Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021009 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12400 on: January 22, 2019, 11:57:14 PM »
Noticed a charge on my credit card that I didn't authorize. Contacted the company to see what was up and it turned out to be a recurring annual charge (eyeroll... FFS!) because they decided that me spending $20 one time meant that I should just be automatically charged every year forever without warning. Yikes. Anyway, I convinced them to refund my money and cancel everything.

Also did the math on a membership I bought a year ago and decided it was worth re-upping for this year.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12401 on: January 23, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »
made two returns,  a pain,
for a total of 9$.  it's the thought that counts

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12402 on: January 23, 2019, 08:19:38 PM »
Cleaned stalls again today, so that's $55 off next month's board.

Horseshoer screwed up his scheduling so he knocked $30 off my bill, plus he was able to re-use the special shoe he made for my horse so another $30 saved there.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12403 on: January 24, 2019, 01:50:25 AM »
We are eating all the food in the freezer this week since we couldn't get the door to close. Of course there's a reason why some things stay in the freezer for months while other things are used up really quickly - any type of food that you can just throw in the microwave and eat as a complete meal is gone soon. Anything that we're not sure about what it is gets pushed to the back. 

We have been eating some interesting combinations but so far it has all turned out to be nice food. I wasn't sure what was in one container, but it turned out to be delicious homemade tomato soup. I still have a bit leftover that I will have for lunch with toasted old bread.

TRD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12404 on: January 24, 2019, 01:53:51 AM »
Noticed a charge on my credit card that I didn't authorize. Contacted the company to see what was up and it turned out to be a recurring annual charge (eyeroll... FFS!) because they decided that me spending $20 one time meant that I should just be automatically charged every year forever without warning.

I had this happen to me. cc company reversed it but I still don’t know what it’s for and that bugs me. It’s a recurring annual fee of $20 but it’s the first year of the renewal and I have no idea what it might be. Annoying.

TRD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12405 on: January 24, 2019, 01:53:21 AM »
Noticed a charge on my credit card that I didn't authorize. Contacted the company to see what was up and it turned out to be a recurring annual charge (eyeroll... FFS!) because they decided that me spending $20 one time meant that I should just be automatically charged every year forever without warning.

I had this happen to me. cc company reversed it but I still don’t know what it’s for and that bugs me. It’s a recurring annual fee of $20 but it’s the first year of the renewal and I have no idea what it might be. Annoying.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12406 on: January 24, 2019, 09:27:59 PM »
Made a delicious home made tomato soup. Healthy and low calorie. Had in it, carrot, onion, tomatoes, red bell pepper, garlic...other stuff.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12407 on: January 24, 2019, 11:00:41 PM »
It was 75F (23C) today so put two loads of laundry out to dry on the clothesline.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12408 on: January 24, 2019, 11:01:56 PM »
Installed a window from scatch in the laundry.  Cost around $100 all up.  Gotta love diy.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12409 on: January 25, 2019, 03:24:02 AM »
The shoulderbelt of my leather messenger bag snapped yesterday. The thing was worn through, but I don't want to buy a new bag just because of broken part if the rest is still decent. After thinking about replacement parts for it, I remembered my Dad has a similar bag in the attic somewhere - not used for decades and he's happy to part with it.

I'm staying home sick today. Not fun, but it does save on fuel and dog walker. Counting small blessings.
Dinner will be something soup-y probably.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12410 on: January 26, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »
Returned two unused items to Michael’s for $9.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12411 on: January 26, 2019, 11:35:30 AM »
We're trying to eat most of the food in the house and today I made a nice curry with ingredients from the pantry / freezer (spinach, chickpeas, onions, tomato sauce) that we had with rice. The recipe is usually enough for 4 people, but today we were both hungry so we ate most of it already.

We didn't have to buy any of the ingredients, so technically we didn't spend money at all, but it's a very cheap dish anyway. I think I originally found the recipe on budgetbytes years ago. I've cooked it for many guests and so far everyone has loved it. It's both gluten free and vegan, so it's suitable for many people.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12412 on: January 26, 2019, 10:10:53 PM »
INSOURCING: Installed safety latches, dishtowel racks and storage baskets today without hiring a handyman or babyproofing service.

