Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020625 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9500 on: September 06, 2017, 02:53:24 PM »
Bought hurricane supplies on amazon instead of the jacked up prices in local stores. If only they also delivered gas, we'd be all set. :)

Amazon Prime Pipeline™

@Rural, I kind of miss the Coinstar redemptions I used to do. I try to put everything on credit cards for the rewards now, and the only non-cash places I go tend to be even dollar amounts (e.g. $10 cover charge for a concert). I guess now I get the cashback rewards deposited into my checking account instead. But it's less exciting. ;-)

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9501 on: September 06, 2017, 04:09:11 PM »
I had to go into town to buy a few things after work, and I really wanted to eat out, especially after I realised I had depleted the post-work biscuit/cookie stash in my bag. At home, I found I had a pre-made pizza that was expiring today, so dinner was easy after all. Savings: £7? Plus an extra £2.50 if you assume I would have thrown out the pizza if I forgot to eat it today, but I'm not sure I would have.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9502 on: September 06, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »
I cut open the tube of hand cream I keep in my desk at work. Two weeks ago. It's still going!

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #9503 on: September 06, 2017, 09:25:35 PM »
I groomed one dog and trimmed both dogs' nails. Made a few more batches of applesauce to freeze (using some apples bought for a good price and some free crabapples from our tree).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9504 on: September 07, 2017, 04:32:20 AM »
Bought hurricane supplies on amazon instead of the jacked up prices in local stores. If only they also delivered gas, we'd be all set. :)

Amazon Prime Pipeline™

@Rural, I kind of miss the Coinstar redemptions I used to do. I try to put everything on credit cards for the rewards now, and the only non-cash places I go tend to be even dollar amounts (e.g. $10 cover charge for a concert). I guess now I get the cashback rewards deposited into my checking account instead. But it's less exciting. ;-)

Yes, it does make cool noises and counts up in dramatic fashion, doesn't it? :)
But I don't do it much, either - that was about three year's worth of loose change because it's a haul to anywhere with a a machine now and my bank has quit doing it for free sometime since the last time I took it all in. We do almost everything on rewards cards, too. Most of my cash use is the local thrift stores which don't take cards for purchases under $5.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9505 on: September 07, 2017, 05:49:58 AM »
I never let myself enjoy coinstar because of the big fees.

But earlier this week I was at the hated Walmart self checkout and realized I could dump change in. So I popped in all my change before feeding the machine a bill. So delightful! And I'm switching to a cash only system for the fall, so it kept me nicely on track while giving me somewhere to buy groceries if I get down to small change

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9506 on: September 07, 2017, 06:27:49 AM »
My local Piggly Wiggly just ended a sale of Black Angus ground chuck(80/20) for $1.99 a pound. No limit, no other required purchase. Bought and froze 30 pounds. Bring on the homemade taco's, meatloaf, spaghetti and soups all winter long!

As a bonus, I made 3 pounds of meatballs for the first time, using some old packages of meatball spice I bought a year ago for a quarter. Tasted great, and I have some ideas to make them even better the next time I make them.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9507 on: September 07, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »
Went to Aldi to get a pet carrier ($15) for my move this weekend and got three more $5 off $35 coupons. Now I have six. Aldi is giving the coupons away because they're closing the store for a few weeks...and the best part is I'm moving to an area that has one of the three Aldis that the coupon is valid at!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9508 on: September 07, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
A friend is coming to stay and I wanted to buy him a certain famous book about the town he's recently moved to.
Decided to put my copy of the book on the pillow of the guest bed and if he shows any interest, I'll tell him he can have it.

I like giving people books because I like to read myself and I forget a lot of people don't really read literature anymore.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:31:35 AM by Imma »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #9509 on: September 08, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »
Opened some windows and ran fans for a bit this morning - it's been too smokey to do so the past few days.

Taking some food with me on my road trip to see my horse at the trainer's this afternoon.  Trainer said she's been too busy to even get to the farmer's market this summer, so I'm buying some nearly free goodwill by bringing her a care package of homegrown eggs and veggies. Will trim horse's feet while I'm there, saving $40.

