Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020613 times)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12950 on: June 11, 2019, 01:44:46 PM »
Bought food that was 35% off because it's near the sell by date. Pretty fancy veggies that will make a good risotto tomorrow. Also bought tiramisu. I'm inviting a friend over and that fancy dinner will cost like €4.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12951 on: June 11, 2019, 02:07:10 PM »
Long time lurker. First time poster in this thread.

I saved money today by biking to work. Didn't drive... so no gas, depreciation, or parking. Didn't take transit... so no ticket to pay for.
The big disclaimer being that this is something I've done every single day for the last 3 years.

Tomorrow I'll have to dig a little deeper to find something a big more novel for my situation.
Don't want to harsh on a new guy, but this is the MMM Forum, after all.  Your vehicle depreciated every single day you own it, whether you drive it or not. Sure, more mileage hastens depreciation, but the number it's costing you to own is not zero.

And beyond that not-a-facepunch, welcome!

Not quite - I don't own a car. I'm a MMM vet after all ;)
I thought I must have mis-read your post. Nope, it can just as easily read that you chose not to drive, but apparently in your case, you have no choice, lol. Mustachians also value clarity. Choosing not to own a car didn't happen today, so you can't really say today you saved depreciation on a car you don't own today. In any case, good for you for figuring out the no-car thing.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12952 on: June 12, 2019, 01:43:34 AM »
I cut my hair. At midnight, in my bathroom. Got impatient with how knotted it was.

I also turned down an invitation to breakfast tomorrow. We'll be spending the whole day together, I can eat something cheap and filling at home and bring snacks for the rest of the day.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12953 on: June 12, 2019, 09:50:43 AM »
I thought I must have mis-read your post. Nope, it can just as easily read that you chose not to drive, but apparently in your case, you have no choice, lol. Mustachians also value clarity. Choosing not to own a car didn't happen today, so you can't really say today you saved depreciation on a car you don't own today. In any case, good for you for figuring out the no-car thing.

@Dicey you are HARSH!! :D

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12954 on: June 12, 2019, 10:21:51 AM »

Oh, I politely beg to differ, and this is why: Once you've counted the savings of not having a car, and baked it into your budget, it's kind of disingenuous to keep counting it as a daily savings, which is the theme of this specific thread. The point is not to keep giving yourself credit for past savings. (There are other opportunities for that, such as the "Race to [insert amount]" threads.) This thread is all about the little (or big) things you do on a daily basis to stay motivated. If you keep counting stuff you've done in the past as if it's new, it isn't really going to help you to continue maximizing your savings. However, anyone is free to do whatever they want. But that's not really in keeping with being mustachian, and that's why we're all here, right?

Please note I did compliment them on being car-free :-)

In the Land of the Mustache, not harsh. Not harsh at all, nor was it intended to be. Doesn't even qualify as a pacepunch, IMO, but then I've been here a long time, when facepunches were an everyday thing.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12955 on: June 12, 2019, 10:57:02 AM »

Oh, I politely beg to differ, and this is why: Once you've counted the savings of not having a car, and baked it into your budget, it's kind of disingenuous to keep counting it as a daily savings, which is the theme of this specific thread. The point is not to keep giving yourself credit for past savings. (There are other opportunities for that, such as the "Race to [insert amount]" threads.) This thread is all about the little (or big) things you do on a daily basis to stay motivated. If you keep counting stuff you've done in the past as if it's new, it isn't really going to help you to continue maximizing your savings. However, anyone is free to do whatever they want. But that's not really in keeping with being mustachian, and that's why we're all here, right?

In the Land of the Mustache, not harsh. Not harsh at all, nor was it intended to be. Doesn't even qualify as a pacepunch, IMO, but then I've been here a long time, when facepunches were an everyday thing.

I see what you're saying... but I think the person just wanted to join the discussion and "welcome" might have been an appropriate response.

I did not bring flavored creamer to work. I have been buying big bottles of it and sharing with my coworkers, which is fine... but learning to drink coffee black is not only cheaper, it also reduces my overall consumption because it's not as delicious :-). For my after-lunch treat, I have homemade cold brew with milk, chocolate sauce and a drop of peppermint extract. Yum.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12956 on: June 12, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »

I see what you're saying... but I think the person just wanted to join the discussion and "welcome" might have been an appropriate response.

