Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020666 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5400 on: January 20, 2016, 06:38:48 PM »
Parked on the street instead of in the "official" parking lot for the pediatric dentist. Saved ~$8.

Despite being told "No, the new company doesn't offer dental coverage," poking around on our health insurance revealed that they DID appear to bundle in pediatric dental insurance. Receptionist called in with our numbers and found out we are fully covered! Saved ~$250-300 out of pocket for the two kids. Yay!

Thank the ACA.  Pediatric dental and vision coverage is now mandatory.

It's like living in a real First World Country, you guys!!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5401 on: January 21, 2016, 06:44:47 AM »
Parked on the street instead of in the "official" parking lot for the pediatric dentist. Saved ~$8.

Despite being told "No, the new company doesn't offer dental coverage," poking around on our health insurance revealed that they DID appear to bundle in pediatric dental insurance. Receptionist called in with our numbers and found out we are fully covered! Saved ~$250-300 out of pocket for the two kids. Yay!

Next up: medications, therapy, and massages covered by your insurance. ;)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5402 on: January 21, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »

If only....

Hopefully one of these days.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5403 on: January 21, 2016, 08:14:42 AM »

If only....

Quebec. This is pretty standard for employer insurance. My insurance is actually considered to be really crappy here because it 'only' covers 400$/year of massages and 400$/year of therapy. Also private insurances need to match the (obligatory if you don't have any other insurance) provincial drug plan... which has a maximum payment of under 90$/month. You need 1K of meds per month? Your cancer treatment costs 5K/month? No problem. 90 bucks.

Oh, and for the record, this level of private insurance for my entire family costs 94$/month.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:16:18 AM by Kitsune »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5404 on: January 21, 2016, 08:22:29 AM »

If only....

Quebec. This is pretty standard for employer insurance. My insurance is actually considered to be really crappy here because it 'only' covers 400$/year of massages and 400$/year of therapy. Also private insurances need to match the (obligatory if you don't have any other insurance) provincial drug plan... which has a maximum payment of under 90$/month. You need 1K of meds per month? Your cancer treatment costs 5K/month? No problem. 90 bucks.

Oh, and for the record, this level of private insurance for my entire family costs 94$/month.

My girlfriend is in Alberta - I think she gets 12 massages a year? I forget. Infinitely more than what my insurance provides here in the States (i.e. none). :)

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5405 on: January 21, 2016, 11:29:47 AM »
Today I went for the little groceries I need with a list and during lunch break just with a shopping bag.

Results:
- I buy less if I have to carry it instead of pull my little cart.
- I decided to pick up only half of what was on the list because some of the items weren't on sale and it wasn't an immediate NEED.
- Walked out with $20 paid and $5 cash back in reward points.
- If I can stay away from stores this weekend, this will be all I need for the rest of the week. Yay!

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #5406 on: January 21, 2016, 12:39:53 PM »
Used polyfill from the Buy Nothing group to restuff our sagging couch cushions. Couch is still looking pretty rough thanks to our cats, but at least it's comfortable now!

I save our old bed pillows for this.  Really helps when the cushions are super saggy on our old sofa.  I keep adding them, they sag, I add some more old pillows.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5407 on: January 21, 2016, 12:44:58 PM »
Used polyfill from the Buy Nothing group to restuff our sagging couch cushions. Couch is still looking pretty rough thanks to our cats, but at least it's comfortable now!

I save our old bed pillows for this.  Really helps when the cushions are super saggy on our old sofa.  I keep adding them, they sag, I add some more old pillows.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

OMG. Using old pillows as stuffing instead of buying stuffing. WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS. I have old pillows, and I'd been holding off on buying stuffing for a craft project because I thought it was overpriced! BRILLIANT. Thank you so much!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5408 on: January 21, 2016, 01:45:49 PM »
Buy Nothing Day.  :)

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5409 on: January 21, 2016, 02:11:57 PM »
Buy Nothing Day.  :)

CONGRATS!!! Those are the best :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5410 on: January 21, 2016, 04:24:51 PM »
* Used a mesh laundry bag to dry greens instead of buying a new $30 plastic salad spinner.

