Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020877 times)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3400 on: May 18, 2015, 11:05:23 PM »
I'm new to the forums, and I love this thread!

Welcome to the forums, and I love your username!

Today, I finished clearing out the last of last year's garden pots, and re-planted them.  I still have a couple of plants to deal with, and am trying to figure out a plan that doesn't involve buying any more pots! 

Another thing I did is to stay home.  It's a stat holiday today, so I thought about going out and about, but decided to be a homebody instead.  Even when someone from work called, and wanted me to go in, I held off and we problem-solved instead and came up with a solution that didn't involve me leaving the house.  Yay!  Gas saved.

I also cooked a tasty dinner of brown rice, and lentils with cabbage and potato.  A little bit of the rice went into the dog's food bowl, as a relatively cheap and healthy way to get my fussy dog to eat all his dinner.  I still had cabbage left, and that head of cabbage has been lingering in my fridge for way too long.  So I made another pot with chickpeas, cabbage and potato, with a different set of spices.  Some of each will be frozen.  Lunch was a mishmash put together based on some food I got sent home with yesterday, but it was tasty too.  One part of it was a savoury muffin, along with some cheese.  I like savoury baked goods :-)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3401 on: May 19, 2015, 07:14:08 AM »
Picked the green onion tops that were going to seed in my garden and chopped them on top of my lunch

Not sure where you live, but the wild spring onions that grow everywhere where I live (east coast) can be picked and used like chives or scallions. Hell, toast, butter, and some chopped on top is good!

Additionally, there's a clover-looking plant that also grows all over the place here. It grows taller and is very thin, but the leaves get much bigger than clover over the summer. It's called wood sorrel and it tastes like lemon. Can be used in salads, as a spice, or as an herbal tea.

Pooperman, you' ll probably find arrowhead sorrel if you have wood sorrel. Tast is virtually identical, but it's easier to get a lot. Don't eat whole salads of just sorrel or drink only sorrel tea for days; the oxalic acid that gives it its taste isn't good for you in high doses, but reasonable amounts are fine,

Here's more info on the arrowhead sorrel.

https://extension.umass.edu/landscape/weeds/rumex-acetosella

It's yellow woodsorrel specifically. As long as you cook it, that will break down the acid and eliminate the problems. A bit raw is fine though :).

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3402 on: May 19, 2015, 07:58:51 AM »
I took down the curtains in my living room. I realised I had been washing them so much as my pets keep rubbing their fur off onto them. I cleaned them and put them away and hopefully this will make the room look bigger and brighter.

I also got a free grocery item with my shopping delivery, I have also had a free trial with them for six months now so no delivery charge either.:)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3403 on: May 19, 2015, 08:04:25 AM »
Devoted some time to processing and freezing the rusty mushrooms and wrinkled peppers in the fridge.  We haven't been feeling good here so stuff didn't get cooked and eaten on schedule. I will be glad to find them in the freezer the next time I make pasta sauce.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #3404 on: May 19, 2015, 01:26:47 PM »
Goodwill shopped for jeans, sport shoes and sandals.  Got two pairs of soccer shoes, one pair of boys sandals, 5 pairs of jeans, pair each of athletic pants/khaki pants/ and khaki shorts for $48.  Woo hoo!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3405 on: May 19, 2015, 01:51:45 PM »
Picked the green onion tops that were going to seed in my garden and chopped them on top of my lunch

Not sure where you live, but the wild spring onions that grow everywhere where I live (east coast) can be picked and used like chives or scallions. Hell, toast, butter, and some chopped on top is good!

Additionally, there's a clover-looking plant that also grows all over the place here. It grows taller and is very thin, but the leaves get much bigger than clover over the summer. It's called wood sorrel and it tastes like lemon. Can be used in salads, as a spice, or as an herbal tea.

