Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021014 times)

retired?

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1650 on: October 21, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »
No small thing, but FIREd the cleaning lady today.  'fired' is probably too strong, since she did the job fine......we let her go.  Earning more per hour than an entry level teacher.  So, for those that want a somewhat flexible job that pays well relative to skills, clean homes!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1651 on: October 21, 2014, 02:42:16 PM »
Feeling a bit ill today, so pulled some home made hummus out of the freezer.  Will serve it for dinner with home made flat bread and lettuce from my garden. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1652 on: October 21, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »
Picked up some packaged convenience foods today.  They're going in my suitcase to reduce the amount of eating out I do over the next five days of travel.  In the morning I'll park at a nearby office (with permission) and walk a mile to the airport to save on parking fees.

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1653 on: October 21, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
Feeling a bit ill today, so pulled some home made hummus out of the freezer.  Will serve it for dinner with home made flat bread and lettuce from my garden.

@2ndTimer - I had no idea you could freeze hummus, but that sounds great.  How long will it keep in the freezer, any tips?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1654 on: October 21, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
I don't know how long it will keep, but just put a thin layer of olive oil on top before you freeze, then give it a stir when it's thawed out, and it's good as new.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1655 on: October 21, 2014, 11:07:49 PM »

@2ndTimer - I had no idea you could freeze hummus, but that sounds great.  How long will it keep in the freezer, any tips?

Hummus is great to make in big batches and freeze for later use.  I don't do anything to it.  Just dump it in washed yogurt containers and stick it in the freezer.   I don't think I have ever frozen it for longer than a month so don't know what the time limit might be.

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1656 on: October 21, 2014, 11:11:37 PM »

Hummus is great to make in big batches and freeze for later use.  I don't do anything to it.  Just dump it in washed yogurt containers and stick it in the freezer.   I don't think I have ever frozen it for longer than a month so don't know what the time limit might be.

Thanks for the info, locking it in as a weekend project, I LOVE hummus!

purplepants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journey - Purplepants' Journey From The 7th Circle of Hell
« Reply #1657 on: October 22, 2014, 09:18:01 AM »
Yesterday, I ate my last packet of instant oatmeal for breakfast. 

Last night, I made two dozen packages of homemade instant oatmeal out of some Ziploc sandwich bags and quick-cooking oats.  No money left in the grocery budget this month, so I had to scrounge the pantry for add-ins.  Ended up with one dozen cinnamon-pecan and one dozen cranberry-almond using leftover chopped nuts purchased for baking.

I'm pretty pleased with this, and since the baggies only have dry ingredients, I'll be able to reuse!  (I eat breakfast at work, which is why I opt for the convenience of premade packets).

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #1658 on: October 22, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »
Had to run downtown for a meeting mid-day that I had forgotten about.  On the way the gas light blipped on my car.  The only fault of this car presently is that the gas light coming on could me a gallon left in the tank or 2 ounces left in the tank. 

As I pulled into the gas station I remembered that I have $1.15 per gallon discount on my grocery store card expiring in a week.  Instead of filling up, I put two gallons in to ensure safe passage back to the office and made plans to fill up at the grocery store gas station after work.  I should save about $18. :-)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1659 on: October 22, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »
I needed to get $100 out of the bank in $1 bills (SO's parents own a business, we owe them about $200 from them helping out with moving). I could have gone to a close bank and paid $3 to get money out, gotten it changed into $1s and made my commuter train home. Instead, I walked a bunch farther, didn't pay $3 and took the next train instead.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1660 on: October 22, 2014, 03:08:42 PM »
Making sausages, eggs and homemade hash browns for dinner tonite -- sausages were buried in the deep freeze, eggs are nearing expiry date and potatoes don't have many days left!

No spend day - not going out and not buying anything. Hunkering down on this cool fall day.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1661 on: October 22, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
Had to run downtown for a meeting mid-day that I had forgotten about.  On the way the gas light blipped on my car.  The only fault of this car presently is that the gas light coming on could me a gallon left in the tank or 2 ounces left in the tank. 

