Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020968 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1000 on: June 23, 2014, 07:46:21 PM »
Made 3 loaves of sandwich bread in the bread machine today (one after the other, of course!) and wrapped them up for the freezer for lunches. Will try to do 3 more tomorrow to build up a stash (stache?) of bread in the freezer thereby not having to buy bread at the store. 

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1001 on: June 24, 2014, 04:14:46 AM »
Made sweet & salty kettle corn instead of buying it at the markets as I usually would. Further practice required, but half of it was *very* good, and still much cheaper.
Recipe, please.

I think it was this one: http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-and-salty-kettle-corn-rachael-ray-271419, but do actually shake the pan up-and-down sometimes, as well as just shuffling it around on the hot plate! And do take it off when the pops slow, instead of waiting for all to pop, or you will end up with burnt-sugar-lumps instead of popcorn.

Thank you

Bookworm

« Reply #1002 on: June 24, 2014, 05:32:18 AM »
I had an appointment at the DMV yesterday at 3:50 and then had to take my son to a scout meeting at 7:00 in the same part of town. Instead of window shopping or reading a book or watching a show, like I'd normally do, we walked around together and collected bottles and cans. We get 5 cents in CA for every container (10 cents for those 24 ounces or over). We picked up $4.30 worth!

As a bonus, I was very tired last night because I hadn't slept well the night before, and being active instead of trying to read or stream Netflix on my phone kept me awake and alert.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1003 on: June 24, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
I went to a concert tonight and didn't have to pay because I'm friends with musicians and will soon be involved in a symphonic band myself. Hurray!

But if I did have to pay, I wouldn't have gone. Also I wouldn't have gone if someone hadn't driven me. Soooo... whatevs.

I had a lovely time.

LanceBurkhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1004 on: June 24, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
Went to the mall to buy a dress shirt I need for an event next week. Bought the one shirt. Left!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1005 on: June 24, 2014, 08:49:15 PM »
Neither of us went down off the mountain today. That makes the day a total win in money not spent and in hassles not encountered.

Though I did have a web meeting, so there was hassle, but it was hassle I could mute if I needed to. :-)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1006 on: June 24, 2014, 08:51:33 PM »
Neither of us went down off the mountain today. That makes the day a total win in money not spent and in hassles not encountered.

Though I did have a web meeting, so there was hassle, but it was hassle I could mute if I needed to. :-)
Lol

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #1007 on: June 24, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »
Went another day without turning the AC on! Also, cleaned our own house. Now don't get too jealous of my exciting life ;)

fitzgeralday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1008 on: June 24, 2014, 10:34:28 PM »
 - successfully sold unnecessary crap on craigslist - made $235
 - planning to downgrade my air voice wireless plan next month to the cheapest unlimited plan
 - recently dropped my iPhone, decided to fix up and sell for a profit

*insert fist pump*

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1009 on: June 25, 2014, 12:24:16 PM »
Turned left instead of a right down the gauntlet of enticing restaurants. I really must remember my lunch next time.

Angie55

« Reply #1010 on: June 26, 2014, 08:27:47 AM »
Refilled my disposable tissue box with a roll of toilet paper. Best part is I have it immediately without having to go to the store. Should last way longer too.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1011 on: June 26, 2014, 08:56:56 AM »
Replaced the alternator in my truck.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #1012 on: June 26, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
Re-wore an outfit to cut down on laundry!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1013 on: June 26, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
1) cooking 2 whole chickens in roaster (instead of oven -- not heating up house, uses less power).  Found them in the bottom of the freezer from last fall. Put roaster on front porch.

2) loaf of fruit bread going in bread machine on back porch -- also keeping heat out of the house

3) didn't put on a/c even though I wanted to -- then a nice breeze came up and dropped the house temp by almost 3 degrees. Was feeling very mustachian at that moment!

Nancy

« Reply #1014 on: June 28, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »
Went to the local ethnic grocer and was floored by the low produce prices. I struggle with the fact that they are not organic (don't want to support chemical fertilizer runoff), but it saved a ton and supported a local independent store.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1015 on: June 28, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »
Switched to ting.  I should save about $15 month, AND I didn't have to give up my iPhone. 