Meanwhile DH will be making salads for us with homegrown lettuce.

Teleworked all morning rather than driving to the office.

Canned five quarts of tomatoes last night, started tomato soup to can tonight, and also did a dehydrator load of cherry tomatoes.

mmmfan500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9510 on: September 08, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »
Got a frozen pizza at the grocery rather than from some chain.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9511 on: September 08, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
Opened some windows and ran fans for a bit this morning - it's been too smokey to do so the past few days.

We also did this =) Had the house open all day, too.

Washed our own cars. Because of all the falling ash, car wash lines have been insane. I just smile as I drive by, knowing I'm saving my $8-12.

Canned more salsa verde, from our garden tomatillos. Up to 24 pints now. Which sadly, still won't last us 6 months. Especially since some is slated for christmas gifts.

Offered to host Christmas again. A lot of work, but it saves us traveling over 1000 miles.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #9512 on: September 08, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »
Came home to eat lunch instead of easily buying something while we were out. It's hard when everything is so damn close, but I feel like we're building up some resistance and going back to our usual cooking.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9513 on: September 08, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
Came home to have lunch. I was late getting home because of a lecture and because I wanted to check out a supermarket that just opened. I bought a frozen dinner on sale for tonight: £1. Also bought a bag of stir fry vegetables for tonight, marked down to 39p, but they're now for tomorrow's lunch. They expire today but should be OK.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9514 on: September 09, 2017, 06:40:33 AM »
Anytime you get given free grog is a good day in my books.

Work was clearing out the fridge at the end of last week... have quite a few ciders in my fridge now :)

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #9515 on: September 09, 2017, 07:16:30 AM »
Returning my work rental car today, I saved $ by taking 2 modes of public transit vice uber or taxi.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9516 on: September 09, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
I've been doing a bit of online window shopping over the past couple of weeks, looking at things for my balcony. Lanterns, boho prints, glassware, etc.

Spring is here, and I want it to be beautiful when friends come over for dinner, drinks, barbecues, etc.

Instead of spending money, I got out there and cleaned it. Scrubbed the balcony railings, cleaned the barbecue, threw a few things out, wiped down the furniture.

I went through my stash of empty jars and found a few that will be perfect with 6mm Ikea tea lights, and I'll string up my copper wire fairy lights.

It was a great example of the importance of identifying the trigger behind the desire to spend.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9517 on: September 09, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »
I've been doing a bit of online window shopping over the past couple of weeks, looking at things for my balcony. Lanterns, boho prints, glassware, etc.

Spring is here, and I want it to be beautiful when friends come over for dinner, drinks, barbecues, etc.

Instead of spending money, I got out there and cleaned it. Scrubbed the balcony railings, cleaned the barbecue, threw a few things out, wiped down the furniture.

I went through my stash of empty jars and found a few that will be perfect with 6mm Ikea tea lights, and I'll string up my copper wire fairy lights.

It was a great example of the importance of identifying the trigger behind the desire to spend.

Very nice. It sounds like it will be great for gatherings.

I'm feeling similarly pleased with myself for having rearranged my furniture, swept the floors, done the laundry and taken out the garbage and recycling today. I picked up a used bookcase for £5 yesterday, and that's helped considerably with the clutter. I haven't cleaned everything yet, but already the apartment feels bigger and brighter.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9518 on: September 09, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »

I look forward to seeing this! (And I should also go and scrub my balcony too!)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9519 on: September 09, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »

Work was clearing out the fridge at the end of last week... have quite a few ciders in my fridge now :)

Always knew you were a cheap drunk. ;)

I look forward to seeing this! (And I should also go and scrub my balcony too!)

