Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020715 times)

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6100 on: April 22, 2016, 01:48:38 PM »
Watched youtube videos and fixed my slow flow faucet. Turned out to be clogged aerator. There is also a minor leak that will be fixed when I get the parts - after watching more youtube videos...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6101 on: April 22, 2016, 02:00:08 PM »
Went to a networking dinner last night. It was buffet style and they provided take-out boxes at the end. I loaded up, so today's lunch and dinner are set.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6102 on: April 22, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
I checked my payslip. Always good to do, but annoying, as I get paid weekly. But this week, they missed my gas bonus ($50). Emailed, will be on the next paycheck.

Very good reminder for why I always check!

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #6103 on: April 23, 2016, 08:57:09 AM »
[...]Made baking powder from scratch (2:1 cream of tartar-baking soda) to replace the supply used over the weekend by my kids in a “potion.”
[...]

I'm more interested in the potion.

My kids (and me before them) were forever making "potions". Mix together whatever you can find and see what happens, basically. If you can get away with something you know you probably shouldn't, the exotic ingredients make them so much better. Leaves and twigs out of the garden if you're desperate, makeup and kitchen supplies if mum isn't looking...

At my house this was called "Disgusting Soup"!  After a couple of rounds of using up my expensive vanilla extract and whatnot, they learned to ask.  A few shakes of cinnamon, cloves, Comet, shampoo, pebbles, pinecones, catfood, and a few others I can't remember (because they're slouchy, moody teenagers now and those lovely days are long gone), and they were good to go!

Smiling at the sweet memories of those days.......
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:58:42 AM by esq »

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #6104 on: April 23, 2016, 09:40:47 AM »
I went to a party last night. Rather than buying a dessert, I went through my pantry and found the ingredients for chocolate chip cookies. One our later, I had one of the best desserts there!  (Cuz really...who can turn down a homemade cookie?)

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #6105 on: April 23, 2016, 04:20:06 PM »
Put back the $10 bag of chickpea flour at the grocery store, once I got to the till.  I'm gluten-free, so thought I could use it to bake/cook something, as GF products are expensive. But rather than buy it and have it sit around until I learn a recipe or how to use it, put it back until I know I can use it.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6106 on: April 23, 2016, 05:38:49 PM »
Put back the $10 bag of chickpea flour at the grocery store, once I got to the till.  I'm gluten-free, so thought I could use it to bake/cook something, as GF products are expensive. But rather than buy it and have it sit around until I learn a recipe or how to use it, put it back until I know I can use it.

Onion bahji! (With I made last night, with chickpea flour). Also Amazon ships bags for 4-5$, not 10$, which makes experimentation more affordable.

Also, socca is a great pizza alternative.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6107 on: April 23, 2016, 07:05:33 PM »
i love making Onion bahji@@@ so easy too. Best thing everrrrrrrr
We just ran out of chick pea flower too, so thanks for the tip. last time we made them, we tried it with coconut flour in lieu of the chickpea- didn't work.
We love them with dahl, so cheap, but the best thing everrrrrr too

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #6108 on: April 23, 2016, 07:27:27 PM »

Onion bahji! (With I made last night, with chickpea flour). Also Amazon ships bags for 4-5$, not 10$, which makes experimentation more affordable.

Also, socca is a great pizza alternative.

A quick trip to check for chickpea flour on Canadian Amazon also introduced me to a couple of cookbooks for using chickpea flour - requested from library.  And your suggestion of onion bahji looks delicious!  Thanks. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6109 on: April 24, 2016, 01:14:08 PM »
Got free tomato starts at the MMM meetup Friday, from a mustachian who had seeded too many =) Greatful! 3 brandywine, 3 oregon spring. I tranferred them into planters I had on hand from my squirrel-murdered herbs last year, and have them by a window in my living room. Free!

Dryer started squeaking quite badly. DH and I looked up a guide on youtube and took it apart. All glide strips except one on the side were so worn they were split into pieces. Pulled the pieces out, and moved the one remaining glide to the top where the most stress is. Ordered replacements for the 3 other glides ($4.70 per) on amazon. Dryer reassembled. Small intermittent noise now, but pretty sure we found the problem. Bonus: cleared out metric tons of dust and lint, so I am sure it will dry much more effectively now. A $15 solution? Awesome. Especially because we had this dryer as a hand-me-down in the first place.

