Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021024 times)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4050 on: August 15, 2015, 06:13:34 AM »
Congrats on the banana bread attempt ... how did it turn out?
Not great.  However, we've devoured about half of it.  I did get my dad's recipe, which is really good.  I hope my next attempt will be better.

My husband and I are staying in and having a few drinks at home.
My favorite banana bread recipe is this one:  http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/a-to-z-bread

It's also my favorite zucchini bread, apple bread, carrot bread, etc.  Though I prefer it baked up as muffins instead of as a larger loaf.  The loaf can sometimes turn out gooey in the middle while that never happens to the muffins.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4051 on: August 15, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »

*Had a repeat dinner of tacos -- just added more rice to the ground beef to stretch it farther.

I add beans to the taco meat, refried or whole (usually whole). Mash the whole ones in a bit if you like.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4052 on: August 15, 2015, 10:32:43 AM »

*Had a repeat dinner of tacos -- just added more rice to the ground beef to stretch it farther.

I add beans to the taco meat, refried or whole (usually whole). Mash the whole ones in a bit if you like.

We've done this for years. And now I've learned that you can make your own taco seasoning! I like Alton Brown's recipe, but that's just because I already had all the ingredients.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4053 on: August 15, 2015, 10:38:21 AM »
Took my mom to the mall and resisted all temptation and did not buy a single thing. I kept thinking, "maybe I'll get an iced tea..." and realized I just didn't need one at all. Water is free!

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4054 on: August 15, 2015, 02:37:14 PM »
Walked to the library, didn't take the bus. Win!!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4055 on: August 15, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
Cooked from scratch today, using the very last tins that were left in the pantry. Pantry challenge officially complete now, so it's time to stock up again. Have some coupons set aside for that purpose.

Scored two pair of free shoes in mint condition today, going to pick them up tomorrow in hopes they'll fit me. Found someone nearby to share my bulk bought spices with, thus enabling me to make use of low per kg prices without worrying whether I'll use it all up before it expires. Way cheaper than supermarket spices and better quality to boot.

Froze another batch of blackberries. They just keep coming, so I'll definitely harvest enough for a nice batch of blackberry port in addition to cake filling and smoothie material.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4056 on: August 15, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
Ha! I ended up making taco seasoning the other night too when my costco one ran out. I don't think I will buy it again. The homemade was as good or better than the storebought.  I used the Costco plastic spice jar and tripled the batch to fill
Up the container.

*daughter is making cookies - some to eat today, most for the freezer.

*dinner includes costco fish and marinated vegetables - got a huge box of mushrooms on clearance yesterday for 30% off.

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #4057 on: August 15, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »
I reallocated my wife's 401k to use all SSgA index funds.  ER is 2.2 basis points now.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4058 on: August 15, 2015, 07:16:08 PM »

We've done this for years. And now I've learned that you can make your own taco seasoning! I like Alton Brown's recipe, but that's just because I already had all the ingredients.

I just check the spice drawer - chili powder or cayenne, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, celery salt..... Whatever else makes sense. Beef boullion on or soup base if I have it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:28:33 AM by G-dog »

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4059 on: August 16, 2015, 06:41:23 AM »
Took a banana muffin out of the freezer and then ate it as my second breakfast. Yum.

Mixed up a loaf of a really simple no-knead bread this morning to bake this evening. Can't wait. Have been wanting to do this for ages and slowly doing things like getting a cast-iron saucepan, buying a huge packet of bread flour, buying a huge packet of yeast so it was time to stop procrastinating and just do it. It's looking good so far. Can't wait for dinner (I'm having red pork and spiced cabbage with bread - yum).

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4060 on: August 16, 2015, 08:17:53 PM »
We bought an ancient and large chest freezer 2nd hand over the weekend. The Mr and a friend went to collect it yesterday. They got it home ok but it was much heavier than the Mr had anticipated.

As a thank you gift for the friend, we regifted a very nice bottle of wine from our shelf. A visiting guest had passed it on to us the day before, having been given it as a corporate gift while he was in town but had no interest in carrying it home on the plane.

yay.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4061 on: August 16, 2015, 09:02:27 PM »
Shaved 100 euros off of my electricity bill by optimizing my floor heating (i.e.: turning the pump to low and switch it off for summer). 65 W to 35 W, 24/7 to 10 min/day. Easiest 100 euros in savings so far!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4062 on: August 16, 2015, 09:59:11 PM »
Stayed home all day.

