Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020840 times)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1400 on: September 11, 2014, 04:51:41 AM »
after my insurance win I was reviewing the cell phone bill. got new phones at the end of july. we were included in a plan that is insurance and lets us upgrade early. For $10 a month.. PER PHONE!!! we have 4 lines!!

the kids phones only cost 90 each and seem perfectly capable of doing pretty much everything our galaxy 5 phones do.. the camera isn't quite as good though.

anyway the extra is cancelled - by my estimates we can get a new phone every 2 months if we breaks them- just based on savings. Or as I put it - if you break your phone you get to use the old one we still have at home!!!

The whole phone plan will be revisited in a month or so anyway - but in the mean time I've just saved 480 a year by cancelling the insurance.

Wife has agree that we can get rid of the cable tv!!! time to look at a couple of things there and research over the air HD plus a channel or two that I want to keep.. I'll see whats out there..

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1401 on: September 11, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »
59 degrees in the house this morning.  I thought about turning on the heat but made bread and swept the floor instead.  Now I am warm and have bread rising and a clean floor.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1402 on: September 11, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
Made a smoothie with a overly ripe banana and a little frozen fruit.  I almost tossed the banana, but it was perfect for the smoothie.  No extra sweetners needed. 

I carpooled.  Signed a contract with a $4k/year pay increase (in a few months I'm accepting a new position with a much larger bump).  Started knitting a birthday present for a friend. 

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1403 on: September 11, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »
(1)  Started my fall "soup fest" -- made soup with surplus veggies before they go bad (and froze portions for later.)
(2)  Returned stuff I don't need/wasn't happy with.
(3)  Did some research and found the best place to get my flu shot -- Costco @ $9.99!!!
(4)  Happily accepted gifts of free fresh veg and fruits from friends -- sweet corn, tomatoes, raspberries...

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #1404 on: September 12, 2014, 03:24:44 AM »
Found a new hairdresser for my son that was half the price. Will save me around $4600 in the next ten years.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #1405 on: September 12, 2014, 04:22:07 AM »
one kid is doing catering classes every morning for 3 hours - they always cook something so that's lunch sorted!!
youngest is taking in sandwiches a couple of times a week now... we'll get that up to 4 days a week by the end of the school year...

had our anniversary yesterday. ate at home! Forgotten what restaurants look like....

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1406 on: September 12, 2014, 04:31:44 AM »
Oops, we just switched to a new bank account and I realised I had added a few direct debits that were paid for last month so I "found" an extra £100 or so in our new account. Nice surprise.:D

Made a smoothie with a overly ripe banana and a little frozen fruit.  I almost tossed the banana, but it was perfect for the smoothie.  No extra sweetners needed. 

I'm making a banana, cherry and apple smoothie today.:) I love them.

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1407 on: September 12, 2014, 09:03:53 AM »
I dig this thread because it contains a thousand ways (that I never would have thought up) to save dough on a daily basis.

Yesterday I whipped up a big batch of noodles with miso and veggies. Today - leftovers! Yesterday I took a bike ride to the library. Today - several books to read!

Just the smallest bit of preparation can save you time/money for days to come.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #1408 on: September 13, 2014, 08:22:08 PM »
Fought the urge to cook new food and made a BLT (minus L) and ate tomatoes/green beans from the garden. 

Passed up having an alcoholic drink (out of boredom) and went with the homemade iced tea.

Picked raspberries from the neighbor's berry patch.  They have their house for sale and have been moved out for months.  The raspberries have been staring at me through the kitchen window, begging to be picked....so I obliged.  Berries are frozen and will be an awesome treat in a cobbler during the cold months. 

cheapdad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1409 on: September 14, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »
Reallocated my 401k investments to save on fees. Dumped all mutual funds in exchange for index that tracks the s&p 500 an another that follows small and mid cap companies. Total saving: .66% in fees with no reduction in potential performance. As of my current balance that saves me $303 per year in fees alone.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1410 on: September 14, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »
Bicycled to the hardware store to get something to back my motorcycle license plate, which had nearly ripped off. $2.79 and some time spent drilling holes, vs 10$ to purchase an actual license plate backer from online, and this way I'm pretty proud of fixing it myself. And also happy with not purchasing a new license plate because it had fallen off on the road somewhere...

cheapdad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1411 on: September 14, 2014, 01:45:13 PM »
Made tacos for dinner last night. Took all the un eaten taco parts, droppings and leftovers and mixed them up. Put them in a new tortilla and had what I call taco inseption for lunch today. It's a taco inside a taco inside a taco.