Meal planned. We do not usually do this. I'm trying to be a little more proactive with the food, especially since DH currently has pretty specific nutrition needs for a fitness goal he's working on.

geekinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6110 on: April 24, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
Ooooooo - I'm in the process of removing wheat from my diet, so the onion bahji suggestion is well-timed and super helpful! 

Re: money saving tips, there are a handful of asian grocery stores on my side of town, and I've discovered that they have some very reasonably priced exotic (for WI) produce - i.e. I can get kumquats there reliably and cheaply.  Since I'm phasing out wheat and refined sugar from my diet, interesting produce is really important to me. 

They also tend to have cheap staples, i.e. I can get a can of coconut milk there for $1.25 that would be $2-$3.50 at one of the regular grocery stores (same brand, too).  Going to have to check and see what the price of chickpea flour is next time I'm at the Indian grocery store down the street from me.  :) 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6111 on: April 24, 2016, 01:30:42 PM »
My electric kettle wore out.  Sad.  I'll likely replace it with a stovetop kettle but I'm going to just use a saucepan for a while.  Kettles are more efficient, but it would be really nice not to have to buy another, and store it, and move it.

I just used up the last of my curry spices and added them to my shopping list, then took them off again.  I'll be traveling most of the summer. I have other things to eat before I leave. Curry spices can wait. 

I returned some rancid pecans to the grocery intending to replace them, instead I just took the refund.  I prefer pecans in granola, but I have walnuts that I should eat before leaving for the summer.  Pecans can wait!

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6112 on: April 24, 2016, 05:40:45 PM »
Electric kettles are way more efficient than boiling water in a pot/pan/or even a proper kettle.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6113 on: April 25, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
Not really saving money as I'll net zero, but still worth it in my opinion. Got my home internet bill reduced after a five minute conversation with a Comcast rep, then immediately went to the website of the local food bank and set up a monthly donation for an equal amount. Based on the food bank's numbers, my less than ten minutes of work results in Comcast buying approximately 600 meals over the next year.
Nice!

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #6114 on: April 25, 2016, 06:42:38 PM »
Onion bhav hijack here, I tried making it last night, but it fell apart in the oil. I did a very thin batter, so that might have been the problem.  Any tips for cohesion? It was delicious, so thank you for the inspiration, but I think it will be even more delicious in clumps.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6115 on: April 25, 2016, 07:44:43 PM »
I bought a head of cauliflower at Aldi for $1.98. I roasted the florets with carrots, onions, potatoes, olive oil and herbes de Provence for one meal. Then I made soup with the stem and leaves of the cauliflower and the leftover roasted vegetables. The base of the soup was chicken broth made from a roast chicken carcass. Delicious, all of it!

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #6116 on: April 25, 2016, 07:54:06 PM »
I mended one of my shirts. I learned how to sew as a child, but this is the first sewing I've done in a long time. The hardest part was threading the needle, but the rest was easy.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #6117 on: April 26, 2016, 09:54:07 AM »
+1 for interest in onion bahji tips!

cauliflower... Then I made soup with the stem and leaves of the cauliflower and the leftover roasted vegetables.

That sounds so delicious!  I didn't know you eat the leaves of a cauliflower - did you just cut them up and put them in the soup or saute them first or anything? 

I mended

Glories for mending!  I mended two favourite wool sweaters recently and am enjoying wearing them again. Enjoy your shirt!

I decided to start using my travel mug for every cup of tea I make at home, too.  I realized over the past two days that I threw out at least four partial cups when they got cold = brewing two cups a day then dumping them down the sink. (I know I could reheat in microwave, but I don't drink it after that either.)

Travel mug is bigger than tea mug, and keeps tea hot for hours.  I drink it all. 

At 2 tea bags-worth a day wasted, that is $36 a year.
(omg - I am now one of those people. eyeroll/Hair'sOnFire/facepunchfacepunch

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6118 on: April 26, 2016, 10:13:50 AM »
After the recent flagrant restaurant spending this seems stupid, but I found $0.60 on the ground. I was going to combine it with a couple cents I was already carrying around and get oatmeal at work, but then didn't. So gained 60 cents, and didn't spend another 36 cents.

Turns out I get free ShopRunner membership through my AmEx, so that'll save on shipping for my Mothers Day gift, on top of 20% cash back.