* Collected a bag of OPL (other people's leaves) to use as fresh bedding for the chicken coop.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5411 on: January 22, 2016, 02:41:40 AM »
It's a Buy Nothing Day for me too.

I got some cashback this morning, only £4 but every little helps.

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #5412 on: January 22, 2016, 03:33:47 AM »
A collegue let me know that the chef puts out the left over pastries in the afternoon when the canteen closes cause he cant sell them anymore. Talked to the chef and he said i can take what I want. So I got dinner for free! Have to check more often now.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5413 on: January 22, 2016, 07:17:30 AM »
* Used a mesh laundry bag to dry greens instead of buying a new $30 plastic salad spinner.

* Collected a bag of OPL (other people's leaves) to use as fresh bedding for the chicken coop.

Oh I love this!! What a great idea!!

And as you mention it: my mom used clean kitchen towels, wrapped salad in and shook the towel vigorously. That was our salad spinner. No need for an extra plastic gadget!

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5414 on: January 22, 2016, 08:00:32 AM »
This is a big thing rather than a small thing, but since I got the idea from a MMM thread, I must share.  We went for orthodontist referral for my almost 7 year old.  He (of course) proposed a Phase 1 of expander plus partial braces, likely followed by full braces when she's older.  I'm really not sure I buy into this phase 1 and phase 2 business.  Back in the day we didn't expand, we just pulled teeth!  But I'm really not an expert in this area. 
Anyway, Phase 1 estimate is $3200, phase 2 probably $4500.  Yikes.  After reading a thread on ortho services I decided to call our local dental college.  I will be able to visit them and get an evaluation in March.  Services provided there are about 50% less than private practice cost...... This could be some really huge savings!  Even though it means a 30 drive in traffic vs. 10 minutes to the private practice guy. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5415 on: January 22, 2016, 08:24:01 AM »

And as you mention it: my mom used clean kitchen towels, wrapped salad in and shook the towel vigorously. That was our salad spinner. No need for an extra plastic gadget!

My mom used a salad spinner. I wanted one, too. After putting off this purchase for probably a year, I finally found what I was looking for: The same kind my mom had, half-price at Goodwill for $1!

Mesh laundry bags are awesome in the dishwasher, too. You can wash cookie cutters in them, for instance!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5416 on: January 22, 2016, 09:22:47 AM »

My mom used a salad spinner. I wanted one, too. After putting off this purchase for probably a year, I finally found what I was looking for: The same kind my mom had, half-price at Goodwill for $1!

Mesh laundry bags are awesome in the dishwasher, too. You can wash cookie cutters in them, for instance!

Life improvement right there, thanks.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5417 on: January 22, 2016, 09:28:44 AM »
Will paint rooms in the house myself. Savings - enormous: contractors ask for $450+ per mid-size room + paint. Only expenses are paint, trays, paint rolls/brushes, beer, my weekend time. I'm good at painting walls so it will be an easy job

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5418 on: January 22, 2016, 09:46:20 AM »
Cut my own hair! Bzzzzzzzzz.
And then awkwardly got a co-worker to snip off the weird chuck on the back of my head I missed... >_>;; Go team?

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5419 on: January 22, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »
Another no spending day! Woot woot!

- no starbucks (saved $2)
- brought breakfast, snacks and lunch to work (saved $14 or so)
- walked to work and back
- dinner will be at home tonight (another $10 or so) and oh...
- since my dog is officially a service dog since October I get to bring him to work. No more $25 dog walker fees.

Saved today: over 50 bucks
Happy camper!