I did not bring flavored creamer to work. I have been buying big bottles of it and sharing with my coworkers, which is fine... but learning to drink coffee black is not only cheaper, it also reduces my overall consumption because it's not as delicious :-). For my after-lunch treat, I have homemade cold brew with milk, chocolate sauce and a drop of peppermint extract. Yum.

Thanks, I totally agree. From my original post:

[Snip] And beyond that not-a-facepunch, welcome!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12957 on: June 12, 2019, 11:14:44 AM »
Forgot to say, @FIRE_guy welcome in from the shadows!  Great work on the no-car thing.

I should post a money saving thing.  Okay, this is something I intend to do as soon as I stop wasting time on the internet.  Call up our legal plan, and find a lawyer to grieve our house value so that our property taxes get lowered.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12958 on: June 12, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »
Instead of buying weed killer, we are using vinegar, liquid dish soap and salt mixed up and put into a spray cannister with a wand to kill weeds. Also, using it in ant holes. Pretty cheap and when used on a hot sunny day it really kills the weeds in problem spots in our yard. LOL, our yard smells like salad!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12959 on: June 12, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »
Forgot to say, @FIRE_guy welcome in from the shadows!  Great work on the no-car thing.

I should post a money saving thing.  Okay, this is something I intend to do as soon as I stop wasting time on the internet.  Call up our legal plan, and find a lawyer to grieve our house value so that our property taxes get lowered.
That's awesome if you have a pre-paid legal plan that won't cost you anything out of pocket. It's also possible to defend yourself. I have two friends in different states that successfully lobbied for lower assessments and won.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12960 on: June 12, 2019, 06:03:37 PM »
Thanks, it's prepaid through Dr. P's work. Having a hard time finding an in-network lawyer within a half hour who has the time to take our case before the due date, though...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12961 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:39 PM »
-Filled out a $5 rebate. A bit of a hassle, but done.
-Leftovers for lunch & dinner
-Made my own protein balls for my quick & easy breakfasts

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12962 on: June 13, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »
Bought a cheap train ticket because I need to go to another city for my side hustle today. I take the train A LOT and I'm always surpised that so many people don't research cheaper options than just paying the regular fare.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12963 on: June 13, 2019, 12:48:43 AM »
Bought a cheap train ticket because I need to go to another city for my side hustle today. I take the train A LOT and I'm always surpised that so many people don't research cheaper options than just paying the regular fare.

What are the cheaper options in the Netherlands? Don't you need a special subscription to buy cheaper tickets in quiet periods?
I would be interested for those few occasions that I visit. Airport -> FIL is a very long trip.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12964 on: June 13, 2019, 03:20:34 AM »

What are the cheaper options in the Netherlands? Don't you need a special subscription to buy cheaper tickets in quiet periods?
I would be interested for those few occasions that I visit. Airport -> FIL is a very long trip.

There are usually deals on day tickets on Spoordeelwinkel.nl and sometimes they are for sale at Kruidvat. Spoordeelwinkel requires Ideal so you do need a Dutch bank account or someone willing to order it for you - I know because I sometimes buy tickets for a friend who lives abroad. You buy a coupon code that you use to redeem the ticket online and you print it at home.

My trip is €25 return with a discount card and this day ticket is €19 including a coupon for free fries and a milkshake.

My discount card is €50/year and gives me 40% discount during weekends and off peak hours. There are even cheaper ones available that might be a good deal even if you only use it a few times a year. Some also allow you to take a second person with you at a discount (samenreiskorting) so you'd only need one.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12965 on: June 13, 2019, 10:13:32 AM »
I'm a passionate gardener and a photographer who loves to visit Botanical Gardens whenever I get a chance. So, while on vacation in NY state we visited the Buffalo Botanical Garden and purchased an annual membership there - two adults $60.

1. The benefit - it is a reciprocal membership - meaning it is good for free entry into any other gardens across the United States for an entire year.
Even if we only visit three more gardens all year it saves us at least $100-$150 - twice that - if we take a trip to Ga-Al-NC-SC.

PS
If you go to the Buffalo bot garden - do not miss the best part, the Peace and the Healing Gardens located outside - almost hidden, to the left of the building.
Smallish as gardens go but worth it.
... tip for MMMrs - you can actually visit the outside gardens free of charge

2. Scored a new recipe for an awesome cherry dessert we had at the family get-together - I plan to surprise Mr. R. with it for supper tonight.
Frugal home cooking doesn't have to be only about rice and beans.