Hubs decided he wants to be a bartender when he grows up. He wanted to buy some booze, but I convinced him to wait until my dad was in town (with a rental car) and we could go see if Costco had anything. Even if Costco has nothing, that still pushes an expense out by a couple of weeks.

On top of over-paying for my transit tickets by $10 in April, I also forgot to put in my transit order for May, so now I have to pay for transit with post-tax, unsubsidized money. I've been taking the El home some evenings (even though it takes longer) to save the few prepaid Metra rides I have left. El costs $2.25; Metra costs $6.25

Seems like all of my savings lately are basically, "Spend slightly less on stupid shit that we shouldn't even be spending money on in the first place." I blame the weather. And need face punches.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6119 on: April 26, 2016, 12:45:51 PM »
+1 for interest in onion bahji tips!

cauliflower... Then I made soup with the stem and leaves of the cauliflower and the leftover roasted vegetables.

That sounds so delicious!  I didn't know you eat the leaves of a cauliflower - did you just cut them up and put them in the soup or saute them first or anything? 

I mended

Glories for mending!  I mended two favourite wool sweaters recently and am enjoying wearing them again. Enjoy your shirt!

I decided to start using my travel mug for every cup of tea I make at home, too.  I realized over the past two days that I threw out at least four partial cups when they got cold = brewing two cups a day then dumping them down the sink. (I know I could reheat in microwave, but I don't drink it after that either.)

Travel mug is bigger than tea mug, and keeps tea hot for hours.  I drink it all. 

At 2 tea bags-worth a day wasted, that is $36 a year.
(omg - I am now one of those people. eyeroll/Hair'sOnFire/facepunchfacepunch

Annieme: I take the thick part of the leaves and chop that up just like the core. The thin green part of the leaves I also chop but add a few minutes before the soup is done, just as I would spinach. Since you are gluten free, if you like your soup thick, just add more potatoes to the soup and puree all or part of it with a stick blender.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6120 on: April 26, 2016, 03:23:28 PM »

Hubs decided he wants to be a bartender when he grows up. He wanted to buy some booze, but I convinced him to wait until my dad was in town (with a rental car) and we could go see if Costco had anything. Even if Costco has nothing, that still pushes an expense out by a couple of weeks.

Costco has great prices on booze although not so much on wine. (But maybe that's because I like good liquor but as willing to drink cheap wine!)  Look for Kirkland (Costco brand) which is good quality a the lowest price.  I can attest to the quality of their vodka (rumored to be made by Grey Goose) and rum.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #6121 on: April 26, 2016, 04:39:18 PM »
I asked a good friend if, instead of meeting for lunch at a restaurant as usual, we could go to a local garden and bring a bag lunch. She's on board!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6122 on: April 26, 2016, 04:56:11 PM »
Onion bhav hijack here, I tried making it last night, but it fell apart in the oil. I did a very thin batter, so that might have been the problem.  Any tips for cohesion? It was delicious, so thank you for the inspiration, but I think it will be even more delicious in clumps.

I'm not expert, but you have to have the right balance of water and gram flour, thicker, maybe an egg sometimes, and once it is mixed with the onions put it in the fridge to cool, then roll the balls just before they go in the hot fat (not too hot). Also, when you have the ball in your hand, press it really tightly to get it to stick together, and if it isn't, try to rearrange onions a little so it forms itself naturally- lower in to oil slowly-. Here is a great youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1p6VxDtvEo
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:02:38 PM by dandypandys »

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #6123 on: April 26, 2016, 06:35:03 PM »
I bought museli to stash in the work kitchen for breakfast, rather than buying something from the convenience store. $8 worth of museli will save me about $50 in breakfast purchases!

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #6124 on: April 26, 2016, 07:42:49 PM »
I asked a good friend if, instead of meeting for lunch at a restaurant as usual, we could go to a local garden and bring a bag lunch. She's on board!

i love this one!  i recently missed out on a birthday party because it went from potluck to fancy dinner at expensive (relatively) restaurant.  How lovely that your friend is on board with that ~ and such a nice time of year for it.  :)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #6125 on: April 26, 2016, 08:19:46 PM »
More on onion bhaji -- I make the batter really thick... just add water to the dry ingredients until you get a stiff paste, then stir in sliced onions.