Turned fans on the house last night and kept the A/C off all day.

Made 7 jars of pesto with basil, garlic and dried tomatoes from the garden. 

Booked hotels for an upcoming trip with a travel rewards credit card.

Repaired the steps on the back porch with scrap material to hopefully buy the old deck a couple more years before it needs to be replaced.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4063 on: August 16, 2015, 11:16:35 PM »
homehandymum, Great turn around time on regifting the wine! Clever!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4064 on: August 16, 2015, 11:31:47 PM »
My husband and I are going away for a long weekend (all covered by his impressive stash of Frequent Flyer points).

All I want to do is stretch out in a hammock and read, so I've reserved a couple of books from the library.

I've lost some of my mojo for all things Mustachian this past week or so. Not that I'm not willing, but without the time to spend on the forum and updating our numbers, my resolve wavers a bit. And I don't even want to bother with some of the things that are keeping me busy, so it's time to start saying no.

We live apart from much of our family and friends, so we end up travelling a lot to visit them. On certain sides, it's been a long time since the favour was reciprocated. We're apparently young and flexible (true), so it's easier for us to drive three hours here or four hours there for weekends. But then we find ourselves during periods like now, when we have four consecutive weekends away, then my husband overseas for a fortnight, during which I have one lot of house guests then have to travel to visit someone else.

We've prided ourselves on this in the past. We're adaptable, we're fast, efficient packers, we can be ready in no time, we're used to being away from home, we like seeing our friends and families, last year we drove from Alice Springs to Adelaide on two days' notice, over a day and a half with just four hours in Coober Pedy to get some sleep. And because we've always been that couple, people now expect it, and it's hard for us to say, 'We would actually like more than four consecutive nights in our own bed. Occasionally we'd like to be home of a weekend to buy groceries and do laundry. We'd like to remember what it's like to look forward to weekends instead of just remembering where we're going and why. We'd like you to come to us occasionally, and if you don't want to, we're ok with that too, because who actually likes house guests.'

These relationships won't fall apart if we go a few weeks or even a couple of months between visits. I'm sick of us shaping our lives around obligations to others.

(And yes, I understand that I started this post hypocritically by talking about a weekend away. We booked it months ago. Now I wish we were just staying home, but I think it will be good for us when we actually get there.)

Sorry for the incredibly off-topic vent. Normal broadcasting may now resume.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4065 on: August 17, 2015, 03:29:19 AM »
Totally understand this. What it comes down to really, I decided once, is the fact that I want to build a nice home for myself and I can't do much home-building if I'm never at home. It's about more than just having nicely decorated (haven't managed that yet), or being efficient with chores so that everything is spick and span (definitely don't manage that one yet) - for me, it's about having a bit of a routine and establishing traditions for want of a better word. So that I know on a Saturday evening I like to turn on the internet radio to Lyric FM and sit in that particular chair and read. Or that I like to go out for a walk in a nearby forest on a Sunday morning and then come back and tune in to Sunshine Radio while getting a few household chores done and preparing a nice leisurely brunch at a nicely laid table. I think it's important for me to have those moments at home and it's probably even more important if you have a partner/family around, too. That's not to say that I can't be flexible and don't enjoy visiting other people - but it definitely works better (for me) if that's the exception rather than the rule.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4066 on: August 17, 2015, 06:25:27 AM »
It's the day before payday, and I put my last remaining $18 into my savings account.

Made ah-mazing pumpkin, carrot and coconut milk soup, and mini broccoli and corn quiches for work lunches

Found that my rechargeable toothbrush will last 10 days or so between charges, so I haven't left it plugged in

PawPrint53

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4067 on: August 17, 2015, 07:57:33 AM »
Switched to a different Republic Wireless plan that refunds money if you don't use a lot of data. Got a $12.05 refund so the charge this month for two cell phones was $29. New plan lowered the bill by about $20.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #4068 on: August 17, 2015, 09:26:48 AM »
Fixed another pair of sneakers with the tube of Shoe Goo I got last year.  ...It's the gift that just keeps on giving.  :D

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4069 on: August 17, 2015, 02:05:28 PM »
Not today, but last week.  Bought a very limited item for $240 bucks and sold it for $865 1 day later.