As I pulled into the gas station I remembered that I have $1.15 per gallon discount on my grocery store card expiring in a week.  Instead of filling up, I put two gallons in to ensure safe passage back to the office and made plans to fill up at the grocery store gas station after work.  I should save about $18. :-)

Love this!  It's like how I ride my bike to three different groceries stores in a week to save $20.  I think my boyfriend thinks I'm a bit crazy.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1662 on: October 22, 2014, 07:37:33 PM »
Made pesto for supper tonight from my windowsill basil and the "garnish" from a tray of cheese at an event from work -- they decorated with kale and baby tomatoes, and I'm sure 95%  of the time it's thrown out, but it made lovely pesto (a little more kale than basil, plus garlic, salt, and the tomatoes), and I have two lunches' worth of leftovers, so the garnish is going back to work tomorrow.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1663 on: October 22, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »
@Rural:

I, too, salvaged lettuce, kale and cherry tomatoes from party trays last weekend and made a big salad out of it. Everything was lying on large romaine leaves, and then the kale and cherry tomatoes were tucked in for garnish :-) Made me happy and it was funny to see that you posted the same thing this afternoon!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1664 on: October 23, 2014, 05:57:03 AM »
Felt more than a bit tired after six days deprived of my own home/bed (was away for work), but I toughed it up and rode my bike 6 miles to and from work. The way back was very relaxing in the autumn sun. So I got my vitamin D for the day and saved some euros by not taking public transport.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #1665 on: October 23, 2014, 07:00:57 AM »
I needed to get $100 out of the bank in $1 bills (SO's parents own a business, we owe them about $200 from them helping out with moving). I could have gone to a close bank and paid $3 to get money out, gotten it changed into $1s and made my commuter train home. Instead, I walked a bunch farther, didn't pay $3 and took the next train instead.

Am I the only one who read the first line and thought "exotic dance club"?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1666 on: October 23, 2014, 07:12:49 AM »

I thought that when I asked the teller for that many $1s. They run a hardware store. Nothing erotic about rope, chains, paint, and nuts.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #1667 on: October 23, 2014, 07:18:48 AM »

I thought that when I asked the teller for that many $1s. They run a hardware store. Nothing erotic about rope, chains, paint, and nuts.

You obviously have not read 50 Shades of Grey.   ;-)

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1668 on: October 23, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »

Well played sir.

boognish

• Stubble
« Reply #1669 on: October 23, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
Amex is offering an additional 2% cash back for purchases made at Whole Foods through February. I have the Blue Cash Preferred card and already get 6% back on grocery store purchases - takes it to 8% cash back!

I never shop at Whole Foods, but will definitely peruse. If they sell gift cards it's on, I may pick up like $1k in Amazon cards if available.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1670 on: October 23, 2014, 05:33:36 PM »
They had organic oranges at Grocery Outlet this week so I bought some.  Washed them with soap and vinegar and am saving the peels in  the freezer as I eat the inside.  Eventually, I will make candied orange peel which I love in scones.  If anyone has a good recipe for candied orange peel, I would be glad to have it. 

calicuervo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1671 on: October 23, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »
Didn't buy a new shower head at Menards. Worked on replacing a split brake line on the car.

Biked across town instead of taking the bus.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #1672 on: October 23, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »
I spent about $500 this week, wait I really did save. I did bulk once a month cooking. I think I have enough meals to last until Christmas break.  All sorts of meals, marinated chicken for the grill, beef roasts, pork roasts, pulled pork, beef enchiladas, baked ziti, chicken noodle soup....my list goes on and on.
We were eating out way too much, we needed convenience and now I have it in my freezer.  Family of four, two teenagers and often their friends. 

In the long run I just saved a fortune. Took two whole days, one day to shop another 12 hour day to cook, put my slow cookers all to work and filled my freezer.

I'll just need to purchase what we need fresh, milk, produce.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:21:57 PM by Juslookin »

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1673 on: October 24, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »
My boyfriend and I are attending a free union social event after work.  We love a free date night. 

Have arranged to pick up a rare, out of print, hardcover book from someone on kijiji for $5.  I will cycle the 15km to get it.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1674 on: October 24, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »
I spent about $500 this week, wait I really did save. I did bulk once a month cooking. I think I have enough meals to last until Christmas break.  All sorts of meals, marinated chicken for the grill, beef roasts, pork roasts, pulled pork, beef enchiladas, baked ziti, chicken noodle soup....my list goes on and on.
We were eating out way too much, we needed convenience and now I have it in my freezer.  Family of four, two teenagers and often their friends. 

In the long run I just saved a fortune. Took two whole days, one day to shop another 12 hour day to cook, put my slow cookers all to work and filled my freezer.

I'll just need to purchase what we need fresh, milk, produce.
Those looks good!  I want recipes, lol.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1675 on: October 24, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »
Drove right by McDonald's this morning, in spite of a strong craving for an Egg McMuffin.

Made tea in a travel mug to take with me to kid's dental appointments.

Came home in between appointments (live close) instead of wandering around Walmart Supercenter that is in the same mall as the dentist.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1676 on: October 24, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »
Drove right by McDonald's this morning, in spite of a strong craving for an Egg McMuffin.

Made tea in a travel mug to take with me to kid's dental appointments.

