Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020855 times)

Canadian Nicole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1450 on: September 17, 2014, 05:39:14 PM »
I cancelled some of our tv channels to save $20/month.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1451 on: September 17, 2014, 05:53:40 PM »
Made pretzel buns instead of buying them. Savings: $7.50 and a boat load of extra chemical ingestion.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1452 on: September 17, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
Went to the dump in the next county over to drop off a load of stuff (which was legit, most of it was from our rental, which is in that county) for a $5 dump fee instead of the $20 or so it would be in this county.  It's maybe a couple miles farther, but more in the direction where I can combine it with a trip to the stable and not add any net mileage.

Bought a couple out of print books for $17 each and relisted them on Amazon for $40.  Pretty sure they'll sell at that price though it might take a while.

$$$Manager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1453 on: September 17, 2014, 10:13:30 PM »
I'm new here and just started packing my lunch (PB&J) for work.  I can't stand to go to the lunchroom at work, so relax eat at my desk.  It works out ok.

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1454 on: September 18, 2014, 03:57:06 AM »
My $20 OTA indoor antenna from a local electronics store picks up 5 HD channels .. its fantastic! tvfool.com will tell you how many channels you will get at your geographic location, depending on the strength of your antenna. I dream of one day putting a unit on the roof (around $150) but not right now! haha.

Thanks for the tip!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1455 on: September 18, 2014, 05:21:09 AM »
I made a lentil and vegie soup for dinner (from stuff we already had in the pantry and fridge). I made enough for dinner for two and 4 frozen lunches for work. Tasty and a pretty cheap meal.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1456 on: September 18, 2014, 07:57:41 AM »
Liberated about 50 lbs of pears from the tree at my parents' house and turned them into 25 pints of pearsauce.  Also did 7 pints of tomatoes, and many more to come.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1457 on: September 18, 2014, 09:33:50 PM »
Saved some seeds from an amazing tomato plant that popped up in my garden this year.  I'm not sure if it will breed true, but I have to try!  It's dark red with green seeds and shoulders, and is the sweetest most delicious tomato I have ever had.

Also, started broth today with bones from beef, will strain then add veggie scraps and spices tomorrow.  Then boil down and freeze.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1458 on: September 19, 2014, 12:12:29 AM »
Made 2 consecutive loaves of bread in the bread machine today... one was just a regular wheat bread and one was a fruit bread. Both were yummy. 

Unclogged 3 drains with Liquid Plummer instead of calling a plummer, and it worked in all 3! Not the greatest thing for my septic tank, (or the environment) but a tank pumping company once told me to put a small handful of raw hamburger down to get it working right again.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1459 on: September 19, 2014, 02:31:50 AM »
Also, started broth today with bones from beef, will strain then add veggie scraps and spices tomorrow.  Then boil down and freeze.

I never really saw the point of bone broth until very recently when I cooked a corned leg of lamb in the slow cooker and LOVED the broth. I used it to make it a soup with some leftover corned lamb plus some noodles and vegies. It was very gelatinous when cold. Can I ask what else you use bone broth for? I'm super curious.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1460 on: September 19, 2014, 09:29:22 AM »
I never really saw the point of bone broth until very recently when I cooked a corned leg of lamb in the slow cooker and LOVED the broth. I used it to make it a soup with some leftover corned lamb plus some noodles and vegies. It was very gelatinous when cold. Can I ask what else you use bone broth for? I'm super curious.
I make broth in the slow cooker or pressure cooker depending on how much I'm making.  Pressure cooker works better but our slow cooker is larger.  Adding chicken feet (stay with me here) to the bones can make it more gelatinous.  Then we freeze it in pint-sized mason jars for later use.  We use broth for soups and stews and any recipe that calls for it. 

Even better though is using straight meaty soup bones for a soup.  We did that last night and it was superb.  Just brown the meat on the bone in a stockpot, dump in a boatload of veggies, fill it up with water, top with some herbs and let it simmer for a few hours.  Scoop out the bones, and serve.  Delicious.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1461 on: September 19, 2014, 09:40:58 AM »
There is LOTS of info out there on the health benefits of bone broth - basically a free healthy supplement to your diet (other then the bit of electricity used if you crockpot)

I have a batch going at least once a week - health benefits aside - free flavour! Its cheaper and better for you than using bullion or purchased stock.