This paid for my 11 month home inspection, $200 dollars for my side income that generates $7-$10k per year net, and I have some money left over.  Pretty happy about this.

I also sold $500 item.  I did splurge and got some Taco Bell on Saturday tho.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:11:02 PM by Easye418 »

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4070 on: August 17, 2015, 09:14:26 PM »
I have been saving these up for a few weeks:

--Lost my fitness tracker, and before I gave up and ordered a new one, called the one person I knew where I thought I might have lost it. Sure enough, it had been found. (I generally have terrible luck with lost things and never find them.)

--In completing the annual HSA paperwork (we are coming up on deadline), discovered that one doctor's office owed me $275. Jumped through several more hoops to get prescription paperwork so I could get every penny out of the account.

--Broke the bedroom lamp but found another lamp in the closet I could put in that spot.

--Glued a pair of bluetooth headphones I use while swimming instead of replacing.

--Made a fruit crisp to use up fruit wilting in the refrigerator.

--Currently working on replacing a clock movement instead of replacing the whole clock.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4071 on: August 17, 2015, 09:21:59 PM »
No spend day today! And I watered my herbs, and I will thin them tomorrow. Having fresh cilantro, basil, and chives will save some money but most importantly is great nutrition.

Used some green onions. Definitely not all of them, but a few. I'm hoping to not have them go bad before I use them.

DH got a new CC which will give us 6% back at grocery stores and 3% on gas (up to $6,000 in sales). Since we spend lots on food and gas, this'll be great. It has a $75/yr fee, but there's $150 bonus after a spending minimum, so that covers the first 2 years. Year 3 and beyond, it functionally becomes 4.75% back with the fee and the limit (IIRC DH's math).

I picked more volunteer tomatoes. Pounds of free cherry tomatoes? Awesome!

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #4072 on: August 17, 2015, 09:47:38 PM »
Cut off a skin tag instead of going to the dr. for it. Pretty easy to do.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4073 on: August 17, 2015, 09:48:45 PM »
Cut off a skin tag instead of going to the dr. for it. Pretty easy to do.

Curious how this went? I imagine it'd bleed quite a lot?

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #4074 on: August 17, 2015, 09:52:09 PM »
It didn't hurt much at all, but yeah it bled for a few minutes. No big deal though. It stopped. I really thought it would hurt more.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #4075 on: August 18, 2015, 04:11:16 AM »
*Shopped at a little hole-in-the-wall produce market. We had just been to the regular grocery store (Real Canadian Superstore) where apples were $1.69/lb, peaches were $1.59/lb and bananas were 65 cents/lb.  I had seen this little ad in the local paper about this market and the prices were so much better: apples for 69 cents/lb, peaches for 59 cents/lb and bananas for 55 cent/lb. I don't understand how they can charge so much more??? Highway robbery!

Man, stores charge a huge markup on fresh produce (in part because of spoilage/waste, in part because they can). I think I mentioned in another thread being in a grocery store when the cilantro (which the store was selling for a reasonable dollar a bunch) came in. Store paid the guy seven bucks for a case of a hundred bunches. So there's lots of room for indie stores to compete on price. Especially if you happen to be in Ontario, where the Food Terminal levels the playing field for small business.

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #4076 on: August 18, 2015, 09:17:24 AM »
Started making overnight oats for my hubby, our three year old and myself to eat in the morning instead of our usual's.

Usually I would eat a quest bar (they seem to be the only thing that keep me full till lunch and I am trying to lose weight) at $3 each. My hubby would eat Kashi Go Lean at $9 for about 10 days. My son is gluten free and his gluten free cereal is $5 for 5 days.

So breakfast went from $60 a month to about $15 as I like to add some flax seed and hemp hearts for extra nutrition.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #4077 on: August 18, 2015, 09:28:02 AM »
Started making overnight oats for my hubby, our three year old and myself to eat in the morning instead of our usual's.

Usually I would eat a quest bar (they seem to be the only thing that keep me full till lunch and I am trying to lose weight) at $3 each. My hubby would eat Kashi Go Lean at $9 for about 10 days. My son is gluten free and his gluten free cereal is $5 for 5 days.

So breakfast went from $60 a month to about $15 as I like to add some flax seed and hemp hearts for extra nutrition.