USE IT UP: Started my first-ever batch of apple cider vinegar.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 06:57:05 PM by jengod »

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12413 on: January 27, 2019, 07:49:16 AM »
Friday:  cooked and ate at home all day
Saturday:  cooked and ate at home all day.  Friend came over for brunch.
Sunday:  will cook at eat at home all day.  Another friend over for dinner.

Went to gym.  Read books.  Read about cooking.  Will cook meals for work lunches today. 

Sold $5k worth of Ibonds at 0% and will re-buy them at the new 0.5% fixed rate.  That'll be an extra $20 this year.  (Not much, but they are just the most conservative part of my bond allocation.)

Ducknald Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #12414 on: January 27, 2019, 08:03:39 AM »
My wife cut my hair, which she has been doing every month for the last 8 years. Savings so far 8 x 12 * 15 = £1440.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12415 on: January 27, 2019, 08:16:32 AM »
Will have dinner alone tonight and will eat yesterday's leftovers. I'm preparing for exams this whole weekend so I don't expect to spend money on anything.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12416 on: January 27, 2019, 05:27:41 PM »
Gave myself a haircut yesterday.  Giving it a few days to see if I like it, I used a different technique this time that doesn't need DH to help get the back even.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12417 on: January 27, 2019, 07:03:56 PM »
INSOURCING: Fixed a broken drawer using tools and screws we had in the house

HARVEST: Picked five more tangerines off our tree; the rest are getting soft fast, and the crop will probably be done by early February.

HOME COOKING: Dutch baby and coffee made at home for breakfast

UNPLUGGED: It was 115F (46C) on our back porch again today, so we at least made use of it by line-drying another load of laundry, saving US$0.25.

DO WITHOUT: After tonight's season finale of Outlander, will cancel the Starz add-on to our Hulu account, saving $9 a month.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12418 on: January 27, 2019, 07:28:21 PM »
-Made (vs buy) homemade cauliflower rice for the first time tonight.
-Also, in awkward news, shaved my husband's back. He has to go in for extensive allergy testing, and they recommended a wax, which was $150. My husband is. . . very hairy?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12419 on: January 28, 2019, 03:01:28 AM »
-Also, in awkward news, shaved my husband's back. He has to go in for extensive allergy testing, and they recommended a wax, which was $150. My husband is. . . very hairy?

Yeah, I had that done.  (The testing, not the shave job).  Definitely better to go into that with smooth skin.  Good luck to him!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12420 on: January 28, 2019, 05:00:39 AM »

My DH recently had an operation where he had to remove hair from his chest and back, just in case they would have had to cut open. Luckily that wasn't the case.
We used a combination of a dehairing cream (for the parts he could do himself) and I used my lady shave on his back. The dehairing cream is not wax, so you don't need to tear the hairs out, just wash them off.

DH has gotten more hairy with the years.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #12421 on: January 28, 2019, 05:13:34 AM »

My DH recently had an operation where he had to remove hair from his chest and back, just in case they would have had to cut open. Luckily that wasn't the case.
We used a combination of a dehairing cream (for the parts he could do himself) and I used my lady shave on his back. The dehairing cream is not wax, so you don't need to tear the hairs out, just wash them off.