Whole chickens are much higher quality and cheaper, so I will roast a chicken in the crockpot, shred off all the meat for use throughout the week and toss the bones back into the pot and leave  on overnight. In winter it usually turns into soup, but we also use it to cook grains and veggies, make sauces etc.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1462 on: September 19, 2014, 10:03:22 AM »
Whole chickens are much higher quality and cheaper, so I will roast a chicken in the crockpot, shred off all the meat for use throughout the week and toss the bones back into the pot and leave  on overnight. In winter it usually turns into soup, but we also use it to cook grains and veggies, make sauces etc.
This is what we do, too.  Great way to use all the chicken, turkey, etc. and get excellent broth for later.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1463 on: September 19, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
Took my shower at the clubhouse this morning.  Gave my hair a good brushing before I washed it.  Doing that gives me an extra day between shampoos

Experimented with freezing milk in glass jars.  Milk by the gallon is so much cheaper but hard to use up.  I always wind up buying a gallon because I can't bear to pay small carton prices.  I froze it in pint jars.  Just enough for a double batch of cornbread, scones or muffins.  Baking is the most frequent reason I buy milk.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1464 on: September 19, 2014, 11:08:20 AM »
Took my shower at the clubhouse this morning.  Gave my hair a good brushing before I washed it.  Doing that gives me an extra day between shampoos

Experimented with freezing milk in glass jars.  Milk by the gallon is so much cheaper but hard to use up.  I always wind up buying a gallon because I can't bear to pay small carton prices.  I froze it in pint jars.  Just enough for a double batch of cornbread, scones or muffins.  Baking is the most frequent reason I buy milk.
I've frozen raw milk in glass containers, and it works well as long as it is defrosted slowly in the fridge (and you shake it as it defrosts), but never with store-bought milk.  I'll be curious to see how that goes.  Just be sure (of course) to give it enough expansion room or your poor container will crack (filtering bits of glass out of glorious defrosting milk is very sad).

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1465 on: September 19, 2014, 11:53:24 AM »
I make broth in the slow cooker or pressure cooker depending on how much I'm making.  Pressure cooker works better but our slow cooker is larger.  Adding chicken feet (stay with me here) to the bones can make it more gelatinous.  Then we freeze it in pint-sized mason jars for later use.  We use broth for soups and stews and any recipe that calls for it. 

Even better though is using straight meaty soup bones for a soup.  We did that last night and it was superb.  Just brown the meat on the bone in a stockpot, dump in a boatload of veggies, fill it up with water, top with some herbs and let it simmer for a few hours.  Scoop out the bones, and serve.  Delicious.
I'm using a slow cooker, the veggies are in now.  My frozen scraps this time had sweet peppers, zucchini ends, a spaghetti squash peel, celery leaves, carrot peels, and red cabbage pieces.  I also added some tomatoes, garlic and onion from my garden, a few spices (salt, pepper, red pepper flakes), and the core from the apple I just ate.

As for what I use it for - my favorite is to filter it, let it cool and skim off the fat, then boil it down to a small volume and freeze it in an ice cube tray.  Then I have little homemade "bouillon" cubes.

I use these mostly in rice, I add one or 2 to a cup of cooking rice.  They can also be added to stir fry for added flavor.

As a bonus, when I took out the bones I got "free" lunch!  There was much more meat left on the bones than I was expecting.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #1466 on: September 19, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
Had a great day.  I hemmed some too-short sweatpants into trendy sweatshorts (I am a brand new sewer - so yay me!).  I gave myself a haircut.  Baked some lemon cake loaves to give to friends we will visit this weekend (instead of buying a gift).

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1467 on: September 19, 2014, 01:42:26 PM »

I've frozen raw milk in glass containers, and it works well as long as it is defrosted slowly in the fridge (and you shake it as it defrosts), but never with store-bought milk.  I'll be curious to see how that goes.  Just be sure (of course) to give it enough expansion room or your poor container will crack (filtering bits of glass out of glorious defrosting milk is very sad).

Not only sad but can be hard on the digestion.  Thanks for the tips on proper defrosting. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1468 on: September 19, 2014, 04:04:01 PM »
Homemade brown beans going in the crockpot for dinner and son is making a big batch of cookies for the weekend.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1469 on: September 19, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
^^^ Thanks heaps for all of the responses about bone broth! Much appreciated. We have a very small freezer, but I'll put some thought into solutions, cos it sounds like a great base for soups. I also love the idea of bouillon cubes to chuck into rice while it's cooking.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1470 on: September 19, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »
I took my lunch to work every day this week, and didn't purchase any coffee or ice capp from Tim Horton's. My new office has a Keurig, and supplies coffee, so that is nice.

Btw, found the mug in my profile pic at the Dollar Store, and it is my new work mug.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1471 on: September 20, 2014, 11:05:27 AM »
I went to an apple orchard to pick apples. It's just me so I bought 3 apples for $2. It's really tempting to buy more at pick-your-own (somehow makes it more worth it). This woman next to me tried to make fun of me for paying so much for so few. The apples are by weight. SMH.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1472 on: September 20, 2014, 12:50:48 PM »
I re-used my floss from yesterday.