Pooperman, you' ll probably find arrowhead sorrel if you have wood sorrel. Tast is virtually identical, but it's easier to get a lot. Don't eat whole salads of just sorrel or drink only sorrel tea for days; the oxalic acid that gives it its taste isn't good for you in high doses, but reasonable amounts are fine,

Here's more info on the arrowhead sorrel.

https://extension.umass.edu/landscape/weeds/rumex-acetosella

It's yellow woodsorrel specifically. As long as you cook it, that will break down the acid and eliminate the problems. A bit raw is fine though :).

Oh, I wasn't questioning that you have wood sorrel; you're just likely to have arrowhead as well.

CharlesSowAV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3406 on: May 19, 2015, 03:54:20 PM »
We asked the neighbor to split the cost of the back fence with us. We had already paid, but he said he would do his portion ($700). That's a $700 savings!

What's NOT mustachian is that we overdrew our checking account today. We have 30K in another bank's savings and didn't realize our main checking was getting low. They charged us a $44 overdraft fee.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3407 on: May 19, 2015, 07:05:21 PM »
What's NOT mustachian is that we overdrew our checking account today. We have 30K in another bank's savings and didn't realize our main checking was getting low. They charged us a $44 overdraft fee.

Ouch! Did you call or visit and talk to them? With my credit union, the one time I overdrew my checking account, I was able to talk to them and get them to transfer funds I had in savings in the same institution. They covered the check after all and just charged me $5 or so. They then set it up to transfer funds automatically in that situation. With some banks and credit unions you can set up a checking line of credit so that the overdraft becomes a loan, and if you catch it quickly enough and pay it back, there would only be a few cents interest for the day or two.

Today I had simple meals at home plus trail mix and a granola bar at work with some office coffee. I found a box of Jello flan in the cupboard that I bought ages ago on clearance for 50 cents, so I made that tonight to use it up. It's almost time to do a taste test.

sunshine

• Stubble
« Reply #3408 on: May 19, 2015, 07:44:09 PM »
Kept the heat off. Brrr!
Cooked some bargain pork for dinner
Made chicken salad for lunches tomorrow out of last night's chicken.
Stayed home!
Got some great free advice on a potential rental. That might have saved me a bundle and a big mistake.
Found a table that could be used in the spare bedroom in the garage. Top looked awful so I redid a tablecloth I had to make it work.
Didn't let my piggy pup win at begging for seconds.

CharlesSowAV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3409 on: May 19, 2015, 07:49:56 PM »

Ouch! Did you call or visit and talk to them? With my credit union, the one time I overdrew my checking account, I was able to talk to them and get them to transfer funds I had in savings in the same institution. They covered the check after all and just charged me $5 or so. They then set it up to transfer funds automatically in that situation. With some banks and credit unions you can set up a checking line of credit so that the overdraft becomes a loan, and if you catch it quickly enough and pay it back, there would only be a few cents interest for the day or two.

Yay! It turns out, that $44 overdraft "fee" was actually just money they took out of our savings to cover the difference. It was our money and they didn't charge a fee.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3410 on: May 19, 2015, 07:55:32 PM »
Yay! It turns out, that $44 overdraft "fee" was actually just money they took out of our savings to cover the difference. It was our money and they didn't charge a fee.

That's great! Good for you.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3411 on: May 20, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »
Using up the last of the broccoli soup for breakfast.  Very yummy. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3412 on: May 20, 2015, 07:54:56 PM »
Working with a couple visiting artists this week. It's a bit of a party all day and everyone wants to get lunch out together.  I'm enjoying the crowd, but I cooked and planned lunch for the week, so I've been taking my leftovers along to an assortment of local burger joints. I ordered fries to accompany my left overs one day but haven't bothered the other days. With everyone else ordering things no one seems to mind.  I'm looking forward to supplementing tomorrow's lunch with a scoop of chocolate ice cream... next week I'll be back to lunch alone at my desk. ;)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3413 on: May 20, 2015, 08:14:40 PM »
Harvested potatoes, eggs and fava beans.

Used up the last of some free oatmeal for breakfast, made coffee at home and carried it around in a Thermos to morning errands.