DH has gotten more hairy with the years.
My DH had an operation awhile back where they had to shave his whole belly, but not his chest.  He looked like he was wearing a hairy bra for months afterwards!  The doctor specified that we were NOT to do the shaving as they would do it with sterile tools right before hand which would reduce the chance of infections.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12422 on: January 28, 2019, 05:34:03 AM »
I walked to work, partly through deep snow. Washed my hair at work with shampoo and towel provided by my company.
Ate free chocolate cake at work.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12423 on: January 28, 2019, 08:35:12 AM »
-I was determined not to have to buy the book for book club- so far I've been able to get everything through the library, but this current book I couldn't find anywhere, my old library's ebook system OR new library system, ebook or physical (I just moved). Luckily I mentioned it in my journal, and a helpful MMM friend was able to get it for me in HER library system!
-Went grocery shopping yesterday after making up a meal plan. Everything they had for one of the meals I'd picked was INSANELY more expensive than elsewhere. I went ahead and just scrapped that plan entirely, and picked a different one. Still ended up with some stupidly expensive items ($2/lb for bulk carrots?! $1.50/lb for regular green cabbage? WTF?), but way less than the other option. (Side note: are groceries spiking in price right now? Seems like it, but then I've only lived here a couple months, could just be acclimating to the new city)
-Been working through our frozen meat. Sometimes I get in the bad habit of "saving" really nice cuts from hunting or 1/4 cows, but then they're freezer burnt and not very good by the time I eat them. So I've been trying to eat the good stuff while it's still really good.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12424 on: January 28, 2019, 10:29:08 AM »
-I was determined not to have to buy the book for book club- so far I've been able to get everything through the library, but this current book I couldn't find anywhere, my old library's ebook system OR new library system, ebook or physical (I just moved). Luckily I mentioned it in my journal, and a helpful MMM friend was able to get it for me in HER library system!
-Went grocery shopping yesterday after making up a meal plan. Everything they had for one of the meals I'd picked was INSANELY more expensive than elsewhere. I went ahead and just scrapped that plan entirely, and picked a different one. Still ended up with some stupidly expensive items ($2/lb for bulk carrots?! $1.50/lb for regular green cabbage? WTF?), but way less than the other option. (Side note: are groceries spiking in price right now? Seems like it, but then I've only lived here a couple months, could just be acclimating to the new city)
-Been working through our frozen meat. Sometimes I get in the bad habit of "saving" really nice cuts from hunting or 1/4 cows, but then they're freezer burnt and not very good by the time I eat them. So I've been trying to eat the good stuff while it's still really good.

In my grocery store in WI, celery doubled in price the last 2 weeks. Something is definitely going on.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12425 on: January 28, 2019, 02:08:06 PM »

Our TV just had a program about preparing for emergencies, like when the power is out for several days. We were told that you should have a large bag of salt at home. Then you can pack the contents of your freezer in salt and keep them for several weeks. This was described in old books, like from the fifties.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12426 on: January 28, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
Shoveled my own snow instead of paying the neighbor kid to do it. Of course, that was 30 min ago and the ground is covered again so I might regret that decision later.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12427 on: January 28, 2019, 07:15:52 PM »
I've been taking the cap off our water overflow pipe to create a makeshift graywater system that waters some herbs, but it seems like bugs crawl in the house through this path, so today I covered it with free scrap screening and a $2 hose clamp. This bed gets no other irrigation but this kitchen/laundry wastewater but grows us chives, oregano, sage, thyme, nasturtium and, as of this month, garlic.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12428 on: January 28, 2019, 08:49:53 PM »
-Line dried the majority of our clothes
-Leftovers for dinner
-DH drove the electric car to work today & charged for free

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12429 on: January 28, 2019, 09:03:12 PM »
- returned a pair of pants I bought 4 months ago that I couldn't decide if I liked. I decided if it took me 4 months to even consider wearing them, then I probably didn't like them! And I'd rather have the $40 back.
- sold a pair of XC ski boots on eBay for $70

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12430 on: January 28, 2019, 09:08:24 PM »
In a DIY laundry room remodel, noticed that prices for shelving tracks that screw into the wall were either 3 feet or 6 feet long...   And that a pair of 3 feet long ones were a 3rd more expensive than one 6 footer.    Solution:  Buy 2 and use hack saw to cut them in half.   Savings ~$15 and free exercise from hack saw.   The shelves are up and look awesome!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12431 on: January 29, 2019, 12:28:12 AM »
In a DIY laundry room remodel, noticed that prices for shelving tracks that screw into the wall were either 3 feet or 6 feet long...   And that a pair of 3 feet long ones were a 3rd more expensive than one 6 footer.    Solution:  Buy 2 and use hack saw to cut them in half.   Savings ~$15 and free exercise from hack saw.   The shelves are up and look awesome!

We once did the same with a cutting board for sewing. An A1 board was 4 times the cost of an A2 board. So we decided to buy 2 x A2. They are also easier to store when not in use.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #12432 on: January 29, 2019, 09:27:47 AM »
Replaced two parts on our family car. Prob saved $300. Car ought to be good for the rest of the time we own it with those two repairs. Rest of the car is in good condition. Car is unusually trouble-free for what little we paid for it.