Harvestqueen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5420 on: January 22, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »
Today I picked up a cabbage, oranges and potatoes someone from my local Mommy Freecycle group was giving away. It was 2 bags full of perfect produce! I did the rest of my shopping at Costco where dairy is cheaper than the local grocery stores. This evening my husband and I will be taking our son to the local museum for an outing because it is Free Friday :-)

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5421 on: January 22, 2016, 04:50:36 PM »
Today I picked up a cabbage, oranges and potatoes someone from my local Mommy Freecycle group was giving away. It was 2 bags full of perfect produce! I did the rest of my shopping at Costco where dairy is cheaper than the local grocery stores. This evening my husband and I will be taking our son to the local museum for an outing because it is Free Friday :-)

awesome harvest I'd say!!! Well done!!!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5422 on: January 22, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »
Having dinner tonight with a large group of friends.  In order to avoid issues when it is time to pay the bill, I have already looked at the menu online, figured out my costs and have exact cash ready to go.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5423 on: January 23, 2016, 06:34:20 AM »
I have a ton of apples that I can buy cheaply from the local orchard.  Getting together with friends, two of whom are spendier than I am.  We agreed that I could bring dessert and spend less on the take out part of the meal.  Two of my three friends are very spendy.  So, I'm glad I'll be saving money there.  Originally they wanted take out from a more expensive place and I convinced them otherwise, so I'm considering this a win.  You know, until they determine that I'm their beer store brand soda budget friend.  ;)

I've had very little food waste this month.  For lunch I will be eating up a rather eclectic mix of leftovers to waste even less.

I'm thinking of doing a no spend week starting Monday. I may even be able to pull off a no spend February. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5424 on: January 23, 2016, 07:17:36 AM »
This morning I'm sending off evidence to Texas that it was NOT my car using some random toll road in Texas, which I received a bill for.  Probably not even a savings considering I have to waste a stamp after going to the DMV to get documentation that my license plate has never been on a Silver F-150 (at least the DMV here rocks and there is almost no wait time).  All for a $2.56 bill.  Getting that erroneous bill kinda' raised my hackles though and I wanted to put it to bed.

Submitted online for a $15 rebate on my dog's meds.  Much better return on that than the toll bill.  :)

Refreshed my Craigslist ads and negotiated with a potential buyer on my espresso machine.  Hopefully she'll bite.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5425 on: January 23, 2016, 12:03:43 PM »
I have a ton of apples that I can buy cheaply from the local orchard.  Getting together with friends, two of whom are spendier than I am.  We agreed that I could bring dessert and spend less on the take out part of the meal.  Two of my three friends are very spendy.  So, I'm glad I'll be saving money there.  Originally they wanted take out from a more expensive place and I convinced them otherwise, so I'm considering this a win.  You know, until they determine that I'm their beer store brand soda budget friend.  ;)

I've had very little food waste this month.  For lunch I will be eating up a rather eclectic mix of leftovers to waste even less.

I'm thinking of doing a no spend week starting Monday. I may even be able to pull off a no spend February.

Well done!! Congrats!
It's a challenge to do something fun and cheap if you have friends who are spendy. Takes a lot of organization skill I find.
And yay for little food waste!

How are you planning to do a whole month without spending?? Not even milk?

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5426 on: January 23, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »

Well done!! Congrats!
It's a challenge to do something fun and cheap if you have friends who are spendy. Takes a lot of organization skill I find.

We would need milk too. I can make bread, but milk is another matter. I suppose if you use dry milk or other shelf-stable versions. Or don't use milk.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5427 on: January 23, 2016, 12:34:38 PM »

Well done!! Congrats!

We would need milk too. I can make bread, but milk is another matter. I suppose if you use dry milk or other shelf-stable versions. Or don't use milk.

True. I've used almond milk in the past (the refrigerated kind) and it keeps a good 3 weeks.
Keep us in the loop !!!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5428 on: January 23, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »

Well done!! Congrats!

You can make almond milk! You could make sure you had enough almonds in stock at the beginning of the month :-). I've never tried it but it's a thing.

True. I've used almond milk in the past (the refrigerated kind) and it keeps a good 3 weeks.
Keep us in the loop !!!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5429 on: January 23, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »

Well done!! Congrats!