Made chicken stock and remouillage, ate assorted chicken leftovers.

Did my regular Wednesday morning fillup. (I superstitiously believe that gas prices might be lower on Wed. than on weekends or Mondays, but no matter what, I'm sure the gas station is less crowded on Wed morning!)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3414 on: May 21, 2015, 03:01:37 AM »
Pegged out washing in the dark this morning.

Found a $5 note as I was getting off the train, and I was the last person in the carriage so I only felt a tiny bit guilty about keeping it. (I've just been reading the early days of this thread, I had no idea found money was such a thing!)

My husband is still away so I've been eating vegetarian meals for dinner, in addition to porridge for breakfast and leftovers for work lunches.

And, as always, we've stayed in touch for free through Facetime or Viber while he's been away.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3415 on: May 21, 2015, 05:02:58 AM »
Not really something I did today, but the saving has come to me today and it's one I somehow missed. I signed up for a particular type of pension via my company in June last year which involves money being taken out of my salary pre-tax, so that for a cost of about 123 to me, I can contribute 234 per month (basically tax is postponed until I start drawing down the pension). The company also pays out a cash "match" of 30%, which I got in February. What I somehow managed to miss is that once a year, the company also pays me out a portion of the taxes that they have saved (because my taxable income is lowered and therefore the employer portion of various taxes is also reduced). So at the end of the month, I'll be getting €93 more than normal - nice!

CharlesSowAV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3416 on: May 21, 2015, 05:12:44 AM »
I had a rough day. I really, really wanted to go get fast food, but I didn't. Instead, I ate at home. That makes no fast food or eating out for our family since Sunday. Doesn't sound much, but it's a big change to us!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3417 on: May 21, 2015, 09:48:07 AM »
*  Hung the laundry to dry last night, so woke up to crisp, dry clothes this morning
*  brought lunch to work
*  Borrowed a hand truck instead of renting/buying one
*  Getting back on track after losing my way just a touch . . .
*  Two $5 into the jar

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #3418 on: May 21, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »
Did my warm weather shopping at Goodwill.  2 pairs capri pants and 3 tops for $30.00.  Together with what I have that will do me for the season.  This is a serious success because I'm a difficult to fit shape, so regardless of where I'm shopping finding pieces that fit and that I like, well it's like Christmas.  When you add that together with - I didn't travel out of my little town (gas and time savings), the $ spent contributed to a charity (win - win), it all equals - I'm thrilled!

Urizen

« Reply #3419 on: May 21, 2015, 11:30:08 AM »
Cut peanut butter and honey from the grocery list.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #3420 on: May 21, 2015, 06:31:28 PM »
Raised car insurance deductibles and cut $115 off yearly bill. 
Ran out of time to grocery shop but calculated there was enough lunchmeat and cheese in the fridge for tomorrow's sandwiches.  Bought loaf of bread at Kwik Trip instead (awesome Midwest gas station with amazing prices on staple items). 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3421 on: May 21, 2015, 07:50:45 PM »
*  Hung the laundry to dry last night, so woke up to crisp, dry clothes this morning

Crisp towels for the win! In my mind, slightly stiff towels = clean towels. And the smell of fresh air and sunlight... nothing better.

elizabeth112

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3422 on: May 21, 2015, 08:03:37 PM »
Started sewing a quilt with fabric I've accumulated over the years - let's hope I finish it!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3423 on: May 21, 2015, 08:26:10 PM »
Got my 14 year old to hang out his load of laundry today!

Cooked dinner even though I didn't want to!

Helped 10 year old son make banana muffins ... so cute! He put on an apron!

Read lots and lots of posts on the forum for motivation today ... Mustachians are the best!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3424 on: May 21, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »
Had to go to the opposite corner of the city today - 90 km roundtrip in rush hour traffic at both ends.  I tried calling someone else who was going to the meeting from my end of the city, to see about carpooling.  No luck - she had an appointment after the meeting in the same area.