Oats have gluten.  The mnemonic for gluten I use is "BROW"  Barley, Rye, Oats, and Wheat.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4078 on: August 18, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »

Oats have gluten.  The mnemonic for gluten I use is "BROW"  Barley, Rye, Oats, and Wheat.

You can get certified gluten-free oats. The issue is they are often made on equipment that processes gluten-containing grains. Oats themselves do not contain gluten, which is why you cannot get a bread to rise out of oat flour.

ETA: sorry, not rise, but elasticity/stretch/crumb structure. You don't get the gluteny stickyness lol.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:44:04 AM by Bracken_Joy »

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #4079 on: August 18, 2015, 10:50:48 AM »

You can get certified gluten-free oats. The issue is they are often made on equipment that processes gluten-containing grains. Oats themselves do not contain gluten, which is why you cannot get a bread to rise out of oat flour.

ETA: sorry, not rise, but elasticity/stretch/crumb structure. You don't get the gluteny stickyness lol.

Good to know!

jordanread

« Reply #4080 on: August 18, 2015, 10:55:06 AM »

Until I read Michael Pollan's Cooked (great book by the way), I didn't even make the connection between rising and gluten. Honestly, even though I usually eat relatively 'primally', the section on bread and gluten really made me like it. Highly suggested read.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4081 on: August 18, 2015, 11:03:36 AM »

Until I read Michael Pollan's Cooked (great book by the way), I didn't even make the connection between rising and gluten. Honestly, even though I usually eat relatively 'primally', the section on bread and gluten really made me like it. Highly suggested read.

It's on my to do list for sure! Reading "The Botany of Desire" in high school literally changed my goals and priorities for life. I found a passion for science and agriculture I didn't know I had. He's a big reason I ended up going to college, to be totally honest.

Michael Pollan is bomb-diggity.

jordanread

« Reply #4082 on: August 18, 2015, 11:15:20 AM »
It's on my to do list for sure! Reading "The Botany of Desire" in high school literally changed my goals and priorities for life. I found a passion for science and agriculture I didn't know I had. He's a big reason I ended up going to college, to be totally honest.

Michael Pollan is bomb-diggity.

I was not a fan of "A Place of My Own" (he's much better at food stuff), and the potato section definitely made me question humanity's role in evolution. It was disappointing in the big picture, but quite enlightening. The only thing of his I haven't read was "In Defense of Food".  I'm going to suggest moving this discussion to the "Book Club" though.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4083 on: August 18, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »
The Hub is taking me along on a business trip to Chicago for four days.  I stuck four granola bars and an empty water bottle into my purse.  I WILL NOT pay for airport food.  Full disclosure:  I am budgeting in a cup of airport coffee for each of us.  It is not worth juggling our insulated cups and thermos like we do on car trips.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4084 on: August 18, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »
I turned down the hot water heater in my empty house.  (I live in the smaller building on the back of the lot, and the main house is empty, as I contemplate whether to rent it out again.)

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4085 on: August 18, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »
Instead of buying a branded Pre-Workout supplement, I purchase the main ingredients and will save a fortune in the long run instead of $50 dollars every 2-3 months.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #4086 on: August 18, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »
Finally bit the bullet and bought groceries, instead of eating out. A little less than $100 for August.

SONKEV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4087 on: August 18, 2015, 12:34:53 PM »
Instead of buying a branded Pre-Workout supplement, I purchase the main ingredients and will save a fortune in the long run instead of $50 dollars every 2-3 months.

What main ingredients are you talking about?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4088 on: August 18, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »

Meth?

jordanread

« Reply #4089 on: August 18, 2015, 01:18:27 PM »

Meth?

I hear that works wonders for motivating people. For me, it does damn near nothing.

That being said, my SO drinks No-Xplode all the time. We call it crack. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4090 on: August 18, 2015, 01:34:55 PM »
Apparently by baking and toasting my own bread - and topping with garden produce - I saved about 10.00 for breakfast. I can't wrap my head around the "Artisanal toast" craze  mentioned in the $12.00 Sandwich thread. http://www.eater.com/2014/5/30/6215971/artisanal-toast-is-taking-the-nation-by-storm

On my way outside to pick some more cherry tomatoes for dinner. I had no idea one single plant could produce so.so. much. They are selling in the store for 4.99 for a tiny container.

