife recipe.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2946 on: March 29, 2015, 07:29:58 PM »
Used up leftovers from potluck dinner last night. EVERYONE left food! It was awesome!

Lunch: turkey, pasta salad, carrot cake
Dinner: ham (eggs and pancakes made from my own food - breakfast for dinner)

Still left for tomorrow: more turkey to make a casserole tomorrow, ham to dice up and freeze for future pizzas, hambone to flavour split pea soup.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2947 on: March 29, 2015, 09:57:28 PM »
No money spent today (or yesterday).
Worked on side gigs today. (This is like trying to empty the ocean with a teaspoon right now - but at least while I am working on it, I am not spending money.)
Sketched out new plan for savings/debt elimination goals.
Hung the plan on the wall where I have to look at it everyday :)

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #2948 on: March 29, 2015, 11:46:58 PM »
Asked a friend if we could eat at her place instead of going out for dinner.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2949 on: March 30, 2015, 05:42:33 AM »

LOL -- I have this same problem with my husband!  He's one of those guys who can eat whatever they want and never gain an ounce -- so when I started shopping at bulk stores (think Costco) and he found out they had giant bags of candy, cookies, chips...he about died of excitement.  I finally had to put my foot down and tell him I wasn't buying ridiculous snacks anymore, because those things are at least $10 per bag and he can go through them in only a few days.  Plus I am NOT one of those eat-anything types, and having junk in the house constantly was not going well for me...Luckily he hates shopping and never comes with me, and won't ever go on his own, so I can control the budget/incoming food pretty effectively by just not giving in to his demands for junk xD

Haha, mine can eat anything and still look good too (though I shudder to think of the inevitable future diabetes..) I budget for distraction-junk in my grocery budget for him- get a few big bags of stuff I can resist (chewy/crunchy stuff), and put some on his kitchen shelf every day or so to keep him away from my stuff, usually works pretty well.