3. Dancing, singing, eating and celebrating a 95th birthday girl - yeah she danced:) - priceless memories. Renewed connections - love that.
This family knows how to have a good time with or without money - it's a gift:).

4. The rainy season has arrived in Florida - so my herbs and tomatoes survived our being away for a week.
Immediately harvested everything needed for a tomato and herb pasta sauce - life is good:)

5. I will harvest a big batch of various mints, verbena and salvia for tea this week.

Trip:
While Mr. R. enjoyed his one-time indulgence in the original Buffalo wings with a good local brew, we actually only went out to eat three times with enough leftovers to do lunches for four days. Then there were two family cookouts and BBQ on the deck at no cost to us.
Family dinner at the restaurant was covered for all along with a bar tab - so that was a nice surprise too.
The free breakfast at the hotel was substantial enough, plus allowed for taking apples, bananas and muffins to go.
All in all the food budget came in way under what I'd allocated.

Niagara Falls was reasonable and also under budget, mostly because we were not interested in most of the extra attractions and pricey entertainment offered. We took the boat ride directly into the falls on the Canadian side which was a blast and a lifetime experience.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:57:46 AM by Rosy »

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12966 on: June 13, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »
I cancelled my professional website that costs $100/month since I am FIREing in the next month or so...woot woot!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12967 on: June 13, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
Discovered I can indeed cook with coconut milk from a carton as long as I compensate by reducing or eliminating sugar in the rest of the recipe. Much cheaper than canned, and probably better for us since it's much more dilute and thus has less saturated fat. Worked for us because we're going for flavor, not creaminess, in this recipe at least. Would also work well for soups, I'd think.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12968 on: June 14, 2019, 07:20:06 AM »
Yesterday evening my DH caught a fisk (grayling) that will be our fish soup ingredient for tonight. Saving money on other protein source. I found a new edible plantvthat will be a salad ingredient for tomorrow.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12969 on: June 14, 2019, 09:01:43 AM »
Just raided the company kitchen area for a bowl full of free pre-cut fruit -  mid-morning snack CHECK

Sent SO a list of 100 free/cheap things to look into doing this weekend with little kids, while big kid is at a half day camp - weekend entertainment CHECK

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12970 on: June 14, 2019, 11:16:55 PM »

- Before grocery shopping today, I cleaned out the fridge, and write a list of all the fridge/freezer/pantry meal staples we currently have. Then I wrote a meal plan and grocery list that used up as much of this stuff as possible.

- stuck to a list at the grocery store

-hung out washing to line dry

- avoided the temptation to splurge by not visiting the discount grocer (I often end up overspending/ impulse buying there).

-signed up for frugalwoods ultra frugal month-it is a great way to reflect on my spending choices.

- I am down to one pair of work pants, and it is winter here- rather than buying more work pants (I hate trying on clothes and work pants are pricy!), I bought a 3 pack of thick stockings for $8- means that I can wear my normal work skirts and dresses all through winter!

Decided against purchasing hairbands at the store, instead will make a concerted effort to hunt and gather stray hairties from the car, under the bed, handbag, gym bag, etc- I know there are at least 50 scattered throughout the house!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12971 on: June 15, 2019, 04:19:01 AM »
I'm home alone today. So far my breakfast and lunch were leftovers, and now I'm watching documentaties in YouTube while doing some mending that I've been meaning to do for a while.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12972 on: June 15, 2019, 06:11:21 AM »
I'm home alone today. So far my breakfast and lunch were leftovers, and now I'm watching documentaties in YouTube while doing some mending that I've been meaning to do for a while.

Sounds like you are having a nice day to yourself. Good for you.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12973 on: June 15, 2019, 06:13:23 AM »
Yesterday evening my DH caught a fisk (grayling) that will be our fish soup ingredient for tonight. Saving money on other protein source. I found a new edible plantvthat will be a salad ingredient for tomorrow.

Yesterday DH also caught a trout, the size of one meal for two.

