Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020700 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #7000 on: September 06, 2016, 08:19:42 PM »
Drove a little farther out of town to buy hay for $5 a bale instead of $7 a bale.  Worth it for 40 bales, and I got a free workout as well.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7001 on: September 06, 2016, 08:41:05 PM »
Took the bus to and from work today.  No car trips today. 

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #7002 on: September 06, 2016, 09:24:36 PM »
My friend gave me 14 tomatoes from her garden and I made tomato sauce. All the spices were from my herb garden too!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7003 on: September 07, 2016, 04:13:54 AM »
Line dried washing.

I got some cashback.

Eating leftovers.

:)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7004 on: September 07, 2016, 07:18:45 AM »
-Returned library books the day before late fees applied
-Have been putting off purchasing dresses for a wedding and another event (too different to wear the same dress unfortunately) as I was dreading spending the money. Found an okay dress for $49, decided against  it and tried Goodwill instead- found two perfect, flattering dresses for $16 total.
-passing by the market they had an excess of spinach marked way down (85% off)- bought 10 bags for freezing to add into smoothies.
-Followed up on an outstanding tax rebate- they've said it'll be finalised this week- yay, $2k in the bank!
-resisted the urge to eat out for lunch, instead added pasta to leftover sauce.
-cut my own hair + DS hair, and the dogs nails.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7005 on: September 07, 2016, 07:43:53 AM »
Took the kids out for dinner yesterday, a special treat to celebrate the first day of school -- went to a restaurant running a "kids eat free" promotion every Tuesday so only my wife and I had to pay for our meals.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7006 on: September 07, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »
Canned about 30 pints of soup.  Planning to can more salsa tonight.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7007 on: September 07, 2016, 01:31:36 PM »
Harvested sorrel and borage greens for the chickens.

Harvested comfrey to mulch a planting bed.

Harvested an eggplant, a zucchini, little tomatoes, blackberries and two hidden-nest chicken eggs* for the humans.

* Hidden-egg chicken eggs to be tested for freshness before consumption.

jordanread

« Reply #7008 on: September 07, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »
Hidden-egg chicken eggs to be tested for freshness before consumption.

Oh I love that issue. If you eat them, and don't get sick, you are good. If you eat them, and do get sick...things get weird. But eat them!! :)

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #7009 on: September 07, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »

Oh I love that issue. If you eat them, and don't get sick, you are good. If you eat them, and do get sick...things get weird. But eat them!! :)

Putting the egg in water and seeing how it sits on the bottom/if it floats is a pretty sound way to confirm freshness and if its good for consumption.  If it floats, do not eat!

farmerj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7010 on: September 07, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »
Noticed the local Whole Foods had a couple of blueberry bushes behind it, sitting next to the dumpster. Remembered that last week they'd been sitting out front, looking steadily sorrier. Went inside, asked management if I could pay $10 for the lot ($40 at last week's prices), and was told "If they're out there we've already written them off, and dumpster diving is fine by me."

So now I'm... er... off to Home Depot to buy peat moss for use as a soil amendment. Partial win!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7011 on: September 07, 2016, 04:22:07 PM »

Putting the egg in water and seeing how it sits on the bottom/if it floats is a pretty sound way to confirm freshness and if its good for consumption.  If it floats, do not eat!

They can also rot in the shell when they're sitting out in the heat.  We've had three bad, stinky eggs in the last couple weeks from our backyard hens.  So crack each one separately.  Don't do what I did, crack them directly into the pan and have the third one in ruin the whole pan of eggs (umm, last one in WAS the rotten egg!).

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #7012 on: September 08, 2016, 09:51:58 AM »
Today:
*Got a refund online for a mistaken purchase (too button happy)
*Eating what we have instead of buying more
*Made my own chocolate with ingredients on hand
*Spent a while trying to locate a textbook instead of buying it again.  No luck but have thought of two new places to look.

Ongoing:
*Water heater is still off
*No debit card/cash use so all expenses go on air miles card
*Drying clothes on line

Recently:
*Spent some more time examining how to cut costs.  I find this to be therapeutic. 
*Cooked four things in oven at once to save electricity.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7013 on: September 08, 2016, 12:09:14 PM »
I made a rose-scented face wash out of items I had on hand when I ran out of the $$$ face wash I prefer and couldn't bear the face wash I dislike (it dries out my skin like mad and is not good). And then I put it in a pretty bottle and printed a label for it, and it's on my counter and smells lovely and helps my skin feels soft and makes me happy and it didn't cost anything.