cheapdad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1412 on: September 14, 2014, 01:54:10 PM »
Got a letter in the mail saying I could get a 10 dollar subway card if I got a quote from AAA for car insurance. I just left AAA for State Farm and knew they couldn't give me a better price but I called anyway and got the gift card!  Now if I need to grab dinner on the way home at some point it is paid for.  Thanks AAA.....  I'm still with State Farm.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1413 on: September 14, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »
Got a Costco membership via Living Social, picked up the card today and toured the store recording items and prices for food items.  Made homemade pizza from dough made earlier this week and supplies on hand.
Need to make a file of Costco prices.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1414 on: September 14, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
Old trousers became rags to clean tub.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #1415 on: September 15, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »
DD got a little gift from church yesterday, came wrapped in a piece of tulle.  Used the tulle to scrub the sink.  I didn't think it would work, but it did.  Rinsed out clean and ready to use again, will dry in a flash.  Also am working on eating up the house.  Made chickpea farinata from 2 year old mix-yummy.  Then as the oven was cooling down, made brownies from mixes a year old.   Hung my laundry to dry.  (my own personal laundry, everyone else used the dryer)

wild wendella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1416 on: September 15, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »
Oh dear.  I should have written here instead of creating a new post.  I'll shout out here as well.  My mom cut my hair!  She did a great job - yay mom!

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1417 on: September 15, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
@Wild wendella, compliment your mom in stead of just bragging over here ;)

As for myself, took the family boating with our underused inflatable friday and today. No cost other than getting to the canal and recharging the boat-battery afterwards. DS is still a bit young at 1.5 years to enjoy it but I'm guessing he'll come around next season.
I was surprised on Friday that the battery still held a charge, it hadn't been used in over 2 years :D

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1418 on: September 15, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »
Made applesauce with free apples collected while biking.  We cut up the apples and composted the cores and bad bits.  The rest went into a big pot with a little water and cinnamon.  Once they were soft I processed them with a stick blender to chop up the peels.  We made 9 pints!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1419 on: September 15, 2014, 03:44:45 PM »
Hung a load of laundry on my new clothesline -- yay for my hubby for doing that for me!

Cooked up a huge package of ground beef. Half went into the crockpot with sauce for tomorrow night's spaghetti dinner and half went in the freezer for a future meal. (large family, so we do eat this much in 1 meal -- plus, kids get psyched when there is actual meat in the spaghetti sauce! haha! Typically it is just veggies)

Didn't put on the air conditioner even though I was sorely tempted. Its really hot here today.

Drinking lots of water to keep cool. Later this afternoon when company comes, I will make homemade slurpees in the vitamix. They are actually a reasonable facsimile, and cost a dime for the koolaid packet at Winco and whatever a half a cup of sugar costs.

Here's the recipe: 1 packet of unsweetened koolaid (adults love the lemonade flavour-- not so fake tasting -- would be good with the addition of alcohol, just saying!), 1/2 cup of white sugar, 2 cups cold water, 2 1/2 cups of ice.  Served with a straw, it really seems like a slurpee and didn't cost me a dollar per kid. Adults and kids alike are always super impressed with these and I feel like its a little way to introduce spendthrifts to the joys of mustachianism on a very small scale.

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #1420 on: September 15, 2014, 03:48:14 PM »
Made a big, gorgeous pot of black beans, and am rolling them up in homemade tortillas with roasted chilis and tomatoes from the garden for dinner. I love fall.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1421 on: September 15, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »
Replaced my inkjet with a laser jet (saving ink costs)
Purchased the inkjet on publicsurplus.org (for $33... saving $220 over typical used price for this printer, and spending less than replacing the ink in the inkjet)
Using YouTube videos, tore open the printer completely, realigned the carousel and replaced a piece of foam on a solenoid (saving repair costs)

And... the printer came with half full cartridges... I'm not going to have to buy toner for about a year, I think...

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1422 on: September 16, 2014, 04:38:45 AM »
- I dyed the curtains for our second bedroom red and I'm about to go and iron them and hang them up. I was wondering what to use as curtain tiebacks and my hubbie suggested the black ribbon I have upstairs.:) The curtains were a weird, old granny, blue and grey chintzy colour before. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought them. Lol.

- I have leftover roasted chickpeas and rice in the fridge for lunch. I probably will add some extra veggies, tomatoes, coconut and chili powder to make a quick curry.

Made a big, gorgeous pot of black beans, and am rolling them up in homemade tortillas with roasted chilis and tomatoes from the garden for dinner. I love fall.

Ooh, yummy.:)

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #1423 on: September 16, 2014, 05:05:06 AM »
Today and yesterday I walked to and from work (4.6 miles total) and brought my lunch (tuna mayo pasta salad) and snack (a chicken drumstick) in to eat.  Also, scored a free banana from a hotel while at a meeting earlier.  :)   Trying to do a No Spend Week.