Also, relatively recent tweak that really helps: replace about 1/3 of the besan (gram flour) with cornstarch. Makes them much crispier!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6126 on: April 27, 2016, 06:38:52 AM »
Got a letter from the local bank that my safety deposit box was going up to $62.50 a year. Called one of my other local banks (I like backups) and they offer the same thing for $46. Will move stuff over before the fee is due.

Anybody switch from safety deposit to in-wall fireproof safe? I would do that except that I've never known anybody who had a fire to really test the fireproof claim.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6127 on: April 27, 2016, 07:05:58 AM »

Costco has great prices on booze although not so much on wine. (But maybe that's because I like good liquor but as willing to drink cheap wine!)  Look for Kirkland (Costco brand) which is good quality a the lowest price.  I can attest to the quality of their vodka (rumored to be made by Grey Goose) and rum.

Kirkland is almost always very solid and consistent. We'll definitely check out their vodka and rum at the very least. Thanks for the tip!

WhoDey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6128 on: April 28, 2016, 06:26:27 AM »
Cancelled Cable/Phone - saving $120 per month now for internet only!

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #6129 on: April 28, 2016, 07:25:57 AM »
- Lunch yesterday was a total mish-mash of small portion leftovers.  Pasta, tomato soup, and greek salad.

- Ground beef was on sale this week so I bought a huge amount of it and made enough burger patties to hopefully last us through half of the summer (we eat burgers on a weekly basis in the spring/summer)

- Switching to DH's cell phone and will close my account (DH has a new job with a company phone, and my contract is over anyway).  I really prefer my BlackBerry to his iPhone, but it will save us $80/month so it's a no-brainer. 

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #6130 on: April 28, 2016, 07:54:31 AM »
Cancelled Cable/Phone - saving $120 per month now for internet only!

That's a big chunk!

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #6131 on: April 28, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
This one is soooo tiny, $0.75! 

Needed one photocopy, went to Staples.  Must use copy card.  Okay, please put .12 on the card, as that is the cost of one copy.  No - you have to put on one dollar.  But I only want .12.  Then we can't do it.  Okay, goodbye.

Go to library, pay .25 for copy. 

It is small, yes, but I'm so new to this that anywhere I have a change of thinking (in the past I would have thought - well, I will need to make more copies some day, so put $10 on the card) I need to mark it!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6132 on: April 28, 2016, 09:34:31 AM »
am at the subaru dealership, getting an oil change.
Before i came i checked their website for coupons- printed free 10$ car wash and vaccume, printed 25$ giftcard if you test drive a new subaru.
They didnt bother with the test drive, but i still get the card sent :-)
Free coffee too :)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6133 on: April 28, 2016, 09:38:35 AM »
This one is soooo tiny, $0.75! 

Needed one photocopy, went to Staples.  Must use copy card.  Okay, please put .12 on the card, as that is the cost of one copy.  No - you have to put on one dollar.  But I only want .12.  Then we can't do it.  Okay, goodbye.

Go to library, pay .25 for copy. 

It is small, yes, but I'm so new to this that anywhere I have a change of thinking (in the past I would have thought - well, I will need to make more copies some day, so put $10 on the card) I need to mark it!

Almost bought breakfast at the office cafe. Didn't. Found donuts by the printer. 96 cents saved! The little successes help keep you going, especially when you're struggling elsewhere. I went dramatically over budget this month, but I can still save a dollar every day by not buying breakfast at work.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
« Reply #6134 on: April 28, 2016, 09:55:40 AM »
Changed spark plugs in an '02 subaru outback. Cost a little over $11 and it runs much better now.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6135 on: April 28, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »
bought car booster seats on craigslist instead of amazon. 
Gonna need them for after school pick up next year, so saved $20 with about 45 mins of work.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6136 on: April 28, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »
Electric kettles are way more efficient than boiling water in a pot/pan/or even a proper kettle.

I know. I've got 2.25 square feet of counter space, so I'm going to go with stove top until I'm in a larger space. The money savings comes into the scenario as I plan to make do for a few weeks before I travel for several months, then possibly move in the fall. By waiting to buy something I hope to buy a kettle that will work for several years, not just a few months.  Perhaps  I'm stretching it a little far to call it money saving when I am delaying purchase and using a slightly more expensive option.