Came home in between appointments (live close) instead of wandering around Walmart Supercenter that is in the same mall as the dentist.

That reminds me I have all the makings for the home made version.  Bet we will have them for tomorrow's breakfast.

The Hub has today off so we drove to a nearby small town that has a good junkyard/lumberyard and he bought a piece of plastic to mend our broken skylight.  By amazing coincidence, we stopped at for directions at what turned out to be a salvage store and I bought a four lb. bag of masa.  Since I recently mastered flour flatbread I am eager to move on to tortillas.  Then on the way out of town I spotted a fruit market advertising Honeycrisp apples for 79 cents/lb.  Bought several lbs.  They are small and three cornered but they taste just as good as the $2.99/lb. ones at the grocery store.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1677 on: October 24, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »
Stayed on the mountain and listened to acorns falling on the (tin) barn roof. Oh, and wrote stuff for work, but it can't all be pastoral relaxation, right?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1678 on: October 24, 2014, 03:32:13 PM »

That reminds me I have all the makings for the home made version.  Bet we will have them for tomorrow's breakfast.

Can I come over tomorrow for breakfast?? :-)

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1679 on: October 25, 2014, 04:36:32 AM »
Made a bulk batch of hummus,  3 kilos (~6 lbs for the non-metric folk).
Even tried a number of different variations.

Kept 1/2 a kilo out and put the rest in the freezer.

Should keep me supplied for a number of months and was cheap as chips to make!

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #1680 on: October 25, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
Fired up the slow cooker and made a batch of satay chicken. I reduced the amount of chicken (used three chicken breasts instead of four) and then bulked it back up with extra veges. We are off on a two week trip and this allowed me to use up all the veges in the house. I had one serving for dinner and froze five. This has the added bonus of meaning we have dinner in the house our first night back, reducing temptation to get takeaway.

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #1681 on: October 25, 2014, 07:06:40 AM »
Called yesterday to switch the billing on my long term care insurance from quarterly to annual.  Turns out paying annually saves 50 bucks a year.  I was just doing it for the convenience, but I'll take the $50.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1682 on: October 25, 2014, 09:13:54 AM »

Can I come over tomorrow for breakfast?? :-)

Sure!  I only have a little bacon, having thriftily broken the package into one use quantities before freezing but being mustachian I can  stretch two slices of bacon to feed three people.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1683 on: October 25, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
Yesterday converted a lone potato, half of a tired red cabbage, some onion odds and ends, half a fennel bulb, and some chicken sausages into a dinner of sausages, braised red cabbage and fennel, and potato pancakes. Even had some sour cream for the potato pancakes. And to think I thought I needed to go to the grocery store...

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1684 on: October 25, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »
Didn't murder the dickhead who made some snide comment about cyclists as I rode by.

Saved the cost of a criminal lawyer and a civil suit. 

Oh, and got good deals at the discount grocery store.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1685 on: October 25, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »
Have some chicken stock in the crockpot made from chicken wings we got on sale and butchered/cooked ourselves.

Tonight dinner is the last of our "Utility grade frozen turkey" Lamb roasts (usually 30.00 each, bought on sale for between 4-6 each since they mislabeled them) made into a ragu using all pantry ingredients and a bottle of wine we didn't like but I refused to throw out. Will serve with fresh pasta. Having family over for dinner - their suggestion was to go out to eat.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1686 on: October 25, 2014, 02:34:27 PM »
Replaced control board of my washing machine. Probably saved over $100-200 dollars of labor to have someone else do it, which covers the cost of the speeding ticket coming back from getting the part... First ticket in well over ten years, dammit.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1687 on: October 25, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
Stayed on the mountain for the second day in a row today. Watched a squirrel for entertainment. Ate leftover venison chili for lunch.

I get to watch the sun rise in the forest, over the ridges, every damn day while sitting on my bed. Makes it easy to save money, but hard to wait for RE.

DSA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1688 on: October 25, 2014, 04:47:06 PM »
You know those little floss picks? I had a few of them, but the plastic thread on them had broken (meant to be disposable). I stopped by Walmart in hopes of finding a reloadable floss holder, where I could buy cheap floss and load it in, but all that could be found were more single-use molded picks. Wasteful both in terms of resources and money, but of course I should have know that they wouldn't sell something to let people break that cycle.

A couple quick notches made with my Leatherman on an existing floss pick and I can now wrap the floss around it and it stays firmly in place!

LadyStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1689 on: October 25, 2014, 04:48:09 PM »
I got all excited about a BOGO deal at Hallmark for Christmas cards, though I still thought I'd drop $10-12 with the deal. I thought to myself, though, "Wait! Do I have a few cards left over from last year?" Um, yeah! I had a whole package that I had picked up for cheap the day after Christmas. Sweet! I love "shopping" in my own stash!