So I got up early, took some breakfast and a book with me, and went by transit.  I did buy a coffee at the subway though, but still it saved me from having to fill up my tank again before I get paid next.

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #3425 on: May 22, 2015, 09:26:18 AM »
This is actually something I didn't do yesterday to save money: I bought lunch at work. But it reminded me of the fact that I haven't done that in 6 months!

To make up for it, today I will be shopping at NOT Whole Foods for my next week. I have to drive to it (WF is walking distance) but I think the prices will make up for that. To be fair my local WF has freakishly low prices for many of the groceries I typically buy - sometimes lower than the "local" Safeway/Costco(?!?)

CharlesSowAV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3426 on: May 22, 2015, 01:02:22 PM »
I usually eat out on Fridays, my day off. However, I made a big salad and ate a home. - WIN!

My daughter's third birthday is this weekend. We were supposed to have family over for a cook-out, but it's been raining all week and will continue to rain throughout the weekend. We seriously thought about paying $200 to have the party at Pump it Up (we've done that before), but we decided to just have it at home and make it an "art party" complete with finger paint and markers. - WIN!

Instead of buying a cake, I've got homemade cupcakes in the oven. - WIN!

We sometimes go to the movies on Friday night. Instead, we're going to a play (theater production) where we got 4 half-price tickets for a total of $15. WIN! and we asked my parents to watch the 3 year old and they invited us over for dinner when we drop her off. WIN!! Still planning to buy popcorn and drinks at the show, though.

I am so freaking proud of how well we've done financially this week!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3427 on: May 22, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »
When I got home from work, I did Social Rewards and cashed in enough points for another $10 comp for our upcoming free vacation to Vegas.  Then, I read some of the book I took out of the library and took a bicycle ride.  Now I'm baking some bread with bulk supplies and getting ready to watch some sports on free TV tonight.  Life is good.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3428 on: May 23, 2015, 12:11:45 PM »
Instead of buying a cake, I've got homemade cupcakes in the oven. - WIN!

I am so freaking proud of how well we've done financially this week!

I fondly remember my simple birthdays as a kid with a few friends and homemade cake.  Good for you for keeping it simple and focusing on what is most important. 

My wins for today:
*  staying home, so no money spent
*  using up whatever is in the fridge to creatively create meals for next week
*  trying to teach myself (via youtube videos) how to do something I need (rather than pay someone)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3429 on: May 23, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »
I was craving some Mexican food last night after a beach run after work...but I had some food at home and it wasn't Mexican. I was tempted to walk over to the Mexican place for takeout. I went home and had my food which was about to go bad instead.

So today, I still have the craving. I was going to the market anyways, so I am going to get some extra stuff to make guacamole with the avocados I already have at home. It was stuff I was going to get to try out a new-to-me Indian dish (eggplant bharta) that also requires cilantro. Should be good eating this weekend...

The market is "walking" distance for me. It's not my usual organics market, but it will do for what I need. I put walking in quotes because my neighbors drive to anything more than a block away and they think I am crazy. The market is about a mile away, but it's part of my exercise for the day. Plus, I can just go to the beach to cool off.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:23:19 PM by Daisy »

snuggler

• Stubble
« Reply #3430 on: May 23, 2015, 01:10:18 PM »
I've been working to reduce our grocery budget. I started shopping at Aldi last week, even though it takes so much longer than the nearby Trader Joe's.

I've also been working on trying to replace the convenience foods DH eats that are now the biggest low-hanging fruit on our grocery bill. I'm close to finding a granola recipe that can replace some of his cereal snacks, and just made a delicious loaf of homemade bread on my very first try!

Pretty exciting stuff. Next week's project: homemade yogurt :).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3431 on: May 23, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »
Washed, waxed and cleaned the interior of my car.  I was thinking of having it detailed since I had a coupon, but doing it at home was still much cheaper.

Also gave my dog his summer clip while out at the stable.  It's $50 if I have it professionally done, but the dog doesn't care if his mom cuts his hair, far as I can tell.