You can make almond milk! You could make sure you had enough almonds in stock at the beginning of the month :-). I've never tried it but it's a thing.

Keep us in the loop !!!

Or rice milk. Dead easy to make:

http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/09/do-it-yourself-homemade-rice-milk.html

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5430 on: January 23, 2016, 02:30:30 PM »
So today was another stay up on the mountain all day kind of day. Unfortunately, we had to stay here - staring out at the unnatural hard water all over the ground and trees. Ice is for tea, I say. It doesn't fall from the sky.

That shit ain't right.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5431 on: January 23, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »

Well done!! Congrats!

Keep us in the loop !!!

Making Almond milk is a bit of a hassle since one needs a cloth to strain it through. But rice milk or hemp milk is super easy and doesnt require straining. I have made hemp milk in the past and really all you need is water, hemp seeds and a blender.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5432 on: January 23, 2016, 07:02:30 PM »
So today was another stay up on the mountain all day kind of day. Unfortunately, we had to stay here - staring out at the unnatural hard water all over the ground and trees. Ice is for tea, I say. It doesn't fall from the sky.

That shit ain't right.

Heh. I'm under 2+ feet of snow after living in Phoenix for 4 years...I know the feeling.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5433 on: January 23, 2016, 07:06:15 PM »
Boiled a whole chicken, pulled the meat off the bones, froze some of it for later, and am now cooking down the bones for stock.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5434 on: January 23, 2016, 08:49:26 PM »
Yesterday: Was supposed to go out for a drink with my boss after work and she ended up buying me dinner (and telling me how useful our conversation was to her). And I took home leftovers. Two free meals (and wine).

Today: Spent $0 being snowed in. Spent a lot of time relaxing, but also did some productive things: made chicken soup from scratch with leftover chicken/homemade stock/frozen veg; made a dinner salad with rest of leftover chicken and some walnuts I had in the freezer; made some pinto beans in the new Instant Pot. Also gave myself a haircut.

Now I'm going to go listen to some music I bought last weekend for $3 under what they were selling it for at the merch table, via an unlikely series of events involving running into someone at Winter Jazzfest, mentioning that I was planning to buy a CD, and he just happened to have, under his chair, an entire box of that exact avant chamber jazz album, which he was willing to sell me on the spot. I think it is safe to say the odds are against me ever saving $3 that way again.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #5435 on: January 23, 2016, 09:42:46 PM »

OMG. Using old pillows as stuffing instead of buying stuffing. WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS. I have old pillows, and I'd been holding off on buying stuffing for a craft project because I thought it was overpriced! BRILLIANT. Thank you so much!

You're so welcome!  For the sofa, I don't even take the stuffing out.  I just stick the whole pillow in there.  I still remember when I thought of this idea three years ago - I was so proud of myself, LOL.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #5436 on: January 24, 2016, 01:58:34 AM »
Cancelled Amazon Prime. Only reason I knew it was renewing was that they tried to bill my credit card and it was out of date. If you don't want yours to autorenew go change the setting. I resent anything that autorenews without my explicit permission anyway.

I won't be consuming enough to save $99 on free shipping and don't use the other benefits as much as I thought I would.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5437 on: January 24, 2016, 07:27:50 AM »
Cancelled Amazon Prime. Only reason I knew it was renewing was that they tried to bill my credit card and it was out of date. If you don't want yours to autorenew go change the setting. I resent anything that autorenews without my explicit permission anyway.

I won't be consuming enough to save $99 on free shipping and don't use the other benefits as much as I thought I would.

I also canceled mine last year.  However my dad still has Amazon Prime to watch movies, so he's added 4 family members (including me) to his membership.  Effectively we're each getting Prime for $20/year.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5438 on: January 24, 2016, 08:16:38 AM »
I ate things out of the refrigerator that I didn't really want to eat but that turned out pretty delicious. 