Can't wait. :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9520 on: September 09, 2017, 07:03:32 PM »

Always knew you were a cheap drunk. ;)

Easy to make me happy :)

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9521 on: September 09, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »

This!  I have been wanting to make our backyard a nicer place to hang out,  because we spend so much time at home.  We moved the furniture from the porch we rarely use down to a cozy spot in the backyard, cleaned up some garden debris, swept the drive, got a couple outdoor toys for the toddler from our Buy Nothing group, and now it's a nice place to hang out. We did buy a cheap wading pool (end of season sale) and some bubbles (for the wand- we will refill it with homemade bubble solution.) But mostly it was tidying and rearranging

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9522 on: September 09, 2017, 08:59:05 PM »

This!  I have been wanting to make our backyard a nicer place to hang out,  because we spend so much time at home.  We moved the furniture from the porch we rarely use down to a cozy spot in the backyard, cleaned up some garden debris, swept the drive, got a couple outdoor toys for the toddler from our Buy Nothing group, and now it's a nice place to hang out. We did buy a cheap wading pool (end of season sale) and some bubbles (for the wand- we will refill it with homemade bubble solution.) But mostly it was tidying and rearranging

That sounds awesome.

And this is why I love this forum.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9523 on: September 09, 2017, 09:05:11 PM »
Just moved into a new place today. I already started switching the bulbs to some free LEDs I got last year.

I did the math on my bathroom. The original was 4 bulbs totalling 160 watts. I took all of them out and put one 9 watt bulb.

If the lights are on for two hours every day for a year, the original will cost $15.18. The new single bulb will cost $0.82.

Not to mention the extra heat output.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9524 on: September 09, 2017, 09:45:01 PM »
Just moved into a new place today. I already started switching the bulbs to some free LEDs I got last year.

I did the math on my bathroom. The original was 4 bulbs totalling 160 watts. I took all of them out and put one 9 watt bulb.

If the lights are on for two hours every day for a year, the original will cost $15.18. The new single bulb will cost $0.82.

I love LEDs! The light is so much nicer than fluorescents, too. My apartment is hilariously overlit - light fixtures everywhere, recessed lighting, track lighting, etc. I put in lamps and a bunch of 3W bulbs (40-watt equivalent LEDs) and it's so much nicer. Plus cheaper and less wasteful. Electricity is very expensive here, so it makes a big difference.

Someday I'll have to figure out how much money I save by showering in the dark every day.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9525 on: September 09, 2017, 09:44:20 PM »
Shredded paper (sensitive documents + newspaper) for my work farms using scissors. Trying to hold off on buying a shredder.

Cooked up batches of tasty meals for the freezer stash.

Used the Pretirement app to convince myself not to spend money!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9526 on: September 10, 2017, 04:04:26 AM »
Probably a couple of hundred dollars, so maybe not small: door lock stopped working, and Mr Happier thought he'd try WD40 as an experiment before calling a locksmith. It worked!!

Saved someone else a small amount of money: BFF needed lemons and I had some just ripening on my tree. Perfect.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9527 on: September 10, 2017, 05:03:26 AM »
Probably a couple of hundred dollars, so maybe not small: door lock stopped working, and Mr Happier thought he'd try WD40 as an experiment before calling a locksmith. It worked!!

Great that it worked but please don't make a habit of using WD40 on locks.

It gunks up the mechanism.

Graphite powder is a much better lubricant for locks.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9528 on: September 10, 2017, 05:04:52 AM »

Great that it worked but please don't make a habit of using WD40 on locks.

It gunks up the mechanism.

Graphite powder is a much better lubricant for locks.

Good to know!! Thank you.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9529 on: September 10, 2017, 05:30:24 AM »
Shredded paper (sensitive documents + newspaper) for my work farms using scissors. Trying to hold off on buying a shredder.

We don't have a shredder either. When we need to get rid of sensitive documents, we put them in the BBQ and light it. Paper burns really fast.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9530 on: September 11, 2017, 12:13:54 AM »
We are taking a 4 hour train journey today and we took a small cool box with yoghurts and fruit and drinks so we don't have to buy expensive healthy food at the train station. We had kind of planned to buy a coffee (our thermos broke and we left home at 6 in the morning) but the line was too long for our liking. The trip is taking longer than planned so we might still have that coffee after all. Still, we've only spent €4 so far on our breakfast and snacks so that's not much for a long trip.

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #9531 on: September 11, 2017, 03:01:51 AM »
Receive a massive bag of clothes from my Buy Nothing group.  Sorted through them to find some treasures, all drying on the line now.  I'm very happy with what I was gifted, saved me at least $100.