And then I decided my basement smelled musty, and I was out of the linen spray I got as a gift, but I had some citrus and lavender essential oils, so I searched online and made my own and opened the windows and washed curtains and spritzed them lightly with the linen spray and now my basement smells non-musty and nice. Cost: 1 load of laundry.

It's sometimes the little things in life.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #7014 on: September 08, 2016, 12:10:57 PM »
A couple months ago I gave away extra Roma tomato plants to people at work. Mine were in containers and did horribly, but one lady's went gangbusters, so she brought in a bag for me! I have just enough fresh basil left to make a batch of homemade sauce. Karma!

whateverdude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7015 on: September 08, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »
Saved $1 by buying a different brand of eggs than the ones I normally get (sorry free-range birdies, you'll get my $ once I'm on top of my debt situation).

Also, yesterday I returned some gear to REI I didn't need, and got back $630.  Wooty woot.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7016 on: September 08, 2016, 12:59:33 PM »
patched a sock last night.  did a horrible job too.  oh well, it's sort of like a hobby.

re-scheduled a birthday lunch so I can finish some leftovers before they spoil.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7017 on: September 08, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
Used the lunch special at a local place to get lunch for under 3$.  Saved my lunch for tomorrow.  Send resume over to a new company in my town to change jobs and eliminate my 56 mile one-way commute (facepunch me I know, I'm working on it).

whateverdude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7018 on: September 08, 2016, 01:07:44 PM »
Used the lunch special at a local place to get lunch for under 3$.  Saved my lunch for tomorrow.  Send resume over to a new company in my town to change jobs and eliminate my 56 mile one-way commute (facepunch me I know, I'm working on it).

Nice!  Good luck getting the new gig.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #7019 on: September 08, 2016, 02:39:23 PM »
In Feb of 2016 I convinced my workplace that an organic employee garden would be beneficial for employee health and well being. I got a group together and we planned out all aspects of the garden, created a budget and got it approved, installed the beds, ordered dirt and set up a planting date (square foot gardening method), set up schedules for general maintenance and watering, etc.

Long story short, the "garden group" gets to bring home tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, rhubarb, peas, fresh herbs and flowers, etc., completely company funded. And I get to take a quick break from cubicle hell whenever I feel like it.

So it's not something I ~did~ today, but I did get to take home free food today.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7020 on: September 08, 2016, 03:02:58 PM »
In Feb of 2016 I convinced my workplace that an organic employee garden would be beneficial ...

Nice!!  Wish my workplace culture would permit that... :/

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #7021 on: September 08, 2016, 07:59:32 PM »
Forgot my pre-prepared lunch today, left it in the fridge at home by accident.

However, I will eat it for dinner tonight, and, I have my desk drawer stash of cheap cans of soup :-)

Haven't hit up the Campus cafeteria for months and months :-)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7022 on: September 08, 2016, 11:37:41 PM »
* Received a $10 Amazon gift card for doing a traffic survey last month.

* Won a 4-pack of LED bulbs for entering an energy-savings giveaway.

* Made banana-walnut muffins to use up some aging bananas and cream cheese we had in the fridge.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7023 on: September 08, 2016, 11:41:10 PM »
patched a sock last night.  did a horrible job too.  oh well, it's sort of like a hobby.

re-scheduled a birthday lunch so I can finish some leftovers before they spoil.
LOL!

I added a band to the top of my gifted merino wool low rise long johns.  (I am NOT a low rise kind of girl, they constantly felt like falling off "plumbers crack").   The uneven repair is HORRIBLE looking, but works and is comfy.   

Done and Done.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7024 on: September 09, 2016, 04:26:46 AM »
Line dried laundry again.

I cut up my brown bananas to freeze them to make smoothies.