The low battery was a defective battery. Replaced under warranty for free. The flat tire was a defective valve stem. Replaced for free by the tire shop where I bought the tires.

The task was extra good b/c I was able to have our eldest help and we had good conversations about their future plans i.e. vocational school vs Navy vs university vs community college.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:55:30 AM by Just Joe »

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12433 on: January 29, 2019, 12:08:42 PM »

Our TV just had a program about preparing for emergencies, like when the power is out for several days. We were told that you should have a large bag of salt at home. Then you can pack the contents of your freezer in salt and keep them for several weeks. This was described in old books, like from the fifties.

??  i would think that only works if the food is in contact with the salt? 
what if everything is in freezer bags ?  -i  googles this quikcly and did not see anything-  could you explain a bit more ?
 thanks

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12434 on: January 30, 2019, 02:11:11 AM »

??  i would think that only works if the food is in contact with the salt? 
what if everything is in freezer bags ?  -i  googles this quikcly and did not see anything-  could you explain a bit more ?
 thanks

No, I cannot explain more, because the man didn't say anything more.
I guess you'll have to take it out of the plastic and just salt it like you would have done if the meat had been fresh.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12435 on: January 30, 2019, 12:41:59 PM »
I suppose it might be considered unmustachian to eat a fillet, but a few weeks ago I purchased a whole beef loin for $7.99 per lb (which is a great buy), cut it into steaks, had a couple for supper, then vac sealed and individually froze the others for future.  When you cut steaks from a whole loin you wind up with a fair amount of trimmings which I saved.  Some folks might throw them away?   Today we are having beef tenderloin trimmings beef and noodles.   It's in the crock pot now and smells really good.   

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12436 on: February 01, 2019, 10:08:16 PM »
* We’re about to get four days of rain so turned off the irrigation for the maximum of nine days.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12437 on: February 02, 2019, 07:05:13 AM »
1. BOA - Bank of America credit card holders get in free to select museums in the US this weekend. Saves $16 for one ticket (it's only good for the card holder) and I get $2 off with a coupon - tot saved $18.
If they don't extend it to the special exhibit they have this month, we'll still get $4 off in total with a coupon.

2. Coffee coupons $4 and egg coupon $2-3, plus they have BOGO for the coffee - easy enough, oh and free cat food (three) from a mailer.

3. Instead of ordering a birthday cheesecake for $70 from the Cheesecake factory - I decided on a NY cheesecake (frozen) that I recently discovered at Winn Dixie's Deli, called my Father's Table which is oh so good:). Picked up the first batch of local fresh strawberries to go with the cake. DELISH
$70 vs $16

4. Used my e-mail birthday coupon from the container store to buy that five-step ladder we need for the household. Saved $15 and saved us a special trip into the city, since we met up with part of the family/friends in town for a B-day lunch.

5. Haven't done it yet - but next week I'm switching my prescription since I discovered my insurer has a deal with CVS and I will take advantage of the 90-day refill savings for the first time.
Also, I'll be looking into all the extras and prevention care incentives my health insurer offers - maybe I can qualify for their $50 Visa gift card incentive.

6. Figured out yesterday that I can put an extra $250 mo towards the principal on my car loan - so I did. Not entirely clear on the math, but I think it saved me $30 and it sure is nice to see a lower amount owed.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12438 on: February 02, 2019, 01:47:54 PM »
-Brought my own tea to soccer game, as I knew a parent would offer a trip to Starbucks
-Oldest, perpetually hungry child tried to pitch Subway for lunch. Held strong, & came home to eat the food in our house.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #12439 on: February 02, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »
DH and I were looking to purchase airline tickets for family vacation around Memorial Day.  Our initial plan was to leave on Friday and come back the following Saturday.  We discovered that the airline charged $200 less per person if we left on Sunday and came back on following Monday.  When DH searched for the same flights for 3 people instead of one, the airline decided to change the cost of the tickets - $50 per per person more.  Bastards.

And then DH closed his browser, I got my laptop out, logged in to the airline website, searched for the same trip for 3 people, and bought the tickets for the original $200 less per person.   