I also bought a free range chicken from Lidl at the weekend for under £5 and last night I roasted it and shredded it into 7 portions.  I plan to make a huge vat of vegetable curry and another of pesto pasta, throw in the chicken and that's lunches for the next two weeks (I am in a couple of meetings where lunch is provided over the next couple of weeks).

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1424 on: September 16, 2014, 07:29:17 AM »
I put a box of clothes in the mail for Twice today to re-sell! Also brought in my usual muffin and cold brewed coffee for breakfast. I'm out of work lunches though...it may be time to do a Trader Joes frozen meals run as I'm feeling uninspired on making bulk lunches? I don't know, or I need to get better about cooking something up ion Sundays. Made vegetable stock from trimmings last night, but don't know what I want to do with that either!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1425 on: September 16, 2014, 07:55:01 AM »
I brushed my teeth with baking soda.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1426 on: September 16, 2014, 08:17:09 AM »
After a shamefully spendy weekend I started to rehabilitate myself yesterday by going with friends to their relatively newly acquired allotment, which has lots and lots of mature fruit trees. Since they've only started gardening and weren't really prepared for anything other than eating some of the stuff, there has been a lot of waste (we brought 4 large bags of windfall apples and plums to the dump - don't get me started on why they didn't add this to their own compost pile. I did get to mention permaculture at least, which they'd never heard of, so there's some hope).  I got myself a huge bucket of apples and they are sitting at home waiting to be made into lovely stewed apple, dried apples, apple juice. Got some major cleaning to do in the kitchen this evening in preparation. Will hopefully get another bucket full in a couple of weeks again as there was one tree still fully laden but not quite ripe yet.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1427 on: September 16, 2014, 08:18:23 AM »
Pulled all the money out of my PayPal account so that I can pay shipping for my Ebay stuff with a rewards credit card instead of the PayPal balance.  Hmm, need to see if I can put my Ebay fees on the card too instead of debiting my checking...

A couple days ago, stopped by the farm stand and bought 50# of onions for $11.95.  Shouldn't need to buy onions again until May.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:20:01 AM by horsepoor »

wild wendella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1428 on: September 16, 2014, 09:43:04 AM »

I did.  I also complimented her on Facebook, so all her friends could know what an awesome mom she is. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:44:45 AM by wild wendella »

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1429 on: September 16, 2014, 10:24:24 AM »
Won a $25 Panera gift card in a raffle for employee appreciation month at my side job. Will be using this to buy lunch once a week for the next five week to save on food costs.

Fatso

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1430 on: September 16, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »
Gave myself a homemade haircut!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1431 on: September 16, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »

I did.  I also complimented her on Facebook, so all her friends could know what an awesome mom she is.

Congratulations to you for having such and excellent Mom and to her for having a daughter smart enough to appreciate her

Scored an extra coupon for two dz. eggs @ 99 cents/dz. from my friend who's mail I am getting and who won't be back in time to use it.  Now have 4 dz. eggs to use up.  Put two in the double batch of cornbread I made to go with the beans I am baking.  Baked the cornbread in the new to me silicon pan I bought at a yard sale. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:40:19 PM by 2ndTimer »

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #1432 on: September 16, 2014, 01:48:08 PM »
Realized I've never used my Airmiles.ca points and they were doing nothing but losing value annually through deflation.  At current rate, I'd never get enough to use them for a trip.  Used their site instead to spend points on a new free new vacuum cleaner.  Amazon values the Bissell at about $150.  (My old one was held together with duct tape and engine would overheat after 10 minutes of use.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1433 on: September 16, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »
A couple days ago, stopped by the farm stand and bought 50# of onions for $11.95.  Shouldn't need to buy onions again until May.

How do you store them so that they don't start sprouting? I can never keep onions (or potatoes) for very long because they sprout.

If they're newly harvested fall onions, they shouldn't sprout until spring.  I keep them in the basement in a dark closet.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1434 on: September 16, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
I cut my own hair.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1435 on: September 16, 2014, 05:51:22 PM »
  • Sorted through some things, dumped a lot of it. Found some things hidden away that I now do not have to buy.
  • Because I de-cluttered, the bookcase is now available for the stuff I actually use instead of buying another one.

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
« Reply #1436 on: September 16, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »
Wanted pizza for dinner but didn't have time to make pizza crust or run to the store for frozen crust.  I used 2 of our homemade naan for the crust instead and made personal sized pizzas with random veggies from the fridge.