I put leather fat on my hiking shoes, so that the leater becomes less dry and increase the lifetime of the shoes.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12974 on: June 15, 2019, 07:13:53 AM »

- I am down to one pair of work pants, and it is winter here- rather than buying more work pants (I hate trying on clothes and work pants are pricy!), I bought a 3 pack of thick stockings for $8- means that I can wear my normal work skirts and dresses all through winter!

Decided against purchasing hairbands at the store, instead will make a concerted effort to hunt and gather stray hairties from the car, under the bed, handbag, gym bag, etc- I know there are at least 50 scattered throughout the house!

I haven't tried this, @11ducks, but I thought of it when you mentioned thick stockings and hair ties: https://www.instructables.com/id/Stretchy-Hair-Ties-out-of-Tights/.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12975 on: June 15, 2019, 10:00:33 AM »

I haven't tried this, @11ducks, but I thought of it when you mentioned thick stockings and hair ties: https://www.instructables.com/id/Stretchy-Hair-Ties-out-of-Tights/.
I love this idea, but she certainly does make a simple process complicated. Flatten out old tights, cut in strips with whatever decently sharp scissors you have on hand. Stretch and roll the strips and boom, you're done.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12976 on: June 15, 2019, 01:48:30 PM »

Sounds like you are having a nice day to yourself. Good for you.

Aaaand bought cheap sushi from one of my favourite places in town through the Too good to go app that allows you to buy meals that restaurants would otherwise have thrown away. This place always gives you quite a large amount of food (sometimes too much for 1 person) and they charge €5.

Favourite restaurant makes it sound like I eat out all the time, which I don't. I have never paid full price in this restaurant but I'm probably picking up leftovers for the 3d or 4th time.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12977 on: June 15, 2019, 02:26:57 PM »
Last night, convinced SO to just eat leftovers instead of grabbing takeout. He had stir-fried rice, I had pizza, no money spent.
This morning I ate breakfast and lunch at a gathering, and managed to take everything I needed on the outing. No popping into the shops for sunscreen, bottled water, etc.
Made a gift for a party with $2 worth of purchased craft supplies to supplement what I already had on hand. Re-used a gift bag (that originally came from the person throwing the party:) tissue we had on hand, and cards from the stash I bought at a thrift store. Decorated the cards with markers and stickers we have, and voila! Party gift for way cheap. Recipients loved it, even said she was going to get rid of similar store-bought item and replaced it with my handmade gift!
Dinner will be scrounged from the fridge/cupboard, as I'm staying in.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12978 on: June 15, 2019, 08:13:06 PM »

I love this idea, but she certainly does make a simple process complicated. Flatten out old tights, cut in strips with whatever decently sharp scissors you have on hand. Stretch and roll the strips and boom, you're done.

Awesome, what a great idea. Well, if I cant hunt down enough hair ties this is definitely an option, thanks!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12979 on: June 15, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
My pressed bronzer broke last time I went away for a weekend, so I just transferred it into a refillable loose powder container.

I paid $2 for the container about eight years ago, and it's saved me repeatedly.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12980 on: June 16, 2019, 10:12:20 AM »
1. Birthday present for a good friend - zero spend, because I already accumulated several things over the past year as I came across them.
I am also re-gifting a cool set of turquoise plastic drink ware since I only use real glass and I know she'll like and use them.

2. Instead of buying a fancy $5 Hallmark card I will use a card from my free stash of cards (received free for donating to a cause, years ago).

3. Harvested about 8 bay leaves to dry and use for cooking. My bush often gets some sort of leaf plight in the summer so I wanted to harvest a few extra fresh, perfect leaves while I can. Usually, I just get a leaf or two, but sometimes it is already dark or it is raining, so it is nice to have a few dried leaves.
4. Still harvesting peppers and grape tomatoes, enough for one more batch of sauce along with basil, oregano, garlic chives and parsley from my garden.

5. Figured out a way to get an extra $5 a month in interest by moving slush fund savings to a different account.

I blew off $5 because I didn't do the math and didn't realize that in reality, I blew off $50 already. I could have initiated a transfer 10 months ago - it took no more than one minute to activate.

6. Coupons - saved us $35 in the past two weeks plus we scored two $5 coupons on expensive eye drops. Will have a quick look online today.

7. My favorite flip flops are on their annual mega sale - so I will buy two pair, a savings of $60 total. They are good for your feet and come in tons of colors.
Normally when they go on sale they are $15 to $20 off - but this one time a year this one store has them at $30 off.