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #12440 on: February 02, 2019, 09:34:17 PM »
I switched a credit card account from a card that had an annual fee and perks I didn’t value much to a no fee credit card with some cash back perks. A better fit all around.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12441 on: February 02, 2019, 10:16:48 PM »
DH and I were looking to purchase airline tickets for family vacation around Memorial Day.  Our initial plan was to leave on Friday and come back the following Saturday.  We discovered that the airline charged $200 less per person if we left on Sunday and came back on following Monday.  When DH searched for the same flights for 3 people instead of one, the airline decided to change the cost of the tickets - $50 per per person more.  Bastards.

And then DH closed his browser, I got my laptop out, logged in to the airline website, searched for the same trip for 3 people, and bought the tickets for the original $200 less per person.
Sometimes clearing your cookies is helpful. The airlines know you're I interested and they mess with the pricing, they really do.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #12442 on: February 03, 2019, 02:27:38 AM »

Sometimes clearing your cookies is helpful. The airlines know you're I interested and they mess with the pricing, they really do.

Try an "incognito" or "private" browser session.

it works for me on Chrome... not sure about the other browsers.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12443 on: February 03, 2019, 07:13:37 AM »
Today is a carefree day. Just CC skiing right from our cabin. Drinking warm stuff from home. Yesterday was similar, but then we had to visit the shop by car to buy dinner.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #12444 on: February 03, 2019, 11:35:06 AM »

Thank you, fellow Mustachians, for chiming in with helpful tips.  It's sad to see that the airlines have adopted the strategy used by car dealerships where car buyers were quoted higher price if they indicated that they would love to buy a car, no?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12445 on: February 03, 2019, 01:00:45 PM »

Thank you, fellow Mustachians, for chiming in with helpful tips.  It's sad to see that the airlines have adopted the strategy used by car dealerships where car buyers were quoted higher price if they indicated that they would love to buy a car, no?

I've seen this cookie/incognito wisdom a lot but I've honestly never witnessed that it is true. And I browse for flights A LOT because I just think it's good fun and without actually buying them, and prices are remarkably stable.

The 1 to 3 person price change isn't such an uncommon thing though as airlines work with 'price buckets' and they will automatically try to fit your whole booking in the same bucket. E.g. if there's 2 seats available for the low price and you'll enter 3 people in the search, you are likely to get the higher price of the next batch of tickets, rather than the cheap price for the first 2 and the higher one for the last person.

Another thing that often changes prices is to alter the country you're booking from, even without changing the currency or language! Doesn't usually take more than $10 off the price though, but if you're booking for a bunch of people it might be a nice savings.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12446 on: February 03, 2019, 03:29:38 PM »

I've seen this cookie/incognito wisdom a lot but I've honestly never witnessed that it is true. And I browse for flights A LOT because I just think it's good fun and without actually buying them, and prices are remarkably stable.

The 1 to 3 person price change isn't such an uncommon thing though as airlines work with 'price buckets' and they will automatically try to fit your whole booking in the same bucket. E.g. if there's 2 seats available for the low price and you'll enter 3 people in the search, you are likely to get the higher price of the next batch of tickets, rather than the cheap price for the first 2 and the higher one for the last person.

Another thing that often changes prices is to alter the country you're booking from, even without changing the currency or language! Doesn't usually take more than $10 off the price though, but if you're booking for a bunch of people it might be a nice savings.

I think this is the most likely.  Try booking separately...1 or 2 at lowest price and the rest at higher price. I've read often about airline price buckets but never about cookies.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #12447 on: February 04, 2019, 08:20:28 AM »
Biked to work for the first time!!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12448 on: February 04, 2019, 03:03:23 PM »
That's great @35andFI!  Good for you. 

Today I made some yummy vegetable stock from vegetable cutting odds and ends that I keep in the freezer. Tomorrow I'm making a huge pot of vegetable soup with it for dinner and leftovers.   

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12449 on: February 06, 2019, 01:19:43 AM »
@Trifele
Have you tried eating cauliflower leaves? I heard that those taste good, and indeed they do. Just have them in the frying pan for a couple of minutes and add some seasoning.

I am saving up bread stumps to use in dishes later.