Cancelled my trial of Showtime before Amazon billed me.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5439 on: January 24, 2016, 10:00:51 AM »
Had a no shop week apart from a jug of orange juice and have been using up pantry and fridge items, precooking for next week:

- milk, half and half, arborio rice, frozen berries for rice pudding (breakfasts next week),
- flour, overdue dried fruit, yeast and a bit of sugar for home made raisin-cherry-cranberry bread (yumm)
- stale bread and kaiser buns, milk, half and half, eggs, vanilla and some sugar for home made bread pudding (breakfast/dessert next week)

Freezer is full with lunches and potential dinners so there wont be any grocery shopping until Thu/Fri at least.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5440 on: January 24, 2016, 03:20:29 PM »
I canceled my Costco membership today -- my roommates have memberships so I don't need it anymore.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #5441 on: January 24, 2016, 03:46:02 PM »
I went on a date for coffee and DIDN'T rush as usual to pay the bill. Eventually he picked it up and paid my coffee. Very nice of him and very nice for me since I stuck to my no spend weekend. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5442 on: January 24, 2016, 03:59:04 PM »
'Praise the Sun!" - opened all the curtains in the house to take advantage if the sun and heat coming in the window for our first sunny day in a while.

Have spent the weekend organizing pantry and food storage. Will not have to buy spices or tea for a very long time. At least we know what we have now :)

Went to a "Holistic Health Care"  for pets course, didn't learn too much, but identified several things I do which there seems to be a need/market for in the area. Side hustle? Will have to think on this...

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5443 on: January 24, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »
I spent time today unsubscribing from various shops emails, this will save me money as I wont see good deals and bargains and end up online shopping for things I do not need.

Also it will clear out my inbox of half the junk and stop me receiving SO many emails, and I like a clutter free inbox

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5444 on: January 24, 2016, 06:12:40 PM »
Sold a juicer on Craigslist.  I snagged it on clearance for $100 and flipped it for $150, so $44 made after sales tax, or $150 made as compared to keeping it for myself, which I did contemplate for a week or two.

Used leftover chicken to make chicken salad for work lunches with homemade mayo from a homegrown egg and green onions that were starting to look not so fresh.  Also made up breakfasts for the week from homemade yogurt with whey protein and frozen berries I'm trying to use up.

I didn't do it, but the hens have started producing again, so hoping I don't have to buy eggs again for several months.

Slowly scanning family photos rather than paying someone to do it like I've been tempted  to.

Trimmed my horses' feet.  2 trims x $40 for a professional job = $80 saved

Begonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5445 on: January 24, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »
Instead of buying a new pair of clogs since mine are scuffed up and more than a few years old, I bought some black shoe polish at Walgreens for $5.99 and polished 'em up like (almost) new. They're work shoes so I feel spiffier now. Also discovered I had a bonus weather treatment spray in my shoe-stuff bag, so gave 'em a spray to weather this El Nino winter. Savings of $120.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5446 on: January 24, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »
Food waste: Added water to applesauce jar to loosen up the last bits stuck to the sides and then used that as the water for our overnight oatmeal.

Found a penny and recyclable bottles worth $0.30 on morning walk.

Found a bracelet of red wooden beads while gently guerrilla gardening a weird patch in our neighborhood. (Gentle because the patch sits atop a pipeline so no deep digging!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5447 on: January 25, 2016, 05:24:38 AM »
From this weekend: cut DH's hair and redeemed another .25 from IBotta. 

NewMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5448 on: January 25, 2016, 05:29:35 AM »
Oh, nearly forgot - while we keep the door open to the unused (until baby #2 comes in June!) bedroom and the blinds up during the day to take advantage of the sun, started keeping it closed during the night to save on heating costs.  We're on the waiting list for an energy audit through our utility, but I suspect that room needs insulation, it's much colder than other areas of the house. 

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #5449 on: January 25, 2016, 06:36:30 AM »
Took the sludge that's left at the bottom of a solid tuna can after dumping out the tuna and fed it to the cat instead of throwing it out with the can. Happy cat, less stinky trash. With compounding, second million saved by 3016.