Enjoyed at Indian feast for lunch.  I stash small serves of curry in the freezer, then when I have three or four different ones I take them all out, reheat and serve Thali style.  This time around: Palak Paneer, with home made paneer and the sauce made with greens from the garden instead of the traditional spinach. Cashew Curry containing lots of frugal (and nutritious) frozen peas. Dahl, made with yellow lentils, my favourite.  Black Bean Curry, made with tinned beans, 80c a can here in Australia.  Raita with yogurt made by SO and using a free cucumber. Papadaams that I cook in the microwave (on med/high for 1 minute), purchased on a recent trip to Singapore, cost 50c/25 pack. Naan bread I made myself, not to my liking, too thin and dry.  This is something that I'm trying to perfect so all suggestions for improvement are welcome. Lime pickle made by SO using limes from my father's tree.  Rice, leftover from a function. We usually opt for brown rice but Basmati is so delicious. We had Bollywood tunes playing in the background courtesy of Spotify. A magnificent lunch.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:12:28 AM by FrugalAussie »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9532 on: September 11, 2017, 06:42:15 AM »
We are taking a 4 hour train journey today and we took a small cool box with yoghurts and fruit and drinks so we don't have to buy expensive healthy food at the train station. We had kind of planned to buy a coffee (our thermos broke and we left home at 6 in the morning) but the line was too long for our liking. The trip is taking longer than planned so we might still have that coffee after all. Still, we've only spent €4 so far on our breakfast and snacks so that's not much for a long trip.

In the end, there was no need to buy a drink: they were handing out free smoothies on the train station from some new shop there!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9533 on: September 11, 2017, 06:58:02 AM »

We don't have a shredder either. When we need to get rid of sensitive documents, we put them in the BBQ and light it. Paper burns really fast.

I work at a company that makes packaging material out of recycled paper, so I throw sensitive documents in the pulper.

I also poke fun at the office staff for having shredders when we have the largest shredder ever in the back...

I think it's faster to walk back there if you have a lot of documents versus shredding them individually for 10 minutes.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9534 on: September 11, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
Bought a 50 pound bag of flour. It was 10x the size and 2x the cost of the normal flour we buy.  Should last about 4-5 months.
We vacuum sealed it into 8 pound bags for storage.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9535 on: September 11, 2017, 05:03:12 PM »
Made a banana smoothie with breakfast to use up a soft banana (will do the same again tomorrow).

I had a tiny dish of pasta left over that I wanted to bring for lunch today but it wasn't a full portion so I steamed a cup of broccoli to bulk it out.

Got my power bill and, while it is up slightly as a result of the ongoing energy market battles - the two of us are using 68 per cent of the electricity used by the average single-person dwelling.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9536 on: September 11, 2017, 05:33:25 PM »
Reworked the meal plan to put off going to the grocery store. I made my own Italian sausage by seasoning ground pork (no cost savings, but tastier for the same cost), and threw some extra cooked veggies that were in the fridge into the pasta sauce.

No driving today. Walked to the library with my son for story time and to get books.

Cleaned up some things to sell online. It was too cloudy to take pictures but everything is ready to go for the next sunny day.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9537 on: September 11, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
Took a bunch of vegetable odds and ends and made gigantic chef's salads for DH and me. Delicious!

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #9538 on: September 11, 2017, 07:29:47 PM »
Finally couldn't put off buying gasoline. Since we had to go to Costco, we waited in the long line to fill up. If I can keep this to filling up every 3 weeks or more, it shouldn't be too bad. Saved at least $2.40.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #9539 on: September 12, 2017, 12:49:13 AM »
Enjoyed at Indian feast for lunch.  I stash small serves of curry in the freezer, then when I have three or four different ones I take them all out, reheat and serve Thali style.  This time around: Palak Paneer, with home made paneer and the sauce made with greens from the garden instead of the traditional spinach. Cashew Curry containing lots of frugal (and nutritious) frozen peas. Dahl, made with yellow lentils, my favourite.  Black Bean Curry, made with tinned beans, 80c a can here in Australia.  Raita with yogurt made by SO and using a free cucumber. Papadaams that I cook in the microwave (on med/high for 1 minute), purchased on a recent trip to Singapore, cost 50c/25 pack. Naan bread I made myself, not to my liking, too thin and dry.  This is something that I'm trying to perfect so all suggestions for improvement are welcome. Lime pickle made by SO using limes from my father's tree.  Rice, leftover from a function. We usually opt for brown rice but Basmati is so delicious. We had Bollywood tunes playing in the background courtesy of Spotify. A magnificent lunch.