Hubby priced out Kimchi in the store and told me this morning we are saving on average, $12.00 with each batch I make.

Discovered our pup likes eating the spongy insides of zucchini - yay for not having to buy dog treats for a while!

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #4091 on: August 18, 2015, 02:29:13 PM »

Meth?

sorry i don't know what you guys are talking about

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4092 on: August 18, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
1. Biked to kmart, got a free shirt using points I earned from biking.
2. Stopped at kroger to use a coupon to get free protein shakes which I'll use as coffee cream.
3. Got a coupon for a free loaf of bread from the magic coupon machine at the register.
4. Went out to my bike - and found a full shopping cart of returnable cans. Asked at customer service if they minded if I cashed them in, since it looked abandoned. Got $19.30 in cash back.
5. Came home, made 6 quarts of apricot jam from a case of apricots I got for 75¢ and some pectin and sugar I got free from kmart in previous trips. Accidentally ran one pit through the vitamix so it's dangerjam, but let's not talk about that.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4093 on: August 18, 2015, 06:27:50 PM »
I made a watch band!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4094 on: August 18, 2015, 11:37:14 PM »
  • I used a 10 percent off coupon to buy something at Petco.
  • I got a $10 giftcard for purchasing two boxes of pull-ups at Target. The box's promised $35 of Procter & Gamble coupons were missing, so I called the P&G customer service number on the box and the gal said she would send $35 of Pampers coupons in replacement.
  • Tried a new barber for my boys today. He costs drastically less than our old place, is closer and has free parking. We usually just shave their heads at home, but a professional haircut seemed in order for back-to-school and an upcoming visit to the grandparents.
  • Got one of the fancy Belkin energy-saving outlets with timer for charging my cell phone overnight without wastefully drawing power for 9 hours when it only needs 3 to charge: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Socket-Energy-Saving-F7C009/dp/B003P2UMS0
  • Spent $15 at Goodwill on a dress and shoes for a party and the reviews were very positive and I felt great. (I was supposed to go to the mall and spent wantonly, but the consumer-sensory overload in the clothing shops is just Too Much for me.)
  • Won a FitBit in a free raffle at the party!
  • Been watching Save My Life and Boston EMS for free on the non-sub version of Hulu. Started watching Catastrophe on Amazon, using an existing Amazon Prime benefit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:56:42 PM by jengod »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4095 on: August 19, 2015, 12:33:22 AM »
* Made plans to stop and visit relatives for lunch while in a town about an hour from home = money saved and happy relatives!

* Set a/c higher than usual (really shouldn't have turned it on at all -- thermal adaptation fail)

* Cooked a nice dinner with meat thawing in the fridge from yesterday. I find if I thaw the meat a full day before I need it, I'm less inclined to wimp out on cooking dinner and hitting up a drive thru.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4096 on: August 19, 2015, 03:20:23 AM »
Found a penny*, picked it up.

*Okay, it was a cent, we don't have pennies anymore

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4097 on: August 19, 2015, 03:42:03 AM »
Coordinated a lift to sports practise with a new teammate who lives close by. I will need to repay the favour next week but if I can make this a regular thing I can split this travel (20km round trip once a week) in half.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4098 on: August 19, 2015, 06:00:49 AM »
Yesterday I had an amazing Craigslist experience: we went to pick up an office chair that a person was selling for $15. This person turned out to be a nice lady who was cleaning out her hoarder mother's house. She told us to look around and if there was anything else we wanted we could take it for free; she just wanted everything gone. We walked out of there with the office chair, a Dyson vacuum cleaner (!!), 2 folding chairs, 7 rolls of wrapping paper, some playing cards, a ceramic pitcher, some notecards, a wrench, and a copy of Animal Farm.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4099 on: August 19, 2015, 06:29:41 AM »
Yesterday I had an amazing Craigslist experience: we went to pick up an office chair that a person was selling for $15. This person turned out to be a nice lady who was cleaning out her hoarder mother's house. She told us to look around and if there was anything else we wanted we could take it for free; she just wanted everything gone. We walked out of there with the office chair, a Dyson vacuum cleaner (!!), 2 folding chairs, 7 rolls of wrapping paper, some playing cards, a ceramic pitcher, some notecards, a wrench, and a copy of Animal Farm.

Niice! That's what we need, a meetup group that matches exasperated family members of hoarders and MMM people.