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #3432 on: May 23, 2015, 05:09:18 PM »
Waited to buy some things at Lowe's till today so I could get my 10% veteran's discount.  Saved about 8 1/2 dollars.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3433 on: May 23, 2015, 08:08:50 PM »
This morning, I earned a little extra money teaching martial arts classes and then I got home and played some free My Vegas on Facebook for a while.  I hit the 1000 loyalty point wedge on my daily spin and got an extra 3000 loyalty points.  I'll save them to put them toward free show tickets for next year's free vacation to Las Vegas.  (We've already cashed in all the loyalty points we needed for this year's free trip to Vegas.)  Or maybe I'll go to Memphis and use them at MGM's resort in Tunica, MS.  I haven't decided yet.

Dinner tonight was chicken a la king with some chicken that was given to us by a friend, peas we grew in last year's garden, and milk and cream-of-mushroom soup we bought in bulk at the warehouse store.  All on top of thick slices of homemade wheat bread I made yesterday in our bread machine powered by solar energy.  My wife said she loved it, so I guess everything turned out all right.  We ate dinner while we watched a few episodes of "The Flash" that I recorded on a DVR off our local CW affiliate over-the-air.  We really love that show.  It's so entertaining.

We set a new record for solar energy production at our house today: 25.5 kWh.  That's good because we've banked over 220 kWh extra so far to use for air conditioning in July and August (when temperatures range from 90-100 degrees F during the day).  All that extra solar energy is also really useful for charging up my wife's plug-in hybrid so we can travel around without using any gasoline.  It's also good for our electric powered lawnmower, trimmer, and blower.

Mustachianism sure is a good lifestyle.

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #3434 on: May 23, 2015, 11:04:53 PM »
Fixed the rear derailleur on both mountain bikes so we can go biking tomorrow.  Saved $120.  The pawl of the ratchet-pawl assembly on the speed shifter was sticking on both.  Cleaned and lubricated the pawl; it works great now.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3435 on: May 24, 2015, 01:26:17 AM »
Today we were shopping at Winco and someone had taped 2 "buy one get $1 off the second one" on some Kraft Italian dressings. I have read about people doing this before but have never been the recipient of such kindness. Must remember to pay it forward!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3436 on: May 24, 2015, 08:13:20 AM »
Went garage saling yesterday and bought a vintage plate for 10 cents. It will make a lovely addition to my country kitchen redecorating project.

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #3437 on: May 24, 2015, 01:23:35 PM »
I fixed the flag on my mailbox this weekend. It fell off because one of the plastic pegs snapped, so I drilled a hole through where the peg had been and re-attached it to the mailbox using a nut and bolt I found in my junk drawer. I suppose it only saved me $4 since that is how much a flag replacement kit goes for, but you can't beat free.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3438 on: May 24, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »
So far today I've screened 5 wheelbarrow loads of compost to spread on the veggie garden.  About to head down there and do a couple more.

Cleaned horse blankets with the pressure washer.  Other people pay about $20 per blanket to have them laundered each spring.

Vacuumed my truck at home instead of taking it to the car wash that is $8 and includes unlimited vacuuming.

Stayed home all day.

Dinner included leeks, lettuce and green onions from the garden.  Breakfast was homegrown eggs.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3439 on: May 24, 2015, 06:23:54 PM »
Stayed home, bought nothing.

Got husband to pee in my watering can because my peppers are looking a little yellowish in the leaves (I'm on medication, so he's nominated for fertilizer duty).

Fertilized my peppers (dilute, dilute, dilute, as Dr. Bronner would say).

Drafted a grant proposal which would actually have some (okay a lot) of supplemental salary for me if we get it.

Ate our first fully home grown salads of the season. Well, technically I ate all the spinach when it bolted, but this was the first for both of us getting a fully homegrown, and not foraged, salad.

Hung out many loads of laundry.