Long gone are the days when I could buy cheapie shoes for five bucks and it wouldn't bother my feet.
I'm a shoe murderer - so they'll last me a maximum of two years but only because I currently have enough shoes to rotate. 
All I need for this year is one pair of sandals with a heel, then I might get away with buying no shoes at all next year. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12981 on: June 16, 2019, 11:05:52 PM »
Called the bank and had them refund a $2.80 fee because a credit card transaction was mistakenly put through as a cash advance.

Exchanged a pair of jeans that ripped after just a couple of months of wear. The store replaced them, no questions asked.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12982 on: June 17, 2019, 02:49:01 AM »
Called the bank and had them refund a $2.80 fee because a credit card transaction was mistakenly put through as a cash advance.

Exchanged a pair of jeans that ripped after just a couple of months of wear. The store replaced them, no questions asked.

That's impressive getting them to replace them!

I called up my car insurer today who sent out a renewal notice to me increasing my comprehensive premium by 13%(!) from last year from $752 to $852. For what it's worth, inflation is 1%.

Called them up, and 10 minutes later managed to knock the increase down to 7.5% or $56 to $808. Since my CTP greenslip cost went down $27 to $448 I think I've done well this year to keep the overall increase to 1.3% for my car insurances. ($1227 to $1256)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12983 on: June 17, 2019, 02:53:53 AM »
Walked to work today. Showered and washed my hair at work, using shampoo and towel provided by work. Will walk back later today.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12984 on: June 17, 2019, 02:55:47 AM »

I called up my car insurer today who sent out a renewal notice to me increasing my comprehensive premium by 13%(!) from last year from $752 to $852. For what it's worth, inflation is 1%.

Called them up, and 10 minutes later managed to knock the increase down to 7.5% or $56 to $808. Since my CTP greenslip cost went down $27 to $448 I think I've done well this year to keep the overall increase to 1.3% for my car insurances. ($1227 to $1256)

$56 is definitely worth a phone call!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12985 on: June 17, 2019, 05:05:19 AM »

I've started to do this a while back and it's really not as hard as I thought I would be. So far I've returned a stale cake to the grocery store (money back without them even opening the packaging to check) returned a white bra that was not identical to the black one as they said it would be (money back) and even returned a pair of thights that ripped the first time I wore them (money back + small gift as an apology).

It's not even just about the money, I just want manufacturers to make stuff that is not shit quality and the only way to hold them accountable is to take their profit away from them. If more people did it instead of just throwing away and buying new, manufacturers would maybe sudddenly find some way to produce better quality goods. None of the items I returned were "cheap", they were all from "quality brands".

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12986 on: June 17, 2019, 06:54:58 AM »

I've started to do this a while back and it's really not as hard as I thought I would be. So far I've returned a stale cake to the grocery store (money back without them even opening the packaging to check) returned a white bra that was not identical to the black one as they said it would be (money back) and even returned a pair of thights that ripped the first time I wore them (money back + small gift as an apology).

It's not even just about the money, I just want manufacturers to make stuff that is not shit quality and the only way to hold them accountable is to take their profit away from them. If more people did it instead of just throwing away and buying new, manufacturers would maybe sudddenly find some way to produce better quality goods. None of the items I returned were "cheap", they were all from "quality brands".

Yes, people should return stuff to the store. We had a recall about a year ago on hot dogs and on the news they told people to throw them away! Are you kidding me? I also had those hot dogs and marched them right back to the store for a refund! NOPE, I am not throwing away $6.00! The first thing they should say is DO NOT EAT, either return it to the store OR throw it away.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12987 on: June 17, 2019, 11:33:45 AM »
Wasn't today but was Saturday.

Older kid had free 1/2 day football camp but it was 1 hour away.  Needed to find something to do to keep parents and little kids entertained while big kid was at camp.  We found not 1 but 2 different little kid centered FREE activities and free parking! We did get lunch out for everyone but pretty cheap for all 5 of us to have a very fun and entertaining Saturday.  All 3 kids slept all the way home too (huge win for parents).

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12988 on: June 17, 2019, 12:39:48 PM »
Used a coupon to save $7 on an oil change.