Leftovers for my meals again.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7025 on: September 09, 2016, 08:52:33 AM »

Your brown bananas remind me: I did 2-ingredient cookies (http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/) with pumpkin pie flavor palette. This saved 2 ways: helping me resist a certain latte that is back at an expensive coffee chain (AHEM) and use up some bananas.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7026 on: September 09, 2016, 09:30:29 AM »

Your brown bananas remind me: I did 2-ingredient cookies (http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/) with pumpkin pie flavor palette. This saved 2 ways: helping me resist a certain latte that is back at an expensive coffee chain (AHEM) and use up some bananas.
That recipe looks tasty!  I over bought bananas last weekend, so I know what I'll do if I have any that turn on me.

For breakfast, I had leftover baguette that was a little hard (microwaved it and it was fine) with my eggs.  I also double bagged the bread and tossed it in the freezer.  When I want baguette, I'll toss it in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

I'm in the process of using up my tea stash.  While I really want to buy more black tea (my normal morning beverage), I'm drinking down my other tea.  This morning I had a pleasant green tea with tropical flavors.  In order to use up the entire leftover amount, I made an entire pot.  I put the remainder in the fridge for ice tea tomorrow.

Sixof1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7027 on: September 09, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
Long time lurker here! Excited that this thread is my first post! Reading all of these really has me inspired, I've been trying to keep this thread in mind so recently I:

- purchased 8 packages of strawberries, 6 mangos, and 3 pints of blue berries all for $15. Some went to friends but most of the strawberries became jam and everything else went in the freezer for smoothies!
- made a blueberry lemon bread from some of the blueberries
- I have to use natural deodorant and after running out of the stuff I usually order online I decided to try an new one. This was a mistake but rather than cave and buy my regular I have been using the new one and have just been putting on an extra spray of perfume.
- had friends over the weekend and not all the food got used up. Instead of taking any with them they insisted I keep it for driving them everywhere, a place to stay, etc. so I had a fridge full of food and a very low grocery bill this week!

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7028 on: September 09, 2016, 11:18:25 AM »

Thanks for posting that! I've never tried those 2 or 3 ingredient cookies before but those look tasty.

Thank you both!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7029 on: September 09, 2016, 12:07:57 PM »
I am dehydrating tomatoes as suggested by several of you...   It has been nearly 24 hrs in the dehydrator, and they are still wet, but soldiering on..

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7030 on: September 09, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »
I am dehydrating tomatoes as suggested by several of you...   It has been nearly 24 hrs in the dehydrator, and they are still wet, but soldiering on..

I am drying tomatoes too!

I finally realized I should dry my summer basil rather than letting it get killed by frost then composting it! Duh!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7031 on: September 09, 2016, 03:13:47 PM »

I finally realized I should dry my summer basil rather than letting it get killed by frost then composting it! Duh!

Basil just gets all brown when I dry it...   but try dicing it into butter and freezing little packs (ice cube trays) for use when sauteeing in future.  Wrap and keep frozen in ziploc bags.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7032 on: September 09, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »

Basil just gets all brown when I dry it...   but try dicing it into butter and freezing little packs (ice cube trays) for use when sauteeing in future.  Wrap and keep frozen in ziploc bags.

Ooohh, basil butter.  Thanks for the idea!  I've made a crapload of pesto already, but herb butters need to happen.

I'm making a huge batch of yogurt today with milk, cream and a yogurt starter that were all marked down.

Found the flip-top bottles I wanted for my kombucha for $1.99 each at Marshall's, whereas they're about $8 apiece on Amazon.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7033 on: September 09, 2016, 07:37:04 PM »
This week I ran out of brown sugar and white sugar. Ran out of honey a while ago.

I've been cutting down sugar in my tea for a while and the last few days drank it without - by necessity. Now I think I can just skip the sugar in the future altogether!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7034 on: September 09, 2016, 09:45:50 PM »
In re preserving soft herbs, another option is to chop them and put them in these Ball freezer trays ( http://amzn.to/2c0xGw8 ) with olive oil and then just pop 'em out as needed. You can also use the same technique for saving dish-size portions of things like lemon zest.

Recent savings:
* Found sugar for $0.25 a pound so purchased several pounds to add to our pantry/stockpile.

* Think I figured out how to turn the carob pods that fall in our yard into a free seasonal source of chicken feed.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:54:06 PM by jengod »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7035 on: September 10, 2016, 01:39:15 AM »
^ I've tried the three ingredient cookies before.:)

Line drying washing again, I'm finding it easier than using the tumble dryer.