Made a small grocery trip instead of our regular large weekend trip.  We're out of a few things, but we have enough to make it through the week.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1016 on: June 28, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
Having homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner -- stock was made from boiling the bones of the 2 organic chickens we'd enjoyed earlier in the week.  Good to the last drop! Also, ordered another 35 organic chickens from our farmer friend that we pick up next weekend. Another year of yummy chicken ahead!

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #1017 on: June 28, 2014, 08:02:27 PM »
Get a bidet. Never buy toilet paper again.

Amazon has some decently rated retrofit ones for under $50. They fit under your toilet seat and come with all the part to connect to the toilet.

Forget the stupid high end ones - heated and whatnot. Had several of them when living in NE asia. Waste of money.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1018 on: June 29, 2014, 12:40:58 AM »
Discovered someone had "bumped" the temperature control on my fridge and my veges were frozen. So I chopped them all up to make stock instead of throwing them out.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1019 on: June 29, 2014, 09:15:51 AM »
Changed oil in wife's car,
 mowed the lawn,
 made three bicycle trips to the hardware store and one to work for more tools while fixing the p trap and drain (always need one more part).
 Ran coax cable to hook up the living room TV to the antenna for free TV (this might be considered a step backwards since we have gone three months w/o regular TV just Netflix but I like my local news/weather. )
Went trough a bunch of crap to get it ready to sell on the Internet.

Cyanne

• Stubble
« Reply #1020 on: June 29, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
Planted the hostas that my father-in-law gave me to create a new flower bed in my yard. Also, instead of ordering pizza we made home made pizza tonight.

striving_4_awesome

« Reply #1021 on: June 29, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »
Had a long, busy day and really, really, really wanted to order pizza or go out for dinner and drinks!  Resisted and BBQ'd our dinner with a few cocktails on the patio!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1022 on: June 29, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
Made a giant pot of dal (with barley, just for kicks). Pound of lentils, masaman curry paste, barley, carrots, spinach, salt. I now have a couple weeks' work lunches for me in addition to having it for supper tonight.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1023 on: June 30, 2014, 07:43:24 AM »
I started building some self-watering raised beds, yesterday.  The original design included pond liner, perforated irrigation pipe, and probably geotextile, so the project cost started getting pretty high.  Then I remembered reading an article about hugelkultur and changed the whole thing to a deep trench filled with old wood under the bed.  I still wanted to slow the water percolation, so I lined the trenches with old chicken feed bags.  It's going to save us dealing with some nasty old wood that wasn't going to work for firewood, too.

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #1024 on: June 30, 2014, 01:47:15 PM »
Walked to the grocery store.  Only bought the groceries that could fit under the double stroller - so no deviating from the list! 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1025 on: June 30, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »
Worked on the budget... ugh ... arguments always ensue, depending on what is valued and by whom. But in the end, consensus was reached.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1026 on: July 01, 2014, 06:11:14 AM »
My very picky niece needed a new swimsuit. We found one she liked on-line for $50.  We decided to go check out a couple of places before ordering.  Found one at a discount outlet store for $30 that was on clearance for 50% off.  Came home with a really nice high quality swimsuit for $15.  Everyone was happy.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1027 on: July 01, 2014, 05:45:44 PM »
1) Made hummus with the chickpeas I'd cooked up in the crockpot
2) Did a roast on the rotisserie for lunch meat this week
3) Stayed home

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1028 on: July 01, 2014, 06:32:02 PM »
Made bread in the breadmaker.

Closed up the house early this morning, now have the windows open, and a fan running rather than turning on the AC.

Stayed home rather than going out for Canada Day celebrations, might go out to see the fireworks tonight.

2bfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1029 on: July 02, 2014, 10:14:25 AM »
I normally cook enough dinner in the evenings and take the leftovers to work for lunch the next day. I was feeling sick last night so DH allowed me to skip cooking last night (he was at work and couldn't cook either). Instead of succumbing to the temptation to buy lunch today, I took a tuna salad with me.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1030 on: July 02, 2014, 12:22:27 PM »
Remembered to set up the crock pot this morning! Makes for a happy day all day long.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #1031 on: July 02, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
Looked at SkyScanner, got my travel agent to beat the lowest price I found, then a work colleague scolded me for going with a national chain and got $20 better for me from a friend of his. So my flights to the US are a lot less than I budgeted for!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1032 on: July 02, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
Remembered to set up the crock pot this morning! Makes for a happy day all day long.

Crock pot days are happy days indeed!  Tonight we're going to eat leftovers that came from the crock pot a couple of days ago.

I have a high revenue temp side hustle for the next month.  It's too far to bike and parking "on site" in the gated parking deck was going to run $60 (for one freaking month of half day work!)  So I park about 5 blocks away on a free public side street and walk.  It's a really pleasant walk, too, nice and shady.  Good exercise, nice weather, and the only trick to it is that I have to get there on the early side.  If I'm 15 min late, then all the spots are filled and I'm doomed to park farther away, which of course makes me even more late.  So far that's only happened once.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #1033 on: July 02, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »
I didn't spend a dime.  I made coffee at home, then worked out and showered at the company gym (free).  Then I had free coffee from the company cafeteria, and then free lunch during a lunch meeting.  I was going to eat half a sandwich, but I ate two halves because it was free.  Is that weird? 

Then I came home and made a good dinner of organic hamburgers from Whole Foods, corn on the cob, and a crudite platter for the family (which I had bought before -- it wasn't free, but I didn't spend $ on it *today*).

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1034 on: July 02, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
I was going to eat half a sandwich, but I ate two halves because it was free.  Is that weird?

No, totally normal, although that kind of thinking has unfortunately added to my waistline.  It's free food central where I work.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1035 on: July 03, 2014, 12:11:43 AM »
Drove kids to a beach today and served a yummy picnic dinner. Free parking, free swimming and beach combing. Just the cost of gas and food. A very lovely day by the seaside and exhausted children this evening ... WINNING!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1036 on: July 03, 2014, 01:17:43 PM »
Put my daughter's two week notice into her current daycare and am moving her as of July 21st.  We would have been saving $145/month but her current daycare just emailed saying they are raising rates.  So glad to be getting out of there.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1037 on: July 03, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »
Contested our property tax assessment on the adjacent, unimproved parcel for this year and got the skinny on putting a conservation easement on both parcels for the next year and forward. The first (contesting the valuation) is a small thing since we only owed $250 for the year on that parcel even with the new assessment; the easement will likely end up being a big thing.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1038 on: July 06, 2014, 08:20:21 PM »
Well, it got quiet here!

Today we stopped along the road* in two different spots as the sun was starting to go down (and thus it was cooling off) and picked four pounds of blackberries for the freezer in about an hour. I don't buy berries. Anyway, there's nothing like the feeling of stocking up. Besides, getting out in the woods and fields is fun.

* One shouldn't pick right beside a road because of exhaust particulate settling on the berries. We went about 20 yards up a dirt trail in both cases.

Edited because the ipad helped me to time travel; 20 years up a trail vs 20 yards!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:18:00 AM by Rural »

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1039 on: July 06, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
I made pulled chicken last night that I poached in a tomato broth. I've always thrown out the tomatoes when I'm done, apart from a little bit I reduce to make sauce. Last night I strained it, and I had tomato soup and toast for lunch today. It was really yummy!

Rural, I'm jealous. Where I used to live there were berries everywhere, but not here. Not on public land anyway.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1040 on: July 06, 2014, 10:26:13 PM »
We went about 20 years up a dirt trail in both cases.

Traveling back in time is a wise way to get more wholesome foods. 

We drove home from California tonight, and kept the eating on the road to a minimum.  Went straight to the grocery store for salad stuff rather than going out for one last hurrah after a week of going out to eat while on vacation.

Was able to fix the A/C myself (first time turning it on this year and the breaker kept tripping), and didn't even need the replacement breaker.  Will hopefully be able to locate the receipt and return it tomorrow.