Also checked my first Ting bill: $15, which is paid for by my referral credits :)  Also figured that the next 4 bills would be covered by the credits if my usage stays the same :)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1437 on: September 16, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
I had the car, which is a great novelty for me (husband took bus to work). Got all the good sales at Sprouts, then off to the "used bread" store to stock up on our favorite at a discount price (it's near expiration date--we freeze it and take out half a loaf at a time), then the post office to mail off some cloth diapers I sold online.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1438 on: September 17, 2014, 01:09:16 AM »
Didn't do much today, but at least it was still a no-spend day! Drank copious amounts of tea (homemade), cooked from scratch and tidied the house.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1439 on: September 17, 2014, 08:46:07 AM »
Picked the neighbor's tomatoes.  I am looking after her house while she is on vacation and I noticed that her tomatoes were starting to split.  Since I know she doesn't like split tomatoes, I picked them and brought them home with me

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1440 on: September 17, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »
I brought my lunch today--homemade cream of vegetable soup and a PBJ.  I would have walked to work but I slept through my alarm.  :(

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1441 on: September 17, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »
Cancelled the cable today!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1442 on: September 17, 2014, 09:24:54 AM »
- Homemade food all day. It was delicious as well even if I do say so myself.:) There is enough in the fridge for lunch and dinner tomorrow too.

- Used the tumble dryer for our clothes (to get the pet fur out) but line dried the dog's blankets.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1443 on: September 17, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
Public Hermit!!

Way to go!! That's a big one! You should post it on the Celebrations thread!

Lots of free or cheap streaming options online and library videos.

It feels good to jump off the cable train! We did it almost a year ago and haven't looked back.

boognish

• Stubble
« Reply #1444 on: September 17, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »
Filed a quick complaint with Amazon after a two day order was late, got an email from a customer service rep 30 minutes later saying they'd tack on a free month of Prime membership. Was super easy and I didn't have to talk to anyone - seems like you could get free membership indefinitely.

I bought $200 worth of Amazon gift cards at Vons (6% cash back for my Amex). Filled up at the Vons gas station in their parking lot, used my Vons points to get $1 off per gallon, PLUS I made the purchase with my Chase card to get 5% cash back!

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1445 on: September 17, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »
--Consolidated multiple trips into one to a nearby city.
--While there I prepped for an upcoming trip. Now my transportation for the road trip is pretty much guaranteed instead of the headache, anxiety and possible loss of time and money that I would have had prepping at the last minute.

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1446 on: September 17, 2014, 04:12:54 PM »
Public Hermit!!

Way to go!! That's a big one! You should post it on the Celebrations thread!

Lots of free or cheap streaming options online and library videos.

It feels good to jump off the cable train! We did it almost a year ago and haven't looked back.

Yeah, I don't think I'll miss it.

Picked up a Roku and got Netflix. Maybe I'll get an OTA antenna too for shits & giggles. I called to cancel and Comcast informed me that they will be increasing the price of my internet by $12 a month. I halfway expected some hitch like that. I was thinking of calling them again and negotiating down to the promo rate, but I don't have the social finesse to pull that off.

I also forgot that I was renting this modem for $8 a month. I'm going to get a used one on Amazon for $8 and return this one when I return the cable boxes. And I will have cut out another $8 a month! I wish I would have done this years ago. I find myself enjoying books more anyway!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1447 on: September 17, 2014, 05:31:38 PM »
My $20 OTA indoor antenna from a local electronics store picks up 5 HD channels .. its fantastic! tvfool.com will tell you how many channels you will get at your geographic location, depending on the strength of your antenna. I dream of one day putting a unit on the roof (around $150) but not right now! haha.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1448 on: September 17, 2014, 05:35:25 PM »
Today we are having Mexican lentils for dinner -- such a cheap meal! Glad to be in the shoulder season where we don't need a/c or heating. I always try to save a lot of money on the power bills at this time of year.

Made a pasta salad for lunch -- dumped some italian dressing on some leftover noodles last night so the flavours would have time to marinate.  Today we chopped up little bits of veggies, ham and cheese. It was actually delicious!

Its a little dicey trying to judge the weather and knowing whether or not to hang out the laundry on the line. Its been spitting today so I did just one load that HAD to be done and will wait for the rest -- forecast is looking up for the weekend.

g3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1449 on: September 17, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »
SO bought concert tickets for both of us a few months ago at the regular price of $30 a seat, $60 total.  Checked into Live Nation a couple days ago and saw the concert had sold out and they were going on the resale market for >$100.

Decided we'd rather put that much money towards a more enjoyable travel experience.  Listed them online, and had sold them both for $213 and a total profit of $153 in a matter of hours!