Got the $.10 BYO cup discount at SBUX.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12989 on: June 17, 2019, 04:07:55 PM »
Signed up successfully for a share in a solar farm.  Will get 10% off my electricity bills, plus got a $25 referral from a friend who signed up through my link.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #12990 on: June 17, 2019, 08:20:50 PM »
Sunday I wanted to get our 4yo out of the house to give DH some peace and quiet on Father's Day. Was going to take him to his first movie in a theater (which would have cost $20+), but last minute decided to take him with me to a couple open houses in the area that I was interested in checking out (not actually interested in moving, just always up for getting a more refined sense of our very HCOL real estate market). DS had a great time exploring various nooks and crannies in each of the houses we went to, all for zero dollars. And we deferred the first movie experience for a few more weeks or months, which I figure can only be a good thing.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12991 on: June 17, 2019, 11:06:41 PM »
Sunday I wanted to get our 4yo out of the house to give DH some peace and quiet on Father's Day. Was going to take him to his first movie in a theater (which would have cost $20+), but last minute decided to take him with me to a couple open houses in the area that I was interested in checking out (not actually interested in moving, just always up for getting a more refined sense of our very HCOL real estate market). DS had a great time exploring various nooks and crannies in each of the houses we went to, all for zero dollars. And we deferred the first movie experience for a few more weeks or months, which I figure can only be a good thing.
Can't start 'em too early! He'll have a string of cash flowing rental properties in no time.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12992 on: June 18, 2019, 12:42:40 AM »

I think this is a relatively new idea in Australia, returning something that is used/partly used because you're disssatisfied with it. In my experience, people fear being branded difficult or cheap.

A couple of years ago a family member had an American exchange student who bought some yoghurts, didn't like them and asked to go back to the supermaket to return them.

My relative was perplexed.

"You can't return them if you've eaten one."
"The label says to return it if I'm not satisfied."
"... but they don't actually mean it!"

I think some people take the piss with generous return policies (LL Bean), but for the most part I'm happy that people are pushing back.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 03:46:48 AM by mustachepungoeshere »

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12993 on: June 18, 2019, 04:34:24 AM »
Returned a poorly fitting bathing suit that I bought online.  Will never buy another bathing suit that doesn’t have a built in bra.  It was like a onesie!  Wtf. 

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #12994 on: June 18, 2019, 12:07:19 PM »
Refilled the little shampoo bottle from the big bottle, 1:1 ratio shampoo and water.

- it suds so much easier so I don't need as much to get it all through my hair
- we don't use as much soap per use
- buying in bulk is less expensive

win-win-win

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12995 on: June 18, 2019, 12:12:49 PM »
Negotiated a sign-on bonus for the job offer I just received!

Small bummer for the day is that I wasn't able to get anything else out of them.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12996 on: June 18, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »

I think this is a relatively new idea in Australia, returning something that is used/partly used because you're disssatisfied with it. In my experience, people fear being branded difficult or cheap.

A couple of years ago a family member had an American exchange student who bought some yoghurts, didn't like them and asked to go back to the supermaket to return them.

I think some people take the piss with generous return policies (LL Bean), but for the most part I'm happy that people are pushing back.

Well I'm Dutch and I'm even frugal by Dutch standards, I have no shame ;) my s/o is sometimes a bit ashamed of me. Returning these kind of items to the store is unusual here too, but they are the ones selling faulty goods. I'm not the one who should be ashamed.

Personally I wouldn't return something I just don't like but is otherwise alright, but the label says you can, so you absolutely should return it if that's what you want to do. But food that is stale before the sell-by date or clothing that is damaged after wearing it 2-3 times, that's just a faulty product.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #12997 on: June 18, 2019, 12:58:22 PM »

IMO, I think if the yoghurt was so bad that the American Ex student wanted to test the waters on the return policy, the family member should have let them.

Part of the exchange program is seeing through the eyes of how other societies view things.  Then again being told no was also part of the exchange program explaining lines that were not to be crossed to the student.  Being a college student is filled with lots of trial and error.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12998 on: June 18, 2019, 02:27:34 PM »
Arrived early enough to get street parking at the pediatrician’s office instead of parking in the underground lot, saved $5.

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12999 on: June 18, 2019, 04:03:28 PM »
Ate peanut butter and bread for lunch instead of paying $10.00 to eat at the salad bar in the cafeteria at work. I'll eat veggies for dinner tonight to balance out all the carbs :)