Made lunches for the next two days, lined up a Craigslist sale, and started a new batch of fermented pickles with homegrown cukes.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1041 on: July 07, 2014, 02:03:48 AM »
Daughter made cookies and buns for her work lunches this week and enough to share with the rest of the family too. She also went and bought some fresh produce for us. Love all this peak season fruit and vegetables at rock bottom prices. Losing weight because of it, too!

purplepants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journey - Purplepants' Journey From The 7th Circle of Hell
« Reply #1042 on: July 07, 2014, 06:06:23 AM »
Last night, DH really wanted to purchase a new board game to play (we're trying to wean off TV).  He selected Yahtzee, which was $7.77 at Wal-Mart, but then I looked at the contents of the box.

We bought a $1.47 package of dice, printed scoring sheets from the internet, and used a tupperware container for a cup.

Total savings $6.30, plus storage space.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1043 on: July 07, 2014, 06:18:24 AM »
Awesome Yahtzee hack!!  Love it!

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #1044 on: July 07, 2014, 07:31:27 AM »

I made pulled chicken last night that I poached in a tomato broth. I've always thrown out the tomatoes when I'm done, apart from a little bit I reduce to make sauce. Last night I strained it, and I had tomato soup and toast for lunch today. It was really yummy!

Rural, I'm jealous. Where I used to live there were berries everywhere, but not here. Not on public land anyway.

Anyone notice that a whole premade roasted chicken at bjs is cheaper than buying an uncooked one? When I'm in the mood for chicken I'll buy a roasted one for $5, chop it up and put the leftovers in salad or soup

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1045 on: July 07, 2014, 08:05:55 AM »
We went about 20 years up a dirt trail in both cases.

Traveling back in time is a wise way to get more wholesome foods. 

I found my mistake and edited it before I read down, sorry! Yes, that would work even better. :-)

Yes, the trails are old public roads that have been let go (a new state highway went through in the 50s, and these are the roads that were cut off). So they're still right-of-way without the emissions.

But if you see berries on private land, ask if you can pick there. Many people don't want to get into the thorns with blackberries in particular and would be glad to let you for a cut of the take (or for a cobbler, which seems fancier but will probably cost you fewer berries!) I'm about to make my neighbor just such an offer because his power line is packed with brambles. He'd let me pick for nothing, but I know they'll appreciate a cobbler. Blackberries are my only regret about putting in underground power here; no power line. Of course, that also means no 40-foot slash through the trees, so it's a only minor regret.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1046 on: July 07, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »
I did a bunch of berry picking on my property this weekend.  We have about an acre, and in that space have black raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, and wild grapes.  Right now the mulberries and raspberries are ripe, I've been picking and eating a lot of berries!

I have made pie a few times, given away mulberries to some friends, and have some mulberry wine brewing in my kitchen.  Looking forward to the wild grapes!  They don't go to fruit every year, but when they do they make a pretty awesome addition to our homemade mead!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1047 on: July 07, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »
Carpooled to work.
Made tea from gifted loose leaf tea. 

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1048 on: July 07, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »

Anyone notice that a whole premade roasted chicken at bjs is cheaper than buying an uncooked one? When I'm in the mood for chicken I'll buy a roasted one for $5, chop it up and put the leftovers in salad or soup

Around here they're about the same, but the uncooked one is about 2x larger. (Which isn't to say I never get rotisserie chickens, since I live/eat mostly alone. I do love roasting a chicken for friends though. :) )

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1049 on: July 07, 2014, 01:48:07 PM »
I did a bunch of berry picking on my property this weekend.  We have about an acre, and in that space have black raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, and wild grapes.  Right now the mulberries and raspberries are ripe, I've been picking and eating a lot of berries!

I have made pie a few times, given away mulberries to some friends, and have some mulberry wine brewing in my kitchen.  Looking forward to the wild grapes!  They don't go to fruit every year, but when they do they make a pretty awesome addition to our homemade mead!
Can you adopt me?  LOL, your land sounds amazing, as does the mead.