Opened the windows until it started to heat up this morning (open overnight). Need to check the weather t see if it will be cool enough tonight to do it again,

Tenlha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3440 on: May 25, 2015, 08:56:15 AM »
We slept with the a/c on 76. This is huge for us. We've always had it on 68 at night. We keep it a little warmer during the day for cost savings, and also that makes the 76 seem chillier. Maybe we can get that up to 78 later in the summer. It doesn't sound very impressive by Mustachian standards, but it's a big change for us! I can't wait to get the electric bills to compare last year to this.

Kaptain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3441 on: May 25, 2015, 09:45:28 AM »
I returned a pair of $$$ boots I bought last fall (pre-MMM discovery).  If I was going to wear them, I think they would have been a great long-term investment & lasted a very long time - but it became clear that they weren't the right boots for me.  $230 refund; thanks Zappos for a great return policy!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3442 on: May 25, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »
Started biking to work today. :D

I did last year for a month or so before I got sick and then it got cold, but I'm glad to be back at it for the summer.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3443 on: May 25, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
Visited the Goodwill Memorial Day Sale for half price on several t-shirts for me and polo shirts for the Hub.  On the way home stopped at Grocery Outlet to buy cheap crackers and snacks for our camping trip next week.  We will never be far from a grocery store on this trip but they will all charge more than Grocery Outlet.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3444 on: May 25, 2015, 03:05:42 PM »
Just picked up three of these Bodum glasses out of a free box at my church! Wahoo! Fancy glasses for free. Who would pay that much for a glass???

http://www.bodum.com/ca/en-us/shop/detail/10483-10/

Edit: fixed link
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:22:26 PM by 1967mama »

acooper74

« Reply #3445 on: May 25, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »
1. Changed a bike tube instead of paying someone else to do it. A great learning experience for me - I've ridden bikes since I was six, but I never learned to change a tube! Now I can also change a punctured tube on a jogging stroller and sell it (my son is now 10 and won't fit in it anymore!).

2. Mulched around my tomato plants (bought on sale for 50% off) and a tree with homemade compost.

3. Delighted my chickens with gristle and stale tortilla chips donated by my lovely boyfriend.

4. Let my guinea pigs "mow" (and fertilize) my backyard instead of powering up the lawn mower.

5. Made sun tea in a glass pitcher on my backporch instead of buying it at Starbucks (mine tastes better, anyway).

6. Made pizza dough for dinner. Saves dropping $15 or $20 on take-out. It's rising in the warm sun on the back porch.

7. Hung out laundry to dry. Bleached stains from white towels using the power of the sun.

8. Started slow cooker oatmeal (a la Alton Brown) to enjoy tomorrow before work and school.

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #3446 on: May 25, 2015, 11:44:26 PM »
I made a mexican food feast tonight instead of the hubby and I going out for food. I think we saved $30-$40, and we have leftovers for lunch.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3447 on: May 27, 2015, 03:50:37 PM »
Morning cooking to provide dinner for me (working late this evening), boyfriend and a guest. Saved us all on take-out. Hang laundry out to dry, took the bike to work, picked up a brand new screen curtain for free.
And said yes to working paid overtime tomorrow :-)

librarylady_ca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3448 on: May 27, 2015, 10:42:19 PM »
I cancelled my cable TV. I only need high speed Internet anyway. This saves me $70/month.

I returned an $80 hand vacuum at Target that just completely stopped working this weekend. I bought a cheaper one that had good Amazon ratings, so I still have some money going back into my account from the refund.

I used shredded junk mail to beef up the bedding in the chicken coop.

I fed said chickens leftover breadsticks and croutons from a restaurant meal. I don't eat bread, so these would have gone in the garbage (or on someone else's waistline!) anyway.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:45:13 PM by librarylady_ca »

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #3449 on: May 27, 2015, 10:55:05 PM »
Came home from long meeting in rush hour traffic. DH suggested picking up burgers. I told him to start the rice in the rice cooker. Dinner was grilled chicken thighs, rice and a fab salad. Parking downtown was $12, so it wasn't a no spend day, but I feel good for resisting the siren call of convenience.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!