I know I know, it's kinda 'ew' - but stick with me.  When I think about it, if I was transported back into the 1800s and all I had in my pocket was the floss I'd used yesterday, you can bet your socks I'd use that floss until it wore out (I'd clean it before each use).  That thought experiment led me to re-using floss.

In fact the floss issue came up during the days when when DH and I were considering an imminent retirement. As we both flossed before bed, he'd say, "so, if I reuse floss, can I quit my job?"  And I'd say, "yes, but only if you reuse floss."

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1473 on: September 20, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »
Baked cranberry scones this morning.  I knew we were planning to go out and that way we wouldn't be tempted to stop for bagels and coffee on the way home because we had something better waiting for us.  It worked.

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1474 on: September 20, 2014, 02:25:15 PM »
I took my lunch to work every day this week, and didn't purchase any coffee or ice capp from Tim Horton's. My new office has a Keurig, and supplies coffee, so that is nice.

Btw, found the mug in my profile pic at the Dollar Store, and it is my new work mug.
''

LOVE your new mug!!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1475 on: September 20, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »
Hung 2 loads of laundry -- nice and sunny day. Returned library books and videos on time, and renewed 3 that I wanted to keep for a bit longer.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1476 on: September 20, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
Saved some seeds from an amazing tomato plant that popped up in my garden this year.  I'm not sure if it will breed true, but I have to try!  It's dark red with green seeds and shoulders, and is the sweetest most delicious tomato I have ever had.

If I send you a stamped addressed envelope may I have a couple?

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #1477 on: September 20, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »
Had to take my computer in for a repair, and got $15 off the cost just by asking. (Go to the local shop instead of Apple Store, there's more wiggle room!)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1478 on: September 20, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »

Sure.  No need to send an envelope, just pm me your address.  I have enough saved for probably 40 plants, and I don't need that many!

It will be at least another week before they are dry and ready to mail out.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1479 on: September 20, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »

Sure.  No need to send an envelope, just pm me your address.  I have enough saved for probably 40 plants, and I don't need that many!

It will be at least another week before they are dry and ready to mail out.

PM sent. Thanks.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1480 on: September 21, 2014, 03:04:05 AM »
I re-used my floss from yesterday.

I know I know, it's kinda 'ew' - but stick with me.  When I think about it, if I was transported back into the 1800s and all I had in my pocket was the floss I'd used yesterday, you can bet your socks I'd use that floss until it wore out (I'd clean it before each use).  That thought experiment led me to re-using floss.

In fact the floss issue came up during the days when when DH and I were considering an imminent retirement. As we both flossed before bed, he'd say, "so, if I reuse floss, can I quit my job?"  And I'd say, "yes, but only if you reuse floss."

I don't think I will reuse mine but you reminded me that I needed to buy floss, thanks.:)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1481 on: September 21, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
I checked out MMM recommends and found out that geico had home insurance affiliates and saved $80 for the year with less than a 20 minute phone call.  YES!!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:02:12 PM by Gin1984 »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1482 on: September 21, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »
Leftover hamburgers for lunch after church, from big family BBQ we hosted yesterday.  Chicken from our bulk buy from a local farmer for our dinner. Bought 50 -- one a week should last us about a year.

isbjshaffer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Paying down 40k in Student Loans by 9/1/15!
    • Church of Acts
« Reply #1483 on: September 21, 2014, 04:48:54 PM »
I vacuumed my air filter to make it last longer lol

TurtleMarkets

« Reply #1484 on: September 21, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »
Farmers market veggies. Cheaper and taste way better than stores.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1485 on: September 21, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
Just watched a video about how to bone a chicken leg and thigh.  Can get a deal on chicken leg quarters if I buy four 10 lb. bags.  I can spend a day boning them and repacking the meat in half lb. portions.  Then I will have all that skin and bones to make a ton of broth.  Have to wait a while though.  My freezer is pretty full right now.  Too bad.  I was looking at some of the chicken recipes over at Budget Bytes and thinking, "I could make that, and that, and that..."  Now that I am sure I can do it, it will happen.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1486 on: September 22, 2014, 05:20:08 AM »
Saved the cost of a new camera after visiting http://shouldibuythis.org/
... for now.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1487 on: September 22, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
Went to the doctor for my annual check up.  While there I got a flu shot and blood/urine work done.  By combining this work with my annual checkup everything was free.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1488 on: September 22, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
Made a weekly menu and planned my shopping.  Mastering this is my current goal so I am pleased to report that I did it.  I am even more pleased to report that my shopping list for the week is:  Flour, potatoes.  That's it.  Before I started doing this I would just have automatically gone to the grocery store and wandered around picking up whatever looked good until my brain got the mysterious ping that says, "You have shopped enough."