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #1690 on: October 25, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »
Replaced control board of my washing machine. Probably saved over $100-200 dollars of labor to have someone else do it, which covers the cost of the speeding ticket coming back from getting the part... First ticket in well over ten years, dammit.

Ours is getting pretty bad too and needs to be changed.  How long did it take?  Did you go on youtube for tutorials?

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1691 on: October 25, 2014, 06:40:08 PM »
I put on 3 cups of kidney beans to cook this morning. I'll make a Mexican-style bean stew tomorrow (enough for dinner and about 4 lunches for the freezer) with some of the cooked beans. The rest of the beans will go in the freezer to get used in dishes when it's too hot to cook slow-cooking beans from scratch.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1692 on: October 25, 2014, 07:48:16 PM »
Went to the farmers market today and picked up some canning tomatoes for six bucks a box.  Will get them canned tomorrow.   Also picked up a bushel of mixed apples for twelve bucks that we split with our neighbors.  Love buying in bulk there.

Cookie

« Reply #1693 on: October 25, 2014, 08:23:09 PM »
I dislike going to the grocery store on weekends with a passion, so instead of my ideal weekend breakfast of eggs and bacon, I ate an apple. We will scour the freezer and pantry for the next two days so we don't have to deal with the grocery store lines.

gopackgo2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1694 on: October 26, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »
Made a gallon of sauerkraut.

Made a sausage and egg casserole in the slow cooker and am dividing it up in individual containers so that my husband and I will have easy breakfasts this week.

Prepped three days worth of lunches (will make the rest on Wednesday).

Hand washed a gallon freezer baggie.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1695 on: October 27, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
Made a slow cooker pot of African peanut soup using tomatoes from our garden.  Total cost $2.70 for about 4 servings.

Reused a large plastic bag for the big block of cheddar DH bought.

Ate leftover homemade tortilla chips (tortillas cut into triangles, then fried) with homemade buffalo chicken dip for supper last night.  Served with the rest of a side salad I made for a Halloween pot luck the night before.

gopackgo2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1696 on: October 27, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »
Made a slow cooker pot of African peanut soup using tomatoes from our garden.  Total cost $2.70 for about 4 servings.

Reused a large plastic bag for the big block of cheddar DH bought.

Ate leftover homemade tortilla chips (tortillas cut into triangles, then fried) with homemade buffalo chicken dip for supper last night.  Served with the rest of a side salad I made for a Halloween pot luck the night before.

Amazingly, I have all of the ingredients for African peanut soup...plan on making it next weekend.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #1697 on: October 27, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »
I hosted dinner for 17 on the weekend.  We had fajitas so I had stocked up with 45 shells and lots of filling (made some brown rice and beans to stretch out the meat fillings).

Most people only ate one fajita, so I mixed my meat and rice/bean leftovers together, and wrapped it all up in the tortillas, wrapped the burritos in wax paper and frozen them.  I now have 20 frozen delicious burritos in my freezer, perfect for 10 generously delicious lunches in the future on days when I don't feel like cooking and don't have enough leftovers.  Otherwise, we probably would have eaten half the filling/shells this week, and then I would have been squicked by the rest and it would have been tossed.  10 lunches = up to $100 saved.

Tonight for dinner, I'm making mushroom soup, which I love serving with crusty bread.  Rather than buying a $3-5 loaf of artisan bread, I've got 5-minute foccacia going, which is SUPER cheap to make and rivals bread from any bakery. It's even easier and faster than no-knead bread! http://www.simplysogood.com/2013/08/focaccia-in-five.html

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1698 on: October 27, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
That foccacia recipe looks great.  I am adding it to my recipe book.  Started a batch of mushroom barley soup this morning with a pkg. of marked down mushrooms and the broth from a pot roast that I had in the freezer. 

The green onion roots that I planted about a week ago are making nice shoots.  When they get a little bigger I will cut them and use them.  Anybody know how long I can keep doing this to the same root?

purplepants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journey - Purplepants' Journey From The 7th Circle of Hell
« Reply #1699 on: October 27, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
You know those little floss picks? I had a few of them, but the plastic thread on them had broken (meant to be disposable). I stopped by Walmart in hopes of finding a reloadable floss holder, where I could buy cheap floss and load it in, but all that could be found were more single-use molded picks. Wasteful both in terms of resources and money, but of course I should have know that they wouldn't sell something to let people break that cycle.

A couple quick notches made with my Leatherman on an existing floss pick and I can now wrap the floss around it and it stays firmly in place!

Oh man, they used to make these - I had one as a kid!  They kind of sucked though, because they were way bulkier than the floss picks.