Wow, impressive!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9540 on: September 12, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »
Paid my initial move in rent + ridiculous pet fee of $600 with a credit card to get $20 in cash back. I'm surprised they let me use a credit card with no extra fee.

If I do this every month it pays for about half of my monthly pet rent. Need to figure out the best way to split the rent with my roommate though...

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9541 on: September 12, 2017, 02:06:30 PM »
Went to Costco to grab a few groceries on my lunch hour, and had several samples as I browsed through the aisles.  Realized I probably munched enough to count as lunch, so saving my packed lunch for tomorrow.  Free lunch counts as saving money, right? :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9542 on: September 12, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »
-Equifax waived their credit freeze fee after I'd already done mine. Requested a refund, we'll see if that happens. Worth trying. (I just emailed customer service).

-Harvested a metric ton of green beans out of the garden, and a moderate ton of cucumbers.

-Made our own sparkling mineral water with the soda stream (indefinitely borrowed from MIL- borrowed as a trial and she "doesn't want it back yet") and mineral drops.

-Bought broccoli rather than brussel sprouts since it was $0.70/lb less and they sounded equivalently tasty. Plus they're the same plant technically, haha.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #9543 on: September 12, 2017, 02:41:55 PM »
FINALLY, had a chance to sit my husband down to take a critical look at our TIAACREF account, not well allocated and high fees. He put in the Vanguard transfer order last night. Yay for data.

Also, there was a big party at our pool and I walked away with a couple of pounds of sliced chicken breast. It has already graced lunches and pizza, but I foresee tacos and nachos in the near future.

Sadly, our old car stalled in an intersection but then restarted. Currently getting a new battery which will cost some money. The silver lining is that I think we will sell the car. Not using it much and good to get rid of it before things get worse. It's something I thought about for a while, but this is the push we need to do so.

So, really, realizing a couple of long-held financially related goals that will help us long term.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #9544 on: September 12, 2017, 05:26:31 PM »
I have continued bus-ing it up but noticed today that WMATA is charging $2 per ride vice the old $1.75.  I took advantage of my lodging's  free laundry facility today.  Will return some stuff to Amazon tomorrow that does not fit.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9545 on: September 12, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
Still mostly choosing $3 transit over $7

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9546 on: September 12, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »
... I foresee tacos and nachos in the near future.

Mmmmmm, tacos.

I've been putting off cooking a big batch of taco mince for the freezer but you've just inspired me.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9547 on: September 13, 2017, 02:04:04 AM »
-Cancelled my fee=bearing credit card, which I have been meaning to do for ages - had the $59 annual fee refunded
-Downloaded and printed an email for 5% off the holiday house we are staying at next week
-Talked myself out of $15 takeaway on Monday night, by stopping  at the grocery store for something else I wanted instead (gnocchi - $3)
- Researching free things to do in the city we are visiting next week.
- Batch cooked  meals for work this week - lentil potato curry!

Late addition
-Read through this thread, and was inspired to go freeze a batch of soup I had made (and forgotten about) in the back of my fridge - made 7x lunch serves that i'll take to work over the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:31:42 AM by 11ducks »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9548 on: September 13, 2017, 02:27:00 AM »
Was late to my mums' group meeting, which meant I missed out on picking up a coffee and/or donut - so that's up to $9 saved!

Made a big batch of bolognese in the slow cooker, stretching the meat with veges.

Going to soak beans overnight tonight!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #9549 on: September 13, 2017, 03:43:44 AM »

+1000.   This is so, so true. I've noticed when I get the urge to buy something, a very effective way to deal with it is to clean and organize what I already have.  9 times out of 10, the itch is gone as I appreciate what I already have. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!