In planning for my travels I collected a few small hotel cosmetics bottles. This week I got them all prepped with my preferred cosmetics. I cleaned up an empty craft paint bottle and filled it with sunscreen. And I made my self a teeny tiny little sewing kit.  I've done quite a bit of mending too!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6137 on: April 28, 2016, 01:10:05 PM »
Today, to save money, I spent 250$ at Home Depot. *sigh*

25$ on PEX plumbing and spray paint so I can DIY a custom (5-sectioned, wtf) curtain rod instead of paying 275 that the curtain people were quoting me.

30$ on metal paint to paint both back doors, to avoid paying the 600$/door cost to have them installed in black in the first place.

150$ on deck screws and brackets so that my husband and FIL and build our (large: 10x36 ft) deck out of lumber they sawed themselves, thus saving us the 12K our contractor had initially quoted us for the deck (we'll need to spend about 1K to have the support poles installed properly, but that still saves us almost 11K....).

30$ on LED lightbulbs to replace the ones we have that had burned out (should also affect the electric bill, which is nice...)

Extra cash spent on hooks to put lower down in the bathroom (so the toddler can hang up her own towel!), hooks for the back door, hooks next to the front door (so the toddler can hang her own coat up), etc.

It's frustrating when you realize that saving money means spending money, just spending LESS money. Still. Averaging better than 90% savings on stuff we actually need, so... :)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6138 on: April 28, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »
For a picnic tomorrow: bought "meat ends" (odd bits of meats leftover from the deli counter packaged on a tray and sold for $.99/lb), got a rebate on cheese using the ibotta app, and am baking bread tonight using the "Artisan bread in 5 minutes" technique.

I noticed that shaving gel was deeply discounted; combined with coupons I got two bottles for $.26 a piece!

I got a piece of vintage, name brand baby clothing at Goodwill that I should be able to flip for several times the purchase price on eBay after my son outgrows it. (Not technically saving, but it will make a few bucks in the future!)

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #6139 on: April 28, 2016, 06:41:29 PM »
I'm teaching myself to make decent stir fry from an awesome infographic (google image search "infographic stir fry"). Pick a protein, chop up whatever vegetables you have on hand, make up one of the sauce recipes, and follow the instructions on how to stir fry - it's fantastic. Because I can use almost any kind of vegetable, I can use the cheap ones like onions and carrots, or I can throw in whatever's growing in my garden at the moment.

Last night was carrots, onion and garden-grown spinach with tofu and noodles. To feed four people, it was $3 of tofu, $2 of noodles and approx. $1 of vegetables. I spent about $15 on condiments like soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch and rice vinegar, but those will last about a dozen meals each. Buying rice in bulk will make this type of meal even cheaper.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #6140 on: April 28, 2016, 09:05:18 PM »
Dandypandys and Gerard: thank you so much for the bhav advice. Sounds like a thicker, chilled batter will work. I also want to use more spices too. I will try again and report back.

Today, I rode my bike a lot, returned something to TJ that none of us liked, returned new shoes that smell like cigarette smoke (!), and cooked a big dinner with lots of leftovers. I also bought a thank you gift for my friend who is giving me free running coaching.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #6141 on: April 29, 2016, 06:31:02 AM »
Yesterday I was in town and DD sent a text  - we need butter.
she had invited friends over so I knew she needed it for whatever recipe she'd chosen for the dinner.

without hesitation I would have said nope.  not grocery shopping again until sunday.  make something else.

but i remembered i had bought an extra block of butter on sale and put it in the freezer.  she found it, we were both happy.

when i got home i was able to say - you need to know that something changed while you were away and that now i only buy groceries on sunday.  with a PLAN.

(she'd been away for a week.  a LOT has changed in that week)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:08:57 AM by annieme »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #6142 on: April 29, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »
I cancelled the Saturday paper delivery.  They were going to raise the cost and I had forgotten how expensive it really was.  Everyone in the family was kind of bummed when I said I was thinking of cancelling it.  But lately it is arriving late, the new person doesn't throw it on the porch and it is 4.95 plus tax a week.  If I want a paper - I can hike down to the store and buy it for $2 bucks and get some exercise while I am at it.  DS can look up the hockey score online.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #6143 on: April 30, 2016, 12:10:51 AM »
I didn't go to the thrift - it's a Friday habit.  It's the one at the hospital, run by volunteer women, and all the money goes to patient well-being.  I love donating and buying there.  It is the cheapest one in town.  I am right beside it on Fridays, so I always go.  Not anymore, though that is where I will still donate my stuff.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6144 on: April 30, 2016, 05:36:41 AM »
I bought my wedding dress!!! Was out shopping today with my sis for her upcoming wedding (hers is sept, mine isn't till March), and a boutique we went into had a clearance rack of bridesmaid dress samples. Found a floor length oyster (light grey/silver) strapless chiffon one on the rack that was priced at $300usd- asked it if it was on clearance too- it was!!! Tried it on, it fits perfect, looked lovely and is perfectly suited for me/the venue (light, floaty, not stark white, no sequins or glitter). It's simple and pretty and Grecian looking. Cost me US $45!!!!! Bought a garment bag to keep it safe until next year ($4), will buy/make a simple veil, and I'm done!!