Using up my tea too, I have Yogi Choco organic tea today. It's nice and warming as it is cooler weather today.

I'm watching an old black and white film for entertainment.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7036 on: September 12, 2016, 01:34:18 PM »
This weekend:

Mended 3 clothing items and my backpack handle.

DH and I did some repairs in our master bathroom instead of hiring someone.

I power washed the shower curtain instead of buying a new one.

Have been using plain white vinegar as a cleaning product.  I'll never go back to buying expensive, full of chemical cleaners.

Clipped a bunch of coupons for this month's grocery trip.

We ate a ton meeting leftovers from last week.  They resulted in at least 6 meals between the two of us.

I caught an error on our drinks and appetizers bill Saturday.  Saved $7!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7037 on: September 12, 2016, 02:09:08 PM »
Remembered to use the Home Depot coupon I got for signing up for their mobile alerts. $5 off $50 or more.

Bought the medium sized lavender plants instead of the larger ones. They'll fill the space up enough it doesn't look totally bare right now, and will grow next year more. And were $6 less per plant.

Related to the lavender: used lavender and rosemary, two hearty herbs, to plant an area that our sprinklers don't reach. Once they're established, they'll only need watering during hot dry periods- the rest of the time in my climate they're happy with whatever precipitation we get. This saved us money over the other option we had discussed, fixing the "dead" sprinkler system on that side, to put in more water dependent plants.

Instead of buying more hangars for our closet, I got rid of some clothes.

newelljack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7038 on: September 12, 2016, 09:52:12 PM »
Leftovers for lunch and managed my mpg as best as I could. And also talked myself out of buying a new car, but that's the same every week!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7039 on: September 13, 2016, 01:00:13 AM »

Ooohh, basil butter.  Thanks for the idea!  I've made a crapload of pesto already, but herb butters need to happen.

I just added 'procure basil plant' to my to-do list after this discussion!

I love it, and new balcony should be sunny enough to grow it.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #7040 on: September 13, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »
I have an class this evening after work. Brought two meals to work instead of just one for lunch, will be having dinner here and go straight to the university afterwards. It's the little things.

felixbf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7041 on: September 13, 2016, 07:15:47 AM »
Put my dirty converse sneakers in the washing machine.No need for new ones

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7042 on: September 13, 2016, 10:17:47 AM »
Worked out at the free gym, listening to a podcast, while my son played at the childcare co-op.

Borrowed paint from a friend for a craft project instead of buying it.

Ran a few errands and only bought what was on my list.

Leftovers for lunch, and stuffed peppers for dinner to help use up more leftovers.

newelljack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7043 on: September 13, 2016, 11:52:26 AM »
Worked out at the free gym, listening to a podcast, while my son played at the childcare co-op.

Your gym sounds awesome!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7044 on: September 13, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »

Your gym sounds awesome!

It's one of my favorite perks of being a military spouse!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7045 on: September 13, 2016, 12:19:33 PM »
Packed lunch. Which I always do, but it was close.

See, yesterday I did not have time to cook BEFORE work. Got home at 8:45 pm to "no food, just ingredients." Now, I was very tempted to just stop for fast food or something, but I knew that if I did, I would have the same problem today of no food. So I dug in and cooked a small mountain of pasta with Italian sausage, parmesan, and arugula. Dinner and many lunches! Yum.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7046 on: September 13, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »
I got a free cookie from a restaurant worker my company does a lot of business with!
SCORE!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7047 on: September 13, 2016, 06:32:11 PM »
Skipped breakfast because I was still full from last's night dinner.  Did not buy lunch from cafeteria.  Spent about 15 minutes writing to a few companies whose products I use (canned kitty food, tea, house cleaning) to sing their praises and ask for samples/coupons.  Worth a shot. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7048 on: September 13, 2016, 06:34:25 PM »
Already had the oven on, so I batched my cooking. "unstuffed" pepper casserole, bacon, mini breakfast quiches.

Fearthebait

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7049 on: September 14, 2016, 05:50:03 AM »
Today I spent $30 to install a wifi card in my computer. I now get free unlimited WiFi in my room instead of paying $100 per month for the Ethernet enabled internet that is offered on base.