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1489 on: September 22, 2014, 12:20:28 PM »
Yesterday I cleaned out and reorganized my 14 year old horse trailer to make it more functional and all around nicer.  That ought to keep me from dreaming of a shiny new trailer for at least another year or two.

Also cut my hops plants down and picked about 8# of hops off of them while watching Back to the Future.  I think they run about $15/lb, so that's a pretty nice payback.

Stayed home all day and didn't spend any money.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1490 on: September 22, 2014, 01:36:04 PM »
Yesterday I cleaned out and reorganized my 14 year old horse trailer to make it more functional and all around nicer.  That ought to keep me from dreaming of a shiny new trailer for at least another year or two.

Also cut my hops plants down and picked about 8# of hops off of them while watching Back to the Future. I think they run about $15/lb, so that's a pretty nice payback.

How do you know when they are ripe?  I ask because I planted a hop plant back when the Hub was brewing beer but before we picked any he decided that it made him fat and cranky and stopped.  Now that it's making hops, I would like to offer them to another brewer on Freecycle but don't know when to pick them

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1491 on: September 22, 2014, 06:31:39 PM »
I am a brand new sewer - so yay me!

Seamstress! Or new at sewing! You are not full of sewage! You are a worthwhile human being! :) :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1492 on: September 22, 2014, 08:39:54 PM »

Also cut my hops plants down and picked about 8# of hops off of them while watching Back to the Future. I think they run about $15/lb, so that's a pretty nice payback.

How do you know when they are ripe?  I ask because I planted a hop plant back when the Hub was brewing beer but before we picked any he decided that it made him fat and cranky and stopped.  Now that it's making hops, I would like to offer them to another brewer on Freecycle but don't know when to pick them

The cones should feel kind of papery, and there should be yellow pollen starting to travel down the little "leaf" pieces of the cone.

http://www.realbeer.com/library/authors/moen-a/hgrown3.php

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #1493 on: September 23, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »
I also harvested a ton of hops today.  As they are already vine dried, I put them right into the freezer for use in making the next few batches of beer. And I picked a pile of cayenne peppers and hungarian paprika peppers, all drying slowly in the oven as I write.  AND, I got a good start on my next wood working project (making a bookcase), utilizing the fully-equipped wood shop at my local community college so I don't have to personally own all the crazy expensive heavy equipment.  What a fine use of a late September day!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1494 on: September 24, 2014, 02:11:53 AM »
2ndTimer,
Congrats on the meal planning ... I have yet to succeed at that! Shall try again.

Made broth from chicken bones, and turned it into a great soup for dinner with 1 cup of leftover chicken, lots of veggies and some leftover wild rice/quinoa mix.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1495 on: September 24, 2014, 03:25:36 AM »
- I decided not to have a morning shower yesterday and today. I have a hot bath or shower in the evening anyway so I thought I'm not really dirty.:D

- Homemade meals all day.

- I'm going to spend some time today dreaming looking at the houses online in the coastal area we want to retire to.:)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1496 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29:57 AM »
2ndTimer,
Congrats on the meal planning ... I have yet to succeed at that! Shall try again.

Made broth from chicken bones, and turned it into a great soup for dinner with 1 cup of leftover chicken, lots of veggies and some leftover wild rice/quinoa mix.

I found it was easiest if I plan by the meal instead of the day.  So first I do the Hub's lunches (just a question of what kind of sandwiches), then the Hub's breakfasts (he gets up early during the week), then dinners, then my breakfasts and lunches (which are usually leftovers from dinner.)

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1497 on: September 24, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »
Drove 55MPH instead of the usual 70MPH to work in order to stretch out fuel economy!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1498 on: September 25, 2014, 11:40:57 AM »
Walked to MacDonalds for their promotional free coffee.  They are doing it for two weeks, presumably to get me in the habit of going there.  Little do they know, that as soon as the promotion is over I will be walking to the library instead.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1499 on: September 25, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
Opted against spending money, does that count?  My hubby gets a bonus every year, and he saves most of it.  But he really likes being able to buy gifts for himself, me, and the boys with some of it.

So the boys got their toys (almost anyway, the older child has to work to earn part of his).  He really wanted to get me a Jawbone UP 24 (like a fitbit). I'm really into health and fitness - like to record my exercise and eating habits.  Plus I sleep like crap and it has a sleep tracker.

After reading the reviews I opted against it.  They don't appear to last very long, so why buy a $120 electronic gadget that lasts less than a year and does things that I can do manually?  I can use google maps to figure out how far I just walked.

So anyway next week we are getting our roof replaced and getting gutters added to the house.  I said "my gift will be being able to leave the front porch without getting drenched in a rainstorm!"  If it ever rains.