I'm so glad I found mustachian. It really is a way of life. The traits that you begin to embody (thrift, sensibility, realism, optimism, open mindedness) are just so useful.
Rather than chasing a dream (I'm a 'princess', I need a dream dress with a huge price tag etc), I've learned to love simplicity, and keep the important things in life in perspective.
(Had to post a pic of it- am so happy!)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:40:15 AM by 11ducks »

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #6145 on: April 30, 2016, 06:33:42 AM »
I bought my wedding dress!!!

that is a lot of classy swank for $45!  Congrats - that really was an amazing find.  :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6146 on: April 30, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
I bought my wedding dress!!! Was out shopping today with my sis for her upcoming wedding (hers is sept, mine isn't till March), and a boutique we went into had a clearance rack of bridesmaid dress samples. Found a floor length oyster (light grey/silver) strapless chiffon one on the rack that was priced at $300usd- asked it if it was on clearance too- it was!!! Tried it on, it fits perfect, looked lovely and is perfectly suited for me/the venue (light, floaty, not stark white, no sequins or glitter). It's simple and pretty and Grecian looking. Cost me US $45!!!!! Bought a garment bag to keep it safe until next year ($4), will buy/make a simple veil, and I'm done!!

I'm so glad I found mustachian. It really is a way of life. The traits that you begin to embody (thrift, sensibility, realism, optimism, open mindedness) are just so useful.
Rather than chasing a dream (I'm a 'princess', I need a dream dress with a huge price tag etc), I've learned to love simplicity, and keep the important things in life in perspective.

What a beautiful dress! And it will be wonderful to have the dress purchase out of the way I'm sure. For me, it also created a good anchor point- if I had to choose between option a and b, and I had no preference otherwise, I would just coordinate it to the dress!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6147 on: April 30, 2016, 09:29:53 AM »

What a beautiful dress! And it will be wonderful to have the dress purchase out of the way I'm sure. For me, it also created a good anchor point- if I had to choose between option a and b, and I had no preference otherwise, I would just coordinate it to the dress!

What a lovely dress! It looks bridal and festive but not, y'know, cupcake-ish. (I was married in a cupcake dress, but in my defense, I was 20.)

Here's what I did today--So I had to work on Saturday and Mr. FP is out of town. Took the kids to the hourly daycare. Considered just shelling out for lunches ($4 each) and snacks ($2 each), but made myself pack the damn things. Cold homemade pizza FTW.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6148 on: April 30, 2016, 11:19:51 AM »
This didn't exactly save me money, but hopefully will down the road: found gardening twine at a neighbor's garage sale, pretty large spool for $1. This is exactly one day after purchasing a similar amount for $5 from a store yesterday. Since I will go through a fair amount with various plant trellises, having extra on hand seemed like a good idea.

Also purchased a pair of clippers for $0.75. Hoping they work well- they move freely but look different than most I've seen, but for that price, since it is SO much less than you see in stores, I'll give it a try.

Picked up artichokes, asparagus, and rhubarb from the farmer's market. Both better quality and cheaper than in the stores. I love in season produce!

Instead of running the dryer a second time, I split the large load and hung all the quicker drying athletic clothing to finish drying on a rack. Very small, but it required effort, so I'm proud =P

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6149 on: April 30, 2016, 11:50:13 AM »
Proud of my grocery trip today
Went to Publix, but before i did i went on iheartpublix.com- superdeals tab, made my list printed 6 coupons.. knew i had to spend 50$ to get the 10$ off gas card deal.. went in with calculator- checked sale aisle too- score for super cheap fave olives and gluten free chocolate cake mix.
So spent $85.74  saved $58.55 came away with tons of food, cat litter etc stuff i needed, and a 50$ card for gas! NICE